Raw

7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 172 Ratings
Watch Now
WhiskeyStoriesJan 7, 2018
Raw is surprisingly clever and exhilarating, a wonderfully twisted take on the classic coming of age story. It's disturbing and grotesque (as French horrors ought to be), but at times is at odds with balancing its sophisticated elegant styleRaw is surprisingly clever and exhilarating, a wonderfully twisted take on the classic coming of age story. It's disturbing and grotesque (as French horrors ought to be), but at times is at odds with balancing its sophisticated elegant style and trashy grisliness. Reminded me of Refn's The Neon Demon a bit, loved it almost as much as well. Expand
SpangleSep 19, 2017
Perhaps no viewing experience is as jarring and visceral as the one when watching Raw. A French-Belgian co-production directed by Julia Ducournou, Raw is a deeply European work with a slow pace, lots of ecstasy, open sexuality, and a lack ofPerhaps no viewing experience is as jarring and visceral as the one when watching Raw. A French-Belgian co-production directed by Julia Ducournou, Raw is a deeply European work with a slow pace, lots of ecstasy, open sexuality, and a lack of fear in showing shocking violence. A smart look at growing up, finding what makes you happy (perversely enough), and familial strife, Raw is a film that shocks, stuns, and leaves you somehow dying of laughter once it all ends. Above all, it is a film with so many occurrences that make you look away that it becomes hard to even say you saw the film. For about 70% of this film, watching the film through your hands or just flat out looking away is to be expected. Even then, however, Raw is a film that may try a little too hard to shock and stun its audience, but nonetheless, it is one that works with chilling effect.

Heading into the weirdest veterinary school ever, Justine (Garance Marillier) must embark upon a hazing ritual that includes having her room destroyed to get her to go to a party, being forced to eat raw rabbit kidney, being forced to have sex with some random guy while covered in paint, having blood dumped on her, and more, this hazing ritual is one that is beyond eccentric. Yet, it signals the beginning of her journey to self-discovery. A theme that is wrapped up at the end as she is urged to find what works for her, what will be her "solution". In essence, what will make her happy and feel satisfied in life. College is very much this place to discover this and if the school, the people, or the hostile environment surrounding her (even the professors hate her) and her cannibalism (a hyperbole for being different and sticking out) are not what she wants or one she feels happy existing in being a part of in her life. Finding people who accept her, embrace her differences, and celebrate those differences, is what Justine must find and her father hopes she will find. The only catch is that she is a cannibal. Otherwise, this is very much a film about a young girl trying to find out who she is and often being shocked about what comes out.

Often as a result of this journey of self-discovery, Justine often finds herself in direct conflict with her sister Alexia (Ella Rumpf). Rarely talking in the beginning except when Alexia forces Justine to eat the raw rabbit kidney, the two are shown as being siblings who did not really keep in touch when the elder Alexia started at the veterinary school prior to Justine's arrival. Now that she is there as well, however, Alexia wants to ensure that Justine has the right experience. Taking her under wing, partying, giving her a dress to meet requirements for parties, and showing her the tricks of Brazilian waxing, Alexia is often a rather good sister. Yet, as she hangs out and texts with Justine's gay roommate Adrien (Rabah Nait Oufella), we see the jealousy and rage come out in both of them. Intensely jealous, warning her off of Adrien, eating her finger (wtf), being mocked by Alexia with a cadaver, fighting her in public, and then waking up to a surprise left behind by Alexia, the two of them seem to be in constant competition with one another. A light moment of the two of them trying to pee standing up is even marked with the obvious battle going on between the two. It is a sibling rivalry at its finest and one that often defines this film and Justine's experience at veterinary school. Yet, as with any story of siblings, there are tender moments between the two that show the bond between these sisters. As a result, the film uses this absurd tale of the two young cannibals coming to terms with what they are and finding themselves as a way to explore the unspoken bond between sisters. Though they may be fighting and constantly in competition with one another, even unknowingly with parents or peeing standing up, there is a connection between the two that, when one needs the other, will always take precedence.

