Focus Features | Release Date: November 18, 2016
Generally favorable reviews based on 519 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
peeyushDec 26, 2016
It's brilliantly done, very well acted, the atmosphere Tom Ford has created is very good. It is very stylish and good looking movie, narratively very well done, and the story inside a story is done very well, even for a moment I didn't thinkIt's brilliantly done, very well acted, the atmosphere Tom Ford has created is very good. It is very stylish and good looking movie, narratively very well done, and the story inside a story is done very well, even for a moment I didn't think that this thing is heavy handed.
Acting by Jake Gyllenhaal is awesome, I'm becoming a big fan.
Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Aaron Taylor-Johnson has acted brilliantly as well.
But, somehow, you know both the narratives doesn't resonate with each other very well, but it is handled very well and I liked the ending which most people seems to have the problem with.
It's going to be a polarising movie, I think Gone Girl fans is going to love it, some people will hate the movie, I'm in somewhere between.
netflicDec 5, 2016
The movie is a weird mixture of a thriller, drama and grotesque, stylish with a twist.
There are three story lines in this movie, they interleave and interfere with each other and that is an interesting idea. Reality mixes up with a fiction novel and with heroine's past. I liked that.

There are several great actors in this film. Michael Shannon does not have a big role but boy does he shine there...

Also Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal are terrific.

What I did not like about the movie was the script. In my opinion it needed a serious rework.
As a result, it was interesting to watch with not much of a final impression.
yezoJan 15, 2017
The movie is ok. It shows two stories line together. The story is powerful and to show the character of main character's ex husband through his novel which is nice.
The movie is nicely done. I am not sure I would enjoy as well as the first
The movie is nicely done. I am not sure I would enjoy as well as the first scene.
I am not sure whether the script is trying to make jokes of the modern art.
The3AcademySinsOct 13, 2017
While incredibly atmospheric and well shot, Nocturnal Animals ends up being forgettable, if not at some points "so-bad-it's good." Michael Shannon definitely delivers a good performance, but most of the rest of the cast is way tooWhile incredibly atmospheric and well shot, Nocturnal Animals ends up being forgettable, if not at some points "so-bad-it's good." Michael Shannon definitely delivers a good performance, but most of the rest of the cast is way too melodramatic, and the script doesn't help. When the credits roll, you'll feel like you watched a run-of-the-mill revenge thriller try way too hard to be an art film. Expand
Peter7000Feb 9, 2017
When watching a movie, I tend to ask a few simple questions if the story and aesthetics don't appeal to me personally. Those questions are what is the point of the film? What does the film add to life? What does it give the audience?
For
For this movie, which I found neither thrilling, nor particularly dramatic, the answers are as follows. The point of this film seems to be the exploration of shallow / base and dark human emotions. Nice. This film adds nothing to life in my opinion. The technical aspects are not new, nor are they inspiring as they do not serve a useful point. While it can be argued that darkness has a use, it, like lightness or positivity needs something to contrast and / or interact with. A film without humour is a dead object, just as is a film without darkness. This leads to what it gives the audience - well, it does provide insight into the darker parts of human psychology and adds to nihilist philosophy. It should probably be classified as a horror film. I've heard others compare it to some of Lynch's work, but it doesn't have the spunk, the verve, nor the vision of Lost Highway or Mullholland Drive. It is not phantasmagoric, nor striking in the digesis.
I am open to hear what makes this film good. It really isn't in my opinion, but then again ones mood is important when watching films, and mine isn't good today. Heh, this film really didn't help.
AkumaJackSep 24, 2017
Great movie thank to superb acting by Jake Gyllenhal and Amy Adams. The movie tells the story of a woman reading a book wrote by her ex husband- The real life story is not dat intriguing, but the one of the book is quite good.
MetaSgrApr 17, 2017
Incredible. This movie is so rich powerful and deep ! Must be seen.
The actors play well, the story is intriguing. There is something in it that few movie got.
LewisDannyNov 18, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although this is a pretty film, with some decent performances, that's about where it ends - the plot drags for large chunks of the film, and the 'non-ending ending' that seems to be in fashion these days is incredibly unsatisfying. There's a lot of style, but not much substance. Expand
fra92Nov 24, 2016
Powerful, mesmerising, incredible. Nocturnal Animals is a complex story that will stick with you for days. Tom Ford is a genius! I loved the cast: Amy Adams and Jake are stunning
moviemitch96Nov 27, 2016
I was quite looking forward to checking this film out due to the fact that it would be Tom Ford's first film since his directorial debut clear back from 2009 "A Single Man", which proved to be a very beautifully shot and acted film. RatherI was quite looking forward to checking this film out due to the fact that it would be Tom Ford's first film since his directorial debut clear back from 2009 "A Single Man", which proved to be a very beautifully shot and acted film. Rather than just focusing on artistic vision for this film, Ford also gets a little more nitty-gritty this time around as well with a pretty tense and at times violent thriller of a plot. However, the film also felt a little too disjointed for my liking, as it switched back and forth far too often between characters, plot points, etc. And even by the end of the film, it felt as though it just ended while skimming past or not acknowledging certain things, including forgetting about and not resolving a plot point or two. On the plus side, the acting from Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal were great standouts for the film and Ford's keen eye for artistic and aesthetic vision is greatly intact with this film, just as it was with "A Single Man". Overall, I felt as though this film wasn't too certain of what direction it wanted to go in often times, as it certainly wasn't as narratively focused or straightforward as "A Single Man". Nonetheless, the talented cast and performances along with Ford's unique style and direction helped to make it worthwhile for the most part. Expand
Gresh854Dec 5, 2016
I had to take a couple days to process this movie. From the opening shot of this film you can already predict on what kind of film "Nocturnal Animals" is going to be. Now a forward warning for people who plan on seeing this movie, this is anI had to take a couple days to process this movie. From the opening shot of this film you can already predict on what kind of film "Nocturnal Animals" is going to be. Now a forward warning for people who plan on seeing this movie, this is an extremely hard to watch film. No spoilers of course but the first scene in the movie is a bit hard to watch and some of the people I went to watch the movie wanted to walk out of the theater at that moment. If you don't like watching movies with hard to watch imagery and really tough subject matters, I would not recommend seeing this. But for people who really want to see a pretty much, perfectly directed art-film that will get under your skin, "Nocturnal Animals" is a must see. I like to describe this movie as a mix of "No Country For Old Men" and "Gone Girl," and surprisingly I found myself enjoying this film just as much as I enjoyed those two films. Right off the bat, all the performances in the film are fantastic. The stand out performances for me was for sure Jake Gyllenhaal (who really needs to be nominated for an Oscar by now), Amy Adams, and surprisingly Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who gave a really convincing performance that was very chilling. But my favorite aspect about this film for sure has to be the direction. This film is suspenseful as hell. And the imagery is beautiful and there isn't a scene in this film where I felt bored even though the film is slow paced. Sometimes slow pace can work and sometimes it can't and in this case it definitely work. I most certainly also have to tell you, that this film is so unique. I'll just say for the sake of no spoilers, that there are two stories within' this movie that each have similar connections that really play off a strong theme in the movie that in the end really makes you think. This film makes you think about hard and terrible events that happen in the world today and they really make you process the themes behind them. Overall guys Nocturnal Animals blew me away. This is by far one of the best movies of the year, it's definitely my favorite mystery, drama of the year, and if you're into powerful, intense thrillers that are artsy but not over the top artsy, I think you'll love Nocturnal Animals like I did. For me, overall, Nocturnal Animals gets a score of 10/10 and a grade of an A+. Expand
HipsterDufusDec 18, 2016
Really really good. The movie hooks you from the beginning imagery daring you to look away. Disgusted while intrigued. The story was really good and unpredictable. Just when you think you have the story figured out, it changes directionReally really good. The movie hooks you from the beginning imagery daring you to look away. Disgusted while intrigued. The story was really good and unpredictable. Just when you think you have the story figured out, it changes direction and by the end you find yourself completely enthralled and thinking about what you were just shown. I'd have given the picture a 10, but it didn't leave me with any positive feelings when I left the theater. However, it was really, really good! Expand
KaptenVideoJan 29, 2017
That's some terrifying **** right there! Fashion designer Tom Ford has written and directed his second movie, a multifaceted revenge thriller which is even better than his first, 2009's "A Single Man".

Both are visually stylish, of course,

Both are visually stylish, of course, which is expected from fashion guru, both have interesting premise and good actors, and both have this cold, unsettling atmosphere which tries to keep the viewer at some distance.

In short, Ford has managed to take everything good from his solid debut project and bring it to the next level with "Nocturnal Animals". It's more lively, gripping, effortlessly cool and deeper. There are two stories, interwined in a way which may make viewers wonder whether it's real or imagined by the character. But it is ambiguous in a best possible way, not trying to f--k with our minds and then leave us hanging.

An unhappily married woman (Amy Adams) thinks she wants his first husband (Jake Gyllenhaal) back. And she reads his novel, a violent thriller, which seems like a revenge tale. And then things get more, er, complex.

