Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: December 15, 2017
1,258
4,894
Watch Now
IanHBDec 20, 2017
While watching the movie, I felt like my whole family just died and someone was cracking inappropriate jokes in my ear, non-stop.
HunterZolomonJan 3, 2018
The worst part about this movie is not that it's a poorly written movie with terrible (or non-existant) character arcs, poor plot, out of place humor or ham-fisted political commentary. It's not even that it ignores established Star WarsThe worst part about this movie is not that it's a poorly written movie with terrible (or non-existant) character arcs, poor plot, out of place humor or ham-fisted political commentary. It's not even that it ignores established Star Wars canon or lore.

It is awful because it attempts to ruin everything about Star Wars that made it such a beloved story in the first place. Instead of wisdom, we get book burning. Instead of optimism and faith, we get nihilism. And instead of hope, we get pessimism and despair.

This movie is an all out assault on Star Wars as a phenomenon, it left me cold. It seems as if the people in charge of the franchise at Disney really hate the original trilogy.
LordGusJan 18, 2018
Many (former) fans have already stated opinions that are the samw as mine. In short the following are my main concerns: 1. They wrecked Luke Skywalker as a character 2. Too many CG critters designed to sell merchandise
3. Too much humour a la
3. Too much humour a la Spaceballs. (I love the humour in Spaceballs, but not in a Star Wars main entry movie) 4. A promising villain that turned out to be nothing
carlmacekJan 6, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst best seller of the history, Leia flying, stupid jokes like the "iron", those ridiculous birds, in that case better watch Spaceballs. Luke denigrated to the worst garbage of human being and with powers ridiculous for a Jedi, he died stupidly, please remake this film, this film should never had existed.I don't say that it is a bad movie because Luke died, in Episode VII Han Solo died and killed the possibility to ever play together with Luke again, but anyway I liked the movie as it was a decent plot, if you are going to kill a super idol do it for a good reason, like it was done in Episode 7, not kill him because he got tired after use too much Jedi Power and leave episode 9 with nobody, even with a good plot you should be very careful if kill the Luke, now everybody is dead as Carrie Fisher died in the real world, whats the point of Episode 9? Who will be the stars, Chewbacca and androids? Unless they bring Lando to episode 9 for sure only teenagers will go to cinema to watch it. I left my family in Christmas to go to watch this abomination, for a Star Wars movie, anyone would understand, but leave Christmas for this garbage? Most of fans say "pretend that this movie never existed" but it is difficult, specially that there will be an episode 9. Rian Johnson, you killed Star Wars. Expand
PatrickLouieEspDec 25, 2017
Worst Star Wars in history, disappointed. Disney ruined it big time , serves them right .
IxnatifualDec 25, 2017
The Last Jedi is a film with lots of window dressing but little in the way of substance or originality. Saying it is poorly written is somewhat of an understatement. Little in the story makes sense, and the sequel to The Force Awakens failsThe Last Jedi is a film with lots of window dressing but little in the way of substance or originality. Saying it is poorly written is somewhat of an understatement. Little in the story makes sense, and the sequel to The Force Awakens fails to pick up on many of the unanswered questions left open in the previous film. Events are clumsily forced, resorting to hand-waving at best and having competent characters acting jarringly stupid and out of character at worst.

Many of the scenes in the movie are rehashed versions of scenes from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, with the original participants in the scene substituted by the new cast. Usually there is a little twist making the scene slightly different than the original, but the movie becomes frustrating to watch as it rehashes scenes we’ve seen done better in previous films.

Not only that, but there are major things in both this and The Force Awakens that invalidate previous films and characters and makes you question what was the point of it all? Luke’s efforts to become a Jedi across three films seem wasted when Rey can exceed the power of one of the most powerful Force users in existence in about 20 minutes without having any training. The victory over the Empire means nothing when The First Order simply replaces them with their own playboy-dressing Emperor copy. Clones are no longer needed to have an infinite supply of Stormtroopers for yet again unexplained reasons. Even the victory over Starkiller base in The Force Awakens is disregarded as The First Order now apparently have conquered the entire galaxy, despite them being left vulnerable to retaliation for the atrocities committed in TFA.

While some parts feel a little too much like a video game, the movie’s special effects team and designers have generally done an outstanding job. And it would be unfair to not mention that there are a few very interesting and intense scenes that are not only epic, but also manage to capture the personality and relationship between key characters in the universe. In these moments it’s nice to see what is actually a great cast given an opportunity to show what they can do.

Unfortunately, these moments are rare in a lazily copy-pasted minimum effort story that leaves you wondering why Disney couldn’t be bothered to get a decent writer or writing team on board for such a prestigious project, instead of simply assuming the masses aren’t intellectually capable of looking past the flash, and that the usual review outlets lack the courage or integrity to call a spade a spade.

But maybe the joke’s on us, because ticket sales are sky high and the critic scores are just about doubling the user scores across the web. For me personally, I have lost the appetite for watching the final chapter. But will people forgive the transgression or mindlessly shamble into the dark theater again next year? I fear they might.
RianJohnsonDec 22, 2017
There are movies that I like, and there many that I don't. But this one... I really hate it. Spoiler alert: This movie destroys everything that you know about Star Wars.
BonsantoDec 30, 2017
The worst SW movie ever. The plot doesn't have any sense, severe abuse of jokes, many SW's rules violated, many "plot twists" are just bad ones, too much politics in the movie (girls are smart, men are stupid and violent, all white men areThe worst SW movie ever. The plot doesn't have any sense, severe abuse of jokes, many SW's rules violated, many "plot twists" are just bad ones, too much politics in the movie (girls are smart, men are stupid and violent, all white men are all nazis except for Luke, rich people are evil in many ways, etc), many dialogs are very bad. The movie is so bad that Phantom Menace looks like a master piece compared to it. Expand
DrewMann82Dec 21, 2017
I'm writing this review to document that I am a real human being and not a bot, which frankly is a pathetic excuse for apologists of this thing to make. The Last Jedi is just not a good movie, if this were any other franchise we would all beI'm writing this review to document that I am a real human being and not a bot, which frankly is a pathetic excuse for apologists of this thing to make. The Last Jedi is just not a good movie, if this were any other franchise we would all be laughing about it in a MST3K/Rifftrax sort of way; because Star Wars means so much to people there is "polarization". This movie isn't bad because I didn't get what I wanted as a fan of the series, this movie is bad because I didn't get what I wanted as a fan of movies in general. Lame jokes, unlikeable characters, a boring plot that goes nowhere and some of the worst editing and pacing I've seen this side of the Transformers franchise. In six months when this trash is on home media all of its supporters are going to have a hard time defending it. The only good thing about this movie is the commitment by every actor to try and make it work. Star Wars movies are supposed to leave you with the want to come back to the galaxy far, far away and I honestly don't care after this movie. Expand
RobinLoMar 21, 2018
Worst star wars movie ever made.it disrespected the force and everything we love...
kstud1Jan 6, 2018
I don’t understand how this movie has an 85 on metacritic clearly the critics see movies one way and the public sees the another, I don’t know who pays the critics, besides the movie studios, they need to review movies for themselves and stopI don’t understand how this movie has an 85 on metacritic clearly the critics see movies one way and the public sees the another, I don’t know who pays the critics, besides the movie studios, they need to review movies for themselves and stop giving their opinion to the public because we are not getting paid so we will be honest. Expand
Gabriel_SDec 23, 2017
First thing. No, I'm not a bot. I've watched the movie in the theatre, thought about watching it a second time, but I really did not like many things in this movie. So instead of giving Disney more of my money, I've came here to express myFirst thing. No, I'm not a bot. I've watched the movie in the theatre, thought about watching it a second time, but I really did not like many things in this movie. So instead of giving Disney more of my money, I've came here to express my point of view.

The director ignored many aspects and plots from previous movies and novels of the franchise. Even from The Force Awakens.

I felt that many characters were thrown there just to be a mean to an end, even the big ones. Which I think it's not a big problem if you are making a movie in a new universe, or trying to push a new franchise/saga. But it can be a big problem on a well stabilished universe like this.

A lot of things that could have been or needed to be explained, are just ignored or like Rian Johnson himself later said "aren't important to the history", or "weren't important in the 70s movie".

They had an oportunity to make an amazing trilogy, where the old character passes the torch to the new hero and teaches her about the things that he did right and wrong, so she can become even stronger than him. And they could have done it in a way that feels respectful, nostalgic, coherent with the character and at the same time showing that he is not a perfect being.

But they didn't. And in my point of view, there are things in this movie that some Star Wars fans may find wrong, incoherent and in some cases even downright insulting.
waitandhope123Jan 3, 2018
I'm sorry to tell you all but this film is one of the worst monstrosities I've ever had the privilege of witnessing in the theater. I paid matinee prices so I didn't get too ripped off but wow I'd be really mad to pay full price and do 3DI'm sorry to tell you all but this film is one of the worst monstrosities I've ever had the privilege of witnessing in the theater. I paid matinee prices so I didn't get too ripped off but wow I'd be really mad to pay full price and do 3D too! Everything is wrong here, nothing makes one moment of sense, the acting is just terrible beyond words (except Mark Hamill), everything feels out of order most of the time and never for a moment was I thinking "wow this is going great." I see what happened here now, Disney's Kathleen Kennedy stated in an interview they write stories then fit characters around them. They don't write for the sake of characters. That's exactly what this felt like, as if the stories being given had no relation to any of these people we learned about in Force Awakens, instead it feels like they have been put into an alternate universe where everything has different universal constants/laws even peoples thought processes. I never thought a modern day film could ever be this bad, especially one with such a large budget as this I KNOW NOW I WAS WRONG. Nothing can fix this mess, it's written worse than a childs story, it's absurd nonsense that goes nowhere. I'd rather watch the prequels every single day of my life than see this one more time. Expand
bob778Dec 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Badly written and destined to attract new fans but if the producers are interested in a whole new era they have a tough task with better stories and plots. It's like watching Harry Potter without Harry. It's completely disappointing. Expand
SexyMangoDec 31, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don’t understand people giving this movie 10s, it’s ridiculous.
I personally didn’t like how they killed off Snoke. No explanation on who he was, what he wanted. Oh well. Flying granny scene was .... I think pathetic is the right word. In the middle, when Rey and Kylo were connecting I really thought something special was going to happen. Either them switching sides of the force, evil Rey, good Kylo. Or them somehow reshaping the force into some new order... Maybe even bringing good and evil together through love. nah, R is good,K is evil. Boooring.
Curly hair guy, his story arch was pointless, I don’t remember his name. Purple hair lady was a god awful leader and I’m glad she’s dead (also don’t remember her name).
Finn sadly got stuck into another pointless story arch with that annoying, unimportant, tertiary character, Rose. I do remember her name just because of how incredibly shallow her character was. She RUINED his heroic suicide and then told him she loved him just before dying.... Like he met you not even a day ago you **** weirdo. GROSS. Special effects were top notch, even if some things were really out of place. Like those weird penguins and the red salt lake.
I did love the scene where ray touches the rock at the bottom of the island though. I Probably won’t go to watch the next one.
yelrah56Dec 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the single worst movie that I have ever had the displeasure of seeing in a theater. I've never actually considered leaving a cinema before in my life. The reasons for which this movie is just horrible range from big picture to nitty gritty, from personal opinions to objectively bad decisions. I'll lay it out as such.

