Neon | Release Date: November 5, 2021
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 301 Ratings
Watch Now
basicbwtchNov 22, 2021
kristen Oscar nominee and winner soon
she is the moment
we love to see it she is an it girl
siscofalcopNov 25, 2021
Kristen Stewart is the absolute star of the film and that makes it wonderful. The space, the shots, the colors, the costumes, a magnificent experience from a point of view that we are not used to witness. The only downside are the metaphors,Kristen Stewart is the absolute star of the film and that makes it wonderful. The space, the shots, the colors, the costumes, a magnificent experience from a point of view that we are not used to witness. The only downside are the metaphors, which sometimes become too obvious. Expand
theredskyNov 23, 2021
A film that breaks the conventions of a biopic by taking a real person and placing them in a real life event while being abstract and looking at how the person thought instead of how the people around her felt. It’s everything I wanted it toA film that breaks the conventions of a biopic by taking a real person and placing them in a real life event while being abstract and looking at how the person thought instead of how the people around her felt. It’s everything I wanted it to be and more. I have to say that Kristen Stewart’s performance as Princess Diana is absolutely amazing. It’s my favorite performance of the year so far and absolutely deserves the Oscar for Best Actress next year. Stewart is unrecognizable here and I loved that. All of the other performances were great as well especially from Timothy Spall and Sally Hawkins. The costumes are on point here. Each of them helps contribute to Diana’s mood and tone of the overall scene which was amazing. The costumes help us understand Diana’s mood and what she is thinking without directly telling us. The direction, cinematography, and writing are all amazing as well. Pablo Larraín does an amazing job at showing and not telling us Diana’s mood unless it was absolutely necessary and his style contributes greatly to the final product. The writing does a fantastic job at showing us someone who is crumbling under the weight of being a member of the Royal family and feeling the need to just run. The cinematography looks stellar here. It looks like a film that came straight out of the 1990s in a good way. The music has a jazzy feel to it which helps us show the impulsiveness of Diana in this film. I also loved how we get almost dream sequences here where we see how Diana is feeling and what she wants to do. Those scenes feel very uncomfortable at points and it works beautifully. All of these qualities come together beautifully to show us the inside of Diana Spencer. Please go check this out when you can but know it’s a much more different kind of biopic. Expand
gmzcuteNov 25, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Kristen Stewart is AMAZING!!! Beautiful storytelling, thanks Pablo Larraín for one of the best movies of the year Expand
MoDaherNov 25, 2021
Stewart Captured Diana's soul and her body language, her performance is more credible than Emma Corin's take, on the crown.
MarkHReviewsNov 18, 2021
Director Pablo Larrain (the “Jackie” biopic) and Writer Steven Knight (“Locke,” “Serenity,” “Eastern Promises”) offer fair warning. In the opening moments of “Spencer,” a vanity card tells us this will be “a fable from a true tragedy.” WeDirector Pablo Larrain (the “Jackie” biopic) and Writer Steven Knight (“Locke,” “Serenity,” “Eastern Promises”) offer fair warning. In the opening moments of “Spencer,” a vanity card tells us this will be “a fable from a true tragedy.” We are fully aware that this portrait of Princess Diana will not be a by-the-numbers recitation of historical facts. But there is scant preparation for a film that unfolds much more like a fever dream.

All of the action takes place in December, 1991, at Sandringham, the estate where the royal family spends Christmas each year. Diana and Prince Charles are eleven years into their marriage, with their breathlessly-followed separation occurring exactly one year later.

Some of the film is clearly reality-based. Diana’s bulimia, which is depicted quite graphically, is well-known. It’s also accurate that all royal gatherings are highly structured events, down to the specific outfit changes required of Diana for each meal. (There’s a rack of dresses with labels indicating when each piece of clothing must be worn.) The ever-presence of Camilla Parker-Bowles is similarly reality-based. In this case, the creative team has Charles giving identical pearl necklaces to Diana and Parker-Bowles as Christmas gifts. (The giving of identical gifts did happen on another occasion, but involved different jewelry.)

Some of the film is clearly imagined. Knight’s script delves deep into Diana’s psyche. What emerges is a series of hallucinations, culminating with imaginary conversations between Diana and Anne Boleyn, with whom she identifies. It all comes together to form a searing depiction of a woman in psychic agony. This tone of unrest, dread and impending doom is accentuated by the powerful score of Jonny Greenwood (“Phantom Thread,” several Radiohead music videos). Greenwood’s work underscores Diana’s anxiety, fear and desperation as he moves from discordant jazz to simple piano melodies to other musical idioms, all without a single false note.

What doesn’t work is the royal family as anti-hero. Diana’s single interaction with the Queen is cordial and instructive (the Queen observes that all the members of the royal family are “just currency” for an insatiable press). Diana’s major conversation with Prince Charles, while devoid of warmth, is not overtly threatening. The “oppressive” demands of the royal family as a group seem to center on the request that Diana show up on time for dinner. While it’s starkly evident that Diana is consistently being controlled and monitored, the dreaded “other” that is clearly crushing Diana never comes into clear focus.