On-screen events are exciting already but Ford the writer turns out surprisingly skillful at making it even varied, without getting stuck or losing steam, or letting us think that we know where all this ends up. He even playfully takes jabs at his main fashion job and the lifestyle and personal sacrifices that come with it. And the whole result really makes you feel something for the characters, unlike many of the thrillers that only manage to arouse the viewer during their best bits.

It's not mostly about Adams and Gyllenhaal. There is a number of smaller but important characters and cool performances. We have Michael Shannon, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Isla Fisher, Armie Hammer, Michael Sheen, Laura Linney.

The cast is good enough reason to watch it. Everybody adds something worthwhile to the experience, even Sheen and Fisher and especially Linney who all have rather small roles used to move the story along. Shannon brings his usual magnetic mix of cool and creepy. Gyllenhaal manages to move between having balls and ball-less state without turning unbelievable or too heroic. Taylor-Johnson as the bad guy even got a Golden Globe for his work (the only one for the movie although Tom Ford got nominated for both best movie / drama and adapted screenplay). He really deserves it, he is evil at its most subtle and delicious. Delicious to watch, I mean.

But I am especially happy about Amy Adams who is often used in the movies as just a pretty face or supporting woman. In 2016, she has had two strong roles, in a thinking man's sci-fi "Arrival", and now this. Her screen time may be limited but she surely makes the most of it, captivatingly playing out both worlds that the character has hiding inside her. I believed her both as a lively young woman and the jaded older one that's missing all the ideals that she had decided to throw away long time ago.

Based on a novel by Austin Wright which Ford wanted to adapt into two movies initially, one true to original, the other not so much. I am not sure which way he chose ultimately but what a ride, eh?

PS No, I am not giving 9 out of 10 to every movie I watch from now on. The last three have been just some of 2016's best of the best.
Davrosdaleks1May 6, 2017
Looks great and all the actors deliver. However, plot is lacking. Film suffers from trying to talk about the negative aspects of humanity, but is ultimately about rich white people problems. The story-within-a-story is a bit of a clichedLooks great and all the actors deliver. However, plot is lacking. Film suffers from trying to talk about the negative aspects of humanity, but is ultimately about rich white people problems. The story-within-a-story is a bit of a cliched raped-and-revenge story and I don't think the story does enough to justify its existence. Expand
TVJerryDec 9, 2016
You can certainly tell that writer/director Tom Ford is also a fashion mogul, cause this film is crammed with stylistic flair: beautiful people, lovely lighting, elegant locations and cool clothes. It's also a somewhat gripping suspenseYou can certainly tell that writer/director Tom Ford is also a fashion mogul, cause this film is crammed with stylistic flair: beautiful people, lovely lighting, elegant locations and cool clothes. It's also a somewhat gripping suspense drama. Amy Adams plays a fancy LA gallery owner who gets a copy of her ex-husband's (Jake Gyllenhaal) novel, which is a thinly disguised revenge narrative. The film alternates between her reading it, the story being reenacted and flashbacks to their past relationship. The concept is sometimes clever as it pieces the parts together, but sometimes it's merely dominated by the beauty of the design. Adams and Gyllenhaal are both fine, but the standout performance comes from Michael Shannon as the sheriff. Even though the movie is compelling and sensual, the drama doesn't always live up to the aesthetics. Expand
NedRyerson1Jan 21, 2017
Nocturnal Animals another amazing job of Amy Adams in 2016, a tricky police thriller, filled with suspense, which requires an active viewer who gathers pieces to solve the puzzle. The story is constructed with three fragments: the life ofNocturnal Animals another amazing job of Amy Adams in 2016, a tricky police thriller, filled with suspense, which requires an active viewer who gathers pieces to solve the puzzle. The story is constructed with three fragments: the life of Susan as she reads a manuscript from her ex-husband; the story that tells the book; and the events that surrounded the divorce. Each fragment has its own intrigue worthy of having an individual movie, but here they blend perfectly, jumping from one to other, enriching the next sequences. The protagonists are developed in a very realistic form, with respect but not gently at all, we reach the center of each one, you get to know what moves them, what hunts them, which are their profound desires. As the plot reveals the conflict you realize that not everything is white and black, while one character emerges the other collapses. The secondary roles are not forgotten; everyone has their own struggles, that are independent of the main conflict, but leads them to participate. All these thoughts and feelings are sublimated at the end, in a visceral scene marked by a lack of empathy that is breathtaking. Amy Adams is marvelous, one the best performance of her career, the way she moves, her expressions, skin tone and eyes from a person with the fatigue of living many lives. Jake Gyllenhaal, Aaron Tyler-Johnson and Michael Shannon are stunning too. The photography and music accompany the purpose of the film. Expand
mrmonsterDec 9, 2016
It's a pretty good film. Not as good as the trailers make it look, but still, worth watching. The trailers were a little deceptive. What looked like a thriller with Amy Adams being hunted by Jake Gylennhal more about a novel within the storyIt's a pretty good film. Not as good as the trailers make it look, but still, worth watching. The trailers were a little deceptive. What looked like a thriller with Amy Adams being hunted by Jake Gylennhal more about a novel within the story than anything else. I guess I would have enjoyed the movie more if the trailers had been more honest. On the other hand, great story, and great performances from the main cast. Expand
NikolayGMar 12, 2017
One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I don't get the people who say it's pretentious. I guess they just don't like art dealers. I also don't get the people who say it takes swipes at conservatives. That is hilarious consideringOne of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I don't get the people who say it's pretentious. I guess they just don't like art dealers. I also don't get the people who say it takes swipes at conservatives. That is hilarious considering the entire point of the movie, which was apparently completely lost on that reviewer, reflects a quite conservative point of view. One reviewer in a positive way compares this movie to Gone Girl. If you hated Gone Girl and thought it was garbage as I did, have no fear. The story of this movie is nothing at all like the ridiculous plot of Gone Girl. A woman is married to a handsome guy who cheats on her like there's no tomorrow, and she knows it. She receives a novel manuscript that has been accepted for publication from her ex-husband, whom she did not believe in as a writer at all and whom she left for the handsome guy she is now married to. As she reads his manuscript it is acted out on screen - and it's great - and by the very end when she goes to a restaurant to meet her ex, the whole thing comes together. If you like disturbing well-acted thrillers, if you liked Deliverance for example, you will like Nocturnal Animals. I don't want to say more and give it away except that the novel that's acted out involves violent crime in the southwest, creepy criminals right out of Truman Capote's, In Cold Blood, a desperate husband and a very crusty old detective -- and acting of the highest quality. Of the movies I have digitally rented over the years, I have actually then gone on to purchase maybe half a dozen total, of which this is one. Expand
WaelJan 24, 2017
Usually, people ask if the film did the book justice. In the case of 'Nocturnal Animals', we should ask that question the other way around. While the book was overly long for its content, contained so many useless details, and had a style asUsually, people ask if the film did the book justice. In the case of 'Nocturnal Animals', we should ask that question the other way around. While the book was overly long for its content, contained so many useless details, and had a style as basic as a style can get, the movie is the exact opposit, having the benefits of its incredible Tom Ford direction (it has Tom Ford vibes all over it) and the mesmerizing performances from Amy Adams (who was totally snubbed at the Oscars) and Jake Gyllenhaal. Thrilling and nail-biting, this film is a win! Expand
GinaKNov 25, 2016
A harrowing tale of revenge directed by Tom Ford and set in the two worlds he knows best – international art and design and Texas (where he was born). It’s no surprise that he would have a great “eye” as a designer for the look of the film,A harrowing tale of revenge directed by Tom Ford and set in the two worlds he knows best – international art and design and Texas (where he was born). It’s no surprise that he would have a great “eye” as a designer for the look of the film, but his deep feeling for his characters and their situation is. His first film (A Single Man) was more design than substance, but not this time. Jake Gyllenhaal has never been better (I think this may be the best performance of his career, partly because it is so believable, natural, and deeply felt) and Amy Adams does wonders at embodying both Texas and New York. And Laura Linney is astonishing. She is so entirely believable that afterwards you say “Was that really Laura Linney?. If you want to see a movie that will really shake you up and perhaps make you see the world just a little differently, go to this film. Expand
avr50Mar 19, 2017
Nocturnal animals is a savage and brutal thriller that stays with you long before you see it. Tom ford is one of the most brave directors working today
PerculaDec 28, 2016
Nocturnal Animals is an aesthetically intriguing, often uncomfortable and anyway multilayered experience with award-worthy acting (and an applaudable makeup-team). As a side note, it is interesting to see a movie about a reading character andNocturnal Animals is an aesthetically intriguing, often uncomfortable and anyway multilayered experience with award-worthy acting (and an applaudable makeup-team). As a side note, it is interesting to see a movie about a reading character and possible recontextualisations in life that follow. Expand
gusbrunsonDec 14, 2016
Very well directed and with sensibility not seen since Antonioni, Nocturnal Animals is a cross between an art house movie and a Noir Thriller. The film starts with some interesting provocation scenes that borrows from David Lynch surrealVery well directed and with sensibility not seen since Antonioni, Nocturnal Animals is a cross between an art house movie and a Noir Thriller. The film starts with some interesting provocation scenes that borrows from David Lynch surreal visuals.
Then, it jumps into the main narrative with a precision and technique of a master, a master who must be a fan of Hitchcock and Roman Polanski. The device of the story inside of the story catapults the movie to a different level and because its execution is so flawless one gets carried away also by the novel the main character is reading. Which only a good director would be able to do it.
Also is worth to mention, the extreme sensibility of Mr.Ford's eye, an eye that pays attention to details not only in costumes, lighting and acting but also as details in the dynamics of the main character's voice or details in the props.
The cinematography of Mr. Seamus McGarvey is very sober but precise and elegant.
And the music of Abel Korzeniowski wraps everything with an energy that is completely captivating.
Mr. Ford must be very pleased with the overall results, since it is extremely difficult to achieve a film such as Nocturnal Animals which has many layers of information and is both visually entertaining and have an acting that is acutely compelling.
chidimeFeb 10, 2017
A waste of 2 hours of my life. Time I will never get back sadly. If you're looking for artsy, pretentious 'films' with storylines and endings that are made purposely to make the makers feel smart, then you'll love this. Otherwise, if youA waste of 2 hours of my life. Time I will never get back sadly. If you're looking for artsy, pretentious 'films' with storylines and endings that are made purposely to make the makers feel smart, then you'll love this. Otherwise, if you value your time, stay away. Expand
AxeTNov 22, 2016
This is a prime example of a crossover artist who is unfit for the screen, trying to pass off a largely incoherent incomplete script/film that any disciplined writer, director, producer, studio exec would have had re-written several timesThis is a prime example of a crossover artist who is unfit for the screen, trying to pass off a largely incoherent incomplete script/film that any disciplined writer, director, producer, studio exec would have had re-written several times over. Self indulgent nonsense is an understatement. The idea is very interesting, but it was never properly developed for an audience which is what is required in this game called movies for public exhibition.
Actors such as the principals here who choose to be in something based on scenes they want to show their stuff off in rather than choosing scripts with the potential to be good movies do nobody a service, particularly the audience and investors. Besides the severe lacking in story and screenplay know-how on display here is the content on screen itself which is unimaginative to say the least and downright unappealing in any way, shape or form. It's a lousy scenario ruining the seed of a great idea for a thriller. (not a new idea as I myself had the same basic concept 18 years ago)
And any critic or person labeling this thing a thriller is a total jackass!
LamontRaymondNov 23, 2016
Not at all what I expected, especially after Ford's first feature film, but it's never boring, visually spectacular, and viscerally stimulating. Jake is excellent, as are Amy Adams and Michael Shannon. Since when is Armie Hammer just eyeNot at all what I expected, especially after Ford's first feature film, but it's never boring, visually spectacular, and viscerally stimulating. Jake is excellent, as are Amy Adams and Michael Shannon. Since when is Armie Hammer just eye candy in all these movies, by the way? My only serious criticism of this film is the cold open - totally unnecessary - can't spoil it, but it's almost as if Ford doesn't want this film to screen anywhere between the coasts. Expand
Brent_MarchantDec 16, 2016
A stylish though sometimes-pretentious, ultimately unsatisfying exercise in alleged profundity that attempts to use its supposed nuance and subtlety to cover its inherent underdevelopment. Despite strong performances by Amy Adams, JakeA stylish though sometimes-pretentious, ultimately unsatisfying exercise in alleged profundity that attempts to use its supposed nuance and subtlety to cover its inherent underdevelopment. Despite strong performances by Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, much of its remaining power-packed cast is wasted in what is little more than a collection of throwaway one-scene walk-ons. Its often-preposterous script frequently tries viewer patience (especially in the first hour), despite some half-hearted attempts at trying to redeem itself as the picture races toward an unfulfilling conclusion. Director Tom Ford may have scored big in his debut offering, "A Single Man," but he falls far short of the mark in his sophomore (or is it sophomoric?) effort, one that comes across more like a filmed version of the first draft of a promising screenplay rather than a fully fleshed out, finished product. Expand
dspratlinNov 19, 2016
What’s it about?

