Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: December 20, 2019
1,730
1,812
Watch Now
andyviciusDec 20, 2019
this movie is the final nail in the coffin... dont waste your money on this crap. its rushed... they try to fix all the holes that the previous crappy episodes left behind amd it fails completly.
BlurpinkleDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A final cluster train wreck mess in a sequel that had no plans or even an outline from the start and wow it shows in this mess. This movie has no impact, internal logic, rules or consequences. Force healing and force expenditure death is stupid. BB8 gets smashed by Reys training - oh wait.. no he's fine. Chewy dies because of Rey.. in a force pull fight with Kylo.. oh wait, no he doesn't.. he's fine..... Kylo dies..or should be dead when Rey cuts his ship (why didn't he shoot her) and he crashes and explodes in what would have kiled anyone. Nope. Just a flesh wound. Rey kills him in a light saber fight.. right through the guts..... oh wait no.. sorry about that.. that light saber through your guts... ummm... nah lemme fix that... alive again! Thrown off a cliff into an bottomless pit to die by the emperor.. no you're not... climb back up. Kylo dies and is back about 5 times in this dumb movie.
Rey fully dies as well after she kills Palprocks with... the letter X!!! A mountain falls on her and fully kills her, she's dead.. they focus on her dead face she isn't frozen mary poppins she's dead... oh wait... no she's not.. Kylo heals her... oh but now he's really dead. What? WTF is going on with rules in this stupid movie? Why didn't Rey fade away when she died if shes the most super duper powerful Jedi of all time? If Kylo turned good, why didn't he turn into a force ghost? Force ghosts can move objects so why don't they just fight. Nothing follows any logic in this movie. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. It looks pretty though. Also easy to see Disney is out in force on Rotten Tomatoes with the bot army of one line 5 star reviews that say things like, "A great and satisfying adventure!" really? You give a movie 5 stars, take the time to get your dumb fandango ticket verified and that's what you write?
Rick-CastDec 24, 2019
Pretty much the saving grace of this was the effects, cinematography, the actors (John Boyega,Adam Driver and Ian Mcdiarmid) and the legendary John Williams.It's really not saying much but it is indeed better than the Last Jedi. However itPretty much the saving grace of this was the effects, cinematography, the actors (John Boyega,Adam Driver and Ian Mcdiarmid) and the legendary John Williams.It's really not saying much but it is indeed better than the Last Jedi. However it all counts for naught as this films completely suffers from a very rushed story, pointless new characters and plot holes that have a negative impact on the movie itself and the whole franchise, lack of character development and charm the OT and some of the prequels,forced MCU comedy and a total lack of danger which what makes an adventure film thrilling and fun since all the characters are basically OP,lack of consequences and numerous of conveniences for the characters.What hurts the movie most of all is the cruelest joke of all; the return of Emperor Palpatine, which is an obvious last minute plan that adds more questions and really makes the previous trilogies pointless and ruins the beautifully ending of ROTJ. Was the the whole point of The Emperor's return without any indication from the previous films so he can be killed again in the lamest way possible????Why not bring back Snoke(Darth Maul survived), or have Jar Jar Binks be the final villain instead of bringing back a character long been established by the creator to be dead?Since he survived being completely obliterated in ROTJ, how are you gonna convince me that's he's truly dead?The second biggest mistake was ironically what fans hated...ROS tries it's best to ignore the TLJ but it ends giving this trilogy more continuity issues than it already did. How can you watch the sequel films again when they all feel disconnected. Very lazily done by JJ Abrams. The plot twist was cheap and predictable. Rey is still a Mary Sue although she finally has some training(but too little too late, she's already perfect to begin with) by someone who is confirmed to not even be a Jedi master(facepalm). The cameos from the OT and fan service moments were too much. The whole plot was messy and rushed. It was then obvious that Disney wanted to create another Endgame for a great franchise which already ended decades ago.Also, how is this film PG-13? This whole trilogy was a mess, it disrespected the OT and it damaged the entire lore. It's best to pretend they never happened, but even better if they were wiped from canon.
Legends EU Forever.
Shonen_HeroDec 20, 2019
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. The use of Shakespeare here couldn't be more apropos. This movie is a convoluted mess, and it's clear sunk cost fallacy is in full effect for like half the users here reviewingTold by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. The use of Shakespeare here couldn't be more apropos. This movie is a convoluted mess, and it's clear sunk cost fallacy is in full effect for like half the users here reviewing this tripe. Spare your wallet and give this a hard pass. You don't have to keep thinking you need to see the end of this **** to feel satisfied. Expand
EvilivanDec 20, 2019
Lackluster, uninspired and rushed. That movie is a convoluted mess that believe so little in its own scenario it feels at time genuinely embarrassing to watch. A sad finish for a beloved saga that deserved so much better...
viroodiemDec 20, 2019
Utter garbage. Pointless pandering to a an aged fan base and a non existent one. Yet this is the best Disney can do. Now that this trilogy is over and you see what Disney has done to the frachise (turned it into a children's movieUtter garbage. Pointless pandering to a an aged fan base and a non existent one. Yet this is the best Disney can do. Now that this trilogy is over and you see what Disney has done to the frachise (turned it into a children's movie franchise)lets stop giving the #EvilestCorporationOnEarth money. Expand
Elias_GeekDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Movie is not a worthy ending for the Skywalker Saga! The plottwist are terrible, Rey is a palpetine... **** it is about the Skywalkers and not a MaREY Sue who decides to be a Skywalker ... it‘s not a name you can take so easily... they kill all skywalkers for nothing, the original triology and the sequel one are useless if this movie is canon. It‘s disgusting and a shame for all Star Wars fans who are there since 1977... the effects were amazing, the fights were also okay, but the movie destroyed the other movies, Vader‘s Sacrifice was all for nothing, Rey is the Chosen-one which doesn‘t make any sense... The worst Star Wars Movie ever... I‘m depressed by the movie and don‘t want to see any Star Wars Content Expand
ceramicsaturnDec 20, 2019
This trilogy is an absolute joke. They never had a clear vision from the beginning and it shows. Even episode 7 vs episode 9 it feels like JJ had completely different ideas about how to end this than how he started. The story is a mess, theThis trilogy is an absolute joke. They never had a clear vision from the beginning and it shows. Even episode 7 vs episode 9 it feels like JJ had completely different ideas about how to end this than how he started. The story is a mess, the characters drone on with hopeless exposition, and there's not even much to be had for spectical for those looking for a fun pop corn movie. We've gone from a clone of A New Hope, to a movie that called any critic a racist or sexist, to a movie now that drives a dagger so deep into the heart of SW that it's finally dead. I feel nothing.

I was the biggest SW fan. I bought all the merch, I was apart of the 501st, heck it's even how I met my wife. This franchise all gone now. There's literally nothing left. Picture a film that could literally kill a 4 billion dollar franchise, and this is it. JJ, KK, Rian Johnson and Bob I. killed Star Wars. KK literally lied to Lucas' face, straight up, and said she'd care for his characters and his legacy. She's the one common thread between all three movies. She needs to be fired.

Don't see it. Spare yourself. Go watch the other trilogies if you want to see some SW action. This is just too painful to watch.
AlchemikDec 20, 2019
I honestly didn't expect anything from this movie after The Last Jedi – there was simply no way to really write the saga out of that corner with just one movie. However, I was still disappointed: while episode 8 was infuriating with itsI honestly didn't expect anything from this movie after The Last Jedi – there was simply no way to really write the saga out of that corner with just one movie. However, I was still disappointed: while episode 8 was infuriating with its nonsensical plot twists and disrespect for its place in the new trilogy, this one was simply baffling: atrociously paced and stupid beyond belief. The number of narrative shortcuts and dumb plot points simply made me laugh bitterly, while decent character development for Ray, the first in the whole trilogy, felt mute in the wake of awful writing and J. J. Abrams' obsession with scale. The director shows Machel Bay-levels of equating large, loud events with epicness without understanding what makes such moments compelling. In the end, little in the film really has the emotional impact, or even dumb enjoyment factor it was aiming for.

