Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: December 15, 2017
5,408
Watch Now
Buy on
elsothoDec 28, 2017
Reading TLJ reviews from critics, is like reading "The emperors new clothes"
All the critics are in awe of a movie that isn't there!
Reading TLJ reviews from critics, is like reading "The emperors new clothes"
All the critics are in awe of a movie that isn't there!

In others words, my 40 year old passion for SW just died. Never again shall I fall into temptation and false hope that they have redeemed themselves. This was the straw that broke the camels back!
The last Jedi is so incredibly bad that only Indiana Jones and the crystal skull can match it's stupidity and lack of storytelling!
Goodbye my love, may you rest in peace!
captain320Mar 2, 2018
The movie is filled with cliches that do not rhyme well with Star Wars and this episode can be regarded as the "skippable" one of the trilogy.
KalaharidemonDec 6, 2018
Wow - This was a waste of time and money. All the build up for nothing. No character development and terrible sub plots that held little meaning. All the 'critics' and 'journalists' must be on the take because this was not a good film. ThisWow - This was a waste of time and money. All the build up for nothing. No character development and terrible sub plots that held little meaning. All the 'critics' and 'journalists' must be on the take because this was not a good film. This was a disservice to the Star Wars name. It felt disconnected from the first and I have to say the prequels are better by a long shot. Rogue One is the only contemporary film of note in the series as Gareth Edwards cares about the lore and characters. Expand
YugaKhanisBaeDec 30, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last Jedi manages to literally and figuratively kill everything The Force Awakens built up. If you were expecting for it to propel the story forward at all, you will be extremely disappointed, as it cuts off any sort of story or plot to go on for another sequel. Episode IX is completely f**ked in this regard. Here are some reasons why... WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS!!!! Rian Johnson kills off Snoke as if he's a little **** after making him out to be powerful as all hell. They kill off Luke by having him fade away (the most fighting he did was a stick fight with Rey, which he f**king loses!). Captain Phasma was killed by Finn after a 20 second fight with him thanks to the power of ex-machinas. Leia does NOT die, instead she has a force ex-machina moment and Mary Poppins herself to safety after being blown up into the vacuum of space. Rey is still terrible, taking literally no training whatsoever to be able to do remarkable sh** that even Anakin couldn't do at his early stages, even after Rey's parents are revealed to be nobody junkers that left her behind out of greed.

Another major disappointment was Leia's character as a whole. She doesn't get much screen time, and when she does it's weak, and ultimately pointless. She feels so much like a side character that she could've been removed altogether (which she should have been), and it wouldn't have made a goddamn difference to the story. Being yet another reason why Episode IX is royally f**ked, you know, having to figure out how to either sustain her or kill her off.

The one decent thing I can say for this movie is that it's very pretty. It is hands down the most aesthetically pleasing Star Wars movie to date, but that doesn't help a film much when the story, characters, and even the ending are terrible.

The Last Jedi takes everything The Force Awakens built up and says, "F**k it, we don't need it." Being a terrible segway episode and standalone episode. But at least it did it while being pretty, which is the only reason this film is a 3/10 as opposed to a flat out 0/10.
HunterZolomonJan 3, 2018
The worst part about this movie is not that it's a poorly written movie with terrible (or non-existant) character arcs, poor plot, out of place humor or ham-fisted political commentary. It's not even that it ignores established Star WarsThe worst part about this movie is not that it's a poorly written movie with terrible (or non-existant) character arcs, poor plot, out of place humor or ham-fisted political commentary. It's not even that it ignores established Star Wars canon or lore.

It is awful because it attempts to ruin everything about Star Wars that made it such a beloved story in the first place. Instead of wisdom, we get book burning. Instead of optimism and faith, we get nihilism. And instead of hope, we get pessimism and despair.

This movie is an all out assault on Star Wars as a phenomenon, it left me cold. It seems as if the people in charge of the franchise at Disney really hate the original trilogy.
lordnaarDec 26, 2017
When you read all the different reviews for The Last Jedi they can be somewhat confusing. Easiest way to make sense of them and figure out how it really rates as a movie to to simply pay attention to the way that postive reviews are written.When you read all the different reviews for The Last Jedi they can be somewhat confusing. Easiest way to make sense of them and figure out how it really rates as a movie to to simply pay attention to the way that postive reviews are written. You will see a LOT of "Didn't make sense but LOVED it" and "There were tons of odd moments that made me cringe but GREAT film". Ask yourself why even all the positive reviews of 8,9 and even 10 tell you how awkward it was and how they are 'taking a new direction' with the series in this 'turning point' film.

Those are the kindest possible terms for a movie that took a massive steaming dump on all the things we loved about Star Wars prior to this. Heroes? All of the things you thought you knew about the Lore and Characters will be completely washed away by the end of the film. Is Luke a brave hero who risked his life to save his father or a broken, selfish and cowardly vagrant? if you believe the former prepare to be disappointed and confused.

To keep this spoiler free I will not be listing all of the times this film make me confused,angry and hurt. Read the reviews yourself and you'll see the truth.
StupidFatCuckDec 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt one of the worst movies i have ever seen. The story is non existent. If you look at the beginning and the end of the movie the only difference is that Luke and Snoke died. Literally nothing has happened. The movie has 0 character development. Rey is the most boring protagonist in the history of cinema. Finn and Rose are on completely irrelevant sub-plot that does nothing for the movie. This movies is a complete **** with the only decent things being the music and a couple of special effect.

And thanks to disney for **** PORGS that add nothing to the movie other then to sell some **** toys. Unbelievable.
jackd104Dec 22, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I expect more from Star Wars. The story is just not tight-knit at all. Plot holes. Pointless go-and-fetch quests (like a video game). Throw-away characters. Heroes from the last movie with nothing important to do. Super-boring slow speed spaceship chase that lasts half the movie. Unlike many of the negative reviews here, I'm not a super pissed fanboy, just a movie goer who expected so much more (like a good story that makes sense and that has motivation for all characters). The critic reviews are baffling to me. Expand
james09173Dec 25, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh this is hilarious . . . Rian Johnson is going to desecrate Star Wars and then go on to make his own trilogy. Well guess what? The joke is going to be on him when his new trilogy comes out and so few people show up that it absolutely bombs. Last Jedi can be summed up in one scene at the very beginning of the movie: Luke tosses the lightsaber over his back. There was so much in this movie that was blatantly irreverent. I feel sorry for the director who has to try and pick up the pieces with episode 9 because, unlike episode 7, I really don't see what could happen next, nor do I really have a desire to. Expand
PatrickLouieEspDec 25, 2017
Worst Star Wars in history, disappointed. Disney ruined it big time , serves them right .
194 of 222 users found this helpful19428
MourfeousDec 24, 2017
It was like Rian Johnson either never saw a Star Wars movie or wanted to destroy everything that Star Wars was. There are already an incredible amount of very long reviews explaining what is wrong with this movie step by step.

I can tell you

I can tell you that I was 5 when Episode IV A New Hope came out and I've been a loving fan for the last 40 years. That ended after watching this movie. I've decided to not watch the Han Solo movie, Episode IX or any other Star Wars movies till they are either no longer under Disney or until I here a great disturbance in the Force of millions of voices of original fans cry out in wonder.
IPisPSPACEFeb 21, 2018
The fact that 95% of critics can give this piece of crap movie good reviews should ring alarm bells. This movie is incoherent, character development and motivation non-existent; and, being a sequel, destroys the franchise with a script byThe fact that 95% of critics can give this piece of crap movie good reviews should ring alarm bells. This movie is incoherent, character development and motivation non-existent; and, being a sequel, destroys the franchise with a script by someone who fundamentally does not understand said franchise. Being "fresh" and "subversive" are shallow characteristics that masks a naked emperor. Expand
DenXFeb 21, 2018
Episodes 1-2-3 were clumsy in many ways but the story was actually interesting. Episode 7 was a lazy recitation of Ep.4 but as a movie it worked. But The Last Jedi is the episode that killed the franchise. The movie itself is a mess, youEpisodes 1-2-3 were clumsy in many ways but the story was actually interesting. Episode 7 was a lazy recitation of Ep.4 but as a movie it worked. But The Last Jedi is the episode that killed the franchise. The movie itself is a mess, you could remove 3/4 of the scenes without changing the plot. As a second installment of a trilogy it completely throws away most of the original ideas from 7 instead of building up on them and does nothing with the remaining elements. This feels more like a very bad fan-fiction that should never be an official sequel. Rian Johnson is just trolling everybody out of ego and shows how terrible he can be as a writer/director. Star Wars is dead for me now. Expand
AaronP117Feb 24, 2018
The cinematography is gorgeous. That's the only positive comment I can make about this film. Glaring plot holes, completely changing characters from the original episodes and blatant misandry all add up to make this the worst movie I've seenThe cinematography is gorgeous. That's the only positive comment I can make about this film. Glaring plot holes, completely changing characters from the original episodes and blatant misandry all add up to make this the worst movie I've seen in years. Needless to say, I'll be avoiding Episode IX. I don't think I'll ever forgive Disney for destroying my favorite universe. Expand
AltaredDec 18, 2017
I am not a bot or a troll. I am alive long Star Wars fan who truly and deeply hated this film. It's poorly written with a lazy plot, tons of holes, and extremely inconsistent characters. It was bad on every level a film can be bad.
RenderluzDec 27, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Putting aside the issues with what fans of the series might expected, the plot made no sense.

If the idea was for Poe to be allowed to help the bombers ships, then why was he told to pull back when all he needed to make the potential mission successful was to destroy one more anti bomber canon? Yes many bombers were destroyed in the mission, more to chance than anything else, (one piece of enemy's ship debris hit one bomber that then causes a chain reaction of explosions that could not have been predicted), but when the mission was started the ideas was to send them non the less, they could have not known they were going to be destroyed, and if they knew, then why the hell would you send Poe to take down the surface canons from the Destroyer in the first place? There's also no reason to not tell Poe about the plans to leave the main Rebel ship as decoy, he's a high ranking officer, and he would not leak the plans to nobody, the only reason he ended up trying another plan was because he was not told what the plan was, that was a completely stupid way to handle your subordinates, telling them to shut up and do as she says? there's a time for a soldier to follow orders, and there is a time when following orders is just stupid, if the soldier knows the value of holding a position its more likely he would hold it because his morale will be high, Poe's morale was at an all time low, he was not only told he was an idiot for making the first plan successful, but also he was not told what the backup plan was, that made not god dam sense.

Finn should have died a hero's dead, and that's that, or if he was not to die, then that whole scene of him trying to kamikaze to stop the laser ramming ray should have been scrapped, It would have added gravitas and weight to the story if he actually was allowed to follow trough, but we can't have that, we need him to be our comic relief...in the next movie...

Luke could have been used much better, and his murdering tendencies toward Kylo made no sense in terms of Luke's psychology, Rey gets no training, which means the whole rest of Star War's ideas are effectively erased, and I would be fine with that, this review is not from a person that thinks Star Wars is the best of the best in terms of scifi, I rather watch Arrival or Interstellar for that matter, but if you are going to make the move to erase the older movies themes, then you could have done it in a way that made sense, for starters find a good reason for Kylo to be as deranged as he is, or was, the movie does not give us enough plot to believe Luke would decide to kill Kylo just like that, the motivations of the characters are paper thin. There's not enough plot, and what there is, is poorly thought out, so then the characters end up doing things because they are angry, or sad, or afraid, but the reasons are poorly explained, and thus the suspension of disbelieve is broken.
Weekend1986Jan 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not a bot troll This Movie killed Star Wars for me. and i wont be buying anything that has to do with that Universe. unless its a real light saber. Expand
ElborJan 5, 2018
The new trilogy excels at the level of inconsistencies, scripting facilities, in superficiality, with a deafening absence of a quality soundtrack.
No captivating narration, characters little charismatic, this film brings nothing good to the universe.