An art gallery owner is haunted by her ex-husband’s novel, a violent thriller she interprets as a veiled threat and a symbolic revenge tale. What did I think? My high expectations for Tom Ford’s second foray into feature
What’s it about?

What did I think?

My high expectations for Tom Ford’s second foray into feature films were not disappointed – this stunning thriller creates a world that is both brutal and visually beautiful, telling a story within a story that you won’t expect, and having you on the edge of your seat right to the last frame. An unsettling, violent and stylish film with emotional, powerhouse performances.
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals would have benefitted from even an ounce of subtlety, and with such an A-list cast it quite simply should have been better.
YeetusMcGeetusNov 6, 2018
This movie tries to be artsy, but has nothing to say. Watching this movie is a waste of time. There are so many better thrillers that deal with relationships between men and women that have so much more to say.
pedvieMar 3, 2017
Please don't bother wasting your time or money on this lousy movie. The only thing provocative or interesting is the title. And, spoiler alert, yet some more cheap shots against "conservatives". Seriously, it's stylish crap.
Sshaban1Feb 12, 2017
Total garbage. So pretentious. Trying so hard to be artistic and falls miserably. If you're in rubbish conceptual art and pretending you are a genius then this movie is for you. Glorifying depression
beavieNov 23, 2016
I expected a complicated and intriguing film. Unfortunately this is a dull strange thinly written tale of dual plotlines that don't connect very well. The lead characters don't have any emotional depth or real connections. I love Amy AdamsI expected a complicated and intriguing film. Unfortunately this is a dull strange thinly written tale of dual plotlines that don't connect very well. The lead characters don't have any emotional depth or real connections. I love Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal but here they are lost without real characters to play. Adams is much better in "Arrival". Expand
QuantumArtistJan 2, 2017
This movie is te best movie in 2016 for me personally and it definitely is under my all-time-top-10.
It is so incredibly intense and dark that I was totally in trance after the ending and I had to think about the movie for days.
Jake
Jake Gyllenhaal shows once again what an amazing actor he is, what makes every movie with him a must-watch.
aubonpainDec 10, 2016
Acting was superb on all fronts. What ruined the picture was Hollywood's constant need to throw in a bigoted line against conservatives and Republicans.....nd fake southern accents to boot. It is a thinker picture, but when will HW make aActing was superb on all fronts. What ruined the picture was Hollywood's constant need to throw in a bigoted line against conservatives and Republicans.....nd fake southern accents to boot. It is a thinker picture, but when will HW make a movie that isn't smug, superior, and condescending. Expand
EludiumQ36Jun 22, 2017
First, all the 8/9/10 reviews are studio shills, pure BS. This was a dark, demented, depressing study of a fkt up woman. Guys steer clear, and don't let your girl watch it unless she's a depressive goth type. There's a reason this film onlyFirst, all the 8/9/10 reviews are studio shills, pure BS. This was a dark, demented, depressing study of a fkt up woman. Guys steer clear, and don't let your girl watch it unless she's a depressive goth type. There's a reason this film only grossed $10M, it's awful regardless of Amy Adams' performance. Expand
JoeB777Jan 31, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sometimes a movie contains content that is so vile that it overwhelms whatever else may be positive about it. This, unfortunately, is such a movie. There is the depiction (either implied or shown) of violent rape and murder of a younger woman and daughter. I am no prude, but I simply wanted to kill the three young criminals depicted in the film. I would be ashamed to be associated -- in any way -- with the making of this movie. Were it a book, I would burn it to ash and send it to the author. Expand
wantedtolikebutApr 22, 2017
"Nocturnal Animals" is one of the worst films of the year. After a beautiful opening title sequence this thriller quickly becomes a horrible film. There isn't an authentic second in this mess. The plot is implausible. Much of their police"Nocturnal Animals" is one of the worst films of the year. After a beautiful opening title sequence this thriller quickly becomes a horrible film. There isn't an authentic second in this mess. The plot is implausible. Much of their police procedural research is incorrect. The characters are pretentious and unsympathetic. Tom Ford is not an insightful director. He paints these dull characters with a broad, uninspired brush. His screenplay is shallow, clueless, misanthropic, virtue signaling nonsense written in a bubble. The entire two hours rings false. "Nocturnal Animals" is not gripping in any way. It is wildly boring. I feel sorry for the cast who are made to look foolish. This film is a folly that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. So bad you'll want your money back. Or at least your two hours. Go watch Terrence Malick's "Badlands" instead. That film has a heart. This one does not. Expand
DirigiblePulpJan 5, 2017
An interesting and beautifully framed film that works very well from scene to scene. But it's overall impact left me cold and wanting. It's exploration of a superficial group of people may have wound up too much so.
GreatMartinNov 18, 2016
"Nocturnal Animals" is 3 films in one starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal. The first is who and what Susan (Adams) is today while the second is the mystery novel that Edward (Gyllenhaal) has written and dedicated to his ex wife Susan while"Nocturnal Animals" is 3 films in one starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal. The first is who and what Susan (Adams) is today while the second is the mystery novel that Edward (Gyllenhaal) has written and dedicated to his ex wife Susan while the third is Susan and Edward over 19 years ago when they met and got married.

Along the way the have and have nots are explored with Los Angeles being the world of the elite with all glass homes, art galleries, rich good looking men and beautiful women while the rednecks have unending horizons in the flat areas of Texas, men who rape, rob and kill while in both societies people of color are rarely seen.