There's also something more to it: as I expected this to be a bad movie and wasn't really moved by that, I'm incredibly sad about what it did with the Star Wars canon, already shaken by the Episodes 7 and 8. The force is treated in a completely careless way, being able to do whatever is convenient for the plot. The main intrigue makes everything that happened in the earlier movies pointless and kind of stupid. It's just a sad, sad ending to the mainline Star Wars and an awful point for any kind of continuation. People might've disliked the prequels as movies, but they built upon the Star Wars universe and made space for some really fun spin-offs. They disappointed, but ultimately kept the franchise fresh. This honestly killed much if my enthusiasm for Star Wars as a whole and it's heartbreaking. I give it a 3 as a movie experience, as it had a few meaningful moments and didn't irritate me as much as The Last Jedi, but as a Star Wars fan I could just as well give it a 1 for finishing the tragedy of Disney trilogy in an even worse way than it had to.
RathamantiDec 20, 2019
Like watching a three hour long trailer. No time for contemplation or character depth here!
GrimDarkDec 20, 2019
Just a sloppy, lazy cash grab that spent the entire budget on special effects and marketing instead of on screenwriting and editing. Kathleen Kennedy should be held responsible for destroying any hope of a good movie!
jyoodevilDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never seen a franchise completely destroy a character as thoroughly as Disney did to Luke. The story was convoluted with multiple mcguffins and random contrivances just to keep the story going, while explaining nothing and ignoring previously established cannon. Rey solidified herself as a Mary Sue by doing what all the other jedi before her couldn't, and do it with no training, difficultly, or hardship. This movie was soulless. Expand
AlbawaniDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There was no big Fighting scene as I hoped to see. The Emperor died too easy and in my opinion his death unepic. Kylo and Rey did Kiss each other which made no sense, because the hate each other. Keylo was the reason thousands were killed and he killed his father, but that was forgotten by Rey.
But even if the Story is bad, You should appreciate the work put into the CGI and the cast.
corrodedDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is an absolute disaster. The pacing is an absolute mess, with hard, what feels like almost smash cuts between scenes at times. The editing is super jarring. That's before we even get to the plot. It's about two movies worth of plot, smashed into one. Every scene is rushed, it moves at a thousand miles an hour, and not only dialled up to eleven, but maybe fifteen. There are literally thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of new Sith Star Destroyers, each with a planet destroying laser, which is also the achilles heel of the entire design. Also they decided to build all these ships on a planet which left them entirely vulnerable to a surprise attack, where the ships can't leave without being guided, or use their shields. So they built ships with a massively exploitable flaw, on a planet where they can't use shields or leave without being guided away by a command ship. I'm sure this is just because they are arrogant or something. Tactical genius.

I've not even really got into the super bad bits. Leia is retconned to being a Jedi, because someone needs to train Rey now. Even though Luke can now affect the world as a force ghost, given he lifts a sunken X-Wing from the sea, and catches a Lightsaber. I imagine it'd be pretty useful to be a totally impervious force ghost Jedi. So we've got one pretty serious retcon, and then a canon issue (though we can thank Rian for establishing that one).

Then we have force healing (and actually, force resurrection). Ben resurrects Rey, using his life force. I vaguely remember in Episode III that the ability to bring people back to life was regarded as a Sith power. But Ben uses it anyway, and the force ghosts his way out of there. We've got force healing now established at the very last stage of nine films, which now kinda makes Obi-Wan look a bit heartless watching his master die when apparently this is a common technique, or we're lead to believe the Jedi never bothered to train anyone this before now. I guess they were arrogant and assumed they'd never be hurt. I guess force not let people die wasn't seen as super important.

Historically, the prequels and cartoons all set before the original trilogy have been able to add new abilities and powers. We have a lot of brand new abilities on show here that somehow weren't available to the countless generations of Jedis before. The license to create new abilities isn't really here, because it just raises questions about why these things weren't used before. Both the Jedi and the Sith are seriously limited in power. It's the end of a war.

Palpatine force lightnings a fleet. What. The. Hell.

Every Skywalker in this goes out like a chump. Luke did in TLJ. Leia manages to get her son shanked, then dying trying to communicate with him. Then Ben gives his life and flat lines. Skywalker legacy is gone. Literally completely dead. You can call a Palpatine a Skywalker if you want but it doesn't make it so. This is the total fall of Skywalker, not a rise. Luke says he's wrong about staying on the island, and he did so out of fear. Fear. I vaguely remember Yoda saying something about fear once. Luke exiles himself, on an island, when his force ghosty friends are around for potentially decades, out of fear. You know, the path to the dark side. Right-o.

This is Star Wars by people who do not understand Star Wars.
pliternDec 20, 2019
The Disney trilogy is a mess! They wanted to turn the attention away from the old Star Wars to a new one with new characters that would be what the Disney flagship wanted but it all ended horribly. It just doesn't feel like the new charactersThe Disney trilogy is a mess! They wanted to turn the attention away from the old Star Wars to a new one with new characters that would be what the Disney flagship wanted but it all ended horribly. It just doesn't feel like the new characters are friends even. It's a plastic repackaging that tries to please everyone and ends up pleasing no-one. This was supposed to be the "Star Wars Endgame" but it felt more like a new stand-alone movie rather than the ending of a trilogy. I can't help but wondering how the trilogy would have been if they just had used the scripts that George Lucas provided. Really disappointed in this one Expand
ShiningLionDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's a line where Poe says something along the lines of "They've got an entire fleet of Star Destroyers with planet-destroying weapons on them. Of course they do. So this is how it ends." And the line is delivered with such disdain and sarcasm that it almost feels as if Oscar Isaac is delivering his own feelings about this derivative half-baked dud of a "saga conclusion". All this movie does is expose itself as meaningless and redundant several times throughout the plot, in a very meta way, with characters constantly saying some iteration of "if this fails, it was all for nothing". It manages to be so bad, and laughably so, that it makes it actually incredibly easy to justify not considering the Disney trilogy canon. After the dumpster fire that was TLJ, I'm thankful for that.

1 point for Ben Swolo, who was again the only interesting thing in this whole mess, just like every other movie in this trilogy. Can't believe Adam Driver is the only person who had any convincing acting and charisma in this entire trilogy. There are plenty who would disagree with me and point out how awkward Kylo is, but I guess that's what I liked about him. At least his character wasn't utterly predictable at every moment like the rest.
Mikeuk81Dec 20, 2019
Oh dear, the skywalker saga ends with a wet fart, heads must roll at the top.
NasmrDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So palpatine survived being thrown down the shaft and exploded, and then the entire death star exploding, and somehow escape the void of space and then clone/test tube births snoke to make the first order army so they can then join the sith army he already has. All in service to have his granddaughter kill him so he can transfer his essence into her?