I have to put a bad note to alert Disney.
I hope they will think about their scenario for the next longer.
carlmacekJan 6, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst best seller of the history, Leia flying, stupid jokes like the "iron", those ridiculous birds, in that case better watch Spaceballs. Luke denigrated to the worst garbage of human being and with powers ridiculous for a Jedi, he died stupidly, please remake this film, this film should never had existed.I don't say that it is a bad movie because Luke died, in Episode VII Han Solo died and killed the possibility to ever play together with Luke again, but anyway I liked the movie as it was a decent plot, if you are going to kill a super idol do it for a good reason, like it was done in Episode 7, not kill him because he got tired after use too much Jedi Power and leave episode 9 with nobody, even with a good plot you should be very careful if kill the Luke, now everybody is dead as Carrie Fisher died in the real world, whats the point of Episode 9? Who will be the stars, Chewbacca and androids? Unless they bring Lando to episode 9 for sure only teenagers will go to cinema to watch it. I left my family in Christmas to go to watch this abomination, for a Star Wars movie, anyone would understand, but leave Christmas for this garbage? Most of fans say "pretend that this movie never existed" but it is difficult, specially that there will be an episode 9. Rian Johnson, you killed Star Wars. Expand
DeathforceDec 24, 2017
If this is what stimulates the new generation - god help us. The only thing that could save this franchise now is for Sheev to come back and lay waste to the entire galaxy with force lightening, put this fanatical sick disney mouse to rest,If this is what stimulates the new generation - god help us. The only thing that could save this franchise now is for Sheev to come back and lay waste to the entire galaxy with force lightening, put this fanatical sick disney mouse to rest, and let the midichlorians of the galaxy create life anew (apparently this is now possible as Yoda demonstrates in this abomination of film by setting fire to things). That or perhaps let Marcia Lucas edit another Star Wars film, but even then she could probably not do much with the content being created under Kathleen Kennedy. Expand
garyantesDec 24, 2017
Guy who directed this should be fired. So great potential after Force Awakens wasted. Ridiculous choices and bad acting. Only Finn put an effort in it - and director forgot about him. Movie was so bad that I created account just to write it.
BullstompDec 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie re-defines disappointment. Bad pacing, unnecessary subplots, terrible story that amounts to nothing (there was zero progress beginning to end) and some serious head scratching moments (Luke and the seacow, Mary Poppins, Phasma Luke and Snoke getting killed unceremoniously. Not to mention Rey is the definition of a Mary Sue. I really don't understand how anyone would like this. Disney/Kathleen Kennedy have killed Star Wars for me. Expand
rs2018Dec 22, 2017
Looks great. Story is horrid. No good battle scenes NONE. Should be renamed. Star Wars:Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Politically Correct Jedi tradition man hating edition. They are going to let Rian direct three more of these. Wow.
abdeckenDec 23, 2017
The goofy humor and political agenda ruined the atmosphere and was just so unwanted in a star wars film it's not funny.
eyewandersfotoJan 3, 2018
Rian Johnson is the kid you didn't let play with your Star Wars toys. I grew up with Star Wars. I had a decent amount of toys, though not a lot because we didn't have a lot of money, but some and I loved them. I saw both Empire Strikes BackRian Johnson is the kid you didn't let play with your Star Wars toys. I grew up with Star Wars. I had a decent amount of toys, though not a lot because we didn't have a lot of money, but some and I loved them. I saw both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in theaters (a bit too young for A New Hope - I was only 3 at the time)... I, like so very many, played with Star Wars action figures and toys relentlessly, reenacting and inventing over and over. There was ALWAYS some kid that wanted to play too who wanted to kill Luke, or deface Leia, or wanted to do nothing but make the figures have sex, etc etc.... That was the kid that you didn't let play Star Wars with you, that made you just put away your toys and go play on the swing. That kid was Rian Johnson. Expand
deadstonedDec 24, 2017
Great special effects, pretty to look at. Story, characters and jokes absolutely dire. Best to skip if you are a star wars fan.
neuro-punkJan 1, 2018
The Last Jedi singlehandedly ruined the original Star Wars trilogy with its disservice toward the characters, story/lore, etc. of the original trilogy. The Last Jedi is trash.
zephyr8157Dec 31, 2017
Production in this movie is high quality and you will most likely enjoy it in theatre, but when special effects will be forgot and you will think about showing SW to your son, you will show old movies, because new ones has poor story,Production in this movie is high quality and you will most likely enjoy it in theatre, but when special effects will be forgot and you will think about showing SW to your son, you will show old movies, because new ones has poor story, undeveloped characters and lore ignorance driving its value down to zero. Expand
shadsoloJan 10, 2018
star wars ruined forever. nothing that has happened before matters. Rian J. obviously wanted to tear everything built before him down.
FinsterDec 19, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are some great scenes in that movie. But sadly, the price for seeing them is too high. There is no consistency in the characters, the arcs or the setting. Things happen without reason. There is no payoff to anything that was promised by the first movie in the new trilogy and to my discontent, there is no narrative coherence. Also but not the worst: cringy, childish/cartoonish and partially obstrusive humor, strange choices made by the characters, hollow performances, weird romance and a pointless 30 minute detour? Why can Rei use all the jedi tricks without proper training? Purple Lady had a very late realization. Casino planet? A lot of wasted potential. I'm flabbergasted. Switching directors mid-trilogy seems to be a poor choice in hindsight. I think I just should stop caring, it's not worth it anymore. Expand
ProfesorRichFeb 13, 2018
Not only a bad Star Wars film, but a bad film in its own right. Completely misrepresents and tears up the continuity of the original characters, does a massive disservice to the universe, and even makes a hash job of the open plot lines fromNot only a bad Star Wars film, but a bad film in its own right. Completely misrepresents and tears up the continuity of the original characters, does a massive disservice to the universe, and even makes a hash job of the open plot lines from The Force Awakens.

This film is horrendous.
bcd3169Dec 26, 2017
Really bad quality. The script has a lot of stuff that does not have any purpose. Mostly boring and feels pointles
MikalDDec 20, 2017
Rian Johnson said he didn’t make this movie ‘to give the fans what they wanted to see’ and Mark Hamill said when he read the script he was “insulted”. So should we be surprised that this movie has gotten so poorly rated by fans? Because ofRian Johnson said he didn’t make this movie ‘to give the fans what they wanted to see’ and Mark Hamill said when he read the script he was “insulted”. So should we be surprised that this movie has gotten so poorly rated by fans? Because of the innumerable plot holes and invalidating 40 years of Star Wars history this movie is beyond bad. Surprising the audience is one thing but this is just denigrating history.

I think most fans understand and agree that the definition of Star Wars movies needs to eventually expand and it naturally would have. However, you can’t just take a shortcut to get there by retconning the 40-year history of the Skywalker saga. There is still going to be hundreds more Star Wars movies made by Disney you would think they could have left the Skywalker Saga alone to some extent. I suppose The Force Awakens direction unfortunately put all this in motion but Last Jedi still did not have to so completely invalidate the importance of George Lucas’ Skywalker saga. I have no idea how episode 9 can possibly fix any of this without coming off overly contrived. The first 6 episodes of the Skywalker saga and Rogue One ultimately all lead to a very satisfying logical cohesive conclusion. Disney having a new director pop in to each new episode in the new trilogy and take it in their own personal direction clearly does not lend itself to creating a cohesive new trilogy story. This movie amazingly also retcons most of anything you would care about from The Force Awakens too. I agree surprising the audience is valuable but when that is achieved by just simply saying everything before me is just not valuable anymore that comes off as cheap, unearned, insulting and just poor story telling. This movie sadly as many have stated in a way destroys Star Wars. Things that are no longer valuable in Star Wars if we are to believe this movie: Jedi, goodness, fighting for good, lightsaber battles, Anakin, Vader, Luke, Jedi training, respecting tradition, Luke being a Jedi, Yoda thinking training is important, shields, respect for the chosen one fulfilling the prophecy and bringing balance to the force, respect for the chosen one’s lightsaber. If none of these things are valuable anymore then why did Disney in even buy Star Wars? It’s as if this movie is stuck up on itself and thinks it’s more important than all the other movies before it. This movie actively makes you try to feel bad for believing in anything that came before it. This movie in a vacuum still does not deserve to be rated well for its innumerable plot hole issues but ultimately this movie deserves a negative rating because of what it represents to Star Wars as a whole. These are dark times for Star Wars.
aruffcornJan 6, 2018
The amount of potent disgust I feel towards this film and its creators is beyond words. I'm not going to waste (too much) time rehashing what 62,984,825 true fans have already iterated across Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. but I do want toThe amount of potent disgust I feel towards this film and its creators is beyond words. I'm not going to waste (too much) time rehashing what 62,984,825 true fans have already iterated across Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. but I do want to mention that I personally found this film to be an overt assault on: STAR WARS fans, Men, Family, Tradition, Religion, The aged, Capitalism, My eyes/ears, My intelligence, and on George Lucas/Ben Burtt/Mark Hamill, etc.

Not only is this post-postmodern pile of garbage offensive in its caustic/nihilistic sensibilities, it is also devoid of the high-quality STAR WARS craftsmanship we've come to know and love. THE LAST JEDI is a poorly put-together film. Strictly speaking, on the technical side of things, it's crappy. Perhaps we all could have tolerated the aforementioned hyper-political misandrous hate-fest, if the film had exhibited just a lick of cinematic prowess -- but alas!

I'm genuinely struggling to write one good thing about THE LAST JEDI... oh, John Williams!

John Williams' score was solid, and it stands on it's own, thank God. That's why I gave this film 1/10, instead of 0/10. Williams is the man, too bad he got pimped out to this drivel. I found the sound design to be coarse and jarring - where the heck is Ben Burtt? Are you aware that even he doesn't know why he was axed? No Ben Burtt = Red flag #47. The story was nothing, the dialog and humor atrocious, no character development. Rian Johnson destroyed all of Abrams' hard-earned potential and mystery, in one overlong bloated hyper-messy mash. Shameful. Really! I found the "special effects" totally ho-hum. Been there, done that. The explosions were all cut-and-paste pixelation nightmares. This was way worse than Michael Bay's latest Transformers film, and I couldn't stand that one -- at least Bay's special effects are special. Plot holes, ridiculous physics, canonic inconsistencies (to the absurd) -- this film's got it all.

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI. Gross + hollow; everything about it. Hated it. Could not have been more disappointed...

STAR WARS is supposed to be FUN. Thank you Rian Johnson (and whomever else pulled this crap lever) for infusing politics into "our beloved STAR WARS." In this polarized political climate we find ourselves in today, you could (and should) have taken the high road, and been the ONE thing that brought everyone together. "Everyone loves STAR WARS!" That used to be a thing people would say, it was bi-partisan/universal. Not anymore. You ruined it, and multiplied this present darkness exponentially. Very divisive move, Disney. You sold out to your crap politics, and alienated AT LEAST half of the STAR WARS fan-base.

