Alamode Film | Release Date: December 6, 2019
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 95 Ratings
Watch Now
swingFeb 18, 2020
A period piece in French with subtitles. Beautifully acted. Beautifully shot on location off the north coast of France I think. There is little or no action. The dialogue is there, but it's minimal and subdued. The story is solely about theA period piece in French with subtitles. Beautifully acted. Beautifully shot on location off the north coast of France I think. There is little or no action. The dialogue is there, but it's minimal and subdued. The story is solely about the attraction of two young women, one who is commissioned to paint the portrait of the other. There is no music to set the mood, except at the very end. The tension is soley by the looks of the two women and their minimal dialogue. It was beautiful, but it didn't move me or create emotion in me. Maybe I couldn't fully appreciate it as a male, but that's how I felt. Expand
KukurioFeb 21, 2020
"The director probably had kids and was married when she realized she was a lesbian and was like... Oh, I must make this film!" - My GF.

This movie is 5/5 if you enjoy movies with minimal story and long shots of peoples faces. The close-up shots of her painting were nice but did get a bit much for me at times.

Some very beautiful shots & imagery in this movie. I loved the opening on the boat, gave a sense of raw realism. There were some moments I enjoyed for sure... but they were too far and few between.

Hearing the audience giggle at certain points showed the company I was in.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this movie... but it didn't click hard with me. Not enough substance for the art. Lots of long shots with no music or dialogue. I felt relaxed during the movie ... but shots of her walking around an empty dark building slowly with a candle can only hold my attention for so long.

"Oh my God, like...Being gay back then for women must have been SOoooo Harrrrrd. I get it. I UNDERSTAND THE STRUGGLE." - What people think after watching this imagined by my gf.. lol