Incredibly brutal with violence, Raw - until the end - often handles violence very matter-of-fact. As they perform autopsies on animals or reach their hands in a cow's anus, the veterinarian students seem unbothered by what is occurring and the film exudes the same demeanor. Honestly, it may make this film all the more horrifying as it is positioned as being so normal and typical, with no pomp or circumstance surrounding each introduction of violence. The only time the film stalls a bit to let the impact build up comes in the climactic sequence and in the film's final act, both of which deliver a punch. Nonetheless, in this practically casual violence, Raw finds great horror. It makes it seem so natural to eat a man's bleeding head after a car crash or to bite your sibling in a fight and taste their blood. It is sick, twisted, and deeply unsettling, yet is presented in the same way as a coming-of-age story in which a character discovers a love of music. This disconnect is often what makes Raw so jarring
BrianMcCriticDec 30, 2017
All in all not usually my type of film but the dirty gritty feeling that the film presents gets under your skin and it's hard to get out. Definitely a film I'll be thinking about for a while. B+
iCronicAug 7, 2017
This film is like eating 20 Center Shocks at once because your facial expression is the exact same. My second favorite film of 2017 after Logan
alejandro970Oct 15, 2017
One of best choices of horror genre in 2017. The result is not as visceral as it looks but has enough for impress the viewer. You will not taste beef or pork the same way after watching.
Orli_AguilarJun 5, 2017
Una niña descubre que tiene deseos caníbales. El triunfo de esta película es la manera tan salvajemente entretenida y potente en que viene a hacer de esta peligrosa premisa una delicia de ver en pantalla, aderezada con tonos de humor negro yUna niña descubre que tiene deseos caníbales. El triunfo de esta película es la manera tan salvajemente entretenida y potente en que viene a hacer de esta peligrosa premisa una delicia de ver en pantalla, aderezada con tonos de humor negro y psicología del personaje que sólo pueden venir a aumentar la exquisitez de este sabroso cuento acerca de sucumbir a los deseos internos. Expand
nastolfiOct 6, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, first of all, I don't understand why anyone would give this movie ZERO stars. I mean, it's definitely not for everyone, but it's a movie about cannibalism, so how can you not expect it to be a little gross? I mean, the acting and film style warrant at least a few stars on their own, so even if you didn't like the content, it seems unfair to give it a zero!

That being said, I LOVED this movie. It just came out on Netflix and I watched it last night, and them immediately watched it again. Like some others, I had read that people had fainted during the screening, and I took it on as a personal challenge to see what the deal was. I was also a little disappointed that there was nothing that made me feel light-headed, but was really impressed with the movie as a whole.