The is the most convoluted contrived plot I've ever heard of and reeks of bottom of the barrel panic writing to patch up what TLJ clearly destroyed. I mean, Disneys own lore building comics have snoke state he's old enough to have seen the empire rise and fall, but was cloned after the fall? Clearly this entire trilogy is broken and beyond repair
NdjebfbsDec 20, 2019
Disaster, what is there else to say?
I facepalmed during the whole movie. Another insult to the saga, hopefully the last one for good.
WatchtowerrDec 19, 2019
There is a lot here that violates the rules of the universe established in prior films. Although I consider it more mannered toward the original cast, it’s on par if not worse than TLJ.
WhiteWolf_1984Dec 19, 2019
While having the look, sound, feel and the obvious production values of previous Star Wars movies, TRoS fails badly in terms of plot, imagination, pacing, characterisation and satisfaction. It's a hollow and uninspired Star Wars movie.
I'd
I'd love to start with the positives but unfortunately the bad stuff tanks this movie so badly it's where you must start because it's so shocking where Star Wars has ended up. TRoS feels in different ways worse than Solo. I have to start with the plot, it's unimaginative and empty. You get thrust into the middle of things already happening and only have the opening crawl to know slightly what's going on. Then everything in from there happens at hyperdrive speeds. You just get exposition thrown at you and vague reasons for why our heroes have to go somewhere. Questions about the mission and how did stuff happen are just bluntly explained away with a sentence from someone. There is no mystery or clever thinking it's just go there and stumble across the answer. The film allows you no time to get to know a place or a character. The pacing is rushed and if you don't listen to every quick conversation you will miss something. Fortunately the plot is so basic like a World of Warcraft fetch quest that if you do miss a line it doesn't matter. It's a McGuffin hunt directing Rey to we all know what because the trailers have already spoiled it and the opening crawl spells it out. The camaraderie between our heroes is lousy, they just bicker and the tiny bit of wit they do show is eye rolling bad. The dialogue is basic and does the job but no effective wit and humour. I only chuckled at one line C3PO said and somethings Babu Frik said and did. Nothing else amused me even Chewy or D-O didn't add any humour. Rey is who you spend easily 95% of the movie with either on her own or with someone and unfortunately Daisy Ridley just doesn't act the part very well. She isn't very expressive and is one dimensional. Her performance isn't truely believable, her anger doesn't come over and her happy side is just a grin. Many scenes shes in shock or bewilderment and in them she just looks like a rabbit in the headlights. Oscar Isaacs is good if predictable and John Boyega's performance is the best out of the main stars but nothing special. The new characters are awfully implemented they just appear and you just have to go along with it and not expect a proper introduction to them. I truthfully can't remember their names. They come into the story so abruptly and then they go away and show up barely at the end. Don't know why they bothered putting them in, they're just in there as a means to an end I guess and just products of bad writing. The film squeezes in so much exposition and McGuffin hunts into the 2 hrs 20, the movie doesn't have space for character development. The Knights of Ren have about 2 minutes of screen time, no joke ! Some characters also make illogical decisions throughout and their motivation for why they suddenly decide to do something isn't well conveyed over to the audience, you just have to go along with it and not question why. I guess it keeps the pace up not deeply getting into the why, they just do. I prefer being involved in characters thought processes. The First Order scenes are just cheesy and bad, I just didn't feel any threat from them and they felt like pantomine villains. Hux and Pryde are crinchy and lame.
The lightsaber battles were fun if a little short and predictable. The fighting scenes became ridiculous though with the use of 3 different never before seen force powers which made the final battle and aftermath laughable. Now for the good...
The visual presentation on show is impressive. The locations and sets look great with amazing vibrancy and detail, everything is spot on, it looks Star Wars. The CGI is solid as all the ships, speeders and structures are well rendered although some of the graphics in outside scenes like on the desert planet look fake. The special visual effects are top notch every blaster flash and explosion. They thankfully haven't tinkered with the library of Skywalker Sound assets so every lightsaber zoom and TIE fighter screech are exact. The music is the best part of the film, it's the original trilogy John Williams themes which have been lifted and polished to perfection. The nostalgia is what Abrams nails and he knows how to milk it through sound and visuals. There are lots of new aliens which look great and are all done using animatronics. The space battles are good and decent but you don't get much more than 10 second flashes of dogfighting before it cuts to something else. The ship battles and saber battles are exciting but before you can really get into them they're over.
There were some good performances from Ian McDiarmid, Adam Driver, Billy Dee Williams and Mark Hamill. The Leia scenes are cleverly implemented with old Carrie Fisher footage.
A disappointing end to the saga.
ProserpineDec 20, 2019
Incredibly bad written. It feels like a clumsy collage of old star wars facts thrown over the new story that seemed to have potential to be beautiful and meaningful, arranged in a way that makes no sense whatsoever.
tfshirtyDec 20, 2019
JJs attempt to please everyone, ends up satisfying very few. Overuse of nostalgia in a movie that didn't need it. He answers some of his mystery boxes from TFA, but then drops some new ones that will never be answered. It's a film thatJJs attempt to please everyone, ends up satisfying very few. Overuse of nostalgia in a movie that didn't need it. He answers some of his mystery boxes from TFA, but then drops some new ones that will never be answered. It's a film that undermines TFA, TLJ, and itself. Sometimes from scene to scene, and sometimes in the same scene! Go see it if you want to see how the Saga "ends", but there is very little substance and I'm sure you'll forget about it once you're in the parking lot. Expand
ThundererDec 20, 2019
Good visuals, good work from the cast, some nice action scenes. That's the good. The bad is the story, the characters, and the ugly is the fanservice. This movie packed with more member berries than ever, and they're not even close to beingGood visuals, good work from the cast, some nice action scenes. That's the good. The bad is the story, the characters, and the ugly is the fanservice. This movie packed with more member berries than ever, and they're not even close to being subtle. Watch this if you feel like you wanted to see a bad remake of Return of the Jedi, otherwise you can skip it. Expand
trinmDec 20, 2019
The movie completely ignores all the Star Wars Lore, completely ruins what was achieved by the 6 Episodes that came before it and adds nothing new to the Star Wars universe. They expect you to believe everything that is thrown at you in quickThe movie completely ignores all the Star Wars Lore, completely ruins what was achieved by the 6 Episodes that came before it and adds nothing new to the Star Wars universe. They expect you to believe everything that is thrown at you in quick succession without explaining anything. Even as a standalone movie it's mediocre at best because of a badly written plot and horrible pacing. At least the visuals, music, and acting were really good. Expand
clavdio89Dec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Probably the worst Star Wars movie ever made: full of holes in the plot and with a final scene that makes useless the existence of the previous 8 movies. The Rise of Skywalker....Anakin should be on the center of the scene with Rey and Palpatine....not just as voice! This movie destroyed the Star Wars canon, substituting it with something that has no logic sense! Expand
GizilqDec 20, 2019
Я не знаю, как написать насколько фильм плох, не спойлеря. Это не фильм, это клип MTV - все дерганное, нет долгих сцен. Все сделано для чтобы зритель не успевал понять насколько бредово то что происходит. И нет, это не работает. Фильм -Я не знаю, как написать насколько фильм плох, не спойлеря. Это не фильм, это клип MTV - все дерганное, нет долгих сцен. Все сделано для чтобы зритель не успевал понять насколько бредово то что происходит. И нет, это не работает. Фильм - красивый набор идиотских ситуаций которые пытаются вызвать у зрителя ностальгию, но не могут.
Меня радует только то что Дисней не получил мои деньги - я сидел в кинотеатре бесплатно.

I do not know how to write how bad the film is, not a spoiler. This is not a movie, this is an MTV video - everything is twitching, there are no long scenes. Everything has been done so that the viewer does not have time to understand how miserably what is happening. And no, that doesn't work. The film is a beautiful set of idiotic situations that try to arouse nostalgia in the viewer, but they cannot.
I am only happy that Disney did not receive my money - I sat in the cinema for free.
DavidCameronDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I felt Palpatine was less evil in this film so by all rights Palpatine should've won. Also the film wasn't British enough, there wasn't enough white women so I didn't find it very sexy.