Objectively bad:
- Fin and Rose's plot takes up half of the movie and accomplishes absolutely nothing.
- General Gender Studies's plan to escape the ship doesn't make any sense: "We're just going to abandon ship in these transports and hope that the enemy - who has surrounded us and is watching our every move - doesn't notice dozens of ships leaving out of the hangar."
- Fin actually tries to make himself useful near the end in what was about to probably be the best scene in the movie but Rose ruins it because "MUH LOVE INTEREST" or some such crap.

Personal Opinion:
- Awful unfunny middle-school humor such as Poe's prank call in the beginning scene
- Movie is saturated with jokes that don't ever allow us to take it seriously. For example, when Luke asks Rey where she is from and Rey says she's from nowhere, this is in the middle of an important conversation but Luke kills the mood with a poorly timed joke about Jakku really being nowhere.
- There was no reason for Admiral Tumblr to hide her plan to her staff. It's clear that they just did this so that Poe would mutiny and so that they could use the moment to talk about "toxic masculinity" since that's what Poe's character has been reduced to in this movie.
- Terrible acting overall. The characters speak like children. Remember in the casino scene when Fin is positively GAWWKING at the glamour of the place and can't even contain himself because apparently he's as excitable as a puppy on steroids? And when he and Rose find the generic master hacker they literally stop and stare and exclaim out loud "There he is! The master hacker!" Didn't anyone ever teach these idiots not to scream their intentions out loud?
- Goddamn SUPER LEIA Nitty Gritty:
- World War 2 style gravity bomb bays in SPACE
- Multiple times where a ship is exposed to the vacuum of space without there being a forceful depressurization (leia coming back onto the ship, the last bomber in the opening scene literally having holes in it, the hangar of Snoke's ship still having air in it after getting shredded through by the Resistance flagship)
-Rose's awful quote after "saving" Fin is objectively incorrect and stupid.

The only reason I give this movie a 2 rather than a 0 is because of a couple select moments which are good. I enjoyed Luke's force apparition near the end and I thought it was cool when Vice Admiral Vag went full 9/11 on Snoke's ship. That said I would have preferred if Luke had actually been at his death in person, and I think it would have been better if it was Admiral Ackbar who went "Allahu Ackbar!" rather than Field Marshall Feminist but whatever at least those moments were still cool.
EhNam1313Dec 27, 2017
Rian Johnson Throws away everything from TFA and does not continue a damn thing. The Story is boring and not original or fresh. If you want Dramatic Deaths with zero point then this might be for you.Terrible Film that craps all over Skywalker.
Brandhorst1980Dec 19, 2017
Overall, the film was not good. Some positive points from the film: 2 Great battle scenes at the beginning and end, Kylo Ren is an incredible character and well acted, great character chemistry with Kylo, Ren and Luke.

Here is what is bad

Here is what is bad about this movie: Bad overall plot, subplots that go no where (as for the people who say it's ok the subplot doesn't work because people really fail in real life, that's not why I go to a Star Wars movie, I want to see our heroes succeed and the subplot was too drawn out and just didn't work with the story, I don't care about the Tauntan story), Luke's character was a coward (Mark Hamill did a great job, not his fault the story was bad), huge let down at the battle between Kylo and Luke, that should have been a real fight and then to have him die like that is not cool. Furthermore, I don't have a problem with the whole "anyone can use the force" but you need to still have training and stuff to do so! You can write a new and fresh story, but don't destroy the foundation of the series!
GrecobiJan 8, 2018
Visually stunning, horrendous story!

If you expect a movie to look beautiful and have some amazing special effects, this is perfect for you. If you want a cohesive and compelling story, do yourself a favour and save your money. The movie
Visually stunning, horrendous story!

If you want a cohesive and compelling story, do yourself a favour and save your money. The movie consists of three main storylines and two of those are 100% artificial and would not have happened if certain characters acted in a logical way. It felt like they just existed to give character stuff to do.

Furthermore, you really experience the lack of a common thread for this sequel trilogy of Star Wars. Apparently, the writers/director did not plan out major plot points in advance and loose story ends from the previous movie are mostly ditched. In addition, some characters have a different personality than before and no visible arc throughout the film.

I would give 'The Last Jedi' zero points but admittedly the visuals are great and the score from John Williams is top-notch as always. Nevertheless, terrible Sci-Fi movie and even worse Star Wars film.
caungardhDec 26, 2017
Did they just took my money, while giving me the finger?
....yeah, **** you too.
elcasarJan 6, 2018
Visually stunning, but a terrible plot and even more pointless side plot. Rian Johnson seemed more interested in upsetting expectations of the audience than in the story of the characters of this film. In the end I had an unpleasant tasteVisually stunning, but a terrible plot and even more pointless side plot. Rian Johnson seemed more interested in upsetting expectations of the audience than in the story of the characters of this film. In the end I had an unpleasant taste in my mouth that didn't feel like Star Wars. I think this might be least favorite Star Wars film of them all. Expand
FrostionDec 24, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie marks the end of the good old Star Wars quality movies. This movie has ruined Luke Skywalkers character, made the Imperial faction’s officers into jokes and comical reliefs, there is no consistency in the movie when it comes to morale (OK for the rebel vice admiral to suicide attack, but not when Finn wants to … it’s OK to kill and eat fish, but not OK to eat flying penguins .. and so on), this movie is so political correctly loaded that one wants to throw up (the rich 1% are cruel to animals, use child slaves, sell weapons to all sides and want to have war … bla bla bla) and like 33% of this movie is about a pointless side mission that has no meaning in the overall plot, with two characters who have no role in the overall plot (Finn and Rose). On top of all this, one could write a book about how Star Wars 8 breaks (or violates) tons of Star Wars canon and continuity. Overall: Disney has killed Star Wars as we knew it, and a new money grinding machine monster is born :-( Expand
squashedrexDec 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Since when is fuel an issue for Star Wars starships. Why do we need a vegan Wookie. Thanks for killing Akbar and giving us that purple haired monstrosity. Who was Snope, we'll never know. Rose...straight out of High School Musical. Expand
CursedderbDec 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First half of the movie is acceptable then some where in galaxy far far away... the rest of the move waits sitting in carbonite. The second half is complete banth poodoo. Talk about having no idea what to do. Please don't insert SJW plugs into a movie franchise that has been fighting stereotypes since the late 70's. Kylo is a cool antagonist, Rey is an awesome protagonist, Finn was boring, complete waste of Luke. The director wasted Reys potential by trying to be artsy. Expand
witness01Jan 4, 2018
Avoiding any discussion about Star Wars and its legacy, the problem is the script and its huge and unforgivable mistakes.
IdfireJan 9, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. spoilers
pros. music is great and visuelle it really pretty. actor tried there best but that is all i can say off good think. otherwise it look messy and lazy script, plot hole. and no disgrad for plot from TAF. borrows a lot from empire strikes back and return of jedi. really disappointing.
SoekermanJan 31, 2018
I would give you a star for the visuals and sound. But what you did to Luke... I wish I could score this in the negative. Ruin Johnston... shame on you.
NewzealandDec 25, 2017
This movie left me empty. It was way too much like Empire Strikes Back, but in such a bad way because it was so disconnected and implausible. So many lines said by characters made no sense...a disconnected senseless movie. I have neverThis movie left me empty. It was way too much like Empire Strikes Back, but in such a bad way because it was so disconnected and implausible. So many lines said by characters made no sense...a disconnected senseless movie. I have never watched a movie and thought, what are they doing, why did they say that? And if the director could please tell me how bombs fall in the near vacuum of space? They really need to teach more science in schools. How about no bombs at all. I thought Star Wars was about laser beams and light sabers. I could go on, but why bother, let's just join the critics, clap our hands, and drool at all the fancy cinematography. Note, I am an old Star Wars fan, but have no desire to watch any more new movies. Excuse me, I need to leave and attempt to empty my memory of this ridiculous movie. Expand
WroeyDec 20, 2017
Gutted, this film was awful - no wonder Disney forced US cinemas to show it on their largest screens for a minimum of 4 weeks. From the opening 5 mins this film was a farce, at first I thought I was watching a sequel to spaceballs with theGutted, this film was awful - no wonder Disney forced US cinemas to show it on their largest screens for a minimum of 4 weeks. From the opening 5 mins this film was a farce, at first I thought I was watching a sequel to spaceballs with the 'your mum' jokes and a certain scene which looked like a cross between Mary Poppins and superman but then the jokes come to an aprupt stop when you see what they do to Luke, totally betraying his character. Expand
NikolayGJan 5, 2018
There are spoilers in this review.

There are spoilers in this review.

TLJ was the single biggest motion picture letdown of my life. Disney should have released this parody on April 1st. There are over 82,000 signatures on a change.org petition to remove TLJ from Star Wars canon as of 1/6/18. Disney won't do that, but that there is a petition at all conveys that something is wrong here. And something is. Aside from being a bad movie, TLJ refutes the values of Star Wars. Disney pretends complaints show how sophisticated TLJ is. Those dumb fans, they don't 'get it'. But last I checked, thin characterization, using characters simply as vehicles for action, inconsistency within a trilogy, and thinking ships need fuel in space to keep moving, were not signs of sophistication. The discrepancy with pro reviews may be explained by the fact that pros' publications receive Disney advertising dollars. I give TLJ a 1 for the actors. They are not to blame. But the writing is ruinous to the entire franchise.

