While Mr. Burns hasn’t fully digested his influences, he has learned from them. Our House distinguishes itself with its purposeful pacing — the first real jump scare arrives more than a third of the way through — its use of sound and crosscutting, and its wit with household objects, from a turntable to a mechanical calendar.
Arguably, the film's hard turn into Scaresville taints what has made it appealing up to this point — and certainly, a tease in its final shot is a cheap gesture toward a possible sequel. But what comes before benefits from the cast's solid familial chemistry and an unhurried approach to the question: Should we want to talk to loved ones who've died, or leave them (and ourselves) in peace?
When the movie shifts more toward fright in its final third, Burns and Parker don’t have much new or exciting to offer. But with the help of a strong performance from Mann, they do a good job capturing one family’s feelings of brokenness, and how far they’d go to get back what they lost.
What this still modest yet considerably slicker upgrade gains in surface gloss and FX, it loses in psychological intensity and suspension of disbelief — qualities heightened by the prior film’s handmade origins.
Don't be fooled by the idiotic negative reviews from so called professionals, Our House is a clever and subtle horror / drama with a top notch atmosphere and strong performance from the leads. For sure this isn't the best horror film of the year out there but despite the classic ending and some cliché sequences the overall experience really worth it.
A very interesting movie with not a lot of scares but more atmospheric. The kind of movie that it is intelligent enough to show its cards little by little causing that you do not realize that it has passed an hour and the movie it is about to end. Besides that, it has a beautiful message of family ties.
This movie has good acting for the most part. but my god the plot is predictable. 90 percent of this movie is teases and setting things up. the other 10 percent is supposed to be "scary" but this movie is far from being scary. i was never scared once. this film is incredibly formaliec and the ending is a cheap way to set up a sequel. super forgetable movie and nothing is unique or stands out