Focus Features | Release Date: June 14, 2019
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 60 Ratings
Watch Now
BlockearJun 15, 2019
I just saw this movie three times just in two days and the all time i laugh like a lot. The Adam Driver is awsome and with Bill they just killed it, and all the cast are funny group of the society who to kill the zombies or die.
GinaKJun 17, 2019
Jim Jarmusch films are an acquired taste that I acquired from the very first film of his I saw near Lincoln Center in NYC decades ago. Frankly I never expected to see him at AMC in the ‘burbs although this film seemed a bit more commercialJim Jarmusch films are an acquired taste that I acquired from the very first film of his I saw near Lincoln Center in NYC decades ago. Frankly I never expected to see him at AMC in the ‘burbs although this film seemed a bit more commercial than usual, even though it still had that special, slightly askew Jarmusch style. His idea of apocalypse is like no other – and yet very familiar. But the most amazing thing about Jarmusch’s films is how comfortable and natural his actors seem, even when the weirdest things happen. Jarmusch films are also very, very funny – and a great change from everyday life (and everyday films). You have to relax and “go with” his films, whatever happens, and then his films quickly become fun to watch. They are both real – and not real. Expand
Brent_MarchantJun 15, 2019
The filmography of director Jim Jarmusch is characterized by hits and misses. Unfortunately, his latest offering is more the latter than the former. This social/political satire, wrapped up in an homage to George Romero's horror classicThe filmography of director Jim Jarmusch is characterized by hits and misses. Unfortunately, his latest offering is more the latter than the former. This social/political satire, wrapped up in an homage to George Romero's horror classic "Night of the Living Dead," frequently falls flat, playing like an unedited first cut of an unedited first draft screenplay. Jarmusch's latest seems like an attempt to imitate Jordan Peele but lacks the airtight narrative foundation to effectively pull it off. That's too bad, too, given the stellar cast here, most of whom (except for Tilda Swinton) are underutilized and given precious little to work with. What's more, the story takes far too long to find traction, something that it finally starts to do in the second half but never quite catches fire due to some of the same pacing, editing and lackluster writing issues that plague the entire first half. A very big missed opportunity here. Expand
MovieRiffingJun 19, 2019
The Dead Don't Die runs far with its bleak premise and dry humor, but it can't outrun the heavy handed mess lurking within the finale. Any Bill Murray or Jim Jarmusch fan should see this and I recommend the film as a whole, but it is notThe Dead Don't Die runs far with its bleak premise and dry humor, but it can't outrun the heavy handed mess lurking within the finale. Any Bill Murray or Jim Jarmusch fan should see this and I recommend the film as a whole, but it is not priority viewing. Expand
wheredowegoJun 14, 2019
the gore wasnt over the top and it was genuine fun to watch even if the pace was a bit slow, still enjoyable
wales7388Jun 14, 2019
really nuiance performances with a deeper and meaningful send off, selena and bill were standouts!! love them!!!
treestandJun 17, 2019
The Dead Don't Die is my new favorite zombie film. That being said, it is not my favorite Jarmusch film. Still, I think it was great, the pace, the dialog the off kilter weirdness all worked so well in this small little film about the zombieThe Dead Don't Die is my new favorite zombie film. That being said, it is not my favorite Jarmusch film. Still, I think it was great, the pace, the dialog the off kilter weirdness all worked so well in this small little film about the zombie in all of us. The police dept team and the weirdo coroner absolutely stole the show, despite the entire ensemble cast doing a great ob bring sleepy Centerville to life. The only real issue I had, without spoiling anything, is that the fim should have ended five minutes sooner. The final scene is a bit gratuitous in 2 respects, the sudden action and the final voice over. The film would have done better ending with the understanding that things weren't going to end well, without having to show HOW things don't end well so specifically. Also, the theme and message the film was trying to convey was already overly evident without needing to bash it over the audience's heads as heads were being bashed in. But that's it. Great film, but I wish the credits rolled after 'we have to give it our best shot.' Expand
