CJ Entertainment | Release Date: October 11, 2019
Universal acclaim based on 1575 Ratings
1,441
Watch Now
BENNEBOct 11, 2019
To sum this movie it up, it is a black comedy, a thriller, a horror and a social satire in 2 hours. Seems like a lot in 2 hours, but not only is the message of class division clear, Bong presents it in the most accessible and humorous wayTo sum this movie it up, it is a black comedy, a thriller, a horror and a social satire in 2 hours. Seems like a lot in 2 hours, but not only is the message of class division clear, Bong presents it in the most accessible and humorous way while being able to shock his viewer; and everything from the performance of the cast, to the script, to the cinematography and to the production is flawless and jaw dropping.

Calling it a great movie is an understatement. Bong has created a masterpiece and what could possibly his best film so far. Go watch the movie as soon as possible. If you love cinema, this is one movie you have to watch. It will leave you speechless at the end.
m15964Oct 13, 2019
Absolutely magnificent movie from a great great filmmaker that always send the audience to a place that could just say: "WoW, whatafuq...!"
theredskyOct 30, 2019
Parasite is a modern day masterpiece even though it’s not one of my favorite films nor is it my favorite film of the year. I have one tiny issue with the film but it is more of a nitpick. The film’s message is a little on the nose but I don’tParasite is a modern day masterpiece even though it’s not one of my favorite films nor is it my favorite film of the year. I have one tiny issue with the film but it is more of a nitpick. The film’s message is a little on the nose but I don’t have a huge issue with it but it is noticeable. Other than that, this film is perfect. There is not one bad performance in the movie. Cho Yeo-jeong, Park So-dam, and Kang-Ho Song are standouts from the film. All 3 of them have some of the best acting of the year. Their work with a fantastic script that is incredibly well written and clever makes their performance so much more enjoyable. Another aspect I loved was the cinematography. The film’s slow camera movements and slow tracking shots look absolutely beautiful which go along great with the fantastic production design. The film’s story and themes make this film incredible. The story of this poor family slowly infiltrating a rich family only to find out that their house is not what it seems. It’s so incredibly tense. You never know what is going to happen next and it’s always surprising to see what eventually happens. The film has themes of class divide and class warfare throughout which are very profound. The rich family says these lines about how great their life is while the opposite is happening to the poor family. Every time this occurs, you see how the poor family reacts and makes the scene and film itself dramatically more tense. Another thing I liked about the film was the score by Jung Jaeil. His score adds so much more to the tension. I know I’m using the word tension a lot but that’s what this film is. A constant build up of tension scene by scene until it all culminates in the finale. For me, each passing scene left me more and more on the edge of my seat. One final aspect I want to touch on is the humor. Most of the jokes are cleverly written and while some of the jokes may not be that funny, I do appreciate how they were cleverly inserted instead of incredibly forced. Except this film to be on a bunch of Top 10 lists at the end of the year. Overall, Parasite is a fantastic film with great acting, great cinematography, and a powerful story about class divide even if its message may be a little too on the nose. Expand
SlackerkingOct 20, 2019
It’s never less than interesting and watchable but in the end for me there are so many better Korean movies that it doesn’t live up to the hype of my expectations.
JLuis_001Nov 15, 2019
I wasn't sure what I would find with Parasite beyond the expectations I had for the excellent reviews it has received so far.

But if I should emphasize something about it is its unpredictability in a story that thematically emanates an amazing dramatic darkness and at the same time manages to balance it with a touch of black comedy and certain elements of a mystery thriller.

Parasite is a film completely controlled and designed to be unraveled delicately while you consume its social commentary and understand both sides of the social spectrums of both families and the ending leaves a bitter lesson and yet nothing lacking reality.
You will talk about it quite a bit after finishing it

Parasite is the kind of cinema that is always welcome and always necessary.
Disturbing, dramatic, funny and unpredictable: A triumph.
MarkHReviewsNov 2, 2019
In “Parasite,” Writer/Director Bong Joon Ho continues his critique of capitalist economies that, in his judgment, inevitably create economic divides resulting in class warfare. In his earlier films “Okja” (2017) and “Snowpiercer” (2013),In “Parasite,” Writer/Director Bong Joon Ho continues his critique of capitalist economies that, in his judgment, inevitably create economic divides resulting in class warfare. In his earlier films “Okja” (2017) and “Snowpiercer” (2013), Bong used a platform of science fiction to soften the message. With “Parasite,” he employs slapstick and dark humor to leaven a story that, in lesser hands, might have become painfully didactic.

Setting his story in Seoul, Bong has the benefit of dealing with class warfare and economic inequality without the complication of race. South Korea is one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries in the world – 96% of the population is Korean.

Bong’s pacing of his story is impeccable. In Act One, we are introduced to the Kim family, literally and figuratively living in the lower reaches of the city, the parents unemployed and struggling, the kids getting by on street smarts. When workers come by spraying white clouds of pesticide in their rodent-infested section of the city, the father advises to leave the windows open: “It’s free extermination.” At the other end of the economic spectrum is the Park family, wealthy beyond reason and totally reliant on others to do anything requiring physical or mental heavy lifting. Bong underlines his premise by conveying clearly that, while they have great wealth, the Parks are not endowed with a particularly high level of intelligence, common sense or self-awareness.

When a wealthy friend of the Kim son creates an opportunity for him to tutor the Park daughter, the Kims use this entry point as leverage, creating jobs for every member of the family within the Park household. So far, the story, is light, bright and slapstick, with only a small vein of dark humor. This tone offers opportunities for non-threatening exposition. Remarking on the Parks’ unlined faces, Mr. Kim intones: “Money is like an iron. It smooths the creases out.”

In Act Two, the story takes a darker turn, initially by exploring the consequences of the Kims’ actions on one of the displaced workers. By the end of the film, class warfare has escalated from bland observations (Mr. Park observes that those who ride on the subway have a “special smell”) to full-on emotional and physical violence. For me, Bong’s thoughtful, subtly-crafted story invoked a fair amount of thought and introspection.

“Parasite” won the top prize at this year’s Cannes Film Festival and is South Korea’s entry for Best International Feature Film at the Oscars. It’s one of the finest films of the year.
AvishanHOct 16, 2019
Here it is.My favorite movie from Asian cinema this year.Good Acting,good script and a good directing... Thank you Bong Joon-ho
Joemama13Nov 15, 2019
Such a good movie. Probably one of the best films ever created. Takes you on a roller coaster of emotions
AaronANov 30, 2019
I rarely log in to write a review.

