Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 16, 2002
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 1494 Ratings
Watch Now
NeoconTomDec 18, 2019
This was the best Star Wars film of the entire franchise, the film is nearly perfect outside of few scenes in middle of film that drag a bit.
2022BurElDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is wonderful. I may just be a nerdy fanboy who loves star wars, but I know my stuff. As a stand-alone film it would've been a disaster, so I can understand why people hated it right when it came out. But now with the third installment in the prequel trilogy being released, we really get to see Anakin grow, and I love seeing how loyal Obi-Wan stays to the Jedi order. Its nice to see how Obi-Wan questioned his master at the time Qui Gonn on his decisions, and then when Obi-Wan is Anakin's Master Andkin questions Obi-Wan. It's nice to see how they can relate because once they were both very similar in their wiseness. Now moving on to actual story plots in this film, I think that Count Dooku is a very compelling character and had some great power. The problem is the way they portrayed him in this film that I don't love because he just comes off as boring. I believe the Star Wars animated series The Clones Wars was a much better portrayal of Count Dooku. Even still no matter how much you hate this film you must admit that the epic Clone, Jedi, Droid battle is incredible. It may be filled with CGI but It still feels like you're right there. And let us not forget this film's predecessor The Phantom Menace! This film was... well a train wreck. They focused more on politics and less on what stars wars is all about, which is an insanely entertaining story and amazing special effects. I will say that the characters were written well. There are many reasons to enjoy this entertaining film and that's why I'm glad its a part of the fantastic series that is Star Wars. Expand
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
The script, acting and romantic theme are definitely pretty weak, but like The Phantom Menace, the entertaining moments and epic battle scenes topple the bad parts
DukeJonApr 7, 2016
For me the weakest of all the Star Wars films. Hayden Christensen went a long way to killing this movie on his own as his performance was so wooden. Zero chemistry between him and Natalie Portman. Even Jango Fett and a cool clone wars battleFor me the weakest of all the Star Wars films. Hayden Christensen went a long way to killing this movie on his own as his performance was so wooden. Zero chemistry between him and Natalie Portman. Even Jango Fett and a cool clone wars battle at the end of the film couldn't save it. Expand
skyminsterMay 21, 2012
Star wars: episode II: attack of the clones is alright, it's an improvement on episode I (only a small amount of an improvement, mainly because jar jar binks is hardly in it and that it has a little more action in it). The good: some excitingStar wars: episode II: attack of the clones is alright, it's an improvement on episode I (only a small amount of an improvement, mainly because jar jar binks is hardly in it and that it has a little more action in it). The good: some exciting action, good music, not much jar jar binks, clones, cool Yoda (not weird puppet). The bad: boring politics, really cheesy, terrible acting (except from Samuel l Jackson as mace windu). Expand
CriticMLTJun 5, 2016
Not the best star wars film but still an awesome film. The story of Anikin/Darth vader is really getting me curious and how it is going to evolve in episode .
JP32Mar 24, 2020
Chapter two of the Star Wars Saga is an energized and highly enjoyable two hours at the movies. A unique blockbuster of personal vision as well as high-tech fun.
CarlKarlOct 18, 2016
My personel favorite movie ever. Great character development, amazing action; never bored me for a second. I feel like this movie just gets way too much hate, I would highly recommend it to any sci-fi lover!
cforthewinNov 13, 2016
Showing an intriguing incite into how the galaxy works and how the republic fell, plus some of the greatest battles in the entire franchise makes this an enjoyable film.
MonkiReviewsJul 14, 2017
I liked it, unlike most people. The first half was a 6, the second half was a 8, so I made the final score a 7. The acting needed improvement, but wasn't terrible. The story was great and put everything together from 4-6. It is worth a watch.
samsterJan 21, 2018
Horrible acting, ok action, and ok plot.

Plot: 4.5/5
Action/ Entertainment: 3.5/5
Music/ Visuals: 4/5
Acting: 1/5
darthsoloDec 15, 2017
I used to have this as my least favorite star wars movie but attack of the clones was still a solid entry in the saga. compared to TLJ it deserves a 10.
FilipeNetoFeb 23, 2018
This film shows the beginning of rebellion movements within the Galactic Republic and the events leading up to the start of the war. Directed by George Lucas, it was written by him, in collaboration with Jonathan Hales, and count's with theThis film shows the beginning of rebellion movements within the Galactic Republic and the events leading up to the start of the war. Directed by George Lucas, it was written by him, in collaboration with Jonathan Hales, and count's with the participation of Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, Christopher Lee, Samuel L. Jackson and Ian McDiarmid, among other actors.

George Lucas has learned an important lesson from the previous film: special effects and action can make a bearable movie, but cannot make a quality movie. And it's not hard to see that the Director made an effort to ensure a more careful script this time. The script looks cleaner of expendable elements and worthless characters, and the characters exhibit much more psychological depth, particularly Anakin and Amidala. However, Lucas was unable to print passion to the loving bond that the couple starred. If there is love there, the public never see it or feel it. It seems friendship or affection, but never love so, they managed to become one of the most frigid romantic couples that cinema ever portrayed. Jar Jar continues to be a funny character but there are certain scenes when he's just stupid. The performance of the actors wasn't brilliant or inspired, with the exception of Samuel L. Jackson and Christopher Lee, who deserve congratulations, and Natalie Portman, who was not bad but could have done better. The soundtrack also does not bring anything new and does it's role with confidence. The special visual and sound effects were at the highest level, providing breathtaking action scenes and moments of great dramatic tension. The costumes, characterization and scenery were always up to the challenge, not disillusioned the most enthusiastic fans.
Daniel_NApr 27, 2019
Personally, one of my favorites of the franchise. I really like the chemistry and Bonds with one another, and the epic fight in the middle of the movie, and along with the evolution of Anakin to Vader.
NightElvesApr 11, 2019
I love science fiction. Epic galaxy battles. I can recommend this movie, the first 1-6 movies.
WapitikevMar 11, 2019
Torpedoing a decent movie, the cringe dialogue and wooden acting between Padme and Anakin seems written by someone who's never watched (or had in real life) a romance. One of Natalie Portman's worst performances. Still, a lot to like here,Torpedoing a decent movie, the cringe dialogue and wooden acting between Padme and Anakin seems written by someone who's never watched (or had in real life) a romance. One of Natalie Portman's worst performances. Still, a lot to like here, though. Still a far better movie than TLJ. Expand
MikeC160May 24, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really do not see all the hate for this movie. There are too many trolls out there that are so upset because it doesn’t compare to the originals. Do not let that deter your from watching it. Of course the movies do not compare to the originals they are prequels!

The good:
1. The action scenes on Geonosis
2. The fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett both on Kamino and in space
3. The chase for stopping Zam from escaping
4. The subtleties of Chancellor receiving emergency powers is quite similar to how Hitler obtained dictatorial powers
5. The first intense meeting between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett
6. Count Dooku Vs Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda

7. The scene Anakin slaughters the Tusken Raiders signals his vulnerability to the dark side

The bad:
1. The romance drags on at times 2. The lines between Anakin and Padmé are cheesy but a lot of lines from the movies are cheesy
3. The reliance on CGI is quite noticeable

Again the movie isn’t perfect but none of them are as they all have flaws.
StelcontarOct 24, 2019
Excellent action and cgi. Expands the Star Wars universe with interesting new places and explains more of the back story for episodes 4-6.
MaksymilianDec 21, 2019
This is my favorite episode on this saga. It's my childhood's favorite movie.
TreeHeadMay 4, 2020
The story line is amazing and is a must watch for anyone who has not seen yet. Hayden Christensen did such an amazing job!
Dostoyevsky3May 8, 2020
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones is a pretty weak entry, but can still be enjoyed by the cringe infested dialogue in the average romance. The action, Ewan Mcgregor's performance, and the continuity of the prequel trilogy are cool to.
DBPirate1129Apr 25, 2015
SKIP TO THE END FOR REVIEW SUMMARY.

