Columbia Pictures | Release Date: December 13, 1995
Universal acclaim based on 103 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
BinkiJun 24, 2011
Really cool movie! Emma Thompson is incredible. Good adaptation of this masterpiece of Jane Austen. In my opinion, much better than Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley's version).
kyle20ellisMay 7, 2022
I love Jane Austen, and I love period dramas. This film, while a little too long, was perfect for me. I loved it when I first saw it a year ago, and I still love it now. Sense and Sensibility is a great book by Miss Austen, and this film doesI love Jane Austen, and I love period dramas. This film, while a little too long, was perfect for me. I loved it when I first saw it a year ago, and I still love it now. Sense and Sensibility is a great book by Miss Austen, and this film does the book justice, in my personal opinion. The film looks gorgeous, the camera-work, the locations and the costumes. The script sparkled with wit, subtlety, romance and heartache, especially when Marianne goes out into the rain and gets herself ill. The music is lovely also. The performances were exceptional. Period-film veteran Emma Thompson is lovely here as Elinor Dashwood, and Kate Winslet matches her perfectly in a beautifully-blended portrayal of the tragic Marianne. As for the men, they were very good too. Hugh Grant was exceedingly charming as the male lead, and I have read many reviews criticising Alan Rickman's acting.(not on IMDb though) He may have been older than Miss Austen intended, he was very good also as Colonel Brandon, but not as good as the other three. His style of acting is very suave and charismatic, like Sean Connery and George Sanders. If you've seen him in Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves you'll know what I mean. All in all, a lovely film, maybe not the best period drama, but has plenty of elements that makes it truly memorable. 9/10 Bethany Cox Expand
EmW.Feb 2, 2006
Lovely film! Laughed at the "F Major" scene when Mrs Jennings and her friend were having a giggle at the expense of Elinor Dashwood! Overall though it is a great film with superb acting. Ang Lee is a brilliant director as well.
ArtemisiaE.Nov 7, 2005
Excellent love story, Jane Austen's style of ironic writing shines through. Kudos to Ang Lee and Emma Thompson!
JohnM.Dec 20, 2005
This is an amazing movie, true to its traditional source yet very inviting and appealing to modern audiences. The performances are uniformly excellent, Emma Thompson deserved that Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar and the direction is fluid, This is an amazing movie, true to its traditional source yet very inviting and appealing to modern audiences. The performances are uniformly excellent, Emma Thompson deserved that Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar and the direction is fluid, unfussy and very insightful. The movie looks beautiful, too. Kate Winslet is superb in her somewhat flashier role, and this movie really made me appreciate Alan Rickman. I can come back to this movie again and again. What a joy. Expand
JennaT.Dec 11, 2007
This movie was well acted out. Some parts make you horribly mad and yelling at the TV like when Willoughby left but other than that it was good.
SpangleJun 30, 2016
Brilliant film. Sense and Sensibility is romantic, funny, and fantastically crafted. Flush to the brim with phenomenal acting turns, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, and Alan Rickman, all stand out the most with absolutely delightful performancesBrilliant film. Sense and Sensibility is romantic, funny, and fantastically crafted. Flush to the brim with phenomenal acting turns, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, and Alan Rickman, all stand out the most with absolutely delightful performances in this film. Additionally, the writing is great with well crafted, multi-dimensional characters across the board. The production and costume design here are also pitch perfect, as well as the 18th century medicinal techniques shown in the film. All really capture the period and help to put you into the film even more. In this tale of love and class, Sense and Sensibility does a great job creating realistic romances that really do break your heart when they fail and make you smile when they work. This is ultimately its great success: its authenticity. Overall, Sense and Sensibility is one of the best adaptations of Jane Austen's work. Expand
ginam5Jun 15, 2013
One of my favorite movies of all time. Great writing, perfect acting, just a gorgeous movie. It gets better every time you watch it. Col. Brandon is the epitome of chivalry, wisdom and romance. Who knew Severis Snape could be so romantic? (LOL)
EpicLadySpongeApr 30, 2016
Sense and Sensibility is what this movie has got to keep up the logical sensibility to save the movie from not making any sense. See this if you have both sense and sensibility.
FilipeNetoMar 25, 2022
This is another adaptation of Jane Austen's novel of the same name, widely known and considered a classic of English literature. I've never read it, I confess... I've never seen it for sale, but one day I'll read it, I'm curious to do so.This is another adaptation of Jane Austen's novel of the same name, widely known and considered a classic of English literature. I've never read it, I confess... I've never seen it for sale, but one day I'll read it, I'm curious to do so. However, taking into account what I saw in this film, it is not very different from other works by the author, who approached several times themes such as the life of the English middle and upper classes of her time, the rules and social conventions or the way how marriages were arranged according to the size of the dowries and possible inheritances, and not exactly the affections and feelings of the betrothed.