Gojira54Jun 22, 2019
Overall the movie was underwhelming. Most of the films high points are in the trailer. Sadly a lackluster zombie movie.
KlebartJun 21, 2019
Ignore the fake positive reviews for this movie. There are too many saying it was so funny to be real. I'm warning you. This movie was painfully SLOW. This movie had maybe one funny line in the entire movie. This movie tries to be artsy orIgnore the fake positive reviews for this movie. There are too many saying it was so funny to be real. I'm warning you. This movie was painfully SLOW. This movie had maybe one funny line in the entire movie. This movie tries to be artsy or tongue-in-cheek but fails at being an oddball film. It's barely even trying. There's no plot. There's no point to it. The zombies are worthless. The actors are all bit players. There's a lame plot twist with a female lead that is pointless and stupid. I watched this movie not expecting much, but hoping to be entertained at least a little bit. I went in with zero expectations and left feeling cheated. That's how bad the film was. The movie failed in almost every way. I kept watching it waiting to be surprised and also to have time to finish my popcorn. Be warned. There is no way that people have watched this movie several times because there is absolutely nothing to it! For all those who said they laughed throughout the entire movie they are either bots, working for the companies, or high. Perhaps all three. Such a terrible movie that I wish I could rate it lower than a ZERO. Let me repeat that. ZERO. Expand
loverxselenaJun 23, 2019
The all star cast delivers a great movie filled with comedy, gore, and a look at society. Great performances by Adam Driver, Bill , and Selena Gomez.
Experiment626Jun 14, 2019
Jokes fall flat. The story goes nowhere. Given the actors involved, it was a big disappointment.
OminutsuJun 14, 2019
Surprisingly boring. A few good parts are there because of the great cast but, man, this director spends half the movie bouncing between flexing his contact list and making obscure jokes.
asskittenJun 14, 2019
Save your weekend. Watch anything else. This is so lazy, so sloppy, so awful. I hate to see Bill Murray working so hard for a futile result. The director probably never watched Zombieland. And probably not Shawn the Dead either. NoSave your weekend. Watch anything else. This is so lazy, so sloppy, so awful. I hate to see Bill Murray working so hard for a futile result. The director probably never watched Zombieland. And probably not Shawn the Dead either. No wonder watching TV is better than a trip to the movies. Expand
TVJerryJun 18, 2019
When it was advertised that treasured indie filmmaker Jim Jarmusch was jumping on the zombie bandwagon, hopes were high. Sadly, they were dashed after about 30 minutes. Bill Murray and Adam Driver star as 2 cops dealing with the undeadWhen it was advertised that treasured indie filmmaker Jim Jarmusch was jumping on the zombie bandwagon, hopes were high. Sadly, they were dashed after about 30 minutes. Bill Murray and Adam Driver star as 2 cops dealing with the undead outbreak in their small town. There's plenty of the deadpan style that Jarmusch is famous for, but it happens too often without comic effect (and often repeats the same jokes making them even less funny). The gory stuff happens off camera (so there goes any opportunity for hilarious over-the-top violence) and the killing scenes aren't especially inventive (although the smoke residue is a nice concept). I kept wanting to like this film, but as it dragged on, it became less amusing and more tedious. Expand
CrosisDePurgerJun 17, 2019
2/3s of this movie is quite good, it is a zom com infused with a surreal minimalism and plays like "scream" where the film is self aware as a zombie genre film. However, the film falls apart in the 3rd act as the 4th wall breaking is taken2/3s of this movie is quite good, it is a zom com infused with a surreal minimalism and plays like "scream" where the film is self aware as a zombie genre film. However, the film falls apart in the 3rd act as the 4th wall breaking is taken too far and plot threads are just dropped or end in ludicrous ways. The film also chooses to lecture the audience in case the themes were too sophisticated for us to pick up on. These things dragged down my enjoyment of the film and as such I can't whole heatedly endorse it. Expand
HammersfallJun 24, 2019
The trailer has everything you need to see from this movie, two hours I can never get back.
dr_spokchildJun 23, 2019
Look no further for not only one of THE WORST MOVIES OF YOUR LIFETIME, but a movie that's emblematic of WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WORLD TODAY.

