7.2

1. Dec 18, 2013
    Utter nonsense.
    The writers cobbled this together on the way to work.
    I wasted two hours of my life watching this tripe.
    Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    An absolute error. From start to finish, it's just awful. For this kind of movie, scenario isn't that important & the visuals are quite good BUT that's all. Acting is awful & the movie is taking itself too seriously at the beginning. 30 minutes of "Riddick vs Wild" followed by sheer stupidity.
  3. Oct 24, 2013
    Awful sequel of an equally awful trilogy. The first movie 'Pitch Black'' was a kind of horror/sci-fi film, that got mediocre critics-and I agree, because it's a waste of time!!!!! Don't EVER try to watch this awful, terrible-with a lot of blood and nudity-film!!! Go somewhere else!!!
  4. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First Riddick not being able to recognize his own home planet and get screwed like that?
    I wont even comment on his fall from that rock.
    The thing about the lesbian asking him to do her... Pathetic. Its like Vin Diesel personally paid to get his ego polished.

The movie indeed had its good moments as well, but mostly it was just a kids movie.
    I loved the first 2 movies, but this is just not what I expected.
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    I wanted there to be more action in this movie. I like that there was survival in the movie. It has a good synopsis: a muscular most-wanted criminal is trapped on a desolate planet, and his only chance of escaping is survival. Riddick has to deal with swarms of violent creatures and bounty hunters.

The movie wasn't too long or too short, somewhere in the middle.
  6. Feb 4, 2014
    A major plot hole turned this from a 7 to a 4. It's not a terrible movie if you don't mind a bit of cliche'd writing and a plot hole here and there. Otherwise, I'd stay clear of this one.
  7. Oct 21, 2013
    Basically a two hour music video. Rare dialogue and too much narration make this movie hard to watch. Was ready to leave after an hour.

Should be called Ridiculous Riddick for a largely unbelievable plot.
  8. Jan 19, 2014
    Poorly written dialogue that bores you to tears, Special effects are so-so but get tiresome fast, Fight scenes are not that interesting. Yet despite all that, The true killer of this film isn't Riddick himself, It's the fact that it has a 2 hour run time. They easily could have told the story in an hour and a half and the fact that they have to needlessly drag it on really ruins the moviePoorly written dialogue that bores you to tears, Special effects are so-so but get tiresome fast, Fight scenes are not that interesting. Yet despite all that, The true killer of this film isn't Riddick himself, It's the fact that it has a 2 hour run time. They easily could have told the story in an hour and a half and the fact that they have to needlessly drag it on really ruins the movie in my opinion.

Unless you are an absolute die hard fan of the series, You will not want to bother with this film.
  9. Sep 14, 2013
    Just awful no exceptions. Based on claims that this film would harken back to the original themes established in "Pitch Black," the casting of Katee Sackhoff (as well as the return of Karl Urban), and reviews on this site telling me to ignore the critics (hint: listen to the critics), I was hopeful. But the result was worse than disappointing. In fact, it was horrible. Karl Urban's roleJust awful no exceptions. Based on claims that this film would harken back to the original themes established in "Pitch Black," the casting of Katee Sackhoff (as well as the return of Karl Urban), and reviews on this site telling me to ignore the critics (hint: listen to the critics), I was hopeful. But the result was worse than disappointing. In fact, it was horrible. Karl Urban's role was reduced to a brief flashback set to establish the background of Riddick's heavy-handed survivalism on a graphics-poor planet of overly done CGI that seemed to come straight out of "Star Trek: The Next Generation." His "dingo-dongo" companion (yes, that's what they actually call the alien-dog-predator-thing that Riddick somehow manages to befriend) is an additionally poor attempt at child-like humor and in the end is less than endearing. Even Riddick's rumblings failed to make up for the non-terrifying, and certainly uninteresting, group of mercenaries that come to track the man down. What could have been a compelling dynamic between the mercenary Dahl (Katee Sackhoff) and Riddick boils down to a one-dimensional, unestablished, and implied sexual interest that never comes to fruition. Oh and let's just say that Sackhoff's character isn't exactly inclined towards someone of Riddick's masculine features, which only makes it doubly unbearable. Besides the Necromonger flashback, the only real attempt to tie in the plot of "Riddick" to previous films in the series involves a character so obscure that only ardent fans will understand the sub-plot. The most promising element of the film that actually did seem to recall "Pitch Black" was a creature that seemed to simultaneously evoke the bird-like terrors of that film and poorly plagiarize the xenomorph hordes of "Aliens." A missed opportunity to revitalize this franchise, "Riddick" is just a poor film. Expand
  10. Sep 19, 2013
    Just when I thought that Man or Steel had disappointed me, Riddick delivered a new level of disappointment.
    My first yawn was in the first 10 minutes of the movie and after that things were getting better though I was still yawning.
    Please believe me when I say that I really want to like this movie since I like the previous two movies. But I just can't. Everything seems wrong:: the
    But I just can't. Everything seems wrong:: the effects, the plots, the characters and God-knows-what-else.