What makes this film a must-see is Kristen Stewart. With “On the Road,” “The Clouds of Sils Maria” and various other serious films, Stewart has demonstrated her intention to become a versatile, multi-faceted actress. “Spencer” reflects the culmination of all that hard work and development. While showing an uncanny ability to reflect Diana’s mannerisms, gait and facial expressions, Stewart moves well beyond mimicry to owning and inhabiting this role in a way that’s powerfully mesmerizing.

After viewing “Spencer,” my feelings about Princess Diana were essentially unchanged. I still wish I had deeper insight into an iconic figure who was publicly kind, thoughtful and accessible while privately disintegrating.
stephany1234Nov 24, 2021
Kristen interpreta de forma emocionante as vivências de Lady Di, realmente a atriz deubo seu melhor na trama "Spencer"
Stream2BigScreeNov 12, 2021
It seems like the life and times of Princess Diana are on the top of the mind for the entertainment industry. The most recent season of "The Crown" depicted Princess Diana joining the House of Windsor and all of the turmoil surrounding. ThereIt seems like the life and times of Princess Diana are on the top of the mind for the entertainment industry. The most recent season of "The Crown" depicted Princess Diana joining the House of Windsor and all of the turmoil surrounding. There is also a Broadway musical called Diana. Guess what that's about. Now, Princess Diana gets the big screen treatment in Spencer, but it's not one of those cradle-to-grave biopics but something more specific. I took in this rather inscrutable drama at a theater near me, and here's how it went.

Pablo Larrain's Spencer sets the tone with the following title card: "a fable of a true tragedy." Essentially, as much as this is a depiction of Princess Diana on a fateful Christmas holiday in the 1991, it is very clearly a fictionalized account of this time. In the beginning, Diana arrives late and alone to the Queen's Sandringham Estate after the rest of the family has already settled in. It seems Diana's goal is just to get through one last weekend with the House of Windsor before her separation and ultimate divorce from the Prince of Wales. Spencer depicts the mental and physical struggles that Diana goes through enduring this holiday isolated and dictated to by a family that doesn't want her.

Kristen Stewart gives a remarkable performance as this version of Diana. Her look is an approximation of what we've seen of Diana - the wig, the makeup and the clothes. Stewart has mannerisms, a voice and accent that suggest the princess, but don't amount to mimicry. Stewart does her best to embody, as well as convey, the difficulty that must have been plaguing Diana at this time. She is the reason to see Spencer as no other actors really register in the film. It is a one woman show, and it's a good show at that.

If there is another star, it has to be Pablo Larrain's direction. Now, I can't entirely get on board with the whole show, but Larrain definitely was going for something different. For the most part, he achieved it. Who would have considered this biopic to be almost a horror film or a psychological thriller? It was really shocking at points when things you think you saw are maybe not exactly what they seem to be. I don't want to get too spoiler-y because it is good to be caught off guard. Some may not appreciate the flights of fancy that pop up throughout, but I thought it makes what is otherwise a well-trodden subject interesting again.

Side Note: the score by Jonny Greenwood is so fascinating and discordant that it gets distracting at times.