First, too much CGI, visually messy scenes. The movie had no idea what to do with Finn. The casino planet scene was filler. And how is it possible, after destroying Starkiller Base, that massive weapon, that the First Order seconds later has all but vanquished the Resistance? There's no gap between VII and VIII. (There was a gap of 3 years between ANH and The Empire Strikes Back.) So why is the First Order in such top form after such a huge defeat at the hands of the Resistance (now inexplicably called the Rebellion). It's like the Resistance's accomplishments of the last movie accomplished nothing at all. By the way, I'm not a bot. And I'm also not alt right or a Trump supporter. I'm white, married to a brown woman of African descent (she was not born in the USA and her first language is not English). We have a young daughter who loves BB8, R2D2, Rey, and light sabers. But that's based on TFA. We wouldn't allow her to watch TLJ any more than we'd let her watch Sesame Street themed porn.

The biggest problems with TLJ were Luke's characterization, the lack of characterization of Rey, and the anti-Star Wars theme which rendered this not Star Wars, but Mirror Universe Star Wars, or Bizarro Star Wars.

Regarding Rey, if you think her TFA "vision" had meaning, or there was any rhyme or reason to Maz Kanata saying to Rey, "Now it calls out to you" (referring to Darth Vader's and Luke's light saber) you will be disappointed. IT IS ALL DROPPED. The identity of Rey's parents might have helped explain why she's so great at everything, but this was squandered. This is not a sequel, it is not act 2, it has almost nothing to do with TFA. Ep 2 continued Ep 1; 5 continued 4; but Ep 8 spits on Ep 7. The idea that Rey could beat Luke (trained by two Jedi masters) in a fight is ludicrous to the Nth degree, especially when you consider how much training Luke (not to mention Anakin) required. Luke lost his hand to Vader because, while he trained under Yoda, he left too early. He paid a price. Rey pays no price. She's perfect without education beyond a two minute meditation session. A protagonist so strong is not credible, and is boring because nothing can threaten her, thus no suspense. Johnson knows this; it's why the last act shifts and all but abandons Rey; there is no peril for Rey now that she's superwoman. He's left JJ with nothing for Ep. IX. As for Luke, this was anti-Luke. Luke was aware Vader had killed millions, yet in Return of the Jedi, refused to kill him. So Luke's instinct to kill Ben in TLJ wasn't in keeping with Luke's character. And would Luke abandon his cause, and his SISTER, for decades, to hide out? No. But if so, why did he leave a clue to his whereabouts for people to follow? He was searching for the first jedi temple why? No reason at all. Rian Johnson wasn't consistent with the original films or Force Awakens. TLJ is hermetically sealed off from and doesn't fit with the saga. It takes place in a separate universe. The statements throughout TLJ that heroism and sacrifice are not positive values, that there is no difference between good and bad, are anti-Star Wars. They also deny TFA, not to mention the intense sacrifices of Rogue One that made everyone's lives in TLJ possible. Bottom line. TLJ is creepy and nihilistic.

Being pro-women is great. But Poe sexist, when Mon Mothma led the Rebels for 4 movies and then Leia led them, is absurd. Making every man bumbling, evil, or arrogant is hard to miss. You don't have to tear men down in order to build women up. That is just what feminists are always publicly claiming they are NOT about. Finally, the dialogue has no personality. In TFA when Finn helps Rey on the Falcon just before Han shows up - has more personality than in all of TLJ. I just bought Thrawn book 1 for an alternative post-Episode VI saga that makes sense. Disney has the legal right to make canon but that's an empty right when there is no spirit behind it. I'll decide what I consider canon.
ARMOR152Dec 20, 2017
Horrible movie. Dozens of plot holes and slapstick humor. The director has clearly never seen a Star Wars movie. There was so much potential after episode 7 raised lots of questions, but this is pure garbage.
fermentingteaDec 30, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I generally refrain from posting reviews, but after repeatedly hearing claims that the only critics of this movie were "russian bots" or "fanatic fanboys", I was compelled to make an account and post my review.

Where to start?

The single greatest problem with The Last Jedi is the writing. From the messy plot, to the egregious oversights and contradictions, to the absurd, repetitive dialogue ("Godspeed" and "page-turner" is all I'll say); the script of The Last Jedi stymies the movie to such a degree that even if everything else about it were great, it still wouldn't be a good movie.

But everything else isn't great. The lead actors are wooden and uninspired (with the exception of Mr. Driver, a lone bright spot. Fisher, Serkis, and Hamill were fine too, but alas this isn't their movie), though to be fair they aren't given much to work with. There's a plethora of 'jokes', which isn't inherently problematic, until you begin to realize they're only there to keep you from falling asleep. With every change of scenery there's a new "animal" to meet, and the movie takes extra care to ensure we get a lengthy, zoomed-in shot of each one's cute, pouting face (Don't worry if you didn't see them all, numerous toy versions will be available at your nearest retailer).

Some of scenes are carbon-copies of those found in previous Star Wars iterations (Hoth "Salt Edition"), others look like they were plucked right out of an anime strip (Snoke's Big Send-Off). On the flipside, we do get to meet some new characters. There's Benicio Del Toro's DJ, a hacker/thief who is perpetually on the verge of having a seizure, Kelly Marie Tran's Rose Tico (A play to overseas audiences in Asia? Or a sneaky way to further marginalize Finn's character? We'll never know), and finally Laura Dern's dear Admiral Holdo, a stoic, purple-haired rebel commander who just barely manages to lose out on the coveted "Worst Battle Tactician of 2017 Award" to General Hux and the entirety of the First Order military command (Self-sacrifice isn't heartfelt unless you let half of your forces die needlessly beforehand. And where are the TIE fighters?)

Now, in fairness, Rian Johnson does move the franchise forward quite a bit. We learn that there's much more to the Force than previously thought:
1. You can facetime your frenemies.
2. Force-ghosts are a thing (those silly Jedi in the past only used Holograms)
3. Remote light-saber activation (makes you wonder why we keep seeing all of this 'dueling' nonsense)
4. Out of oxygen? Never fear, the force-float is here!

We learn there are Space casinos where everyone dresses...wait for it...exactly like they do on Earth casinos! And apparently fuel is now a big deal, although sending out your smaller ships to collect some isn't allowed for some reason. Animal cruelty is BAD (but the planetary-genocides commited by the First Order in The Force Awakens have become a thing of the past. After all, a week is a long time to remember such trivialities).

So yeah, that's the jist. Some people may complain about things like Luke's behavioral changes, or Snoke's unspoken backstory, or Rey's 'grounded' parents, but those things aren't important. What's important is you go into this movie without clearly formed expectations, or a clearly functioning brain for that matter. I recommend copious amounts of your favorite drug or intoxicant of choice, so you can watch the lovely special effects without wondering why the First Order ships don't use hyperspeed to overtake the fleeing rebel fleet, or why the rebel fighters are lining up to face the oncoming AT-ATs in trenches a la WWI and not hiding behind their blast-proof door.

If you don't, you may just start wishing for everyone to kamikaze each other.
FabiYangJan 4, 2018
Wonderful movie! I really enjoyed it! Just kidding. Boring movie. Not what you want from Star Wars. Too many microtransactions. I fell asleep near the end. Luke Skywalker plays a completely wrong role although Mark Hamill does his best withWonderful movie! I really enjoyed it! Just kidding. Boring movie. Not what you want from Star Wars. Too many microtransactions. I fell asleep near the end. Luke Skywalker plays a completely wrong role although Mark Hamill does his best with the script he is given. They completely destroy the setup built in episode 7 and the gameplay is quite boring despite the nice graphics. Snoke's role is undermined completely despite the buildup in 7. Unsatisfactory answers to all questions asked in 7. 2489/114749 Expand
tsayutiJan 5, 2018
TLJ very disappointed in my opinion..it killed the legacy,spirit,and philosophy of Star Wars..I don't have any great moments in the story...so much ruined..especially fate of Luke,that hurt me so much, he deserved great honor..I think theyTLJ very disappointed in my opinion..it killed the legacy,spirit,and philosophy of Star Wars..I don't have any great moments in the story...so much ruined..especially fate of Luke,that hurt me so much, he deserved great honor..I think they (disney) murdered Star Wars,and i don't know can they redeem in eps. IX... Expand
AcmeRocketsledJan 8, 2018
Dear Rian. I didn't think people actually killed golden geese but I was wrong. Your movie hasn't left me angry, just very, very, very disappointed. A lifetime of hero worship for Luke Skywalker has been destroyed. What a tragedy.
JonOfTheShredDec 24, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a complete mess. Not just the movie, the reactions as well. Are journalists being paid to defend it vehemently, criticizing anyone who dares speak out against the bland, boring plot or forced characters? I don't even know where to begin in expressing my dislike of this film.

I found The Force Awakens underwhelming. And the prequels were never fan favorites. But The Last Jedi was so frustratingly terrible, all four of those films look pretty damn good in retrospect. I'll cliff some of the ridiculous aspects of this movie.

*** SPOILERS ***

- Rather than giving Poe character development, he was used as some ham-fisted caricature of "toxic masculinity" as the buzzword regurgitating misandrist psychos like to say.

- General Tumblr with the purple hair had to be the most useless character in the entire franchise. Worse than Jar Jar, worse than Rose. She was just there to patronize Poe a half dozen times. Then she gets this big heroic death? That moment should have been given to Leia or Admiral Ackbar. Hell, where's Mon Mothma? The moment was one of the few cool things in the movie, wasted on this terrible character.

- Speaking of General Tumblr, why doesn't she just tell Poe what the plan is? Oh right, they needed a plot thread to bash "toxic masculinity" over the head. They needed to show Poe "mansplaining" her over and over again to drive home how terrible males are. I usually laugh when people say movies are SJW propaganda, this time...I'm not laughing.

- Princess Leia floating through space was terrible. Absolutely abysmal.

- Luke Skywalker was given the worst treatment. - Rian did all these "double twists" to shock the audience, but really it just seemed extremely lazy. A sort of combination of the M-Night Shaymalalianlyn twist, meets a horror movie jump scare. For example....

