Paramount Pictures | Release Date: September 17, 2004
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 164 Ratings
Watch Now
AlistairJan 22, 2006
I love this movie. I have to admit it's main appeal is visual with the wonderful sci-fi deco retro design. The opening sequences with the berthing of the Hindenberg in the snow are beautiful. The scatter-gun plot captures the feel of I love this movie. I have to admit it's main appeal is visual with the wonderful sci-fi deco retro design. The opening sequences with the berthing of the Hindenberg in the snow are beautiful. The scatter-gun plot captures the feel of classic 30s/40s movie serials (the same ground that Star Wars mined so successfully) well. Sure its a bit silly but it's a great achievement. This is the way of the futrure: marries the capabilities of CGI with human actors. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
morfilJun 27, 2013
I had not read about the movie before watching it and was fascinated within the first several minutes and continued to enjoy it through to the end. This movie's unique look and feel is its primary vehicle.

If you are looking for a

If you are looking for a sophisticated plot, this movie was not made for you. The plot and acting were adequate enough to avoid ruining the visual picture. The makers applied a comic book feel to the movie that allowed for softer edges and sepia tones, both with the animated sets and the human characters. If a set does not look completely realistic, the viewer is not troubled because the set is consistent with everything you see in the movie.
LedleyK.Sep 27, 2004
Thank you guys for giving this movie a 3. It was an abination yes, not not a total abomination. But I cant get pass the abomination part. Paltrow was sooooooo annoying. I just hated every single word that came out of her mouth, and the Movie Thank you guys for giving this movie a 3. It was an abination yes, not not a total abomination. But I cant get pass the abomination part. Paltrow was sooooooo annoying. I just hated every single word that came out of her mouth, and the Movie is sooo Generic and so lifeless, you never care about the characters, you never wonder if they are in danger or not. In the first scene when they were being chased by the bat planes, they were having a good time and making a joke of it. Those guys arent even afraid of Giant robots. When Jude law ran over to that robot and pushed it down after shooting it in the leg. I spit out my sprite. I mean, how the hell could he do that. It was so fricken comical it wasnt even funny. Anyway, Somebody here mentioned to see the Indiana Jones movies again. Please do that instead of watching this. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
AbbyJul 1, 2007
When I saw this movie I almost died of bordem. If you have insomnia I would recommend this movie to cure it.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
AndrewK.Sep 21, 2004
Obviously this is another one of those love it or hate it films. I'm not a fan of action movies, but this really isn't an action movie. Its an homage to old cinema. I loved it. Sure a few things might not've made sense, but Obviously this is another one of those love it or hate it films. I'm not a fan of action movies, but this really isn't an action movie. Its an homage to old cinema. I loved it. Sure a few things might not've made sense, but its just supposed to be a fun film. And if you'd just sit back and stop picking at every little detail, you'd realize how much fun it is. This movie is meant to be simple in the way the films that inspired it were. Its silly. Its awesome. Its like nothing you've ever seen before. The visuals are fantastic. I loved every minute of it. The score was great. The actors were great, ESPECIALLY Gwyneth Paltrow, who got the "take-no-s..t" female reporter role dead on. One of the best actresses in Hollywood. Most people seem to have too high expectations for this movie to be "deep" or something. Why? That's not what its supposed to be. How could one even get that impression from the previews? And that Adam L. guy on here! What's his problem? He dares critique a movie he admits to falling asleep during? How dare he! For shame, sir! I bet you're the type that thinks "O Brother, Whereart Thou" was a great film. "O Brother" indeed! Expand
LomaxHunterMar 6, 2006
May be the single worst entertainment product I have ever witnessed. Shame on everyone involved.
MoeL.Mar 12, 2006
One can only appreciate this film if one has a smooth brain and breathes exclusively from the mouth.
MattC.Mar 6, 2006
Sure it has poor dialogue, an incoherent story, hackneyed adventure sequences (taking down plodding metal behemoths with a tow cable, hmm, where have we seen that before?), lazy acting, but it was so imaginative and technically-- wait, no, Sure it has poor dialogue, an incoherent story, hackneyed adventure sequences (taking down plodding metal behemoths with a tow cable, hmm, where have we seen that before?), lazy acting, but it was so imaginative and technically-- wait, no, this is a cinematic abomination. If you want to give Mr. Conran a A+ for working a computer, great. Is this a film? No. 0% style and -1,000,000% plot and acting. Stop giving films a pass because someone used a new gadget on their Mac. Expand
PaulI.May 23, 2007
Although the movie is visually stunning and the plot is constucted well, the conflict between the main chacter and the damsel in distress is somewhat annoying.
DonH.Nov 21, 2005
A wonderful tribute to the early sci-fi serials and movies. It
drlowdonDec 24, 2020
In 1939, an intrepid reporter in New York City makes a connection between the story she's covering, of famous scientists suddenly disappearing around the world, and a recent attack on the city by giant robots. Determined to find the solutionIn 1939, an intrepid reporter in New York City makes a connection between the story she's covering, of famous scientists suddenly disappearing around the world, and a recent attack on the city by giant robots. Determined to find the solution to these happenings, she seeks the help of her ex-boyfriend, the Captain of a mercenary legion of pilots. Sky Captain is a stylish movie with plenty of excellent performances, but all in all the plot isn’t quite sufficient to support it’s run time and I must admit I had started to lose interest before the end credits. Expand
AlienSpaceBatsApr 6, 2013
There's plenty to applaud Sky Captain for; the visual design is unique and it doesn't feel as though it's been put through a rigorous test audience mill but it's incredibly dull. Best taken for what it is: an ode to pre-war serials.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
Sky Captain is a fascinating adventure story perfect for the big screen. However, providing us with this digital illusion is not only unnecessary but hugely distracting.
juliankennedy23Oct 26, 2014
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 8/10: It was King Kong that made me fall in love with the movie. He doesn't appear himself (unlike ring mate Godzilla who cameos in silhouette in a Japanese newspaper.) but his ship and friends are thereSky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 8/10: It was King Kong that made me fall in love with the movie. He doesn't appear himself (unlike ring mate Godzilla who cameos in silhouette in a Japanese newspaper.) but his ship and friends are there and his tree is there. You know the moss covered tree that covers the impossibly deep chasm. To one he uses to fling helpless sailors to there death like some kind of lumberjack games blood sport. There the tree is in glorious color just as I left it in the imagination of my seven-year old self.

