A24 | Release Date: July 12, 2019
Watch Now
Watch Now
Buy on
ProteusAug 3, 2019
I've seen 100 movies this year and this is my favorite. The comedy is 100% organic and hilarious. The whole movie makes total sense. Go see this movie.

Off the subject Metacritic has the worst search engine in human history. I typed "The farewell" into the search bar. 6 results show up none of them this movie. How is that possible? Do the same thing on Google, which is searching the entire world wide web and you get this movie. How can a search engine be that bad? We have the answer right here on Metacritic.
mulderdogAug 5, 2019
What a wonderful surprise.. It was so much more then the given story of the grandmother/granddaughter and her imminent death.. Family, East /West, immigration, alcohol, culture,, millennial's, on and on. It was hilarious. Awkwafina and theWhat a wonderful surprise.. It was so much more then the given story of the grandmother/granddaughter and her imminent death.. Family, East /West, immigration, alcohol, culture,, millennial's, on and on. It was hilarious. Awkwafina and the rest of the cast were wonderful. yeah, the music was funky, but I'm over it. :-) Expand
Brent_MarchantJul 22, 2019
Director Lulu Wang's excellent comedy-drama about how to handle an impending family tragedy is one of the most capably made, thoroughly satisfying films of this or any other year. With excellent performances by Awkwafina and Shenzhen Zhou andDirector Lulu Wang's excellent comedy-drama about how to handle an impending family tragedy is one of the most capably made, thoroughly satisfying films of this or any other year. With excellent performances by Awkwafina and Shenzhen Zhou and a superbly, smartly written script, the picture takes viewers on an emotional rollercoaster, from laughter to tears to heartfelt warmth and back again. There's so much to like here that it's difficult to get one's hands around everything it has to offer. Let's hope this one is remembered at awards season. Expand
manningn15Aug 14, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one of my top 5 favorite dramas of 2019, one of my favorite movies of 2019, one of my favorite dramas of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The acting was phenomenal especially from Awkwafina, Zhao Shuzhen, Tzi Ma, Lu Hong, Jiang Yongbo, Chen Han, and Diana Lin. The writing was funny and really natural, beautifully touching, and heartbreaking. The story was outstandingly touching and heartbreaking. The music in the movie was excellent. The scenery was terrific especially I loved the rainbow arch, all of the buildings, and the hotel the family stayed in. The outfits were fantastic especially Awkwafina's, Lu Hong's, Zhao Shuzhen's, Aoi Mizuhara's, and Chen Han's. This was a A+ movie. Expand
TVJerryAug 5, 2019
Awkwafina veers dramatically (literally) away from her rep as a rapper and comic for this serious role. She plays an Asian-American who returns to China with her family for one last visit with her grandmother, who's been diagnosed withAwkwafina veers dramatically (literally) away from her rep as a rapper and comic for this serious role. She plays an Asian-American who returns to China with her family for one last visit with her grandmother, who's been diagnosed with advanced cancer. The catch: because they believe that the news will do more harm than the disease, they can't tell grandma. This leads Awkwafina to brood for the whole movie, almost never taking advantage of her comic abilities to add contrast that would make the heavy moments more poignant. Even so, this examination of family connections and cultural expectations is crafted as a sweet personal drama. Expand
tropicAcesAug 9, 2019
Hit home on more than one ocassion and had me seeing members of my own family in several characters. Very cute and well-made film. Start Zhao Shuzhen’s FYC Oscar campaign now, please.
twall3Sep 4, 2019
A charming, funny, sad, artfully shot and edited film. Wonderfully acted. So glad we saw this film!
The3AcademySinsAug 23, 2019
The Farewell is the latest offering from A24, and this studio continues to impress me. The Farewell is a touching story of death and family. It reminds me a lot of The Royal Tenenbaums in the sense that this movie takes immaculateThe Farewell is the latest offering from A24, and this studio continues to impress me. The Farewell is a touching story of death and family. It reminds me a lot of The Royal Tenenbaums in the sense that this movie takes immaculate cinematography, the highest comedy, the lowest tragedy, and a family dynamic, all while juggling and juxtaposing its deep themes throughout a litany of great performances. The cast is awesome, and there really is not a weak performance in the ensemble. Everything is so realistic and honest, and it just blew me away with how raw it was.

