Twentieth Century Fox | Release Date: December 25, 2019
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 34 Ratings
Watch Now
FranzHcriticJan 3, 2020
I only bothered to see this movie because I had to babysit my two little cousins, but to tell the truth, it wouldn't have been so bad if I'd taken them to an R-rated movie. Movies 'Spies in Disguise' gives us a good explanation for Disney andI only bothered to see this movie because I had to babysit my two little cousins, but to tell the truth, it wouldn't have been so bad if I'd taken them to an R-rated movie. Movies 'Spies in Disguise' gives us a good explanation for Disney and Pixar continuing to dominate film animation. It pushes absurdity while at the same time throwing heavy-handed, disorganized and overly-sentimental messages of pacifism. I've gotten to the point where animation has lost a lot of its charm and appeal, and films like 'Spies in Disguise' are the reason why. Expand
SSH83Dec 31, 2019
Expected Will Smith to carry the movie, but actually found the whole supporting cast to be entertainingly likable as well. The story is very creative and does not fall into modern narrative cliches. I genuinely laughed out loud a few times.Expected Will Smith to carry the movie, but actually found the whole supporting cast to be entertainingly likable as well. The story is very creative and does not fall into modern narrative cliches. I genuinely laughed out loud a few times. This is the perfect holiday movie for the whole family that is also creatively satisfying. Expand
zmgalen2000Dec 29, 2019
Classically Will Smith, Spies in Disguise is an action-packed, humor-filled journey laced with adult innuendos and a substantive plot. Genuinely funny with a unique animation style, the movie provides a fresh and unique take on the classicClassically Will Smith, Spies in Disguise is an action-packed, humor-filled journey laced with adult innuendos and a substantive plot. Genuinely funny with a unique animation style, the movie provides a fresh and unique take on the classic spy/sidekick adventure, keeping the viewer engaged from start to end. Expand
alejandro970Dec 28, 2019
With almost same style of 007, Lance Sterling is a sophisticated and arrogant spy with license... to make fun all audience. Armed by witty script that mixes action and humor, free of gross jokes, and Will Smith and Tom Holland in the voiceWith almost same style of 007, Lance Sterling is a sophisticated and arrogant spy with license... to make fun all audience. Armed by witty script that mixes action and humor, free of gross jokes, and Will Smith and Tom Holland in the voice cast, you get 103 minutes plenty of amusement that deserves a combo of popcorn, soda and chocolate bar (just like me, in my birthday). Expand
Creeper3455Dec 26, 2019
This or Frozen II? This or Frozen II?.... Whatever, both movies had mindforks during the end credits.

To say that Spies In Disguise reeks of "I've watched this film before" may be just enough to make you think of the kind of movie you'll be watching. But to say this was the best Will Smith performance of 2019 (between this, Aladdin 2019 and Gemini Man) was enough to give it a passing grade.

And when I mean "I've watched this before", I mean it. From the first second, you already know where it'll be going, even if there's still a bone in its body to make it stand out amongst other Animated Movies this year, thanks to the whole "Spy gets turned into a Pigeon" concept, which almost reaches its full potential once the "buddy cop" part of the movie goes on.

It's from there that the movie goes full-throttle, being busy just to make sure you're having a wild ride, between Action Sequences that feel like that's where the $110 Million budget mostly went to, a score that wants to be 007 but also wants to be emotive because Animated Movie.

The cast perfectly plays off of each other (obviously Ben Mendelsohn as the villain was Awesome as always) and the humor is hit or miss. Yes, even with a 50 Shades joke that I let it slide just fine, especially considering how Universal will soon destroy the magic of LEGO in theaters. And there's a nice message for kids too. Go weird and go wild, even if you're from somewhere else.

It could've been all great had it not been a "seen it, done it" situation. A big example of how familiar it is can be The LEGO Batman Movie. And, for being an Animated Movie, it sure doesn't have a look of its own. Sure, they play off "the characters need to look like the actors playing them" expertly, but other than that, it's your standard run-of-the-mill Animation, backgrounds and everything.

It also helps that I had a mindfork during the credits, since, apparently, Andrew Stanton (a Pixar veteran) and Meg LeFauve (writer of Inside Out) were credited as Consultants for the movie. Again, hard to decide if Frozen II was the better mindfork or this one.