(1) Oh no, Leia is dead! GOTCHA! She's gonna float back into the ship through space!
(2) Oh wow, Kylo just took out Snoke and is going to join Rey! GOTCHA, he was just taking over the First Order!
(3) Holy **** Luke Skywalker finally came out of retirement! GOTCHA, he was a hologram, he survives! GOTCHA AGAIN, he actually doesn't survive, he dies because he used up his force powers!
(4) Oh no, they couldn't find the code hacker! Now they're in jail! GOTCHA, a stuttering Benecio Del Toro is their cellmate and just happens to be a hacker that will help them out! GOTCHA AGAIN, he's gonna betray them for the First Order!
(5) So Finn and Rose are gonna die, apparently? GOTCHA, Finn is gonna fight off Phasma again with three swipes of a sword and kick her into a pit.
(6) Rey and Luke's big moment from Force Awakens is finally here! GOTCHA, it isn't big, it's comedic relief. Luke hucks the "laser sword" away like a syphilis ridden ****

I could go on and on, but I've made my point. The double twist didn't "Subvert expectations," it felt forced every single time. Every "rug pulling" moment was supposed to be this big revelation. I can imagine Rian standing with a beaming smile, arms crossed as each double twist unfolds. But really, the result isn't some shocking revelation, it's like someone runs up and gives you a wet willy, or a wedgie, or points on your right shoulder than slinks off to the left. Only to spit in your face when you turn around.

That's another thing, this movie has "Nolan Batman" syndrome in that it characters FRANKLY EXPRESS THEIR MOTIVATIONS AND EMOTIONS. You ever hear of "Show, don't tell"? And it moves beyond just characters motivations, the Disney corporation even shoe-horned it's own agenda into the film, unsurprisingly through Dark Emo Jedi Kylo Ren. "KILL THE PAST. KILL THE PAST. THE PAST IS DEAD." Or, in other words, the verbal confirmation that this is, in fact, a giant double handed middle finger to fans of Star Wars.

KILL THE PAST! KILL THE PAST! How about kill the past 3 hours wasted in the cinema on this hokey, forced, bland series of double twists? If you really break the movie down, it's 4 scenes stretched way beyond their amusement. 1) Space battle / space chase
2) Luke "training" Rey, and Rey face-timing Kylo
3) Casino Heist
4) Reverse Hoth (with salt instead of snow)

One last thing, why the **** does everyone keep saying "THIS IS SO UNLIKE STAR WARS!" The double twists really got your nips that hard? This is just as much a rehash as Force Awakens. It just borrowed moments from across all three OT films, rather than being A New Hope. For example, the throne room scene from ROTJ, Battle of Hoth from ESB with salt instead of snow, Rey training under a goofy acting exiled Jedi Master and eventually facing her psychological demons in a dark cave / tree when staring into her own face, "We got away too easy, they're tracking us" but it's THROUGH HYPERSPACE this time, guys, what a fresh innovation!

I'm usually lenient on films. "It wasn't that bad, guys!" But his was a failed remake, failed reboot, and failed sequel all in one. Nice hat trick.
SevastiorDec 30, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rose is a worthless character shoe-horned in for god knows what reason and is more irritating than Jar-Jar - they killed the wrong sister at the film's onset. The casino arc is trash, if the producers really wanted it to still be in the film, they should have just made Finn and Poe go together and scrapped Rose. The grating humor is out of place in a film where the good guys are being annihilated. Jumping to hyperspace as a weapon goes against the very idea of hyperspace and if it is a viable strategy, why not have any of the support ships of the rebel fleet sacrifice itself with a droid pilot at the start of the film. For that matter, why not jump a ship into the first and second Death Star in the original films, the introduction of this tactic is completely unjustified and not well thought out. This film makes the events of episode 7 completely irrelevant and implies that no level of attack on the First Order will have any effect. Apparently, destroying star killer base did nothing but kill Han while causing no permanent damage to the first order. Why must we not see Luke performing any acts of true power, it saddens me that the chosen one who defeated Vader and the Emperor is relegated to mere astral projection as the extent if his power. Next Leia apparently has the force power to survive the vacuum of space despite no real previous indication that she could do more than sense some truths through the force. Please, this is 2017 how can the animation of her flying through space back to the ship be laughably bad. Why god, did they have to ruin Rey's back story - there were so many amazing options they could have gone with, but they chose to make her essentially and orphan (the most cliche and lazy back story imaginable). Why did we get the casino arc instead of a Rey back story? Next, how can the all-wise, all-seeing Snoke be defeated by such a crappy trick as that employed by Kylo?

The only really redeeming parts of this film are those with the force link between Rey and Kylo, the scene with the dark side cave, and the fight between Rey/Kylo and the praetorian guard.

All together, I fail to see how any critic with a "developed" cinematic pallet could say this is a good movie. This film is a disgrace to the Star Wars inheritance, and I can not imagine how a critic could think otherwise without having been bribed or strong-armed into a good review by the demonic Disney executives seeking to keep the film from tanking in the box office. The entire casino subplot is a worthless arc motivated by the typical Hollywood political sentiment that is incapable of seeing its own hypocrisy - like DiCaprio lecturing us on the environment while hosting birthday parties on mega yachts and hiring private planes. Lead by example you swinish, elitist, Hollywood hypocrits!
NATED066Jan 2, 2018
"The Last Jedi" is a film that combines deep visceral imagery with a terrible plot which insults both the intelligence of the viewer and the legacy of the original trilogy.

Director Rian Johnson must have felt the need to put his own "stamp"

Director Rian Johnson must have felt the need to put his own "stamp" on the series, but in doing so he ruined every story arc which had been created by JJ Abrams in "The Force Awakens". Spoilers ahead.

Snoke is killed early on without any indication of WHO he was and HOW he was able to build the First Order out of the remains of the empire. Rey's parents are dismissed as drunks who abandoned her. Rey also somehow forgets that Ren murdered his own father and starts to fall for him because he has dreamy pectoral muscles. Luke is a grouchy old man who "ran away" and refuses to help. Rey masters the force in like 1 day and overpowers Luke. The resistance is a pathetic bunch who can't seem to get anything right. The entire plot is a low speed chase scene through space where nothing happens. Story aside though, Rian Johnson makes several changes to the way things work in the Star Wars universe. Ships now run out of fuel. The force is mastered (by Rey) in like 1 day. Hyperspace ships can somehow interact with other non-hyperspace ships (this has never been the case before). Laser bullets "arc" like artillery shells. Bombs "drop" in space, and the list goes on.

Additionally, for a movie with a running time of 2.5 hours, nothing really happens to advance the story and by the end of the movie you're left wondering "What did I just watch?"

Save yourself the money and do not see this movie. Maybe go watch the original 3 again instead.
StalagCrackJan 3, 2018
It's just a mess wrapped in stunning visuals. The last film deletes the achievements of the original trilogy, but perhaps most disrespctful are the blunt retcons. The whole movie pretends to be surprising, critics praise it for subvertingIt's just a mess wrapped in stunning visuals. The last film deletes the achievements of the original trilogy, but perhaps most disrespctful are the blunt retcons. The whole movie pretends to be surprising, critics praise it for subverting expectations, but I can't help to think it's just badly written when the main point of the previous movie was getting the map to Luke Skywalker, which Luke himself left hidden so that the Rebels, in time of need, may find him and seek his aid. This movie completely forgets that point and pretends it never existed. This is not surprising plot twist, it's just cheap. Expand
PennDisneyJan 4, 2018
Like from the majority of user reviews here about The Last Jedi, I had no choice than to give this 0, and it can't be ever more so box offices said. To make matters worse, when Star Wars first came out May 27th, 1977, George Lucas didn'tLike from the majority of user reviews here about The Last Jedi, I had no choice than to give this 0, and it can't be ever more so box offices said. To make matters worse, when Star Wars first came out May 27th, 1977, George Lucas didn't hoped at all any success for his than-developed films, and yet was that too badly said. I'm sorry, Rian Johnson, and J.J. Adams, but they're all wrong when it expected better, and now operosely wanting to have back Darth Maul. Else, they riot The Disney Company. Expand
starwarseddieMar 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is so bad, both me and my father who are lifelong fans are insulted. We both have seen every star wars in the theater since 1977, and we can honestly say that when Lucas sold it to Disney it was over because clearly the same man no longer has his fingerprints anywhere on the movies. Even Mark Hamill in recent interviews slammed this movie. "Its not how I would have handled the situation as Luke Skywalker." Lets go over some points why this movie was terrible: 1. The first three movies, 1977 1980 1982 were basically a space soap opera. You became emotionally invested in the main 7-10 characters. The movie plot was built around these characters with action but it was always about these characters which became family.
2. The new movies. Never build up characters up the same way. Who cares about that new pilot? Who really cares about Ren like you cared about Princess Leia? These people never grew or were introduced like a family as in the first movies. The were just individuals wandering around the plot points on separate paths. This did not allow you to become emotionally invested with them.
3. The plot is haphazard, like pieces of a puzzle scattered all about a table from a 1000 piece puzzle. There were many points where you were saying to yourself, why is this part here? For example, why am I watching an alien horse breakout for 15 minutes?
4. Weak bad guy. The first three star wars movies there was a strong bad guy. Darth Vader. This new bad guy? Unsure of himself. Weak. Self doubting. That is really poor for a movie. You want strong opposite polar characters. The bad and the good. Darth Vader and Princess Leia. 5. You can no longer vibe with the old characters they brought back. Its like going to prison for 30 years then coming back home and realizing you dont really know these people anymore. Leia is some old lady no longer with the fiery personality she once had. She doesnt look or act the same. No longer know or recognize her. Luke is now a quitter. Doesnt act like Luke Skywalker. Even tried to murder his apprentice in his sleep. Dies at the end for no reason, almost like he just gave up. Not the Luke I know. And Han just came back for a cameo last movie before he got dispatched. All of them never got back like a family, they were all on their own separate paths. And don't forget the awkward hug between Han and Leia. No romantic long drawn out kiss between them now that they are old, right?
6. Same old (general) storyline, poorly rehashed. Hey, didnt the republic win at then end of Star wars 6 in 1983? Once again its the empire or some version of it chasing down a small band of rebels. Already been there, done that.
So to recap, this was a jigsaw scattered movie with a weak plot with characters you cant emotionally invest in containing cameos of characters you formerly loved but cannot reconnect with basically redoing a movie plot that was already handed in the first three Star Wars movies. It is quite clear the that man who did the first 6 movies handed it off to someone else and these 2 recent movies are somewhat soulless in comparison, being cranked out by a corporate entity who bought the intellectual property with the motive of profit. Yes, of this writing, the movie made close to 800 million dollars. Which means the bottom line says they are going to make more. However as people clue in that these are not the same movies they used to be, profits will fall.
In my personal library I have on DVD on a shelf Star Wars (1977) The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and the Return of the Jedi (1983) along with the next 3 prequels from the early to mid 2000s (Star wars I-III). And as far as I am concerned, that is it. Series completed. These last two movies were like poor fan movies. Yes, this movie blew. I am going to have to cleanse the palate by watching the original Star Wars and forgot I ever saw this.
fishfrozenDec 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really hate this movie. Full of plot holes! If light speed traveling could turn a ship into a light speed torpedo, why bother with all these fragile battleships? Just make more light speed torpedoes!!! Expand
Zorak30Dec 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst and most awful Star Wars movie yet. The movie is terrible. It doesn't fit into any of the other movies. Logically the movie falls apart worse than any other Star Wars movie yet. Most of the movie centers around a rebel (I won't call it resistance, that was a stupid and unnecessary name change from The Force Awakens) group of transports that are running out of gas getting chased by the Empires most powerful fleet. Don't ask me why but apparently the imperial fleet has nothing that is faster than rebellion transports and their tie fighters seem to all be broken down at once.
If you ever wanted to see Luke Skywalker milk an alien. Then this movie will cover that base. If you want to see General Leia surrounded by a bunch of women to make modern feminist happy this movie has you covered. If you want virtue signaling about how awful rich people are this movie has you covered. At one point Leia busts through a door by using the force. When this happens you will expect the spice girls to run into the room and yell GIRL POWER. You will also get to see Leia fly through space like Superman. Because that is exactly what every Star Wars fan has wanted for 30 years. What you won't get is an amazing lightsaber battle featuring Luke. You will get to see a bunch of AT-AT's fire at a projection of Luke, though. Because that is what we've all been waiting for since the Return of the Jedi. Did I mention this movie is awful?
If you wanted an actual Star Wars movie that embraced the spirit of the original then do not see this movie. This is a Disney movie. For some reason, they felt the need to pepper every serious scene there is in the movie with awful humor. The movie opens with one X-Wing flying right up to the imperial fleet. For some reason instead of blowing up the X-Wing, the Admiral of the imperial fleet starts arguing with Poe. I actually thought I was watching a bad commercial. I could not believe this was the start of a Star Wars movie. This is a modern Matrix Reloaded. Every fan theory or idea that you had about this movie is better than what you will see. I feel like I waited 30 years to watch Luke Skywalker milk an alien. I have never left any movie shaking my head but that is exactly what I did when I left this movie. Star Wars is dead. Disney sucked the life out of it. You'll be begging for George Lucas to make the next movie after seeing this. The prequels look like a golden age compared to this monstrosity.
YamiShogunDec 25, 2017
WOW this is the BEST DISNEY CAN COME UP WITH??? PURE **** Oh this will make a bunch of money but they have ruined the franchise wait till that silly Han Solo Movie shows up and it will put a nail in the Starwars coffin...