I was enjoying myself up to that point mind you I had for one thing decided that this was an Anime rather than a regular film. (The giant robots make this illusion much more palatable as did an annoying performance by Miss Paltrow. In anime the female characters are almost always whining up a storm.) This allowed all the plot holes creative use of color and scientific flubs to fall by the wayside. I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Of note much has been made of the use of CGI but lets face it. It is simply easier to put CGI effects on an artificial background rather than place them in photo-realistic settings like the snakes of Anaconda: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid or the wolves in Day after Tomorrow have proved most recently.

Sure Sky Captain is far from perfect (an actual villain would have helped and been more in line with the serials it was emulating), but try telling that to the seven year old in me that kept saying "cool what's next".
BroyaxJan 16, 2017
L'uchronie, c'est un passeport pour la connerie, un prétexte pour le n'importe quoi et une excuse pour la médiocrité de quelque scénariste minable qui se réveille avec la gueule de bois alors qu'il n'a pas écrit la moindre ligne. Voyons unL'uchronie, c'est un passeport pour la connerie, un prétexte pour le n'importe quoi et une excuse pour la médiocrité de quelque scénariste minable qui se réveille avec la gueule de bois alors qu'il n'a pas écrit la moindre ligne. Voyons un peu : les "années 30", des robots géants, Capitaine Ciel qui vient dézinguer les méchantes boîtes en fer blanc dans son zingue de... la Seconde Guerre Mondiale.

Puis la conspiration, l'avion qui vole sous l'eau... et des dinosaures ! Jude Law fait sa tête de minet et se révèle lamentable en tout point ; quant à Gouinette Paltoc, on ne voit jamais la couleur de son froc alors que c'est pourtant son seul atout dans sa vie cinémerdographique.

Outre leur goût douteux, les effets spéciaux sont assez grossiers et l'imbécillité de l'ensemble fait indéniablement penser à une connerie Disney pour **** cons. Putain de monde de demain. La ferme, Kévin, t'as école demain.