Spencer is another in an ever-growing line of Princess Diana depictions. Pablo Larrain takes some strange chances telling this story and attempts to get inside the head of the troubled princess with varying degrees of success. Kristen Stewart's performance is stellar and is worth a viewing. Grab a bowl of popcorn for a matinee of Spencer.
gabcrayNov 19, 2021
It's wonderful how this movie bring together real and ethereal the same time. Repulsion and Rosemary baby are the first movies that comes in my mind when I watched this. And Goooooosh how Stewart are fantastic here
jessilustosaNov 25, 2021
o filme impecável!!!!! fotografia linda, trilha sonora INCRÍVEL e a atuação da kristen tá divina!!!!!!! digna de oscar SIM
Jonathan_M_2Nov 11, 2021
A beautiful, disturbing and dramatic look at Diana’s feelings on the system over Christmas. It’s dense, it’s one note almost the whole way through, and it’s very good.
JerwaNov 18, 2021
Spencer is a great surprise that I rate 16/20. First, I noticed the desire of the director to pay a tribute to Stanley Kubrick. Shot on film in 4:3, the movie refers several times to 'The Shining'. The hotel corridors, the cellars, theSpencer is a great surprise that I rate 16/20. First, I noticed the desire of the director to pay a tribute to Stanley Kubrick. Shot on film in 4:3, the movie refers several times to 'The Shining'. The hotel corridors, the cellars, the kitchens, the cold room, the majordomo, the bathroom scene with the old woman, a green bathroom similar to 'The Shining', the nightmarish sequences, the escape in the cold night... Everything is more or less related to 'The Shining' or 'Barry Lyndon' for the aristocratic side, and Kirsten Stewart's interpretation is great, enhancing the quality. ( Watched in Warsaw, Poland on November 17, 2021 ) Expand
KatyPerryIsOverNov 25, 2021
Um dos piores filmes do ano! Kristen parece não ter saído dos seus personagens vampirescos e ainda encarna uma vampira nesse filme ridículo.
MadonnaFanNov 25, 2021
This woman should just get stuck doing silly vampire movies made for teenagers than venturing into plots she can't handle.
MarlhomNov 25, 2021
How daring to put that talentless girl of that stupid vampire movie made for spoiled teenagers to play Lady Diana...
SweekruthiprabhNov 25, 2021
The movie is just boring. There are no stakes or any real plot. However, the cinematography and acting is top notch.
ArethahNov 25, 2021
Who allowed this h0e to play Lady Diana? Damn this movie was gross, definitely not worth the wait!
isa2332Nov 25, 2021
The story is so nonsensical, Kristen looks great, but the script didn't help.
Terrible movie, the actress was what she saved minimally
XuxinhaNov 25, 2021
Worst movie of the year, critics are only pushing for sympathy because of the pain of the royal family, but if you were to judge Kristen's acting alone, this movie would be bombed!
CamixlidNov 5, 2021
I really loved this movie. Stewart's performance, the cinematography, that score omg, everything came together and create a masterpiece. One of my favorite movies of the year
sanjay152005Nov 25, 2021
boring movie but kristen was somewhat good, so 1 point .................................
GalennoNov 26, 2021
A boring movie, Kristen doesn't look like Princess Diana at all, and has no reputation for playing her. Kristen, stick to your teen bait movies, your talent is limited to movies like that.
paltareinaNov 5, 2021
I think this is it. This is probabbly the best film of the year. I'm a huge fan of Pablo Larraín's filmography, but this has to be top tier. Both The Club and Spencer are very beautiful but very disturbing films, where all the weight is onI think this is it. This is probabbly the best film of the year. I'm a huge fan of Pablo Larraín's filmography, but this has to be top tier. Both The Club and Spencer are very beautiful but very disturbing films, where all the weight is on their protagonists. In this case, Kristen does one of the best performances in recent years. Expand
PrisilaNov 25, 2021
Kristen should be sued by the Royal Family for turning Lady Di into an emotionless clown!
Lana1996Nov 5, 2021
This a piece of art, love this movie, one of my favorites, like, of my life
Rosie1220Nov 5, 2021
Amazing movie and an Oscar-worthy performance from Kristen Stewart! Everything about the movie was impeccable but she carried it on her shoulders.
JLuis_001Nov 6, 2021
Diana Spencer is a tragic figure. Basically everything that happened to her in her adult life was tragic. From the miserable life she had with the English royal family, to the overwhelming media harassment she received after her divorce,Diana Spencer is a tragic figure. Basically everything that happened to her in her adult life was tragic. From the miserable life she had with the English royal family, to the overwhelming media harassment she received after her divorce, which culminated in her death trying to escape the paparazzi. And now, after so long since her death. Her tragic death. Her figure and her presence continue to be exploited.

In this case, well actually in all the current cases that represent these people, I find it incredibly surprising.
I say this because Diana Spencer had to be a perfect princess for the royal family. And nowadays, Diana Spencer has to be the perfect figure for all the people who have mythologized her. Pablo Larraín plays in that arena with his newest film. Basically evoking everything he did in Jackie, but for some reason it's always been said that you can't use the same trick with an audience that already expects or knows it, and Spencer is basically the romanticized version of a series of events that the screenwriter decides to imagine in his own way, giving all the spotlight to his protagonist, but leaving aside any substantial elements at its core.

And yes, Kristen Stewart even with her bad accent gives what is perhaps the best performance of her career, but once you notice all the nuances that she was able to impregnate into her performance, there's no more, because the story doesn't give her something else to do.

Everything is speculative. And the film defends that with its " A fable from a true tragedy"
It would be so much more interesting if this had not already been so thoroughly explored.

Spencer is a well-made film, I can't deny that, but the setting and the style can't make up for the lack of a better narrative, and more than anything, a different dynamic.

Larraín plays the same notes through the whole thing, and never wanders outside the box, so he delivers a correct but inconsequential film.

It will certainly give Stewart the Oscar because we know how the business works, but beyond that, I'm not taking anything with me from this fable.