Attack of the Clones, like its predecessor, is yet another highly controversial and underrated installment in the Star Wars saga. The movie is, for the most part, split between two stories. The first
SKIP TO THE END FOR REVIEW SUMMARY.

The movie is, for the most part, split between two stories. The first follows Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala which is largely a romance story. The second is a detective-esque story in which Obi-Wan Kenobi discovers two separate armies that are being built to begin the Clone Wars. Ewan McGregor's superb acting definitely makes Obi-Wan's side of the film more entertaining and mysterious, but Anakin and Padmé's story is by no means awful.

I'd be one of the first to say that the Anakin and Padmé love story has some cringe-worthy dialogue but it makes sense within the context of the universe and the characters. Anakin, a Jedi, has been taught to not love anyone and to have no emotional attachments. Obviously, he would be a little awkward when it comes to these things. Their story takes a more interesting turn when Anakin returns to his home planet in search of his mother.

The entire third act of the film is simply phenomenal. A fight with monsters in an arena, followed by the first battle of the Clone Wars, and then a lightsaber battle between Count Dooku (Christopher Lee) and Yoda really help elevate the last 45 minutes or so of the movie to among the best in Star Wars history. The first act also had some solid action and intrigue with an assassination plot against Padmé. The second act is definitely the weakest, mainly because it drags on a little.

The discovery and intrigue elements of Attack of the Clones definitely make it a great addition to the Star Wars saga. It's a little too long for my taste but other than that, I have no huge complaints.

Review was redone ahead of The Last Jedi.
SpangleNov 27, 2015
Attack of the Clones is not bad. To me, people who have a major hatred towards this film look at the originals with nostalgia glasses on. While Episodes V and VI are great, A New Hope is horrifically bad at times. Featuring awful acting andAttack of the Clones is not bad. To me, people who have a major hatred towards this film look at the originals with nostalgia glasses on. While Episodes V and VI are great, A New Hope is horrifically bad at times. Featuring awful acting and even worse special effects and writing, the original Star Wars film seems to be the basis for the prequel trilogy, as Attack of the Clones has some awful, awful writing (particularly the cringeworthy romance scenes) and some bad sequences of CGI. However, I will say that the special effects on the whole are vast improved. The acting, while not good, is nowhere near as bad as it was in the original. The original felt like amateur hour. In this one, you can tell these people are professionals, while is good. The action sequences in Attack of the Clones are all very good and the fight choreography is vast improved when compared to its predecessors. Finally, there is some killer cinematography in this one that really underscores how much time was put into making this one good. Overall, Attack of the Clones is not as good as the best of the Star Wars franchise, but is far from being the worst entry in the series. Expand
AndanteOct 31, 2016
A great movie that I enjoyed more than Force Awakens and the old trilogy combined. And not so much because of its effects and technology but the fantastic flow of the story and the world Class acting by EVERYONE...even Hayden ChristiansenA great movie that I enjoyed more than Force Awakens and the old trilogy combined. And not so much because of its effects and technology but the fantastic flow of the story and the world Class acting by EVERYONE...even Hayden Christiansen delivered some amazing moments and had obviously great potential as an actor. His slow transition into the Dark Side is perfectly presented. Ian Mac Diarmid (Palpatine), Evan McGregor and Cristopher Lee deliver fantastic emotions and AAA+ acting. I consider this along with Episode 3 the most mature Star Wars film. I dont understand why this movie has a 6.0 user score. It just doesnt make sense. Expand
TheDude-Dec 9, 2015
Attack of the clones is the second installment in the star wars prequel trilogy saga, I will start off by saying that attack of the clones could have been a could have been a fantastic movie it just needed a few tweaks for example if theAttack of the clones is the second installment in the star wars prequel trilogy saga, I will start off by saying that attack of the clones could have been a could have been a fantastic movie it just needed a few tweaks for example if the relationship between Anakin and Padme was not written so awkwardly, if they didn't write Anakin like such a brat and if they had have put a bit more focus on the character building and we also could have used a lot more of Obi Wan Kenobi as he is the best character in the prequels, it could have been great, but that's not to say AOTC is terrible the action sequences are a lot of fun to watch and are well crafted, Ewan McGregor is brilliant as Obi Wan giving a lot of wit, sarcasm and bad assitude to the character and not to mention the movie has beautifully conceived landscapes and cinematography.
Verdict: Attack of the clones is aesthetically pleasing as it does have some great action sequences and cinematography and obi wan's sarcastic humour is very well written but the characters and story are nowhere near as fleshed out as I would have liked them to have been.
bimmybob2001Aug 3, 2018
Easily the Worst Film in the "Star Wars" Universe. a boring Story that goes on Forever, Makes Anakin Skywalker look like a Miserable Shell of a Human, and even Ruins Yoda by having him do all those Cheesey Flips in a fight scene. shoeing usEasily the Worst Film in the "Star Wars" Universe. a boring Story that goes on Forever, Makes Anakin Skywalker look like a Miserable Shell of a Human, and even Ruins Yoda by having him do all those Cheesey Flips in a fight scene. shoeing us how Stupid we were for Wanting it. Expand
DavidLammyDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If I was head of LucasFilm, I'd officially call this film the '3rd best Star Wars movie ever'. Dooku makes a superb thought provoking anti-hero who shows he's more than capable of holding his own against youngsters which I love so much as it shows that the elderly can identify themselves to be strong and powerful if they want. The beauty of Coruscant at night was mesmerising, every time I watch the bar scene I always get drunk and happy, it's such a great scene which encourages people to have so much fun so it's a great thing. The beauty of the Outlander Club in the film makes me so sexually aroused. There's loads of intelligent aliens in this film which promotes that diversity is a true strength, with many sexy aliens there as well. It could've been better though if Anakin found his Mother and brutally sexually abused her fat butt, his Mother should've liked the sex eventually before killing her because she selfishly gave him up to strangers and didn't bother visiting him for 10 years. The sex scene between Anakin and his Mother would've also helped promote that it's okay to have sex with your Mum as everyone's the same anyway, if everyone wasn't the same diversity wouldn't be a strength. And killing her like that would show that Anakin is normal and doesn't care about people who are closely genetically related to him more than people who aren't closely genetically related to him. Due to George Lucas, Anakin's a racist who treated his evil Mother far more nicely than what her fat butt deserved. Expand
CharlieW.Feb 21, 2006
The only good thing I can say about this movie is that Jar-Jar is not in it... thank god...
7 of 10 users found this helpful
AndyS.May 17, 2002
So bad as to beggar the imagination. Bad as in dull, soul-numbing bad, not as in campy, amusing bad. That's right, folks, it's another massive eruption of anti-art from the bottomless well of idiot's drool otherwise known as So bad as to beggar the imagination. Bad as in dull, soul-numbing bad, not as in campy, amusing bad. That's right, folks, it's another massive eruption of anti-art from the bottomless well of idiot's drool otherwise known as Hollywood. The theater was pulsing with energy; spontaneous cheers went up at the appearance of the Lucasfilms logo. The next audience sound, other than low, embarrassed laughter, happened more than two hours later (when Yoda .....). The rest was silence. As we were filing out past the incoming crowd of victims, one was heard to comment, "They don't look happy." We were not happy. Don't waste your time and money on this garbage; and please help discourage Mr. Lucas from committing further aesthetic war crimes by mercilessly ridiculing him and any of his blind, tone-deaf, mentally-challenged supporters. Expand
2 of 3 users found this helpful
TokyochuchuApr 29, 2013
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones has the biggest problem of any of the Star Wars films. Namely the romance between Padme and Anakin. Anakin spends most of the movie sneering and acting like a bottled up psychopath... And yet we'reStar Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones has the biggest problem of any of the Star Wars films. Namely the romance between Padme and Anakin. Anakin spends most of the movie sneering and acting like a bottled up psychopath... And yet we're supposed to swallow that someone as smart as a senator falls head over heels in love with him? Unconvincing to say the least. Aside from that, however, Attack of the Clones impresses with some great action scenes, a terrific final reel and an appearance from Christopher Lee. Which pretty much balances things out in the long run. Expand
ReviewerMan44Jul 1, 2011
Attack of the Clones is much better than the Phantom Menace, undoubtedly the worst Star Wars ever made. But its not a New Hope, an Empire Strikes Back, or even a Return of the Jedi...sadly. Attack of the Clones succeeds in many areas butAttack of the Clones is much better than the Phantom Menace, undoubtedly the worst Star Wars ever made. But its not a New Hope, an Empire Strikes Back, or even a Return of the Jedi...sadly. Attack of the Clones succeeds in many areas but fails in many more. As said with the Phantom Menace review, the key things that made the original trilogy so magical were its story and characters, universe, and the good acting. Attack of the Clones ties together many, many loose ends lying around with the series, and brings in adult Anakin Skywalker played by Hayden Christensen, who is ultimately dull and boring as an actor and feels sadly even worse than his younger version seen in the Phantom Menace.
Ewan McGregor is however, much better in AotC than Phantom Menace, seeing an overall stronger performance. Natalie Portman has improved slightly too, but still gives a bit of a "I'm only here to fill in the role" look off. The performances are overall average, and nothing compared to the original trilogy.
The characters are interesting and while Jar-Jar Binks is briefly seen we don't have to deal with his abomination of a character on screen for long. We see Boba Fett's father, the birth of the stormtroopers, and Anakin Skywalker's looming fate, and its all very great. The new CGI produced Yoda and other aliens makes the experience all the more realistic and is cool.
But when it adds up for what it is, AotC is still a very, very, very flawed piece of work, that while action packed and fun, lacks the flair or audacity of the original three, and what made them so great.
YellowKirbyDec 19, 2015
Like 'Phantom', this entry in the beloved 'Star Wars' saga is too much like a video game, and has a terrible script. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman were wooden,and Ewan McGregor wasn't much better.

