IFC Films | Release Date: August 21, 2009
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 38 Ratings
Watch Now
joomjim4Jun 18, 2012
A pleasantly heart-warming film expresses Growth, Change, Sacrifice, Forgiveness, and The Road we all have to travel as we get older. Promoting a true sense of the importance of family. A perfect family movie for everyone.
skipSep 7, 2009
First time commenting but had to chime in on this gem of a film. Absolutely beautiful little family drama...completely unforced and authentic relationships and gorgeous filmmaking all around. Can't recommend highly enough!
0 of 0 users found this helpful
nickj.Sep 11, 2009
This is the most affecting and beautiful film of 2009. At the hear of the story is a tale of a family torn apart, and all the opportunities they lost. Beautiful, sad, and haunting cinema.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
MahmusSep 25, 2020
This is my second Hirokazu Koreeda film and, just like with Shoplifters, I love how much he seems to be influenced by the works of Yasujir┼Ź Ozu, particularly in this film.

His use of static shots and pillow shots, the way he frames his

His use of static shots and pillow shots, the way he frames his characters in door frames, hallways and windows, its relaxing atmosphere, its themes of family and the differences between genreations; it all feels very Ozu, but way more personal and intimate. More open to express emotion.

And as with Ozu's films, even if you're not entirely paying attention to the story, it's still an absolutelt beautiful film to look at and listen to.

What beautiful movie. I can't wait to see more from Koreeda.
PhilzamoranoJul 26, 2020
It's good. I'd recommend it. It made me feel part of the characters in the film, I could feel that I was sitting with them eating