"Nocturnal Animals" is the second film directed and written by Tom Ford, the first being the acclaimed "A Single Man". The 3 stories are not told in lineral fashion and instead skip back of forth between yesterday, the novel in movie form and today, each time easily followed. We watch Susan read the novel, seeing herself in the the main character Laura and the girl who became the woman she is today.

There is violence led by a trio of nasty men, following the frightening Aaron Taylor-Johnson who has no problem moving his bowels on his front porch. There is ugliness starting with the opening credits showing the installation of a gallery exhibit that almost turned me off the film. There is a scene with an aging socialite trying to look like Elizabeth Taylor (Andrea Riseborough) and her gay husband Carlos, played by Michael Sheen. Along the way are the pretty people of Tom Ford's world including Armie Hammer as Susan's husband and a striking cameo by Laura Linney as her mother. On the opposite side are country people who have a lived in face such as detective Bobby played by Michael Shannon. In Edward's novel Isla Fisher plays Susan, called Laura in the book, and Ellie Bamber as the daughter.

All the acting is impeccable almost certainly bringing Amy Adams another Oscar nomination though the actress field is pretty crowded this year and maybe, just maybe, bring Jake Gyllenhaal the Oscar he ceratinly deserves for this movie and his total body of work.

Tom Ford obviously takes his movie making seriously, has a couple of breath taking scenes when recreating Edward's novel but just falls short of his wanting to make film as art.

"Nocturnal Animals" is an interesting film but doesn't quite make the must see list except for the acting.
SpangleDec 11, 2016
Nocturnal Animals is the second film by director Tom Ford and, likewise, it is the second film I have seen from him. The famed fashion designer known for his visual style fleshes this out in Nocturnal Animals, starring Amy Adams and JakeNocturnal Animals is the second film by director Tom Ford and, likewise, it is the second film I have seen from him. The famed fashion designer known for his visual style fleshes this out in Nocturnal Animals, starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal. Telling the story of a woman who reads the novel of her ex-husband and slowly realizes it has a basis in reality, Nocturnal Animals is a tense, thrilling, and visually arresting film, but it does get a bit too caught up in its style to be anything truly spectacular. As it stands though, it is still a very good sophomore effort from Ford in the director’s chair.

As with A Single Man, Nocturnal Animals’ greatest asset is its visuals. The stunning cinematography is not the only area of this, but it is where I will start. The best shot, to me, was of Edward Sheffield (Gyllenhaal) running from the desert to the road and through a barbed wire. Focused on the desert, Gyllenhaal enters the frame at a distance from the right and the camera never moves. No close-up, nothing. Rather, he still in the far third of the screen. The end result is a beautifully staged shot that, for whatever reason, really worked for me. Similarly, gratuitous shots of the desert are a personal favorite of mine and apparently Ford too, given how often he used them. Similarly, shots of cars driving at night or simply the Texas landscape prove to be gorgeous shots. However, as is expected, Ford has a eye for style. From terrific costumes for Amy Adams, great make-up/hairstyling, and great production design with a stunning level of detail, Ford creates a truly beautiful world that makes you want to cloak yourself in its aesthetic appeal.

In terms of its plot, Nocturnal Animals occurs in both the non-fictional and fictional with the latter being in Susan's mind as she reads Edward's novel. As she reads, Ford often cuts between her reading and Edward and Sheriff Andes's (Michael Shannon) reenactment of the story. As it progresses, however, Ford often cuts between Susan and fictional Edward doing the exact same thing. Showering. Rising out of a bath. Showering again. Laying in bed in opposite directions. Here, Ford tries to create a connection between the fictional and non-fictional, but undeniably becomes far too focused on creating artistic appeal than anything else. The cuts are pretty, but feel far too indulgent to really land with much power. Fortunately, the plot does save this element with powerful stories that parallel one another. It is clear that Ford is evidently pro-life in this film given his portrayal of abortion in both worlds. Yet, it is incredibly interesting to watch this parallel come together in the plot and even in the title (a nickname given to Susan by real Edward). This is really where much of the intrigue of Nocturnal Animals comes in as, otherwise, it would just be a pretty typical revenge thriller. Here, it adds another layer and, as such, becomes a truly compelling work worthy of further study.

Performance-wise, I would be lying if I said Michael Shannon did not steal the show. As a hard-nosed cop who violently throws up often due to his lung cancer, Shannon does not put on a Texas accent to disappear into his role. Rather, he carries himself with the attitude and swagger of a Texas sheriff and, simply by seeing him walk into frame, you know he means business. Gyllenhaal is also terrific here as the grief stricken Tony Hastings in the fictional world. Powerful and intense, Gyllenhaal brings to the forefront Tony's personal issues with his/Edward's own masculinity and being called "weak". Often moved to anguish, Gyllenhaal - though upstaged by Shannon - continues his hot streak of terrific roles and performances. Compared to the men, Adams is far more low-key. Her role is far more subdued and subtle. She plays the role terrifically well, however, capturing the emotionless nature of her character, never showcasing the slightest hint of being broken or phased by those around her.

The best piece of Nocturnal Animals is its visuals. Haunting, arresting, and simply gorgeous to view, they are certainly bolstered by a good score that rises at the perfect moments and great acting. Yet, Ford's willingness to indulge in his artistic endeavors far too often do hold the film back a bit, notably during the cross-cutting between Adams and Gyllenhaal and the opening sequence. In this way, Nocturnal Animals is certainly beautifully imperfect.
gameplayer85Dec 25, 2016
Was expecting to kill some time. Was not expecting to watch an amazing film! Film was amazing and beautiful. Great story, great writing, great actimg. Well worth a watch. It reminds me of a modern day gone with the wind.
foxgroveNov 18, 2016
Fashion designer Tom Ford's new film is a fascinating and intricately complex film that compels from beginning to end. The somewhat shocking and bewildering opening makes way for a thrilling thriller of a screenplay that is rich in detail,Fashion designer Tom Ford's new film is a fascinating and intricately complex film that compels from beginning to end. The somewhat shocking and bewildering opening makes way for a thrilling thriller of a screenplay that is rich in detail, hitting more than a few nails on the head with regards to the human condition. Performances of all cast members are good but generally un-showy with the possible exceptions being Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor Johnson. To give away any of the story would be to spoil the tantalising grip the film has whilst unfolding. Suffice it to say that the denouement thoroughly delivers on its tantalising promises. Indeed, the ending is great for those who like to think about what they have seen. Reflection enables one to satisfactorily pull together all the strands of this intelligent and rewarding adult drama whilst still leaving room for debate. As expected the film looks great with special mentions for the brilliant editing and beautifully atmospheric music. Expand
BrianMcCriticDec 9, 2016
A film that works because of its performances. Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal are great as usual, but for me the stand outs are Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor Johnson. Both take over the screen when their on it. Armie Hammer continuesA film that works because of its performances. Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal are great as usual, but for me the stand outs are Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor Johnson. Both take over the screen when their on it. Armie Hammer continues with his lifeless performances, though he's not in it enough to ruin it. All the stories become intertwined but all the stories aren't equal, with the most compelling being the novel. In the end I appreciated this film for its deep thought even if it doesn't quite hit the bullseye. A- Expand
RalfbergsMar 13, 2017
I know that this was considered one of the best movies that came out in 2016, but for me, I really found it more and more boring while watching - I would have prefered it as a thriller with more revenge based things in the plot, but here itI know that this was considered one of the best movies that came out in 2016, but for me, I really found it more and more boring while watching - I would have prefered it as a thriller with more revenge based things in the plot, but here it feels like the whole story in the book is some allusion, which, even though is artistic and all that, just is plain boring and makes you more and more disinterest in movie when you watch it. Expand
Jess_HillNov 20, 2016
A masterclass in breathtaking cinema, with a sublime score, exquisite visual design, subtle performances, and a gripping storyline, this is a film which is a delight to watch. Adams and Gyllenhaal are exceptional, and the precise editingA masterclass in breathtaking cinema, with a sublime score, exquisite visual design, subtle performances, and a gripping storyline, this is a film which is a delight to watch. Adams and Gyllenhaal are exceptional, and the precise editing enhances the intricate development and treatment of the relationship between them that is central to the plot. The dialogue between artist and subject, interpretation and criticism is artfully explored in a tense, confronting narrative that will stay with you well after you leave the theatre. 9.68/10 Expand
PipeCDec 23, 2016
Ford's Acute Thriller Concerns You, Affects You and Transmutes You

Who do need Liam Neeson's and Uma Thurman's vindications when we own the "Nocturnal Animals" of Tom Ford? Former Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent Creative Director, nowadays,
Ford's Acute Thriller Concerns You, Affects You and Transmutes You

Former Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent Creative Director, nowadays, this Texan man is a glorified fashion designer and promptly also of arts audiovisual. His magnum opus ("A Single Man") in film world was reminiscent of emotional privacy that may be movies, a stoic and ineffable progression self-absorbed in the visual and subjective. Although it was highly exalted between the critic circle, no one predicted that the second disquisition of neophyte director would be an instant masterpiece. The vogue of his rarefied career resides in fussy concern about detail and aesthetic accuracy by high levels of tastefulness and originality. As dedicated supporter of doctrinal pragmatism, his eminent diplomacy in stroke and gesture is transferred with the same refinement and subtlety to his second project, in which not only continues exhuming his critical eye on the organic, also demonstrates his sole literary faculties with an almighty and poetic screenplay of bitterness, treachery, evocations, hoaxes and superficialities. The seven years out weren't due to a bad primary experience or a cinematic absenteeism, but to that inherent thoroughness that taking him too far.