The unnatural romance between

The unnatural romance between Anakin and Padme is probably the film's biggest weakness. It portrays Anakin as a creepy stalker, and the script makes it worse. "I don't like sand."

Finally, it's too goddamn long! The war scene at the end becomes so boring, it's easy to lose track of who the hell is who and where the hell they are.

So, while defiantly an improvement on 'Phantom,' story-wise (but only marginally), Attack of the Clones doesn't do this beloved saga much justice.
Aaron_WassermanMay 31, 2016
A slight improvement over Episode I. Still a poor movie. Written with horrible dialogue, bad effects, stupid plot, bad acting. It really is just a mess. The main part of the movie, the love between Anakin and Padme, is just terrible.
seanreneauMay 20, 2018
Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars movie yet it boasts awful performances and bad chemistry from Padme and Anakin.
smashbro1999Mar 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The locations are memorable and interesting; the craggy canyons of Geonosis and the torrential storms of Kamino were immediately imprinted in my head when I first saw them. The CGI strengthens the film-the action sequences look amazing, from the speeder chase at the film's beginning, to the ending confrontation between the Jedi and Count Dooku. Seeing Yoda finally whip out his lightsaber and fight was very exciting. I don't get why people complain about him jumping around during the fight, though; such acrobatics show an interesting contrast between Yoda's age, and his actual power in the Force, and skill in lightsaber combat. No one would expect a 874-year-old green troll to have such mobility. Each of the planets is a representation of what is happening on the planet. Coruscant is shrouded in fog, Kamino is shrouded in mystery, and Geonosis is shrouded in violence; each is part of the shroud of the dark side that is ever-present in the film-in one of the main characters, and in the events that move the story along. I liked the characters of Obi-Wan, Padmé, and Anakin, as well as each of the conflicts and struggles they faced in the film. Again, I didn't get the accusations of "wooden" acting and "boring" characters. When watching the film, I believed that the characters were the characters, not actors playing characters. Lucas delivered another good screenplay, with some help from Jonathan Hales, and the politics-as well as the machinations of the Sith, and the slow erosion of the Republic-are fantastically done. Not only that, but the characters are believable and realistic for the situations they are placed in. The romance between Anakin and Padmé has been ridiculed for being "cheesy" and "clichéd," but I think the moments and dialogue between them are perfect for their situation, as well as the universe that they live in. Besides, I love a romance between "star-crossed" lovers. Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones is a wonderfully-done film, and it is certainly worth your time to watch the second episode of the Star Wars saga. Expand
R.SmithJul 21, 2007
What was George Lucas thinking? Has he completely lost his mind? As a long time Star Wars fan, this movie was so disappointing. The acting is awful, downright awful, and the plot has nothing going for it. The only good things about it were What was George Lucas thinking? Has he completely lost his mind? As a long time Star Wars fan, this movie was so disappointing. The acting is awful, downright awful, and the plot has nothing going for it. The only good things about it were the light-saber fight at the end with Yoda, and that Jar Jar Binks wasn't in it. What a waste of talent, and expectation. Expand
3 of 5 users found this helpful
SatiricalewokNov 9, 2014
This is without a doubt the worst of the six star wars films. The action is way too sporadic, and Hayden Christensen cannot act for toast. Having said that there is one good scene, but one good action scene does not a good movie create, andThis is without a doubt the worst of the six star wars films. The action is way too sporadic, and Hayden Christensen cannot act for toast. Having said that there is one good scene, but one good action scene does not a good movie create, and this is not a good movie. It also doesn't really explain or add to the overall storyline very much so you might as well just skip this one. Expand
ReubenIsAGodDec 17, 2015
Its awful. It's just gross and unwatchable. Acting is wooden, action is lacking. Don't watch this film.
DanBurritoSep 25, 2015
This is a joke right? Here is absolute proof that less Jar Jar doesn't necessarily equal good movie. What I wanna know is, who the €&@/ wrote the script? They weren't even TRYING! And furthermore, it's almost impossible to get over the factThis is a joke right? Here is absolute proof that less Jar Jar doesn't necessarily equal good movie. What I wanna know is, who the €&@/ wrote the script? They weren't even TRYING! And furthermore, it's almost impossible to get over the fact that Anakin was a child when Padmè was already an adult making their romance just creepy. Combine this with the fact that they have no chemistry (their so-called "love story" revolves around Anakin stalking her and becoming possessive of her) and it gets even worse. This is the WORST movie in the prequel trilogy- in fact, make that the whole franchise. Expand
Movie-BuffDec 29, 2017
Attack of the Clones is the weakest of the prequel trilogy, but only because it tried to do so much in such a short space of time. It also was wholly different than any Star Wars that had come before or since. Because of the extreme risks theAttack of the Clones is the weakest of the prequel trilogy, but only because it tried to do so much in such a short space of time. It also was wholly different than any Star Wars that had come before or since. Because of the extreme risks the film took - in both story & style, and in the way it was filmed - it stumbles sometimes. Still, it is a fantastic piece of the Saga and far better than anything Disney has created. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
George Lucas, similar to "The Phantom Menace", doesn't really give anything except for a high quality CGI battle in "Attack of the Clones".
gdiego135Dec 5, 2015
It may be all cgi but hey it's still worth watching, definitely an improvement from the first one "phantom menace" especially the huge jedi battle AWESOME, all the lightsaber action is great, and all the new jedi's even though a lot of theIt may be all cgi but hey it's still worth watching, definitely an improvement from the first one "phantom menace" especially the huge jedi battle AWESOME, all the lightsaber action is great, and all the new jedi's even though a lot of the cool one's don't have a big part in the movie, they're still pretty cool. This is a must watch for star wars fans. And all the people saying this movie is bad is honestly just trying to act like a 1970's fanboy copying whatever other people say negative about the prequels. Expand
NecromusDec 4, 2012
Still nowhere near as good as any movie in the original trilogy, but unlike Episode I, at least this one is actually watchable if you can put up with the lame dialog. It's a mediocre movie but there are some really cool scenes in it so I haveStill nowhere near as good as any movie in the original trilogy, but unlike Episode I, at least this one is actually watchable if you can put up with the lame dialog. It's a mediocre movie but there are some really cool scenes in it so I have bumped it up to an 8/10. Expand
TimeOfTheChimpsMar 22, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it has some good scenes, like Shmi Skywalker's death, and the duel between Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Count Dooku, Attack of The Clones still stands as the worst of the prequel series and as the worst in the entire saga due to atrocious dialogue and horrid characterisations. Expand
TheMasiMan1Jan 22, 2016
Its just like Phantom Menace, but with less Jar Jar and more greatness! That massive Jedi battle? Awesome. Christopher Lee? Sweet. Hayden Christiensen? Well... he looks just like what I thought but his acting? Eeh... its okay I guess. CGIIts just like Phantom Menace, but with less Jar Jar and more greatness! That massive Jedi battle? Awesome. Christopher Lee? Sweet. Hayden Christiensen? Well... he looks just like what I thought but his acting? Eeh... its okay I guess. CGI Yoda? Looks better than the Phantom Menace one! Those massive battles? Great. Origin story of Boba Fett? Not so great.

