Lionsgate | Release Date: January 12, 2018
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 158 Ratings
Watch Now
JLuis_001Jan 22, 2018
I've seen Liam Neeson playing this character several times before. I think I'm done.
bpletch05Jan 24, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For what it is, another Liam Neeson action movie, The Commuter is pretty good. The first two acts are entertaining to watch. The whole twist at the end with his old partner trying to set him up, I personally did not see coming but I think that whole third act could have been done better. There are definitely some cheesy moments that come along with action movies like this, such as the train worker's line about either the train or the people killing him. The "I'm Prynne, no I'm Prynne!" scene was cringey and bad, and the train worker trying to provide comic relief could have been cut from the movie but all in all it was a fun movie to watch Expand
MrMovieBuffJan 28, 2018
Another disposable action thriller where Liam Neeson plays an everyday man whose told that his family is in danger, and that he must carry out a dangerous task that he reluctantly agrees to only to ensure the safety of his family. In 'TheAnother disposable action thriller where Liam Neeson plays an everyday man whose told that his family is in danger, and that he must carry out a dangerous task that he reluctantly agrees to only to ensure the safety of his family. In 'The Commuter', he plays Michael MacCauley, an insurance salesman who pretty much is being let go from his company. Feeling discouraged by what has happened, he takes his usual trip on the same train to a long journey, until he meets a woman who claims that she is an expert on body-language and overall human behavior, and she tells him some secrets about what's on the train, and what he's going to do. This leads to Michael receiving a phone-call, and he is told to carry out some dangerous tasks, or his family get killed (what a surprise!). The film ponders along trying to reveal a secret about one of the passenger's identities, and how integral they are to the plot. Most of the characters we come across are intentionally one-dimensional, yes, but everything the plot builds up to is basically trying to surpass expectations and predictability. Neeson does a good job here, as well as the supporting cast. But, the odd direction and uncomfortable editing style make this film a very difficult experience. There is a moment where Neeson's character is just sat opposite his employer at his desk, and, for some reason, we get unnecessary and extreme close-up shots of Neeson's face, even though the conversation they were having did not require such an editing skill. They didn't even start talking about his future at the company, and even then, it wouldn't require such intense camera shots. 'The Commuter' is mainly forgettable and typically formulaic. If you enjoy this kind of film, by all means, see it. Neeson hasn't lost it as an "Expendables"-style action man, but all of these films could not be more uninspired if they tried. At least, try to tell a good story, with believable characters. Expand
moviesoulJan 15, 2018
I like Liam Neeson movies, but this one was a little too far-fetched and very confusing to follow. The pieces come together in the end but it's still a stretch. The cinematography is great - you really feel like you're on the train and theI like Liam Neeson movies, but this one was a little too far-fetched and very confusing to follow. The pieces come together in the end but it's still a stretch. The cinematography is great - you really feel like you're on the train and the background is authentic, but not even Neeson can pull this one out. Expand
Rebecca31Jan 21, 2018
Liam Neeson is no stranger to these generic popcorn flicks, in fact that's pretty much all he can do now and at his age that's more than surprising. Every now and again you'll get a dud, and well The Commuter is a giant dud. Settle down forLiam Neeson is no stranger to these generic popcorn flicks, in fact that's pretty much all he can do now and at his age that's more than surprising. Every now and again you'll get a dud, and well The Commuter is a giant dud. Settle down for nearly two hours of Liam Neeson sitting on a train, Liam Neeson stressfully pacing up and down the train, Liam Neeson glaring suspiciously at every other person on the train and Liam Neeson beating everyone to a bloody pulp on the train. I never expected anything special but I wasn't prepared for boredom.

Liam Neeson is an insurance salesman who lives a rather mundane life, travelling on the same commuter train at the same time every day. Times are tough and money is tight so when he is approached by a random women (Vera Farmiga) offering him a substantial amount of money to take part in this apparent hypothetical situation to find the person on the train who "does not belong" he can't help but seize this opportunity. So why approach Liam Neeson? Well he needs the money, and he's an ex-cop conveniently so I guess you could say he has a special set of skills that make him appropriate for the job. Find the person on the train, carrying a bag and getting off at the end of the line. Not much to go on, but he's Liam Neeson, no ordinary guy so if anyone can do it Liam can. I understand that a lot of scenes might have been going for the claustrophobic atmosphere but honestly there was so much shaky camera work in The Commuter I was starting to get dizzy. The fight scenes are atrocious even for this kind of movie, it's very difficult to see who's punching who. Honestly there came a point when I stopped caring, but if you've managed not to fall asleep then you might actually get a laugh out of them. Maybe you've always wanted to see Liam Neeson beat someone half to death with a guitar. I genuinely believe the third act of this film is meant to be a comedy it's that ridiculous. There's one scene in particular that I can't mention for spoiler reasons, but believe me you'll know it when you see it. Liam Neeson has long since stopped caring about these movies, they're simply pay cheque performances, so if you're expecting the standard of Taken don't because The Commuter is so generic and predictable you'll be fighting off sleep. I felt stupid watching The Commuter, and I felt stupid wasting time on it, so save yourselves and give this one a miss. Not recommended unless you really enjoy these Liam Neeson action flicks, in that case enjoy.
GreatMartinJan 30, 2018
In ‘the good old days’ when they had double bills in the movie theatres consisting of 2 movies, a cartoon, a newsreel, coming attractions among other things “The Commuter” would be the B feature on the double bill.

