A24 | Release Date: July 31, 2015
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 106 Ratings
Watch Now
LamontRaymondAug 5, 2015
One of the best movies of the year - Jason Segel is fantastic and utterly believable. Danny Elfman's score is right on the money, and the soundtrack does wonders for the film. Don't want to say too much - just see it.
TVJerryAug 26, 2015
Jesse Eisenberg plays a Rolling Stone writer who spends 5 days interviewing David Foster Wallace (Jason Segel), the author of acclaimed novel "Infinite Jest." This is essentially a road trip that absorbingly explores the awkward, anxiousJesse Eisenberg plays a Rolling Stone writer who spends 5 days interviewing David Foster Wallace (Jason Segel), the author of acclaimed novel "Infinite Jest." This is essentially a road trip that absorbingly explores the awkward, anxious relationship that develops during their short encounter. Segel is subdued, yet compellingly complex, as he handles the character's elaborate discourse and emotional density. Eisenberg plays the role of eager, besotted listener with his typical hesitant confidence. Even though this is primarily a duo dialogue, the skillful screenplay by Donald Margulies and controlled direction by James Ponsoldt help make every moment enthralling. A fascinating exploration of creativity, ego and communication. NOTE: Stay thru the closing titles for one last moment. Expand
NickLikesMoviesOct 23, 2015
"The End of the Tour" offers fascinating characters, extraordinary performances (especially Segel), and a beautiful, heartbreaking tale of loneliness and depression. A subtle and poignant film that you should see.
sanserifAug 19, 2015
A very sincere and thoughtful indie film with stellar performances from both Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg. I think the film isn't so much about the lives of each character; it's more of an examination of their relationship and chemistry--A very sincere and thoughtful indie film with stellar performances from both Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg. I think the film isn't so much about the lives of each character; it's more of an examination of their relationship and chemistry-- what happens when you meet the person that you want to be? Apparently, it's of a mix of a lot of emotions..

On one level, not much really happens in the film plot-wise and it could be easily dismissed as lacking a true 'climax'... But what I enjoyed was mainly the interactions between the two characters. It got me thinking more and more about the film and what the point was... I felt like there were some interesting parallels between the relationship of David Lipsky vs David Wallace and the spiritual relationship between Man vs God. Yeah I know, it's a little far fetched, but definitely fun and interesting to think about... and that's sort of what I found cool about the movie.
ydnar4Oct 20, 2015
The films plot sort of resembles Almost Famous (2000), one of my personal favorite films.

Jason Segel and Jesse Eisenberg are so spot on in this film. Segel probably offers his best performance to date and Eisenberg offers a performance that will nearly rival his performance in The Social Network. Both actors seem like the natural choice for their respective roles. I could even buy Segel in the wig he had to use to play Wallace.

The dialogue is also another high point for this film. It so insightful and deep and it really make you wish that you could have conversations like that with your own friends. The interactions between the characters are so interesting that there is never a dull moment. Thumbs up to Donald Margulies for writing the screen play.

The End of the Tour is a great watch for any movie fan who enjoys excellent performances and dialogue. The film is one of the best of the year so far.
tristanleungchOct 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With an amazing screenplay,beautiful performance by the leading actors and the score. The end of the tour made me could never get bored watching this five-days interview,which i don't wanna end.I tried so hard to hold my tears when i can understand David Foster Wallace's suffering,especially when no one can truly understand him.As well as the moment that David Lipsky realised the importance of this interview.
However,i still couldn't stop dropping tears when the last scene was shown along with the amazing score.I guess i can never understand how relieved and satisfied with the moment when Wallace enjoyed the dance.
NavyBeanAug 24, 2015
One of the professional reviews stated something to the effect that writers are seldom as interesting as their work (A.O. Scott maybe?) Not sure if this was an intended message of the movie, but it was a big part of it to me.