I thought the acting and choice of music were spot-on, and I really believed the changes that Justine was going through. I loved/hated the part when she is throwing up the hair. I hated it because she was only shown in one brief scene chewing on the ends of her hair, due to nerves, and then in the next scene she is shown vomiting up a LOT of long strands of hair. Where did it come from? Wouldn't she have had some bald/thinned spots if all that hair was missing? And then it's not mentioned or shown again for the rest of the movie. That kind of bugged me. But I loved it because it looked so real. I felt like it was happening to me and at one point I actually put my hand in my mouth to pull the hair out lol. Other than that, I thought this was very well done. The pacing was perfect, the music was perfect, and the acting was great. I liked the plot and thought the sibling/coming of age themes were done well. The sister fight was pretty amazing as well. I'd definitely recommend this movie!
pugownerNov 5, 2017
At first glance, a horror movie about a vegetarian becoming addicted to flesh sounds like an easy thing to get wrong. Truthfully, if an American studio had made it, they probably would have. God bless the French for making an engaging,At first glance, a horror movie about a vegetarian becoming addicted to flesh sounds like an easy thing to get wrong. Truthfully, if an American studio had made it, they probably would have. God bless the French for making an engaging, disgusting, thoroughly enjoyable cannibal horror film. Easily one of the best horror films I think I've ever seen. Expand
ReginthornApr 6, 2017
Raw is my first foray into the cannibal horror sub-genre. I think Raw is as tasteful as the genre likely gets (if you pardon the cheap pun). An element which stands out the most, for me, is the mise-en-scene. People and objects are oftenRaw is my first foray into the cannibal horror sub-genre. I think Raw is as tasteful as the genre likely gets (if you pardon the cheap pun). An element which stands out the most, for me, is the mise-en-scene. People and objects are often placed incongruently with one another. As a result, viewers immediately sense conflict by the placement of a given scene’s composition. Lighting and colors are often muted, but only as a means of removing possible tonal confusion. Colors are far from being oppressively dark. At this point, I find the setting worth mentioning. Raw’s stage is an idiosyncratic Veterinary school located in some unknown French countryside. The architecture in the film is sharp and foreboding. Conversely, the world outside maintains an organic look. For example, a colorful sunset evokes to viewers a sense of beauty in the natural. Calm cinematography is employed to capture all of these components. Director Julia Ducournau’s camera knows when to distance the viewer from actions. The distancing allows the viewer enough time to seep into the film’s unsettling hedonistic college atmosphere. However, when the emotional action picks up, the camera is almost myopic on the startling changes in the protagonist. Like Get Out, Raw parallels an idea within the conventional horror experience. The audience can perceive Raw as a film about a family of female cannibals. Yet, like all art films, the viewer robs himself by taking on a reductive viewpoint. In my understanding, Raw uses horror as a means of augmenting the process of self-discovery. In fact, the film goes to great lengths of illustrating a controlling family dynamic. The collapse of a familiar structure and sibling rivalry ignites the disturbing events to come. I won’t give plot spoilers here. Finally, I found the movie far from a nauseating watch. The film features more blood than it does gore. In other words, Raw is far removed from a cinematic experience akin to Cannibal Holocaust or the Green Inferno. If you aren’t sensitive, I HIGHLY suggest giving Raw a watch. Expand
LamontRaymondApr 15, 2017
Can't stop thinking about this movie, and I saw it about a month ago. Damn good, super artistic, and a lot of fun. Hope they consider it come awards season.
jdiazMar 12, 2017
VISCERAL (visceral) a. 1. Felt in or as if in the internal organs of the body.

2. Dealing with crude or elemental emotions. Merriam-Webster Dictionary Should I be worried with the fact that I liked this movie so much? As with any movie
VISCERAL (visceral) a. 1. Felt in or as if in the internal organs of the body.

2. Dealing with crude or elemental emotions.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Should I be worried with the fact that I liked this movie so much?

As with any movie that I rate 5 stars, absolutely nothing that you read here will do the movie justice.

This film was stunning. When I came into the theatre I had not seen the trailer for this movie and knew close to nothing about it. As soon as credits rolled I was shocked to my core and completely speechless. If I had to describe this movie in one sentence, as bad as it sounds, I would say it is unlike anything I have ever seen before. If I had to describe it with one word, I would say visceral.

Raw perfectly captures sibling relationships and adolescence. It has extraordinarily good musical choices both in the score and in the soundtrack. It also has the most shocking depiction of cannibalism I have seen in my entire life. As strange as it sounds, the scenes featuring cannibalism are oddly relatable. I can't really say why this film works, all I know is it does. It had several of those moments when you really want something to happen but you know it won't, and it doesn't. Except in this movie, it did. I felt my jaw drop at least five times. Finally, it has extremely funny moments that come out of nowhere and alleviate the dark nature. Wow!

Raw is also a special movie to me. Of all the movies I have rated 5 stars it is the only one that I would not recommend to everyone. It is extremely graphic and, some would say, disgusting. And I **** loved it.

This is Julia Ducourneau's first movie and I cannot wait until the next one.