I'M DONE WITH

I'M DONE WITH STARWARS and this crappy MERCHANDISING all for MONEY!
Mjkl1893Dec 25, 2017
Absolutely horrendous. Rian Johnson, Disney and SJW congratulations, Star Wars are dead.
hchi4163Dec 25, 2017
Only good thing about this movie is the effort from most of the actors and the dynamics between Rey, Kylo Ren, and Luke. Otherwise, this entire movie is a mess with too much misplaced humor, inconsistent pacing, and weird transitions. It's aOnly good thing about this movie is the effort from most of the actors and the dynamics between Rey, Kylo Ren, and Luke. Otherwise, this entire movie is a mess with too much misplaced humor, inconsistent pacing, and weird transitions. It's a shame because the movie had some bold ideas, but the execution was terrible that I'm surprised the studio actually went ahead with the final product. Worse of all, it adds absolutely nothing to the Star Wars lore and instead, negates almost everything the previous movie, "Force Awakens," set up. It serves no purpose and should never have been approved. There is no overall vision or direction and you cannot claim to be the middle act of a "sequel" trilogy without one. It's almost as if Disney and Rian Johnson wanted to make a "trolling" movie to stir up the fan base. I still have trouble believing anyone can think this mess of a movie is a "masterpiece." Objectively, this was not even a competent movie, let alone a Star Wars movie and I'm terribly disappointed. Expand
metaknightmareDec 26, 2017
Horrible movie that looks really good. All the questions set up by Force Awakens get disappointing answers or don't get touched upon at all. Tons of plots holes. There are a few great moments but they have no real weight immediatelyHorrible movie that looks really good. All the questions set up by Force Awakens get disappointing answers or don't get touched upon at all. Tons of plots holes. There are a few great moments but they have no real weight immediately afterwards or looking back years from now because half of it is illogical. This is a rental only. Don't waste your money at the theater unless you can get in for less than $10. Don't support Disney on this garbage quality writing covered in eye-candy. Expand
PAcriticDec 28, 2017
All the previous "0" reviews were right on the money. There are so many bad plot devices, meaningless diversions, bad character development, poor "physics", bad acting, bad EVERYTHING, that this should not even be considered a part of theAll the previous "0" reviews were right on the money. There are so many bad plot devices, meaningless diversions, bad character development, poor "physics", bad acting, bad EVERYTHING, that this should not even be considered a part of the Star Wars saga. They should issue an apology and try again. Expand
HediaDec 29, 2017
Boring. You could remove an entire subplot of the film and it'll only make it better. Incoherences everywhere. Characters making decisions that make no sense. Important events that happen just because. If it was Star Wars: The Parody it'dBoring. You could remove an entire subplot of the film and it'll only make it better. Incoherences everywhere. Characters making decisions that make no sense. Important events that happen just because. If it was Star Wars: The Parody it'd have been decent. Best of the film are tiny penguin-birds on the island. Expand
joshua688Dec 29, 2017
Never been this disappointed in a star wars movie ever. the utter garbage dialog didn't make sense storyline didn't make sense.
MrRandomDudeDec 30, 2017
This whole movie is a long space chase, similar to Mad Max. However, the characters are all incompetent and there are more plot holes than swiss cheese.
sufrimientoJan 4, 2018
Me cree una cuenta solo para poner esto, no tiene ningun sentido el guion. Agarraron lo poco que dejo abierto en episodio 7 y lo terminaron de manera patetica. LLeno de chistecitos tipo disney. Arruinaron los personajes miticos de la saga.Me cree una cuenta solo para poner esto, no tiene ningun sentido el guion. Agarraron lo poco que dejo abierto en episodio 7 y lo terminaron de manera patetica. LLeno de chistecitos tipo disney. Arruinaron los personajes miticos de la saga. Una verga espantosa. Expand
theprionJan 10, 2018
I knew something was wrong when I reached for my watch and thought "this is taking too long". Never before I felt this way while watching an entry of my favorite movie saga ever. Up to that point I was mildly entertained - lots of eye-candy -I knew something was wrong when I reached for my watch and thought "this is taking too long". Never before I felt this way while watching an entry of my favorite movie saga ever. Up to that point I was mildly entertained - lots of eye-candy - but the over-the-top humor and a growing length that for some reason wasn't paying off were already red flags. When the credits rolled I was confused out of my mind.

Since then I don't go a day without thinking how bad the whole experience was, and I just had to come over and join the almost three-thousand voters' consensus.

One could point three main reasons why The Last Jedi is atrocious: 1) It's technically an awful movie: bad writing, bad pacing, bad acting, bad dialogue, bad decisions, gaping plot holes, no character development, no real journey, no accomplishments, disjointed plot; 2) It actually strives to spend the maximum screentime as possible delivering political undertones that have nothing to do with it's universe at all; and 3) shamelessly disrespects and disregards the saga's lore, world-building and legendary characters.

I never thought it would come to this, since The Force Awakens was a serviceable nostalgia ride and Disney usually manages to keep the quality standards in their projects. But it's not just about nostalgia, as most of the critics are bashing the disheartened fans. The changes they defend about The Last Jedi are not thoughtful steps forwards that build on the saga's foundation. They're market-calculated decisions designed to appeal a smartphone-dumbed and twitter-minded younger audience, coupled with really shallow and trendy moviemaking. And to that merit, Episode VIII accomplishes it infamously.

Also, that is where The Last Jedi does feel like closure, at least to me. I'm disgusted enough to have paid a cinema ticket to watch it, and I'll not indulge this Coca-Cola-ish brand anymore. I'm not part of the target audience that enjoyed this catastrophe and is willing to pay for more. I've lost interest in many other beloved franchises before, but never felt so conned and so betrayed like this. As time passes though, comes indifference, and I just can't be bothered. Like many others have expressed, I've no more room for Star Wars in my entertainment, be it past or upcoming features. An X-Wing replica still sits on my desk, but it feels strangely distant now. The Last Jedi is a bitter full circle, and I'm done with Star Wars.
painjamminJan 13, 2018
Sad face. Star Wars is dead! What did Rian Johnson do? Strange how all the critic reviews are positive? Sounds fishy to me. And on top of that, they accuse the fans of being “Russian bots”. Insulting. FU Disney! Bring George LucasSad face. Star Wars is dead! What did Rian Johnson do? Strange how all the critic reviews are positive? Sounds fishy to me. And on top of that, they accuse the fans of being “Russian bots”. Insulting. FU Disney! Bring George Lucas back to fix this! Expand
Ironshod0311Jan 14, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After hearing other people talk about the movie I figured I'd still probably at least enjoy the movie even if I wouldn't love it like the last one. However I am shocked at how disappointing this movie was! Snoke was nothing more than a plot device with zero payoff to who he is, Rey's parents end up being nothing, Luke's death at the end is totally "wat," and it basically made every male in the movie into either a blundering idiot or a villain while every female was righteous, smart and valorous... I'm all for equal male/female treatment but this was not equal at all. The story was filled with holes and totally broken. It had a few cool action sequences which were neat and some humor here and there but otherwise, a major disappointment. I would rate this one as being just as bad as Phantom Menace. Expand
Zoom-123Jan 19, 2018
I had to keep myself from throwing up in the theater. They did the impossible. They created a character, named Rose, who is worse than Jar Jar. I seriously hope Rian Johnson will never get to direct aka ruin another movie in his life. ThisI had to keep myself from throwing up in the theater. They did the impossible. They created a character, named Rose, who is worse than Jar Jar. I seriously hope Rian Johnson will never get to direct aka ruin another movie in his life. This feminist SJW Kennedy person has to go too. By far the worst SW movie. Expand
izarkJan 20, 2018
Probably the worst film I have seen in my life. I feel sick after watching it.