"Nocturnal Animals", discretionally based on the novel "Tony & Susan" by Austin Wright, presents a narrative structuring in three underlying and sharp rhetorical levels, where the important isn't its specific nature, but interpolation between them through homologous syntactic and artistic components. The first platform and central axis of the celluloid is the paramount film basis, which shuts us away into Susan Morrow's life, a dejected gallery owner belonging to American high society of New York, a forlorn and troubled wealthy woman experiencing a marital crisis and a crestfallen course of life. Among the off- white walls and architectural stairs in the gallery, the director works with acidity his stylistic facet, heterogeneous allegories in anti- heroine's attire and accessories set the ostensible sublimation, very symmetrical and methodical. A sinister but impregnable, obscure but neat, fateful but fascinating scenery; epicurean constructions with extreme creative exquisiteness in where the leading role drag her feet in onerous heels, blackening with ill-fated and deaf footprints of unhappiness, sorrow and need for change. Subliminally, the director lays the foundation with dry and plaster tones, where emphasize the dominating black, effigy of secrecy in characters. Scenic beauty, the magnificence of the costumes, architectural refinement, and passionate exaltation are possible thanks to a stolid Amy Adams, a great role confront subsequently with other reputed acting queens.

Edward, her ex-husband, makes contact after 19 years by means of a written document, where is located the manuscript of a book dedicated to her name because she was the promoter for unearthing the hidden mastery. Nonplussed, she assimilates the attached note where he exhorts her to read it. Since then, the intoxicating course prelude, without realizing the violent transfiguration is about to start. Thereon, the uncertainty is going to take a diametrical turn since not just we sink ourselves in an entirely divergent fiction from omniscient and frontispiece point of view, but we immerse into a partial perspective, where Adams' character moves to the involuntary narrator of the second story, which captures the absolute protagonist. A fictional story into another one. It is here where we certify Tom Ford's lavish direction, where the syntactic and aesthetic register is strictly transmuted.

Finally, we find preterite level formed by the flashbacks. These external analepses focused their designs on relating us with retrospective conjunctions having an impact on the writing of certain paragraph, one pick to understand the sub-text. After the manuscript has been finished, we contemplate the far-reaching consequences of the stories in its characters, which have symbolically similar conclusions. She is there, totally converted by the light revival of returning to rebuild her past, with an ointment drastically scathing, expectant, noticing until the last second that the protagonist of the book was her authentic silhouette, which provoked all this with an innocuous word, 'weak'. An intricate film ostensibly neo-noir, in where the cardinal thing isn't to unify a level and the other one, it's understanding the semantic as a whole. Nothing will be easy or unmotivated in this intense trip of revenge, in where each interspersed scene has crucial effects in the protagonists. A critical anagnorisis which must be framed, lauded and deified. Tom Ford has established himself as a postmodern film hero because he corroborates that you and I are lethal nocturnal animals.
Rebecca31Dec 10, 2016
Tom Ford directs this artistic and intense story that slowly reels you in and drags you down this dark, devastating path. Horrific and shocking yet you can't look away with an excellent story intertwined with an even better story. Amy Adams,Tom Ford directs this artistic and intense story that slowly reels you in and drags you down this dark, devastating path. Horrific and shocking yet you can't look away with an excellent story intertwined with an even better story. Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Michael Shannon are just wonderful. A definite recommendation and a word of advice, if you can manage to time this movie so you purposely miss the opening credits you can thank me later. Expand
DoughBoiiDec 13, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nocturnal Animals is a film that is going to draw many different emotions out of the viewer. Ranging from disgust, anger, sadness, and anxiety.
I was not a fan of the beginning, felt it was unnecessary, well... That and I hadn't eaten much and it stirred up some queasy feelings up. Aside from that the movie is amazing, constantly on the edge of my seat, mixed emotions at every turn. Great Cinematography and Great actors. The whole story being an analogy of the pains Edward (Jake Gyllenhaal) went through after the divorce and abortion of his daughter. Susan (Amy Adams) representing both his wife in the book and in a way the criminals. Great movie that will leave you memorized for hours and even days. A must watch.
alejandro970Dec 14, 2019
¿How much could disturb someone the reading of a book? Ask to the art gallery owner, performed by Amy Adams. The two layers of the plot have the magnetism for keeping the attention of the viewer until the final credits. The vengeance story is¿How much could disturb someone the reading of a book? Ask to the art gallery owner, performed by Amy Adams. The two layers of the plot have the magnetism for keeping the attention of the viewer until the final credits. The vengeance story is haunting so smashing. Expand
daviddelnorte23Mar 10, 2017
'Animales nocturnos' es un filme que muchas voces la han colocado como una de las mejores del año. Y es por eso, que me lanzé a verla y, la verdad, si que es de lo mejor del año.

Es una historia que se desarrolla en tres vertientes: pasado,

Es una historia que se desarrolla en tres vertientes: pasado, presente y ficción. Es algo curioso el como cuenta la historia. Pero aquí, lo importante no es la historia en sí, si no lo que siente el protagonista principal: Amy Adams (si, es el año de Amy) y también de manera indirecta el personaje de Jake Gyllenhaal. La película nos habla de la soledad e infelicidad de alguien que tiene todo, la culpa, el arrepentimiento.

El guión convence mucho, la fotografía cumple su función que es crear la atmósfera que quiere su director, un gran Tom Ford. El desarrollo de personajes muy maduro...