Overall: Great movie, go see it.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Ten years after the events in "The Phantom Menace," Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi (McGregor) and Anakin Sywalker (Christensen) are summoned to protect Padme Amidala (Portman) after an assassination attempt is made on her life. Anakin's love of AmidalaTen years after the events in "The Phantom Menace," Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi (McGregor) and Anakin Sywalker (Christensen) are summoned to protect Padme Amidala (Portman) after an assassination attempt is made on her life. Anakin's love of Amidala grows when the pair returns to Naboo, and Obi-Wan's investigation of the death plot reveals sinister designs that threaten to bring the Galactic Republic to the brink of war. Expand
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
[Portuguese] Como o primeiro, este filme é um pouco chato porém há bastante ação e explica a criação dos clones, então é um filme que tem suas partes interessantes.
therealcritic79Aug 10, 2015
As many have stated before me, this movie is not perfect. I know it gets a lot of hate. However, I really enjoyed this movie. I think it has great special effects and the story it pretty entertaining, except for some of the love parts. TheAs many have stated before me, this movie is not perfect. I know it gets a lot of hate. However, I really enjoyed this movie. I think it has great special effects and the story it pretty entertaining, except for some of the love parts. The dialogue is also very basic and just doesn't always work. But there is still enough to enjoy in this entry, like the scenes with lightsabers and obi wan. Don't believe what the critics are saying and go see it for yourself. Expand
J0eJan 15, 2016
Why do so many people dislike this movie. There are only two bad actors and 4 bad characters but it has great characters we have seen before and some awesome new characters a good story and less Jar Jar Kit Fisto, Jango Fett, Obi-Wan, andWhy do so many people dislike this movie. There are only two bad actors and 4 bad characters but it has great characters we have seen before and some awesome new characters a good story and less Jar Jar Kit Fisto, Jango Fett, Obi-Wan, and Anakin are awesome despite Anakin not having the best acting well voice acting his facial acting is very good and the movie has good fight scenes and 3 awesome bad guys and once again 2 bad ones but they are from the last movie. Overall it is a great movie and has some flaws. Expand
billJul 15, 2009
For me this was the worst of the six star wars movies. As a matter of fact I wouldn't call it a movie until the last 20 minutes. The begining and middle of this film was boring and predictable. Only the dule between Dooku and Yoda saved For me this was the worst of the six star wars movies. As a matter of fact I wouldn't call it a movie until the last 20 minutes. The begining and middle of this film was boring and predictable. Only the dule between Dooku and Yoda saved this movie from being a big fat 0. But even then it was to little to late. Expand
2 of 4 users found this helpful
BrowniePointsJan 3, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just a great movie! It's a very welcomed comeback to star wars, after the childish Phantom Menace. I think it is probably my favourite of the new trilogy because Revenge of the sith is a lot darker (not that it's a bad thing but I like it when the clones are on the Republic's side.) Expand
oxward321May 10, 2011
"Attack of the Clones" again WOW! Anakin's confession to Padme about the Tusken Raiders, that scene really hit a high note for me, I had NO doubt he killed them, well done Hayden! I love the whole Coruscant part of the film, the chase through"Attack of the Clones" again WOW! Anakin's confession to Padme about the Tusken Raiders, that scene really hit a high note for me, I had NO doubt he killed them, well done Hayden! I love the whole Coruscant part of the film, the chase through the city, Dex's dinner great little scene. Kamino, the Cloud City of the PT. Even the love story, yes love story I really enjoy. Very underrated. I'm glad Lucas chose to tell the love story in an old fashion courtly manner, instead of the typical uninteresting banter of Han and Leia . The last 50min. "WOW" the most intense ground battle of the Saga, once they get to the droid factory until the Yoda/Dooku fight, pure bliss. In fact, Episode II is the film I watch THE most! LOVE IT! Expand
dharmaJun 9, 2012
All in all, a better film than the Phantom Menace. Great action sequences, weird, fan fiction quality plotting, pacing again is still off. The so called love story between Padme and Anakin felt contrived. But still Lucas fails to createAll in all, a better film than the Phantom Menace. Great action sequences, weird, fan fiction quality plotting, pacing again is still off. The so called love story between Padme and Anakin felt contrived. But still Lucas fails to create that 'magic' from the original Star Wars trilogy. Expand
ryflemanJan 7, 2012
To say that Christenson and Portman had chemistry is like saying a chair on top of another chair is romance. And to say this is a good movie is like calling a drawing of said stacked chairs porn.
GreatbealloFeb 8, 2012
The original trilogy was thought provoking, original, and memorable. This trilogy is mind numbing, recycled, and forgettable. Although this movie is better than episode I, it still lacks nearly everything that I loved about the originals.The original trilogy was thought provoking, original, and memorable. This trilogy is mind numbing, recycled, and forgettable. Although this movie is better than episode I, it still lacks nearly everything that I loved about the originals. Anikan is such a **** The love story is stale. The plot is thin. This movie had some great ideas, but they were executed with clumsiness. Lucas should have hired some decent writers to help him, then perhaps we wouldn't have to struggle through the cliched dialogue. All in all there were some great action sequences, and Natalie Portman is always nice to look at, but this movie was not a success, and is insulting to the original trilogy. Expand
Thatonenerd2187Dec 11, 2016
Star wars attack of the clones has the same problems as the first one, but with less jar jar binks. However, the dialogue
is extremely terrible and is even worse than the phantom menace, and even the lightsaber fight was terrible.
matta.Oct 20, 2005
I hadn't seen this since the theaters over three years ago, and I remeber it being pretty bad then, but wow, last night when I decided to go back and see just how bad it was, boy was I treated to one of most shitty films in recent I hadn't seen this since the theaters over three years ago, and I remeber it being pretty bad then, but wow, last night when I decided to go back and see just how bad it was, boy was I treated to one of most shitty films in recent memory. With Lucas, it's a given that the dialogue, acting, and story are going to be bad, but even the visuals were terribly shoddy. During some scenes I seriously thought that I was watching "Shrek 2." I used to think that this and the first of the prequels were about on par, but this one is without a doubt worse (Menace is still only a 3 mind you). Even taking this for what it is, a fantasy, sci-fi film, it is terrible. Diehard nerds may enjoy this poor excuse for filmmaking, but everyone else needs to stay away. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
PaxsterSep 18, 2010
The 2nd prequel does the job but offers little else. Obviously, the more screen time for Yoda,C3PO AND R2D2 is a plus but this is balanced out by poor acting from Christiensen and Portman. So,the acting is about a 5. However, the effects areThe 2nd prequel does the job but offers little else. Obviously, the more screen time for Yoda,C3PO AND R2D2 is a plus but this is balanced out by poor acting from Christiensen and Portman. So,the acting is about a 5. However, the effects are brilliant and are probably worthy of a 9 (possibly a 10 if I was reviewing this back in 2002). So, overall a 7. Not classic and not the best but still worthy of a watch,if only 1. Expand
J42HmusicDec 9, 2011
Despite the improvement from its disastrous predocessor, 'Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones' offers little more than CGI and a feeble storyline. Yes, the battles are absolutley incredible, but it lacks a certain substance which givesDespite the improvement from its disastrous predocessor, 'Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones' offers little more than CGI and a feeble storyline. Yes, the battles are absolutley incredible, but it lacks a certain substance which gives a film emotional depth. However, brilliant music and battle scenes make the film incredibly exciting, resulting in nothing more than an average film. Expand
HalfwelshmanOct 9, 2011
The Phantom Menace wasn't an awful film, and neither is Attack of the Clones, but by-golly it comes close. The acting is even more wooden than in Episode I, the story even less engaging, and guess what? Lucas still can't do dialogue. HaydenThe Phantom Menace wasn't an awful film, and neither is Attack of the Clones, but by-golly it comes close. The acting is even more wooden than in Episode I, the story even less engaging, and guess what? Lucas still can't do dialogue. Hayden Christiansen sets a whole new standard for drab lead performances. He takes the mopey teenager thing to the extreme (despite the fact he's in his twenties) and the so-called "love" scenes between Anakin and Padme are laughable. Soppy doesn't come close, these scenes are almost unwatchable (especially Anakin comparing his sweetheart to sand). Ewan MacGregor admirably soldiers on through the poor excuse for a script, and does so sporting a fine space-mullet. There is undeniably a lot wrong with Episode II, but it does have a few good points. Temuera Morrison is the very definition of cool, and all scenes featuring Jango Fett are entertaining. The Geonosis area fight featuring an army of Jedi is also a true spectacle. Finally, we get to see Yoda draw a lightsabre for the first time. Fans were divided over whether this is a good or bad thing. I believe the former - Yoda bouncing around like an angry jumping bean with a sword is awesome. Attack of the Clones moves the Star Wars saga dangerously close to parody through the poor quality of the script, acting and story, but somehow, Lucas still managed to make it enjoyable...but only just. Expand
VulcanDec 24, 2017
As a Star Wars film under Lucas, probably his worst. As a Star Wars film in general, still very original and good (a whole landslide better than TLJ)
ZatchCMMJan 29, 2012
I enjoy Star Wars but this one is IMO the worst Film of the series (Not the entire franchise that goes to the holiday special) while the effects are nice the Romance crap just hurts Mr.Lucas you can't write dialogue so stop trying to, alsoI enjoy Star Wars but this one is IMO the worst Film of the series (Not the entire franchise that goes to the holiday special) while the effects are nice the Romance crap just hurts Mr.Lucas you can't write dialogue so stop trying to, also the pace is abysmal even as a kid I wanted little Jedi Annie and Padme to shut up so I can get to a well done Lightsaber fight. The acting by our romancing characters makes me want to hurl it's up to Ewan McGreggor, Samuel L. Jackson and Count Dracula himself Christopher Lee to salvage the thing but alas the were unable to. Expand
CooterPatooterMar 7, 2012
From the arena scene until the end credits represent one of the most amazingly fun and exciting 40ish minutes I've ever seen on a theater screen. From the opening of the film until the start of the arena scene represents one of the mostFrom the arena scene until the end credits represent one of the most amazingly fun and exciting 40ish minutes I've ever seen on a theater screen. From the opening of the film until the start of the arena scene represents one of the most stilted, badly acted, face-palmingly awful drags I've ever seen on a theater screen. A sizable improvement over the monkey-at-a-typewriter bull crap that was Episode 1 but this is still in a galaxy far, far away from the original trilogy. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
Vastly underrated amongst critics and fans, the Attack of the Clones is one of George Lucas' finest achievements in cinematic history. The story here is spellbinding and, when back with modern era technologies, the visuals have never lookedVastly underrated amongst critics and fans, the Attack of the Clones is one of George Lucas' finest achievements in cinematic history. The story here is spellbinding and, when back with modern era technologies, the visuals have never looked this good. Natalie Portman and Ewan MacGregor prove their potential and worth alongside veterans such as Christopher Lee and Samuel L. Jackson. Expand
potatoes351Oct 31, 2012
Ill give this film the benefit of the doubt...it had some good action scenes. Now onto the second major event in Anakins turning to the dark side comes his love for Padme Amidala and the death of his mother. Attack of the Clones highlightsIll give this film the benefit of the doubt...it had some good action scenes. Now onto the second major event in Anakins turning to the dark side comes his love for Padme Amidala and the death of his mother. Attack of the Clones highlights how the clone wars began and how Anakin first started to break the Jedi order. Again good special effects but poor execution from the once great George Lucas. Expand
gzayas91Dec 21, 2014
Another Lucas's good sequel, it has chemistry of Anakin and Padme, interesting story of the beginnig of the clone wars, acting is fine, the cg is good and looks updated, best fight sequence of yoda and Dooku.
woodelfFeb 10, 2016
so bad I've never managed to watch the whole movie, never resisted until the ending and I've tried twice. One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, and I'm 44.
Awful screenplay, flat characters, a lot of unintentional humor.
aadityamudharApr 6, 2016
A major disappointment for a life long Star Wars fan. "Clones" has a bad, uninspired screenplay that earns snickers from the audience, especially Anakin and Padme's romance. The Anakin and Padme romance abuses the audience with so many oneA major disappointment for a life long Star Wars fan. "Clones" has a bad, uninspired screenplay that earns snickers from the audience, especially Anakin and Padme's romance. The Anakin and Padme romance abuses the audience with so many one line cliches I now call the movie "Attack of the Well-Worn Cliches." I don't know whether to blame the actors or the lousy screenplay writing for the quality of the acting. The movie also looks terrible because Lucas insisted on recording it in digital. Digital simply does not have the resolution of film and it really shows in "Clones." It's a pity because the movie would be great to look at otherwise, as Episode I was. I've seen "Clones" in both film and Digital and no matter how you look at it, it does not look as good as past Star Wars movies. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Unlike with the Phantom Menace, this prequel actually has us excited. Thanks to two great plots switching back and forth for the majority of 'attack of the clones,' audiences can actually begin to feel tense or expectant. What'sWHAT I LIKED: Unlike with the Phantom Menace, this prequel actually has us excited. Thanks to two great plots switching back and forth for the majority of 'attack of the clones,' audiences can actually begin to feel tense or expectant. What's more is there's LOTS more action in place of people sitting and talking space rubbish.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's just so dragged out thanks to politics that'd baffle any non Star Wars fans, poor writing and one 45 minute explosion of CGI action at the end. Plus why Lucas feels the need for the injection of such awful humor is ridiculous.
VERDICT: Not as dull as it's predecessor, 'Attack of the clones' is fairly good until the third act where it's just senseless action.
stevenschatzFeb 28, 2018
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones is an significant improvement from its predecessor, however, still fails to reach the quality of the original films. The movie drags on a lot in the beginning, but picks up in the second act with far moreStar Wars: Attack of the Clones is an significant improvement from its predecessor, however, still fails to reach the quality of the original films. The movie drags on a lot in the beginning, but picks up in the second act with far more action than The Phantom Menace. However, the film suffers greatly from Hayden Christensen's bad acting and tons of cringey conversations between Anakin and Padme during their unnecessary subplot. The only way the film regresses in terms of action is with the lightsaber duels: they were short and anti-climactic. The film does have some level of suspense, which was largely absent from The Phantom Menace, and a pretty good story. I never found myself confused or falling asleep while watching the movie. Also, there are much fewer politics in this movie and the few political conversations that are there are short and easy to follow. Overall, George Lucas has learned from his mistakes in The Phantom Menace (mostly) and gave us a pretty good Star Wars film.

