Netflix | Release Date (Streaming): April 29, 2016
5.3
Mixed or average reviews based on 36 Ratings
Watch Now
jamessMay 5, 2016
Much like Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais succeeds in the short form like The Office and Extras, but seems to struggle in the feature length film format. Correspondents has a simple plot. It's the escalating lie concept. Eric Bana and Gervais playMuch like Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais succeeds in the short form like The Office and Extras, but seems to struggle in the feature length film format. Correspondents has a simple plot. It's the escalating lie concept. Eric Bana and Gervais play employees of a newsradio station in New York (does anybody get their news from a radio nowadays? Does anybody LISTEN to radio nowadays?). Bana is the rule breaking, smooth talking street reporter, better at BS than actual news reporting. Gervais is the mild mannered sound engineer. Circumstances lead them to call in fake news reports from Ecuador, while still in New York. Complications (but not hilarity) pursue. Gervais sense of dry humor and satire of easy subjects makes for a humorous movie at times, but you won't remember it two days after seeing it. Expand
adpirtleMay 28, 2016
Not a bad film, but not one I'd expect to win any awards. Just another workmanlike effort from writer/director Gervais. A decent way to spend an otherwise boring afternoon.
themovieguy123May 3, 2016
This movie was a disappointment because i was expecting lots of funny moments but there were little to none. Ricky Gervais done a bad job directing and writing this. Would not watch this again.
Peadar123May 2, 2016
Possibly not his finest hour but entertaining nonetheless. It is honest and most importantly unfocus-grouped. Although characters drift a little too much and lose some credibility because of it, thatt does not justify the negative vibes itPossibly not his finest hour but entertaining nonetheless. It is honest and most importantly unfocus-grouped. Although characters drift a little too much and lose some credibility because of it, thatt does not justify the negative vibes it is getting . However , would the main character have had a wife like he had Probably not. Could anyone live with the insults he was hit with by the co star? even a meek character? I dunno ...you could also ask , would licking coke off a piece of paper have enabled him to shoot up a compound of baddies? It's a spoof comedy for God's sake!!! There are probably quite a few people who don't like him anymore because he insulted their icons at the Golden Globes. He understands what makes comedy not just laughs as in junk like Third Rock from the Sun where every line is focus grouped for laughs. Expand
yassApr 29, 2016
As much as I love Ricky and his TV/Podcast work, movies aren't made for him. We can see him struggling to find a joke/gag. It is hard to laugh in that film, the acting isn't great, even from Eric Bana. This movie is a remake from a FrenchAs much as I love Ricky and his TV/Podcast work, movies aren't made for him. We can see him struggling to find a joke/gag. It is hard to laugh in that film, the acting isn't great, even from Eric Bana. This movie is a remake from a French Movie which was a critical flop. Ricky was ambitious to remake it and unfortunately didn't do better. Expand
gatts_77May 2, 2016
It was not great by any means, but entertaining enough to stick with it till the end, definitely a good thing that considering the short attention span you may grow with so much stuff available on streaming, Bana funny, Farmiga funny, GervaisIt was not great by any means, but entertaining enough to stick with it till the end, definitely a good thing that considering the short attention span you may grow with so much stuff available on streaming, Bana funny, Farmiga funny, Gervais ok, overall history meh-ok, thats a 7 from me Expand
itmoApr 29, 2016
Not sure where the plot is in this film, if there is one here it is almost invisible. There is no climax, a very weak premise of an idea that somehow manages to last over an hour and a half. This is the worst idea Ricky has ever come upNot sure where the plot is in this film, if there is one here it is almost invisible. There is no climax, a very weak premise of an idea that somehow manages to last over an hour and a half. This is the worst idea Ricky has ever come up with. What a pile of crap. Expand
frankcastle2Apr 29, 2016
I the man with a plan Gervais delivers yet another vehicle for his acting ability or therein lack of. Yes he's ok, yes this is ok. the plots ok. the cinematography is ok, everything is a ok. solid 4/10 if someone else was Gervais character.I the man with a plan Gervais delivers yet another vehicle for his acting ability or therein lack of. Yes he's ok, yes this is ok. the plots ok. the cinematography is ok, everything is a ok. solid 4/10 if someone else was Gervais character. WHY DO EVERYTHING AGAIN? DIDN'T WORK LAST TIME DID IT. Stephen Merchant has more talent in his middle finger than Gervais can muster in this ok film, which was just ok. Expand
intruder313Apr 29, 2016
It's a pretty good, light-hearted film but it's just not funny. I think I smirked twice: once at the only joke shown in the trailers and then the reversal of that joke.
