Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: August 22, 2003
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 65 Ratings
Watch Now
LyleH.May 16, 2010
Movie with a plot and decent acting.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
andsoitgoesMar 31, 2013
Poor, silly RogerW. This is not the Robin Hood directed by Ridley Scott, this is the classic and stellar Robin Hood directed by Curtiz. Sometimes I truly wonder if anything this generation is a significant contribution to cinema, or if t hePoor, silly RogerW. This is not the Robin Hood directed by Ridley Scott, this is the classic and stellar Robin Hood directed by Curtiz. Sometimes I truly wonder if anything this generation is a significant contribution to cinema, or if t he vast majority of films are mass produced piles of crap. Classic films like this might not be as whiz bang as the current releases, but it seems the the budget and focus could go into the actors and the scripts. Expand
lasttimeisawMar 30, 2014
The knee-jerking reaction of watching this Technicolor swashbuckler is holy cow how is it possible this picture was made in 1938? Its brightly rich palette, advanced back projection technology, meticulously tailored garments and detailed miseThe knee-jerking reaction of watching this Technicolor swashbuckler is holy cow how is it possible this picture was made in 1938? Its brightly rich palette, advanced back projection technology, meticulously tailored garments and detailed mise en scène, must be cutting-edge and it did cost a great amount of fortune to make it happen, the most expensive film for WARNER BROS. at its time, but the reward was also colossal.

read the rest of my review at my blog, google "cinema omnivore".
MovieGuysMar 19, 2014
The Adventures of Robin Hood is a classic movie, with simple-yet-true values and its charming performances. Errol Flynn is the perfect Robin Hood, and the movie is the perfect treat for movie watchers.
KristianBKAug 13, 2014
From the director that brought us Casablanca, comes this classic that has aged, but is still so well executed that it still deserves a place on the list of "Best movies ever made".
marcmyworksMar 30, 2020
Errol Flynn is the quintessential Robin Hood in my eyes. He's dashing, handsome and charming. The movie itself is a Hollywood classic that really is fun and rambunctious.
EpicLadySpongeApr 3, 2016
The Adventures of Robin Hood is adventurous as it can get and its re-release was great and still adventurous as of this day and everyone can be adventurous as Robin Hood by watching this movie.
CalibMcBoltsMay 30, 2016
1938's ''The Adventures of Robin Hood'' is after almost 80 years of possible improvement, still the very best Robin Hood film, in fact it is one of the greatest films of all time.
Is the acting campy? Yes, most certainly but so is the acting
Is the acting campy? Yes, most certainly but so is the acting in King Kong (1933) and The Wizard of Oz (1939) and those 2 are also considered some of the greatest movies of all time. The campy acting is in my eyes certainly not a flaw, i think the campy acting we had in old movies is only a good thing, it reminds us of how innocent and unexperienced Hollywood was back in the day, and i think that's a beautiful thing that should be treasured.
Aside from the hammy acting, i personally think it's a flawless film, the script is perfect, simple, exciting and emotional, the art direction is top notch, so are the costumes, and music is supportive and beautiful, the stunts and choreography is spot on, the set pieces are enthralling, so are the fun characters, and the pacing is fast to keep the movie going. (especially for a movie that's almost 80 years old, this is one of the most modern, old movies i've ever seen)
The innocence of The Adventures of Robin Hood is delightful, this really is a timeless movie for all ages, kids of today could easily enjoy a movie like this too, and not fall asleep. The Adventures of Robin Hood is such a fresh, fast-paced exciting film, it really is something special.

Say what you want about The Adventures of Robin Hood and how campy it may be. In my eyes it's one of the best movies of all time.