Spencer doesn't humanize Princess Diana, it does something much worse. It idealizes her.
Nin13Nov 6, 2021
Incredibly beautifully shot movie, about a woman going through the worst time in her life. Movie about a woman, not a princess, her emotional state, an incredible mother, whose priority is her children. Looooved every part of it. IncredibleIncredibly beautifully shot movie, about a woman going through the worst time in her life. Movie about a woman, not a princess, her emotional state, an incredible mother, whose priority is her children. Looooved every part of it. Incredible performances, especially the lead actress, the impact is so fresh in my mind, I can't seem to calm down. Good job, to everyone involved and thank you for this experience Expand
AlmarioNov 25, 2021
The worst movie of 2021! Boring and the acting is very lame and didn’t delivered it. Worse worse worse!!!
DarwinpNov 24, 2021
Kristen Stewart did a great job but overall the movie is boring, she portrayed Diana so well. For sure she deserves a nomination
JairBoIsonaroNov 26, 2021
This movie was pretty boring. There was no plot. It was just the family being awful to Diana. It felt like there was no progress made throughout the movie until the end when she decides to take her sons and run away.
BeyfanNov 27, 2021
This movie is a very bad one, I went to see it in the cinema with my family and friends and almost everyone hated it.
TidinhaNov 27, 2021
Um lixo de filme nao perca seu tempo assistindo esse filme a atriz parece engessada demais
nunez1986Nov 5, 2021
Kristen Stewart is absolutely amazing in it!
She's incredible, she totally disappears into Diana.
The movie is an explosion of art (photography, music, direction, costumes and acting are sublime). Kristen Stewart deserves all the attention
Kristen Stewart is absolutely amazing in it!
She's incredible, she totally disappears into Diana.
Kristen Stewart deserves all the attention and certainly deserves a lot of awards for her performance.
sidawyNov 5, 2021
Brilliant brilliant brilliant film , Stewart is sublime one of the best performances ever , Mathon's cinematography is magical , Greenwood's score is from another world , Larraìn is a master
Dipanjana821Nov 5, 2021
This is a aesthetic movie with amazing cinematography and costumes. And now people must stop saying that Kristen Stewart can't act.
Mody23Nov 5, 2021
A phenomenal and career best performance by Kristen Stewart elevates this hypnotic, emotional and wonderful movie.
xoaliNov 5, 2021
Stunning film with an Oscar-worthy performance from Kristen Stewart. Everything about this is just beautiful, from the costume design to the production design to Jonny Greenwood's spellbinding score.
n3wmo0nsNov 5, 2021
Everything in Spencer is perfect! Kristen Stewart is the best actress of the generation. Just give her Oscar!
KTJPS986Nov 5, 2021
One of the best films and performance of this year. ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
GagaBestActressNov 25, 2021
The worst movie of 2021 by far!!! Boring, weak, cheap and the acting is very lame and didn’t delivered.
HideousRampageNov 15, 2021
Positives:
.Kristen Stewart shows her range and dominates as Diana
.Fantastic Cinematography Negatives .Incredibly pretentious score, extremely un-matching and felt like it belonged to some poet jam club .Kristen Stewart overacts in a lot of
Positives:
.Kristen Stewart shows her range and dominates as Diana
.Fantastic Cinematography Negatives
.Kristen Stewart overacts in a lot of scenes, on the verge of tears in almost every scene
.Movie portrays Diana as an absolute nutcase and a terrible mother
.It tries to cast Diana in a tragic period where she's trapped and wants to be freed..Yet conveys none of that in this nonsensical storyline
.It isn't realistic and nothing in the movie happened in real life
.Casting choices for the Royal Family is questionable