Conclusion: If you have trouble seeing blood and gore, stay away from this. If not, eat it up like a raw human leg.
TheQuietGamerOct 23, 2017
College is an interesting time in the life of any young person. For many it's where people truly discover who they are, and usually not without some difficulty. That's what I found the heart of Raw to be. A coming of age story where a girlCollege is an interesting time in the life of any young person. For many it's where people truly discover who they are, and usually not without some difficulty. That's what I found the heart of Raw to be. A coming of age story where a girl must find out how to live for the first time upon awakening to her true self. However, her awakening isn't a sexual one like so many other films would have done. Sure, there are moments where she experiences the pangs of lust, but for the most part her desire for flesh is less carnal and more primal. Raw is a movie where the lead character discovers that she is in fact, a cannibal. Marvelously acted and impeccably written, Raw's depiction of the horrors and beauty of college life in spot-on. There's even a little bit of family dysfunction, sibling rivalry, and the struggle of being female. The movie is simply real in it's portraying of everyday life. You know, minus the cannibal angle. The darker side of the movie is grotesque, twisted, and maybe even a little disturbing. It brings the blood and gore, but doesn't go for shock value. It's remarkably mature where other movies have been excessive or even outright silly. Everything comes together masterfully. It may have a few moments of confusing and pretension that are so often present in the more artsy horror movies of it's ilk, but there's an approachability here that's not always seen in these kinds of films.

Raw is another example of just how great 2017 has been for the horror genre. It's smart, vulgar, and, well, RAW! An incredibly gripping and effective ride through the college experience and the insecurities that are forced on women by society. There's a little bit of everything here, and all of it is powerful. Raw is nothing less than a new classic in the horror genre. One that should be a must watch for hardcore enthusiasts. It may not appeal to more mainstream tastes, but there's little denying that it's an incredible film for the more discerning among us.
Meth-dudeMay 26, 2017
It had an interesting story, and the acting was generally good, but the movie is nowhere near as disgusting or shocking as what the critics said, it was filled with clichés and bad characters and it was boring. None of the characters ever didIt had an interesting story, and the acting was generally good, but the movie is nowhere near as disgusting or shocking as what the critics said, it was filled with clichés and bad characters and it was boring. None of the characters ever did anything intelligent throughout the whole movie, it was very frustrating. It isn't a particularly bad movie, it's just not very good. Expand
GeminesesApr 18, 2017
I liked the intention behind the gore/horror, leaving aside the cannibalism, what the director tried to express was the awakening of puberty, nice soundtrack
Parawhor3May 2, 2017
(82/100)Great film, with a justifiably bloody history, manages to keep you in suspense and trying to come up with what will happen next. This film manages to show perfectly how the psychology of the character is transformed at the point where(82/100)Great film, with a justifiably bloody history, manages to keep you in suspense and trying to come up with what will happen next. This film manages to show perfectly how the psychology of the character is transformed at the point where she realize that she’s doing involuntary acts that morally can be frowned upon. The musical accompaniment is almost perfect because it manages to get a good feel for the most dramatic moments in this film. There are some times when the use of blood and violence become a little too much, without making much sense, but there is no time in this movie that does not keep you shocked and nervous. Expand
CanyonsGamingMar 16, 2017