This move made me instantly log in to post one.
willlolOct 27, 2019
Um dos melhores filmes desse século até o momento, sem dúvidas! Apenas assistam e procurem saber o menos possível para terem uma experiência surreal de vida.
moviemitch96Nov 2, 2019
This is a Korean film that I can't quite categorize! I don't know whether to consider it a comedy, drama, thriller, dark comedy, etc., as it contains so many elements of all these genres. One thing I do know is certain though, this is such anThis is a Korean film that I can't quite categorize! I don't know whether to consider it a comedy, drama, thriller, dark comedy, etc., as it contains so many elements of all these genres. One thing I do know is certain though, this is such an interesting and unbelievable film in virtually every way possible! Winner of the Palme d'Or (the French equivalent of an Academy Award) earlier this year at the Cannes Film Festival, this film follows a poor Korean family that attempts to insert themselves into the lives of a rich, upper-class suburban family by getting themselves hired for various jobs for the family, such as a math tudor, chauffeur, cook, etc. They seem intent on even replacing the family and claiming the house for themselves if possible, until they stumble upon something shocking and unexpected within the house. And to say too much else beyond that would ruin the amazing experience of viewing this film for the first time! Really, all I can say is this: No other film this year had me laughing so much during one moment, and then completely on the edge of my seat during another, with certain scenes even leaving me absolutely breathless and speechless! The acting, writing, and dialogue were all so brilliant and razor-sharp as well! The film is layered with so many unexpected twists and turns! I never knew where this film was going or what it'd morph or evolve into next, as each scene and moment always felt so radically different and unpredictable than the last! On top of all that, the film undeniably provides a unique subtext on class, social status, the lengths some will go to for prosperity, and how people within certain classes are often perceived. Overall, I can't even begin to heap enough praise towards this masterpiece of a film! It had just about everything to offer, combined so many favorite elements and genres of mine, and left me flabbergasted by the end to the point where I sat through the entire credits and then some in order to properly process and sit with what I'd just watched! This is far and out one of the best films of the year, maybe even the decade! Expand
TakoxNov 3, 2019
The biggest surprise of the year. I went to watch the movie without knowing very well what I was going to find, and I left delighted. The artistic direction is 10/10, and the mix of drama, comedy and thriller make the two hours and peak thatThe biggest surprise of the year. I went to watch the movie without knowing very well what I was going to find, and I left delighted. The artistic direction is 10/10, and the mix of drama, comedy and thriller make the two hours and peak that the movie lasts by flying. Totally recommended. Expand
BulgarianCriticNov 10, 2019
This movie was really good.The cinematography was incredible and every shot that was filmed was done so masterfully.The film also does great with mixing comedy,tragedy and suspenfullness.I have barely watched any Korean movies(except trainThis movie was really good.The cinematography was incredible and every shot that was filmed was done so masterfully.The film also does great with mixing comedy,tragedy and suspenfullness.I have barely watched any Korean movies(except train to busan) but i can see that Koreans are making really good movies so i will have to keep an eye on their movies since they really do emotional movies great. Expand
MurphyBrandonDec 21, 2019
Parasite is satirical, but it's not meant to make you laugh hysterically. It's more sophisticated than that. It takes some unexpected turns that kept it interesting throughout. There is a turning point in the film when everything clearlyParasite is satirical, but it's not meant to make you laugh hysterically. It's more sophisticated than that. It takes some unexpected turns that kept it interesting throughout. There is a turning point in the film when everything clearly starts heading towards a chaotic finish, and it delivered well. Expand
gobagOct 22, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think my life is like that, it was a very deep and content film, thank you. Expand
DerekReideDec 20, 2019
Well...This film is almost a masterpiece, for its genre. Visually stunning, brilliant acting, amazing direction by Bong Joon Ho, and a captivating story drive this film to incredible heights. I’m never too keen on foreign-language films as IWell...This film is almost a masterpiece, for its genre. Visually stunning, brilliant acting, amazing direction by Bong Joon Ho, and a captivating story drive this film to incredible heights. I’m never too keen on foreign-language films as I can’t really understand them even with the captions, but this just glorified them. The only thing I’d say about this film that doesn’t really drive the movie down for me is the pacing was a tad slow, but that would be me nitpicking for any mistakes. Overall, one of 2019’s best for sure. Expand
ArthuuOct 24, 2019
A totally unexpected movie, left me disturbed. It's so good that it feels kind of unreal to be created in 2019. Masterpiece & best one of the year.
AvaresseDec 14, 2019
I usually don't watch movies, my attention span is simply just too short for so many of them. Its for that sole reason I stick mainly to just thrillers and suspense, productions that will keep me at the edge of my seat. And oh boy ParasiteI usually don't watch movies, my attention span is simply just too short for so many of them. Its for that sole reason I stick mainly to just thrillers and suspense, productions that will keep me at the edge of my seat. And oh boy Parasite does not disappoint in that aspect in any way whatsoever. Its a movie full of twists, one wont know what hit 'em.. Expand
ajzeg01Nov 30, 2019
This movie was amazing!!! This is the latest movie from South Korean director Bong Joon-ho, director of The Host, Okja, Snowpiercer and more. This is only the second movie of his that I have seen and it really makes me want to watch more!This movie was amazing!!! This is the latest movie from South Korean director Bong Joon-ho, director of The Host, Okja, Snowpiercer and more. This is only the second movie of his that I have seen and it really makes me want to watch more! This movie is about a poor family who all get jobs working for a rich family as part of a scheme, and it just gets crazier from there. The performances are excellent, the story is interesting, it looks beautiful, it has comedy, it has suspense, it has horror, it has romance, it has everything! My only complaints are that the movie is a little slow in the first act and that sometimes the dialogue went by too fast for me to read the subtitles. This is good writing, and I feel like I missed some of it. I’m a pretty slow reader though, so your experience may differ. And yeah, the movie is presented in its original language and subtitled. If that’s an issue for you, don’t see it. You won’t enjoy it. Otherwise, if you want an exciting and well-made movie that is completely original, go see this movie! It’s one of the best of the year! Expand
Odedy777Oct 15, 2019
Definitely worth watching and for my opinion the best foreign film of the year,
Bruno85309Dec 24, 2019
Incrível, fenomenal, sucesso total. Uma verdediera obra de 2019, filme traz toda uma relevância para o debate atual sobre qualidade de vida, desigualdade social, luta de classes, violência.
opinion_haverNov 30, 2019
This movie has a little something for everyone; comedy, drama, thriller. A full palette of emotions, masterful cinematography and an immersive and believable story. I'd recommend this to anyone who is willing to anyone who is willing to watchThis movie has a little something for everyone; comedy, drama, thriller. A full palette of emotions, masterful cinematography and an immersive and believable story. I'd recommend this to anyone who is willing to anyone who is willing to watch a movie with subtitles. One of the best films I've seen all year. Expand
bkorrasNov 23, 2019
You know a movie's good when you wind up having a dream about it. The last movie that affected me that way was Akira Kurosawa's Ran. The latest to affect me that way is Bong Joon Ho's Parasite. The only other movie I've seen from Bong isYou know a movie's good when you wind up having a dream about it. The last movie that affected me that way was Akira Kurosawa's Ran. The latest to affect me that way is Bong Joon Ho's Parasite. The only other movie I've seen from Bong is Snowpiercer, a film that dealt with the issues of class inequality, in Parasite he returns to this theme, but this time he plays it from a very realistic angle. Bong captures the tension of class disparity superbly, blending grittiness, humour and horror, and striking imagery that completely immerses you in the world he created. The actors all do a superb job, especially Kang Ho-Song, who best exemplifies through his performance, what it feels like to be on the less-fortunate end of the class spectrum. The writing is superb too, in particular how it portrays the struggle to move up the class ladder, using both the optimistic practicality of "planning" and pessimistic impracticality of "dreaming", in a hard-hitting way. This movie forces you to ride the wave with our main characters, all the way up, and down.

