Neon | Release Date: May 11, 2018
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 135 Ratings
Watch Now
MeritCobaJun 6, 2018
Some people lack all sense of proportion by giving a movie like this a score that equals such movies as Alien(81 vs 83) or, more into the revenge scene, outscore Hard Candy(56???) or the Brave one. High scores suggest a good story, goodSome people lack all sense of proportion by giving a movie like this a score that equals such movies as Alien(81 vs 83) or, more into the revenge scene, outscore Hard Candy(56???) or the Brave one. High scores suggest a good story, good acting, good cinematography and a good music score. Revenge does not deliver on any of these. Perhaps, the best is the cinematography. It is at times unusual and sometimes comes above the level of decent but it is seldom put to good use and often followed by such bad camera work that you got the feeling that two people were working on this at the same time. And maybe there were. The music is not bad and sometimes even the best part, but again it is lackluster most of the time and just used in a bad way. The acting is not atrocious, but clearly these are not good actors, they feel like those Italian support actors Spaghetti western were filled with, whose only role was to be gunned down by the main actors. What can be said is that the female lead takes the cake simply because after some initial dialogue has no lines anymore. Silence is golden.

The worst part is the story and how it is told. This lack of a good plot is drowned with ample buckets of blood which is so ridiculous that non of the tension from the combat convinces. Especially at the end the setup is so botched with too many blood that I just had to skip the scene to the end. It isn't gory, it is just plain silly.

So the story: a girl is pushed from a cliff and gets speared on a branch in a dead tree after a drop of thirty feet. Had the movie started with this then it would have been engaging but alas we are about a third or so in. In fact, they could have started with her dragging her body through the desert, prompting us to ponder how she got there, and why. And had the pursuers just be silent men who hunted her instead of having us witness their atrocious dialogue. Again adding to the intrigue. This start would have gone nice with the interesting camera angles as she hangs in the tree and seems to die. Or while she scrambles through the desert and she slowly gets delirious.

The problem is that we never get to understand how this girl, with a foot long piece of wood through her kidney area is able to go on. In fact she leaves a bloody trail behind her and kills a guy, before she finally drags herself to a cave to tend to that wound. Mind you, she only patches up the exit end, the other side, we see in some shots, is not getting treated, but has apparently healed by itself. If they had just made better used of the powerful drug she has with her, it would have been believable that it was that that made her go on, but no.. even that explanation is not used.

The rest of the movie makes you not only wonder how this girl is able to go on, but makes you wonder why she doesn't run away. She is a sweet girl with, as far as we know, no combat experience or PTSD, heavily wounded, raped and smashed up. I would have ran the moment I had the chance. And she gets that chance even: she gets a car and she can now flee the scene, giving her the opportunity to exact revenge in another way(watch the movie to understand) but no this movie has to go pick the obvious but inexplainable route of having her confront the last guy.

And here is possible the big failure of this story. There is no plausible explanation for why she does what she does, what makes her tick and go on instead of collapsing into a ball of pain or running away when she can.

In all this doesn't make for a good movie, it doesn't show humans, it shows cliché characters that make the unblievable in an unbelievable story and giving this more than a five is being generous..
HotelCentralJan 18, 2019
I'll make this simple. Let's say, hypothetically, that you fall about a hundred feet. You land on dirt and rock and get impaled on a thing. You bleed at least half a gallon, probably more, and have bugs crawling all over your wounds. NowI'll make this simple. Let's say, hypothetically, that you fall about a hundred feet. You land on dirt and rock and get impaled on a thing. You bleed at least half a gallon, probably more, and have bugs crawling all over your wounds. Now if you think that, hypothetically, you're going to do anything other than wait for a big black bag that takes you straight to the morgue, then "Revenge" is the movie for you.