Verdict:
Sound/Visuals - 4.5/5
Plot/Characters - 4/5
Structure - 4/5
Acting - 2/5
Overall - 3.63/5 = 73%
robertoiglesiasApr 23, 2020
This film finally gets to the start of the Clone Wars, Anakin and Obi-Wan's strong friendship, Anakin and Padme's romance, and his anger foreshadowing his transition. So why is this worse than The Phantom Menace then?
Because there's a bunch
Because there's a bunch of political talks, pointless moments, awful acting, terrible writing, more characters that aren't interesting, and more.
But this one is straight up boring! You think with a name of "Attack of the Clones" and interesting visuals, you think you'd get an entertaining film. But surprisingly no! 3/10
SheidcraftApr 11, 2018
benskylerhillMay 21, 2018
Everyone who saw The Phantom Menace had at least some problems with it, and those were voiced. So, when the time came to produce the second installment in the prequel trilogy, George Lucas listened to the audience...when it came to one thing:Everyone who saw The Phantom Menace had at least some problems with it, and those were voiced. So, when the time came to produce the second installment in the prequel trilogy, George Lucas listened to the audience...when it came to one thing: Jar-jar Binks has a minor role with only about three minutes of screen time in Attack of the Clones. That's it. Everything else about Episode II is about as bad as, if not worse than, it is in Episode I.

