Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 28, 1999
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 124 Ratings
Watch Now
SummersausageJan 6, 2013
This movie was duuuuummmb. It was long and stupid long looks at other characters that led to stupid innuendos that don't work until an ending that just died on the table.
AbhikSAug 28, 2005
This is a candidate for the worst movie ever made.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
KenRMar 15, 2019
If you’re a hopeless romantic (as I tend to be) you may last the distance of this way overlong, crudish, fairytale. By the first 20mins, I was getting somewhat restless and my viewing accomplice simply said, enough is enough, then got up andIf you’re a hopeless romantic (as I tend to be) you may last the distance of this way overlong, crudish, fairytale. By the first 20mins, I was getting somewhat restless and my viewing accomplice simply said, enough is enough, then got up and left. I waited to see if it got better – it didn’t. Hugh Grant is typecast (or should that be miscast?) as the by the numbers coy, clumsy, bookstore owner - while Julia Roberts does her best to convince, as the poor-little-rich-movie star. Both have to deal with a forced, unrealistic, script by the same writing team of ‘4 weddings and a Funeral’ (& it shows) with a dreary slow pace. Example; if you can swallow the idea that an International Movie Mega-Star beauty, can walk unnoticed through the streets and shops of London - without attracting any Paparazzi! - Or on the other hand, that a nobody, spreading a rumour one night in a local pub, can bring a street blocking avalanche of international press to an unknown ‘private’ address – then you might enjoy this outlandish ‘would-be’ situation comedy. Ms Roberts knows only too well, how impossible it would be for her character to get away with this super-stretched situation. It’s amazing what star power can do to convince some audiences to part with their money. If you happen to be in the right starry-eyed mood (like; newly in love or just won the lottery) you could possibly be the right audience for this fluff – otherwise, don’t expect too much, look for something worthwhile or just steer clear. If this is being touted as one the best romantic movies of its year – then, seems to suggest there may have been lean pickings on offer. As with too many movies of this era, the soundtrack is overloaded with unnecessary pop songs to fill in for gaps in dialog (and sell S/T CDs). To each their own.

Best point; It offers a role for a disabled character to be shown in a positive light.