Us, the

Us, the viewer, looking for something fascinating about Wallace. The RS reporter holding Wallace's career up as a what he wanted to be. Wallace not wanting to look bad in the RS article. It all seemed so ordinary, so less than fascinating.

When Wallace says "it's not that easy being me" (paraphrase, sorry) isn't that the message we all want to relay to the rest of the world about our own lives?

I thought it was a thoughtful, gentle, intelligent movie that didn't have these great monologues of brilliant writing but conveyed a sense of the simple, universal struggle of existence. I'd see it again.
Brent_MarchantAug 9, 2015
"The End of the Tour" -- Reviewed on Metacritic (6/10) and Rotten Tomatoes (***)
Despite excellent performances by Jesse Eisenberg and Jason Segel (a deserving awards contender, to be sure) and great chemistry between them, there's not much else going on here. There's a lot of talking that tries to come across as substantive, but the writing ultimately falls short, and the overall narrative fails to significantly enlighten viewers about its central character. It's as if the audience is waiting for a payoff that never comes. Perhaps those familiar with the protagonist's work will get more out of this offering, but, for those unacquainted with the material, the result is largely unsatisfying.
bfoore90Oct 5, 2016
Literally almost fell in love with this movie almost at first sight. I can't say enough about just how good this movie is and I'm literally kicking myself trying to find out how this gem flew under my radar for the past year. The castings ofLiterally almost fell in love with this movie almost at first sight. I can't say enough about just how good this movie is and I'm literally kicking myself trying to find out how this gem flew under my radar for the past year. The castings of Jason Segal and Jessie Eisenberg are spot on and nail the two David's almost to the T. This was just a really thoughtful and gentle movie that conveyed the sense of the struggle of existence and the friendship beyween David Foster Wallace and David Lipsky. Expand
bsykes91Aug 11, 2015
It's like Almost Famous in that it takes a deep look into ambition and the folly of idol worship. The writing is great, the acting is great, and the character study in never less than compelling. I was truly lucky that I caught this movie atIt's like Almost Famous in that it takes a deep look into ambition and the folly of idol worship. The writing is great, the acting is great, and the character study in never less than compelling. I was truly lucky that I caught this movie at Sundance in January. Expand
STIKSANDSTONESOct 31, 2015
Well, I thought about turning it off, numerous times, but I never did, kept waiting and waiting for it to get good. Decent acting but, a **** story line.
smiyamotNov 21, 2015
A very good character study of a famous writer and how he chooses to react to the fame that comes his way, and the interviewer, who seeks that fame for himself. Their interaction reveals their feelings about life and how they viewA very good character study of a famous writer and how he chooses to react to the fame that comes his way, and the interviewer, who seeks that fame for himself. Their interaction reveals their feelings about life and how they view themselves, and maybe how we the viewer see ourselves. Expand
LeZeeOct 14, 2016
There's a limit for everything, and after that, the same people look differently.

This is an unexpected biographical drama. I don't know who are those two guys, I mean not the actors, but the real life characters. I never read their books or heard their names, though the film sounded great, so I decided to watch it. The entire film was an interview between a newly famed writer and a journalist who dreaming to become like him one day. So basically the young journalist desperately makes himself an opportunity to meet the writer and they take a road trip, discussing various topics.

It's hard to say who was best, both Jesse Eisenberg and Jason Segel were excellent. I think it was the best casting, they will be the reason if you want to watch it, not the story. Yep, the story was simple, just talking life, present and future of humankind, other celebrities and finally differences between them. That's the part I loved. I mean famed people or genius, whoever they're, they are just like us when it comes to interacting with others. They argue too, it's not like the worst thing to happen, but a normal thing as a human being. Just like animals locking their horns over land or females and sometimes for a no reason.