I didn't make this political. You did. So I'll go there, just real quick... The caustic ideologies present in THE LAST JEDI are likely the same ideologies which were major contributing factors to Trump's 2016 victory. This ram-it-down-your-throat, take-no-prisoners, no compromise, no apologies approach is only going to continue to empower the growing backlash against the ideologies of the left (socialism, rabid/hateful feminism, moral relativism; just to name a few of the bigger/uglier ones). I believe there is a strong correlation between Trump supporters and THE LAST JEDI haters. Not a perfect correlation, by any means, but I think there's a trend there, for sure. This continued "double down on your failures" approach, from the left, will probably lead to a second term for Trump. Yes, THE LAST JEDI may very well help Trump win a second term. That's how bad THE LAST JEDI is. LOL. Just kidding. (I'm trying to be partisan here!) My heart goes out to all the others like me who were actually devastated by this release. I was pleased to see I wasn't alone. I'd never been let down like this before (film-wise). Thank God it's only a movie (and not canon, in my world). Timothy Zahn forever. May the (pre-Disney) Force be with you. (i'm not-a-bot) P.S. This would be a pretty awesome bot entry. Let me know if you know of any bots who could pull this off -- I'd love an introduction. LOL. Peace.
DitronianJan 9, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A joke of a movie, literally everything has comedy awkwardly injected into it. Virtually nothing in the film felt like it could be taken seriously. If you wanted a Star Wars film where every character plays an alter ego of Jar Jar Binks, this is the film for you.

The plot and plot holes are terrible also, the First Order continues to get its ass kicked in every encounter, yet we are told to believe that hope is near lost because of 'reasons'. With no sense of plot, the entire story lacks any weight, and in the end, events that were supposed to be critical to the film ultimately felt very cheap.
cipherhawkJan 21, 2018
This movie was massacred by the director's poor writing skills. Not to say that the film wasn't visually stunning, but what it had in visuals it lacked in plot and logic. The film is filled with inconsistent plot points and a completelyThis movie was massacred by the director's poor writing skills. Not to say that the film wasn't visually stunning, but what it had in visuals it lacked in plot and logic. The film is filled with inconsistent plot points and a completely illogical storyline. This is certainly NOT a true Star Wars film in my opinion. The Director/Writer and Disney completely miss the mark here. In my opinion, this is the last Star Wars film I will be seeing. Expand
chootsJan 30, 2018
Rian Johnson failed to approach this as the second part of a three act trilogy, respecting the films that have come before. By throwing out everything set up from TFA, criminally wasting many established characters, and introducing pointlessRian Johnson failed to approach this as the second part of a three act trilogy, respecting the films that have come before. By throwing out everything set up from TFA, criminally wasting many established characters, and introducing pointless new ones he's created a mess. Topped with half baked political commentary and cringe worthy jokes sprinkled into every dramatic scene, you are left with a truly terrible script. God awful writing that should never have made it passed first draft. Bitterly disappointing. Expand
Ha3liumDec 22, 2017
I really don't understand why critics are praising this film. Leaving aside any Star Wars expectations (I'm fine with something completely different) here are the issues:

- Too many characters, not enough character. With about 8 main

- Too many characters, not enough character. With about 8 main characters not including our protaganist, there isn't any time for character development.
- Having its cake and eating it. There are several moments when something dramatic happens, only for the reveal that it didn't actually happen. By the end I didn't care about anything happening because they killed the impact of any events by reversing everything that happened previously.
- Pointless side-plots that went nowhere. You can actually cut every scene with Finn & Rose, and it would make literally no difference to the plot. Nothing they do affects the film in any way.

As for Star Wars specific criticisms:
- Jedi training is now meaningless. Anyone born with the force can throw stuff around and fly without training.
- Kamakazi ship attacks that make every Death Star plot meaningless now, why didn't they just hyperspace fly a ship into the Death Star?

This film doesn't work as its own thing, and it doesn't work as a Star Wars film. How critics can be praising this crap after the treatment they gave Blade Runner 2049 is a mystery to me.
mechrahodDec 25, 2017
May the sands of Force hide the bones of this weak and uninspired film, that has no buisness being Star Wars.

Film Revan, you money-monkeys.
Solid_KevJan 22, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was oddly anti-mythology. Have no idea why. Felt like I went to the theater to have a good time and ended up getting scolded Expand
Last_CenturionJan 24, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Side-quest literally started as a videogame cutscene.

Maz in a ridiculous situation, holograms catching her from every side, bam, bam! Here and there. She giving a quest which you can accept or decline. Of course they will accept. There is a codebraker you have to find. I coincidentally know about one. He is on this casino planet and is there ALL THE TIME and always in casino. As some NPC who you can visit at any time during a day or night. He is always there. And, of course, you will know it is him because of this red flower thingy on him. Cing picture of the exact thing she is talking about appears on the HUD*. Now go! I told you everything you need to know, now I must go as well!

pheeewww she flies away, hologram ends, cutscene is closed

** SIDE QUEST BEGINS ** *
Stephenj2010Jan 10, 2019
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is litterly the WORST Star Wars film ever I ever saw in my entire life. Those freakin critics were being stupid and gave good ratings for no good reason WHY? because the whole story is so so SO horrible written! BadStar Wars: The Last Jedi is litterly the WORST Star Wars film ever I ever saw in my entire life. Those freakin critics were being stupid and gave good ratings for no good reason WHY? because the whole story is so so SO horrible written! Bad acting, same problem as the Empire Strikes Back. and Even, even EVEN Worst! and after that, I GOT SO OUTRAGE OVER THIS WHOLE WORST FILM, BEHIND EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MEANECE! So So So Horribly terrible moments in the history of the Star Wars franchise. I'M AM SO NOT HAPPY WITH THIS 8TH EPISODE OF STAR WARS! In the next 12 months, I Hope that Episode IX will be better than this horrible episode. Bad bad bad bad BAD Star Wars films! WORST STAR WARS MOVIE EVER! >:( Expand
bad-magicDec 21, 2017
In short this is a really difficult movie to review. There is so much wrong with this that as you try to lay out the criticisms in some sort of coherent fashion you are bombarded with memory after memory of this mess of a film.

It starts

It starts fairly well, the iconic scrolling text and opening are solid despite some daft spaceship designs (bombers... in space? And it ends as well as you might expect) the brief space battle looks good but it too heavy handed and sets the tone for this movie; it wants to be emotionally hard-hitting and slapstick without succeeding at either.

The comedy elements: often mentioned but I found them so unobtrusive or ineffective that I won't mention them further beyond that they were often at the expense of the audience.

The story premise is a fairly good one and could have worked (plucky rebellion are being pursued by a vastly superior First Order force and need to think their way out of almost certain defeat) but every arc and subplot is self-defeating at best or outright awful at worst. The Force Awakens did not do a very good job of uniting the characters it hopes to build this franchise upon and compounds the problem by including more characters that are even less fleshed out - if asked I could not describe Finn, Rey or even Poe except in the vaguest of terms - which leads to the bigger problem.

What the hell is going on? Is there a Republic, who are the Resistance, what situation are they in, what planets got blown up and what was actually lost by the First Order's attack? The world building is non-existent, I have -no- idea what the Resistance is what it's fighting for what challenges it faces and I cynically expect it is kept nebulous to allow lazy writers to shoe-horn in details as it needs them down the line.

I had expected to enjoy this, and I could not believe how embarrassed I was to be sitting there watching this film. I spent the majority of the excessive runtime staring at the screen incredulously; the choices and direction this film takes are breathtakingly stupid in places (Space Leia anyone?) and seriously detract from the story which begins disintegrating almost immediately after the opening scene. During the screening I was in there were regularly groans and whispered complaints, even strangers behind me were asking me if I were seeing what they were, and there was not a single laugh to be had. The Force Awakens for all its faults was still enjoyable, and the audience was right there carried along (admittedly once you left the theater or attempted a second viewing the spell was broken) but this was one of the least joyful experiences I have ever had watching a film.

Everyone outside of Luke Skywalker (with some uneasy character development) was a single note character, they were whatever emotion they happened to be portraying at that moment. From the writing and narrative it was impossible to determine what any of these characters principles or motivations are. Granted, Kylo and Rey get some intrigue that worked better than I expected only for it to unravel in an utterly pointless confrontation towards the end of the movie - and by then I just wanted it to end.

There is so much that did not work in this film and it is bitterly disappointing. I don't think I'll be watching the next one, and I'm not someone who would support boycotts or petitions for a remake or any of that silliness, I have just seen all I need to see and don't want any more.

TL;DR Force Awakens was fun whilst I was watching it, but does not hold up to further viewings.
Rogue One was watchable but utterly meh and suffered from some casting issues.
The Last Jedi was badly thought through, regularly undermined itself and uncomfortable viewing. There are a few good moments peppered throughout, but they are destroyed by terrible writing and confounding plot choices. Not that the Last Jedi is hard to follow, you just find yourself wondering about how these ideas made it to the screen. It reminds you it is a movie at every turn, and a very bad one at that.
KidzinJan 2, 2018
As many others i have made account just to voice my disgust for this abomination. This "movie "does two "things". Beeing awful on so many levels; plot wise, character wise, lore wise, logic wise, just EVERYTHING is utter garbage except ofAs many others i have made account just to voice my disgust for this abomination. This "movie "does two "things". Beeing awful on so many levels; plot wise, character wise, lore wise, logic wise, just EVERYTHING is utter garbage except of some flashy visuals. Second thing is constant propaganda of leftist ideologies and feminist agenda. If previous two Disney entries did no kill Star Wars, well, this is it boys and girls. Don't spend your money on it, you might as well use those $ as toilet paper and get more value that way. Expand
storm_of_swordsJan 5, 2018
This movie took a crap on the Star Wars mythology and beloved characters. Now I understand why Mark Hamill had been saying that he disagreed with every decision that Disney and the director of this movie made about his character. It also tookThis movie took a crap on the Star Wars mythology and beloved characters. Now I understand why Mark Hamill had been saying that he disagreed with every decision that Disney and the director of this movie made about his character. It also took a giant crap on all of the interesting and exciting things that The Force Awakens setup and left us without nothing to be excited for in the next one.

JJ Abrams will have his work cut out for him trying to cleanup this mess in the next one. Help us, JJ Abrams, you are our only hope.
DCMovieJan 22, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're a fan of the originals, you'll probably be disappointed. Horrible dialogue, no real plot line, still no background to the characters (unless you believe Kylo Ren, in which case it's a waste of a storyline), pointless filler, pointless action (crashing a ship into another to save Finn who miraculously has not a scratch on him), Leia is now Superman? I personally will not be seeing the third installment. This is clearly a case of getting you hooked in the first one, but not revealing much in the second so now you have to see the third one for closure. Only I bet there won't be any closure except in the 100's of offshoots they make as they milk the franchise for all its worth. I've only ever liked one thing that JJ Abrams has ever touched, and director Rian Johnson has shown himself to be a real jerk when interacting with fans via twitter.

To those who say that the originals were just as goofy, etc., yes I agree. However, kids who watched the originals back in the day are adults now, and if they wanted to do something different, they could have gone down a path to make it more "adult". An example would be Christopher Nolan's Batman vs the garbage from the late-80s & 90s. I understand Disney bought the franchise, Disney makes kids movies, yada yada, but they could have expanded their business model and broadened their portfolio.
ArtPowerDec 23, 2017
Maybe it is the absolute lack of respect for the saga, the lore, the characters and the fans, maybe it is the lack of military strategy knowledge that leads to some of the dumbest plot decisions I've ever seen in my life. It might be the wayMaybe it is the absolute lack of respect for the saga, the lore, the characters and the fans, maybe it is the lack of military strategy knowledge that leads to some of the dumbest plot decisions I've ever seen in my life. It might be the way Yoda goes banannas and burn all the Jedi books. The thing is, for me, this is the worst film I've seen in my life and killed SW for me. Seriously. What the **** Expand
AharazaJan 30, 2018
Nice visuals and music but extremely bad writing makes this the worst star wars movie. Destroys the sage like nobody expected.
adinihudiniJan 3, 2018
The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie. The worst Star Wars movie.
SmelschJan 8, 2018
So what's the deal with these critics scores? I find it incomprehensible that they can think that this movie is a modern masterpiece. Even if the logic centres of your brain don't reject the deluge of plot holes, plot armoured characters, andSo what's the deal with these critics scores? I find it incomprehensible that they can think that this movie is a modern masterpiece. Even if the logic centres of your brain don't reject the deluge of plot holes, plot armoured characters, and jarringly injected political correctness, the story itself is total pants. This movie is so badly conceived and executed that it actually REDUCES the amount of joy you'll get if you rewatch the older SW movies... well, if your any sort of fan of Luke anyway.