To be fair, Attack also has the same positives as Phantom: namely, the backbone of a compelling story and certain scenes of groundbreaking visual effects. The plot develops quite well in Episode II as the Jedi inadvertently set forth the chain of events that will eventually lead to their own demise. On paper, it is a tragic, sobering reflection on the transparent, elusive nature of government corruption and the dangers of blind trust. But in practice, it's a complete disaster. With the exception of portions of Ewen McGregor and Christopher Lee's performances, every actor in this film performs with the charisma of participants in a middle school play. And it doesn't help that the dialogue that they're given is often unrealistic and forced, not to mention laughably cringe-worthy. Political drama only works if dialogue flows as it would in real life and actors effectively portray human fear and weakness. There is none of that here, and the potential-filled narrative falls to pieces.

The visual effects in Attack of the Clones are quite an improvement over those in The Phantom Menace, but there's unfortunately far too heavy of a reliance upon them here, even heavier than there was in Phantom. Nearly the entirety of the last act of the movie is constructed with CGI, and it feels like a cartoon because it's used even when it's not even remotely necessary. There is not a single physically constructed droid, alien creature, or even clone trooper. They couldn't even find actors to play the clone troopers? Many of the sets aren't even real. Entire rooms are built with computers, and when it's clear that the characters aren't living in a real world, it's difficult to find a reason to care about that world.

Star Wars: Episode II is an unfortunate disaster. There are some saving qualities it possesses, like the humorous banter between R2-D2 and C3PO and the all-too-short but brilliantly conceived scene where Anakin briefly turns to darkness following a moment of personal tragedy. But what little greatness is does boast is overshadowed by poorly constructed, unconvincing sets, juvenile acting and dialogue, and boring storytelling methods that fail to bring this galaxy to life.

Story: 4
Acting: 2.5
Script: 2
Visuals/Sound: 5
Entertainment Value: 4

OVERALL SCORE: 3.5/10
LivingTribunalMay 18, 2018
Better, but still in last film's dilemma, but I was just happy to see Yoda fighting as a Star Wars fan.
anala1010Jul 27, 2018
Absolutely amazing! Love all the aspects of this film! The romance, the light saber duels, the characters, everything! The story line is captivating and there are plot twists at every turn
JHarrisFeb 26, 2019
Probably the weakest of the prequels, but still very watchable and infinitely better than the sequels.
adriantorresAug 6, 2019
This movie is so boring
the acting sucked ass
The is the worst part of the movie is the fighting
MScorseseMar 27, 2020
I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like this movie. In thins movie, everything is soft and smooth.