Regardless, this is still an entertaining romp with a great duo, and iit easily features the best secondary character (besides Tom Holland) in an Animated Movie this year (ironically played by DJ Khaled). Like yeah, it's familiar and all, but it's better than Star Wars, that's something.
JoesDec 28, 2019
Good movie, excelent animaron and a good actutation of Tom Holland and Will Smith
DerekReideDec 27, 2019
Wow! A lot better than I thought this would be. Going into this animated film, this could have been the standard, generic run by the lines animated kids’ movie, but it’s not. It’s clever, funny, not cheesy, even though there’s still a fewWow! A lot better than I thought this would be. Going into this animated film, this could have been the standard, generic run by the lines animated kids’ movie, but it’s not. It’s clever, funny, not cheesy, even though there’s still a few childish moments and all-out fun. I mean, James Bond meets pigeons and animation? Come on. It’s a weird concept in itself but does such a great job of making it interesting and amusing. The only complaint would be the underused villain, Killian, actually. I did appreciate that the filmmakers went with a more “villain in the shadows” concept, but it may have worked out better if there was more screen time for Ben Mendelsohn’s character. Overall, it’s visually charming, headed by a great cast, with quirky and fun aspects in a very digestible format of animation. Expand
BrunoVn00Dec 25, 2019
It's pretty good overall. It's very entertaining and really funny at times, but not much else. At times, the humor was really good. Sure, not all jokes were funny but the humor was consistently good. Many characters were paper thin and didn'tIt's pretty good overall. It's very entertaining and really funny at times, but not much else. At times, the humor was really good. Sure, not all jokes were funny but the humor was consistently good. Many characters were paper thin and didn't really had any personality or actual character, but the leads (Lance and Walter, the Will Smith and Tom Holland characters) were fine, I guess. They are likeable and develop a good dynamic, but there wasn't a lot to talk about their character or personalities. They were just fine. The villain was boring and his backstory and motivation is very predictable and uncreative. The movie has an interesting and creative concept but, while the execution was fine...It was just nothing special. There are some clichés here and there and some predictable plot points and missed opportunities, but that doesn't ruin the movie, honestly. In terms of animation, I don't feel that there was anything special. It looks just like any other 3D animated movie out there. Of course it looks good but nothing special or clever.

Overall, this was a good movie. Not average, not below average, not great, and of course it isn't among the best of the year, but I feel that it is a fun family movie worth watching. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't watch all the trailers! Pretty much the trailers spoil 99.9% of the best jokes and will ruin your experience because you when they happen they won't catch you off guard like it happened to me.
Kbetts16Dec 30, 2019
Another great animated film to end the year! The cast was awesome and the film was great from start to finish!
DartanimationsDec 26, 2019
Eh. The film is in my opinion an alright movie. A good way to shut your children's mouth. It's ok. But not the best animayed movie of 2019, nor of the 2010 decade. I think you ought to see other animated releases of this year, of 2019.
AB1Jan 14, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 10/10 Will Smith said that's hot
Qtina22mbDec 27, 2019
Kept me laughing the whole time even at age 27! Blue sky has really upped their game and will smith and time holland make a great duo.
Oz_MomotaroJan 6, 2020
Simple summary. Not funny. Weirdly divorced from any real sense of fun making suitable for children and adults. Oddly tone-deaf 'themes' handled badly, with completely random 'side-kicks' included as if they had been parachuted from differentSimple summary. Not funny. Weirdly divorced from any real sense of fun making suitable for children and adults. Oddly tone-deaf 'themes' handled badly, with completely random 'side-kicks' included as if they had been parachuted from different movies. Smith is unusually without charisma in this movie, and Holland like wallpaper. Only 1-2 LOL moments in an otherwise dull (when is going to finish?) animation-by-the-numbers outing. Expand
movieloverandiJan 11, 2020
Spies in disguise is far from a perfect film but its harmless family fun and has some genuinely touching moments throughout. The voice acting is great too.
AjmoviesJan 15, 2020
A fun movie. That everyone should enjoy liked it a lot.
A must see family film Rating- 83%