Where The Farewell falters is in its third act. The editing somehow gets worse in act three, and where every shot leading up to the finale is perfect, there are some really bad edits that really made me wonder if they ran out of film by the end! Speaking of endings, I didn't feel that The Farewell knew how to end. Maybe that was intentional? It was just jarring to have three separate scenes where everything is wrapped up so nicely, only for the movie to continue and remind you how nicely everything was wrapped up. And The Farewell kept doing this. This movie is based on a true story, and I feel this method of ending the movie really held it back.

All in all, this is a really strong, fantastic movie that I have no doubt in my mind I will watch and enjoy again and again. If you get the opportunity to see The Farewell, I can't recommend it enough. I can't wait to see what other people think of it!
philyhaiAug 7, 2019
It is about how people deal with death in the family. In US, the doctor bear legal responsibility to deliver the death verdict to you. In China, the news is usually delivered to their family member and it is up to the family to decide how orIt is about how people deal with death in the family. In US, the doctor bear legal responsibility to deliver the death verdict to you. In China, the news is usually delivered to their family member and it is up to the family to decide how or if they expose the news to their loved ones. This decision is usually only apply to the seniors in the family. It is a "crime" committed by the whole gang. To people live in China, it is not questionable. It is the way it is, it is responsibility of the offspring to bear the burden. This is premise of the movie. A practice is questioned by their uprooted American grown granddaughter, Bellie. The movie is not exactly all about this premise, dilemma, paradox. It is about how to love. In Chinese family, love is not being said, but done. As the grandma, Nainai, says, how to do it matters. Bellie want to say her last goodbye to Nainai; but to Chinese, we don't say goodbye. To say it out is shallow, but keep it deep in the heart. On the top of mourning, the movie also shows the dynamics between family members: Nainai and mom has under tension going; mom and dad are on rocky term; mom and Bellie has tense feeling on Grandpa's death; Mom and aunt argued about China and US... These conflicts are all yielding to their over hang grief. Death is the final God. And this is how Chinese family, community and country work together to keep harmony. The movie is a masterpiece worth watch over and over. The plot, if you referring to the premise is very simple and straight forward, but it layered many aspect in such a small space and time frame. And there is Ellen, singing her heart out for Little Nainai, Nainai's sister and the family. What else you can ask for a movie like this? Expand
FrostyGammaAug 4, 2019
The actors in this film are all good. Awkwafina gives a restrained but moving performance as Billi. Zhao Shuzhen plays a joyful, bossy, endearing Nai Nai - the necessary heart to the film. She makes it easy to see why her family cares so muchThe actors in this film are all good. Awkwafina gives a restrained but moving performance as Billi. Zhao Shuzhen plays a joyful, bossy, endearing Nai Nai - the necessary heart to the film. She makes it easy to see why her family cares so much for her. Diana Lin as Billi's mother Jian shows the tension of holding her emotions under a mask of dignity. Expand
BoomahlyDec 9, 2019
Not really as well made as everyone thought. The story is bland and I have lived through the same life, why put on the screen just try to show off your unique life?
matthewmirlianiJul 19, 2019
Elegant, understated, and beautifully filmed, The Farewell is an intimate exploration of family, humanity, life, and death. It succeeds by capturing the humor, awkwardness, joy, and sadness that one experiences as part of a family; it is thisElegant, understated, and beautifully filmed, The Farewell is an intimate exploration of family, humanity, life, and death. It succeeds by capturing the humor, awkwardness, joy, and sadness that one experiences as part of a family; it is this raw honesty that makes it such a triumph. Expand
JGNYCJul 13, 2019
The movie is a wonder - it somehow blends humor and honest sadness, deeply real cultural detail and universal experiences, and leaves you feeling like you've gotten to live with this family and feel all the love and the tensions among them.The movie is a wonder - it somehow blends humor and honest sadness, deeply real cultural detail and universal experiences, and leaves you feeling like you've gotten to live with this family and feel all the love and the tensions among them. Great performances, writing, directing. It deserves to be seen by many and win loud of awards Expand
SharturJul 12, 2019
Awkwafina is just fantastic this is a must see I can’t believe how much potential she has... this is an Oscar contender fur sure
BHBarryJul 14, 2019
“The Farewell” is a charming film written and directed by Lulu Wang with a Chinese cast who speak both Chinese and English throughout (since a lot of the filming occurred in New York City with the remainder in a suburb of Beijing. I mention“The Farewell” is a charming film written and directed by Lulu Wang with a Chinese cast who speak both Chinese and English throughout (since a lot of the filming occurred in New York City with the remainder in a suburb of Beijing. I mention this because many viewers are turned off by English titles but this film’s intermingling of English and Chinese dialogue makes it an enjoyable experience in spite of anyone’s aversion to this process. This review contains no spoiler since the film’s trailers and advertising let the prospective viewer know that this movie involves a Chinese family coping with the news that the beloved grandmother has been given only weeks to live and, per cultural customs, has decided to keep the news from her so that she can “enjoy” her remaining time with them. The lead actress, Akwafina, plays the U.S based granddaughter who travels to China to join the rest of her family there. It is this interplay with all her relatives that affords the writer/director the opportunity to create and blend comedy and drama all in the same vehicle. The film captures the essence of what true family is all about regardless of the culture, race or location of the events that may befall them. It is the film’s universal appeal and fine acting that earns this film an 8 rating and, if nothing else, will, to quote Ms. Wang, "make those leaving theater feel the need to call their grandmother". Expand
GreatMartinAug 4, 2019
As effective as "The Farewell" is on the huge movie screen I think it will be even more effective on the television screen. It is what use to be called a 'small' film but in reality it covers a lot of subjects all families deal with whichAs effective as "The Farewell" is on the huge movie screen I think it will be even more effective on the television screen. It is what use to be called a 'small' film but in reality it covers a lot of subjects all families deal with which brings laughs and tears and major differences no matter how small or big a family is.

