GKIDS | Release Date: November 17, 2017
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 47 Ratings
Watch Now
annbdApr 15, 2018
Sometimes, we are so absorbed by our own personal problems, located in the simple everyday life. Most today's man's concerns relate to less important and life-threatening things. Then we need films, that act in a stimulating way, make usSometimes, we are so absorbed by our own personal problems, located in the simple everyday life. Most today's man's concerns relate to less important and life-threatening things. Then we need films, that act in a stimulating way, make us holding our hands up and make us think in a more sober way, seeing thing in other level of perception .

Honestly said, this animation is not for children with it's brutality, but definitely for mature people, who need this enriching knowledge of the contemporary world, simply because this is real life for some people and knowing it, will help others to realize many things.
JLuis_001Feb 21, 2018
If there's a lesson this film has taught me beyond its excellent yet harsh and rough theme, is that sometimes such good stories regardless of the medium in which they are told will be lost to popular consumerism.

The Breadwinner is a more

The Breadwinner is a more complete, more focused and much more emotional film than the one who will stole all the attention in the category of animated films in the Oscars this year, I'm talking about Coco.
And I don't care about the prize, the prize is merely symbolic, what this film needs, is more attention because its undeniable quality deserves it.

Obviously this is not a film aimed to children and yet they can watch it and I'm aware its narrative isn't so fluid but it's a great movie and I'll gladly recommend it to anyone.
Iky009Jan 4, 2019
Wilken Vieira
25 de julho de 2018 · " Um filme inegavelmente poderoso, um conto poético encravado no início dos conflitos turbulentos do Afeganistão. "
Wilken Vieira

Não me arrisco dizer que longe me lembrou um pouco, uma obra-prima que li à alguns anos atrás, sua semelhança, mesmo pequena me despertou uma curiosidade, porém THE BREADWINNER é bem mais leve e menos brutal que, mas se engana quem ache que é apenas um filme morno, muito pelo contrário, aqui sua grandeza impactante não se mede com pura violência, mas
DavidWasHereMar 10, 2018
I always love Cartoon Saloon when it comes to their movies. While they only have (to date) three animated films, the Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, and now the Breadwinner, they are one of the best animated studios making beautifulI always love Cartoon Saloon when it comes to their movies. While they only have (to date) three animated films, the Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, and now the Breadwinner, they are one of the best animated studios making beautiful animation with unique character design, interesting and stimulating visual layouts of backgrounds and worlds, and constantly changing from styles and storytelling. For this film, the Breadwinner is the company's most political and arguably personal film. While the story is fictitious, as the original author interviewed refugees from Afghanistan to depict Taliban-era life, specifically for women who live during this patriarchal period, it will definitely resonate with anyone, largely female, who have been either oppressed or doubted. But really anyone can get behind the film's central character and family through hardship, happiness, triumphs, and sadness, and getting a perspective on another life! Expand
alejandro970Jun 17, 2018
One of best examples of traditional animation, mixing elements of afghan mythology and a deep, cutting reflexion of a nation where preveals intolerance against women. A best example there`s does exists life beyond Disney.
IndieCritApr 22, 2018
A negative score for this movie? They are a monster. I probably thought it was better than what others thought, but here I go. It's a beautiful tale of a girl who cuts her hair and pretends to be a boy to provide for her family inA negative score for this movie? They are a monster. I probably thought it was better than what others thought, but here I go. It's a beautiful tale of a girl who cuts her hair and pretends to be a boy to provide for her family in Afghanistan, as Taliban (a sexist terrorist group) threatens them. As the country is on the brink of war, they must flee, but Parvana must look for her father. Then there is also a fairy tale (will not spoil it) with beautiful animation. I have not seen "The Secret of Kells" but I want to. I recommend, but it can get very dark at some times. Expand
Grueny7Mar 6, 2018
The Breadwinner excels at narrative storytelling by mixing a fabled subplot with a darker and more depressing main plot. These differences are accented by the change in animation and unique visuals. Cartoon Saloon's third feature leaves theThe Breadwinner excels at narrative storytelling by mixing a fabled subplot with a darker and more depressing main plot. These differences are accented by the change in animation and unique visuals. Cartoon Saloon's third feature leaves the joyous Irish mythology from The Secret of Kells, and Song of the Sea but keeps the heart and soul needed for this all too important look into Afghani history and culture. Expand
BrunoVn00Mar 31, 2019
The Breadwinner is a good movie with a subject matter not commonly found in animated movies nowadays about an Afghanan girl forced to dress like a boy in order to rescue her father who was arrested in an unfair manner. This is obviously notThe Breadwinner is a good movie with a subject matter not commonly found in animated movies nowadays about an Afghanan girl forced to dress like a boy in order to rescue her father who was arrested in an unfair manner. This is obviously not aimed towards children and that's a good thing because they can have some dark moments without thinking that "it would be innappropriate for children".

The Good:
-The animation looks nice. This movie shows that 2D animation still has potential even in a CGI era of animation.
-The dark subject matter this movie is about.
-The dialogue was good for the most part.

The Bad:
-Maybe the fact that it gets a little repetitive during the second act and the ending is pretty predictable. Obviously it's still satisfying but after reading the premise before watching it I pretty much predicted the ending, and I was right.
-I think some characters are underused. By that I mean that they could be a lot better developed if only they had more screen time and things to do.
-The character design looked a little lighthearted for the tone this movie had, but I understand that's the art style from Cartoon Saloon.

These are just little nitpicks I have and doesn't ruin the experience nor it changes my mind on this movie. It's not a terrible movie, it's not a bad movie, it's not an average movie and it's not a masterpiece either, it's a good movie that I actually enjoyed and I recommend it.