All in all, it's a complete bored, pretentious and portrays Diana as an unlikable sociopath that intentionally puts her children through trauma, not even hiding her disorders and being extremely rude to everyone she knows. If you knew nothing about Diana going in, i'd be surprised if you came out liking her. The plot tries and fails to cast it as a trapped bird wanting to be free. Instead showing us that she's an extremely bratty person and there's literally nothing trapping her in this. I genuinely cannot see what people find enjoyable in this film, it's not haunting, it's not spellbinding..it's a genuine attempt at sabotaging Diana in the guise of a tragic story.
henrxqueNov 5, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. great movie and great performance by kristen stewart, also the score is brilliant Expand
AnaCeciNov 5, 2021
Woah the movie is soooo good! The music! The costumes! The scenery! Kristen Stewart!
lwtosNov 11, 2021
The story is breathtaking by itself. Kristen Stewart is the best ever, in my opinion, Spencer.
Dery2215Nov 27, 2021
A rather pretty film but which lacks coherence. The film is very boring and the performance of the actors apart from Kristen is very bad ...
mon_teNov 6, 2021
it's not a typical biopic but i really liked. Kristen carried the movie and she did a great job.
boris_02Nov 7, 2021
kristen is truly a gifted actress, she embodies diana in a fantastic way and gives one of the best performance of the year.
ReinakakaNov 9, 2021
Spencer is definitely one of the best movies this year!Brilliant performance!To be honest,she deserves an Oscar this time. MUST WATCH
NarinhaNov 27, 2021
Don't watch this movie! This girl should only have been making movies for teenagers as it is evident that she cannot play characters and dramatic plots.
PauloRolaoNov 27, 2021
I have to say that this is one of the worst (if not the worst) movie of the year, Kristen is frozen and her acting feels amateur.
JunoCalaminoNov 28, 2021
An artsy cerebral look at the Princess of Wales. The Screenplay doesn't know what it wants to tell, and it looks like a photoreal of Kirsten Stewart trying to viebfor an Oscar. I couldn't possibly recommend it?
BevamailNov 28, 2021
I watched this twice to make sure that I hadn’t missed something. Having lived through this era in the UK, I totally understand the story, cinematography, casting and wardrobe are impeccable. But the script and plot were nothing more thanI watched this twice to make sure that I hadn’t missed something. Having lived through this era in the UK, I totally understand the story, cinematography, casting and wardrobe are impeccable. But the script and plot were nothing more than a disaster. I had such high hopes and the just nowhere to be seen. Expand
MattyIce34Nov 5, 2021
Stewart and the musical score are incredible, both will get awards talk and deservedly so. Surely not a biopic for everyone, but Diana wasn’t exactly for everyone, herself, either.
Bel626Nov 6, 2021
This one really left me speechless. It’s not a biopic. It’s full of imagination and surprises. Kristen Stewart is impeccable. She literally melts into Diana. Just give her the awards. And the score is excellent too! An unbelievably beautifulThis one really left me speechless. It’s not a biopic. It’s full of imagination and surprises. Kristen Stewart is impeccable. She literally melts into Diana. Just give her the awards. And the score is excellent too! An unbelievably beautiful film. Expand
calbearNov 9, 2021
If you care at all about plot, character development, or even audibility, avoid this film. We get a beautiful backdrop for Stewart to spend almost two hours hurriedly whispering to herself and others about whether or not she's going crazyIf you care at all about plot, character development, or even audibility, avoid this film. We get a beautiful backdrop for Stewart to spend almost two hours hurriedly whispering to herself and others about whether or not she's going crazy under the pressure of public and private scrutiny. The most captivating part - Timothy Spall's monologue - is also the most cliché. Near the end, we're reminded that everyone loved the princess, but this screenplay gives us little hint as to why. A mildly happy ending leaves the audience somewhat relieved on the way out... until we remember that the real-life ending was anything but happy. Expand
Ete2021Nov 6, 2021
Kristen Stewart can not act. She looks the part but is constipated when speaking. Music bugged me and it was an unfair portrayal of a woman who was so much more than her marriage.
AlaaiochiNov 25, 2021
Esse é um dos grandes filmes do ano e um forte concorrente na temporada de premiação. Roteiro, fotografia, trilha sonora, direção e é claro a atuação magnífica da kristen stewart são esplêndidos!
fra92Nov 7, 2021
Diana is such a complex figure and Spencer manages to expose interesting aspects about her- Stewart is incredible
MyleeneFRWNov 5, 2021
Кристен в очередной раз доказала что она гениальная актриса, блестящая актриса.
sweetmoNov 5, 2021
it's literally the prettiest movie i've seen, loved the cinematography and the score....Jonny did that. Of course the main point of the film, kristen oh god! what an actress
GinaKNov 8, 2021
Am I really going to give this film the top score? It would be hard not to. Kristen Stewart never sets a foot wrong, and she is completely convincing as the enigmatic, troubled almost-queen of England. And the rest of the cast, although notAm I really going to give this film the top score? It would be hard not to. Kristen Stewart never sets a foot wrong, and she is completely convincing as the enigmatic, troubled almost-queen of England. And the rest of the cast, although not at all as enigmatic, troubled, or interesting, provides solid support without any distractions. Right now, it seems impossible to believe that anyone will best Stewart this year in a role made in heaven for an actress. And so many things could have gone wrong, yet they didn’t. The pacing is wonderful, and her performance is fascinating and constantly commands attention, as Diana herself did in life. What will she do next? You can never quite guess, and that’s what propels the film forward and makes it fascinating. The rest of the cast never distracts, although you keep trying to guess how true-to-life they are. Expand
moviemitch96Nov 6, 2021
In this reimagining of the life of Princess Diana of Wales, Kristen Stewart stars as the emotionally tormented princess who finds herself disillusioned and wanting out of her marriage to Prince Charles. Written by Steven Knight, best knownIn this reimagining of the life of Princess Diana of Wales, Kristen Stewart stars as the emotionally tormented princess who finds herself disillusioned and wanting out of her marriage to Prince Charles. Written by Steven Knight, best known for scribing the Netflix series 'Peaky Blinders', and directed by Pablo Larrain, who also directed the Natalie Portman starrer 'Jackie' back in 2016, the film has a keen eye for the inner and emotional turmoil that Diana often suffered, even if the film does still feel like a run-of-the-mill biopic at times, despite taking some creative liberties throughout. Furthermore, the film has a rather grainy texture and feel to it, particularly the cinematography that sets the mood and time period rather well, and the score even does a rather fine job of establishing the anguish of Diana throughout. However, it should go without saying that Stewart's performance here is without a doubt the biggest draw/highlight. She's truly never been better, and this is coming from someone who was rather skeptical upon first learning of her casting in this role, but she far exceeded my expectations! She will win an Oscar for this film, mark my words! But overall, despite some of the standard biopic beats that are found here, the set pieces, overall tone, and especially Stewart's performance are all more than enough to warrant a view here. Expand
Brent_MarchantNov 7, 2021
There's a big difference between fable and chronicle, and that seems to be the point on which many viewers are misunderstanding in this historic "what if" saga about one of the world's best known and most celebrated icons. At a time when theThere's a big difference between fable and chronicle, and that seems to be the point on which many viewers are misunderstanding in this historic "what if" saga about one of the world's best known and most celebrated icons. At a time when the onetime-fairytale marriage of Princess Diana and Prince Charles was quickly dissolving, we see a frazzled woman in transition, fighting to protect her own identity and the well-being of her children under the crushing weight of traditions and expectations that did not suit her. Set during the 1991 Christmas holidays at the Queen's Sandringham Estate, Diana struggles to be herself without completely losing it in the company of one of the world's most distasteful and dysfunctional families. As this story unfolds, however, viewers see a side of the beloved People's Princess that is not always the most flattering but nevertheless depicts her honestly as an authentic human being seeking to keep herself from being consumed by the toxic environment surrounding her. Of course, even though this film involves real life figures, it's fundamentally a work of speculative fiction and makes that point clear from the very start, a statement many audience members may have missed, misunderstood, ignored or didn't take seriously. In that regard, director Pablo Lorain's latest is thus more of a hypothetical character study, presenting events and situations where the kinds of issues Diana was experiencing are depicted despite a lack of verified substantiation. To be sure, some of those incidents are a little melodramatic, with symbolism that can be a trifle heavy-handed and obvious at times. However, when considered within the narrative context in which they're included, it's understandable why they were made part of the story. In this way, much of what the filmmaker has done here for Diana is similar to what he did in "Jackie" (2016) for First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, both pictures being about women who experienced tremendous tragedy in their lives and how they attempted to cope with their circumstances. The crowning element of this film, of course, is the positively stellar performance of Kristen Stewart, a portrayal that easily makes clear why she's currently the leading contender to win this year's Oscar for best actress. But there are many other fine attributes here, too, from production design to costumes to a fine supporting cast and more. It's indeed unfortunate that this offering has become so misunderstood in a number of circles, but it truly is one of this year's finest, as long as viewers appreciate why it is the way it is. Expand
DarkosauvageauNov 29, 2021
this movie is incredible... wow give kristen stewart an Oscar she is amazing... such a great masterpiece
HelbertNov 29, 2021
Delicate, emotional and beautiful movie. Kristen delivers her best performance yet and she looks stunning.
SoloYTNov 9, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is Specner?