The cinematography is beautiful, and the images composed superbly. The way the cinematography captures the architecture of our more-fortunate characters home is breathtaking, so is their lifestyle. No wonder our main characters plot and dream of being in that position, who wouldn't want to be?. The score stands out too. At times it gets super eerie and spacy and combined with the imagery, it helps produce the feeling that you are in a fever dream, and trust me, when the sh*t hits the fan in this, it's a fever dream and then some. I highly recommend this hard-hitting bit of cinema.
GinaKOct 29, 2019
A great film that deserved to win the Palme D’Or at Cannes. In a strange way, it’s a Korean version of Upstairs, Downstairs, but much more cutthroat and much more fun. You never quite know what will happen next with such wily servants andA great film that deserved to win the Palme D’Or at Cannes. In a strange way, it’s a Korean version of Upstairs, Downstairs, but much more cutthroat and much more fun. You never quite know what will happen next with such wily servants and such clueless and pampered rich people. Expand
AndremaxDec 3, 2019
Parasite is funny and clever at the same time. Through trickster reality, plot is developed under a lot of intelligence and it's almost impossible doesn't hold yourself until movie's end. Probably this year's best movie.
Brent_MarchantOct 24, 2019
Dissecting the struggle between the classes through the lens of innate human nature -- regardless of class status -- provides the foundation for this rip-roaring black comedy/social satire, one of those rare films that grabs your attentionDissecting the struggle between the classes through the lens of innate human nature -- regardless of class status -- provides the foundation for this rip-roaring black comedy/social satire, one of those rare films that grabs your attention and holds it from start to finish without letting go. Building on themes explored in such previous works as "Snowpiercer," writer-director Bong Joon Ho serves up a riveting, ruthless offering that makes its point clearly but without being heavy-handed or cartoonishly over the top. In doing so, the filmmaker dishes out a wealth of utterly hilarious humor about subjects that ultimately prove to be no laughing matter. Easily one of the year's best, sufficiently award-worthy in many respects, especially in its superb writing, the fine performances of its excellent ensemble cast and a thought-provoking message that should give us all a lot to think about. Expand
GiesonDec 2, 2019
Easily the best movie of 2019. A great movie, it entertains, it thrills and it shocks, thanks to a perfect direction by Bong and some incredible performances from the cast.
alejandro970Dec 31, 2019
From South Korea, the movie that will be the worst nightmare of Almodovar and Scorsese. Dark comedy, drama and suspense in the vein of Hitchcock are mixed masterly in the story for a family of phonies and his dastardly art of getting awayFrom South Korea, the movie that will be the worst nightmare of Almodovar and Scorsese. Dark comedy, drama and suspense in the vein of Hitchcock are mixed masterly in the story for a family of phonies and his dastardly art of getting away with it, or almost. Unexpected twists and an unpredictable end will make this one be tattoed in the memory of viewer. Rush! Expand
ahmedaiman1999Oct 12, 2019
MIND-PARASITIZING!

One of the most exquisitely directed, and well-crafted, films of the decade. Give Joon-ho Bong an Oscar from now! (8.5/10)
MovieRiffingJan 6, 2020
Parasite stands atop the rest of the competition as the best film of 2019. Director Bong Joon-ho delivers his masterpiece, a film that has you hooked from the very beginning. Over the course of Parasite's runtime, it draws you deeper andParasite stands atop the rest of the competition as the best film of 2019. Director Bong Joon-ho delivers his masterpiece, a film that has you hooked from the very beginning. Over the course of Parasite's runtime, it draws you deeper and deeper into its world, demanding more and more of your attention. Just when your investment in the characters peaks, Bong Joon-ho takes Parasite off the rails and delivers a striking message on the innate struggles between classes. Add in fantastic performances and cinematography, and you have the must-see film of 2019. Expand
lurcasJan 11, 2020
Parasite is one the best movies I have watched hands down! Highly recommended
ScotlandSlagDec 5, 2019
Amazing film. Authentic, real, and a story I have never seen put to film before. Highly recommend. 10/10
622495905229283Jan 9, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is the best of the year.
There will always be movies like this Befitting oscar
KcandresFeb 24, 2020
I think a ten film is one that you enjoy in the moment, but it stays with you after. I’ll be thinking about this movie for days and will continue to get more out of it as I do so. I thought I would be let down after all they hype and this isI think a ten film is one that you enjoy in the moment, but it stays with you after. I’ll be thinking about this movie for days and will continue to get more out of it as I do so. I thought I would be let down after all they hype and this is not the case. My only complaint is that it does feel a little long at points, although I don’t know what they could have cut. Expand
ClaquetteFeb 28, 2020
Film bluffant à voir quelque soit vos goûts cinématographiques Évolution scénaristique très intéressante je trouve
dharmaJan 11, 2020
Bong Jon-ho and the rest of Korean cinema is giving Hollywood a run for its money, and this film is a proof of that. The fact that Western audiences praises this flick like its the second coming is a little too much. Yes, it is highlyBong Jon-ho and the rest of Korean cinema is giving Hollywood a run for its money, and this film is a proof of that. The fact that Western audiences praises this flick like its the second coming is a little too much. Yes, it is highly original, and yes, it shifts its tone from broad comedy to thriller with incredible ease, but Korean cinema has been doing that for the last 2 decades or so. If it takes this flick for film fans to be aware of this incredible film industry, then so be it. Expand
JoeCoolFeb 15, 2020
I saw this movie for the third time now. I'm still trying to think of a movie that's better than this one and coming up short. The first ever non-English spoken movie that won the best movie oscar, simply because it was the best movie. It'sI saw this movie for the third time now. I'm still trying to think of a movie that's better than this one and coming up short. The first ever non-English spoken movie that won the best movie oscar, simply because it was the best movie. It's an amazing story with a twist and an ending that I really didn't see coming. A drama/comedy balance with social commentary that works surprisingly well. The acting is simply great and I think it'll be a while before something better comes to the big screen. It's just really, really good, even after seeing it three times I still love every second of it. Expand
keanexFeb 18, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An incredible story of a poor family who scams their way into working for a rich family, each taking on a separate role. The movie moves forward and becomes more intense as each moment occurs, culminating in a finish that is thrilling. A fantastic movie that feels fresh and full of new thoughts and ideas even 2 hours in. Expand
imthenoobApr 8, 2020
I think the best thing I can say about this movie is how well everything blends together. Bong has truly crafted a film that fires on all cylinders and that alone makes me highly recommend watching it.
Voodoo123Mar 15, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw bong joon-ho's the host and I can see he brings many of the same themes (poverty, classism, codependent family relationships) in his latest movie parasite. What starts as an endearing tale of a crooked family drama (which gets a bit long in the tooth) takes a hard right into 'lets see how long they can play hide and seek in the house' all the way to 'metaphorical homeless guy lives in the basement and worships the upperclass homeowner'.... So not very subtle writing here! Still the cast are superb here and the cinematography was slightly above average. My only wish is that the screenplay held back from it's flights of fancy long enough for us to enjoy the wonderful texture of that first 30 mins. A decent watch overall. Expand
DOLLAR_376Jan 22, 2020
An instant classic that keeps you hooked from beginning to end. It is easy to watch, but deep and ambiguous at the same time, with outstanding performances and excelent direction by Bong Joon Ho.
ger89Feb 9, 2020
El guión es impresionante, como puede generar entramados de historias, tantos círculos conectados. desde la familia por un lado, desde la ciudad por otro. desde el hogar, desde la calle. desde el suelo, desde la tierra. desde los parásitos yEl guión es impresionante, como puede generar entramados de historias, tantos círculos conectados. desde la familia por un lado, desde la ciudad por otro. desde el hogar, desde la calle. desde el suelo, desde la tierra. desde los parásitos y los parasitados. hay muchos binomios Expand
joaogabriNov 26, 2019
Perfeito, o melhor filme do ano e não tem discussão. Direção, roteiro e montagem no máximo. Bong Joon-ho está em outro nível.
MahmusSep 25, 2020
Parasite is one of the most perfect movies released in recent years. With its impecable directing and great performances, it delivers a darkly funny, often awkwardly haunting tale that touches on themes of class devide while never forgettingParasite is one of the most perfect movies released in recent years. With its impecable directing and great performances, it delivers a darkly funny, often awkwardly haunting tale that touches on themes of class devide while never forgetting to be first and foremost a very enjoyable thriller. Expand
soundmateMar 10, 2020
I have never cared about acollades. I never watch a film because it has won a Golden Globe or listen to a specific album because it has won 3 Grammys. But this time it has been different. When I saw the huge amount of Academy AwardsI have never cared about acollades. I never watch a film because it has won a Golden Globe or listen to a specific album because it has won 3 Grammys. But this time it has been different. When I saw the huge amount of Academy Awards "Parasite" was recieving, I felt the immediate need to see it. And I won't ever regret it.
"Parasite", directed by Bong Joon-ho, is a perfect mix of black comedy, thriller, drama and social critic. It just has everything. The title is also magnificent. It makes you think that you'll see South Korea battling against "coronavirus" but no; you'll watch a capturing movie where the word "parasite" will recieve another deep meaning: the way poor people are seen by the rich class and how someone opposed to you is a kind of virus inside your house; something that doesn't fit in, that does not belong here nor isn't welcomed.
This film is, by far, a must-see for cinema lovers since it has all factors that make a movie perfect. My congartulations to the actors and director who made me cry of joy and of sadness and have made me see how this world is a beautiful mess.
Sierra-117Feb 8, 2020
Parasite, Bong Joon-Ho's recent Satire of the social class division in South Korea is nothing short of incredible. The film is more or less divided into two major sections:
the first half of the film follows a Family living in the poor areas
the first half of the film follows a Family living in the poor areas of Seoul (im assuming). After the son Ki-Woo (Choi Woo-shik)is given the opportunity to work as an English tutor in an extremely rich household, he begins to realize that despite having a great income, the adults of the family are not exactly the brightest of induviduals, and so slowly Ki-Woo and his family devise a plan to all come into the employment of their new wealthy acquaintances. Although the film may give a lighthearted impression, once the movie transitions into the second half it becomes extraordinarily twisted, slightly resembling the ending of Robert Eggers's 'The Lighthouse'.
After contemplating the events that took place witin the film, It seems obvious to me that Like JB Priestley's 'An Inspector Calls', Bong Joon-ho intends for this movie to display a clear contast between the lives of the rich and the struggles of the poor within this obviously unjust society. Of course it doesn't just rub your face with morals, and there is a very substantial and entertaining plot, but this is one of the main focuses of the movie.
As for the other, i'd say that would be the excellent dynamic between characters which is further developed by the brilliant performances from every cast member, particularly Park So-dam who in my opinion was robbed of a Best supporting actress nomination. Other notable features include some top of the line cinematography and a outstanding writing, but other than that I feel there isn't much to talk about.
Parasite is an absolute masterpiece, and like so many other films that have come out recently I absolutely recommend it.