Leaving Adam Driver's talentless one-trick-pony "acting" out of the equation, we're left the brilliant Bill Murray, Chloe Sevigny, and Tilda Swinton whose combined casting and power could lift ANY film - with a real script and plot.

This movie is a played-out, self-referential and post-literate attempt at hipster irony. The cheesy and corny humor are all together flat, repetitive, and predictable. In borrowing or "paying homage" to zombie flicks of yesteryear, you're simply left with shoplifted, grifted, and lifted tropes, passe passages, & hollow characters.

It's tantamount to watching a rich kid's USC senior short film project go to the big screen 60 minutes too long (KNOWING that their parents "got them in to USC" via connections.

Spare me your Rust Belt bulls#*t. This film is 100% crap except for a few funny moments from Tilda. There's nothing redeemable about this film whatsoever.

It shows you, it's never been truer: WHO YOU KNOW IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT YOU KNOW.

Clearly, you knew all the right ppl to get cast, but you couldn't write a script to save your a$@, or even direct an improv-script to save your a$@. The film is worse than any hangover, bad one night stand, or large regret you may have had. This movie is worse than sh#t because at least **** is waste leaving. This is sh#t.
moonliteJun 25, 2019
This was really unique to see a movie of the horror zombie genre to have many undertones and messages underlined subtly and covertly. I actually liked it alot!!!!!!
alfredhess36Jun 27, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I still have no idea what I just watched. The entire movie was painfully slow, interjecting what felt like the opening of The Shining, pretty cinematic with groaning music, between every scene of the movie. And just when I figured they'd tie the movie up with some sort of message, the message simply was, "Well isn't that just F***ed up." Movie over. Expand
Rebecca31Jul 23, 2019
The moment The Dead Don’t Die started the couple sitting in front of me left the screen, now it’s possible they got a very strong inclination that they would not enjoy this film but it’s much more likely they were actually in the wrongThe moment The Dead Don’t Die started the couple sitting in front of me left the screen, now it’s possible they got a very strong inclination that they would not enjoy this film but it’s much more likely they were actually in the wrong screen. Either way they made the right decision and I’m sure whatever film they ended up in was presumably a lot more fun than the brainless The Dead Don’t Die.

Polar fracking has thrown the earth off its axis (yes it could happen you never know) and strange occurrences keep happening all over the world, daylight for much longer than usual, a weird glowing moon and animals literally fleeing the vicinity so you know **** about to go down. The setup is all this tension building, working its way towards inevitable disaster, and in case you didn’t pick up on that you’ve even got Adam Driver to remind you every once in a while, “this is definitely going to end badly” etc. I don’t think I’ve ever been this bored watching a zombie movie and that can’t have been easy to do, I mean its zombies they basically sell themselves. Fair play to anyone who didn’t die of boredom watching The Dead Don’t Die I am honestly having a hard time writing this review, I’m so disappointed I can only blame the trailers for essentially lying to me. It’s sold as a horror/comedy with a great cast, (not you Selena Gomez) well it’s got the horror, it’s got the cast but that’s about it. The Dead Don’t Die is perfect example of a great cast not being enough, if the story’s not there then what’s the point? It’s constantly trying to make you think about society today and how we’ve all basically turned into mindless zombies ourselves and in case you’re so bored and haven’t picked up on this thankfully Tom Waits will crop up in between Adam Driver telling us how bad things will end and give some narration as to the state of the world we live in. Tedious, dull and it got more annoying by the minute. I struggled to stay engaged with this film and I was exhausted by the time it finally ended. It’s incredibly quirky and might be to some people’s tastes but there’s just not enough in The Dead Don’t Die to keep you interested, not recommended, avoid at all costs.
JLuis_001Jul 1, 2019
I don't know what the **** happened. I cannot believe that a film so simplistic and without passion was made by someone as constant and detailed as Jim Jarmusch.

I couldn't help but notice the simplicity of the story and the boredom of the

I couldn't help but notice the simplicity of the story and the boredom of the actors and that's a huge weight for the film because perhaps under other circumstances it would not be criticized in the same way but considering the prestige of its director and all the famous names of the cast, it's pretty clear that this film ends up owing a lot.