Probably the worst film I have seen in my life. I feel sick after watching it.

Boring, answers no questions, multiple dead endings, comedy scenes completely out of place, really bad script, many characters that fade into irrelevance, countless incoherences... It does not entertain.
abentabernJan 24, 2018
First time i fell a sleep in a cinema, bad film won't be seeing anymore star wars in cinema.
nostromo20Feb 16, 2018
Another wasted opportunity with added flashbacks to the prequels (casino planet / BB8 on scout walker) - but it was the "humour" and virtue signaling that killed it stone dead.
George0Feb 17, 2018
One of the worst movies I saw in 2017.The plot is really stupid and doesn't make any sense.
pootboyDec 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [spoilers] most of the plot "tension" revolves around, a. spaceships running out of gas, and b. sneaking out a back door.

at the spur of the moment, a hot-topic-wigged space bureaucrat pulls something out of her ass that forevermore (and retroactively) makes ANY space combat utterly silly and obsolete-- just hyperspace through it. no more warships, no more star destroyers, no more dreadnoughts, no more flagships, no more death stars, no more starkillers, they all go bye-bye now as long as you can scrounge up one volkswagon beetle sized hyperspace drone. the end, roll credits. y'all go home now, nothing to see here. -

oh and luke tele-commutes himself to death.

just f&ck off with this sh!t already.
GlowCrowJan 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought Force Awakens was horrible but it could've never prepared me for how godawful Last Jedi is. First of all, Snoke is obsessed with killing Luke because he represents hope in the universe. Fair enough. Only problem is that Kylo collapsed a hut on him and didn't finish the job! We know Kylo is in contact with Snoke at that point because Luke says as much. That was his reasoning for almost murdering the teenager in his sleep. Kylo survived the hut crashing down so why in the F'n world would he (and Snoke) not think Luke, a JEDI MASTER, also survived? Especially considering that Kylo and his supporters, whom we NEVER see (The Knights of Ren weren't even mentioned in TLJ despite Snoke titling Kylo "Master of the Knights of Ren" in Force Awakens) taking the time to murder the rest of Luke's apprentices. Ugh! Also, in several of the Disney cannon novels (and Rogue One) Darth Vader relies on his pressurized suit to withstand the vacuum of space, but Leia is so much more powerful than even a dark Lord of the Sith to the point that she can use the force to survive total exposure to space. Good grief! Worst of all, however, is the scene where Luke tosses the lightsaber. His F'N father's lightsaber! AND he reaches for it with the hand that was lost while wielding it! The very lightsaber that Obi Wan collected and handed down to him for training. If someone handed you a family heirloom, especially one with such significance and nostalgia, would you just toss it away like yesterday's garbage? And all this is just the tip of the iceberg. TLJ once broken down, is rife with horrible dialogue, incompetent editing and just a plainly obvious trash script. The final straw for me was having a casino scene that would've perfectly set up re-introducing Lando Calrissian (remember how he was one of the four major characters?) only to have...wait for it...Justin Theroux as the gambler contact??! Finally, if Luke never wanted to be found and rather just die a useless, cranky old hermit, why the F did he give R2D2 his coordinates??? And why after so much time and so many prior adventures together did C3PO get nothing more than a wink from him??? The worst part of all of this is that Disney loved this trite so much they give the hack director Rian Johnson a Star Wars trilogy? Over my dead body! Expand
ryanpaulyoungJan 11, 2018
Like so many, I prepared for this film properly - early bird ticket, no spoilers, no reviews and zero expectations – only to flee the theatre afterward in a fitful state of bewilderment and dismay.

This film was so terrible, it drove me to

This film was so terrible, it drove me to an immediate second viewing in disbelief, then tears and finally Rotten Tomatoes to comment.

A must watch if you appreciate endless plot holes, ill timed slapstick humor, tonally disjointed scenes, Jedi skype calls, laughable villains, pointless side quests, uninspiring new characters, force ghost lightning (wtf), low gas tanks, absent autopilot and droids, light speed crashes, lazy subversion in place of quality consistent story telling ...and pairing the truly abysmal assassination of Jake Skywalker (see Hamill's interview) against the all powerful, yet unrelatable Mary Sue (see internet)... and of course, porgs. Keck. I would like to include a special thank you to both directors - and perhaps Disney - for allowing our once beloved hero, NOW warped cynical deranged defeatist coward, to greet Rey in TFA in FULL "Sunday Best" JEDI ROBES – before pitching his Father’s light saber over a cliff in pure slapstick fashion, choke on milk from a quadriplegic sea sloth and repeatedly retreat to his hut in fear in TLJ. Way to work together guys...

Cringe. I'm so sorry Mark Hamill. You deserved better. We love you!
HansGoldenRodDec 22, 2017
I'm just a regular SW fan, not a Bot, nor an Alt-Right conspirator. The Last Jedi is a hot steaming pile of crap. Unlikeable new characters, plot holes the size of the Death Star and a meandering half baked script is what sealed the fate forI'm just a regular SW fan, not a Bot, nor an Alt-Right conspirator. The Last Jedi is a hot steaming pile of crap. Unlikeable new characters, plot holes the size of the Death Star and a meandering half baked script is what sealed the fate for this potentially great film. JJ had set up RJ for an easy lay up/slam dunk after the TFA, and yet RJ somehow manages to alienate half the SW fanbase and make a completely non sensical SW film. Director RJ has managed to defile 40 years of Star Wars history and traditions in one fell swoop. Not even the stellar performance of Adam Driver can save this film from the garbage compactor. The Last Jedi is akin to the Phasma character, a lot of hype, with very little payoff and ultimately hugely disappointing and disrespectful. This movie has no respect for what came before it, and "That is why it failed." - Yoda Expand
SignedUpPostTLJDec 23, 2017
An utterly god-awful, 2.5 hour gutting of a much-beloved film franchise and the most unpleasant moviegoing experience of my life (and that includes having a gun pulled on the crowd during HALLOWEEN: H20). I literally just made an account onAn utterly god-awful, 2.5 hour gutting of a much-beloved film franchise and the most unpleasant moviegoing experience of my life (and that includes having a gun pulled on the crowd during HALLOWEEN: H20). I literally just made an account on here to post this because I'm still so stunned at how this could have happened. Disney and all involved should be ashamed. A huge middle-finger to 40 years of fandom with a dose of terrible comedy and amazingly ham-fisted political messaging added on to boot. Where have you gone, George Lucas? Our nation turn its lonely eyes to you. Expand
flyjdix11Dec 25, 2017
I literally got up and walked out of this movie an hour into it. I swear I'm just a normal star wars fan. I like star wars. This was trash. Stop defending Disney and what they have done with it. Just gonna feed them to make more and more trash.
werewolf3dDec 22, 2017
disgusting - cringe as fk ? yeah fits pretty well....& of course great brain washing concept ....
neuro-punkJan 1, 2018
The Last Jedi singlehandedly ruined the original Star Wars trilogy with its disservice toward the characters, story/lore, etc. of the original trilogy. The Last Jedi is trash.
HiddenGodJan 2, 2018
this movie was awful, this is the worst movie of starwars that i've ever seen.
PiatakowJan 2, 2018
This movie is a disaster - undoubtedly worst Star Wars episode ever and more: this movie is a blasphemy to Star Wars universe - shame on you all responsible for it's creation, you have turned all spirit of SW Saga into ashes! And review ofThis movie is a disaster - undoubtedly worst Star Wars episode ever and more: this movie is a blasphemy to Star Wars universe - shame on you all responsible for it's creation, you have turned all spirit of SW Saga into ashes! And review of critics that gave it 100/100 and 10/10 is a joke! Expand
charles95Jan 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lets start with the positives:

It doesn't last forever.

On to the negatives:

Lukes character is destroyed. Luke dies in squandered manner. Rey is textbook Ultra Mary Sue. Shes seems to grow more powerful the less she knows. If she continues to receive no training, she will be able to move planets with her pinky.
SJW characters abound, nothing like getting political for no reason #2017. Plot holes are like mines in a mine field here. There are soo many!! It can only be safely navigated with the proper mine sweeper (give up caring). Death stars can be defeated by light speed missiles now and everyone before this movie was an idiot for not realizing a new style of hyper weapons. The casino planet is unbearable. Free animals, ignore children. I figured it would be a 5 minute sub plot, but it was over half an hour of RICH PEOPLE EVIL. I get it! Please let me off this ride!! Leia is apparently 100x stronger than any other Jedi before. Space is no consequence to her, and oxygen is not required. Perhaps it is only females do not require any training to use the force? Kylo Ren in this movie changes his position on topics ever 10th second in the movie and is almost unwatchable. Too AngstEdgy for me. Snoke was the best villain ever. Without consent, can connect users minds and facilitate a skype call. Force lightning through holograms. Overpowers overpowered Rey like its nothing. To be betrayed by his pupil while giving a diatribe on how he could never be betrayed by his pupil. There are non relevant props that are treated with more love, backstory and screentime than Snoke (Porg/Crystal Foxes).