I have seen Awkwafina in both ""Crazy Rich Asians" and "Ocean's 8" and I vaguely remember her 'wacky' roles but here she becomes a major player in movies and should get an Oscar nomination if not more. In the pivotal role as Billi, a daughter and granddaughter, she is rarely off screen whether in the New York or Changchun, China. Starring opposite her and, at times, stealing the picture from everyone, is Zhoa Shuzhen as the grandmother Nai Nai who has kept a close relationship with her granddaughter.

The film opens with "based on an actual lie" and it is a whopper of one as Nai Nai has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer without too much time left and the whole family conspires to keep the news from her and, yet, as in all families little lies are brought to light as we get to know the characters.

In more than one way "The Farewell" is a family movie, for any family of any nationality and background. This is a film the whole family can see together and in many cases will see themselves in how they relate to the various relatives from parents to siblings to cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.

The film is based upon the true story of the director's, Lulu Wang, family and she does a great job of drawing you into the story without any melodrama, keeping the lie real and except for two scenes keeping it all low keyed making it more moving not to forget bringing in a lot of humor.

Has not knowing of her diagnosis did Nai Nai live longer and if she had known would she have died sooner? Be sure to see the ending credits which, in a way, answers that question but, in any case, be sure to see "The Farewell"!
moviemitch96Jul 28, 2019
This was a touching film but I certainly don't think it was deserving of the 100% rating it's received on rotten tomatoes, and it wasn't anything groundbreaking or amazing like I was led to believe. What it does have going for it however areThis was a touching film but I certainly don't think it was deserving of the 100% rating it's received on rotten tomatoes, and it wasn't anything groundbreaking or amazing like I was led to believe. What it does have going for it however are some genuinely funny moments and a stellar performance from Awkwafina. Overall, it's cute, touching, and worth seeing, albeit slightly overhyped. Expand
KeithDowAug 9, 2019
The original title for this post was "'The Farewell' Review: An Angsty Awkwafina Headlines This One Note Song." That was before we noticed that the film currently maintains a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

After seeing that, we had to

After seeing that, we had to take stock of the situation by contemplating whose opinion is closer to being "correct" with regard to judging the overall quality of the movie: ours or mainstream critics.

For comparison, last year's breakout foreign film 'Shoplifters' also maintains a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It won the Palm d'Or at Cannes in addition to 43 other awards around the world. The plot to 'Shoplifters' is wonderfully deep and complex. The acting is superb and the camerawork is among the best of the year.

Alternatively, 'The Farewell' exhibits almost none of those attributes. The plot is rather mundane, we're never given much of a reason to care about any of the characters, and the dialogue is pedestrian, at best.