Despite what a good portion of the audience anticipated when the purchased their tickets, this film is not at all a biopic that spanning Diana's entire life. Nor is everything you see on screen meant to be taken at face value. The film describes itself best as, "A fable from a true tragedy," that chronicles the Christmas weekend in which she chose to take her life by the reigns and leave Prince Charles.

Why Spencer?

A lot of people have been wondering why this movie was entitled "Spencer." This is because it is Princess Diana's maiden name. This film ultimately revolves around who Diana wants to be in comparison who how the royal family desires for her to present herself. With who she identified as prior to her royal engagement serving as a common motif throughout the course of the film. Making "Spencer" a fitting title. Who does this film claim Diana is?

The one element that this film absolutely had to get right was it's representation of such a prominent, and beloved, recent historical figure Diana. This film absolutely hits the nail on the head whether it be Kristen Stewart's Oscar worthy performance as Spencer herself, but most importantly in her characterization. Here we she is akin to a entrapped animal. She is persecuted for showing any sort of individualism or deviating from the path that has been set out for her. She is told that, "There has to be two of you. There's the real one, and the one they take pictures of." However she is oppressed under this monarchy and is given no opportunity to draw the curtains and be herself. However her kind spirit shins through the sadness around her in her interactions with her children and the staff who are meant to serve her and it is shown how all she asks in return is to just be loved a independent woman. What's the feel?

The film in a way carries itself like a psychological horror. It's score is meant to make the audience feel as claustrophobic and imprisoned as Spencer does herself. Whenever the you hear the sharp edge of the violin, you are ensnared by the illusion that the film casts upon you, which is rather remarkable. What is a common motif:

The film compares Princess Diana to birds that are hunted for sport by Charles. She marvels at their unique beauty and exclaims which is representative of the beauty distinctive beauty that is found within each of us. At the beginning of the movie there is a long shot of a dead bird as the royal entourage pulls up in uniformity, highlighting how Diana was individually dead as a member of that family. Charles wants to have their eldest son join him in shooting these birds and killing individuality in doing so. However Diana pushes back, by running in front of the birds spotlighting her own distinctiveness in doing so and asking for her children to accompany her home raising them to celebrate individuality in the process. What are my concise thoughts?

This film is a masterfully crafted celebration of our differences and an accurate depiction of Princess Diana that will allow for her memory to live on for generations to come.
AJ_13Dec 1, 2021
Tragic, unique and amazingly crafted. Directing and score are great, and with stunning visuals. They completely nailed the casting for every character, but Kristen Stewart takes the cake.