NavyBeanApr 29, 2016
Not that bad. At no time did I say to myself "This is momunmentally bad." or "I want to turn this off because it smells like a dog that's come in from the rain and the rain was made of onions." I did pause it a few times when I had to go toNot that bad. At no time did I say to myself "This is momunmentally bad." or "I want to turn this off because it smells like a dog that's come in from the rain and the rain was made of onions." I did pause it a few times when I had to go to the bathroom or get a large glass of ginger beer, but if I hadn't, I don't think I would have missed much.

It's forgettable in a way that, well, I can't quite put into words. America Ferrera is much hotter than I remember her. But those of you looking for nudity will be sorely disappointed.
Meth-dudeMar 23, 2019
It had an interesting story, but it's unfortunately very cliché, predictable the acting is average at best and worst of all, it's not very funny. If you're expecting something outrageous and funny, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you justIt had an interesting story, but it's unfortunately very cliché, predictable the acting is average at best and worst of all, it's not very funny. If you're expecting something outrageous and funny, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you just want to be entertained for an hour and a half, you might enjoy it. Expand
Porter95May 29, 2016
Its a good movie, no doubt about it. But it isnt great. Its something you can watch to the end, but only watch it once. I would recommend it cause it isnt bad.
Bana done well with a comedic role, but the real issue was with this movie, was
Bana done well with a comedic role, but the real issue was with this movie, was Ricky Gervais.
His acting. He's more a sadistic sarcastic kind of character. James Cordon could pull that role off better. It was a bad role for Gervais and that to me dragged it down.
And its a shame cause it could of been something really good.
KaptenVideoSep 2, 2017
It’s a Netflix-produced project written and directed by legendary comedy mastermind Ricky Gervais, who also stars alongside Eric Bana.
A radio journalist (Bana) and his technician (Gervais) fake their own kidnapping during a rebel uprising in Ecuador and try to hide out in New York instead. Also appearing: Vera Farmiga, Kelly Macdonald, Kevin Pollak, America Ferrera, Raúl Castillo, Benjamin Bratt et al.
Like most of Gervais’s movies, it’s not as sharp and funny as his famous for based on his other works (TV series, standup, podcasts etc). Sadly, it’s also nearly not as mainstream friendly as most of his movies which have at least some memorable LOL moments.
It’s based on a decent idea and the screenplay is competent, but the humor is rather dry and intellectual, making one go „I see what they did here“ rather than really enjoying the show.
The satirical pokes about the authenticity of modern media business and the worthiness of the stars it creates gives the story at least some extra depth, even if you won't remember it the next morning.
Dialogue and acting are competent, too, but we spend most of the time in the company of two men with no palpable chemistry – just doing their work and being professional about it.
Always solid Vera Farmiga gives a more juicier performance as a technician’s villainous wife but she can’t conquer the overall dryness of it all, either.
The movie also looks cheap, which is not a problem in itself because the small budget sets its limits. But I have to say it’s overall one of the less exciting Gervais projects I’ve seen. Sorry.
At least it doesn’t go on for too long, although at 101 minutes it’s not exactly short either. And yes, disappointing Gervais is still better than no Gervais at all.
IMDb says it's a remake of 2009's French comedy "Envoyés très spéciaux". Both have mediocre user rating but the newer version has a bit higher score (5.8 vs 5.3 out of 10).
JLuis_001Feb 6, 2018
A film for Netflix that you can enjoy on a Sunday with nothing better to see and without doubt if you are a fan of Gervais.