So we'll leave it to you, film fans, to tell us who you agree with more: us or them. Go see the film, form an opinion, and let us know on social media.
romethesecondtiAug 5, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The opening line on the screen is “Based on a lie.” That may be the cleverest writing in “The Farewell,” which has a good idea at its core. But, as many a screenwriter has discovered, it’s what you do with the good idea that counts. There’s some mildly interesting but rather basic family discussions about the difference between Chinese culture and American culture, and Billi emotes about her wrenching move to the United States decades ago. All this is not enough to save this slow-moving, one-note, preachy film. Billi is a mid-20s Asian American (Awkwafina) who left China with her parents at age 6), working as a struggling writer in New York City. Despite her remove from Beijing, she’s close to her grandmother Nai Nai (Shuzhen Zhao) who still lives there. Billi is devastated when she learns Nai Nai has terminal lung cancer and only a few months to live. The American and Japanese sides of the family decide to travel to China to see Nai Nai one last time, BUT—and here’s the “good idea”—Nai Nai is not to be told she’s dying. To keep the secret, a fake marriage, complete with a lavish wedding banquet, serves as a cover for the onslaught of family members from overseas. Most of the family understands that this is the Chinese way, but apparently Americanized Billi believes Nai Nai should know the truth of her condition.
Where does a scriptwriter go from here? There’s lots of tension to exploit between the keep-the-bad-news-from-her family members (too many to keep track of), and Billi. It’s an advice-prone family, and Billi gets plenty of it. Will she blurt out the truth? Let’s hope not! Nai Nai, too, is adept at the advice game, and Billi gets lots of instruction about career and marriage—and Chinese shouting and exercise--from grandma, whose complete lack of knowledge of New York City and Billi’s life there doesn’t deter her. Of course, Billi loves Nai Nai and the two spend lots of time together, which is about as cloying and boring on screen as it would be in real life. When Nai Nai, convinced that she’s fit as a fiddle, decides to obtain the results of a new chest X-ray, Billi must save the day, sprinting a good mile to the hospital (will she get there in time?).
The fake wedding should provide some comic relief from the pathos and shots of hospital waiting-rooms, but neither a long scene about whether lobster or crab will be served at the banquet, nor another of the groom getting drunk and sick, nor various friends and family doing karaoke advance the story. Billi’s brief speech at the banquet is also unrevealing (except in theory to make us anxious - will she give away the secret?).