Honestly they were so emotionless and lacking personality that I predicted that the main new characters would be revealed as evil cyborgs sent to kill the lovely Emperor at the end of the film, and I wanted the droids from the Prequels to come back and save the Emperor from the main new characters democratic lefty madness but unfortunately that never happened. I cried when the infamous words of 'Roger Roger' wasn't heard from those cute battle droids in this film. The plot was so simplistic that I think I could've written it when I was 7 years old, there was no complexity and there was nothing in this movie that we haven't seen 100 times before in a film. Lazy writing and completely undermines the Chosen One prophecy. If you're British, definitely avoid this film, otherwise you’ll be at risk of leaving the theatre screaming and shouting that the film treated the legacy of your ancestors like poop on the bottom of a shoe. My sexy Kingdom of Anglo-Saxons should sue Disney for producing such barbaric filth that only depraved lunatics could possibly hope to enjoy.
MoomtasticDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Kind of reminded me of the Community episode where Abed has like six seconds of footage of a film starring Chang and the school tries to turn the thing into a feature-length movie. The visual effects were really nice though. Expand
hellpittDec 19, 2019
I went to see the movie today, and I hoped it was going to end the Saga with a bang, but I was mistaken... it was a Frankenstein, characters didn't make sense, way to much fan service, the movie was a remake of episode 6, cinematography wasI went to see the movie today, and I hoped it was going to end the Saga with a bang, but I was mistaken... it was a Frankenstein, characters didn't make sense, way to much fan service, the movie was a remake of episode 6, cinematography was good, but the plot didn't make sense, I will not be re-watching this movie ever again, can't remember the music and the actors lacked enthusiasm. Expand
SimonHardyDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Further tramples in the original films by completely undoing Anakin's redemption and the whole purpose of Luke. Bringing the Emperor back alive was a terrible choice in an otherwise completely forgettable movie that had zero consequence for any sacrifices the characters made.

At least it's over now.
vocedeisogniDec 20, 2019
As a movie, it is really bad. Bad effects, bad pace, bad story and so on. As the end of the (Anakin) Skywalker saga, it is really bad. With no respect whatsoever for the two previous Trilogies and for the previous film too. I'm basically notAs a movie, it is really bad. Bad effects, bad pace, bad story and so on. As the end of the (Anakin) Skywalker saga, it is really bad. With no respect whatsoever for the two previous Trilogies and for the previous film too. I'm basically not a SW fan anymore. #notmychosenone Expand
DerekReideDec 20, 2019
Well...The end is here. And I’m happy to say that this is the WORST Star Wars film to date. ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ is treated like a movie made for the fans, but honestly, it’s the final middle finger to them. Granted, a lot of people mayWell...The end is here. And I’m happy to say that this is the WORST Star Wars film to date. ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ is treated like a movie made for the fans, but honestly, it’s the final middle finger to them. Granted, a lot of people may end up liking the movie because it retconned ‘The Last Jedi’, but I don’t see how this made anything better. This movie was treated like an average children’s movie rather than a Sci-Fi epic conclusion to a forty-two year running franchise beloved by millions. Conundrum on top of conundrum, cheesy dialogue/humor, unnecessary twists, needless callbacks, and plenty of cat-and-mouse type antics. The only good things in this film is the engaging action sequences, yet they are too quick for you to actually be on the edge of your seat for (referred to for the beginning of the film, until the final battle), and the visuals, which most are eye-catching. What a way to end Star Wars...Like the way you’d unexpectedly lose someone you care about. That’s how I feel about this. Like as if I lost someone very important in my life. Expand
HudsonstantonDec 20, 2019
No real plot. Everything that could be considered good about this movie was ripped off from the original 6 movies. Huge plot holes. The movie was crammed and rushed and was basically a scavenger hunt. The dialogue treated the audience as ifNo real plot. Everything that could be considered good about this movie was ripped off from the original 6 movies. Huge plot holes. The movie was crammed and rushed and was basically a scavenger hunt. The dialogue treated the audience as if we were 5 year olds. Very short lightsaber fight. The force abilities were so far fetched that it felt nothing like star wars. I had no emotional ties to any of the characters. In conclusion this movie made me feel as if Disney stripped the name off of star wars and placed it on their own strange low budget like sci fi film. Disgraceful. Expand
LeandroBDec 20, 2019
The narrative sucks, everything is rushed, nothing is consistent with what was presented in other movies.
sundekiDec 19, 2019
I wasn't going to bother with a review, but after seeing literally dozens of user reviews on several websites, all that seem to say the exact same thing of how "satisfying" this film was: It's clear to me that there's some kind of mass paidI wasn't going to bother with a review, but after seeing literally dozens of user reviews on several websites, all that seem to say the exact same thing of how "satisfying" this film was: It's clear to me that there's some kind of mass paid shilling going on. I didn't think this sort of thing actually happened until just now.

The characters all suffer the same flaws as the previous two mainline entries.
The story seems forced and doesn't make sense so much of the time.
The writing and background is terrible, seemingly being used as an excuse to thrust fanservice or flashy/"impressive" moments on the audience without reason.
And once again, they completely butcher the nature of The Force as an excuse to advance completely irrelevant and poorly written plot points, or "character development".

The only things that are positive about this film were it's visuals, and some action sequences. Both things everyone should expect from a film with this subject matter and studio budget. So that's where they get the 2 points from.

I simply can't recommend this to anyone who isn't a young child or quite drunk.
ERG219Dec 20, 2019
A movie made without a plan and it shows. I had to push myself to sit through the entire movie. There was maybe a half dozen moments where I considered just walking out of the "movie".
Arko777Dec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Wars the Rise of Marey Sue is a convoluted mess of a movie. The whole plot is nonsensical as it's based on Palpatine that somehow survived the fall, explosion from the reactor and on top of that the annihilation of the second death star. Maybe the audience will get an explanation for this amazing feat? Nope. It's shoved away by the line from the prequels about unnatural powers of the dark side. He's just here for some weird fanservice and to die by the hand of a "true hero" - Rey in one of the most anticlimactic endings I've ever seen in the cinema that makes the story of episodes 1-6 null and void. To even, get to the ending the audience has to endure the never-ending fetch quests for objects of plot value. It's so bad that at some point the main crew of characters have to find a missing person that has an item that leads to another item that finally leads to the big bad. All of this is held by the endless rush of action and scenes that overwhelm you with visuals and callbacks because in today's day and age you need to be distracted to not see the floppy writing.

The characters are as bland as in 7&8, but on top of that this time we spice things up with inconsistency. Rey's power level fluctuates depending on the plot. She had a year of training on top of the godly powers demonstrated in 7&8 so she should be pretty strong at this point right? Nope. She can't even beat Kylo which she defeated two times in previous movies, but somehow Leia has to die for her to beat him. Speaking of Kylo his power level changes as well, because somehow he can stand to the godly Rey now and even overwhelm her at one point. Consistency? What's this? Rey also pulls new abilities out of nowhere because she's that good I guess. Also, Kylo's story arc is this movie is that - he's super evil, then he's not evil because a phantom of Han Solo told him to be good and then he sacrifices himself for Rey by kissing her lips and transferring his life force to her so she can claim that she's Skywalker on the Tatooine. It's bad.

Finn exists now solely to yell "Rey". The movie tries to develop and bond him with a new character and her band that are also ex-stormtroopers, but it never goes beyond surface-level as the pace of the story won't allow developing anyone. Not to mention this squad's whole backstory is "we just gave up on killing civilians" and First Order didn't do anything about them.

Poe also received an additional backstory that is supposed to give him depth because he was a smuggler once and had a dubious girlfriend. It's only important to the story, so they can find another plot device and move on as fast as they can.

As for other characters, many fakeout deaths try to evoke emotions in the audience. At one point Cheewie is killed by Rey using force lightning on First Order's transport ship by accident. In the very next scene, he is ok so there's no lesson for Rey and the audience feels cheated by baiting out a character's death. The same happens with C3PO that "dies" just to read a message on one plot device so the crew can find another plot device. He's later restored by R2D2 so any emotional impact of "looking last time at my friends" scene is null and void.