I felt that the film slows down a bit halfway through

I felt that the film slows down a bit halfway through it, but it stills has some great moments and is beautifully shot and made.
AnalivialdmNov 25, 2021
Kristen está espetacular como Diana, pois ela se funde a Diana e não faz uma caracterização caricata com sotaques forçados, mas sim durante o filme todo ela É a Diana, entre os jeitos, a voz e o amor pelos filhos.
Jonny Greenwood você é um
Jonny Greenwood você é um gênio
Pablo Larraín, você merece o mundo
natt98Nov 9, 2021
I was waiting so long to see this movie and now that I've seen it, I have to say that it was definitely not what I expected it to be, but in a good way. I can't get enough of Kristen's acting. She personifies diana so perfectly that I thoughtI was waiting so long to see this movie and now that I've seen it, I have to say that it was definitely not what I expected it to be, but in a good way. I can't get enough of Kristen's acting. She personifies diana so perfectly that I thought she was the one taking her kids to eat kfc. Expand
Carolina_Nov 14, 2021
I must admit that I questioned the choice of Stewart, but I could not be more wrong, she is impressive, her Interpretation is masterful and moving, the unpredictable and curious vision of Larraín, the beautiful cinematography and the score ofI must admit that I questioned the choice of Stewart, but I could not be more wrong, she is impressive, her Interpretation is masterful and moving, the unpredictable and curious vision of Larraín, the beautiful cinematography and the score of the great Jonny Greenwood, great cast performances , they made it one of my favorite movies of this year definitely Expand
luis2230Nov 25, 2021
kristen is amazing, give her all the awards, the score reminds us of a horror movie, often claustrophobic and kristen manages to do it so well that we feel on the other side of the screen every feeling and moment she is going through
beyhive22Nov 25, 2021
the photography by claire mathon is beautiful and fantastic, we also have jonny greenwood with one of the best scores I've ever heard in movies and despite a perfect combo still with larraín's direction, the movie is all kristen, spencer isthe photography by claire mathon is beautiful and fantastic, we also have jonny greenwood with one of the best scores I've ever heard in movies and despite a perfect combo still with larraín's direction, the movie is all kristen, spencer is kristen and kristen It's Spencer Expand
maykelleNov 25, 2021
Filme sensacional! incrível como você consegue sentir todas as sensações retratadas durante o filme todo! atuação da Kristen perfeita!
PamelaGundNov 25, 2021
O filme trata de forma respeitosa toda a grandiosidade da princesa Diana. Stewart é impecável em seus trejeitos, sotaque e a força no olhar. Larrain fez com que todos sentíssemos como se estivéssemos passando pelos mesmos problemas, foiO filme trata de forma respeitosa toda a grandiosidade da princesa Diana. Stewart é impecável em seus trejeitos, sotaque e a força no olhar. Larrain fez com que todos sentíssemos como se estivéssemos passando pelos mesmos problemas, foi angustiante. Com certeza ganhará diversos prêmios. Expand
giferreirxNov 25, 2021
It's the best movie of 2021! Kristen Stewart is perfect and wonderful. Oscar??? Definitely yes.
stewkthNov 25, 2021
I have never seen anything more magnificent as this movie. kristen stewart is perfect with a breathtaking performance
NandaFFSNov 25, 2021
Spencer é um filme maravilhoso, não é uma biografia documental e sim um estudo de personagem, que essa persona é a Lady Diana, e o filme trabalha muito bem com o que deixa explícito logo de início, que é falar do estado mental de Diana nesseSpencer é um filme maravilhoso, não é uma biografia documental e sim um estudo de personagem, que essa persona é a Lady Diana, e o filme trabalha muito bem com o que deixa explícito logo de início, que é falar do estado mental de Diana nesse período de 3 dias durante a época de Natal, a gente vê a luta de Diana, esse filme retrata uma pessoa em crise, com uma autoestima baixa depois do decorrer de um casamento que não foi um conto de fadas e com toda a pressão e tradição da realeza, foi um filme que me tocou muito e acho que quando um filme te toca, significa que ele é realmente especial. Expand
readjoonieNov 25, 2021
Kristen mostra sua maior atuação, demostrando de forma crua, visceral e verdadeira, os sentimentos de diana durante esse momento turbulento diante da família real. Kristen deve ser ovacionada de pé pela academia e sua atual extremamenteKristen mostra sua maior atuação, demostrando de forma crua, visceral e verdadeira, os sentimentos de diana durante esse momento turbulento diante da família real. Kristen deve ser ovacionada de pé pela academia e sua atual extremamente impactante. Expand
AdrsgNov 25, 2021
Kristen Stewart and Pablo Larrain deserved an Oscar for this movie. INCREDIBLE
IrbineNov 25, 2021
o melhor filme que já vi. ótima fotografia, trilha sonora, ótimas interpretações e uma destaque para a atuação de Kristen que está impecável!
gfrncNov 25, 2021
Filme poético e com fotografia impecável. Kristen Stewart se destaca com sua atuação de Lady Di, trazendo seu sotaque e manias perfeitamente.
twigirlrkNov 25, 2021
This film is a truly sensitive and magnificent work of art, Pablo Larraín manages to narrate the story in a playful way that makes us feel even more connected with Diana, Kristen Stewart reaches the highest level of acting, she is justThis film is a truly sensitive and magnificent work of art, Pablo Larraín manages to narrate the story in a playful way that makes us feel even more connected with Diana, Kristen Stewart reaches the highest level of acting, she is just perfect, sometimes I felt in his skin, no doubt Spencer deserves to do incredibly well at the Oscars. Expand
mlh414Nov 27, 2021
Spencer had me captivated from start to finish. Kristen Stewart was phenomenal and mesmerizing as Princess Diana. The raw emotions she exuded made you feel like you were experiencing it with her, yearning for her to break free from herSpencer had me captivated from start to finish. Kristen Stewart was phenomenal and mesmerizing as Princess Diana. The raw emotions she exuded made you feel like you were experiencing it with her, yearning for her to break free from her prison. It’s truly a work of art and love from all involved. Expand
TammyCurryNov 28, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film that is as subtle as a sledgehammer, with symbolism here is so heavy-handed that you are likely to leave covered in bruises. Kristen Stewart is magnificent through it all though, whether slurping down pearls or fetching the boltcutters. Sally Hawkins is also a dream, Timothy Spall a nightmare, and Mike and the Mechanics a miracle in crucial roles. No one seems to be in the same film but it all somehow works Expand
vironacNov 30, 2021
Go girl give us nothing energy! Boring, disrespectful and amateur movie!!!!
matthewmirlianiNov 6, 2021
Review 2: A gorgeous ghost story - about the ghosts of the past that both linger and that warn us of impending danger. Foreboding, stylistic, heavy with symbolism, and featuring a can’t-miss, sure-to-be legendary performance by KristenReview 2: A gorgeous ghost story - about the ghosts of the past that both linger and that warn us of impending danger. Foreboding, stylistic, heavy with symbolism, and featuring a can’t-miss, sure-to-be legendary performance by Kristen Stewart, Spencer recalls not only Larrain’s earlier masterpiece Jackie, but also recalls some of the finest works of psychological horror. Its rejection of social expectations and elitism make it the royal family version of The Graduate. The ending is cinematic perfection. Review 1: With touches of Kubrick and Polanski, Spencer is a brilliant, gorgeously-shot film - both eerie and beautiful, featuring a fantastic Kristen Stewart performance. A worthy companion piece to Jackie, Spencer has moments and images that will stay with you long after the film is finished. Expand
lizbarbosaNov 5, 2021
Melhor atuação feminina do ano. Está sendo prazeroso vê toda a aclamação que a Kristen está recebendo. Nunca duvidei do talento da lenda.
HerickDienerNov 25, 2021
"Spencer" se tornou, sem dúvidas, um dos meus filmes favoritos do ano, graças à sua coesão e imersão.