If you know how to have fun watching a movie, it doesn't get much better then this.
DustinS.May 15, 2002
This is the definitive movie of Lucas's new Trilogy. It entails all of the classic elements of a great Star Wars movie, everything from great action, interesting politics, to the backbone love story. This movie returns the warmth that This is the definitive movie of Lucas's new Trilogy. It entails all of the classic elements of a great Star Wars movie, everything from great action, interesting politics, to the backbone love story. This movie returns the warmth that always seemed to accompany one when viewing the old trilogy, and that is a great thing. Expand
3 of 7 users found this helpful
ascoltami86May 29, 2013
I wanted to see more starfighters battle scenes than lightsaber battle scenes like Millennium Falcon from Return of the Jedi. I don't really like lightsaber. I like Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire than the movies.
I wanted Jamison Jones
I wanted Jamison Jones to be in the movie.
I don't like when there are too many people,aliens in the scene, like The Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight Rises.
Characters were quite boring, I wanted to see characters with make-up, mask on, human form Alien, 4 leg aliens, monsters.
Longbottom94Apr 25, 2013
Even with the reduced Jar-Jar Binks screen time, Lucas' grueling, emo space opera some how achieves the dubious achievement of being worse than 'The Phantom Menace'. Even Though episode 1 was a bad movie, it contained a couple entertainingEven with the reduced Jar-Jar Binks screen time, Lucas' grueling, emo space opera some how achieves the dubious achievement of being worse than 'The Phantom Menace'. Even Though episode 1 was a bad movie, it contained a couple entertaining scenes e.g. The Pod race and The final duel. Episode 2 has the infuriating dilemma of having absolutely no engaging, memorable or even slightly entertaining scenes. Even the Yoda light saber scene reeks of desperate fan pleasing Expand
Jack97Jan 1, 2014
A step down from The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones has an over usage of effects (although they're decent) and still doesn't capture the same Star Wars feel the original trilogy had.
oDjentoJan 2, 2015
I'd say this is the worst film of the franchise. It's got Anakin being a menstrual little b---h, and hardly any redeeming scenes unlike the last film. Christopher is a cool character as Count Dooku, but doesn't come close to Darth Maul. TheI'd say this is the worst film of the franchise. It's got Anakin being a menstrual little b---h, and hardly any redeeming scenes unlike the last film. Christopher is a cool character as Count Dooku, but doesn't come close to Darth Maul. The CGI gets a bit over used in this film making some scenes look a bit ridiculous at times. The main memorable scenes from this film i'd say would be when Obi goes to Kamino, and the collesium fight. But even jango Fett's introduction isn't great, nowhere near as badass as Jango Fett's previous helmet always on performance. And trying to be impressive finally showing yoda fighting doesn't work, the fight seems unpracticale to watch in this film as it's just lots of jumping around Dooku mainly. I still like this film because i love star wars, but this is the only one i'd call average. Expand
PahnJan 21, 2012
Lucas should've stuck with the muppets used in episodes IV - VI instead of the green screen CG characters. There's an obvious disconnect between the living breathing actors and those who are digitally created to the point it's justLucas should've stuck with the muppets used in episodes IV - VI instead of the green screen CG characters. There's an obvious disconnect between the living breathing actors and those who are digitally created to the point it's just uncomfortable watching those scenes. And the dialogue. WOW . "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo." Poor Natalie Portman. Expand
TheQuietGamerFeb 12, 2016
*Updated review*

*Updated review*

George Lucas delivers a visual treat. While definitely not a piece of perfect filmmaking, the seemingly always lovable Star Wars universe kept me enthralled once. With plenty of imagination, spectacle, and visual delights it's a very entertaining follow up that isn't as bad as I originally thought.

A big issue many had with The Phantom Menace was the amount of on the political side of the universe. While an ultimately necessary evil, one that I personally had no problems with, those elements are still present here. They have been toned down quite a bit though. Something many will find a blessing.

Politics are still the backbone of the story, but Lucas is using them to support the more immediate plot. With romance, action, intrigue, and mystery the continued adventures and growth of Anakin Skywalker are likely to be more appealing to a wider audience then Episode I.

George Luas shows once again that he knows how to create some spectacular and exciting action. However when it comes to getting believable performances from all of the cast, he stumbles. Actors like Ewan McGregor, Sir Christopher Lee, and Samuel Jackson do good to great jobs at their characters, but some of the cast just give poor performances. The worst offender is Hayden Christensen. He's awkward, stiff, and wooden. An offense made even worse by the fact that he's playing Anakin Skywalker. You know, Darth Vader himself. The big star of the series.

Perhaps though some of the more unenjoyable performances can be blamed on Lucas as a director. Either way they help to add to a certain cheesy feel of the movie. Also adding to it is the occasionally awkward dialog. Just by watching the scenes that form the romance between Anakin and Padme you can tell that Lucas was really trying to sell the soap opera part of his space opera series. Some of these scenes can be downright cringe worthy.

However despite these issues I still found myself enjoying nearly every second of this movie. There is a lot of action here and it is all thrilling. From exciting one on one fights between characters (including one really surprising one near the end) to a magnificent and downright gloriously huge final battle, if you are looking to see some incredible throw downs then look no further.

Even the plotting is made better when you remember that the, at times grating, character of Anakin is going to be Darth Vader. We are literally watching the evolution of one of cinemas greatest villains. For all of it's issues there is enough good going to make them seem almost minuscule in the grand scheme of things. At least it does in my eyes. The Star Wars universe has enchanted me yet again and made me realize that all I was remembering about this movie over the years was the bad. Thanks goodness I've decided to re-watch both trilogies again, because I remembered there is a lot to love here.

My total score for the movie is a 9.9/10
ZorglyFeb 9, 2011
Hayden Christensen is one of the worst modern actors I can think of. To say that him and Natalie Portman (who had a surprisingly poor performance despite her being a fantastic actress) had any chemistry in this movie would be simply absurd.Hayden Christensen is one of the worst modern actors I can think of. To say that him and Natalie Portman (who had a surprisingly poor performance despite her being a fantastic actress) had any chemistry in this movie would be simply absurd. There are some pretty set pieces now and again, and it pushes the star wars story along nicely, but overall not a good movie. In fact its easily the worst of all 6. It should also be noted that Anakins speech about "sand" is one of the LAMEST, most PATHETIC, PUTRID, DESPICABLE, pieces of dialogue ive ever seen on film. I wanted to vomit all over George Lucas and burn down the theater. And i'm usually a calm person... Expand
WhiteTalpaDec 8, 2012
If you thought episode 1 was bad then wait until you see this. Awful love story, it tries to be funny and fails badly and the plot is just plain boring. This has to be the worse out of all the star wars films, however jar jar isn't in it! (YAY)
jyzmanMar 8, 2013
The worst of the Star Wars films. The dialogue between Padme and Anakin is really bad, and the movie is pretty boring up until when the characters are chained up and attacked by animals and droids. The lightsaber fight at the end was tooThe worst of the Star Wars films. The dialogue between Padme and Anakin is really bad, and the movie is pretty boring up until when the characters are chained up and attacked by animals and droids. The lightsaber fight at the end was too short, it was good to watch Yoda fighting Dooku, but it was too short. Expand
jeff_reviewsJul 5, 2013
While stronger than the first, but no where near the original trilogy, "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" has a weak script, and works against the film from the technology put to it, but is still full of fun and battling scenesWhile stronger than the first, but no where near the original trilogy, "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" has a weak script, and works against the film from the technology put to it, but is still full of fun and battling scenes that aren't too disappointing. Expand
TheApplegnomeDec 6, 2015
’Attack of The Clones’ is another example of George Lucas’s recent attempts of basic storytelling. The vast amount of dry, forced and bad expositions (and dialogs) are one of the film’s worst aspects. The characters often have to express and’Attack of The Clones’ is another example of George Lucas’s recent attempts of basic storytelling. The vast amount of dry, forced and bad expositions (and dialogs) are one of the film’s worst aspects. The characters often have to express and explain their feelings and exactly what they're thinking, even in situations where there’s no need for that because we already understand what they’re going through. The romance between the main antagonist; Anakin, and the senator of Naboo; Padmé, are at some moments somewhat okay presented, meanwhile in other scenes total rubbish. Romance should be relatable, understandable and wonderful; not forced and non-existing like in this flick. The problem is in the script, it’s not the actors fault that for example; the romance didn't work out in a better and more ”The Empire Strikes Back-ish" way. And speaking of the actors performance’s; the cast is very good even though they’aren't perfect. Nathalie Portman has improved in a more nuanced way than in ’The Phantom Menace', where her performance was way too one-dimensional. It’s a bit the same with Ian McDiarmid, who continues to impress on the big screen as Palpatine! The main protagonist Count Dooku is a somewhat wise and of course menacing villain, but there’s no feeling nor any real depth to him. But is it still a somewhat okay film? That depends strongly on how well you can notice and embrace the flaws. It does have a lot of eye-candy though; like stunning cinematography. Other great aspects are excellent (but sometimes vague) CGI, great scenes of action and intensity, intriguing music and even some artistic moments here and there. But there’s still not that much of what the film is supposed to be about; the attack of the clones. Because we continue to see our heroes, sitting in circles, talking with dry and forced dialogs.