Don't waste your time watching it. Just 're-watch the first two movies and you'll be safe.
  11. Sep 20, 2013
    The metascore of 48 is about 48 too high. In every way that Chronicles was great this one fails, and it fails miserably. Riddick can't even save this mess of a movie. The acting, the story are bad bad bad. Not even worth watching on rental.
  12. Sep 29, 2013
    What a sham... I watched till the end just to see the level of disgrace V.D. was gonna fall to. I was wondering all the way whether the writer-director enjoyed what he did. I'm not going to give away spoilers, because "Riddick" producers did everything to already spoil everything they could, but ANY schoolboy would've come up with a much better plot devices, witty lines, action scenes.What a sham... I watched till the end just to see the level of disgrace V.D. was gonna fall to. I was wondering all the way whether the writer-director enjoyed what he did. I'm not going to give away spoilers, because "Riddick" producers did everything to already spoil everything they could, but ANY schoolboy would've come up with a much better plot devices, witty lines, action scenes. There is no fun, there is no action, it's pretentious and BORING. The highest point of the story is killing the ugly doggy. (facepalm...)
    As for exalting reviews well, it's because of that false enthusiasm we're getting lousy, phoney movies in spades. Studios don't have to worry about illegal downloading anymore, 'cause there is nothing to download these days, let alone buy some.
  13. Sep 8, 2013
    Riddick is all right. It boasts what is probably the worst AAA hollywood script of 2013, and all the acting except Vin Diesel is really weak. It's moderately entertaining but overall really isn't worth the money.. even remotely. Wait for the good movies coming out over the next 8 weeks.
  14. Sep 9, 2013
    My God this movie was awful. Where to start? The plot is a ripoff version of the original, the pacing is horrendous and the movie is overly long. The dialogue and writing are atrocious. The acting isn't memorable. The action is bad and so is the directing (canted angles constantly for no reason). Riddick as a character is weakling who gets beaten up constantly and has a puppy, A FREAKINGMy God this movie was awful. Where to start? The plot is a ripoff version of the original, the pacing is horrendous and the movie is overly long. The dialogue and writing are atrocious. The acting isn't memorable. The action is bad and so is the directing (canted angles constantly for no reason). Riddick as a character is weakling who gets beaten up constantly and has a puppy, A FREAKING PUPPY for no reason at all. It's like the people behind this movie had no idea what a Riddick movie even was!? Save your cash and time. Expand
  15. Sep 6, 2013
    The film doesn't come close to either of the other two, mainly because of the terrible dialogue, over reliance on cuss words and the bitter taste left by the sexist undertones being displayed towards the only female character. There's too much humor too, which detracts from the tension, and would be as bad if the jokes were actually funny instead of childish.
  16. Sep 24, 2013
    Initially I wanted to write this off. I wasn't a huge fan of Pitch Black (PB) and Chronicles of Riddick (CoR) but I wanted to like this film. But then I heard from people that have already seen this and seemed to love it. But I didn't want to be swayed by popular opinion and thought I'd see it for myself. I had no expectations when entering the cinema.

As the credit began I came to the

As the credit began I came to the conclusion this is not as good as PB and better than CoR. The first act was the best of the whole film where we see Riddick surviving and thriving. Along with back story on how he got there. Comparing this to the second and third act I wanted more of act one. The reason is as the film progress is becomes less enjoyable because the mercenaries were just not believable and their dialogue was poor. Also the way these mercs go about their business is just laughable, like children being given guns and told to go play.

The serious tone of this film present until the mercs arrive is completely undone by not just their antics, but how Riddick goes about his. I won't spoil anything but the method he goes about his business doesn't make sense. You'll know what I mean as the film enters it's third act.

I really didn't care about any of the characters either. Not one of them is worth it and seeing them die evokes no response. They are all just cannon fodder after all.

No spoilers but the ending is a let down and bad.

It passes as enjoyable and entertaining
  17. Feb 7, 2014
    The reviews here saying things like don't listen to the critics must be production company posts. I love Vin, really enjoyed The Chronicles, and expected more of that. It is, however, a terrible attempt to remake Pitch Black essentially. It is the same plot but poorer. The character interactions are completely unbelievable, terrible dialogue, SP FX is nothing close to special and theThe reviews here saying things like don't listen to the critics must be production company posts. I love Vin, really enjoyed The Chronicles, and expected more of that. It is, however, a terrible attempt to remake Pitch Black essentially. It is the same plot but poorer. The character interactions are completely unbelievable, terrible dialogue, SP FX is nothing close to special and the script is so basic and pointless, that it is almost confusing as you try to make more out of what is actually going on. Perhaps you should see it, just to see something so sub rate and to see how the critics here are obviously plants. Riddick does have the mysterious ability to change people's sexuality with out there being the slightest reason throughout the known or unknown universe. See it just for that, I guess. They need him in Russia. The most unbelievable film I think I have ever seen. If only Stallone was in this and it would have completed the gang bang of all gang bangs. Too long, too unbelievable, too amateurish dialogue and human interactions. And what happens to his Dingo-Dongo thingy? The tranqs were too much? In a word LUDICROUS. Sory Vin, please redeem yourself, and don't remake this one! Expand
  18. Feb 24, 2014
    Violent, dark, nasty, sexist, no plot, bad acting, too many of just one sort of alien slime-dwelling scorpion monsters. Oh, and the computer-generated jackal was killed off way too soon because it was the most interesting character in the whole movie At least no one involved with this silly sci-fi seemed to take it overly seriously, but even so, it had no real humor.

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    The movie jogs along nicely without ever getting a case of the stupids; far from being a bloated “John Carter,” it’s just a pared-down yarn of survival: “Die Hard” on a planet.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 16, 2013
    And that's it, really: two hours of loneliness, interleaved with havoc. The dialogue has been distilled to expletives and grunts. [16 Sept. 2013, p.74]
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Sep 9, 2013
    This is back-to-basics stuff, which turns out to be not such a bad idea.