And no, it's not funny and no, it's not, philosophical or metaphorical.
It's nothing but a simple comedy with horror tones that failed to provide successful results. And I'm disappointed, very disappointed, by the movie and by Jarmusch.
raodonnell1Jul 22, 2019
This reviewer awarded a zero, not because the movie is bad, but because it is deliberately so. The impression is that the creators are having a somewhat smug laugh at the audiences expense. Doubtless unconcerned about poor box office returnsThis reviewer awarded a zero, not because the movie is bad, but because it is deliberately so. The impression is that the creators are having a somewhat smug laugh at the audiences expense. Doubtless unconcerned about poor box office returns (because its art you know, and they don’t need the money) they subject us to a boring, unfunny catalogue of in-jokes that may very possibly be de-rigeur among the great of Hollywood but leave the ordinary punter feeling cheated out of the 11 euro ticket price and the 100 odd minutes of life that they will never get back. From the languid, irritating score, to the trademark jaded star performance by Bill Murray this movie puts the die in dire.
Not since The Killing of a Sacred Deer vomited onto our screens has this reviewer been so utterly repulsed by a movie.
thatdannerJun 28, 2019
Probably one of the best comedies I've seen this year. Found it to be very deadpan, making it very funny. The acting from most cast members is amazing, especially Bill Murray, Adam Driver and Tilda Swinton. The movie is definitely veryProbably one of the best comedies I've seen this year. Found it to be very deadpan, making it very funny. The acting from most cast members is amazing, especially Bill Murray, Adam Driver and Tilda Swinton. The movie is definitely very strange and the characters are fresh and quirky. This is exactly what you would want out of an indie movie. Aside from some of the good, the plot-holes make it slightly less enjoyable. The movie suffers from unfinished plot lines, but it does a fantastic job of switching in-between the 5-6 different groups of characters in the movie. The action is well-done also, for a B-movie. Overall, if you don't mind the endless cliffhanger that some of the groups of characters get, you will love the movie. Expand
0007Jun 27, 2019
Incredibly painful to watch. I didn't expect much, but I had no idea that a movie in this day and age this horrible could have a theatrical release. Horrible acting and devastatingly slow pace.
RentawilJun 25, 2019
Maybe I'm too dense to recognize political/social satire when I see it, or maybe I was too underwhelmed by the slow but steady pace of this hollow, seriously underwritten knockoff of the whole genre to get into it. I mean, how many headsMaybe I'm too dense to recognize political/social satire when I see it, or maybe I was too underwhelmed by the slow but steady pace of this hollow, seriously underwritten knockoff of the whole genre to get into it. I mean, how many heads have to come off for me to get the point that ya gotta Kill The Head to win this war, with half of those scenes blatantly pulled off with old school cutaway shots at the critical moment?

Just shooting a zombie flick inherently gives the director some free reign in satirizing fear of death, special FX and the medium itself, or just having a little fun with the concept. It shouldn't be an excuse to hire two of Hollywood's most deadpan actors and hope that somehow it will transcribe into biting social comment or rolling-in-the-aisles laughter. My attention WAS snagged by the milk toast layout and casually interesting story line, but only until the middle of the "action" when there was no denying this empty sucker is going nowhere.

Towards the very end I felt a tingle of ecstatic anticipation as Driver reveals to Murray how he knew that everything "was going to end badly", that this would signal a creative and worthwhile climax, making the whole film experience at least worth the price of admission. It was anything but.
Upset2Jun 30, 2019
I've never rated a movie before, but this movie is the worst movie I've ever seen shame on you for putting it in theaters
HillelJul 2, 2019
I've enjoyed many of Jarmusch's films over the years and so looked forward to watching this one too. I know to expect quirky, underplayed scenes and ultra-dry humour. But this film really disappointed me. The script was lazy, with Tom WaitsI've enjoyed many of Jarmusch's films over the years and so looked forward to watching this one too. I know to expect quirky, underplayed scenes and ultra-dry humour. But this film really disappointed me. The script was lazy, with Tom Waits skulking around in the forest like he was method-cosplaying a David Lynch character, Tilda Swinton deployed to do nothing much other than look odd, and Driver, Murray and Buscemi were all criminally underused. Sevigny's was surprisingly the strongest character in the cast. Overall the film had a "hmm, gotta clear up my back taxes" sort of feel to it for most of those involved. Expand
selenatoroneJul 17, 2019
the whole cast is very charismatic, we need more movies like this tht make the audience laugh