To add insult to injury, it’s revealed during the credits that Nai Nai is still alive 6 years later. Hoodwinked!
MillieMaNov 6, 2019
One of the best films I have seen in a long time, such a beautiful story about the love a family shares. Lulu Wang has constructed a masterpiece with this film.
kirkenderJul 29, 2019
Awkwafina is fantastic, completely worth a watch for her performance alone, and most of the cast does a superb job too! The film itself is what falters, its overly long (even at 100 minutes its pacing feels like a 3 hour slog) and the musicAwkwafina is fantastic, completely worth a watch for her performance alone, and most of the cast does a superb job too! The film itself is what falters, its overly long (even at 100 minutes its pacing feels like a 3 hour slog) and the music choices are oddly disconnected from the tone of the story. Its a very funny film - in the vein of uncomfortable comedy - partially from a cultural perspective - but the music is somber and dour, creating whiplash from scene to scene. Its a film that needs a lighter touch post production, because the performances are the star of the show. Expand
otto1494Jul 14, 2019
This movie was a disappointment, with little of the charm and humor of Crazy Rich Asians.
Stevenw4Aug 30, 2019
One of those long, drawn-out movies where there isn't much to the plot but critics say it is marvelous. Don't waste your money. It's not entertaining. It's not an escape. It's literally like watching a teenage drama student's movie-makingOne of those long, drawn-out movies where there isn't much to the plot but critics say it is marvelous. Don't waste your money. It's not entertaining. It's not an escape. It's literally like watching a teenage drama student's movie-making school project. Expand
keanexSep 2, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed The Farewell because it felt like I was getting an intimate look into a culture that I know little about, from the view a family struggling with a complicated subject. I am quickly pulled into the thick of it, with many endearing and honest scenes. While I enjoyed The Farewell, there was something that kept me from totally enjoying it. This is not the fault of the movie, but more likely a state of mind that I was in that kept me unfocused. I would watch this again to see if I gained more from it. Expand
Compi24Sep 3, 2019
Writer/director Lulu Wang relates the semi-autobiographical story of a family grappling with the ethical trappings behind hiding the news of a terminal cancer diagnosis from the woman with the illness -- the family matriarch. For manyWriter/director Lulu Wang relates the semi-autobiographical story of a family grappling with the ethical trappings behind hiding the news of a terminal cancer diagnosis from the woman with the illness -- the family matriarch. For many reasons, "The Farewell" could've been an absolute barn burner of an emotional journey, but instead we're given the more low-key approach; something that may or may not align with your taste preferences. For my money, I've always preferred films of the more "heart on one's sleeve" persuasion, and while things do broach upon that territory towards the very end, it almost seems like a bit too little given too late. You're also met with an admittedly intriguing moral dilemma that's teased and prodded at throughout the film's running time, but it's one that's almost completely done away with in the film's final moments (which is a moral conundrum in and of itself, considering that it involves one of the more remarkable facts from the actual story behind the film). Overall, "The Farewell" left a bit to be desired for me, but it's not necessarily a watch I want to take back. Expand
gracjanskiFeb 12, 2020
Boring plot with few interestings dialogues. "You have only x months to live"...this story element is so old and stupid. No true doctor is saying that since many years. But for movies...
Very unsympathic main character, only the grandmother
Very unsympathic main character, only the grandmother was funny.
eagleeyevikingFeb 9, 2020
“The Farewell” is a heartbreaking drama which provides insight into family dynamics in the East, that is bolstered by immaculate performances all around. 8.5/10
everettAug 11, 2019
I can't understand why this movie received such high critical reviews. The characters aren't well-drawn (some of them are downright stereotypical), so I didn't especially care about any of them. Not sure what the takeaway was, either. ItI can't understand why this movie received such high critical reviews. The characters aren't well-drawn (some of them are downright stereotypical), so I didn't especially care about any of them. Not sure what the takeaway was, either. It seemed to encourage something that's essentially disrespectful, even - as the film points out - illegal in some countries/cultures. I went to see it hoping for some wisdom re: a situation playing out in real life. Alas. Bottom line: This film is facile at best. I barely managed to make it through. Expand
MarkTakayamaApr 28, 2020
I love it.I really enjoy and think about some differences between Chinese and Japanese culture.The party scene is too long.Otherwise, it is a great movie.
Ejdjski1234Jul 3, 2020
A very heartwarming, yet heartbreaking tale which should of been in the running for many oscars
JLuis_001Nov 15, 2019
I wasn't planning to see a drama today but this one was available and I really wanted to see it, so I said, **** it let's see how it goes.

I admit that I think it received more appreciation than it deserved and it's not that for any reason I'm saying this is a bad film is just that The Farewell is just a simple drama and completely within the norm.

More than one may feel identified with the family dynamics the film portrays although I honestly had some complication with the main point of the narrative because although it has its cultural explanation it seems offensive to hide such news from the person receiving that news. To hide something like that from someone is to deny their own humanity and dignity.

It certainly has its touching and endearing moments although as I said nothing out of the ordinary however I grant it the extra half star because it will certainly make you have a good talk after seeing it and when a film achieves that, it gains my recognition.

And hey, Awkwafina can act.
JokohamaFeb 15, 2020
A simple story but well expressed. The life, the family, and the city in this movie feels alive and realistic.
amheretojudgeOct 31, 2019
This grandma's cookie has a sweet afterthought recipe that you have to be prepared for beforehand.

The Farewell The writer and director Lulu Wang is on mark. To say that she is onto something would be understating things. And I do mean just

The Farewell

The writer and director Lulu Wang is on mark. To say that she is onto something would be understating things. And I do mean just this film and not her work throughout her career. For the film is armed with an extremely powerful script. And if looking at her procedure, her execution of this film, it certainly follows textbook rules efficiently. There might not be any boundaries broken or creativity flared across the screen, but just authenticity is displayed. And if thought about it, her own script doesn't leave anything for her to stretch and celebrate.

The script is beautifully, sharply and almost necessarily edited. Each sequence makes sense, one after the another adds up and lines up fittingly. It flows like it should. If you take out one string of this film, the entire film falls apart. The theme is specifically specific in terms of the situational objections it creates yet, with an incredible set of characters and cast, the branches are important in this tree and they set out arguably one of the finest generic and timely film. It also is said to be funny.