Fun fact: Elon Musk officially stated that Parasite was his favorite movie of 2019, and whie that's all well and good, the film practically exists to ridicule people like him.
NeutralAsianFeb 19, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is an art and full of mysteries that will always keep you busy wondering what will happen next. No cliches or any nonsense. Straight story telling and great acting. The Director is really good. Expand
SrGusFeb 3, 2020
The film made me feel different things while watching it, like anguish, anger, fear and even joy. It is amazing how the film can change so much from beginning to end without realizing it, and when we notice it, we are already very euphoricThe film made me feel different things while watching it, like anguish, anger, fear and even joy. It is amazing how the film can change so much from beginning to end without realizing it, and when we notice it, we are already very euphoric waiting for future events. The film is full of super well done scenes. It is usually a discreet angle of the camera that gives us the view of grandeur or claustrophobia. The perfect montage along with the soundtrack, which causes us a lot of anxiety and magnifies the main characters' wooden face, or a big turnaround in the script, containing once again, a montage, soundtrack and performances collaborating so that the scene is quite harmonious . I never thought I'd be in any doubt if I hoped someone would do well or badly in the story. I loved the experience, I loved the film and the social criticism it proposes about class difference, showing in a very discreet way the privileges of some and the lack of privileges of others. Parasite (Gisaengchung), for sure, is one of the best films I've ever seen. Expand
akhilanFeb 26, 2020
Now it's the time to stop that longing, Parasite was just flashed me through my mind and filled that completion of my waiting. Since it was released, it was talked, it was going for awards and it created a history in Academy Awards I was soNow it's the time to stop that longing, Parasite was just flashed me through my mind and filled that completion of my waiting. Since it was released, it was talked, it was going for awards and it created a history in Academy Awards I was so far and keen to watch this movie and it veils the curtain now. As a movie, it is worth watching because I'm not used to the socio-political aspects of Korean culture. The film describes the class variations and social norm dividing people into rich and poor. But actually what makes me attractive is that kind comic blending at the beginning by the family to enter into the Park mansion. Going smoothly, sometimes it provides a little bit tense and frights the film has a steady graph till the end and then it hype accidentally and I feel astonished. The mood of the movie changed vice-versa and it shook me for some time. A very changing pattern of Korean society and Korean classification was the major essence that I can find in the movie. Expand
xeqtionrFeb 23, 2020
Solid 10. During the entire movie you will be anxious to find out what happens next. It has a lot if symbolism regarding the movie’s main theme. For a movie that is meant to be so dark, it is quite humorous at times, it’s part of what makesSolid 10. During the entire movie you will be anxious to find out what happens next. It has a lot if symbolism regarding the movie’s main theme. For a movie that is meant to be so dark, it is quite humorous at times, it’s part of what makes the movie so great.

Those who rated this movie with a bad score or didn’t like it should just stick to watching the pile of trash being pushed out by Marvel (like Deadpool). If you’re into that kind of garbage, this is probably not the movie for you.
Ev3rgreenMar 16, 2020
Just incredible. I just couldn't keep myself calm because the movie just keep you awake and trapped. I absolutely loved it, a great film full of plot twists, comedy, entertainment, etc. It has everything, and it's definitely worth watching.
suyanneqFeb 13, 2020
yesssssssssssasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
1080pFeb 17, 2020
Parasite really holds its value. Its interesting how all the negative reviews are butt hurt comments with zero constructive analysis or argument. Overall, I enjoyed every bit of the movie. Its mind-blowing how the movie captures theParasite really holds its value. Its interesting how all the negative reviews are butt hurt comments with zero constructive analysis or argument. Overall, I enjoyed every bit of the movie. Its mind-blowing how the movie captures the differences in class by the angle switching and the rhythm of the music. crazy! Expand
thekritsFeb 21, 2020
The best script meets the best director with the best cast and an amazing crew. The culmination of such talent results in an amazing movie. A true art form. A genre of its own. PARASITE never fails and flaunts its knives out. The approach isThe best script meets the best director with the best cast and an amazing crew. The culmination of such talent results in an amazing movie. A true art form. A genre of its own. PARASITE never fails and flaunts its knives out. The approach is insane with the ever sought plot twists and narratives true to life. The film perfect for all. Expand
dabrams88Feb 27, 2020
You know how you read reviews and go into a movie with high expectations. That's what happened to me, seeing all the good review, I had over hyped hopes for this movie. I'm not gonna say they didn't live up to those expectations but.. ItYou know how you read reviews and go into a movie with high expectations. That's what happened to me, seeing all the good review, I had over hyped hopes for this movie. I'm not gonna say they didn't live up to those expectations but.. It wasn't what I was expecting. The story is a bit all over the place and far fetched but hey that's what I'm used to in Asian horror. I'm going to say that this is a must for any asian thriller fans. The again, I don't even think it's considered a horror. Just has some creepy elements to it. I'd say with the story alone it gets a 7.. With the gorgeous cinematography, that bumps it up to an 8. Some really awesome shots from a photographer's perspective. Loved the telephone wire scene. After saying all that, don't take my word for it, actually don't read reviews at all, they can only tarnish the viewing experience. Heck one of my favorite movies is rated a 30% on rotten tomatoes, that goes to show you how much salt should be taken with a review. Expand
clorenzFeb 29, 2020
Parasite is a genre bending film that will stand the test of time. Director Bong Joon Ho has showed that he has mastered his craft as a director and a screenwriter. The theme of class division is consistent throughout the movie and is shownParasite is a genre bending film that will stand the test of time. Director Bong Joon Ho has showed that he has mastered his craft as a director and a screenwriter. The theme of class division is consistent throughout the movie and is shown beautifully through visual storytelling, dialogue, and symbolism. The film's social commentary on the two way parasitic relationship between the rich and the poor in today's society is displayed in a very entertaining and creative way. The twists and surprises along with the super intriguing concept of this con-story made for a movie that entertains as much as any film ever made. Narratively speaking, this story is one for the ages, but it doesn't just stop there. Parasite is a beautiful film thanks to its beautiful and purposeful cinematography, and due to its well-thought out production design. Not only is Parasite a beautiful film to visually take in, but every visual aspect of this film is installed for a reason. Most of the time the visual aspects are installed to enhance the theme of class division. The editing of this film took Parasite to levels even further than already discussed. The flawless editing helped the pace of the movie feel flawless, and it enhanced the thrilling vibe that this movie gives off.