It was directed by 'The Spectacular Now' filmmaker, based on the bestselling memoir by David Lipsky, the character that played by Jesse Eisenberg. It takes place in the late 90s, but present in the film as a recall after a certain event. If you like 'Before Sunrise' kind of films, you will enjoy it, but if you hate slow pace narration, then you should better skip than giving a bad review and rating badly to wreck it up.

joekazNov 5, 2016
I could write about 1,000 words on why this film fell flaccidly short of my expectations. I know some writers are 'regular' guys - but Wallace wasn't. I've seen enough of him on Charlie Rose, etc. The movie inexplicably ignored a 'dive' intoI could write about 1,000 words on why this film fell flaccidly short of my expectations. I know some writers are 'regular' guys - but Wallace wasn't. I've seen enough of him on Charlie Rose, etc. The movie inexplicably ignored a 'dive' into the mind that wrote the epic Infinite Jest. There's a story about why the book is so big. It's tangential thought. Never discussed. Nor was depression addressed in a smart, or any, way. Both of these true, rich subjects were replaced by talk of women and flirting. Maybe Bret Easton Ellis likes to churn out books to get laid - but I can't, nor refuse to, believe DFW devoted as much of his brain's capacity to such primal, juvenile longings. Before I close, my score is not what it is because I don't care about Wallace and his meandering mind. My score reflects my disappointment for a wasted opportunity. Maybe this film should have been called "Finite Jest." < that's not even funny - but a reminded that EVEN the movies title is as lazy as the movie is. My rating point is strictly is earned only because there is now a film about DFW. Consider it a participation trophy. Expand
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
Eisenberg and Segal are good together, so it’s a shame that the script is heavier on the eyelids than the heart. You'll be longing for the end of the film.
JLuis_001Sep 14, 2017
Interesting in talk but failed in execution, a pity because I really expected a whole lot more, especially because of its protagonists.
I do not recommend it.
amheretojudgeJan 22, 2018
he wants more than he has..

The End Of The Tour A small proportion of the movies that are made relies on pure content, conversation or tales and this is definitely one of them. The End Of The Tour is smartly executed but more of the work
he wants more than he has..

The End Of The Tour

A small proportion of the movies that are made relies on pure content, conversation or tales and this is definitely one of them. The End Of The Tour is smartly executed but more of the work here is done by the writers and the two lead actors on screen for almost the whole runtime of the movie. But what lacks here is a touch of cinema or a bit of drama too for the audience to not only glued onto the seats but also to root the characters floating around it. Jason is good in his role but Jesse is the key to enrich the soul that The End Of The Tour seeks.
CameraBounceGodAug 23, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this was kinda fun. it was as good as it could be for a movie about writers without actually talking about what the writers had written about. Aside from Segals characters bout of jealousy this movie actually seems kinda smart. There were some clever movie tricks in there and i think that it would have been shocking to see that the two lead characters shared a gay experience. Jesse Eisenbergs best thing yet cept for when he told that whore interviewer that she was carrot top. it was also nice to see the office space guy in a role of being the douche that he seems. I thought i was going to like this less than a 4 for sure. i may even look and see who the director was. Expand
ScraperAug 23, 2018
I imagine the book read better as the entire worth of this movie is in the dialogue from David Foster Wallace. The End of the Tour's screenplay maintains a slow heartbeat but it really is the perception of DFW that is interesting. There isI imagine the book read better as the entire worth of this movie is in the dialogue from David Foster Wallace. The End of the Tour's screenplay maintains a slow heartbeat but it really is the perception of DFW that is interesting. There is little to no action to speak of and barely any interaction with other people – at least no action of any consequence. The film's worth is the conversation material. I found the interviewer, whether it was Eisenberg's calm acting or the actual part, to be just a catalyst to get a legend to speak. Expand
GrantD243May 21, 2019
I never thought I'd be so interested in watching a Rolling Stone journalist follow around an awkward, oddly interesting author. But here we are. I enjoyed this quite a bit, even if the main story arc feels a little flat in some ways.
MahmusAug 22, 2019
The film consist mostly of two dudes talking and you listen to every word they have to say.