At the end of the movie, I felt hollow. There was nothing, but empty fanservice and convoluted plot. I don't want a perfect story, but please J.J try to use basic logical consistency next time.
Hugzzy007Dec 20, 2019
Just a mess of a fan film. Nothing really to add. Th a whole sequel trilogy has been an utter shambles and this is just a fan film full of "Hey, remember this". Lazy story telling from the franchise killer JJ Abrahams.
Point5Dec 19, 2019
A convoluted mess that nullifies the redemption story of Anakin Skywalker. Not worth seeing again. Go see Cats instead.
GriffinAGDec 20, 2019
Completely disappointing. Stale humor, disrespect for lore, cheesy writing.
mickrussomDec 20, 2019
By far and away the worst of the saga. Terribly edited. Story is complete nonsense. It is a long, senseless McGuffin chase. Loads of broken canon. Looks like a rush job and now Abrams has destroyed Star Trek and now utterly destroyed StarBy far and away the worst of the saga. Terribly edited. Story is complete nonsense. It is a long, senseless McGuffin chase. Loads of broken canon. Looks like a rush job and now Abrams has destroyed Star Trek and now utterly destroyed Star Wars. This man has assaulted American mythology for what purpose? What did he gain by defacing our modern myths? Do not give your money to The Mouse or to Bad Reboot. Expand
Greenjar24Dec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely disregards pre-established lore so Rey can be the chosen one. Disney should be embarrassed for creating this trilogy with absolutely no plan in mind. Their failure is now complete. Expand
Albertwesker959Dec 20, 2019
Not only is the worst star wars movie but its also one of th worst movie ever made... The movie is flat there are no emotion and the plot had no sense and destroy everything That Lucas created in the first six movie and everything that theyNot only is the worst star wars movie but its also one of th worst movie ever made... The movie is flat there are no emotion and the plot had no sense and destroy everything That Lucas created in the first six movie and everything that they were tying to create whit episode 7 and 8... How to destroy a saga... Well done Disney Expand
HamletSandwichDec 20, 2019
Not goooood. :( Really sad because I loved both TFA and TLJ. This one just left me feeling empty inside. Like Donuts for Dinner.
Chronos1Dec 20, 2019
This movie is what happens when you try to appease everyone.. it just ends up pissing off most people.. the only people who actually like this movie are those who never had their hopes up or are new to this star wars saga... real shameThis movie is what happens when you try to appease everyone.. it just ends up pissing off most people.. the only people who actually like this movie are those who never had their hopes up or are new to this star wars saga... real shame because this saga had real potential. Expand
KalamirDec 20, 2019
Nothing that happens on the screen makes sense. Dialogues are a joke. Even the choreography of the fight looks terrible. The director treats audiences like morons. Each subsequent idea is more stupid than the previous one. DisappointmentNothing that happens on the screen makes sense. Dialogues are a joke. Even the choreography of the fight looks terrible. The director treats audiences like morons. Each subsequent idea is more stupid than the previous one. Disappointment breaks the heart. This trilogy should be erased from memory. Expand
korndawgggDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really really hated this movie. Made no sense. Crammed in a bunch of cut EU story lines that made no sense in this trilogy. They were not set up, not fleshed out, and just not interesting.

There was a decent amount of action, but none of it meant anything to me because I didn't care about the story or the characters.

I spent the whole time just wishing it would end.
Ender71Dec 19, 2019
As a life long star wars fan I can honestly say this movie was insulting to the legacy of star wars. Sound dramatic? The movie is that bad. It felt like I was watching a transformers movie. Loud, lazy, soulless.
AndrudisDec 20, 2019
Worst SW movie ever made. SFX is the only part that is good, the rest (plot, characters development, etc) is trash
ErmakitDec 20, 2019
It's a disgusting plot. The timekeeping is stretched by meaningless scenes. Dialogues are disgustingly spelled out. I wanted to leave the theater after 5th minute.
Labian4ikDec 20, 2019
This is a dumb fanfic that breaks the logic of the universe of films and cancels the events of 1-6 episodes.
I refuse to accept this as a canon.
StabincabinsDec 20, 2019
Genuinely shocked at the terrible pacing of this film.

Genuinely shocked at the terrible pacing of this film.

Forget the plot for a second. The film never gives you a second to think?! The characters do a thing, do another thing and blitz through the Galaxy to another thing in lightning quick succession and you feel limp watching it. The film doesn't breathe...at all?!

As an audience member, going to the cinema is a passive experience, it's the director aim to make you feel something. You have no choice in this film but to just sit there, take it and try to keep up this ridiculous plot. How can an editor work on that and think they've done a good job is beyond me.

Lightsaber fights are rubbish and have no meaning. The choreography is average, not worthy of the final chapter in the Stars Wars Saga.

The space battles are crap, the worst of any Star Wars film to date. No dogfights, no sense of danger. When a resistance person does get killed you're really not bothered.

Others will destroy this film for its narrative in depth. And it's all completely justified. It's a poorly thought out Trilogy of films that doesn't deserve the Star Wars title it has. But the pacing, this is appalling work by the editorial department and JJ.
bansheemasterDec 20, 2019
Somehow it turned out worse than The Last Jedi which I didn't think was possible. It's pointless rehash of original trilogy designed to target your nostalgia and prolong a story that concluded 3 movies ago written by people who didn't give aSomehow it turned out worse than The Last Jedi which I didn't think was possible. It's pointless rehash of original trilogy designed to target your nostalgia and prolong a story that concluded 3 movies ago written by people who didn't give a single crap about the franchise. No character arcs, no decent story, just a bunch of nice CGI slapped around a ton of irrelevant scenes that break the lore and play out pretty much as you'd expect. Why do the same characters keep coming back in an entire galaxy filled with hundreds of races and billions of characters? If this was fan fiction, people would despise it but Disney wanted a paycheck so here we are. Expand
BrutafulDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely horrendous. There are so many things that are still left unanswered AND new questions that we'll likely never get answers to. Here are some that are bothering me...

How is Rey so powerful? Saying that she's a Palpatine is just lazy writing and I'll show why right now. Palpatine is dead, and should have remained dead. Bringing him back to life completely undermines the whole Skywalker story! Now all the work, all the suffering Luke and Anakin went through- it's all for nothing. Just so we can have Rey, the complete Mary Sue defeat Palpatine? Why? Rey gets almost no training and these little snippets of her training in TLJ and this movie aren't enough. They're not convincing. She's doing things with the force we've never seen before. Who did she learn them from? Leia? How did Leia learn them? From Luke? Yet we've never seen Luke heal anyone with the force, so that isn't convincing.

Speaking of Luke- how did Maz find Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber? She said it was a "story for another time" in TFA, but we didn't get the story in TLJ or in this movie. Where did she get it? How? Why?

Why is Hux the spy? The way he ousts himself as the spy is ridiculous. His motivations make no sense. He says he doesn't want the Resistance to win, but he doesn't want Kylo to win. That just shows he has no allegiance. The Resistance has no reason to protect him once he's served his purpose as Hux doesn't care for their cause, and Kylo wont care to take Hux back as Hux has betrayed him.

Why is Rose completely sidelined in this movie? I don't like her character at all, but there's no satisfying conclusion between her and Finn. Instead it looks like Rose was replaced by this Jana chick, so we don't have to deal with the blunders made by Rian through the character of Rose. That's just lazy though.

Why are Finn, Rey, and Poe always bickering? We're supposed to believe these are people who are good friends, yet they bicker like they just met each other or never bothered to smooth out any problems they've ever had with each other.

I've got more questions, but I'll move on from that...for now.

There's tons of fan service, but it's insulting. It's as if Disney thinks Star Wars fans are stupid. The kiss between Rey and Kylo seems stupid as they really don't look like a convincing couple. JJ's attempts to make you care about what's going on through Leia's, Luke's, Han's, and Lando's appearances fall flat. Why should I care? You've ruined and then killed him. You turned Han into some sort of deadbeat and then killed him too. Leia is apparently a full fledged Jedi, but Carrie Fisher's gone now, and yet you parade her around in this movie as terrible CGI, instead of giving her a respectful sendoff in TLJ. Oh and Lando? He's just here for nostalgia's sake. Of course, Palpatine is here for pretty much the same reason....nostalgia.

Sure, the movie looks incredible, but I expect that from Disney. What I didn't expect, was that I'd feel so uninterested in the major battle near the end of the movie. This is supposed to be epic and I don't care. I don't care at all. I couldn't care less if Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, Janna, etc die, because I know so little about them and worse, Rey and Rose aren't even likable. Now you've made it worse by having Rey be the chosen one, undermining the Skywalkers' story. You even have her take on the Skywalker name, which is disgusting as it doesn't feel earned at ALL. Good job, Disney. Your main character, the one we should all love as much as we love Luke, is liked about as much as Jar Jar Binks. Fantastic.