But it isn't funny in the sense that it makes you chuckle. It makes those characters happy and not us. We as an audience are told to be focused on entirely something else. Those sub texted narrative points is where The Farewell makes this emotionally simple and sweet departure so heavy. The Farewell also has this one fine quality that I miss these days. And that is that there is no way you can predict where this is all going. Leading towards. We are sort of like the Nai Nai character in the film. But then it doesn't matter if the elders (the younger in the story and the makers outside the story) says to just tuck it in.
Kirollos-NoahNov 16, 2019
"Based on an actual lie" that quote is capable of making lots of people on board from the very beginning of this film!

The Farewell is written and directed by Lulu Wang, and starring Shuzhen Zhao, Awkwafina and X Mayo. The film follows a

The film follows a Chinese family who, when they discover their beloved Grandmother has only a short while left to live, decide to keep her in the dark and schedule an impromptu wedding to gather before she passes. Billi, feeling like a fish out of water in her home country, struggles with the family's decision to hide the truth from her grandmother.

I wasn't so excited to see The Farewell, I haven't even seen the trailer, but I saw Blu-Ray preview and I thought that this might actually be a good movie, and it was! The Farewell is such a great, beautiful and sweet movie, and what makes this movie really works that it doesn't focus on the farewell only, but it discuses some other cultural themes, and that what makes this movie really works, that it has so many other things to do besides it's main storyline.

The Farewell is beautifully shot, Wang did a great job with this movie, MOST of the movie was shot flawlessly! Each scene was combined with amazing soundtrack, and that made this movie so saddening sometimes, and I guess that was the message from this movie, to discuss a true tradition that Chinese people used/or use to do, and it gets to your heart so quickly, because you kinda feel for them, and Wang directed this movie in a way that will make feel for them so quickly.

You'll find yourself crying at least once during this movie, no matter how tough you're, it's hard not to cry throughout this movie, part of it because of the amazing OST and Wang's amazing long scenes and build up, but most of it because of the acting; everyone in this movie did an amazing job, there're no exception, because everyone did his role perfectly, and they showed emotions like if it was a real life documentary, their acting didn't feel like acting, it was so real and that's why it was so heart-touching!

This movie is not only sad, it was funny from time to time, and that gave the movie an even more realistic theme, because life isn't always sad, even in their situation they found a way to add some laughs, and that worked very well, because a movie like this needs a little bit of a positive energy to move forward, Wand understood that perfectly, and she made a great combination between real-life cultural themes, with some slight humor.

This movie isn't just about the Chinese culture, it's not just relatable to the Chinese people only, though it does that for the most part of this movie, but it also did a great job comparing the Chinese culture to our American culture, it was only shown in a couple of scenes only, but I'm so glad that they did that! Also the movie has some relatable themes, either you are Chinese, or American.. or whatever your nationality is, the movie has something else than those themes too, and I won't spoil it for you, because it wasn't shown in any of the trailers, but what I would say about it is "Home is where the heart is", people who watched this movie will get what I mean, and the movie discusses THAT in a great way, deep and emotional!

The movie's not flawless by any means, don't get me wrong, it's not a perfect movie or anything, we'll get to that in a minute, but a movie like that isn't easy to hate, that's what I would say, so before I get into flaws, if you haven't seen The Farewell go check it out, it definitely worth a look.

When it comes to flaws I think this movie has some dull scenes, for instance there's a scene where Billi and her uncle were walking down the street and he was telling what she should do and what she shouldn't do, and went telling her the same things over and over again, I don't know if it was meant to be funny or not, but it was kinda long.

There's also a scene where the main family was playing games at a wedding, it was also long, and unnecessary... Some other scenes were like this, long and unnecessary scenes, though the movie is 98 minutes only, there're some scenes that could have been cut from the movie, and they're not few for a 98 minutes movie!

The build-up of this movie was well-crafted, the first and the third act were amazingly crafted, but the second act kinda drag a little, it took a few turns that only made the movie longer, and some scenes dull, not the whole act though, but some of it made some unexpected choices.

The Farewell is an amazing movie, well-acted, well-crafted and beautifully shot, it's one of the most memorable movies of 2019, though it's kinda not so rewatchable.

I'm gonna give The Farewell a B+!