0/10 for this since the director (Ryan) is being rewarded and allowed to create his own trilogy.
MuzumushJan 3, 2018
The 0 score is because this movie craps all over the Star Wars established universe, it ruins Luke's character, the plot makes NO sense at all, they try to constantly shove political message every chance they get.
This movie KILLED Star Wars.
Metacloud10Jan 4, 2018
Destroy all old stories so you can make a clean Mickey Mouse out of star wars. Lots of bang, no character development. Movies are dead, long live TV Series.
WeirdWizardDaveJan 4, 2018
While individual scenes are highly entertaining the movie, on reflection, leaves a lot to be desired. The key problem seems to be the "plot" was merely a vehicle to move from one cool scene to another and when the implications of something inWhile individual scenes are highly entertaining the movie, on reflection, leaves a lot to be desired. The key problem seems to be the "plot" was merely a vehicle to move from one cool scene to another and when the implications of something in one of those scenes clashes with a later scene it's just ignored. Its not even a problem of plot holes which implies there is a coherent plot with a few issues. Instead it's like the movies is just a series of plot islands with only a vague connection to each other, let alone the events and characters of the previous movies. I was entertained in the moment, but after the fact (which is the real test of a great movie) I am not impressed. Can they salvage it from here? Probably, but this movie is always going to be a gaping wound in the larger narrative I fear. Expand
Monarch818Jan 7, 2018
The only way this movie can be redeemed is by JJ starting episode IX is with the realization that everything that happens from the moment Leia is sucked into space is a dream before she dies, and then reboots XII into IX from that moment on.The only way this movie can be redeemed is by JJ starting episode IX is with the realization that everything that happens from the moment Leia is sucked into space is a dream before she dies, and then reboots XII into IX from that moment on. Allow the Rebels to escape, have Luke actually act like Luke and train Rey. And then have Luke and Rey take on Snoke and Kylo for a big ending! Otherwise, IX will be as horrible as VIII was. Expand
Daishou_UeshibaJan 15, 2018
Compared to all the other films in the series, my opinion is that it isn't the glorious savior some consider it to be, nor is it the destruction of everything sacred that others lament. The new characters are shallow and childish, the oldCompared to all the other films in the series, my opinion is that it isn't the glorious savior some consider it to be, nor is it the destruction of everything sacred that others lament. The new characters are shallow and childish, the old ones are embarassing and cringy and any potential for good storytelling or personal sacrifice is eschewed in favor of comedic relief or self-righteous socio-political preachiness. It's stupid, mindless, pointless popcorn fodder, but i do consider it to at least have a bit more depth than the first one, it at least tries to do something new, it just fails entirely. Expand
panicultureMar 11, 2018
Ghastly, heinously bad. Muddled plot, flat characters, bad acting, eye-rollingly stupid and clichéd dialog. Disney poisons everything they touch. Long gone is the Star Wars magic. This film should be taken out to the woods, shot and put outGhastly, heinously bad. Muddled plot, flat characters, bad acting, eye-rollingly stupid and clichéd dialog. Disney poisons everything they touch. Long gone is the Star Wars magic. This film should be taken out to the woods, shot and put out of its pathetic misery. Expand
KrakadonJan 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a HUGE disappointment for me. A bad Star Wars movie is still an entertaining movie, but this is by far the worst Star Wars movie ever made. There are so many reasons this movie sucks. -Superfluous characters and subplots (who doesn't love Laura Dern and Benico del Toro but their characters had no reason to be in this movie, Fin/Rose mission to casino to find "Master Codebreaker" absurd). -Idiotic plot holes (hello, you can't drop gravity bombs in space, what they are electromagnetic?, then you don't need to get "over" your target, who is going to fly those suicide bombers anyway?)(fly a ship through the big New Order vessel?, try leading with that)(a whole long chase scene? Han Solo can take the Falcon out of hyperspace in the short distance of a moon's atmosphere, just hyperspace in front of them, duh!), etc.etc. -Throwing away stuff that has been built up (who is Snoke and how did he come to power?, who cares?, he's dead already!)(Knights of Ren?, never heard of them)

-Pitiful, not menacing villains. -Squandered opportunities (fight between Fin and Captain Phasma is like 2 seconds, WTF?)(almost no light saber duels). -Ridiculous retconning (you don't need to train for years to be a Jedi, Rey is a force expert with no training at all)(Yoda can just come along and shoot force lightning?, where was he when Palpatine was trying to kill Luke Skywalker?)(did I mention flying a ship through another vessel? makes it a lot easier to blow up a Death Star). -Forced political rhetoric (we get it, horse racing bad, capitalism bad, so I get my money back, right?). -Contrived, cringe-worthy "romance" (I love you and will sacrifice my life for you even though we just met).

-Cannon and characters completely inconsistent with previous movies, including the movie to which this is supposedly a sequel. But the biggest travesty is how they treated Luke Skywalker's character. He was totally wasted and betrayed. Also, how pitiful the resistance is; they have accomplished nothing since the first Trilogy and are worse off than ever before. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. Then to top it off, they harp on this theme of letting go of the past. Yeah, the past when Star Wars movies where great. This movie is garbage.

AMENDMENT - STRIKE THE LAST JEDI FROM STAR WARS CANNON! - I know some of you will dismiss this as pathetic, obsessive, sad, fan-boy wallowing because I didn't get the movie I wanted, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'm right. As I have reflected on the film, my opinion hasn't changed, it has gotten stronger. Every day I scan the new user reviews on metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes and watch the negative reviews pile up, and their beef is the same as mine. I know there are people who liked this movie. My son liked it, but he is young and didn't grow up watching Star Wars, and he loves Kylo Ren. I've reviewed a bunch of positive user reviews (the critic reviews are utter BS, so I don't concern myself with those). They fall into a few camps: people who didn't grow up watching Star Wars (thus reasonably impressed with a $200M blockbuster), people familiar with Star Wars who don't like it or are board of it, people who grew up with Star Wars but are not fans, apologists (people who love Star Wars and are trying to find a silver lining) and idiots (people who grew up with and liking Star Wars that also like this movie). Most non-apologist reviews usually say something along the lines of "this movie broke the mold and went in different directions". Here's the thing… if you want something new, go make something new. I'm not saying make it stale, but there is Star Wars cannon and a Star Wars formula that make Star Wars great (and it includes dog-fights, light sabers, the Force, master/apprentice relationships, light side vs. dark side, awesome villans, and courageous, noble heroes and Jedi Knights; if you don't like it, feel free to enjoy another franchise). This movie is a) garbage by any measure, b) a TERRIBLE Star Wars movie and totally inconstant with canon including the movie to which it is supposed to be a sequel, c) a total FU to Star Wars fans, and d) gives one of the most iconic heroes in cinematic history the worst send-off imaginable. So, I am praying for a miracle. I think everyone who thinks this Star Wars movie sucks, and that we (and Luke) deserve better, boycott Disney products (and I love Disney, so this is extreme for me) until they agree to remake or completely retcon Episode VIII. Also, that director RJ, and all the execs that approved this terrible movie, should never be allowed anywhere near the Star Wars franchise - There, fan-boy rant concluded.
SanitoeterJan 2, 2018
Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy abuse the Star Wars universe to make a statement for feminism and politics paired with completely out of place slapstick humor.
IAmRealDec 22, 2017
I honestly believe a large portion of the positive reviews both on here and rotten tomatoes have been written by a team over at Disney. That many people can't be stupid enough to believe this movie actually has good character development. II honestly believe a large portion of the positive reviews both on here and rotten tomatoes have been written by a team over at Disney. That many people can't be stupid enough to believe this movie actually has good character development. I really am concerned for the future of, not just Star Wars, but of entertainment in general if this is the case. There was nothing that made me feel good about this movie. The humor made me cringe and was totally out of place. There was a complete lack of any real dramatic moments. Too many inconsequential scenes and new characters. The runtime could have been cut by nearly an hour and nothing would have changed. Just way too many bad choices on the part of the writers. I am all for making something new and unpredictable. Just don't do it at the expense of your plot. I'm not even looking forward to the next one now. I don't recommend seeing this movie in the theater. Wait till it's free on netflix. Disney does not deserve your money. Expand
KhdafaceDec 25, 2017
Even Mark Hamill hates the movie .... Enough said

Even Mark Hamill hates the movie .... Enough said

but I guess I can't just say that, can I.. when you go to see a star wars movie you expect to see certain things, unique original worlds epic battles good characters with reasonable and understandable motivation. at the very least an epic adventure the movie unfortunately has nothing of that, instead we have a boring long movie with underwhelming villains and heroes. if one thing the movie did succeed in, it was getting me uninterested in seeing the next one.
BullstompDec 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie re-defines disappointment. Bad pacing, unnecessary subplots, terrible story that amounts to nothing (there was zero progress beginning to end) and some serious head scratching moments (Luke and the seacow, Mary Poppins, Phasma Luke and Snoke getting killed unceremoniously. Not to mention Rey is the definition of a Mary Sue. I really don't understand how anyone would like this. Disney/Kathleen Kennedy have killed Star Wars for me. Expand
Shibumi2001Dec 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, it's as bad as you've heard. Other reviewers have deconstructed the film and highlighted its many flaws so I won't retread the same ground. But perhaps I can add this: More than any of The Last Jedi's structural flaws - e.g., narrative and character dissonance - to me the most heartbreaking aspect of the film is its underlying cynicism, both in its worldview and its message.

It tells us there is no such thing as good and evil (it's all just shades of grey) and that those who seek moral clarity are on the wrong side of history.

It tells us that "hero worship" is wrong and should be avoided because our heroes (like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo before him) will inevitably fail and let us down.

It tells us that the past needs to be 'killed' because it's useless, serving no purpose other than as a lesson of what not to do.

It tells us that anyone can achieve greatness, not through hard work, effort and sacrifice but through rejecting one's culture, traditions, institutions, and heritage.

It tells us that laying down one's life for another is wrong because that's tantamount to hate and killing who and what one loves.

It tells us that we can learn absolutely nothing about our identity from our parents, even though our parents conceived, nurtured and brought us into the world. I can't think of a message more antithetical to "Star Wars" - the Star Wars George Lucas created all those years ago (post-Kennedy, post-Vietnam, post-Watergate) than that.

And it just breaks my heart.
warren450Dec 23, 2017
This movie was so incredibly bad on all levels, that it actually made me overcome my laziness and come here to give it a bad rating.
becleanearthDec 24, 2017
This movie was just awful I have never submitted a review until now, Disney just destroyed my childhood
RaditzDec 24, 2017
Disney decided to create a corporate, streamlined product with no narrative substance. Best example of this fact comes from incoherent or non-existent character development in Kylo Ren, Tri, and most explicitly Finn. Trash.
BigDragonDec 26, 2017
I think The Last Jedi is one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made. People were seriously falling asleep or playing on their phones during the movie. The audience was quiet -- not reacting or cheering the way they did during Rogue One, TheI think The Last Jedi is one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made. People were seriously falling asleep or playing on their phones during the movie. The audience was quiet -- not reacting or cheering the way they did during Rogue One, The Force Awakens, or Revenge of the Sith. I found it hard to resist the urge to play with my phone or nap during the movie, and I normally love sci-fi movies! I've seen all the Star Wars movies multiple times.