absolutely terrible. I was bored out of my mind for the whole movie. It's just trying to shock viewers to get attention. If I could I would give this film a -1.
beetApr 2, 2017
One of the best movies I have ever seen. This film is so unique, intense, funny, shocking, and metaphorical it will grab you by the _____ (as our president likes to say) and not let go until the end. The atmosphere swings wildly back andOne of the best movies I have ever seen. This film is so unique, intense, funny, shocking, and metaphorical it will grab you by the _____ (as our president likes to say) and not let go until the end. The atmosphere swings wildly back and forth but is always appropriate to the mood, there is a chilling starkness and sense of foreboding to it all. Many scenes stand out as clever, funny and memorable. The main actress, Garance Millier, puts in an award winning performance, and all of the supporting cast does a great job as well. The film has multiple layers, and you should see it at least twice to get everything. Expand
MarioVisionMay 3, 2017
I only wasted my money to see this stupid movie on the cinema...
Pure disappointment & let down..
Can't believe that it was the same movie that was hyped so much by the critics.. Overall it was pretty boring film & even the gory scenes
I only wasted my money to see this stupid movie on the cinema...
Pure disappointment & let down..
Overall it was pretty boring film & even the gory scenes weren't shocking..
Just disgusting & gross really..
The acting might was solid descent but that factor simply couldn't save it for me..
To me it seems that they made this movie so to try & shock us with pretentious gimmics..
It is NOT a horror movie..More like a heavy twisted drama..
I truly regret the wasted money that i paid to watch this lame movie..
Its only worth to watch this movie on tv
& only if you don't have anything else to do with your time..
6/10 for the acting (The only worthy factor on the movie)
2/10 for the plot
2/10 for how boring it was mostly
1/10 for the pretentious gimmics
0/10 for advertising it as a horror gory movie when its neither..
kingofjerseyMar 13, 2017
stupid, psuedointellectual movie. your gonna like it if you like real steel. go watch La La Land or Moana or something stop wasting your time. batman vs superman is probably worse than this movie. It's a 6 because it was boring but it's okaystupid, psuedointellectual movie. your gonna like it if you like real steel. go watch La La Land or Moana or something stop wasting your time. batman vs superman is probably worse than this movie. It's a 6 because it was boring but it's okay i guess. Expand
XMen42Mar 16, 2017
What can I say about this film. It's another one of those awful films that the critics love and only a few members of the public actually enjoy it. It's ridiculously gory and violent and I would recommend everyone to stay away from thisWhat can I say about this film. It's another one of those awful films that the critics love and only a few members of the public actually enjoy it. It's ridiculously gory and violent and I would recommend everyone to stay away from this disgusting movie. Expand
Jezzer1801Mar 16, 2017
An absolutely disgusting, sickening film. If you are going to go to the cinema to watch this trash bring at least 3 sick bags! A ridiculous film with so much unnecessary violence.
TVJerryApr 3, 2017
A young vegetarian starts her first year at veterinary school, where part of the hazing ritual is to eat raw meat. She develops a taste for it that takes her to dreadful extremes. Since it's a vet college, expect graphic animal scenes andA young vegetarian starts her first year at veterinary school, where part of the hazing ritual is to eat raw meat. She develops a taste for it that takes her to dreadful extremes. Since it's a vet college, expect graphic animal scenes and plenty of blood…and that's before she starts her flesh feast. The woman's gradual discovery about her new need unfolds with creepy revelations, but it's never repulsive…more intriguing, as she develops her sense of empowerment and her taste for meat. Overall, a bit slow and never suspenseful, but still an interesting take on the genre. (French with subtitles) Expand
LeZeeFeb 4, 2018
An extreme desire for blood and flesh!