The actors in this film ground this realistic yet crazy concept of a film in reality. Without their terrific chemistry and performances, I am not sure that the film would've resonated with as many people as it did. Parasite is a beautiful ride of a movie that transcends any other film experience I've ever encountered. Parasite has invented a new genre of film that just doesn't have a name yet. It's message on how there is a parasitic relationship across classes has been relevant for centuries and will always be relevant. Because of this, the pure thrill of entertainment the movie provides, and the technical craftmanship of this film, I believe Parasite will become a film that will be recognized worldwide as one of the greatest achievements in cinema. Parasite is not only my favorite film of 2019, but it may perhaps be my favorite film of all-time.
PBearMar 7, 2020
Full of hilarious and tragic surprises. Wildly entertaining. Though provoking. Gorgeously filmed, masterfully written, superbly acted. Deserved to win the oscar!
Shbaua912Mar 8, 2020
Parasite is the epitome of perfect use of visual language. The reason this film translates so well to American audiences is because of its symbols and cinematography. All of which is due to the brilliant directing.
PinankPatel3007Mar 14, 2020
WorthWatch Movie . Full of Drama And Thrill . Message of discrimination Is properly Displayed
PinguinzudoAug 30, 2020
I watched this film almost a year ago and even today when I remember the scenes I am ecstatic. Parasite is something completely unconventional and this is very good. I went to watch the movie to know nothing history and had a greatI watched this film almost a year ago and even today when I remember the scenes I am ecstatic. Parasite is something completely unconventional and this is very good. I went to watch the movie to know nothing history and had a great experience. He's strangely surprising. Expand
mbeckfordNov 26, 2020
"Parasite" is fantastic. It's clever. It's funny. It's disturbing. And yes, there is a powerful underlying theme of the divide between rich and poor. But the latter is so deftly weaved into the fabric of the story, you really don't think"Parasite" is fantastic. It's clever. It's funny. It's disturbing. And yes, there is a powerful underlying theme of the divide between rich and poor. But the latter is so deftly weaved into the fabric of the story, you really don't think about it much until a fateful scene before the last act. It fully deserved the Oscar for Best Picture and Director. If only for the peach fuzz fight scene. Expand
gracjanskiDec 22, 2019
The black humour and some scenes are so funny, that they make the movie already very good. But it is also clever in the beginning, where it shows, how the parasite family is getting into the rich family. Fortunately the movie doesnt show theThe black humour and some scenes are so funny, that they make the movie already very good. But it is also clever in the beginning, where it shows, how the parasite family is getting into the rich family. Fortunately the movie doesnt show the rich family as evil, but they seems to be too simple. Expand
wayne_poshJan 21, 2020
Bong Joon Ho’s 2019 release opens with a sub-ground level view out of a semi-basement window outlooking the alleyway of a Korean slum that will play the setting for most of the first act of the film. As the camera settles on this view, HangulBong Joon Ho’s 2019 release opens with a sub-ground level view out of a semi-basement window outlooking the alleyway of a Korean slum that will play the setting for most of the first act of the film. As the camera settles on this view, Hangul characters discreetly faze into frame and are quickly translated to the American title: Parasite. This seemingly menacing title (for who has any good memories of a parasite?) is in stark contrast to the equally seemingly innocuous backdrop. This opening frame acts as the films first (of many) contradictions that keeps the viewer intrigued and constantly guessing what will happen next all the way up to its thrilling and touching finale.

The film centers around the Kim family: a hard-on-their luck family existing (just barely) amongst the previously mentioned alleyways of the slums that make up the bedrock of this unnamed Korean metropolitan. The family is shown as goofy, well-meaning, cheap, and ultimately entirely relatable. The interesting characters are brought to life by the apparently impeccable talents of the entire main cast. Kang-ho Song acts as patriarch to the Kim family but never acts as the boss. Each family member has a strength to balance any apparent weaknesses they may have. The performances are broad yet nuanced and the dialogue reaches every emotion on the spectrum while always maintaining a hint of comedy. Every character is given a chance to pine as well as get a laugh. If the trailers and posters scare or baffle you, know this: the acting in this movie is worth the cost of admission on its own. The cinematography and writing are all icing on this character-driven cake.

That’s not to say the look and writing of this film are not high points on their own. American viewers will automatically find the Korean setting to be a breath of fresh air with great shots of modern architecture contrasting the dreary shambles of the slums. In every frame of the film, the filmmaker attempts to make the background just as important a character as the people delivering lines. And as the viewers become more accustomed to the diverse settings, the plot constantly creates doubt in our securities and hints at something sinister behind every corner. At the moment you feel most safe, Bong introduces something new that shakes and upturns every notion you built up to that point. This all culminates in a showdown that both strips the viewer of all safety while at the same time establishes a new hope. Walking into the cinema as this film begins, the viewer has a pretty good idea of what kind of film they are in for. But as each scene shifts and every conversation is had in the film, the viewer is treated to something completely new and equally satisfying. The viewer will laugh and cry, cheer and gasp, all while cringing and gripping their seats and this is not an experience offered often to a modern audience. In an age of paint-by-numbers blockbusters, this gem offers a shining example of how great storytelling can be different and completely unsafe. Bong Joon Ho’s own concern about Western audiences reservations about subtitled films rang even more resonant after my viewing as Parasite offers one of the best reasons to hurdle that 1-inch barrier.
eagleeyevikingJan 25, 2020
A sharp social satire and a tense and funny thriller at once, Bong Joon Ho's "Parasite" is a contemporary classic that will be remembered fro years to come.
glen8pFeb 23, 2020
A must see? Nah. Interesting, unpredictable, funny, dark, original, tense, and even Shakespearean, so it's good. Bit I think this is the dori of movie that people "want" to line. Cinematically I don't know how Mendes was passed up for BestA must see? Nah. Interesting, unpredictable, funny, dark, original, tense, and even Shakespearean, so it's good. Bit I think this is the dori of movie that people "want" to line. Cinematically I don't know how Mendes was passed up for Best Director...I don't set what justifies that. And Bessy Picture? I reserve that for the kind of movies are worth repeating. Without the element of surprise I don't see the need here. Watch it. But a must see? Only if you see Old Boy first. THAT is a must see. Expand
everettDec 18, 2019
Brilliant. The writing, acting and directing combine for a social satire that I still can't get out of my mind. The images will haunt you, and bring home the real divide that exists across the world - that of class - and its cost in human terms.
Mike251May 5, 2020
The movie is a brilliant, very dark and edgy comedy, sometimes even a horror movie. The satire and commentary is brilliant and resonates with me so deeply. All the characters and writing is surprisingly realistic and every character has tonsThe movie is a brilliant, very dark and edgy comedy, sometimes even a horror movie. The satire and commentary is brilliant and resonates with me so deeply. All the characters and writing is surprisingly realistic and every character has tons of their own put into them.