The message of this movie is 'Get with these nihilistic times sister, because being THE hero is lame, and we're all heroes you see, so we all get a prize just for participating'. It doesn't appear that any sort of decent script writer did because the pacing, humour, and shape of the movie are all way off. I imagine director Rian Johnson was given a checklist of crappy ideas and scenarios by Disney that he had to somehow shoehorn into it. That would help to explain the out-of-character and moronic behaviour, and the endless unneeded side stories that often had little, or nothing, to do with the plot. They just burned valuable time that would have better spent world building and developing some of the secondary characters properly. For instance: - What is the rest of the galaxy up to after the events of the previous movie. You'd think some of them would be angry enough to do something. Say what you want about the prequels, but they always made you believe they took place in a vibrant and culturally diverse universe. The stakes just feel so small and inconsequential in this movie when compared to even 'Rogue One'.

Please don't be fooled by the thousands of Disney mandated positive reviews that have been appearing online - this movie is a dog, and it leaves me with absolutely no interest in where these movies are going nor desire to see what happens next.

R.I.P. my childhood hero and role model Luke Skywalker, and commiserations to Mark Hamill. You didn't deserve this treatment at all dude.
calypso123Dec 23, 2017
Disney is the empire, and Ryan Johnson is their deathstar.............. .
kleindropperDec 25, 2017
The Destruction of Star Wars and Everything Special About It:

The Destruction of Star Wars and Everything Special About It:

I feel so bad for today's kids. I grew up on the original Star Wars trilogy, which clearly laid out how love, calm, and self sacrifice = the Light side of the Force, and hatred, anger, selfishness = the Dark Side. It was clear cut, and helped guide my moral compass growing up almost as much as anything. Luke emobodied these ideals and struggled with the darkness and the light through his 3 movie arc before solidifying himself as the greatest hero in the history of movie-dom by saving his father and the galaxy.

And now we have TLJ, where Disney throws everything we hold dear out the window. Luke is destroyed and treated lower than dirt. The Force and how it works is destroyed. The rebellion is destroyed. Everything the rebellion worked for in the original trilogy is destroyed. The beloved Admiral Ackbar is unceremoniously flushed in favor of a new purple haired character nobody cares about or will remember.

And the main character Rey, who I am supposed to be rooting for, is essentially a Sith in the employ of the Resistance with her rampant use of untamed dark side power. Don't worry though, the porgs and horse-dogs are saved! yay! Long live Supreme Leader Ren and the victorious First Order!

This film leaves people with ZERO anticipation for episode 9. Are 30 people (the entirety of the Resistance now fits in the Falcon) going to defeat a galactic Empire of billions? Who will lead the Resistance since we know Leia is dead IRL? Will they pull some other random pink haired lady from the back or do we need to wait 10 years for broom boy? Will Kylo finally turn good after slaughtering the entire galaxy or will Rey defeat him? Who cares. I'm out. See you later Disney. I'm going to go hug my pre-special edition VCR tapes of the original trilogy and cry.
NPFriganoDec 25, 2017
I have never made a review on this web site and i dont expect to make another. I felt compelled to this time however due to the PR spin the powers that be are trying to put on this movie. The fans are upset. The fans do not like this movie. II have never made a review on this web site and i dont expect to make another. I felt compelled to this time however due to the PR spin the powers that be are trying to put on this movie. The fans are upset. The fans do not like this movie. I (and many others i am sure) are done with the star wars franchise.

This movie completely **** on the previous material. This movie has little to no respect for the source material and is essentially a long toy commercial. Nothing eventful happens in this movie. nothing. Luke dying isnt even important. He wasnt there to start with. Now he is dead. The situation didnt change. The "rebellion" is in the same **** shape as when the movie started. Apparently, destroying the first orders super weapon in episode 7 didnt phase the first order. It didnt inspire the galaxy to fight back like destroying the death star inspired people. The characters in this movie do not have to actually work for any rewards. i would make the same claim to the **** director of this movie. He really phoned it in. Kylo has had training since he was young in the ways of the force and in combat. Rey is apparently on par with him with no training. I hear all the trendies defending this by saying "the force made her stronger" well thats great. She has more force power now. wonderful. it doesnt mean **** if she doesnt KNOW HOW TO USE IT. i could give you all the gasoline you could hold. without a car, tell me how fast that gas makes you go? Just "having power" doesnt mean **** unless you know how to use it. There are so many things i could point out here that are just simply idiotic but i dont believe i am going to be changing peoples minds. Either you like it or you dont. It just seems to me that everyone who "liked it" only look on the surface of things. they are entertained by pretty lights, a ****ty romance that they are setting up between ray and kylo. the ****ty romance that happened all of a sudden between the fat asian plumber and the token black guy. then the inevitable love triangle cause the token black guy fell in love with ray in the same super fast what the **** way in the first movie as fat asian plumber did in this. This is the problem with fandoms getting into the mainstream. Instead of actually having to have quality in writing/story telling, the mega corps can just cash in on the trendies and the name of the product. RIP star wars. i wont be seeing another movie in this brand.

TL;DR - the fans are actually upset. dont let your own spin fool you disney, you ****ed up.
guammybear0Dec 25, 2017
Pros:
- By far the best looking Star Wars Film
- Light Saber Battles are awesome and well choreographed. Cons: 1. Left open plot lines from The Force Awakens(TFA). - TFA made Snokes background a major plotline, this move did not explain
Pros:
- By far the best looking Star Wars Film
- Light Saber Battles are awesome and well choreographed.

Cons:
1. Left open plot lines from The Force Awakens(TFA). - TFA made Snokes background a major plotline, this move did not explain any of it. - TFA made Rey's background a big deal, this movie provided an unsatisfactory resolution. (What's the point of making them a mystery in TFA, if they're nobodies?) - TFA setup Finn to be force sensitive, no further development here. - TFA made out Snoke to be supremey powerful, he met an anticlimactic end in this movie.
2. Poor overall plot. - Casino subplot was unecessary, when you think about it. Why did the purple haired lady hide her plan? If she had disclosed it the casino would have been unnecessary. - The whole Casino scene was unnecessary, it ended up failing overall. - Finn's romance with the asian girl was poorly written. Her character was not developed, it felt forced. TFA had some romantic tension with Rey and Finn, not furthered in this movie. - How do bombs "fall" in gravity? - This was a problem with TFA as well, but how the hell does Rey overcome Elite Guards without training? 3. Betrayal of Luke Skywalker. - Luke spent the first trilogy trying to redeem his father, you're telling me the same Luke, would kill his nephew after he sensed a little bit of darkness? GTFOH!!!
4. Comedy was forced and cheesey and out of place.
PisoDec 27, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't like The Last Jedi because it is a deeply cynical and nihilistic post-modern deconstruction of the Campbell hero myth.

A lot of criticism of TLJ has focused on its gaping plot holes. I’’m not going to do that here because most people don’t really care about gaping plot holes if a movie delivers a good time and a solid message. The other criticisms you hear are about “”poorly written characters””, “”bad sense of humor””, or ““pointless side plots””. In fact, all three of those are symptoms of the underlying nihilism of the film.

REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

It’s not that the humor in the film isn’t funny. Often, it does make us laugh in the moment, but almost invariably serves to undermine the authority and gravitas of a character, rendering him impotent, which instinctively rubs some people the wrong way. In the first scene, Poe makes an absolute mockery of General Hux. How can we take Hux seriously after that? Finn runs around naked in a leaking bacta suit. Chewbacca’s power is drained by porgs. Snoke’s a joke. Luke’’s lightsaber is treated like garbage. And, of course, Luke Skywalker is ruthlessly and vulgarly humiliated at every opportunity. Vulnerability in characters can humanize, making them sympathetic (think about how your felt when Snoke mocked Ren’s mask), but it’’s hard to look silly and intimidating at the same time. In contrast, the humor in the original trilogy was almost always either romantic banter or a repair to defuse a tense situation.

Characters seem thin because nothing they do matters and nothing about them matters. Family doesn’t matter. Rank doesn’t matter. Relationships don’t matter. Heros don’t matter. The most sympathetic character in TLJ is Kylo Ren as he sinks into the deep, abiding nihilism the film celebrates. Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.
The only thing the good guys have going for them is the Force, which is a stand-in for deus-ex machina. The Force provides. Rey doesn’t need a family nor a backstory nor training nor wasted time with self-improvement because the Force does all the work for her. There is no true struggle for the good. Rather, the film posits that there is no good. No evil for that matter. It’s all subjective. We are all in a galactic hamster wheel in which nothing ultimately matters. THAT’S the lesson Canto Bight teaches us through Rose and Finn. Can’t find the expert you’re looking for? Who cares, there are no experts, anyone will do, any random thief. The Force provides! Obviously, Rose and Finn’s mission is an abject failure and they learn nothing. They congratulate themselves that at least they saved the space ponies, but it’s not like the animals won’t immediately be recaptured, and they did nothing at all for the slave children. It’s no coincidence that Benicio Del Toro’s nihilist “DJ” (“Don’t Join”) saunters away rich without a scratch on him. That guy really gets it!
Look at how the film plays with the notion of self-sacrifice for the greater good, one of the classic hallmarks of a hero myth:

Paige Tico’s self-sacrifice is meaningless. The dreadnought is easily replaced. Many rebels die. Poe is dressed down and demoted (but not so you’d notice-- his demotion is also meaningless. What’s rank?).
Holdo’s self-sacrifice is meaningless. The rebel hiding spot is immediately discovered.
Fin’s attempt at self-sacrifice would have been meaningless, if not for Rose interrupting his effort and explaining how pointless it all is.

The lesson for Kylo Ren was that he should not have allowed himself to be distracted by Luke. Luke was only an illusion, a relic with no substance, no real power. Apparently, he was all but dead already. If Ren had only followed his own advice and “Let the Past Die”, he would have triumphed and crushed the rebels.

I learned that since Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm and rejection of Lucas, there has been no master plan for the new trilogy nor its ancillary projects. Rather, Disney's Kathleen Kennedy has been constructing a multi-billion dollar write-around, with each successive writer/director told to do as they liked, with no regard for continuity, only to be fired mid-stride if she didn't like what they were up to. Abrams did what he does and constructed a mystery box out of "The Force Awakens", questions without answers à la "Lost". Now, Rian Johnson, using Kylo Ren as his personal stand-in, has deconstructed and demolished that box and has built nothing at all to replace it.