An extreme desire for blood and flesh!

Totally unexpected. I had no idea what I'm about to watch. Because usually I do small research of films I watch before the click play. I did not know it was even a French film or a horror. But it was not actually a horror in a sense. Seeing the initial set up, I thought it would be about a freshman medical student. Then things turned out strangely. Like it was decades ago when I was young, I have felt uncomfortable for those intentional film. For this, it felt all real. As the contents, I disliked them. But the film succeeded if that's what it's intended to give to its audience.

It lived up to what the title meant. But on the other hand, I thought it was making fun of vegetarians. You usually won't find many vegetarians in Europe, but this film's topic was bizarre. Because you know someone who has never consumed meat in his entire life, but then when he begins this new habit, it is like completely going out of control. It's not just one, but two from the same family. Something was very clear, that one not knowing the differences. Because they were never before used to it.

Justine is all set to join her sister to practice to be a veterinarian. Coming from a pure vegetarian family, she has to go through some of college traditions. From the beginning itself, it did not go well for her. It affected her health and body. A drastic change in a short period of time, forcing her to uncontrollable desire. Then on one accidental situation, it turns even worst. Ultimately, a conflict between the sisters arise. It takes them to unexpected paths and finally how it all ends were revealed with many uneasy events.

-xX] An animal that has tasted human flesh isn't safe. [Xx-

I have seen many films like this, but this one was a stand-alone from all of them. I'm not saying it is a masterpiece, but they have got all things right just as they wanted. Obviously this is for grownups, though not all of them can watch without feeling disgust. Some of article, reviews says, people left the cinema hall halfway through. A very challenging film to watch. You might think I'm exaggerating for a simple cinematic performance, but that's what I really experienced. Only when you give it a try, you might get it.

A bit confusing as the story progressing. Like what kind of universe, it is set in. Because whatever happens around Justine, seems nobody caring. Where were the professors! So many doubts. It's just what it is. An imaginative perspective, what if kind of situation turned more uglier. But if you analyse it properly, the only issue was the cannibalism. Not that one showing a desire in consuming meat all of sudden. So, I appreciate the writing, direction and performances, but definitely it is not my cup of tea. Probably for most of you as well.

So this is not for all, but selected viewers. Films can be anything, only we have to assert whether we liked it or not. The maker knew what they were doing, the kind of subject they have undertaken for their film. Often a film like this hits the screen, and makes some noise among the film critics and film goers. I don't know on what merit one should decide to watch it. Because it is not for entertainment, nor an art, nor a message film. But I still think it is worth a watch. Just be aware of what you are going to watch.

GabMegaJun 27, 2017
Recordare siempre esta pelicula, no por su mensaje principal, si no que me hizo reir con la mayoria de sus escenas. Recordare siempre esta pelicula, no por su mensaje principal, si no que me hizo reir con la mayoria de sus escenas.
fairbrotherMay 15, 2017
A female coming-of-age story ala David Cronenberg, where opaque psychology finds expression in the ghastliest, and often ghoulishly funny, bursts of visceral horror. The basic narrative through-line is fuzzy, meaning the drama doesn't fullyA female coming-of-age story ala David Cronenberg, where opaque psychology finds expression in the ghastliest, and often ghoulishly funny, bursts of visceral horror. The basic narrative through-line is fuzzy, meaning the drama doesn't fully satisfy, but "Raw" boasts captivatingly fearless performances and a surfeit of collected scenes that individually hold attention with a queasy, vice-like grip. The faint-hearted will do well to avoid it but for all the glee "Raw" takes in shock value, rest assured it's a film conceived and executed with obvious intelligence, morbid wit, and a crooked sort of humanity. Just be sure you eat first. Expand
PugnaciousNov 11, 2017
Dear French-cinema lovers,

Dear French-cinema lovers,

Firstly, thank you for an opportunity to watch one of your country recent achievement in modern art. And what an achievement is it! You are right to discard all of the hamburger-eating peasants' rules, all that so-called American cinema, and you do not annoy us again with boring, understandable characters. Obviously, you, French people know that human existence is miserable, there are no connections between human, other than standing in the shower, and clean blood from your sister's face, or maybe have a sex with a homosexual guy and gnaw on your own hand at the same time. Or maybe, just maybe, being a truck driver, talking nonsense ant pet some guy's ear at the same time. You never forget, that there is no family anymore and that a father necessarily needs to act like some random guy towards his daughters.

Secondly, why use old weary logic and causation, when you could just throw some scene at us, and give us the sheer pleasure of ad a sense to it? You remind us, poor souls, that we are all doomed, and every worldly effort is pointless. Also, there is absolutely no need to put some humor into art, or even slightly hint, that humor is even possible (not after Sartre at least), so when you portrait fresh-year students, we better believe that they all act like 80-years old philosophers.