“The Commuter” is a

“The Commuter” is a ‘popcorn film’ where you check your logic at the door, sit back in the auditorium chair, eat your popcorn or whatever you buy, enjoy and forget as you walk out the theatre.

Liam Nesson is our hero who can do no wrong and even lies for no reason by saying, in the movie, that he is 60 when in real life he is 65! Guess what? He is a commuter, which is shown in the first few minutes, married, has a kid and gets married after 10 years on a job and at one time had been a police officer.

When the movie settles down he is on his way home and after sitting in his chair and opening a book to read he is approached by Vera Farmiga with an offer he can’t refuse, as only happens in a movie. The logic goes out the air with the proposition just as we see Neeson in fights that would kill normal men while he just gets up and fights the next guy or does minor, compared to other, deeds like falling off a train and jumping back on!

Just recently Liam Neeson said he is too old to keep on making action movies but keep on he does and makes it look easy. I, personally, wish he would make a ‘serious drama’ like he used to now and then.

The cast has the usual suspects but anyone with crime movies will guess the villain before it hits the halfway mark. I have yet to see Vera Farmiga give a bad performance and though she is seen briefly on screen just hearing her voice for a lot of the screen time is intriguing. With a fine supporting cast on the train, Adam Nagaitis as conductor Jimmy offers needed humor.

Director of photography, Paul Cameron, along with director Jaume Collet-Serra, offers some dazzling camera work including a fight on the train that uses everything on hand along with arms, legs, train seats, windows, an ax, a gun, etc., constantly moving from train car to train car.

“The Commuter” is for Liam Nesson fans, crime/thriller fans, train fans, B movie fans and a film to see on a rainy day to forget whatever troubles you might have and giving your brain a rest!
EpicLadySpongeJan 12, 2018
It's hard to determine what The Commuter is actually trying to be because its length isn't long enough to tell me what it's actually trying to be. All in such, everyone did great as their roles for this movie especially Liam Neeson but theyIt's hard to determine what The Commuter is actually trying to be because its length isn't long enough to tell me what it's actually trying to be. All in such, everyone did great as their roles for this movie especially Liam Neeson but they couldn't survive the struggle this film went to face after we get to the middle of the movie since at that specific point, the film knew it was going to lose enough pressure built up from the work put onto the film. All that pressure built up from the hype isn't going to get us anywhere though so don't expect your hype meter to be literal high for this one. Expand
GinaKJan 24, 2018
How do you rate a clever film that is fun to watch but only original in some of its plot twists? Liam Neeson is very convincing and Vera Farmiga and Sam Neill and all the minor characters were well done. No insight into The Human Condition,How do you rate a clever film that is fun to watch but only original in some of its plot twists? Liam Neeson is very convincing and Vera Farmiga and Sam Neill and all the minor characters were well done. No insight into The Human Condition, but I was happy to escape all life’s problems in the company of these fine actors for 103 minutes. Expand
CineAutoctonoJan 18, 2018
"The Commuter" was definitely a very good movie. Liam Neeson, even at an advanced age, still knows how to fight, although his level has dropped a bit, the story was regular but exciting. I think this movie did not disappoint me at all.
TyranianJun 19, 2019
Entertaining and Neeson is good but premise is ridiculous and makes the movie unintelligible.
mrmonsterJun 17, 2018
A worth watching movie. That's all I have to say. It's not great, it's not that memorable, and it would not have been worth seeing at full theater price, but as a rental, it's well worth it. For only $1.50 at a Redbox machine, The Commuter isA worth watching movie. That's all I have to say. It's not great, it's not that memorable, and it would not have been worth seeing at full theater price, but as a rental, it's well worth it. For only $1.50 at a Redbox machine, The Commuter is more than worth it. Expand
BrianMcCriticMay 1, 2018
When a director and actor have a string of B level movies you'd expect some of these efforts to fail, but surprisingly the efforts continue to be solid entertainment. B-
marcmyworksApr 14, 2018
The Commuter feels like the side story of Taken, where Liam Neeson tries to have a normal life and BAM his life is taken... over by an evil Vera Farmiga hell bent on a plot taken right out of a 1990s Stallone action flick (like Daylight orThe Commuter feels like the side story of Taken, where Liam Neeson tries to have a normal life and BAM his life is taken... over by an evil Vera Farmiga hell bent on a plot taken right out of a 1990s Stallone action flick (like Daylight or Cliffhanger). Expand
section20mi6Apr 9, 2018
A cliche story with solid action and pacing. It's probably good to see Liam Neeson does what he does best in action movies, but that's pretty much it.
MattBrady99May 10, 2018
Did Liam Neeson already star in a movie like this called 'Non-stop', but this time it's a train, not a plane. It's even got the same director, Jaume Collet-Serra.
VancomycinFeb 10, 2018
The 8 stops 4 minutes apart should've made the movie approximately 40 minutes long, including intro and end scenes, which would've been just right. Unfortunately they added an extra hour of Liam Neeson trying to think.
AproxxAug 20, 2018
I don't watch Liam Neeson action flicks.