The biggest problem with The Last Jedi is it was clearly written and directed by someone who does not understand Star Wars, has ADHD, and does not understand human emotion. The movie constantly jumps around, attempts to accomplish too many simultaneous story lines, blows away the boundaries of what is believable in sci-fi movies, and completely ignores emotional attachment to characters. Worse, every confrontation I was looking forward to turned out to be completely anticlimactic due to being handled wrong, pointless delays, and force powers turned into pure magic.

The Last Jedi was bad. It's a pretty movie that definitely lives within the Star Wars visual universe. However, it was not up to Star Wars storytelling quality. The only thing good about the movie was the dynamic between Rey and Kylo -- that's all. I do not want to see any more Star Wars movies by Rian Johnson. I would happily take George Lucas back.
K-BoyJan 1, 2018
A friend of mine said it best:

A friend of mine said it best:

"I was thinking today what non-Star Wars fans see when they are shown Star Wars, is just random crap about space and aliens. When a Star Wars fan watches Star Wars, they see the archetypal hero's journey in full effect--full with a deep mythological force as old as storytelling itself. When you make a Star Wars film that tries to chuck all of that out the window to 're-invent' or 'subvert' the previous saga...a Star Wars fan just sees random crap about space and aliens. And that's why critics, many of which perhaps never understood Star Wars to begin with, saw the random crap about space and aliens and thought, 'Sure this is what they like'."

I couldn't agree more. This movie left me completely cold, and I didn't think a Star Wars movie was capable of doing that. The worst part is...I don't think there is a way for it to be fixed. Disney has now opened the floodgates for this franchise to be a Transformers or Fast & Furious - just disposable trash, albeit trash that makes a billion dollars at the box office. The biggest disappointment of the year. Fans have a right to be heartbroken and angry.
tomsnowballJan 3, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although visually impressive, this film is a real mess of pointless plots, zero character development, and ultimately unsatisfying gotcha moments which attempt to 'reset' the Star Wars franchise with 'something different' but ultimately leave the viewer confused and confounded. As a stand-alone sci-fi/fantasy flick it is perhaps not too bad, but taken as part of a long epic story it seems to make absolutely zero sense. Cliffhangers and characters set up in the 'The Force Awakens' turn out to be red herrings and are dropped unceremoniously. New characters are introduced (Purple hair lady, random annoying Asian chick) out of the blue apparently to appeal to diversity quotas. Old characters are either killed without ceremony (Admiral Ackbar) or come back to life in Superman style (Leia). Bad comedy permeates nearly every scene, puncturing any attempt to create suspense. What plot points do work are shamelessly ripped off from the original movies.

The franchise's great hero returns and is a miserable old man sitting on a rock who doesn't want to play ball any more. He has gone from being the great optimist to a curmudgeon with a whisky bottle. Why? His teenage nephew was a bit angsty. When he finally gets off his ass to do something he just becomes a hologram or something and vanishes into thin air. Is that it? Luke Skywalker is now Jeff Lebowski with less humour and white russians. The new lead character Rey is able without any explanation to use The Force without any training. Entire subplots divert to meaningless planets which go nowhere. Hamfisted political points (capitalism and patriarchy bad, mmkay) are shoehorned into this film, despite the irony of it being a multi-billion dollar global franchise which never really had a 'diversity problem' in the first instance.

But nothing matters, this film will make squillions of dollars and Disney will milk this cash cow for all it can get (the second thing we see of Luke is him milking some weird alien cow on his rock, surely an in-joke about this very fact) and The Last Jedi will fade into memory while an endless stream of CGI sequels stretch into space and devalue the epic majesty and wonder of the original trilogy. Somewhere in a galaxy not very far far away, fat Hollywood execs are laughing all the way to the bank....
Jack_bandJan 6, 2018
A disappointing movie,a poor history. It makes me feel the first trilogy was even better.
etmetaJan 8, 2018
I watched the original trilogy from beginning to end for the first time recently in anticipation of the Last Jedi. Words cannot describe how disappointed I was with this movie.
SmelschJan 8, 2018
So what's the deal with these critics scores? I find it incomprehensible that they can think that this movie is a modern masterpiece. Even if the logic centres of your brain don't reject the deluge of plot holes, plot armoured characters, andSo what's the deal with these critics scores? I find it incomprehensible that they can think that this movie is a modern masterpiece. Even if the logic centres of your brain don't reject the deluge of plot holes, plot armoured characters, and jarringly injected political correctness, the story itself is total pants. This movie is so badly conceived and executed that it actually REDUCES the amount of joy you'll get if you rewatch the older SW movies... well, if your any sort of fan of Luke anyway.

The message of this movie is 'Get with these nihilistic times sister, because being THE hero is lame, and we're all heroes you see, so we all get a prize just for participating'. It doesn't appear that any sort of decent script writer did because the pacing, humour, and shape of the movie are all way off. I imagine director Rian Johnson was given a checklist of crappy ideas and scenarios by Disney that he had to somehow shoehorn into it. That would help to explain the out-of-character and moronic behaviour, and the endless unneeded side stories that often had little, or nothing, to do with the plot. They just burned valuable time that would have better spent world building and developing some of the secondary characters properly. For instance: - What is the rest of the galaxy up to after the events of the previous movie. You'd think some of them would be angry enough to do something. Say what you want about the prequels, but they always made you believe they took place in a vibrant and culturally diverse universe. The stakes just feel so small and inconsequential in this movie when compared to even 'Rogue One'.

Please don't be fooled by the thousands of Disney mandated positive reviews that have been appearing online - this movie is a dog, and it leaves me with absolutely no interest in where these movies are going nor desire to see what happens next.

R.I.P. my childhood hero and role model Luke Skywalker, and commiserations to Mark Hamill. You didn't deserve this treatment at all dude.
IPisPSPACEFeb 21, 2018
The fact that 95% of critics can give this piece of crap movie good reviews should ring alarm bells. This movie is incoherent, character development and motivation non-existent; and, being a sequel, destroys the franchise with a script byThe fact that 95% of critics can give this piece of crap movie good reviews should ring alarm bells. This movie is incoherent, character development and motivation non-existent; and, being a sequel, destroys the franchise with a script by someone who fundamentally does not understand said franchise. Being "fresh" and "subversive" are shallow characteristics that masks a naked emperor. Expand
AltaredDec 18, 2017
I am not a bot or a troll. I am alive long Star Wars fan who truly and deeply hated this film. It's poorly written with a lazy plot, tons of holes, and extremely inconsistent characters. It was bad on every level a film can be bad.
bcd3169Dec 26, 2017
Really bad quality. The script has a lot of stuff that does not have any purpose. Mostly boring and feels pointles
philliezDec 26, 2017
Rian Johnson, you moron! moron moron moron moron moron moron moronmoronmoronmoron..
lordnaarDec 26, 2017
When you read all the different reviews for The Last Jedi they can be somewhat confusing. Easiest way to make sense of them and figure out how it really rates as a movie to to simply pay attention to the way that postive reviews are written.When you read all the different reviews for The Last Jedi they can be somewhat confusing. Easiest way to make sense of them and figure out how it really rates as a movie to to simply pay attention to the way that postive reviews are written. You will see a LOT of "Didn't make sense but LOVED it" and "There were tons of odd moments that made me cringe but GREAT film". Ask yourself why even all the positive reviews of 8,9 and even 10 tell you how awkward it was and how they are 'taking a new direction' with the series in this 'turning point' film.

Those are the kindest possible terms for a movie that took a massive steaming dump on all the things we loved about Star Wars prior to this. Heroes? All of the things you thought you knew about the Lore and Characters will be completely washed away by the end of the film. Is Luke a brave hero who risked his life to save his father or a broken, selfish and cowardly vagrant? if you believe the former prepare to be disappointed and confused.

To keep this spoiler free I will not be listing all of the times this film make me confused,angry and hurt. Read the reviews yourself and you'll see the truth.
xaeroaaaDec 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thank you for destroy my childhood memory. As a big fan of star wars, i went to theater multiple time for every movie. Thank you Disney and Ryan for saving my money and time. I am done and now care no more so that i wont be harm again. 0 for my deep sorrow about old beloved characters and those "over positive" critic review from universe far far away. Expand
elsothoDec 28, 2017
Reading TLJ reviews from critics, is like reading "The emperors new clothes"
All the critics are in awe of a movie that isn't there!
Reading TLJ reviews from critics, is like reading "The emperors new clothes"
All the critics are in awe of a movie that isn't there!

In others words, my 40 year old passion for SW just died. Never again shall I fall into temptation and false hope that they have redeemed themselves. This was the straw that broke the camels back!
The last Jedi is so incredibly bad that only Indiana Jones and the crystal skull can match it's stupidity and lack of storytelling!
Goodbye my love, may you rest in peace!
YugaKhanisBaeDec 30, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last Jedi manages to literally and figuratively kill everything The Force Awakens built up. If you were expecting for it to propel the story forward at all, you will be extremely disappointed, as it cuts off any sort of story or plot to go on for another sequel. Episode IX is completely f**ked in this regard. Here are some reasons why... WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS!!!! Rian Johnson kills off Snoke as if he's a little **** after making him out to be powerful as all hell. They kill off Luke by having him fade away (the most fighting he did was a stick fight with Rey, which he f**king loses!). Captain Phasma was killed by Finn after a 20 second fight with him thanks to the power of ex-machinas. Leia does NOT die, instead she has a force ex-machina moment and Mary Poppins herself to safety after being blown up into the vacuum of space. Rey is still terrible, taking literally no training whatsoever to be able to do remarkable sh** that even Anakin couldn't do at his early stages, even after Rey's parents are revealed to be nobody junkers that left her behind out of greed.

Another major disappointment was Leia's character as a whole. She doesn't get much screen time, and when she does it's weak, and ultimately pointless. She feels so much like a side character that she could've been removed altogether (which she should have been), and it wouldn't have made a goddamn difference to the story. Being yet another reason why Episode IX is royally f**ked, you know, having to figure out how to either sustain her or kill her off.

The one decent thing I can say for this movie is that it's very pretty. It is hands down the most aesthetically pleasing Star Wars movie to date, but that doesn't help a film much when the story, characters, and even the ending are terrible.

The Last Jedi takes everything The Force Awakens built up and says, "F**k it, we don't need it." Being a terrible segway episode and standalone episode. But at least it did it while being pretty, which is the only reason this film is a 3/10 as opposed to a flat out 0/10.