Netflix | Release Date (Streaming): May 17, 2019
4.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 35 Ratings
Watch Now
UghReallyMay 23, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is going to be well reviewed by critics because of the subject matter, regardless of how mediocre the movie actually is. This is a middle of the road movie, folks. Another reviewer hit it on the head when they said something to the effect of how it felt like an early 2000’s Nickelodeon movie. It absolutely does, except for people getting killed and more than a few non kid friendly expletives and epithets used. The acting was ok, and the characters sympathetic, but it just kind of never really went anywhere. Also, the ending was open ended and unsatisfying, to say the least. Not in a Sopranos kind of way, where it made sense and you got what was being conveyed.

It’s worth a watch, if you’ve binged watched all the other stuff out on Netflix, but it really doesn’t deserve any of the glowing reviews that paid critics are giving it.
Volrath316May 18, 2019
The protagonist character CJ was really unlikable and she hardly learned any lesson at all by the end of the movie since the movie didn't really have an actual ending. In the end CJ was still stubborn and reckless and we have no idea whatThe protagonist character CJ was really unlikable and she hardly learned any lesson at all by the end of the movie since the movie didn't really have an actual ending. In the end CJ was still stubborn and reckless and we have no idea what happens at the end of the film. Besides that if you're bored and scrolling through Netflix this movie could be a fun watch if you don't have much expectations but don't expect to be satisfied by the end of the film. Expand
ysmfMay 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not even worth your time. The scenes are horrible in this, painstakingly long and annoying that adds nothing to the movie (especially some parts with slow motion. Intro to the town with music was unnecessary long, mid point scene where they're upgrading their machine, ending shot was of CJ running and camera focusing on her face for too long). Some scenes are just too long even though the conversation between each characters are short (eg. CJ and her brother in the kitchen washing dishes, CJ eavesdropping on Eduardo). The acting performance are decidedly obnoxiously average by everyone. Splicing in black culture/life in this does not add anything of note to this movie. Almost everything about the time traveling parts are cringe (the first time they succeeded, the camera was going EVERYWHERE for no particular reason and it just reminded me of a 2000s-esque low budget TV movie for kids by Nickelodeon.)

The worst is that they never actually tried to explain anything about their traveling device--which ties into the mid point of the film where they have to upgrade their devices. We're shown a lot of stuffs (liquid, VR/AR tech, quantum(?) motherboards) but NO EXPLANATION of anything absolutely by anyone. What was that liquid?? Pomegranate juice?? Why does that purportedly quantum motherboard look like a regular micro-ATX motherboard but spray painted gold?? Why is there a tube from the device that connects to their phone on their arm?? A LOT OF WHYS! This is not the way to go about a time traveling movie as we can't relate as we don't know anything!

A pet peeve--in their laboratory/garage there's a workstation consisting of 3 iMacs (triple monitor setup iMac--except that it's all iMacs) that they don't even use and have some kind of cringe animation going on there on a loop. NOBODY uses iMacs as their secondary or third monitor in a triple display system as it is a hassle compared to regular monitors. It's basically just placing the iMacs there for the sake of we're able to see it clearly...product placement???

This movie is so out of touch with any time traveling film. Adding in black culture does not do this any justice, didnt even evoke any sense of pain or loss. Wasted my time watching this. Dear Spike Lee, give me a time machine to turn back time and stop myself from watching this.
chiddaMay 22, 2019
I rarely cry during movies but this one was a real tear jerker—one that effectively utilized science fiction to illuminate the horrors of being black in America.
djtripmixMay 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thought it was awesome. Love the "wink, wink" cameo. ...and most of all, I like it BECAUSE it doesn't end! Expand
HamdiS71May 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. it has some really nice and heartwarming moments but also a few failed attempts at eliciting emotion (my emotions anyway), i didn't quite understand the bit after Sebastian died, did the movie continue with cj when she got back in time which should be a few weeks after or did it continue right after Sebastian's death? and why is every teenager brilliant? i can accept that but at least give me some context, how is a time travel project made just to win an expo, and how is the circuit thing just hiding under a teenager's bed? its not that big of a deal alone but many small issues in this movie combined to make it a less immersive and enjoyable experience. Expand
JohanZMay 24, 2019
The premise of two kids building a time machine seemed a bit silly at first, but as the move started to accelerate, it just knocked me over completely. But respect the age recommendation. It´s not "Back to the Future".
Bryan_RathbunMay 25, 2019
See You Yesterday Is a nice sci-fi movie involving time travel with highschoolers, but mixed with a relevant black lives matter plot. It is well done and solid performances from the leads.
uchihasilverMay 23, 2019
I actually enjoyed this film especially the characters and i loved the believable setting of time travel just being some jank piece of equipment made in a garage and this film would have rated much higher for me had it not been for the weirdI actually enjoyed this film especially the characters and i loved the believable setting of time travel just being some jank piece of equipment made in a garage and this film would have rated much higher for me had it not been for the weird trend netflix has going on of their movies having no conclusion much the same as how it ends another netflix film but as far as I’m concerned the cast did an excellent job Expand