Go see movies like this, it's really good to see people making these movie in 2019, instead of all those CGI-filled movies, this movie definitely deserves a look.
MarkHReviewsSep 4, 2019
The true story behind “The Farewell” is nothing short of inspirational. In 2013, writer/director Lulu Wang received the news that her grandmother (“Nai Nai”) had terminal lung cancer and only a few months to live. Her family made theThe true story behind “The Farewell” is nothing short of inspirational. In 2013, writer/director Lulu Wang received the news that her grandmother (“Nai Nai”) had terminal lung cancer and only a few months to live. Her family made the decision not to tell Nai Nai, to save her from the mental anguish of a terminal diagnosis. Instead, the family decided to create an excuse for gathering to say goodbye. They determined that everyone would gather to celebrate the hastily-announced marriage of Wang’s cousin.

For a considerable period of time, Wang pitched her story to producers in both China and the US. All wanted major compromises (Wang’s character should be the bride to add to the drama; unsettling images of “My Big Fat Chinese Wedding” come to mind) that would only distract from Wang’s main story. Eventually, Wang found funding and made the movie she’d wanted to make.

Most of the film was shot over twenty-four days in Changchun, China, in the actual neighborhood of Wang’s grandmother. To add authenticity, these scenes were filmed in Chinese; as a result, 75% of this film is in Mandarin, with English subtitles.

Awkwafina (“Crazy Rich Asians,” “Oceans Eight,” or, for YouTube enthusiasts “My Vag”) is the only actor in the film potentially well-known to American audiences. At every point, Wang chose authenticity over star power. She even cast her own great-aunt to play her grandmother’s sister.

It would be gratifying to report that Wang’s perseverance, thoughtfulness and creative integrity have resulted in an exciting, memorable movie experience. In my opinion that just isn’t the case, although this film was one of the darlings of this year’s Sundance festival. While there is the clear opportunity to confront a major existential question – “Do I want to know if I’m about to die?” – Wang’s script gives the topic scant attention. She focuses instead on the issue of lying to someone you deeply love, but seems equally conflicted and ambivalent on this topic.

Most of all, this film offers little or no real character development. While we’re told that Wang’s character spent several years of her childhood in Nai Nai’s care, there’s no deep exploration of the nature or depth of their relationship. At the end of “The Farewell,” we know very little more about these characters and what animates them than we did when the story began. That said, the restraint, insightfulness and fundamental kindness that animate the film announce Wang as a writer/director worth following. Unfortunately, “The Farewell” is an opportunity missed.
TheRaggedFlygonAug 25, 2019
The Farewell is a powerful film that demonstrates a side of Awkwafina's repertoire that we do not often see-her more dramatic, serious side. She plays the lead role fantastically and is supported by quality performances from the rest of theThe Farewell is a powerful film that demonstrates a side of Awkwafina's repertoire that we do not often see-her more dramatic, serious side. She plays the lead role fantastically and is supported by quality performances from the rest of the cast. While this film's tone is for the most part serious, it does have good comedic beats that are truly funny rather than just your average slapstick comedy. Overall, Lulu Wang is able to carefully walk the fine line between making the movie flat out depressing and making the audience unable to take it seriously through her clever blend of drama and comedy. The plot of this film ultimately takes a unique approach into investigating cultural differences and how said differences affect our familial relationships. This film at the end of the day is about those familial relationships and how they can be strained during times of sadness. You don't have to be Asian or Asian American to find this film relatable or enjoyable. My criticisms of this film are brief and mainly amount to: this film didn't do a whole lot that I haven't seen before. This film is very well crafted from start to finish. The direction, writing, cinematography, and acting are all superb, but at the end of the day I feel that a lot of the messages that this film tries to get across can be found in very similar ways in other films. This film is a must see, but in my opinion is not as revolutionary as some might say. Expand
elmartomedinaNov 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Farewell is a beautiful film with good photography, perfect shots and a detail rarely seen. Lulu Wang manages to capture very close family portraits with humor, emotion and a protagonist in his tender years who constantly questions life and especially the "blessed" family mandates. Expand
Mauro_LanariMay 2, 2020
(Mauro Lanari)
Petulant grandmother all the time, her granddaughter with pout and hump and she too for the whole duration, in the midst of these two one-dimensional protagonists a mediocre ethical dilemma dripping with melodramatic rhetoric.
SirDidymusSep 10, 2019
The Farewell is a superbly crafted piece of cinema that leaves you with a heavy heart and rethinking how you value family.