People obviously enjoyed making this movie, and were even very humble about the rewards they deservedly received. I just REALLY REALLY enjoyed this movie, so much that I literally considered (I will get it on VOD as soon as it gets there) buying a second movie ticket because it left such a DAMN impression on me the first time, I was encouraged to see it over other stuff. After seeing the other stuff I still feel I'd have better spent my time seeing the movie again.

It's a perfect 10 in every way: production quality, effects, quality of writing (!), the humor, the horror etc.! You MUST see it, at least once or even twice.
CptTitforceJan 29, 2020
I would like to give it a 10/10 but small things just barely make me give it a 9. Overall a masterpiece in cinema
AxeTFeb 14, 2020
The somewhat rare genre bender that works, it is clever and unpredictable up to a point, masterfully crafted, and an overt social commentary on class. It is not this masterpiece classic to be the jackass critics and sheep Academy sing theThe somewhat rare genre bender that works, it is clever and unpredictable up to a point, masterfully crafted, and an overt social commentary on class. It is not this masterpiece classic to be the jackass critics and sheep Academy sing the overpraises of. The casual cursing by a family to each other throughout is oh so typical liberal depravity that artists think is fine but it's not. It debases the culture however subtly over time. The big take away of this film is affirmation there's a reason these crazy goofs can never be allowed to get a nuclear weapon. Expand
Paulchen1409Apr 19, 2020
I can't even describe how well written this movie was. Even in your weirdest Dreams you could never come up with THAT TWIST.
RalfbergsNov 17, 2020
I really enjoyed this movie, it had interesting events, funny moments, tragic moments - everything. At first I thought maybe since it has Oscar I might not like it as sometimes they end up quite boring, but this one was worth it.
bcdserraJan 11, 2020
You may be 14, you may be 40. You may be Korean, Russian or Belgian. None of those matter because there is one certitude: You will LOVE this masterpiece and it's universal, original story. On top of that it has great actors, beautifulYou may be 14, you may be 40. You may be Korean, Russian or Belgian. None of those matter because there is one certitude: You will LOVE this masterpiece and it's universal, original story. On top of that it has great actors, beautiful cinematography, it's fantastically paced and just a lot of fun really. Realising what the fuss was all about after watching it is a twist in itself. Enjoy ! Expand
PipeCJun 8, 2020
gong Joon-Ho’s ultimate genre-defying chef d'œuvre embodies class warfare and capitalist hysteria.

In Bong Joon-Ho’s game-changing social critique, the rich and the wretched descends into capitalist hell in sardonic, comical, and horribly grounded fashion. In times of cholera and uncertainty, Bong Joon-Ho’s latest and buzziest masterpiece comes like a head-turning accomplishment, a surgically accurate class fable, a truly gripping multi-genre piece of entertainment, and a reinvigorating storytelling-rich decade-new awake. Ever since its Palme d’Or win, “Parasite” has been ground-breaking new history, not only by becoming the very first non-English language, non-epic-length period drama nabbing the Best Picture award at the 2020 Oscars ceremony, but by giving new life into movie-going experience in an aging era of convoluted streaming-service battles and rowdy franchise-building tentpoles.

In a way, “Parasite” feels like the “Inception” of this new century. Back in 2010, Christopher Nolan’s towering 160-million Russian doll odyssey opened several doors industry-wise, putting the absolute, always-coveted formula into one single movie: crushing box office incomes, cerebral, wholly original storytelling, and, above else, priceless craftsmanship power. However, Nolan did not treasure any social-resounding message as sharply as Bong Joon-Ho did overseas. “Parasite”, on the other hand, is a small-budgeted, South-Korean thinking piece that, even while managing different procedures— it turned out to be more profitable than Nolan’s pic —comes to the very same conclusion: great filmmaking is the key. Social-headed slices of art would never be about big budgets and small films like “Get Out” and “The Invisible Man” are proving that studios, either big or small, may still conquer audiences with entertaining, on-point storytelling. Script-wise, “Parasite” is an utter knockout. At first glance, the most outstanding, praised features the film exposes now and again are its turns and twists, the comings and goings of a story where everything mutes into something unexpected. These “think-again” premium plot devices are the main pulling force for mainstream audiences, even though they are not the most powerful assets Joon-Ho has to offer. The truly one-of-a-kind centerpieces are: proceedings and composition. Take for instance the 5-minute towering montage at the end of the first act, where black humor, cadence and rhythm are the beating heart of the sequence. It builds and places anticipation at the highest level by using endless narrative tricks to convey the emotions and reactions the film intends to spring up, blurring the line between good and bad, between wealth and the poverty, between sarcasm and irony. Every one of the characters succeeds at becoming storytelling backbones because of the amazing ensemble cast, which— by the way —became the very first foreign Ensemble Winner at SAG Awards, making, one more time, movie history. Park So-dam, Lee Sun-kyun, Choi Woo-shik, Cho Yeo-jeong, and Song Kang-ho deliver award-worthy performances, endowing to the story tangible, three-dimensional characters that, in incompetent hands, would come out as hollow caricatures. Bong Joon-Ho’s pictures are described as many things at once: black comedies, social commentaries, genre-crossing post-apocalyptic adventures. Owning every inch of them, “Parasite” spices the mix up with deeper, timely metaphors— make no mistake, peaches and basements are not going to be the same; — however, the film owes it to two crucial aspects: visual language and edition. Camera movements, blocking and visual composition are masterfully managed by the director and his crew. It could have been a silent film, and still it would speak volumes. Cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo executes his vision with perverse precision and voyeuristic delight, grabbing class divide by the throat. What could have ended up as a mere style exercise between the shady lighting from the semi-basement and the luxury LED lighting of the main mansion, it is now the perfect visual cocktail: sophistication and softness, luxury and poverty, ups and downs, dark and light, hungry beasts in empty spaces. “Gisaengchung” by Bong Joon-Ho is the crowning achievement of the decade. Many critics have healed it as “the picture of the year” and, even if it is tout à fait true, “Parasite” transcends the boundaries of society-headed, industry-transforming films; say Jordan Peele’s ambitious allegory “Us” reimagined through the lens and voices of Shakespeare, Hitchcock and Kim Ki-young, and still you are nowhere near to it. Many talented, socially-aware filmmakers and their equally committed crews have paved the way through the years; now Bong Joon-Ho, in total command of his craft, has made it: “Parasite” is a groundbreaking work of art.
avr50Jan 15, 2020
Parasite is the kind of movie that needs to be seen by everyone. This film is funny, is suspenseful, is a satire, it has everything. Bong Joon Ho has created a complete masterpiece fill with amazing performances, great cinematography,Parasite is the kind of movie that needs to be seen by everyone. This film is funny, is suspenseful, is a satire, it has everything. Bong Joon Ho has created a complete masterpiece fill with amazing performances, great cinematography, excellent music and a screenplay that will be studied for years to come. Expand
silverlusoOct 28, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quite literally one of the greatest movies of all time. Likely to stand with Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Shawshank Redemption in terms of quality and importance, however to read a review before watching the movie is a disservice to both yourself and the movie, and I implore you to see the movie first, before reading any other potential spoiler filled review. Expand
TaywinDec 14, 2019
This movie forces me to make this review. It's a masterpiece, watch it, you will never forget it.
GerryBlueFeb 13, 2020
As one other reviewer said, all the accolades have to do more with the idea other than the actual movie. TEchnically it is very well crafted, great cinematography, great acting, but personally I think overhyped. In a day an age whereAs one other reviewer said, all the accolades have to do more with the idea other than the actual movie. TEchnically it is very well crafted, great cinematography, great acting, but personally I think overhyped. In a day an age where everything is political and has to do with social issues, a movie that very blatantly shows the disparages between rich and poor, (a little bit too stereotipically, I might add) is bound to get great reviews. Actors and their 200k bags of face creams like to feel they are connected to the poor massess, and social justice folk of Twitter feel they have been done jsutice, even if only for two hours on a theater. Hollywood wants to be that White Knight, and last year it paraded in their red carpet Mexican Native Yalitzia Aparicio, this year it was the Korean actors, I'll bet next year it will be another troupé. Like the rich family in the movie, minorities and other cultures are nothing but parasites to Hollywood, useful and good while they serve their purpose, stink bugs that have to be fumigated when they don't. Watch the movie for yourself and make your own mind, I don't think it is the 10 everybody is saying but its political message has provided the fuel to skyrocket it. Beware though, last 10 minutes are quite gross and gory. Expand
PanchogulDec 15, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mi punto de vista e impresiones:

Una sátira sobre las clases sociales que en definitiva no dejará indiferente a nadie.