It's funny...I decided to watch this movie because I'd heard about all the leaks and thought I'd at least get a good laugh out of this train-wreck. Instead, I was bored, annoyed, and by the end, disgusted. Even with all the leaks, watching all of this unfold was still simply appalling. To make matters worse, it's clear Disney is doing HUGE amounts of damage control. I've seen so many 10/10 reviews that say the same thing, in the same words, and with the same sentence structure. If this movie is a 10/10 to so many people, why aren't they going into great detail about it? Instead I see a few 7 and 8s giving some details and lots of negative reviews detailing just how much they hate the movie, and more importantly, WHY they hate the movie.

This movie is absolutely horrendous and even worse than The Last Jedi. It's NOT a "satisfying end to the trilogy" and no amount of fake reviews is going to change that. It really is the worst Star Wars movie ever. Skip this one and watch the Mandalorian instead. At least that's actually decent.

1/10. (Updated Dec, 22, 2020) Ok, so I'm going to add more stuff..
Zorii Bliss is a weak character. Her motivations changed from being angry at Poe for leaving her behind on Kijimi to wanting to help him, Rey, and Finn so quickly that it'd make your head spin.

How did Lando get all those Resistance ships on his side in so little time?!
Still a 1/10.
lordfolkenDec 19, 2019
Awful movie. Mary Sue theory is confirmed. Anakin/ Vader ‘s story arc and Luke’s arc are simply thrown away as garbage. Other characters are simply dispensable, specially Kylo and Finn. Completely useless. There is no connection with theAwful movie. Mary Sue theory is confirmed. Anakin/ Vader ‘s story arc and Luke’s arc are simply thrown away as garbage. Other characters are simply dispensable, specially Kylo and Finn. Completely useless. There is no connection with the audience. Palpatine is brought again but only to serve as a explanation for the unexplainable. Bottom line: this movie is a epitaph that represents all the lack of respect and huge greedy from Disney in handle this franchise. It´s the worst movie of the whole saga, until now... How worse they an get? Expand
aidanhayesDec 19, 2019
Star wars rise of Skywalker is the biggest middle finger to fans , playing on emotions that you don’t feel during the movie and trying to make it like avengers Endgame . Total abomination !
LahaulDec 20, 2019
To be honest, if you look at it as a blockbuster as any others, it is decent (it would deserve a 5-6). The movie is beautiful with some nice pictures, there are a lot of events, too much for me, you don t have the time to be bored. So if youTo be honest, if you look at it as a blockbuster as any others, it is decent (it would deserve a 5-6). The movie is beautiful with some nice pictures, there are a lot of events, too much for me, you don t have the time to be bored. So if you are not a huge fan of Star Wars and if you quite enjoyed the last two movies, you will like this one.
But now, I consider mysel as an hardcore fan: I love the first 6 films, and for me the original trilogy and the prelogy are on an equal footing. I didn't like episode VII and even if I don't agree with many things in the VIII, TLJ has taken some risks (like the episodes I - II - III). But this episode IX is by far the worst star wars movie ever.
There are many reasons to that: - The Force is used in new ways that turn Luke, Anakin or Obi-Wan like padawans. The saddest thing is that they could use it to make something impressive, like an amazing lightsaber fight like in the III. But no, it is only to simplify the movie and to make it go faster. - Talking about lightsaber fights, there are neither interesting nor impressive at all. - Personnally, I didn't enter in the story: they are just looking for items to unlock another item to reach some place. Wouah! - The characters are still bad, even if Poe is better depicted in this one. I was quite impressed on how they add Leia in the movie, even if it feels forced, it was ok for me. New characters are totally useless. - The music is ok at least but there is no new theme that stroke me. - Most of the question are answered but the issue is that new ones arrived with the revelations. And the answers detroys litterally everything in the story of Star Wars. In the end, I felt like I saw a fan film where Disney put many ideas to please the fans.But this is not the way to do it: I wanted something brand new. Episode VIII is the only one which can could be qualified as a new star wars movie in this trilogy. If you liked it, good for you. I will try with the time to appreciate it but it was so painfull for me to watch this movie. I hope that the next ones will be better...
BitmouseDec 19, 2019
This movie was largely incoherent from a story telling point of view. The main characters repeated the line, "if this fails then it (meaning the whole saga) has been for nothing." I think this clearly shows how obvious it was to the writersThis movie was largely incoherent from a story telling point of view. The main characters repeated the line, "if this fails then it (meaning the whole saga) has been for nothing." I think this clearly shows how obvious it was to the writers that they story was largely irrelevant and forced in relation to the previous 8 films.

It seems to me Disney ran out of steam on this one. They weren't really the right people to make this final trilogy as their interest is in the wrong place.
Osaii78Dec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a film it feels rushed and crammed full of story, as characters invested in and wrapping the three new films into a coherent story its awful. Other than Rey and Kylo all the other characters are throw away and couldnt care less about. Expand
D0nkiDec 20, 2019
The best I can put it is small moments of brilliance, packed in a cocoon of cluster-f@#kery.
As expected the visual, sound and music is what really keeps it up with the added nostalgia factor.
The story is a rushed mess. It actually feels

The story is a rushed mess.
It actually feels like they took everything they found on the internet, and threw it at the script. What didn't fall off of it made it in to the movie.

In terms of characters, they mostly fall flat. Adam Driver did probably most of the work here ... which isn't saying much considering that he played a very two dimensional character.

Logic is almost none existent at this point. I know people come to its defense saying that its a fiction, but with the thing is that even fiction needs to have rules and logic that makes sense in its own world, in order for it to work. Otherwise there is nothing keeping it from becoming chaotic. Most of what I saw today was an afterthought, considering how fast it goes trough story beats, and tries desperately to do damage control after TLJ.
ZaidokDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Come fate a dire che è un bellissimo film? La profezia, Anakin, Luke, Leia... tutto è distrutto, gli Skywalker non contano niente. Rey è nipote di Palpatine perché sì, lui è tornato perché sì, ha un esercito perché sì. Non torna niente, il film è una merda orripilante e brutta. Inguardabile e corrosivo per il cuore di ogni vero fan. Expand
Imperius147Dec 20, 2019
Pro:
+music
+same CGI Cons: -story plot of the movie is boring -body,items teleportation -Mary Sue-the chosen one -Palpatine somehow survived the fall, explosion from the reactor destroy -flat characters -space my little pony -ignore star
Pro:
+music
+same CGI

Cons:
-story plot of the movie is boring
-body,items teleportation
-Mary Sue-the chosen one
-space my little pony
-ignore star wars lore -broke and ignore true cannon and expanded universe Mara,Vongs,Solo kids,...
-biggest middle finger to fans -The returns Palpatine, Wedge and Lando cant save the Disney thrash universe they have made. The story is absolutely bad. Its not bad the like the terrifying last Jedi, but bad. Sad as Disney destroyed the universe I loved for 30 years for what?for money.
YaspisDec 20, 2019
What a mess of a film. I dont think I can stomach writing about it. The 1 stars are for the aesthetic appeal and some of the jokes. That was SO BAD.
JJ Abrams has created something unique all right - the first ever SW film without a heart.
LanadelaDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a giant nonsensical mess. I couldn't believe how rushed and pathetic the movie felt. The sooner this entire trilogy is forgotten the better. It makes Attack of the Clones look like Citizen Kane. Expand
super_sayianDec 20, 2019
Even though i am a fanboy, this movie was unacceptable. Full of plot holes, and no explaining whatsoever.In all the scenes were happening things that only one in a million could have happened and happened every damn time. Pointless andEven though i am a fanboy, this movie was unacceptable. Full of plot holes, and no explaining whatsoever.In all the scenes were happening things that only one in a million could have happened and happened every damn time. Pointless and without debth. Adding the fact that the directors took episode IX like never happened and continue somewhere else Expand
BorgorosDec 20, 2019
Some cool action, but the story does not stay together. It reminds me of the horrible storytelling of the Transformers movies, and with cliché and plot holes like this, good visuals cant save it even for me. It does not make sense at all. ISome cool action, but the story does not stay together. It reminds me of the horrible storytelling of the Transformers movies, and with cliché and plot holes like this, good visuals cant save it even for me. It does not make sense at all. I love awesome action and sci-fi, but not when it becomes a dumb mess like this.. And as a last part of a trilogy, without a plan from the start, this falls even more flat...

