| Release Date: May 17, 2019
tbd
No score yet
Watch Now
thouzeOct 25, 2019
By design, I should like this movie, maybe even love it. I loved the surrealness and heavy sci-fi themes in films like Annihilation, Ex Machina and even Arrival. But somehow, Perfect left me so cold narratively that I don't know if the filmBy design, I should like this movie, maybe even love it. I loved the surrealness and heavy sci-fi themes in films like Annihilation, Ex Machina and even Arrival. But somehow, Perfect left me so cold narratively that I don't know if the film itself built up to anything at all.

The cinematography and score by Flying Lotus are breathtaking and truly utilize some of the strangely disturbing elements on the screen. It's almost like the filmmakers actively try to ignore the rampant misogyny of women on screen who are either sexualized or beaten constantly. The film leaves out too many details for the plot to make any sense. Instead, the film tries to show every distorted design throughout the movie which ruins the pacing since something is always happening or flying around the screen outside of an extended period near the end that leads the biggest head-scratcher of the entire movie.

Maybe I would like Perfect so much more if there was no narration and if the characters never uddered a single word or maybe not. It wants to match 2001: A Space Odyssey's ambition but doesn't want to take the time to build the tension. All I know now is Perfect is far from its name.