RKO Radio Pictures | Release Date: February 23, 1940
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 56 Ratings
Watch Now
UncleWillardMar 12, 2019
Classic Disney at its finest. Not my favorite Disney movie (reserved for Fantasia), but it's a close second. The animation is lush and the story is charming. It's a wild adventure about what it means to be human and be loved. What more couldClassic Disney at its finest. Not my favorite Disney movie (reserved for Fantasia), but it's a close second. The animation is lush and the story is charming. It's a wild adventure about what it means to be human and be loved. What more could you ask for? I've heard the source material is much darker, but I choose this Pinnocchio. Expand
kpmeadeDec 21, 2018
okay young Disney even though this bombed this is an improvement its funny and dark but also the problem is that the ending fells a bit to fast paced
AzoulielMar 3, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disney's second venture into the world of animated features is unfortunately not only rocky, but also flawed with a poor act structure. Pinocchio is written to either be clever when he has to, or dumb when he has to, which then dictates where the story goes. He never has any character growth and the reward in the end thusly doesn't feel earned. Jiminy while funny and a great character overall, doesn't do anything to further the plot. He's more along for the ride than anything, despite him having been tasked with being Pinocchio's "Conscience". His reward in the end is also, not well earned. Several characters and plot lines go nowhere, and the overall story feels more like a verb game than anything.

But this movie is not without it's good sides. It has overall excellent animation and the movie has a thoroughly dark theme that I quite enjoyed. It might have gone overboard several times, but it never feels too dark. I would recommend it if you're interested in seeing some of Disney's roots or if you're up for a dark movie, but if not you're probably better off watching something else. "When you wish upon a star" is a classic that will always remain in my heart
timoneApr 30, 2019
So after I reviewed Snow White a huge box office success, Pinocchio is the magical one. Why? Because when you wish upon a star, your dreams do come true. The song that Jiminy Cricket sings is absolutely beautiful. The characters areSo after I reviewed Snow White a huge box office success, Pinocchio is the magical one. Why? Because when you wish upon a star, your dreams do come true. The song that Jiminy Cricket sings is absolutely beautiful. The characters are memorable, the songs are wonderful especially When you wish upon a star and am I the only who didn't think that this is one of Disney's darkest films? I mean, there are scenes that scared the kids like the kids turned into donkeys and sent to the mining shafts and... they never come back..... as BOYS!
The whale scene is fantastic. The chase scene is so thrilling and classy especially the death of Pinocchio is kinda sad and the blue fairy brings him back to life. Once again as I said it before, everybody is filled with joy. It is one of Walt Disney's masterpiece! And it's a must-see for people who haven't seen it but what can I say? They did! It's a movie to watch for anyone who's ever wished upon star.
YunusKatMar 25, 2019
Like all other Disney movies, this one really showcased their ability to animate with their drawings. Its story is compelling and some scenes are even disturbing in the end. But if you want to see the true power of hand-drawn animation thisLike all other Disney movies, this one really showcased their ability to animate with their drawings. Its story is compelling and some scenes are even disturbing in the end. But if you want to see the true power of hand-drawn animation this one hits the spot. Expand
BrunoVn00Jun 8, 2019
People that say that this is the greatest animated movie ever made or Disney's best movie aren't exaggerating, this is truly an animated masterpiece, a true work of art. The animation is fantastic even today, with outstanding characterPeople that say that this is the greatest animated movie ever made or Disney's best movie aren't exaggerating, this is truly an animated masterpiece, a true work of art. The animation is fantastic even today, with outstanding character animation and a really great example of how to do it right like most Disney movies, and the story, while it's obviously not original because it's based on an already existent children's story it's truly heartwarming and dark at times, with a great moral lesson both kids and adults can get something from. It captures the naiveness or innocence of a child and how important is for them and all of us to listen to our conciousness.

Besides the obvious dated audio quality, this movie still holds up very well from the animation to the writing, it's a movie that can still be considered a masterpiece of animation even in a thousand years more.

Instead of showing stupid kids movies like Minions or any Illumination movie to your kids, show them movies like this, movies that have tons of effort put into making a movie that all ages can get something from other than entertainment.