En mi opinión, es un peliculón me ha gustado mucho como a nivel de historia como de lo que nos quiere contar. Me ha gustado menos que La Llegada, pero más que la mayoría de películas que he visto de este año. Notable alto.
TheBossxxxDec 15, 2016
Great movie and an even better ending. Haunting, artsy and very clever. I usually like this psychological plots and this one was a total killer. The story was enganging with lots of creativity and the acting was superb but Shannon...my god,Great movie and an even better ending. Haunting, artsy and very clever. I usually like this psychological plots and this one was a total killer. The story was enganging with lots of creativity and the acting was superb but Shannon...my god, what an actor! He stole every single scene. I must see it again because certainly i'm missing some details that i didn't saw. Expand
SomePersonaFeb 9, 2017
So dark and melancholy. Aaron-Taylor Johnson is the best actor in the film; he really pulls off the creepy, unforgivable villain here. Other excellent performances come from Jake Gyllenhaal for his character's desperation, Michael Shannon forSo dark and melancholy. Aaron-Taylor Johnson is the best actor in the film; he really pulls off the creepy, unforgivable villain here. Other excellent performances come from Jake Gyllenhaal for his character's desperation, Michael Shannon for his character's regret, and Amy Adams for her character's cynicism. An excellent screenplay and even more excellent direction from the inexperienced second-time director Tom Ford. Expand
ViniciusBritoJun 15, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie did one special thing, in a way that i have never seen before, not in the way that it is in this one. One of the main characters, Edward(Jake Gyllenhaal), likes to write and he wrote one novel to his ex-wife Susan(Amy Adams). The novel is a completely metaphor to what happend during his relationship with her, and this isn't never explicit during the movie, it never really tell us what it is and let us to interpret and find everything out by ourselves, wich is a thing to be glorified, there aren't to many movies these days that really let us investigate and discover the story that is being told in our way and in our time, making we imagine and use the creativity. It does start introducing Susan character, and showing that she works with some kind of art, and apparently very attached to money and some sense of power, current husband is Walker Morrow(Armie Hammer), wich is some big business and powefull guy that needs to travel from city to city and doesn't care or like much of Susan, actually it seems that he doesn't really give a damn to her, also cheats on her, wich is completely different to what Edward used to be, Edward was a very nice guy that cared a lot about people, about the family and always tried his best to make things right, always believing in people. Susan's mother is not of the best persons, wich says that sensitive are weak people and is wants some rich things, she wants lust at it's best and think that her daughter will be just like she, she wasn't wrong.
The acting is another great aspect here, Amy Adams could pass the idea of a hollow with her current husband, she passed the idea of unhapiness and lost, even repentance, her character pass a lot of time, thinking and reading. Jake Gyllenhaal did the best job in here, he was insanely perfect, the sadness, feeling of loss and despair, and even that revenge doesn't seem to pay off, he could pass emotions to us in a level that is not easy, the horror and how human and real he was, are one of the reasons that i couldn't even blink during some scenes, his acting skills were phenomenal. Michael Shannon is also great, he steals the show in some moments, every scene that he is in, interrogating someone or just explaining, he did a great job, was intense without even screaming. Aaron Johnson could make me get up of my seat of rage, his character was a truly psycho and he was perfect, got me really nervous in some moments. Isla Fisher is in the movie as the main character wife in the novel created by Edward, she looks a lot like Amy Adams, coincidence ? I think not. Laura Linney have a few minutes of screen, but she also did a great job.
The movie does have a message that money and lust isn't everything and you can't take this way in your life. Having everything will not let anyone happy. Friendship, love last longer than lust, it last forever. All of this, it does have a time for you to figure out, because depending in when you do, it will, possibly, be to late, and if it is to late, tehre is no redemption at all, you will just be waiting for that to comeback or arrive to you, but it will never come. Loneliness and distance is what will define things after that.
The cinematography from this movie is also great, it does help to tell the story and get some peculiar things in a fantastic way. In the moment that i realize that the novel written by Edward was a reflection from what happend to him and Susan, the next scene was Susan face being reflected at the window, that is just formidable. When Susan is reading the book the goes and comings when she is doing are much well done, the montage did a nice job. Crossphades and racós, it is a teaching of cinematography, everything helping the plot. Even the makeup tell a little of story.
This a heavy movie, with a lot of violence, that will shock you, the atmosphere that Tom Ford putted here was great. The movie have a lot of impact. The story is just great, the 3 timelines, the metaphor about who character is who and with you finding out stuff are all genius. The ending is insanely good, Susan waiting there with Edward having his revenge, just like the paint preview it. A niilist and a great movie, it is really that good.
RobertAchilleNov 1, 2017
You expect this movie to go somewhere but it never does. I watched this because of the reviews, I have not read the book nor am I likely to do so after watching this. I watched to the end expecting it to be entertaining at some point.. Disappointed
drone41Feb 9, 2018
I like Jake Gyllenhaal, and this is another great performance by him, but i don't like so much this movie. It's very strange and crazy.
LynApr 16, 2017
Many scenes in this stylish film leave you asking "why?" -- but not necessarily in a good way. Why does it end as it does? Why did Amy Adams' ex-husband send her a manuscript of his disturbing novel? Why was Tom Ford compelled to open with anMany scenes in this stylish film leave you asking "why?" -- but not necessarily in a good way. Why does it end as it does? Why did Amy Adams' ex-husband send her a manuscript of his disturbing novel? Why was Tom Ford compelled to open with an awful, extended scene of morbidly obese women dancing nude? For a while, the story-within-a-story approach is interesting: It's also fiction-within-nonfiction, and you wonder how the ex-husband's novel links to the couple's past (and future?) relationship. But that's just one way the storytelling breaks down: There seems to have been much less attention paid to vital plot connections than to Amy Adams' hair and makeup. Keeping this in the "yellow" section just for Michael Shannon's performance, intensely terrific as always. Expand
nutterjrDec 22, 2017
Ford designs and stitches together a story that poetically fuses the past into the present and the fiction into reality.
thomaslambMar 25, 2017
I liked it a lot. It`s very well cast and acted and actually quite riveting. I especially liked the feeling it leaves you with when the titles roll... (I`m only posting this to get the score up to where it deserves.)
TyranianApr 12, 2019
Pretty darn good thriller with good performances and a haunting story. Strong visuals also.
keanexFeb 17, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nocturnal Animals is a **** thrill that gave me anger, anxiety, and fear throughout. This is in-part due to the phenomenal acting, and in-part to the excellent storytelling. The movie is essentially split into 3 timelines, present, past, and book. The book timeline is primarily where the overarching story is presented, but it's done so in such a cold and chilling way. I don't even know where to begin exactly, this movie blew my mind in so many ways. The long-story short of it is that this is perhaps the best revenge movie that I have ever seen, one that is **** COLD. Expand
jgzegerMar 12, 2017
An well-acted, well-directed film with a compelling plot. It really has to be viewed twice to be fully appreciated but, even then, does not become a must see. Still, it is worth your time.
ReubenIsAGodFeb 1, 2018
The film is beautiful substance.

The film is beautiful substance.

The acting is gripping, heartfelt and overall emotional. Possibly Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal at some of their finest. Great performances all round. The cinematography is oozing of maturity, clarity and style. The Narrative is dark, while metaphorically rich and poignant. Overall, objectively, it's a quality film. I just personally think that it felt a little flat for me, due to not particularly sympathising with any of the characters or really truly being able to understand them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Also the film is quite emotionally draining. It mad me personally feel awful. It's just alright, in my opinion.

I'm curious to see what else Tom Ford has to offer for us! If he decides to create another film!
LeZeeFeb 26, 2017
RE VEN GE

RE VEN GE

This was simply awesome. I meant the story, but the presentation was not my kind. I got the story and I enjoyed it. The performances can't be neglected either. Both the lead, Jake and Amy were the film's highlight. But I also happy for Michale Shannon's Oscars nominee. Based on the novel 'Tony and Susan', but for the film adaptation, the title got inspired by the book that appear in the story. From the director of 'A Single Man' which is his comeback film after a long gap. I would say a good attempt.

This is the story of a successful art gallery boss who got divorced and remarried to the man whom she was cheating with from her ex. Her decision was in particular influenced by her mother. Now she thinks she's happy, but one day her ex sends a copy of his latest novel that's dedicated in her name. Reading it, she realises the tough time he'd with their separation. Following the end of the book, she encounters an unexpected truth which could affect her life forever.

A dual layer story. One was fiction and the other one in the real world. But the fictional tale highly influences the main narration and that's what I call the genuine writing. So the credit must go to none other than the original author. I have seen lots of revenge films, even it can be compared to 'Three Colours: White', but the major difference is the sweet revenge. For that alone the film was awesome. The climax was even better. If you understand the narration, you will enjoy it for sure. The filmmaking should have been a bit better. Excluding that the film is not to be skipped.

sanyrubMay 21, 2017
Engaging, beautiful, intriguing, fresh, surprising. One of the best cinematographies of 2016 the film just looks gorgeous. The cast is one of the most perfect ensembles from the last couple of years too. With Amy Adams nailing every singleEngaging, beautiful, intriguing, fresh, surprising. One of the best cinematographies of 2016 the film just looks gorgeous. The cast is one of the most perfect ensembles from the last couple of years too. With Amy Adams nailing every single facial detail and a shockingly on point Jake Gyllenhaal. Might be Jake´s better acting showing ever. Remarkable Michael Shannon too. I was captivated from almost the start of the film since it gives you that type of script that makes you doubt many times. One of those films that stays with you long after watching it. Must-see! Expand
DanilMay 29, 2019
It is more style over substance. Very atmospheric and stylish. The actual story is shambolic and a bit unconventional and you wonder where they were going with it most of the movie.
JJJSep 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is beautifully shot. Amy Adams looks stunning and the acting is all well done. Michael Shannon is exquisite. The story is layered with an intertwining plot, which makes it interesting, while watching it. But the ending leaves you empty and then you realize that the movie is just visuals with a thin storyline. Especially once you realize what's going on. There isn't much there that sticks with you. It's not really a procedural or much of a mystery.
*Spoiler
The violence, which is projected on the women in the most brutal way, is merely a vehicle with which to showcase the man's pain. Though the violence is symbolic, we still have to watch a frightening lead up to it, with artfully placed dead, nude female bodies and his own brief visualization of a rape. It is supposed to symbolize his own inaction or 'weakness' but I'm not sure what one man can do to protect his wife and daughter with no gun, a flat tire and no cell service against three violent predators in the middle of nowhere. In the end, we are left to determine for ourselves that Edward wrote the book to process his trauma. Sent it to Susan and set up the fake dinner meeting to exact revenge that she chose a conventional life rather than sticking it out with a starving, flailing writer. He may indeed be weak in his need to indulge in this silliness. We know nothing about him otherwise. He isn't really much of a character.
Lastly, the mother character, played by Laura Linney, is a total caricature, (who the heck has that big coiffed hair anymore?)
raporgiJan 21, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Complete waste of time. Unhappy housewife realizes she's bored with her life and reminiscences about he former husband. Husband sends novel. Flashbacks. Novel is a boring asf revenge that has no excitement or tension whatsoever. Ending is lame and predictable. Watch porn or something else. Expand
bfoore90May 13, 2019
An unsettling film about revenge with superb acting, especially from Michael Shannon.
frankrog29Apr 6, 2017
Nocturnal Animals is the best movie of 2016 that I have seen so far. The unfolding of the plot allows for maximum tension and suspense. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Shannon, and Jake Gyllenhaal are tremendous. Tom Ford did an excellent jobNocturnal Animals is the best movie of 2016 that I have seen so far. The unfolding of the plot allows for maximum tension and suspense. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Shannon, and Jake Gyllenhaal are tremendous. Tom Ford did an excellent job writing the adapted screenplay; this movie proves that he is without a doubt a director to watch. I will give one caveat: this movie is a disturbing, unsettling work of art and not for the squeamish. AMPAS basically snubbed Nocturnal Animals and Elle, which makes me think that they shy away from movies that are bombastic or overtly sexual. AMPAS likes sentimental, melodramatic movies that beat you over the head with a moral message. However, moral dilemmas are rarely so easily resolved in real life. Kudos to the Golden Globes, which gave acting awards to Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Isabelle Huppert and the Best Foreign Language Film award to Elle. Expand
MattBrady99Feb 11, 2017
"Nocturnal Animals" is that rare movie that leaves you feeling all kind of different emotions and thoughts. Disturbing is one and the other is riveting. Beautifully shot, but grimy and dusty to look at. And it's easily one of my favorite"Nocturnal Animals" is that rare movie that leaves you feeling all kind of different emotions and thoughts. Disturbing is one and the other is riveting. Beautifully shot, but grimy and dusty to look at. And it's easily one of my favorite movies of 2016.