"The Last Jedi" takes a treasure chest with seven movies' worth of content in it, dumps it in the dirt, shows us the empty bottom, and jokes about it. We're supposed to admire how clever that is, while not questioning what we are to do with these empty boxes. Kylo Ren's mission to kill the past is complete. I didn't like it.
defdazDec 27, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would give this zero stars if possible. This film is not only an awful piece of storytelling in its own right, but also a complete F*CK YOU to fans of the original trilogy. I can't comprehend how this film has had such good reviews from the critics but am gratified to see the sheer number of fans giving it poor reviews. Leia Poppins, Luke being Not-Luke and dying on a rock from doing nothing but using the Force, an entire sub-story (in a film with very few plot lines) being entirely pointless and characters like Akbar being killed off with utter disregard are just a few of the things so very, very wrong about this sh*tstorm of a movie. The film makers need to have a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. Expand
jad52784Dec 29, 2017
Shameful, absolutely shameful. I have never felt compelled to leave a movie review, much less on a Star Wars movie. I pains me to do this but Rian Johnson and Disney must be held accountable for this sick, insulting, offensive abomination.Shameful, absolutely shameful. I have never felt compelled to leave a movie review, much less on a Star Wars movie. I pains me to do this but Rian Johnson and Disney must be held accountable for this sick, insulting, offensive abomination. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. Expand
DaveACDec 30, 2017
Unfortunately this was not a film film for me a 40 year old fan of the originals. The out of place humour belittled characters and destroyed any dramatic tension. Luke Skywalker's character transformation was badly conceived and hisUnfortunately this was not a film film for me a 40 year old fan of the originals. The out of place humour belittled characters and destroyed any dramatic tension. Luke Skywalker's character transformation was badly conceived and his conclusion unsatisfying, why go to the cinema to see that ending. There were numerous plot holes, one of the worst lead to the whole Casino world story which gave me flash backs to the Phantom menace. The way the force was handled in the movie didn't align with how it worked in earlier films. I simply wasn't entertained. Won't be rushing to see more of these. Expand
KG_19Jan 1, 2018
Truly the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Either the critics have a very low bar, or they just aren't Star Wars fans--fans who love the characters, and the grand themes of the franchise, as opposed to 'fans' who just want to see laser swordTruly the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Either the critics have a very low bar, or they just aren't Star Wars fans--fans who love the characters, and the grand themes of the franchise, as opposed to 'fans' who just want to see laser sword fights and space battles. The Last Jedi is for the latter - empty, hollow, corporate garbage. Expand
Jones7611Jan 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I'm not a bot, I'm not alt-right and I'm not here to troll. I just want to give you my story. We were about 15 people watching The Last Jedi, ranging from guys in their early 40ies having grown-up with Star Wars to 20-somethings with basically no idea whats the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. None of us would qualify as a hardcore fan-boy and nobody had some kind of fan fiction in his mind. But its fair to say, that everybody having seen TFA was expecting answers.

After the movie we compared our thoughts and rated the movie. The best vote came from someone in her twenties, she thought the movies was ok-ish, but she wouldn't watch it again or recommend it to friends. This could translate to something like 4 stars, maybe 5, if you feel generous. Worst reaction was along the lines of "what a pile of garbage", so all other ratings were below that, maybe in the range of 1-3 stars. Drilling further down, everybody felt insulted by the same things, independent of "Star Wars experience". A nice quote from that evening was "how stupid does Disney believe me to be?". So all of us were offended by immense amount of plotholes, absurd storytelling, meaningless story arcs and plain silly behaviour of basically anybody in the movie. We couldn't identify a single character showing something like common sense, or signs of intelligence, or basic military training.

None of us felt insulted by the choices made by Rian Johnson, all of us were good with the direction of the story, with the single exception of Luke trying to murder his nephew in his sleep. However, none of us felt that the story was new, or original, or unexpected. Basically its an amalgamation of The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Battlestar Galactica, especially the episode 33. We had this "been there done that" feeling quite a lot.

Finally, most of us were annoyed by the forced humor, calling it misplaced. Star Wars was always kind of funny, but a lot of the jokes simply felt plain wrong and out of character. Maybe on a side-note: 2 guys swore to never drink milk again. On a personal note: That was the single-most disgusting scene I have seen last year.

So whats the verdict? From my point of view The Last Jedi is maybe the worst movie of the year. Interestingly it is not failing because of whats happening (story, characters, choices...) is failing because of how (no logic, plotholes, retconning lore...) it happens. Just a few examples: - What is the logic behind trying to sneak of a cruiser in smaller freighters, when you are within viewing distance???
- How is it possible, that a fleet of Star Destroyers with 1.500 turbo laser cannons each can't overload the shields of an old cruiser???
- Why don't send 2 ships ahead at lightspeed creating an effective trap???
- Why not simply launch all TIEs in the first place? The first order fleet should have at least 1.000...
- How can DJ betray a plan, Finn and Rose don't know and haven't talked about??? Was he the only guy looking out of the window???
- Why do several attack walkers with the order to kill everybody from the resistance not shoot Finn and Rose???
- How is possible to run severals miles faster than giant attack walkers while carrying someone and arriving just in time to be evacuted with everybody else???
- Why do you risk the single most important mission for the survival of the resistance with wrong parking???
- Why is Snoke loosing at the same time his common sense, his peripheral vision, his hearing and his feeling of the force???
- How can someone with no training overcome half a dozen highly trained personal guards meant as a last defense???
- If there is blaster-proof armor, why not issue it to all stormtroopers???
- How do you survive a direct hit by 2 torpedos, the vacuum of space while already being frozen over and how do you open a door without everybody being sucked into space???
BoratDec 28, 2017
This is a terrible movie and star wars film. The story is stupid. Don't waste your money or time on this movie. Trust me and everyone else in the reviews, there is a reason is has so many bad reviews.
boris2000Dec 23, 2017
the second act is the plot of Battlestar Galactica 1978, someone old enough to remember?
This is not an iconoclastic play some trying to sale. Bad script, bad directing,bad continuty, the actors give his best but had a traitor behind the camera.
YabsDec 22, 2017
While I went into this movie without any expectations, and while I enjoyed most of episode VII,I left quite disappointed with this. This movie is poor from two perspectives. First as a movie in general, e.g. script, plot, characters, andWhile I went into this movie without any expectations, and while I enjoyed most of episode VII,I left quite disappointed with this. This movie is poor from two perspectives. First as a movie in general, e.g. script, plot, characters, and cinematic. and second as a star wars franchise movie.

1). This is just a poorly done movie / cinematic. --- contrived plot
--- poor character development, e.g. characters do not evolve, they remain static in their understanding of events and conflict from beginning until the end.
--- forced diversity, the character 'Rose' reeks of Disney forcefully placing ethnic diversity into the film as a matter of making a check on list. There is no point to this character and events or responsibilities of this character do not make any sense and are meaningless.

2) Bad Star Wars franchise movie
---No adherence to cannon. e.g. not consistent with established 'rules' of 'The Force'(e.g. Jedi training). Why didn't rebels use hyperspace kamikaze to former threats in previous movies?
---The visuals and action were a step down from previous movies. Where is the masterful Jedi vs. Sith light saber scene? Where is the Jedi taking control of the battle field or space in conflict?
---Lukes climatic buildup carried from episode VII was a big nothing and inconsistent with his matured character from Return of the Jedi. To be frank, we all wanted to see Luke's bad ass Master Jedi skills in action to save the resistance. ---No climatic battle with Supreme leader Snoke... by the way, can holy wood get away from the contrived throne room? No rulers sit day in and day out in a throne room. At least Darth Sidious's room was more of a command viewpoint to watch galactic warfare.
JustDunnDec 22, 2017
Terrible movie. Unlikable characters. Plot holes. Skip it. Save yourself.
lricccDec 23, 2017
I just created this account to express my disappointment about this movie. It has excellent shots, but its story makes no sense. I would not recommend it to anyone.
AswarinDec 26, 2017
Yeah it's just disneyfied star wars... it goes from serious to humor in an instant the whole subplot with Fin and Rose is pointless and if it was removed nothing would change. J.J Abrams hit a home run and Johnson forgot to run
harris_83_Dec 27, 2017
Rip, star wars, this movie puts a tombstone on a iconic franchise. Well done disney you **** it up.
Butcher_oneJan 9, 2018
You all know why this is bad and a gave it a score of 1 only because of the music. Thats all, they converted me from a hardcore fan to a hardcore hater. BAN the next episodes!
tomasithJan 9, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to". These words, spoken by Kylo, undoubtfuly relate to the Star Wars saga after 2015 and the premiere of TFA. The saga is in agony. It kills the heroes of old you once related to. It will kill anything you held dear about the old movies. And you, dear viewer, should kill any hope you may still have for the SW tale to continue in a right direction taking into account that the last episode of the newest trilogy will be in the hands of Jar Jar Abrams (who started this mess), and the entire consecutive trilogy spawned in the sick mind of RJ - creator of the latest film - TLJ.
TFA, longly awaited, twisted the galaxy far far away that we knew. It was a calque of ANH gone wrong. I have posted my review of it 2 years ago, so will not go into detail about that movie. The only thing left when I went out of the cinema (did not buy the BR/DVD to see - not worth the money and my time) was hope. Hope for the next episode to set things right. To create new characters who you may relate to. To create the new EU (the old one Disney crossed out when buying the franchise). RO launched in the meantime and it fueled that ray of hope that things are heading in the right direction for the saga as well. But that hope unfortunately was hacked to pieces by a machete with the premiere of TLJ.
The movie continues to dismantle the universe once so beloved by me. It also raises questions. Why Disney, having basically unlimited resources, hires a guy whose only achievement is a mediocre movie to continue with the greatest saga of all time? Who is overlooking this entire project, as there is clearly no proper management over the creative aspects. In the previous trilogies each episode had some consistency in the storyline. Now the viewer (at least me) is left confused. New characters are created just to kill them off/abandon in the next movie? A cliffhanger at the end of TFA (as weak as the film was) leaves us with great expectations- meanwhile it's blown off after 10 minutes of the next film with Luke throwing his sword away and milking the sea-cow (example of hideous "humor")? Why have more sensible ideas been crossed out from the EU, substituted by ridiculous ones which now are "cannon"? Examples: 1) bombers in space, slow as hell, dropping bombs with the force of gravity? Even in the previous movies there were B-wings shooting torpedoes- which makes more sense than having to get so close to the enemy warship; 2) hyperspacing (although hyperspace "logic" was already tampered with in TFA) into enemy ships- why did they not think of it in all the previous movies?! It would have saved millions of lives (Death Star 1 destroying Alderaan; Starkiller destroying even more worlds)! Oh- probably because a woman wasn't in charge of the Rebel fleet then- that would explain it. Retarted men could not have thought of such a simple solution. But why does Haldo sacrifice herself and the command ship instead of just hyping all of the transports (flown by droids) into First Order ships..? There's tons of similar stupidities in the plot mentioned by other reviewers, but the last one I mentioned takes us to the feminist "touch" to the New Star Wars, which is unbearable. I understand the SW universe was dominated by men (because they're sci-fi's "target"?), and there must now be a "par" that we let women in 50/50. But why must their characters be so flat? There were plenty of strong females in the EU: Leia, Mara Jade, the commander of the test Death Star etc. They had "balls" and were memorable. Why did the screenplay writer now lower the standard so much? Didn't he notice this creates a caricature? Even hearing Leia now makes me wanna puke because of the things they make her say (did not happen in the OT). The worst though is the Asian chick - every time she said something it literaliry made me make a facepalm in the cinema. Especially her last words ("make love not war"). I really hope this character does not survive (she was wounded)... She's just meaningless (as 1/3rd of the move with the subplot she's in). Contrary to the women, men are plain stupid ("salt!"), hot-heads (Poe; although admiral Holdo seems to be into that type of men from time to time- as she states) or cowards (Fin wanting to escape; Luke- who is a travesty of himself from the old days and the old EU). Also Kathleen Kennedy making her campaign "the Force is female". WTF?! At least we know who's forcing this crap and who should go to make things better.
There's far more idiocies to describe, but I must end here, as the review's limited to 5k characters.
The thing I have to add at the end: I was a life-long fan of SW (since like 3). I have a 1yo son now and I am ashamed I have bought him SW clothes/gadgets and wanted him to follow my footsteps in embracing the SW universe. I will have to burn all that now, just just like Yoda did to the sacred Jedi scrolls. Let the past die. Let SW die. Shame. Not into SW saga anymore- don't honestly care.
FuzzyWahJan 13, 2018
A massive let down where every potential story thread and character arc is thrown in the trash compactor to make room for Kathleen Kennedy's political agenda. Also Luke Skywalker gets replaced with Jake Skywalker, because there is no way thatA massive let down where every potential story thread and character arc is thrown in the trash compactor to make room for Kathleen Kennedy's political agenda. Also Luke Skywalker gets replaced with Jake Skywalker, because there is no way that was Luke in TLJ. Expand
AndrudisJan 12, 2018
This movie is OK for anyone, who just want to see some sci-fi with good visual effects and who is totally new to SW universe. But for people, who lived with SW universe through original trilogy, books, video games etc... for them this movieThis movie is OK for anyone, who just want to see some sci-fi with good visual effects and who is totally new to SW universe. But for people, who lived with SW universe through original trilogy, books, video games etc... for them this movie could be a huge disappointment. Plot is a total mess with no logical connection even to this movie itself, not to mention all previous SW lore. Dull characters and side plots introduced in this movie just because "why not to add something that can be added". So far this is the worst movie of all 9 (episode 1-8 and including Rogue One) buy its plot and new characters. Comparing this movie to original trilogy is like comparing "Alien: Covenant" to original "Alien" and "Alients", or like comparing "Terminator: Salvation" to "Terminator 2" Expand
redhotkurtDec 22, 2017
I enjoyed the prequels more than The Last Jedi, and that saddens me. I wanted to like this film in spite of its awkwardly Whedon-ish dialogue and tv-like plot, but the visual effects and camera work (which were just above average --
strange
strange considering TLJ was the most anticipated movie of 2017) were not enough to sway me. It wasn't an enjoyable film, mostly because the main characters were written as unlikable, miserable jerks. Where's all the mystery, excitement, and fun? Aren't Star Wars movies supposed to be fun? Perhaps I missed the memo.
ChurblesFurblesDec 24, 2017
A post modernist take on Star Wars, which makes Rey the equivalent of a toilet bowl in an art museum. Now we know what a feminist take on Star Wars is like, apparently its like Transformers, but that wouldn't be fair, the robots have moreA post modernist take on Star Wars, which makes Rey the equivalent of a toilet bowl in an art museum. Now we know what a feminist take on Star Wars is like, apparently its like Transformers, but that wouldn't be fair, the robots have more character than the soulless husks of "identity" politics we see on screen here. They even brought in a pink hair for good measure, because woman strong! There are countless things wrong with this movie, but I don't feel like clicking the spoiler box, its a joke to pretend this movie could be spoiled when its already rotten.