Es difícil encasillar a esta película en un género porque realmente tiene de todo.

Leí excelentes críticas que la calificaban como una de las mejores películas del año y de la década y ahora que acabo de verla, es completamente cierto, en mi opinión tiene todos los méritos para ubicarse en el primer puesto de la mejor película del año, disculpando a Joker y a Midsommar que hasta el momento compartían el primer puesto, pero me tomaré el atrevimiento de ubicarlas a ambas en el segundo lugar y a Parasite no hay nada que la saque del primer puesto y saben el por qué? La trama es interesante, los personajes son fabulosos y muy ingeniosos, el ritmo es atraparte y el guión y dirección son absolutamente increíbles, ambos son sumamente inteligentes, mordaces y por sobre todo sublimes, estoy realmente fascinado por la película que acabo de ver, se las recomiendo a todo dar.

Sobra decir que le doy 5 ⭐ de 5 ⭐
HipsterDufusDec 10, 2019
I actually think this may be the best movie I've seen this year. Very well done, its funny, dark, emotional, intriguing and definitely will keep you on your toes for what happens next which is very unpredictable. A very good story line andI actually think this may be the best movie I've seen this year. Very well done, its funny, dark, emotional, intriguing and definitely will keep you on your toes for what happens next which is very unpredictable. A very good story line and well directed. Bravo! Expand
nayecriticFeb 17, 2020
oh, wow. .
SrPepeJan 23, 2020
De las mejores películas de 2019, si bien empieza medio lento, se crea un nudo sensacional y cierra en un final muy pero muy memorable. Los actores son todos brillantes, no hay uno que haga mal su trabajo.
miccaelMay 26, 2020
One of the best shot movies I have seen. Story is crazy too! Worth a second watch. Movie has interesting ideas, cant think of any negatives, I would love to see after credit scenes with 1 character (Min).
mitokioDec 17, 2019
Not a fan of the director (I loathed Snowpiercer) and movies with this must critical acclaim usually suck. But by far the movie of the year. In tone, in terms of black humor/crime/thriller it "feels" like the same world as Joker. AmazingNot a fan of the director (I loathed Snowpiercer) and movies with this must critical acclaim usually suck. But by far the movie of the year. In tone, in terms of black humor/crime/thriller it "feels" like the same world as Joker. Amazing visuals and lots of interesting layers to sift through. I think you can watch it just as a movie and enjoy it. It's not supposed to be realistic, but stylized, so go in knowing that. But pay attention and this movie is deeply rewarding. The disgust the rich people have for what was found in the car and how they use it in role play later on... the father telling his son that planning life doesn't work and then the ending... the subtle and clever aspects of the class struggle and how the house plays into it. So many layers if you want to look for it. This is an astonishing piece of well crafted fiction. Expand
silverXXwolfApr 18, 2020
Yes, Parasite was well crafted and uniquely entertaining; but an earth-shattering masterpiece? Come on. It was a comically cliche portrayal of class division served up with a big, heaping scoop of shock-value. I enjoyed the ride, but it’sYes, Parasite was well crafted and uniquely entertaining; but an earth-shattering masterpiece? Come on. It was a comically cliche portrayal of class division served up with a big, heaping scoop of shock-value. I enjoyed the ride, but it’s not the magnum opus it’s billed to be. Expand
JoshuaKlinkAug 23, 2020
Just when you think you know where the film is about to go, Bong takes you to a completely unforeseen place!

This thriller can never give you any less of what you expect; it is so perfectly directed and shot, so perfectly written and so perfectly played out that, as a critic, you'd be hard pressed to find fault, and as a movie lover, it is just too enthralling for you to look away - or maybe the end would have you out of your seat, bottom line is, you really don't know what to expect!

This is so refreshing!
BandicootFeb 13, 2020
Filme muito bom, ganhou o oscar não foi por acaso, com personagens muito bem desenvolvidos e com uma historia muito bem escrita com diversas metáforas e reviravoltas no ponto certo, acredito que os pontos positivos qualquer um consegue acharFilme muito bom, ganhou o oscar não foi por acaso, com personagens muito bem desenvolvidos e com uma historia muito bem escrita com diversas metáforas e reviravoltas no ponto certo, acredito que os pontos positivos qualquer um consegue achar em tudo, mas falar dos pontos negativos é um pouco mais difícil, na minha concepção pelo fato de ser um filme coreano e não estarmos tao familiarizados com a interpretação deles, em muitos momentos parecia muito forçado algumas interpretações de forma que o filme parecesse muito mais cômico do que deveria, isso pelo fato das mensagem do filme ser clara (apesar de muitos culparem um lado ou outro, ideia errado ja que ambos os lados são culpados por suas atitudes), outro ponto negativo ao meu ver é o final que se estendeu de uma forma desnecessária ao ponto de deixar as coisas ainda mais confusas, e por fim outro ponto negativo e talvez o mais importante foi que na primeira metade do filme tudo pareceu muito previsível, todavia vale ressaltar que a segunda metade tomou um caminho completamente diferente causando a todo minuto duvidas do que aconteceria em seguida Expand
DeanomiteJan 13, 2020
The reputation this has developed as movie of the year is well earned, it is beautifully photographed, perfectly acted and scripted. There is not much else to add, i bet there is an american remake on the way, it will win best picture.
sebascamposJul 24, 2020
Do we all agree that this film receive h*te, because is a foreign film right, I'll never get it, but many countries have to watch film with subtitles, u ain't that special? But talking about the film, is such a masterpiece, from the plot toDo we all agree that this film receive h*te, because is a foreign film right, I'll never get it, but many countries have to watch film with subtitles, u ain't that special? But talking about the film, is such a masterpiece, from the plot to the final part, everything is so perfect that deserves being called the best film from this decade. Expand
DubeauFeb 21, 2020
Parasite is hard to qualify. The story is related to class of citizens. The movie is kind of dark funny and somewhat insidious. I felt it was too slow in the middle. The actors are excellent. The photography and filming is well done, with aParasite is hard to qualify. The story is related to class of citizens. The movie is kind of dark funny and somewhat insidious. I felt it was too slow in the middle. The actors are excellent. The photography and filming is well done, with a lot of nice angles. I give it 85%. This is a movie that can be in the corner of your mind for a while. Expand
whoischarlotteJun 1, 2020
I can’t get over it, such flawless filmmaking. The suspense killed me. A perfect balance of thrills, humour and complexity.
freeKade1kaFeb 12, 2020
Best in 2019, i don't thought korean movies could impress me so much, ending is awesome
JokohamaJan 19, 2020
Such incredible thriller with attractive flow of story. This is a must-see movie of 2019.
KuggzFeb 13, 2020
This movie covers all the film genres as well as all the themes of our lives it is truly amazing although I could see it going over the heads of closed minded people.
d0vla11Feb 19, 2020
Definitely deserved Best Picture award. The movie features incredible cast and screenplay. It has delivered in almost all fields of filmmaking.