The performances from everyone was terrific and I do mean all the cast. Amy Adams is an excellent actress and here she once again proves that. I love the little details to her character that gives it more depth and with the long break of silence that boils up her emotions. Adams dose it again and she will continue blowing my socks off.

Michael Shannon and Jake Gyllenhall are one of the best working actors of this generation. And in this movie, both of them deliver such a raw and grounded performance that every actor would dream of playing.

But the real stand out for me has to go to an actor that I've be heavily criticizing for years now. Because if you asked me about a year ago of what I think of this actor, I would say he's one of the worst actors ever. Very one note and bland. He was the worst part of "Kick-Ass", "Albert Nobbs", "Kick-Ass 2", "Godzilla", and "Avengers 2". But after seeing him "Nocturnal Animals", I take back everything I said about Aaron Taylor-Johnson. He was incredible in this movie and the performance itself stuck with me for days. I mean, Gyllenhaal, Shannon, and Adams are great as always, but I was honestly more impress with Taylor-Johnson more, as he was unrecognizable in the role.

By the way, this is Tom Ford's second movie and that alone is just mind-boggling. Ford brilliantly puts you in the nightmarish situations of the characters and makes it look effortless. I had a David Lynch and Hitchcock vibe from this. The style, suspense, and the substance feels very similar from those directors, but it's use here to craft paralleling storylines of both fiction and non-fiction.
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
Wow what a film! Tom Ford directs his masterpiece and one of the best if not the best mystery/thriller of the year. All the performances by Jake Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Aaron-Taylor Johnson give it there all. The movie's plotWow what a film! Tom Ford directs his masterpiece and one of the best if not the best mystery/thriller of the year. All the performances by Jake Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Aaron-Taylor Johnson give it there all. The movie's plot was extremely suspenseful and on the edge of your seat thrilling. This is a must watch for any fans of movies in general. Expand
aliceinwonderlaNov 24, 2021
It's good but Amy Adams character was underused and the ending was too open.
timoneDec 1, 2021
You know what really impressed me? I think this is something that kept my interest throughout the entire experience of Nocturnal Animals. Yeah, out of the things I've witnessed much like I did recently. It kept me on the edge of the seat allYou know what really impressed me? I think this is something that kept my interest throughout the entire experience of Nocturnal Animals. Yeah, out of the things I've witnessed much like I did recently. It kept me on the edge of the seat all the way through. The story is well written and I love the direction what it'll take place. It follows around a divorced art gallery owner, Susan Morrow played by Amy Adams as she is reading the new novel called what else, Nocturnal Animals by his ex-husband played by Jake Gyllenhaal. The opening sequence may put viewers and myself off the film making them turn it off but it'll grow on you once you get over it. The acting is really impressive and I can guarantee it'll get you intrigued. I think most people who are out there who don't really understand this film. It's well-written, it's well-acted and it's well directed. I enjoyed the narrative what it goes through. Nothing can go wrong with it, it's almost impeccable. I really enjoyed Nocturnal Animals from beginning to end. It's a chiller. What more could you want from it? It's well crafted and chilling as hell, there's no doubting that. Expand
AproxxAug 20, 2018
This isnt more than a love story of a privileged woman. It has mommy issues. It has class issues. It has relationship issues. All with a woman and the way a woman deal or its affected by those.

Its beautiful. The movie is just beautiful. It

Its beautiful. The movie is just beautiful. It works. I don't know if resolves these pyshological problems as much as it presents them as if: "Look. Rich people have problems too". Which is fine, but Im a little more basic than that, and for this movie to feel more than good, I wouldve loved to have something more than reflection and contemplation.
ourtimehascomeAug 28, 2017
Nocturnal Animals is an excellent film adaptation. In fact, it might be just as good as the book, which is very rare. The acting is absolutely superb, with amazing performances by Gyllenhaal, Shannon and Taylor-Johnson. The culmination ofNocturnal Animals is an excellent film adaptation. In fact, it might be just as good as the book, which is very rare. The acting is absolutely superb, with amazing performances by Gyllenhaal, Shannon and Taylor-Johnson. The culmination of their performances truly sells the fictional world of the story. I think the original author would have been pleased with Todd's adaptation. Expand
khankiraFeb 17, 2017
Teması ve dokusuyla beni hapseden bir yapım oldu. Elbette macera, komedi, suç izlemek isteriz. Ama arada böyle karanlık, derin filmler de görsek fena olmaz. Oyunculuk, yönetmenlik, senaryo muazzam. Karamsar ruh halinde izlemeyin, daha daTeması ve dokusuyla beni hapseden bir yapım oldu. Elbette macera, komedi, suç izlemek isteriz. Ama arada böyle karanlık, derin filmler de görsek fena olmaz. Oyunculuk, yönetmenlik, senaryo muazzam. Karamsar ruh halinde izlemeyin, daha da çökersiniz. Expand
whitmorgan7Mar 10, 2017
Gone Girl was one of my favorite movies of 2014. You might be asking me why. Although, if you’ve seen it I don’t know why you would be wondering such a thing. I love the way it was filmed. I loved the story. I loved how it made you wonder andGone Girl was one of my favorite movies of 2014. You might be asking me why. Although, if you’ve seen it I don’t know why you would be wondering such a thing. I love the way it was filmed. I loved the story. I loved how it made you wonder and feel unsettled. I loved the quietness of it all. The simplicity intertwined with the complexity of the story.

So, why am I starting out a review of Nocturnal Animals talking about Gone Girl? There are a few reasons, and none of them involve the story being the same. It’s all in the way the movie was filmed. There’s something beautiful about a film that has such an extravagant, mesmerizing story but is filmed with such simplicity that you get tangled up in it almost without realizing. Tom Ford made a beautiful film with Nocturnal Animals, and if you’re not paying attention you might miss how great it is.

Any Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal take the lead roles alongside Armie Hammer and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Isla Fisher is there in a ‘blink and you might miss it’ kind of role. Amy stars as Susan Morrow, a divorced art gallery owner who receives a manuscript of a novel written by her ex-husband Edward Sheffield, Gyllenhaal. She is now married to Hutton Marrow, Hammer. While reading the novel, Susan notices that what her ex-husband is writing may not be a fictional story he’s made up in his head, but rather a revenge tale with parallels to real life.

The film goes back and forth between the resent, which focuses mainly on Susan reading the novel and some aspects of what her life is now, to the past when Susan and Edward were married and how their marriage fell apart and how she met Hutton, to the novel playing out in Susan’s imagination as she reads. You start to realize through the flashbacks and in the novel some things from real life events have similarities to events Edward has written about. Susan worries this novel isn’t only a fictional story, but maybe a warning sign from her ex-husband, or a revenge tale he has made up in his head.

I can’t write any more on this film, giving away any details may spoil the story. But I can one hundred percent say I was impressed by this movie. Tom Ford paid immaculate attention to detail and made a compelling story beautiful on screen. Adams is beautifully simple, and Taylor-Johnson has a small, but important role. For me, Gyllenhaal stole the show completely. He gave one of his best performances to date in my personal opinion, and I believe he deserves a standing ovation.

Do yourself a favor and see this film. If it’s not playing at a local theater, find it. It’s worth the time and money.
Mariel33Mar 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very unique and provocative movie. Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals feels like a perfect work of art, encompassing all of reality's intelligence. One of the most spiritual, and most forceful movies ever made.

From start to finish, Nocturnal Animals possesses sharp social intelligence, and an adept understanding of the symbiosis between left and right-wing (perhaps not more so than Saving Mr Banks, but definitely better). Great movies are usually those which don't need context, or ideology; Nocturnal Animals doesn't just meet this criteria, but resoundingly beats other classic movies when it comes to being independent of context. Neither The Terminator, Alien, Chinatown, The Matrix Revolutions or Seven come close to rivalling the emotional and philosophical power of Nocturnal Animals.

One of the greatest movies of all time, Nocturnal Animals is about the war between the link between reality's origin and morality and the ability of that link. The movie is the ability to needlessly, yet morally pretend to violate. If movies are like tools for decoding the universe, Nocturnal Animals is the example that best represents this idea. Paralleling the story of Susan against that of Tony Hastings, it seems that Nocturnal Animals is about the very identity of logic. On the surface, the film is about guilt and revenge, however, in actual fact Nocturnal Animals can be interpreted as the identity of logic being the uncreated needing the created to create the uncreated.