I do now dream about what this trilogy could have been. For this is really disappointing. Star Wars made in our time should be so much more. Rewievers and people that gives this 10/10 are payed to do so, or does not have any demands at all what a Star Wars movie should be. Just write Star Wars in the title, cram it full of sad scenes, and it recieves top score. That is insane!
KlausGrablerDec 20, 2019
Having read some of the positive reviews it becomes clear that many of them are just paid or fake reviews as this movie cannot be rated with anything more than 5 by anyone who has a brain. Plotholes, McGuffins,lousy editing and weak CGI showHaving read some of the positive reviews it becomes clear that many of them are just paid or fake reviews as this movie cannot be rated with anything more than 5 by anyone who has a brain. Plotholes, McGuffins,lousy editing and weak CGI show this movie was put together more than once or twice with no clear plan in mind. It is shallow, uninspired, badly written and very disappointing. Sad to see Star Wars sink so low. Expand
GarethBDec 20, 2019
Rushed, convoluted, retcon filled nonsense that disrespects the actual good star wars movies. The crawl alone could have been its own movie. There's no intrigue or setup to Palpatines return, he is just thrown in immediately, nothing isRushed, convoluted, retcon filled nonsense that disrespects the actual good star wars movies. The crawl alone could have been its own movie. There's no intrigue or setup to Palpatines return, he is just thrown in immediately, nothing is explained, he is just there next to his jar of pickled Snokes. Never mind the fact that him being alive completely negates Anakin's sacrifice and the journey undertaken in the first 6 movies. The characters are bland and boring, Rey is so overpowered its a joke and the new force powers break everything. Finn just runs around shouting REEEEYYY non stop. C3PO, Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca are the only standouts, R2D2 is relegated again to promote new merchandise droids. There is so much nonsense it would take ages to discuss... who was Palps banging??? How are all these ships out here in the middle of nowhere???? The end is hilariously bad, twilight mixed with divergent. And ends with nobody squatting in the name of the actual heroes of the previous movies. No wonder George Lucas didn't go to the premiere... Expand
KazRockatanzkyDec 19, 2019
Is a real bad ending to the trilogy and worst for the whole saga, this last one is like you wanna answer questions, say sorry, make up wasted time in world building and above all rush an entire trilogy in a little more than 2 hours forgettingIs a real bad ending to the trilogy and worst for the whole saga, this last one is like you wanna answer questions, say sorry, make up wasted time in world building and above all rush an entire trilogy in a little more than 2 hours forgetting to make a good paced movie and ignoring all previous established in universe explanations for things, be prepared if you are going to see it. Expand
ArrngrimDec 20, 2019
Finally, an ending to this god awful "trilogy" from JarJar Abrams and the woke AF SJWs. What they did to our beloved heroes growing up is atrocious. This movie wasn't even worth watching, but I "had to know how it ended"...and thankFinally, an ending to this god awful "trilogy" from JarJar Abrams and the woke AF SJWs. What they did to our beloved heroes growing up is atrocious. This movie wasn't even worth watching, but I "had to know how it ended"...and thank goodness it's all over with. In summary, do NOT bother paying money to watch this. Disney should NOT be rewarded for the atrocities they have committed. Expand
NeokenshinDec 20, 2019
Disney has ruined this trilogy and with this film they have hurt the legacy of all the previous George Lucas films, a pandering fan fiction that tries to make you feel something using all the other movies as the basis. Makes me wish i wasDisney has ruined this trilogy and with this film they have hurt the legacy of all the previous George Lucas films, a pandering fan fiction that tries to make you feel something using all the other movies as the basis. Makes me wish i was watching them or the clone wars animated show Expand
Chris_NailsDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, for god's sake. Palpatine had a granddaughter and it's rey. The original trilogy was for nothing. Why revive Palpatine? Why kill the main villain, Snoke in the second movie? Expand
idubbbzDec 20, 2019
It's a shame the saga ended up like this. I wish this wasn't a canon. Welp.
equilibriumDec 20, 2019
The moment SW turned into SJW it went down the drain, the new trilogy is worse than a jar jar binks spin off
rharp86Dec 19, 2019
This movie broke cannon. The plot was rushed and just was worse than The Last Jedi.
ExilefalcontrDec 20, 2019
Such a bad story with such a bad ending. New characters doesnt make any sense, force powers doesnt makes sense ,reys OP powers makes no sense, space battles makes no sense to
Blueblood71Dec 19, 2019
This is an empty clunky movie. It never even comes close to capturing the magic of the originals. There is no vision for the film, and what's worse the action is not even impressive. Skip at all costs.
Rogers_RogerDec 20, 2019
I've never disliked a single Star Wars movie in my life prior to this moment... The originals, the prequels, the Force Awakens and even The Last Jedi, all have a special place in my heart. That is also supplemented by the vast amount of extraI've never disliked a single Star Wars movie in my life prior to this moment... The originals, the prequels, the Force Awakens and even The Last Jedi, all have a special place in my heart. That is also supplemented by the vast amount of extra material I have read/watched/played through regarding the Star Wars universe. I went to the premiere of the Grand Finale of the Star Wars saga hoping that it would end our beloved story on a high note and would finally unite the fandom of Star Wars. Well, one must be careful with what they wish for. I felt nothing but apathy and cringe while watching that movie. The plot looked like a fan fiction written by kid who has maybe seen the OT movies once. For the movie that was supposed to summarize the entire saga, it might as well forget that the prequels ever existed in SW canon in the first place. Rushed, extremely fast paced, with deeply flawed logic, unopened "mystery boxes" and tons of cheap fan-service, this movie tries to deliver on all fronts and fails to do that miserably. JJ Abrams tried to undo the changes made by the previous film only to cause even more damage and make the entire trilogy a meaningless mess. This might very well be the only SW movie I'm never going to see again. From the positives: the actors did their best with what they had, the music was nice and the visuals are stunning. Expand
ScienceAdvisorDec 20, 2019
This movie is all action and no substance. People that expected answers to questions raised in the first two movies get a single line of exposition as JJ proves he once again cannot come up with a moral, ethical, or logical conclusion toThis movie is all action and no substance. People that expected answers to questions raised in the first two movies get a single line of exposition as JJ proves he once again cannot come up with a moral, ethical, or logical conclusion to anything. He also provies that he once again lied about not retconning aspects of The Last Jedi, becuase that is exactly what he does in Rise of Skywalker while further degrading the characters that Rian already debased. JJ's typical mystery box McGuffin chases are just busy-work to distract from the lack of real script or character development. Even the CGI fails at times, and Carrie Fisher's posthumous return to the screen is carried out very badly, feeling quite artifical and out of place. If there was ever a single line of exposition pretending to be an explanation, Leiah suddenly being considered dead between movies would have be the time for it. Heck, starting off with her funeral would have given the movie some much-needed feeling. The ending is laughable and soul-sucking for any Star Wars fans, as it shatters the sacrifice of the original series and makes consequences meaningless in Disney Star Wars. Expand
Bushman91Dec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The trilogy truly ended in episode 8. JJ has nothing to work with but dug the hole deeper lol this movie has its awesome scenes but just no story arc. Reys character is a Mary Sue, some people can’t accept that. The Anakin chosen one was for nothing. Disney really **** up and there **** will never be canon to me. These new movies will please the new gen of fans which they don’t know **** about Star Wars but it deeply it hurts real fans for such a **** show of a mess this turned out to be. Expand
heloheDec 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Does J.J.Abrams hate Rian Johnson? Because this movie sure feels like it. One may or may not like the previous movie. But trying (with force) to turn around everything the previous episode built up makes me cringe. The visuals are stunning as usual and the acting is fine as well, there are even some elements of the plot which are ok. But overall it is a big disappointment. Like all Abrams movies it feels like tons of fan service crammed into a short as possible time. The plot of the movie is boring. Basically again the same plot as previous movies. Nothing new or interesting happens. All plot twists are expected. The whole palpatine story is just pure cringe. Expand
VirgoCaveDec 19, 2019
Unused or uninteresting Characters, Bad pase history, Nostalgia overdose, bad decisions, doesnt do any new, predictable. Boring.
Pixel_BitDec 20, 2019
It's probably the worst movie of the entire saga. It retcon the entire episode VII that was a really good movie and add powers only to be used later and adjust everything.
ZorroAKDec 20, 2019
After TLJ, I was absolutely, positively convinced it couldn't get any worse. That train wreck of a black plot hole seemed unsurpassable in its abject stupidity, but alas, it obviously is, because now we have to deal with RoS.