The two protagonists of this film are Marianne and Elinor Dashwood, two young sisters of marriageable age. They are the daughters of a father who has just died, but who is legally prevented from leaving them part of his fortune, which the law obliged him to leave entirely to the son of his first marriage. So the Dashwoods have to move to a small country house rented cheaply by a distant cousin. There, they will rebuild their lives, integrate into the local social life and begin to receive suitors.

Films like this always run the risk of becoming boring, with so many comings and goings, turns and revolts, where the relationships and courtships between the characters seem to go backwards and forwards. In this case, however, I must say that I found the film quite light, less melodramatic and tiring than I expected. The pacing of the film also helps, as it doesn't seem to waste much time pointlessly. The script is full of subtleties, intelligence, criticism of the way of living and thinking of the time.

The cast is very good and is full of well-known and proven names, starting with the protagonists, Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, two strong names who adapted well to the characters and knew how to give them what they needed. I'm not a Hugh Grant fan, but I recognize that his stilted posture and thick English accent work well for his character in the film. Alan Rickman is also excellent, in a register that adapts well to a more mature character, like his. However, there are several actors who did not do well, starting with Greg Wise, who was not convincing in my eyes and is very touchy-feely. I also thought that Elizabeth Spriggs was very histrionic and made the character tiresome.

Technically, the film has many merits: Ang Lee directed it intelligently, bringing out the best in everyone. The cinematography is very good and makes the most of England's rains and clouds, as well as the candlelight and the subtle, soft colors of the dresses. The sets are good, and together with the costumes, they manage to insert the audience into the historical period in which the story takes place. Of course, there are some anachronisms and small details where the production clearly had to improvise. The soundtrack also does a competent job.
FlipjeMay 25, 2021
Emma Thompson (screenwriter) and Ang Lee (director) have made a little charming Jane Austen adaptation. For Jane Austen fans, this is good ol' landed gentry, period drama, Pride and Prejudicish goodness. It satisfies like high-priced,Emma Thompson (screenwriter) and Ang Lee (director) have made a little charming Jane Austen adaptation. For Jane Austen fans, this is good ol' landed gentry, period drama, Pride and Prejudicish goodness. It satisfies like high-priced, imported chocolate. The screenplay moves at a brisk-enough pace for a film focussed on love and misunderstandings, not to mention heartbreaks and other cad, bad boy moments care of upper crusty too-good-to-be-true rogues. Emma Thompson (Elinor Dashwood) does her best Emma Thompson here and if you loved Howard's End or Remains of the Day, she is always tip-top and very received pronunciation in her dignified delivery. This version of Hugh Grant (Edward) is perfectly fine though it is Hugh Grant... pausing... between words... and selecting the next ones... with poise, perplexed brow... thoughtful... demeanor and yet, why not? It works. Alan Rickman (Col. Brandon) here is solid, saintly and just right the amount of stiff upper lift and you dearly wish, watching him, he made more films like this. His accent gives him a kind of nobility. As for Kate Winslet, well...wince, well... I have to say, she doesn't compare with Thompson's previous co-star from Howard's End. Helena Bonham- Carter, in my opinion, can act circles around Winslet and I'm sure, she would have been ideal for the role of Marianne if Miss HBC had not had an affair with a certain someone's hubby... hmmmm... so Winslet does the job but only barely, basically turning on the woe-is-me waterworks whenever necessary. I never felt for her giddy and emotionally mood-swinging character. Yet overall... story, writing, pace... great stuff. Villages of stone houses. Proper discussions. Green rolling landscape. Also, great fun with Hugh Laurie as Hugh Laura but being put-off and surly in period attire. Have to mention Gemma Jones as the matriarch: quite the screen presence to balance Winslet's lightweight weepiness. Easily recommended. Expand
Dostoyevsky3May 5, 2020
Sense and Sensibility is an undeniable Jane Austin masterpiece marked by a wonderful love story brought to film with Emma Thompson's masterfully winning performance.
DogeGamer2015Aug 1, 2021
Es una buena pelĂ­cula; la trama es decente y las actuaciones de Emma Thompson y Kate Winslet son excelentes.