At this point the rebels #resist are little more than incompetent terrorists led by women, if the goal of these movies was to get me to root for the Empire, congrats, job done. I can only wish the Empire would win and put this shambling corpse of a franchise out of its misery.

Its not so much that the sacred was destroyed, as some people like to mis-characterize fanboy reactions, its that they took something good, something with potential, and they spat all over it with their progressive politics, throwing away things they did not understand had value because their ideology blinds them to human reality, even natural human interaction evades the progressives grasp now. These are people who believe everyone is the same, yet different, yet interchangeable, their incoherent world view and ignorance of tradition and history yields cultural destruction like this. The modern Mao's red guard are the Kathleen Kennedy and #imwithher types, and you are seeing now why they cannot be trusted with power.
MetalShanksJan 10, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The context does not match the previous films, the motivation of the characters is poor, the 1 rating is for visual effects and sound. Destroy the vision originally conceived by Lucas. Expand
electricshadow2Jan 12, 2018
It breaks my heart to write this but this movie is truly soulless and all around awful. Absolutely poorly written and conceived. The characters are flat, weak, one-dimensional, and out-of-character. The structure is massively flawed and theIt breaks my heart to write this but this movie is truly soulless and all around awful. Absolutely poorly written and conceived. The characters are flat, weak, one-dimensional, and out-of-character. The structure is massively flawed and the plot is riddled with holes.
I’ve seen every Star Wars movie in theater at least four times on top of countless viewings at home. I will never watch The Last Jedi again. It is hands down the worst in the franchise. I’m going to watch Attack of the Clones to cleanse my pallet…
The filmmakers main goal across the board was to destroy and manipulate our expectations by breaking rules set in the Star Wars universe and by debunking every possible fan theory based on questions set up in The Force Awakens. If you want to play with audiences expectations do it in a standalone genre movie by playing with its genre conventions, not in an established canon. They pulled this “Tricked you / surprise card” so many times it was repulsive. Maybe try using two or three of your brilliant mind blowing disrespectful spins on fan expectations.
I’ve never had such polarizing different opinions with critics as I do with this movie. I spent countless hours reading fan reviews and watching youtube reviews (positive and negative) and the problems that everyone has are consistent across the board. I’m having a hard time understanding why this would be the best critically reviewed Star Wars movie when I feel this is the worst produced… The filmmakers were more concerned with burning the past to build the future that they want. They don't care what the characters or story deserve and are trying to kill the Star Wars mythology.
The original trilogy’s themes were hope, faith, loyalty, family and redemption. The Last Jedi dismantles that and it’s theme is “Let the past die, kill it if you have to.” and to disrespect everything that made Star Wars a universally beloved saga. Star Wars was about the eternal fight of light versus dark and finding the balance between the two. The Last Jedi is grey, bleak, and full of politically correct social propaganda being shoved down your throat in every other scene. Honestly this movie is subversive, divisive, and extremely hypocritical. Entertainment should be entertainment, don’t politicize our escape that actually bonds everyone no matter their age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, or religion.
This movie intentionally tries to retroactively destroy everything we loved about the Star Wars movies that came before it.
Canon_108Jan 14, 2018
Ruined the Skywalker saga and threw away not only everything that episode vii set up but everything that made star wars special.
smunsFeb 13, 2018
This movie is a flaming atrocity that disregards the legendary films that came before it. Disney has ruined Star Wars and there is nothing we can do because critics still love it.
krivdaMar 18, 2018
I REALLY want to unsee this. My eyes bleed.. They ruined the setting, completely ruined the Lore, and just to hurt me even more - they've replaced it all with ABSURD.
A_GamerDec 25, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I see the media deflecting the criticism of this movie by accusing alt right groups and bots of review spamming the site. I am not a bot and I'm not affilated with any alt right groups. I have been a SW fan my entire life, as many of my fellow fans who were utterly disappointed with the movie. These are all people voicing their opinion, deal with it. Here is mine:

What I liked:
-Mark Hamill and Adam Driver were amazing.
-Many people found that scene ridiculous, but I personally liked Leia using the Force to pull herself back to the ship. It was already established that she was Force sensitive when she sensed Luke in Ep. 5.
-The visuals and sounds were good.
-Yoda's appearance.
-When "TIE Fighter Attack" started playing I actually felt like I was watching a Star Wars movie.

What I disliked:
-The movie opens with a lame "your mom" joke.
-Poe Dameron sacrifices an entire squad of bombers without any regret because he is the embodiment of "toxic masculinity".
-After Leia pulls herself back, Poe opens the door to open space, but the people don't get sucked out by the vacuum (Ep. 3 and TCW got this right).
-Holdo doesn't tell her plan to Poe so he is forced into making a mistake, which is intended to make the audience think that he's dumb. Thing is, Holdo is at fault here for being a bad leader and not communicating with an established star pilot of the Resistance.
-Casino planet was boring and it consisted about Disney (!) saying that capitalism is bad. Rich people=bad, poor people=good.
-The movie structure is very similar to Empire Strikes Back, except the battle of Hoth takes place at the end of the movie.
-The throne room events are very similar to the one in Return of the Jedi.
-Rey, after a couple days of lightsaber training, is able to defeat several of the elite guards. She seems to be just as potent in combat as Kylo Ren, who had been trained as a Jedi/Knight of Ren his entire life. Luke Skywalker in the OT practiced for weeks to be a decent duelist and Force user, while in the Prequels Jedi trained their entire life from a very young age. What I'm saying is: Rey is undeniably a Mary Sue.
-Captain Phasma, heralded by the media as "the first female villain of SW" (she isn't, Asajj Ventress exists), gets 3 minutes of screen time, getting beaten by Finn. She seems like a running gag from a cartoon at this point.
-During the Battle of Crait, Rose stops Finn from saving the Resistance, and then drops the most cringeworthy line of the Star Wars franchise.
-Finn and Rose crash land in front of the AT-M6 line, kilometers away from the Resistance base. A few minutes later we see Finn dragging an unconscious Rose back to the base on foot. The First Order showed them mercy and didn't shoot them on the way back, or maybe they missed because Finn was walking so fast.
-I personally felt like Rian Johnson's biggest goal with this movie was to bamboozle fans with his pretentious plot twists. It felt a little forced to me because there were just too many.
-My biggest issue: The reason I wanted to watch this film was to see what happened to Luke. I felt like his character was mistreated and underused by Rian Johnson just to make way for Rey. Luke in this movie was a grumpy, scared and reluctant old man who had very minimal impact on the story. I wanted to see him get some love, maybe a bit of fan service like the one scene we got with Vader at the end of RO. Instead he shows up at the end of the movie as a distraction, sacrificing himself for the Resistance. But it turns out it wasn't him, he was just showing us a new kickass force power, great! He doesn't need to die! Maybe JJ Abrams can give him some justice in Ep. 9... Aaaaand he dies from exhaustion... Are you serious? RJ did a 180 with his character and then killed him off because people would be more interested in Luke than in Mary Sue. Luke Skywalker had to actually learn how to use the Force and to fight with a lightsaber. We saw his journey from a whiny farm boy to a wise Jedi Knight. What journey did Rey have? Expert pilot, Force user (who can lift a hundred rocks without any proper training) and lightsaber duelist from the beginning. Not Mary Sue btw.
-Then at the end of the film we see a child effortlessy using telekinesis to grab a broom. In the OT and prequels, characters needed training in the Force to be able to use these powers. Apparently in the sequels anybody who is Force sensitive can casually use telekinesis, mind tricks etc. This is another way Rian Johnson disregarded the previous lore.

This movie left me utterly uninterested in Episode 9, because I don't care about the new characters. They are boring, one-dimensional and didn't have a proper progression like Han or Luke.
This movie felt like a mockery of Star Wars mixed with political messages. I personally don't like watching my favourite franchise being used as a tool to push an agenda. This, paired with the poor plot and utter disrespect for Lucas' Saga is worth 0p
sororsorotDec 25, 2017
Conspiracy theory at the full swing. Metacritic and rotten tomato have abysmal user score but IMDB has it at 7.6 . Most of the positive review is a generic review ( Brillant , best, Masterpiece) . It seems to me that BOT is doing it. My guessConspiracy theory at the full swing. Metacritic and rotten tomato have abysmal user score but IMDB has it at 7.6 . Most of the positive review is a generic review ( Brillant , best, Masterpiece) . It seems to me that BOT is doing it. My guess is that after Disneys got the first view of the theatrical release. They flex all the muscle that they can to buy out the critics and super reviewer. This movie can not be failed period. Expand
ZarovichxDec 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TLJ was a retelling of ESB and RotJ, how are you defending this movie. Some of the acts are straight copies of these movies, Crait = Hoth and Snoke Throne room exact copy of Emperor even some of the dialog straight copy. Vader killed the Emperor, and vader wannabe Kylo kills Snoke. Are you seeing the trolling yet. The main act of ESB is about the falcon not being able to go light speed to get away from the Empire's fleet, TLJ main act is about the good guys not able to get away from the Empire by going light speed. This movie also had Dagobah with yoda and the jedi leaving while not being fully trained in the force just like Luke in ESB.
TLJ even has Bespin in it. Remember ESB has the heroes trying to find the help of a shady/scoundrel character who may or may not help them and ends up betraying them to the Empire. DJ = Lando.
The audience needs to take your Star Wars beer googles off and realize TLJ is a straight copy of ESB and RotJ with Act 1 Hoth being moved to Act 5. They even go as far to troll the fan boys by "It's Salt" to point out its not snow and it's your fan boy tears at the end of this parody.