You see, I'm

You see, I'm not a rabid SW fan. The OT has its fair share of problems, I really, really, really didn't like the prequels, and I was actually happy that the IP went to Disney and away from George (who's anything but the messiah of filmmaking he likes to think he is), and hey, I actually quite liked TFA overall, despite its problems. But TLJ burned the house down, and RoS actually manages to dump the charred remains into a vat of acid. Big budget movies don't get any lazier and more inept than this. If this level of script quality reflects the standard of movies these days (and if the last two seasons of Game of Thrones do the same for TV productions), then we're all **** out of luck.

This zero rating isn't given out of spite, it just reflects what I think this movie is worth. Fan fiction will have a hard time managing to be worse than this.
TheGerm79Dec 20, 2019
What a nightmarish way to end this “Star Wars” trilogy. Unpolished and oddly paced fan service, the movie.
rykamaDec 19, 2019
It's not a terrible movie, but in terms of plot, it feels rushed and unrefined. It has two themes crashing and felt more like a war between Rian and JJ's two versions trying to make sense and come together. The use of Palpatine was notIt's not a terrible movie, but in terms of plot, it feels rushed and unrefined. It has two themes crashing and felt more like a war between Rian and JJ's two versions trying to make sense and come together. The use of Palpatine was not necessary and the way they utilized him was not well done. In terms of CGI, it's absolutely beautiful especially compared to recent movies. If you choose to go see it (which you should) don't expect a well put together film. However, it is the end of the skywalker saga and if you're a fan you wont walk away completely disappointed, but it is probably the worst star wars movie ever made. Expand
HoplitexDec 20, 2019
The first act is JJ Abrams forcefully throwing us down stairs so he can tell the story his way.

The second act is a series of plot holes, plot regression, and created characters to sell merch. The last act actually does ok, until you start

The last act actually does ok, until you start asking yourself how the hell this all happened and how we got here. When compared to the other two films... I guess we can be grateful JJ didn't plagiarize another Star Wars script.
Rj23Dec 20, 2019
This movie really was awful. It's not Abrams fault though. Rian Johnson made such a mess it was dead on arrival. Too many things not explained, Rey being OP af for no reason. Just a mess.
grayfogDec 20, 2019
One the worse star wars content I have ever seen. It's truly sad that the trilogy has to end with such a disrespect for the heritage of the franchise.
TwiTuDec 19, 2019
Here even I still thought that they would at least have listened a TINY TINY bit to their fan's critique, especially after the disasters that were Ep.8 and Solo. So I gave them a last chance. But they made everything worse actually.
This
This movie is obviously the last where Jar Jar Abrams has any say. The movie feels like he just made it to tell the fans a nice farewell-"F*ck you! I make this! Not you! You all are just id*ots anyway!". Yes, its is THAT bad and completely wasted time and money. Judging from the plot holes and incoherent lore, the makers must literally be thinking the audience has an average IQ of 50 and have never seen the old trilogies or know nothing about Star Wars whatsoever.

The only thing I can now hope for is that these episodes are going to be "remade" very very quickly. AKA completely new plot and characters. How about next year? And without Kennedy and of course Jar Jar or anyone who even slightly tolerated getting these movies released like that.
Or just forget them and never ever mention anything that happened in them, like the Ghostbusters remake.
nmuldoonDec 19, 2019
A horrible mess of a film, completely devoid of any original ideas and so desperate to retcon everything that the movie plays like a checklist made from a fan’s reddit post than an actual film. Not a single moment is given space or time toA horrible mess of a film, completely devoid of any original ideas and so desperate to retcon everything that the movie plays like a checklist made from a fan’s reddit post than an actual film. Not a single moment is given space or time to breathe, the film is so single-mindedly focused on hitting it’s plot beats that the characters become basically action figures. Motivations are abandoned and every character seems to just become a slave to the whims of a man who is so out of his depth. The film is so goddamn boring Expand
ElrosDec 20, 2019
Boring last 30min of movie I want to go sleep.Scenario trash.Thanks Ja Ja Abrams.
Radeck1337Dec 20, 2019
wasted my money.... -5/10 for a star wars film ... 2/10 for a film. 1 point for sound and one point for the grahics
Feyadsahid98Dec 19, 2019
As someone who liked the sequel trilogy so far, TROS is a failure of a film. The writing, directing, editing and many creative choices are deeply flawed. A lot of the film feels bloated and devoid of emotion. It is constantly trying toAs someone who liked the sequel trilogy so far, TROS is a failure of a film. The writing, directing, editing and many creative choices are deeply flawed. A lot of the film feels bloated and devoid of emotion. It is constantly trying to reference older SW films to the point of desperation, and it is evident that they are trying to undo many things from TLJ. Overall, the film is an absolute mess, plot points lack logic or are very rushed and the whole tone of the film seems off. It's so concerned with getting to the next scene as fast as possible to the point where it never really has an identity of its own and in the end, feels like a film empty of emotion. Expand
fabiosoyDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What Disney did with Luke Skywalker and all his legacy ... doesn’t have name. They totally broke the concept of the force.
Then it is hard to thing which character is more inconsequential...

Ben is useless in all the movie and he is only a supper to resurrect Rey ... and the kiss at the end... the people ware literally laughing in the cinema in that moment and seconds later he dies ... everybody else... “wtf”? Rey, all time the same ... totally overpowered... she was training but a moment later she could kill the emperor with full powers.

I can write for 1 hour but yeah ... they killed Star Wars... really sad what George Lucas did ...
lemonyDec 19, 2019
Pretty movie, but the characters and story are just so bad. It's better than Last Jedi, but that's not saying much.
ShineDogDec 20, 2019
Borderline incoherent, messy scripting, disappointing action. A film that feels like the first draft at every point. It's bad yall.
DARTHJARJADec 19, 2019
The worst in the saga, it is terribile. I liked jj but after this movie( i don't know if it is legale to call it in this way) i hate him, he ruined this fantastic saga
ArskiDec 19, 2019
Plot consistency and character development is absolutely skipped here, mostly due to lack of time. This movie is packed with all the bad SW things in my opinion - lots of jumping across the universe, explosions, blasters and other fights butPlot consistency and character development is absolutely skipped here, mostly due to lack of time. This movie is packed with all the bad SW things in my opinion - lots of jumping across the universe, explosions, blasters and other fights but at the same time this movie lacks heart, sense and purpose. Bad SW movie, bad movie in general. It's a shame that the beloved saga ends that way - except from few brilliant scenes this is so bad, that the 40% of exposition takes a form of one sentence pushed to you in the same beginning: "Palpatine is alive, and you're screwed"...and deal with it. Expand