Samuel Goldwyn Films | Release Date: April 6, 2018
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 18 Ratings
Watch Now
dammanJul 10, 2018
Great movie people just done want admit that life is not great for the original people of this God for saken land. Great movie and well acted. Must see.
mechamartiniJul 25, 2018
There is something about this film thats speaks volumes and in such manner thats effortless. In this film its just direction and the performances that stood out so supreme , I am at awe. Especially the character of Sam kelly. The dark humor ,There is something about this film thats speaks volumes and in such manner thats effortless. In this film its just direction and the performances that stood out so supreme , I am at awe. Especially the character of Sam kelly. The dark humor , the gore , the violence and then the bittersweet victory , jeez thats what I call a cinema folks. Hopefully I see more ventures like this . Raw and visceral. Expand
BeastJ18Apr 25, 2018
When I saw this film at the Rotterdam Film Festival, it was the movie that stuck with me for a few days. The story and characters are wonderfully written and distressing. It did what it intended to do, giving us a natural and gruellingWhen I saw this film at the Rotterdam Film Festival, it was the movie that stuck with me for a few days. The story and characters are wonderfully written and distressing. It did what it intended to do, giving us a natural and gruelling insight into what this time and landscape was like for those without privilege. Expand
BrianMcCriticSep 1, 2018
A western film that creates a vision of the outback with a brutal sense of justice. The performances are all strong and from moment one the world that is built keeps you invested. Overall a middle 7 a B+.
ahmedaiman9999Aug 6, 2018
The movie has a familiar story and simple dialogue, and this is not a problem by any means, yet it's technically impressive. Sweet Country is a visually stunning film. The cinematography in this movie is similar to Mudbound's, but it's evenThe movie has a familiar story and simple dialogue, and this is not a problem by any means, yet it's technically impressive. Sweet Country is a visually stunning film. The cinematography in this movie is similar to Mudbound's, but it's even more beautiful! Actually, it has the best cinematography of the year, so far! And while the movie looks poetic, the same goes for the storytelling. It reminded me of Days of Heaven. As a matter of fact, you may feel if you're watching a Terrence Malick film, except it's more fast-paced. The similarity between Sweet Country and Malick's movies don't stop there. As Warwick Thornton used symbolism in Sweet Country in a way that resembles Malick's use of symbolism. By that I mean the use of allegories and symbols in a beautiful way that feels literary or poetic. Unfortunately, the use of symbols in Sweet Country often feels superfluous, and completely unnecessary. Sweet Country is masterly edited, and I think that what makes it very watchable, and often enjoyable despite its poetic style that may indispose some people.

Thornton used intercut flash-forwards and flashbacks heavily. And while sometimes they help us understanding some events that happened, or will happen, therefore build tension, they often seem like nothing but artistic frippery, specially when they are used to make the movie seem if it has a non-linear storytelling. Sweet Country also should be praised for its non-sentimental approach to its message. Unlike other movies that tackle the same subject matter, Sweet Country doesn't dramatize any aspect of its story. The movie even doesn't have a soundtrack, and that makes it feel more realistic. The movie relies on its bleak and dreary atmosphere to imply its subject matter and moral instead of presenting them in the usual manner. All the performances are good. Hamilton Morris' performance is impressive because it feels genuine. Sam Neill is also very good even if his character, Fred Smith, is underdeveloped. Fred Smith is a very important character and should have been more developed, but unfortunately, it's a very flat character.

In general, the movie has some issues in terms of its characters. The movie has too many characters for its own good. And the movie tries to give almost every character its fair share of importance. In the end, Sweet Country a movie of visuals first and foremost, it could hardly be more visually impressive. But, to be honest, it's a very pretentious work. (7/10)
TomasMannAug 15, 2018
Okay, this movie is an absolute masterpiece of Australian cinema. The way it tells the story is nothing short of amazing. Definitely will see it again using boxxy software.