On some level, Nocturnal Animals appears to be about ending the duplication of cause, so that the original cause can be violent. And in a way this makes sense, because at certain times throughout the movie - examples being the police line-up and the arrest of Ray Marcus - it's as if normality has become the duplication of itself. Whatever the exact relevance of this idea, it's undeniable that Nocturnal Animals is a different force of nature, compared to other films.
SquaredRenAug 19, 2017
This movie is beautiful, the acting by all actors is very well done. The atmosphere that it brings will always maintain you interested in the plot. The overall plot it's brilliant, it's the most elegant way to hurt someone who hurted youThis movie is beautiful, the acting by all actors is very well done. The atmosphere that it brings will always maintain you interested in the plot. The overall plot it's brilliant, it's the most elegant way to hurt someone who hurted you before, and that really matters for most of us who in some way have been hurt. Overall, not everyone will understand this film, it's like a little puzzle, but everyone should give it a try. Expand
LukehatJul 7, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It began very powerfully. The moral situation portrayed stired something in me. Strangely, despite knowing this film is a story, when I found out it was a novel within a story, it took a lot of the feeling away towards the novel. The film may have been too strong for people to stomach otherwise. A novel written by a character within a story enabled more character layers that is difficult to portray, and the relationship drama was enhanced signifcantly because of it. I would probably be quite bored with solely the mainstory drama. So the two stories complemented each other well - one toned down the other in to a happy medium. That context i've never seen before. The ending I thought was also clever and had a few potential meanings. My take on that different from other critics: I think Tony (Jake) is avoiding the pain of going/rejection and still being weak. He hasn't changed, and neither has she - (fancy restaurant). People don't change. Expand
POPandreamonetNov 24, 2017
i wathed this movie late at night as fitting tribute to many feels. This movie delivesr many feels and i feel like you should watch it alone also at night
amheretojudgeJan 16, 2018
we all eventually turn into our mothers..

Nocturnal Animals

It's a fine art by Tom Ford from the first frame to the last as it projects some dark pitches especially Jake Gyllenhaal's track which he portrays it with all the sincerity.
Jose_VitorJan 30, 2018
a Movie that at the same time that it carries in the back a heavy and shocking face can instigate numerous interpretations in the May of the narrative, thing that several films of the genre can not do
TchaikovskyJun 23, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awsome film, magistrally filmed, incredible deep acurate main characters played by the wonderful Ammy Adams and a the notable actor Jacker Gynehaal. Its a very good Drama an thriller wich touch the hypocresy senseless of the american high society, and the cruelty of a terrible crime. Expand
wevertonaguiiarAug 19, 2019
Esse é definitivamente é um filme poderoso. Mexe contigo pela sua fotografia impecável, seu roteiro redondo e seu elenco sensacional. Há muito significado aqui: todo dialogo importa.
fightwarriorOct 21, 2019
una pelicula bella por donde se mire, que no parece hecha por un amateur, TOM FORD nos regalo una historia maravillosa en la cual nada es lo que parece o mejor dicho que es mucho mas de lo que parece
LegitSaltMay 29, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The opening says a lot about this film, this being "I am not your regular film". Although this scene may be seen as obscene or abhorred, it is truly an expression of freedom, something that characters in the film struggle to obtain. The first main character is trapped between what she wants to be and what the world wants her to be, thus she is never truly free. Jake Gyllenhaal's real-life character was seeking artistic and expressive freedom, something he originally had when with Susan. However, she changes her views, after she realizes how restraining the binds of the world can be. And with these changes, she shuts him out, setting him on a downward spiral. Susan is freed, however, whilst reading the book 'Nocturnal Animals' as she is able to explore and visit places beyond what is expected and wanted of her. In the story, we follow a man who is bound by the restraints of having a wife and child. This changes, when they are raped and murdered, having been taken forcefully from him during a highway encounter. Despite losing his familial bonds, he is still not free, since he takes it upon himself to spend every waking minute of his life to get revenge on their killers. In the end, it is this lack of freedom that causes him to die alone in the desert. Similarly, Susan ends the film alone and deserted at a bar, waiting for a man who will never come. Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal both give excellent performances. I did find some issue with the logistics of both the real world and the one constructed in the novel. If you enjoy an engaging thriller or the concept of a story within a story, then definitely check this one out. Expand
Max_MrJul 1, 2020
Just bad, very bad. Absolutley not interesting story, silly acts of characters, and, thriller? Whaat? It is not thriller AT ALL. Wasting of time. Disappointed. 1.5 points just for pretty actress and 1.5 points for Gyllenhaal.
А теперь
А теперь по-русски. Фильм настолько неинтересный, насколько он может быть, от некоторых действий персонажей ты КРИЧИШЬ от их тупости. Никакой развязки, никакого хитро-выебанного поворота сюжета, НИ-ЧЕ-ГО. Я потратил 2 часа жизни впустую (хотя было пару моментов, которые должны были быть страшными или удивительными, но я просто поржал от их тупости и нелепости). В общем если вы все-таки захотели посмотреть эту хуету, дайте себе пару сильных пощечин и проспитесь. 1.5 балла из трех за красивую героиню, 1.5 за Джилленхола.
DjakeirJan 30, 2019
If people ever argue that films are not art, I will show them this film. The work that has gone into every scene in this movie is outstanding and efortlessly majestic and poignant. The very roots of this film in immersed in art. The acting isIf people ever argue that films are not art, I will show them this film. The work that has gone into every scene in this movie is outstanding and efortlessly majestic and poignant. The very roots of this film in immersed in art. The acting is of the highest standard which is a given providing the cast members with particular focus on the immense abilities of Jake Gyllenhaal. The movie is very impactful on the viewer and should be on the film industry as well as it shows how to tell a story in a gracious yet emotive, and human way. Expand
AvishanHOct 27, 2019
I respect the point of view that it was trying to say(Strongest thing about this movie). I think the director could be a little bit cleaner to avoid being underrated but after all I enjoyed watching NOCTURNAL ANIMALS :)
DawdlingPoetNov 27, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this quite an eery, bleak watch. It won't suit everyone, thats for sure. It features some reasonably strong violence and sexual violence but, possibly moreso, a strong sense of threat/foreboding. Its an unsettling watch due to this and the plot, with both the main female and male characters having to face difficult situations.

Personally, I felt a bit unclear about the ultimate plot direction and I didn't feel like it really stood out for me as a particularly clever or memorable film, so I can't say I thought it was especially good as such. However, I will say that at the end, I felt more engrossed in the film and I did feel sorry for the main female character, Susan Morrow. Amy Adams, who portrays Susan, does a pretty solid job, I must say. I thought Prisoners, which also stars Jake Gyllenhall (who is in this film) and Hugh Jackman, was bleak and dark but this is, if anything, even moreso.
NavneetBora235Oct 10, 2019
Jake gyllenhaal has done a classy job there which illuminates his acting skills , Too underrated actor.
Though Amy Adams has done a commendable job too along with other supporting cast but Jake stole the show.
IHavePneumoniaFeb 5, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is hot, gormless, sweaty garbage.

bhubgt1Jun 26, 2020
Beautiful. Powerful.
But not for everyone as it leans much more towards being an artistic experience.
geewahJan 13, 2021
A case of style over substance.
The story is okay but gets lost in the pretentious nature of it all.
iCampoRamilOct 20, 2021
Artísticamente es una gozada, es lo que más sorprende.
Narrativamente, hace una especie de ola, empieza normal, luego se viene momentazos, y vuelve a acabar normalilla, es decir, sin ser tan frenética como en el nudo del transcurso.
El
Artísticamente es una gozada, es lo que más sorprende.
El mensaje es muy bueno, muy interesante, puede que cueste darse cuenta, me incluyo, pero una vez lo recapacitas, está muy guay, no es lo típico, y eso se agradece.

· Cosas buenas: El montaje paralelo, interesante, refrescante y muy chulo, las interpretaciones son buenísimas, Gyllenhaal mola un montón, y Amy Adams está que se sale, pero chica, para de llorar. La banda sonora es súper embriagadora y la fotografía, como mencionaba previamente, es sublime.
· Cosas malas: Puede que la narrativa, y en general el argumento sea demasiado rebuscado, y puede que no te convenza.
· Conclusión: No va a ser un thriller que te cambie la vida, pero es interesante, más la forma que el contenido, pero aún así, buenas ambas partes.
AJ_13Mar 1, 2021
Being the cinematography, screenplay and acting its strenghts, Ford achieves to create a really thought-provoking movie. Nevertheless, it lacks of the power needed to be catalogued as a masterpiece.
sugarniteDec 17, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst theater going experiences ever. If you’re able to get past the first five minutes, all you’ll have waiting for you is cringe-inducing, faux-lofty dialogue, and a generic crime drama.

Don’t worry though, the generic crime drama is just a metaphor for birth control, which was unfortunately not the fate of this script.
DarkwingSchmuckMar 23, 2022
Tremendous performances and a top-notch script, Nocturnal Animals is a heavy, engaging drama that is equal parts absorbing yet uncomfortable to watch. Not for those with a weak stomach, but if you're looking for a feel-bad time with some ofTremendous performances and a top-notch script, Nocturnal Animals is a heavy, engaging drama that is equal parts absorbing yet uncomfortable to watch. Not for those with a weak stomach, but if you're looking for a feel-bad time with some of the most (intentionally) selfish, hateful, yet thoroughly human and fascinating characters you can imagine, then look no further. This is one that will leave you contemplating its themes weeks later. Expand