Que trabalho monstruoso do Pablo Larraín. Ele nos deixa palpáveis as sensações de claustrofobia, angústia, desgosto e, até mesmo, a bulimia vivida pela personagem, através de um olhar, andar ou, acredite, um colar de pérolas. Tudo isso com uma direção primorosa.

Kristen Stewart DESAPARECE no papel de Princesa Diana. Da primeira à última cena você fica imerso na personagem, graças a atuação soberba da atriz, que provou que é só lhe entregar um bom material que ela mostra à que veio.

O uso de simbologia, constantemente usado pelo diretor em seus trabalhos, pode embaçar a experiência de muitos que naturalmente chegarão, por causa da popularidade de sua protagonista, e não estão acostumados com o método. Mas eles dão conta!

Ahh, entrega logo o Oscar de Melhor Atriz para a Kristen, Academia!
TiduraesNov 25, 2021
One of the most beautiful films of the year. A masterclass in directing and acting.
moviecritic68Nov 10, 2021
This movie was very difficult to sit through. I guess to put it in perspective ... Boringly monotonous. Film concentrated on a short period of Diana's reign and the gist of her unhappiness could have been told in a much shorter version.
PanchogulNov 27, 2021
Quien debería ser merecidamente elogiada como actriz principal este año debería de ser Kristen Stewart, hace un magnífico trabajo como Diana Spencer, ha mejorado muchísimo su lenguaje corporal para los que dicen que es inexpresiva, domina deQuien debería ser merecidamente elogiada como actriz principal este año debería de ser Kristen Stewart, hace un magnífico trabajo como Diana Spencer, ha mejorado muchísimo su lenguaje corporal para los que dicen que es inexpresiva, domina de manera sublime el acento correspondiente.

A nivel técnico me encantó Spencer, la paleta de colores, la banda sonora y la relación de aspecto y lo mejor de todo es que fue dirigida por un CHILENO.
meydianarizki21Nov 26, 2021
Read before you watch...

Read before you watch...

The movie itself says... A fable about a true tragedy. We all know the general story of the marriage between Diana and Charles. This movie is not claiming any sort of truth but rather a story of what it might've been like based on interviews and such. Don't go in thinking you're going to get an exact nonfiction.

With that being said, it is incredibly well done. The acting, the vision, the music. And as nothing is perfect, there are one or two slow parts but nothing that I'd discriminate for.

The music has a hint of edge to it; that horror movie scratch with piano and violin. But what a great throwback when the last song in the movie plays.

Visually the movie is beautiful.

The acting. Yup. Could be her best role yet, though her Joan Jett performance in The Runaways 11 years ago was dynamite as well. While she doesn't LOOK exactly like Diana, her portrayal of her is fantastic. Not sure if it's good enough to win the Oscar but the talk of nomination seems on point from where I was sitting.

If you are interested in the royal family, the story of Diana or just a badass female who gave up the opportunity to be a princess to gain her Self, then I recommend this movie.

When you like who you are, who needs a crown anyway?
v1v13n_Nov 26, 2021
i don't know why it's not allowed to post a review in one word and in all caps when what i really just wanna say is: CINEMA
BillboardPHDec 17, 2021
MetacriticOnurNov 23, 2021
perfect
[ adjective, noun pur-fikt; verb per-fekt ]

adjective
conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type:
a perfect sphere;
a perfect gentleman.
sergiopalma02Nov 16, 2021
Kristen Stewart will probably win an Oscar for this role, but there's much more here to enjoy besides her. Amazing set designs, unique score, beautiful cinematography, and a well crafted script.
GlendaAlencarNov 25, 2021
Perfeição! Amei do começo ao fim, a interação da Diana com os meninos eh simplesmente incrível! A Kristen Stewart está perfeita no papel, ela e a Sally Hawkins tem uma química incrível demais!
larixbNov 25, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of Kristen’s best performance so far, she gives such a beautiful perspctive of Lady Di, such an iconic persona. You can truly see the princess through Pablo Larrain’s lens. The music, the performances, the outfits, everything that creates this visual masterpiece helps to build a dive inside this bright, unique mind that was Diana. Expand
NotaDezDec 1, 2021
Atriz dura engessada não expressa emoção para o público, o filme é chato também!