Neon | Release Date: March 29, 2019
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 66 Ratings
Watch Now
Arnold_ZiffelJun 20, 2019
Vapid, decadent, and only marginally funny. An alcoholic's fantasy, with no downside or consequences.
The3AcademySinsMar 23, 2020
This is hands down one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I couldn't even finish it. Harmony Korine's vanity project has no script. The Beach Bum is meandering, pointless, filled with bad performances, and seems to have been made only toThis is hands down one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I couldn't even finish it. Harmony Korine's vanity project has no script. The Beach Bum is meandering, pointless, filled with bad performances, and seems to have been made only to give the cast and crew an excuse to go on vacation in the Florida Keys and get high. I found this film to be painful to watch, and a huge, worthless waste of time. It's not even entertaining accidentally. Expand
B52nukerAug 6, 2019
The emperors have no clothes, people - neither Harmony nor M.M. This film is a slackers' wet dream, as a total jerk - the kind of drunk at a party who thinks everything is funny, especially his own bon mots - finds fame and fortune, all theThe emperors have no clothes, people - neither Harmony nor M.M. This film is a slackers' wet dream, as a total jerk - the kind of drunk at a party who thinks everything is funny, especially his own bon mots - finds fame and fortune, all the while displaying a stunning lack of talent getting there (the "poetry" is unrecognizable as such). The (predictable) cherry on top is his self-righteous, or should I say self-conscious spurning of it all, should we somehow come to the conclusion his mad shambles has been a "sellout". If you must watch this, I suggest you pair it with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to rinse the nasty taste from your mouth and to see how tone can make ALL the difference. This one's a collosal dud. Expand
GrantD243Oct 8, 2019
I'm convinced that this film was made purely so Matthew McConaughey and his fellow cast members could smoke weed and drink alcohol the entire time while getting paid. There is no point to this film. It's not entertaining, it's not funny, andI'm convinced that this film was made purely so Matthew McConaughey and his fellow cast members could smoke weed and drink alcohol the entire time while getting paid. There is no point to this film. It's not entertaining, it's not funny, and the story is incredibly hollow. Expand
TheMovieDuderAug 23, 2019
This movie is prentious garbage. No plot, overly reliant on music and bad edits. There are some pretty shots, but this is a movie not a music video. Very boring, would not recommend.
Parzival-ZeeJun 18, 2020
I watched 15 min in.....that’s all I needed to see to know it wasn’t worth it.
MNBAMar 31, 2019
Do yourselves a favor, skip this movie and go get the book “Mile Marker Zero : The Moveable Feast of Key West” by William McKeen, and read that instead.

Huge Buffett fan, love McConaughey, Snoop, Fisher, Efron, all good. Love Key West / Caribbean vibe/culture, benders, good times, all that. All that goodness was wasted on this movie. Ideas that pretend to be founded on some Hunter S. Thompson building block of substance that we never actually see, and then funneled into scenes of what 8th graders might think is cool, is more or less what’s going on here. McConaughey played the Moondog role to perfection, unfortunately the whole project was such entitled teenager attitude idealism that I was embarrassed for the entire cast by midway thru. I guess I didn’t realize that the writer/director was a corny 15-yr-old that recently discovered weed and is currently throwing a tantrum cuz his pampering mother is reluctant to take him to get that giant pot leaf tattoo on his back that he really really wants.

McConaughey made a few spots feel like there might be something, and the character could have been interesting under better circumstances, but then “Hey man” reckless stupidity won out.

I felt bored and strung out by the end. And despite the last ditch effort at some philosophical take away, the real Moondog is sh**ting on himself in a tent in LA, and nobody's cheering him on.

And the token square punching bag, why bother??

Some nice scenery though.
ProteusApr 3, 2019
I enjoyed my last trip to the grocery store more than this movie. Moondog seems to be having less fun that a normal person going about a normal day. He gets high, drunk, dances with the nearest girl, spews poetry, and staggers around. For 95I enjoyed my last trip to the grocery store more than this movie. Moondog seems to be having less fun that a normal person going about a normal day. He gets high, drunk, dances with the nearest girl, spews poetry, and staggers around. For 95 minutes. THAT is it folks. Nothing to see here. Expand