It was nothing more then a SWJ propaganda movie. Every male in this movie was made to look like an idiot and needed a strong women character to tell them what to do. This movie contradicts itself "you must kill the past" nonsense. If you must kill the past then why is everything about this movie a straight copy of the OT? Both stories so far are copies, the ships are copies, it has vader/anakin = Kylo Ren, it has emperor = Snoke, it has Luke = Rey, both from a desert planet and come from nothing.

The hardcore SW fans need to realize Rian and Kathleen trolled you and made the first 3 movies pointless. The 1000 year prophecy of bringing balance to the force last maybe 30 years and The Empire vs Rebel face-off was meaningless and only to repeat itself 30 years later with a direct retelling.
markdarden13Dec 24, 2017
The last star wars movie I'll see in theaters. Awful male characters, they changed how the force works, Luke felt unfamiliar as a character, and it seemed like they wanted to duplicate the feel of Battlestar Galatica by having a small band ofThe last star wars movie I'll see in theaters. Awful male characters, they changed how the force works, Luke felt unfamiliar as a character, and it seemed like they wanted to duplicate the feel of Battlestar Galatica by having a small band of military running from a larger, inescapable force, while slowly running out of resources. First film I've left angry. Expand
c8mDec 20, 2017
Movie reviewers are becoming completely out of touch with audiences. Last Jedi feels like when the MTV Movie Awards used to parody scenes from popular movies. General Hux getting a crank call on the bridge, Luke throwing away the light saberMovie reviewers are becoming completely out of touch with audiences. Last Jedi feels like when the MTV Movie Awards used to parody scenes from popular movies. General Hux getting a crank call on the bridge, Luke throwing away the light saber like trash, then going to milk a sea creature's nipple, Leia flying through space and making fun of her hair style. This isn't supposed to be a throwaway Marvel movie with lots of cheap laughs. Doing so undermines the evil of the villains and makes light of the seriousness of the themes of the movie. The characterizations of Luke and Leia feel false. After watching 5 of her planets blown up, finding out the First Order corrupted her son to kill his father and watching her friends including Ackbar blown into space, the Leia of the original trilogy would be lightspeed ramming Snoke's ship herself not sending a subordinate to do it. Luke would never attempt to kill his sister's son while he was sleeping, run away to an island to die alone, ignore his sister's call to join the fight, and then refuse to show up in person to protect her like a damn coward. Whomever wrote this movie didn't understand the characters and didn't care about disgracing them in their last scenes.

The movie lacks any continuity from the Force Awakens even though they take place moments apart. Why was a map left to find Luke, why is the Resistance completely wiped out, why didn't Hux return to Snoke, how is Finn and his jacket okay when he just had his spine sliced by Kylo Ren? Plot ideas and interesting characters that Force Awakens created are abandoned with total disinterest (Snoke, Knights of Ren, Phasma). The 3 new hero characters are robbed of major hero moments and are isolated the whole movie. The movie wastes our time with 2 secondary plots that accomplish nothing other than a very cool explosion and a long prequel-esque escapade to a Casino planet. A good story teller would've at least had Leia pilot that ship into Snoke like a mofo and time it so the explosion stuns Snoke, saves Rey, giving Kylo the opportunity to kill Snoke. The way they wrote this movie both the good and bad guys looked weak and stupid when both should be impressive. Finn and Rey's competence in combat against much more experienced fighters remains an ongoing mystery that might just be a result of awful storytelling.

The movie is not original either. The entire Rey story is stolen from ESB. She travels alone to a distant plant to meet a strange reclusive Jedi Master for training, while there she discovers an ominous cave that will hint the truth about who she is before disobeying the Jedi Master and confronting an enemy that reveals who her parents are (Dagobah = Ach-To). That is the main plot of ESB beat for beat. Meanwhile the rebels bunkered-in fight AT-AT's on a salt/snow planet that they must retreat for their lives (Crait=Hoth). While visiting a corrupt wealthy planet the good guys meet a shady character they ask for help but he betrays them (Canto Bight=Cloud City). Do not tell me Last Jedi is any more original than Force Awakens.
StacyYoungDec 30, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe the story was written too quickly for the sake of making quick money cause that's the only thing that makes sense. The movie felt shallow and incoherent and seemed to rely to much on special effects and stuff blowing up, than having a meaningful experience. About half way through I felt like it should be wrapping up soon but was repeatedly quickly disappointed that the action would pick up again and I would have to endure another long round of nothing really making much sense and too many explosions... what was the main plot? The characters were extremely annoying and shallow. If you insist on making more Star Wars movies, please do something better than this pile of vomit. What a disgrace. Expand
LiquidEagleDec 24, 2017
Shockingly bad. Best could be said is that the screenplay was written to promote the sell of cheap Disney after-market merchandise. The movie itself isn't even worth reviewing. It unceremoniously ends the franchise.
Sv4roGDec 24, 2017
Can we please stop posting Critics reviews? They are either on drugs, well payed for their "opinions" or are simply incompetent. I don't know one person that would honestly say they liked this movie. Yes acting was fine but everything elseCan we please stop posting Critics reviews? They are either on drugs, well payed for their "opinions" or are simply incompetent. I don't know one person that would honestly say they liked this movie. Yes acting was fine but everything else (script, character arcs, story progression) did not make much sense neither to SW fans nor to casual viewers. TLJ in my opinion is a worst movie that episodes 1-3. Expand
GREEK-GODJan 5, 2018
This movie failed to answer so many questions... It did not live up to the hype, and all it did was leave the fans disappointed.
rasmathMar 20, 2018
It was a horrible film, so many missed opportunities to expand the Star Wars Universe lost forever. It had a terrible plot, childish characters and a "Mary Sue" protagonist - And don't even tell me she is not one, because years on the desertIt was a horrible film, so many missed opportunities to expand the Star Wars Universe lost forever. It had a terrible plot, childish characters and a "Mary Sue" protagonist - And don't even tell me she is not one, because years on the desert would make her only good at fighting and extremely greed. I hope that this 3rd trilogy or at least from this second movie on, to suffer a reboot. And I can say that I will not be getting to the theaters to watch episode IX nor anything else until things significantly changes at disney. Hey disney! do not spend your precious money on episode IX, reboot episode VIII ! Expand
M1xGarandDec 18, 2017
I think the theme of this movie is "Kill the Past" which I think it did effectively. At first I thought it was okay but if I'm being honest this is just a bad movie. It will never be what I want it to be--which is fine. It is fine if DisneyI think the theme of this movie is "Kill the Past" which I think it did effectively. At first I thought it was okay but if I'm being honest this is just a bad movie. It will never be what I want it to be--which is fine. It is fine if Disney wants to take the franchise in this direction but I will step out the side door. Good luck. Expand
OttoPaulsonDec 24, 2017
So many gaping plot holes! Terribly written. I had no specific expectations other than it would be great. I was so disappointed! Boring subplots, disposable characters, desecrated 40 years of Star Wars history. Just sad what Rian Johnson wasSo many gaping plot holes! Terribly written. I had no specific expectations other than it would be great. I was so disappointed! Boring subplots, disposable characters, desecrated 40 years of Star Wars history. Just sad what Rian Johnson was allowed to do here. The Force Awakens set up such great mysteries, but they all just fall flat. Rian Johnson has ruined Star Wars. Expand
rajeevramboDec 26, 2017
THE LEAST JEDI. What an unbelievable sham of a movie camouflaged by gorgeous art direction. I'll give this movie a single start for just existing and the extra one only for how beautifully rendered it is. And that's about all that's rightTHE LEAST JEDI. What an unbelievable sham of a movie camouflaged by gorgeous art direction. I'll give this movie a single start for just existing and the extra one only for how beautifully rendered it is. And that's about all that's right with this one. The Force Awakens rode on the hate for the prequels and an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and got by just rehashing the best parts of the erstwhile first 3 movies. What exactly is Rian Johnson's explanation or motivation to turn a decades-old mythology into his personal playground and how pray did Disney go ahead with this? Characters mouth incredulous dialogue (some of it captioning action on the screen), others throw hissy fits, some others decide to sacrifice themselves at the altar of temporary relief to their armies only to be thwarted by others with secret crushes on them. Backstories and plots drawn up in Force Awakens are decimated into smithereens like Alderaan. Mark Hamill, bless his hamming soul, is a classic 80s actor - unsubtle, upstages co-performers and clearly guns for longer screen time by slowing down dialogue delivery and throwing in a dozen or so pauses, glares and grimaces. His directors in the original trilogy probably recognised this and so gave him tight, sharp scenes to work with. Rian Johnson succumbs to the fanboy-as-director syndrome and lets Mark do his thing hoping that nostalgia will lull us all into not expecting a performance worthy of a 2017 film. Oscar Isaacs makes up for poor writing by being the film's only hormonal teenager stuck in an adult's body. Daisy Ridley starts and ends the film confused. Adam Driver should consider taking Kylo Ren off caffeine. Carrie Fisher reveals a superpower at the most inopportune moment. At which point, I thought Guardians of The Galaxy might make an appearance. Because by then, we'd already been subjected to some dialogue clearly inflicted by JossWheddonitis. If you're going to be honest then call this Star Wars Rebooted or something so true followers like me can make a choice and stay way. This is just dishonest, play-to-the-gallery filmmaking backed by a machinery that knows a billion bucks is out there to be made But here's the truth. Episode 9 is going to struggle at the box office, now that the trust and love for this saga has all but been put to waste. Expand
PumpkinsDec 21, 2017
This film has A LOT of plot holes and destroys the whole lore. All stuff I cared about is gone and everything left now I dont give a sh*t about. IM SAD! They killed this franchise, Star Wars had soooo much potential and they decided to do this crap.
MojitoJan 3, 2018
As a lifelong fan of the franchise, including The Force Awakens, this is simply an agonizing review to write. It's tempting to pour out my thoughts in bullet points. To angrily outline the list of the this film's failures. And it has soAs a lifelong fan of the franchise, including The Force Awakens, this is simply an agonizing review to write. It's tempting to pour out my thoughts in bullet points. To angrily outline the list of the this film's failures. And it has so very many. But I will refrain. The movie catastrophically falls short on every level, in every facet. Yet I'll attempt to focus on why I feel this way, without cataloging and critiquing particular scenes and decisions.

Character development is nearly non-existent. Daisy Ridley's very-likeable Rey neither grows, learns, or changes in this film. The few conflicts or challenges she faces are fleeting. As with the previous film, the Force "awakens" in her, with little effort on her part, or any explanation. She's static. Her most profound and interesting scenes were her interaction with Adam Driver's character, Kylo Ren. There's a hint at just how intriguing and imaginative the plot *could* have taken with those two. I was briefly on the edge of my seat. Only to have a boring, predictable "Good vs. Evil" outcome. Wasted opportunity.

Jon Boyega's character goes nowhere, in an almost literal sense. He has an almost-meaningful scene near the end of the film. Almost. But he doesn't. He literally could have remained in his bacta healing-tank the whole film, and it would have made zero difference.