However, even that i understood the film's message, i feel the plot could have been done even better. I had higher expectations from it.

Watch it anyway! :)
SoulWarfareFeb 23, 2020
I don't know what to say about this film apart from how this film is masterful film making. I don't even want to give a synopsis for this film as this film is best experienced with no knowledge whatsoever.

The plot is amazing and extremely

The plot is amazing and extremely gripping with every twist and turn. Likewise, the way it tackles the social themes is so intriguing and done so extremely well even if the theme has been done many times before. The entire cast is amazing and honestly not even one of them getting a nomination for best acting is quite the robbery. Huge praise to Song Kang-ho and Park So-dam especially, they gave amazing performances. The cinematography/set design is also impressive and uniquely correlates with the ongoing story. The use of staircase and lines to tackle the ongoing theme, while not subtle, is done extremely well. The soundtrack, while not exactly memorable, manages to elevate the tense atmosphere and keep people on the edge of their seats. Finally, the film is absolutely entertaining with the way it incorporates contrasting genres, black comedy and thriller, into one surprisingly cohesive and exhilarating movie. THIS IS A MUST WATCH! It deserves best picture for a reason.
LegitSaltMay 8, 2020
Parasite is an extremely potent movie with an incredible amount to say. Despite having been out for several months, I feel that many of the film’s true intentions won’t be realized for some time. The film is, as it openly admits, “extremelyParasite is an extremely potent movie with an incredible amount to say. Despite having been out for several months, I feel that many of the film’s true intentions won’t be realized for some time. The film is, as it openly admits, “extremely metaphorical”, almost every decision feeling well-meant and multi-layered. Many people have stated their interpretations of the work, and I feel most of them are missing the point. Parasite is a satire, yet many people seem to be taking it at face value. In an interview, Bong stated that calling lower-class individuals, people who have no feasible means of class mobility, parasites is missing the point; it is the upper class who saps off the lower class via class warfare and exploitation who are the real parasites. In this way and many more, Parasite likely doesn’t affirm the viewer’s world view, it may seem to do so, but this misconception is illustrative of the divide between reality and perception. Parasite, even if watched as an ideologically vacant film is still incredibly deep, with well-placed reincorporation and a constantly evolving plot. Despite its dark undertones and periodically graphicly violent scenes, Parasite remains to be intensely funny, a humour derived from the absurdist reality of the film’s world and premise. Expand
eded9999Dec 30, 2019
Very good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
XV_Jan 14, 2020
I can't recommend enough this movie to anybody, it has amazing rhythm and editing that it makes it look like it is easy. The plot slowly but surely unveils and it gives you enough clues for you to uncover a lot of its themes beforehand, notI can't recommend enough this movie to anybody, it has amazing rhythm and editing that it makes it look like it is easy. The plot slowly but surely unveils and it gives you enough clues for you to uncover a lot of its themes beforehand, not that is predictable mind you, but is not unfair or cheap, so several views are recommended.

I don't want to speak a lot of the plot so I won't spoil anything, but is not only an extremely well done and entertaining movie, it also serves as an actual social commentary about the poor and the wealth, it is also so well written that it doesn't tell you a moral, it makes you question yours. Please see it with an open mind and make your own conclusions.
mepnrcFeb 14, 2020
Kesinlikle harika bir film. Günümüzün sosyal değerlerine ve sınıf ayrımcılığının ne kadar itici bir şey olduğuna çok güzel dokundurmalar yapan şahane bir yapıt. Komedi, dram ve suç ancak bu kadar iyi harmanlanabilirdi.
Bertaut1Feb 20, 2020
An uncategorisable masterpiece

An uncategorisable masterpiece

What is one to make of the utterly uncategorisable and impossible-to-define Parasite? Part comedy of manners, part social satire, part heist film, part thriller, part horror, part family drama, part farce, part economic treatise, part social realism, part tragedy, part allegory. What is certain is that it's exceptional in just about every way – screenplay (co-written by director Bong Joon-ho and Han Jin-won), directing, cinematography, mise en scène, editing, production design, sound design, score, acting. There's not a weak link here, in a film that achieves that rarest of things – it lives up to the hype.

The Kim family are down on their luck. Father Ki-taek (Song Kang-ho), mother Chung-sook (Chang Hyae-jin), daughter Ki-jeong (Park So-dam), and son Ki-woo (Choi Woo-shik) reside in a tiny basement apartment eking out a meagre living folding pizza boxes. However, their fortunes change when Ki-Woo bluffs his way into working as an English tutor for the daughter of the wealthy Park family. Father Dong-ik, (Lee Sun-kyun), mother Yeon-gyo (Cho Yeo-jeong), daughter Da-hye (Jung Ji-so), and son Da-song (Jung Hyeon-jun) welcome Ki-woo into their home, and upon discovering just how wealthy the Parks are, the Kims hatch an elaborate scheme to oust the Park's current domestic staff and take their places. However, it doesn't take long before things start to go very, very awry for both families.

As thoroughly entertaining (and funny) as Parasite is, it remains an economic treatise, albeit with a savagely satirical quality. This is far from the first time Bong has dealt with issues of class, but never before has he been this caustic and acerbic, but so too compassionate and witty. One of the most deftly-handled elements of the film is his avoidance of the clichés one so often finds in films dealing with economics – the Kims are by no means a victimised family immediately worthy of sympathy, whilst the Parks are by no means a callous family immediately worthy of scorn. Rather, the Parks are depicted as perfectly friendly and pleasant whilst the Kims are shown to be liars and scoundrels.

Bong is uninterested in trucking in heroes and villains because such rigid diametrics aren't the norm in the real world. For all their scheming and lying, the Kims merely con their way into menial jobs, whilst the Parks' greatest crime is allowing their wealth to insulate them from the world of families such as the Kims. At the same time, the Kims are depicted as a far more loving family than the Parks. Although all four Kims often occupy the same frame, we never see the four Parks together in the same shot. Important here is the title. A simple reading is that the Kims are the parasites and the Parks are the hosts, with the Kims feeding off the Parks' wealth and status. However, Bong depicts the Parks as parasitic as well, feeding off of the labour of their servants. Just as the Kims feed off the Parks, the Parks feed off the Kims, in what is a symbiotic relationship.

Aesthetically, Hong Kyung-pyo's cinematography is magnificent. Hong also shot the superb Beoning (2018), and the camerawork here has a similar smoothness and restlessness, gliding through the Parks' house like it's a fifth member of the Kim family. Lee Ha-jun's production design is also praise-worthy, with the Kims' cluttered and dilapidated apartment contrasted with the Parks' pristine post-modernist semi-open plan house.

It's also in relation to production design wherein one of the film's best metaphors is to be found. As a story at least partly in the tradition of the "upstairs/downstairs" subgenre, Bong literalises the separation between those above and those below by using stairways as a recurring motif. The Kims' apartment has no stairs, indicating their inability to rise socio-economically. On the other hand, the Parks' home has two stairways – one going up to the bedrooms where the four children spend an increasing amount of time, cut off from their parents, and one going down into the cellar. Bong shoots this stairway like he's suddenly directing a horror film, bestowing upon it an ominousness that, at first, makes little sense, but ultimately reveals itself to be a spectacular bit of foreshadowing.

Parasite is a masterpiece, with Bong never putting a foot wrong. It could have been a self-serving and didactic message-movie – a homily to the honour of the poor or a deconstruction of the unhappiness of the rich – but Bong is far too talented for that, avoiding rhetorical cant. Quite unlike anything I've ever seen, it works as allegory just as well as it works as social realism just as well as it works as comedy just as well as it works as tragedy and so on. This is cinema as art, a film which has proven itself very much a game-changer and completely deserving of every bit of praise it's received.