IFC Films | Release Date: March 9, 2018
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 168 Ratings
Watch Now
GreatMartinMar 23, 2018
“The Laughs come in jolts and waves with savage one-liners.”

Manohla Dargis New York Times “Often Hilarious” Michael Phillips Chicago Tribune “A unique and hilarious British comedy.” Mike LaSalle San Francisco Chronicle “Source of
“The Laughs come in jolts and waves with savage one-liners.”

Manohla Dargis New York Times

“Often Hilarious” Michael Phillips Chicago Tribune

“A unique and hilarious British comedy.”

Mike LaSalle San Francisco Chronicle

“Source of hilarity and it is hilarious.”

Bill Goodykoontz Arizona Republic “A complete bore! Did the above critics see the same movie I saw?”

GreatMartin

“The Death of Stalin” is set in the 1950s and the fight for power in Russia after the dictator’s death. Are you laughing yet? It supposedly is satire which implies irony or sarcasm and the director/writer, Armando Iannucci, tries everything from the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges slapstick to insult comedy, chaos, no attempt at Russian accents having various accents ranging from Brooklyn to London but getting very few reactions from the audience.

Iannucci is the writer of the much awarded HBO series “Veep” known for its comedy, irony, and sarcasm which it delivers with belly laughs, smiles, smirks, and humor while here he enlists 2 additional writers and the only smile/laugh I can remember is a crack about Grace Kelly!

The cast consisting of Steve Buscemi, Michael Palin, Simon Russell Beale, Adrian McLoughlin, Jeffrey Tambor, Olga Kurylenko, Rupert Friend, Jason Issacs, Paddy Considine among others deliver the expected performances with a little scenery chewing now and then.

Enjoy seeing people shot in the head, brains taken out of a head after the scalp is cut back and ‘fun’ things like that? Can you go another day without knowing that most good doctors in Russia were killed and that Stalin had lists of people to be killed?

Those answering ‘yes’ to any of the questions asked should probably go and see “The Death of Stalin”.

The only questions I am asking myself is have I lost my sense of humor as I’ve grown older or is funny and/or satire not what it was defined years ago?
qJun 29, 2018
I tried to watch this movie all the way to the end, but I got sick of hearing the f-word while waiting in vain for something to be funny. I finally hit stop and eject and set it aside to be returned to Redbox the following morning. The factI tried to watch this movie all the way to the end, but I got sick of hearing the f-word while waiting in vain for something to be funny. I finally hit stop and eject and set it aside to be returned to Redbox the following morning. The fact that the critics seem to think this piece of garbage is worthy of anyone's time proves once again that they have little in common with normal people. Expand