I love horror movies, and I love to be scared. I wasn't scared even once. I wasn't disturbed. You may believe that you could make movies, but you were only very lucky, for all the snobs who are there, who liked to feel intelligent. Raw is a pathetic nonsense, and it fails at all levels.
DocMacOct 9, 2017
The movie lacks continuity and a character with which anyone can connect. Honestly it feels more like a propaganda film in its production methodologies. It's not horrifying or shocking, but more surreal; but not in a good Dali way, moreThe movie lacks continuity and a character with which anyone can connect. Honestly it feels more like a propaganda film in its production methodologies. It's not horrifying or shocking, but more surreal; but not in a good Dali way, more like an annoying crazy neighbor kind of way. The most disturbing part of the movie is that you will wonder why you watched as much as you did. My excuse is plain, the remote was out of reach and I was being lazy. And the greatest shock is seeing high viewer ratings. Expand
hellbrasNov 1, 2017
Looking at the Rating for this Movie , i think its realy overrated. Dont get me wrong, it wasnt a bad Movie but at around 20 Minutes in it its pretty clear what will happen and it does so with maybe 1 little surprise. Acting was pretty decentLooking at the Rating for this Movie , i think its realy overrated. Dont get me wrong, it wasnt a bad Movie but at around 20 Minutes in it its pretty clear what will happen and it does so with maybe 1 little surprise. Acting was pretty decent but couldnt save the "not much happening" Story. Expand
inaneswineNov 14, 2017
The best horror films are dramas. This much has always been true. With Raw, the family drama of the difficult relationship between the protagonist and her sibling serves not as a backdrop to the gore. Rather, it transcends and enhances theThe best horror films are dramas. This much has always been true. With Raw, the family drama of the difficult relationship between the protagonist and her sibling serves not as a backdrop to the gore. Rather, it transcends and enhances the grotesque imagery. Well acted from all sides and written with surprising sensitivity and thought, it poses some seriously dark questions about pleasure, basic human need and sexuality, and the rather thin line between them all.

Having said all that, the graphic display of blood, guts and deformed flesh are easily the most memorable of all. They have the ability to simultaneously turn the stomach, admire the talent of the actors and also to commend the production design, make-up and cinematography.

Raw is an intensely disturbing film that decides not to judge the weird and often psychotic characters, but to display human desire for exactly what it is, in the nastiest way possible.
alexbakoMay 30, 2017
A gruesome coming-of-age story, driven by a teenager, and her struggles, as they grow bigger and bigger, when she suddenly realises she is evolving to a cannibal. Yes it's that disturbingly fascinating.
caf2042Mar 1, 2018
Yikes.... If you are in any way squeamish, this ain’t your film. If you aren’t, this may be a masterpiece. Garance Marillier is incredible, and absolutely riveting, and and I cannot wait to see what she does next. The standout here, however,Yikes.... If you are in any way squeamish, this ain’t your film. If you aren’t, this may be a masterpiece. Garance Marillier is incredible, and absolutely riveting, and and I cannot wait to see what she does next. The standout here, however, is Julia Ducournau's masterful directing. This film alerts us to the arrival of a master-class director. This film will horrify, and electrify you. Expand
LegitSaltMay 27, 2018
Personally, this is one of my favourite films right now. I feel it has themes and messages that are widely applicable. I have often been going about my regular life when something or someone causes me to return to thinking about this film. IPersonally, this is one of my favourite films right now. I feel it has themes and messages that are widely applicable. I have often been going about my regular life when something or someone causes me to return to thinking about this film. I recently showed this to my friends, since I had been so enamoured with it, and their reaction seemed to shock me. People really find this movie scary, and unwatchable? Either way, they survived the film and still are. With this being said, I advise avoiding this film if you cannot stomach body horror. The score is, in my opinion, the most ensnaring aspect of the film. It is so well constructed and could tell the story just as well, even if all dialogue and sound design were removed. The set pieces were stunning, especially the one for the several club scenes. There was a long one-take tracking shot as Justine first enters the club, which was technically and visually stunning. I can't talk so much in regards the acting since I am not practised in French, but my French friends tell me the delivery was not bad. My praise more or less ends here, as the plot might as well have been swiss cheese with how many holes it had. The actors' reactions and mannerisms did not feel as authentic as they could have been. Despite these flaws, I still come back to this movie time and time again. I would recommend this movie to everyone, but apparently, not everyone enjoys this level of intensity and open flesh. If you think you might like this film, I implore you to go out and watch it, which should be easy as it is now on Netflix. Expand