I sat through some part of the first hour. It's all I could endure.
DzimasJul 2, 2018
Basically a candy-colored version of the classic B-movie "I Spit on Your Grave," which had truly harrowing rape scenes, with the woman exacting her revenge on her abusers. In this case, we see far too much titillation for an "empowerment"Basically a candy-colored version of the classic B-movie "I Spit on Your Grave," which had truly harrowing rape scenes, with the woman exacting her revenge on her abusers. In this case, we see far too much titillation for an "empowerment" movie, not to mention it is hard to buy Jen surviving a fall like that. Granted, this movie is purposefully over the top, but one could hardly call it one for the Me Too movement. This is pure schlock dressed up to look like an art house film. Expand
JLuis_001May 23, 2018
Overhyped. For what it offers it works but it's never substantial or more engaging.
It aims to fans of suspense, action and gore and I'm pretty sure they will definitely love it.
I just found it entertaining enough to justify the time
I just found it entertaining enough to justify the time invested, nothing more.
Meth-dudeJun 1, 2018
As far as rape and revenge movies, this one was pretty fun. The story is cliché and predictable, the acting is sub-par even for this kind of film and the middle part of the movie was a little bit boring, but the last half hour was quiteAs far as rape and revenge movies, this one was pretty fun. The story is cliché and predictable, the acting is sub-par even for this kind of film and the middle part of the movie was a little bit boring, but the last half hour was quite entertaining, it was surprisingly violent and the revenge part was satisfying. If you like rape and revenge flicks and this movie interests you, you will probably not be disappointed. If not, then you'll probably be better off watching something else. Expand
wevertonaguiiarMay 21, 2018
Coralie Fargeat quer que subestimemos Jen, descartando-a como um brinquedo do seu amante. Ela quer que superestimemos Richard como um potencial cavaleiro de armadura brilhante, e Stan como a encarnação do puro mal chamando a tiros. Mas nadaCoralie Fargeat quer que subestimemos Jen, descartando-a como um brinquedo do seu amante. Ela quer que superestimemos Richard como um potencial cavaleiro de armadura brilhante, e Stan como a encarnação do puro mal chamando a tiros. Mas nada disso é verdade. Jen pode lidar consigo mesma, Richard pode revelar suas tendências sociopatas, e Stan pode ser empurrado para um canto para ser verbal e fisicamente abusado por alguém em uma posição de força que é tão psicologicamente ameaçador quanto é para aqueles que ele acredita existir para servi-lo. Eu só queria que o restante do filme não esquecesse a sensação de intriga em camadas elaboradas. Porque se a Fargeat puder sustentar a complexidade visual e narrativa desses dois suportes ao longo do seu próximo filme, fiquem de olho. Expand
frannorthstarJan 11, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best line...'the desert is ruthless for the careless'...Nice tattoo she has for a different version of whatever you make of the film, ‘guys day-out gone wrong’ to ‘don’t screw with my iPod', surprising though how little blood… Expand
GrantD243Sep 5, 2018
Revenge follows a girl, named Jen, who is brought out to her boyfriend's luxurious house in the middle of the desert. They hang out for a bit until two of her boyfriend's friends show up for a hunting trip. When the boyfriend goes away for aRevenge follows a girl, named Jen, who is brought out to her boyfriend's luxurious house in the middle of the desert. They hang out for a bit until two of her boyfriend's friends show up for a hunting trip. When the boyfriend goes away for a few hours one of the men rapes Jen, and then upon the boyfriend's return he offers her a job and money to forget about that happened, but she runs away and is eventually caught and pushed off of a cliff by the boyfriend and left for dead. Revenge is your typical revenge-tale film. The most original thing this film has to offer is how over-the-top the gore is, and while I'm all for that I don't think simply adding more gore to it makes it any better than any other revenge-tale flick. The cinematography is great, and it is awesome to see how Jen keeps herself alive and then goes after the men who tried to kill her, but there are also some very unbelievable moments throughout the story that made me get sucked out of it for a moment or two. And like I said, there's not really anything new here that blew me away. It's not a bad watch, though. Expand
bataguilaNov 14, 2018
Entretenida, pero en podera mucho a la mujer, y más si son medio putonas, a los hombres los deja muy pendejos.