I don't watch Liam Neeson action flicks.

I totally get why people like (or love) him, so Im not against people being fan of him. I don't find that dumb or ridiculous. My fav action actor is Jason Statham though, and he's movies are enough to satisfy my action flick apetite.

But then the trailer drops and Vera Farmiga is here making the pitch to Neeson. Vera Farmiga is just good at everything. So when I assumed she was going to be prominent as the villain in the movie I was hyped. The concept of the movie is great. Kind of a Detective Conan (the anime) episode, where you have to figure it our who of this people its the bad guy and then what to do with the "offer". And that was awesome for about 25 minutes and then the movie turns into a brainless action flick. In the end there are "twists" in the mystery of exactly what happened and who is who. But its after alot of brainless stuff, so it doesn't feel earned and honestly I didn't care much.

But I was entertained all the way through and it had the good start and fine finish for this one not to be just mediocre.
CarFan1999Mar 6, 2018
Neeson does a good job here. Despite being 65, he can still kick butt and does a role similar to what he did in other movies like Taken and Non-Stop. The thrills here are good too as there are a couple white-knuckle moments and some suspense.Neeson does a good job here. Despite being 65, he can still kick butt and does a role similar to what he did in other movies like Taken and Non-Stop. The thrills here are good too as there are a couple white-knuckle moments and some suspense. However, the writing is a bit sloppy. It's hard to understand what's going on at times, the story itself becomes implausible and over-the-top, and overall, there's not much that sets this apart from other mystery-thrillers. The Commuter is a decent movie. The story is a bit ridiculous and the writing weak, but nethertheless a fun thriller with a good performance from Liam Neeson. Expand
thedaywalkerMay 5, 2018
What could have been a great psicological thriller was instead a mediocre action movie with quite generic scenes and acting. The plot had promise, but wasn't used the right way, we could have got to know the characters in the train deeper, orWhat could have been a great psicological thriller was instead a mediocre action movie with quite generic scenes and acting. The plot had promise, but wasn't used the right way, we could have got to know the characters in the train deeper, or the murder mistery could have been slowly solved during the movie, intead we got an exposition dump from every character we met. The plot twist of him finding the passanger was good, i didn't imagine that, but the twist of who was the killer was very obvious in my opinion. Some of the action was good, but others were unnecessary, in the end this will be another movie that nobody will talk about 1 day after watching Expand
mrdr4gonFeb 16, 2018
A flat and boringly made thriller that manages to be engaging enough regardless until it turns into an absolute farce in the final act. Not good, but still enjoyable due to its own silly self-seriousness.
CoKronakanFeb 15, 2019
This movie felt like it was trying hard to be a 1 location-shot epic movie, which it turned up that it failed at it. Liam Neeson was the only one who delivered their character in style and with passion the other actors did not show enoughThis movie felt like it was trying hard to be a 1 location-shot epic movie, which it turned up that it failed at it. Liam Neeson was the only one who delivered their character in style and with passion the other actors did not show enough interest and didn't gave depth to their roles. Although it is arguable that this was the point. Also immersion with the viewer was non existent. There is no humor which just makes a movie like this feel like a chore and totally dull. Sadly the plot is very shallow and has no entertainment value to it. The CGI was average at best within the action scenes. Sadly all the elements with the combined ending of the movie and the message it delivered, which was painfully cliche - are the exact reason this movie is just and above average. Expand
AMFcriticNov 1, 2018
Another action movie by Liam Neeson, exciting and intriguing like others; but without leaving a cliché that has maintained since the trilogy of Taken (2007, 2012, 2015) and Non-Stop (2014).
The action unfolds very well, and the mystery can be
The action unfolds very well, and the mystery can be felt. But finally it ends up being another action blockbuster. 6.1 / 10