I grew up to this prequel-franchise, and I still enjoy to watch it from time to time. But the flaws are so awful and obvious so my critical viewpoint is overly mad about this flick!

Personal rating: 70/100
Critical Rating: 40/100
bfoore90Sep 10, 2016
Probably the worst adaption in the Star Wars universe. The action is cool and it makes it at least watchable, the acting is hit and miss as well when they are trying to act their way around Lucas's ultra crappy dialogue. To this day, JangoProbably the worst adaption in the Star Wars universe. The action is cool and it makes it at least watchable, the acting is hit and miss as well when they are trying to act their way around Lucas's ultra crappy dialogue. To this day, Jango Fett is the only character with any appeal to me but unfortunately he was almost entirely wasted in this god-forsaken CGI porn fest. The only reason Jango is there is to probably sell toys and to give Boba a backstory, which is cool but at least give Jango a solid foundation to stand on himself. I don't understand how people say the Phantom Menace was worse than this one because I really don't see it and still don't to this day. The plot is full of holes and inconsistencies, stuff comes out of nowhere and you feel like someone should took Lucas aside and told him "No, this sucks. Stop it." Theres not alot of structure to anything in this movie but the forced and sometimes creepy and awkward dialogue ultimately was what killed this movie, again this movie would have been better if someone took Lucas aside and said, "Stop it, this sucks. This is bad." The only reason I give this movie a 4 instead of a 0 is because its Star Wars and its something I have loved dearly since I was a child. Again, there are thing to like here(Jango Fett) but ultimately its buried by a dumpster full of CGI upped crap. Expand
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
Though it's a lot to take in, Attack of the Clones is still a fun ride. The writing and acting still suffer, but once again--similar to Phantom Menace--the action sequences and the story it tells make up for these flaws. There is excitement,Though it's a lot to take in, Attack of the Clones is still a fun ride. The writing and acting still suffer, but once again--similar to Phantom Menace--the action sequences and the story it tells make up for these flaws. There is excitement, mystery, and romance (with some cliches in tow of course). Expand
PrivataDec 16, 2016
The effects are the worst out of the trilogy
Half the movie is based on a romance I dont care much about It has the worst lightsaber fight in the franchise
I have been told that this is a guilty pleasure of mine , but I dont agree. I dont
The effects are the worst out of the trilogy

I have been told that this is a guilty pleasure of mine , but I dont agree.
I dont think its terrible. I dont think its bad. I think its good. oh its not as good as IV , V and VI but its not a bad story , nor a bad movie.

The plot has a focus on a romance and a conspiracy that goes down a deep (but thats mostly talked about in TCW08)

The conspiracy : I love it ! The romance : I dont like it very much , its not that I think its badly written its that it feels like watching two real life teens dating for the first time. its very cringy. lets just say there is a reason why movies never show romance how it is in real life.

However the only things that make me rate this a 7 instead of a 8 or 9 is :
-The lightsaber fight , I cant stand yoda fighting , I cant stand the fight in the dark.
-C3pO ''funny'' bit , his head gets removed and is still functional (so far , silly but okay) and then gets fited to a B-1 battle droid and thus the two programmings seem to conflict with one and another. its a very silly moment that mirrors the bit in ESB with C3pO being in bits but in that movie it was played for drama and laughs.
-the effects and art are not my cup of tea in this episode (outside of kamino that I do love) everything looks fake , but thats not the end of world to me. But I have to say , something seems to be messed up with the lighting in this episode.
imthenoobFeb 16, 2015
The complete miscast of Christensen tanked the movie but as a whole, It wasn't terrible. It had a few enjoyable moments but much like Phantom Menace, It left us wishing for a better end product.
gm101Mar 28, 2011
The haters will never give up, will they? If you seriously think romance in this movie was portrayed terribly, I have read romantic stories that, unlike in Attack of the Clones, are actually bad, they're called "Romeo & Juliet" and theThe haters will never give up, will they? If you seriously think romance in this movie was portrayed terribly, I have read romantic stories that, unlike in Attack of the Clones, are actually bad, they're called "Romeo & Juliet" and the "Twilight" series. Expand
HomeCriticMay 23, 2014
A film only good to make fun out of and rip apart when watching with friends. Another disgraceful chapter on Lucas' relentless mission to give people his unpolished mess of his Star Wars prequels vision.
This film is a bundle of **** it has
This film is a bundle of **** it has everything: bad dialogues, bland lifeless characters, probably the stupidest idea of a romance ever captured on the big screen, overuse of CGI to the point it all looks like a videogame cutscene (like an expensive episode of Command and Conquer) and lore breaking decisions that were outright stupid (like giving Yoda a lightsaber). And at the epicenter of this butchering of the franchise is none other than Georgy, because like Phantom Menace it felt like there was no collaboration - they do only what George tells them to do without questioning his decisions (feels like George is the Emperor himself)
OnAnarchyAug 18, 2012
All I can say is: WHY GEORGE LUCAS WHY. The conversation on Naboo about sand made me cringe in my seat. Hayden Christensen is HORRIBLE. The music is a saving grace of the film, but there are just too many problems with the acting, theAll I can say is: WHY GEORGE LUCAS WHY. The conversation on Naboo about sand made me cringe in my seat. Hayden Christensen is HORRIBLE. The music is a saving grace of the film, but there are just too many problems with the acting, the writing, everything. Expand
SEROJDec 20, 2015
Without adding any spoilers, i would like to say that this part was actually not that great! Decent directing from George Lucas! The second part of the prequel "Clone wars" gets my 5/10!
AkashVijayJan 19, 2015
A superior sequel. Star Wars: Attack of the clones is better than Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (but so is smashing your head against the Bathroom mirror).
AaronWasserman2May 3, 2014
Once again Lucas manages to kill our love for Star Wars. This movie, like its is bad but slightly, and i mean slightly better. This movie is just a badly written pile of crap. From crappy acting, to bad effects, to laughable dialouge. thisOnce again Lucas manages to kill our love for Star Wars. This movie, like its is bad but slightly, and i mean slightly better. This movie is just a badly written pile of crap. From crappy acting, to bad effects, to laughable dialouge. this movie is a train wreck. However the only reason it pulls a 5 is for the musical score which is fantastic. The fights are very entertaining. and less jar jar and no more stupid kid. Hayden may not be so good due to his wooden acting but ill take him over that crappy kid. Expand