When there is character development, it's awful. Poe Dameron, our favorite hotshot fighter pilot from The Force Awakens? He quickly became my least favorite character. Oscar Isaac's acting was great. You'll just question why he was instructed to act that way.

Minus a scene or two, don't expect anything new from Leia, and you won't be disappointed. That's ditto for Supreme Leader Snoke, General Hux, R2-D2, Chewie, Threepio, The First Order, and so on. The movie simply doesn't have a lot of new information to share, least of all revelations.

Mark Hamill and Adam Driver did the best job they could, given the poor script, material, concepts, and erratic timing of the film. They did excellent, considering with the pittance they had to work with.

Oh yeah, there's an actress playing a mechanic. Seriously, I literally almost hit the "Submit" button for this review, before I remembered her, and added this sentence. That's how important this new character was.

The most frustrating fact about this film is that a lot *happens*. But not a lot *matters*. Certainly there is no shortage of action, scenes, adventure, parallel plots, characters running around doing things, saying things. Yet roughly 2.5 hours later, when it's all concluded, the movie has gone...? Nowhere. Everything is essentially right back where it started. You've got some powerful, evil First Order. And you've got some underdog Resistance. They still don't like each other.

Sure, there were some casualties along the way. But really...they don't matter. Their loss doesn't change anything, for better or worse. Our heroes and villains simply haven't accomplished very much, or learned anything, or made any revelations. "Hope you enjoyed another movie in the Star Wars universe!", they seem to shout. "We'll give you more of the same in Star Wars 9!". And given this movie's ending, the next film could literally be about *anything*. The Last Jedi leaves you wondering "Is there genuinely anything left to show or talk about?" It contains it's own built-in "reset button". By the conclusion of your time in the theater, you mentally and emotionally won't care anymore.

And that's the *worst* part of this film for me. It made me not care about Star Wars anymore. It's infuriating. I'm left with no desire, curiosity, motivation, or incentive to watch another movie. Who cares? To my shock and dismay...not me. I don't care what happens next. Even the prequels kept me coming back for more. This time, there's no new hope.

This ends my review, but wait! Some important news is coming in...

Last Jedi Public Service Announcement: Cute animals are important and should not be harmed! Don't worry if you miss the message. It's repeated using at least 3 new adorable species. At least they don't annihilate stormtroopers with rocks and spears, Ewok-style...

Did you like the subtle comedy from The Force Awakens? Me too! Prepare (once again), for too much of a good thing. It's not as bad as Jar Jar Binks, thankfully. But it's obviously out of place, and you'll feel it instantly.

The Last Jedi: Morality and Ethics Review!

1) Is it important to obey orders and follow leadership, or follow your heart and to hell with the rules? Prepare to be wrong, regardless of your answer.

2) Is a noble sacrifice, for the greater good, a correct and justifiable decision? Prepare to be wrong and confused, regardless of your answer.

3) Is a preemptive strike morally okay, when the evil is certain? Prepare for 3 separate, equally plausible, but not-established conclusions!
Daefn_OldinDec 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This latest cinematic installment, and I say installment rather than addition as addition would suggest consideration of and positive effect upon all or any of the preceding material, to one of the most beloved stories in the world has, with all its promotion, anticipation and critics reception, achieved the incredible feat of creating something of an "emperors new clothes syndrome" across the world.

Rian Johnson, the tailor of this empty garb, has some how been able to convince Disney and those we trusted to parade and praise the work he has done, whilst the public and many of the eager fans clap happily along and cheer for what an amazing spectacle he has created. Then there are those like myself, akin to the little boy staring at the emperors flaccid member in confusion and shock, whom raise their hands and point out the fact that the entire experience is an embarrassment.

Regardless of poor writing, story structure, bad and misplaced humor, sloppy editing, terrible plot devices, blatant marketing and money making "creative" decisions, zero character development and shoddy or hammed up acting by many, I am not sure why those at Disney responsible for the Star Wars property would chose to stray so much from the core material for these chapters in the saga. At their heart these stories are about the legacy of the Skywalker's, even the original title of episode 4 was "Adventures of Luke Starkiller, As Taken From the Journal of the Whills, Saga 1: The Star Wars". So, in my opinion, The last Jedi and then chapter 10 should have at least concluded that arc properly. With the choice for Luke in this movie and the path of Ben Solo, the legacy of the Skywalker lineage seems to have been cast aside in order the start crafting the next chapter for a new generation. The expansion of the Star Wars universe is something everyone wants, be it the fans or those with financial interests, and the creation of material to introduce people to new characters and worlds is wonderful, but not at the expense of the previous material and hard work done by thousands of people over decades.

With the originals, George Lucas aimed to create something ground-breaking and exciting. He used his knowledge of previous cinema storytelling and strong narrative to fashion a new way to tell the same type of story. He wanted to use the latest techniques to craft something fresh but recounted the same kind of messaging his inspiration told or he himself believed. Even in the prequels, be it you love or hate them, were efforts in the same vein yet, unlike Johnson, George Lucas managed to maintain the heart of the universe he created whilst telling the story he wanted.

What Disney and Johnson have done with the Last Jedi is disappointing, with no respect towards the original material or consideration towards the correct tonality for the genre let alone Star Wars itself, something that for all peoples gripes with TFA, the entire team got right and were respectful of. With TLJ they have seemingly tried to make Star Wars more relevant by changing the tone of the film, through choices of language, acting, character prioritization and constantly hammering the message that the old is to be brushed away and only the now, new and future is worth considering. Such a message might sound like a rallying call towards progress and one which may resonate with the ever increasingly impatient youth of each generation, but is one that also has the frighteningly narrow minded connotation that the past should be forgotten, that the old and more experienced are best not considered, that the mistakes previous generations made are better left behind because they were after all mistakes. Yet in doing so Johnson's message forgets the fact that with experience comes learning's that would die as result. The scene with Yoda in the film momentarily suggests that Johnson may begin to craft a worthwhile message but unfortunately he chooses to be "unexpected" and we are not provided with this important lesson as we see Yoda burn the books he considers useless. We see many of these types of lessons clumsily delivered in the film which many chose to defend as brave and bold choices or justify as holding deeper meaning, yet for all the arguing it can not be denied that they are inherently non Star Wars in both content and delivery.

All in all, there is a great deal more to say on the Last Jedi, be it superficially or in digging deeper and searching for answers, comparisons, metaphors, connotations or messages, but my experience with this film is that it is the only Star Wars film I have not enjoyed watching and that was from the very first scene of poor humor between Poe and Hux, right through Luke's space walrus molestation, past the ill conceived side quest & beyond the character assassination of a childhood cinematic hero. I will not be interested in seeing the final chapter of the Skywalker arc and will take solace in the words of Mark Hamill...its just a movie
SteveZDec 24, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. JJ Abrams provided Disney with a good start to a new trilogy. It set the new trilogy. He set the next director up with what should have been a slam dunk — just execute on the well developed ideas in the Force Awakens. This movie is such utter garbage that it defies explanation. Too many plot holes. Far too much poorly timed comedy. Too much politicizing. And worst of all no real character development.

The way they portrayed Luke was a total disaster and was not believable, given his already strongly developed character. Total waste of time and money. Terrible movie.
zootsuitJan 8, 2018
The worst star wars movie to date. It is clear Rian Johnson doesn't care about the franchise. Strike it from official canon. I cannot stand by this movie.
junoncrossJan 2, 2018
A disappointment in almost every conceivable way. Worse than the prequels. I will be fair though, the slave children. You know, the ones that are still slaves at the end of the movie even though the horse-monsters were freed. They were great.
LokigirlJan 18, 2018
I went back and watched the prequels just to make sure, and yes this is the worst Star Wars movie ever made.
Redhand_JediDec 22, 2017
I am now convinced that Disney will kill Star Wars. The latest movie is absolutely lacking the heart and soul of Star Wars. The plot is so convoluted and several events take place that should make you question numerous events not just in thisI am now convinced that Disney will kill Star Wars. The latest movie is absolutely lacking the heart and soul of Star Wars. The plot is so convoluted and several events take place that should make you question numerous events not just in this movie but also in past movies too. Just massive plot holes. The Last Jedi completely tramples the lore of Star Wars. The mythos, the "facts," the importance of Star Wars and its past. The performances are well done, individual moments and scenes are amazing even, and overall the movie cinematically looks great. However, as a whole package, it does not work because several of the most important components of any good movie are missing. For Last Jedi, it is story, heart, impact to certain character's motivations. I am avoiding spoilers but nearly step by step, scene by scene, anyone could rip this movie apart. Literally, "THAT MAKES NO SENSE!" Consider Vice Admiral Holdo's impact to the movie for a moment, why wasn't this "trick" done over and over again in space combat? Why not against the Death Stars? Why was the trench run even needed then? There are other examples but attempting to avoid spoilers as previously stated.

I greatly fear for the entirety of the Star Wars Saga. At this point, I can definitely say I miss George Lucas.
Phasic77Dec 22, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's the cinematic equivilent of when Coca Cola changed their recipe/formula to 'New Coke...'

This whole sequal trilogy should have started with the events leading up to The Force Awakens. They clearly wanted a new and younger cast to market and a new and younger audience to market to. A mistake. Star Wars hit the sweet spot where everyone can enjoy it. It transcends, it's generational, it's mythic. The Lord of The Rings has the same type of appeal, books and the films. The Hobbit is more of a children's book but still appeal and 'that' trilogy of films is an acknoweldged disaster.

The majority of plot points set up in The Force Awakens are not followed. They nare discarded or are subverted for the sake of being unexpected. The map to Luke Skywalker for example. I doubt Luke was in permanent exile, more like taking time out soul searching and looking for deeper answers? Why have map in the first place? Just in case? No. What's wrong with many of these so called critics? No play, no premiere, no back stage pass etc? I doubt Luke would have even attacked Ben Solo first? "Knowledge and defence, never attack." Character decisions deliberately written in the opposite way to be 'different' and 'unexpected' is ultimately out of character. Sure subvert some story points, writing 101, but with so many aspects altered to fit this new narrative and regardless of what came befor makes little to no sense.

The humour in this film is pure parody, farce, mistimed and mistolaced. "Use the farce." I was expecting, "I can't breathe in this thing." "It's only a flesh wound." It's not Star Wars.

The music is superb by John Williams and stands out compared to The Force Awakens. The film is generally an aesthetically authentic, good looking and well shot film. Millions of dollars on screen but overall the feel is cheap due to story and charactisation.

I preferred the pacing over TFA. To some extent.TFA was action every couple lines of dialogue. "Yeah I knew Luke." Aaannd aaaction. Rathtar scene, oh my god! The film within the film subplot with Finn and Rose on Canto Bright is dreadful. It slows the whole film down and makes it too long.

The Force connection communication Betwen Rey and Kylo Ren is straight out of Twilight. It's not Star Wars. The Leia 'space' moment and she's out for the count for most of the film.

Admiral Ackbar

Captain Phasma

Why did Yoda use the persona (Hmm laugh) he used to test Luke when they first met? That persona was an act.

Luke is Luke at the end but it's too late. Wasted and if what happens to him even needed at all? Now that would be different to keep him around. Gandalf him back.I agree it's not what many Star Wars fans wanted or expected. There are so many things wrong with this film that I cannot give it a pass.

I am not a bot or politically affiliated with anyone or anything. I felt the need to say something. It's not just a film, especially when you grew up with all the toys etc. It's part of the fabric of our story telling culture. I am/was an Original Trilogy kid, 'fanboy,' 'purist,' whatever the pithy noun/adjective/pejorative is this week. Time to be counted.

Equality cannot be achieved at the expense of others.