A-
jared1209Feb 7, 2020
Awkwafina leads this brilliant collaboration between China & America. Funny, heartfelt and beautifully sad. Brilliant direction and the entire Chinese cast is beyond brilliant. Better stoned.
hnestlyontheslyOct 7, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Farewell is based on a radio story by director Lulu Wang first aired on This American Life three years ago... Whenever the trailer played before indie films this summer, I rolled my eyes and assented to hate watching it. But even if I’m two weeks late on reporting for duty, I’m here to sound the horn in favor of this film. It really is an excellent meditation on what it means to live stretched across two cultures, and in addition it’s just generally a genuinely good film about a wedding and all of the emotions of loss and regret and hope that are mixed into these focal points of family.

The film diverges in some important ways from the original radio story, by putting Awkwafina at the center of the story in a way that feels smart and timely, giving voice to the millennial’s cultural struggle in all of its many facets. The original story had Lulu as a sort of audience surrogate but the bulk of the talking came by way of her parents, but by drawing the story’s narrative center to Billi, we get a fresh reinvention of the original storytelling.

Billi’s binational perspective, someone who experiences Chinese culture separate and apart from her ethnic identity only infrequently, is just the sort of character we need more of, stories that have been sorely needed. The lack of information that passes between Billi’s mother and her serves as a nimble metaphor for the disrupted flow of cultural knowledge and experiences, the struggle of maintaining connections and feeling linked to one’s community. Billi must trust that her mother knows best when she’s withholding her in-law’s cancer diagnosis, even as Billi struggles with the fact that in the past her mother has not been forthcoming about other important family matters like her maternal grandfather’s health...

One of the things that I was worried about from the trailer was the way in which this story might be spun to seem like a common trope about the foreignness of Chinese grief, the “unemotional Oriental,” something that any person who has grown up in an Asian family or Asian community like myself bristles at when we see ourselves characterized as such by outsiders. In the trailer we see Billi–hilariously–trying to restrain her emotions, overplaying her poker face in an attempt to abide by her family’s wishes. In a lot of ways this works well in the film generally. Awkwafina is a comic actor and the situation she finds herself in The Farewell is tragicomic. She looks comically uncomfortable playing it straight and serious, the ever-constant slouch much in the same vein as Maya Hawke’s Robin in Stranger Things. If anything, the film does a lot to show how similar China and America are concerning the struggles they have with their emotional impulses, even if their reactions are different...

For all the effort that the characters spend trying to force Billi to choose between China and the US, the film seems, like Billi, to embrace the best qualities in both cultures: the gut-wrenching generosity of a little local church in New York, the food, language, and family ties of China. “They’re different,” Billi insists when her bellhop forcefully tries to persuade her of America’s supremacy, as Billi herself wrestles with the recent disappointment of her rejected fellowship alongside the deteriorating health of her grandmother on her first night back in China. The dinner where Billi’s parents are pitted against relatives, who consider themselves “the Good children” or “the children who stayed,” is an exercise in a new kind of rhetoric when talking about Sino-American culture and the permeable borders between the two countries.

Even the criticism of China takes on a different form than in other films–it’s cannier, subtle, and biting. We have the image of a woman in the corset while all the other men in the room are gambling. The line with all its favoritism and unfairness bundled into a single breath–“We would like the same room”–pins down the injustice at the core of the Chinese experience. At a time when Chinese production houses have more and more influence on the stories being told and more directors of color, especially Chinese directors, are being given the ability tell their stories, it’s important that we have ways to critique and celebrate objectively without being pious. The Farewell does this.

One last important point: Ellen the dog doesn’t figure as prominently in the movie as the trailer leads you to believe, so you need to be prepared for that disappointed. It’s one of the few disappointments of The Farewell.
Mohanad11Nov 2, 2019
Touching, delightful and real.
The farewell is coherent at the level of the scenario and sequence of events...one of the best movies of the year without a doubt.
JordanLaytonApr 28, 2020
This film is a real exercise in subtlety, both in acting and in storytelling. A handful of brief, meaningful moments sprinkled throughout the runtime creates an atmosphere that felt quite close to real life - which was fitting for a filmThis film is a real exercise in subtlety, both in acting and in storytelling. A handful of brief, meaningful moments sprinkled throughout the runtime creates an atmosphere that felt quite close to real life - which was fitting for a film "based on an actual lie". Its a shame that the brilliance of Awkwafina's subtle, but powerful performance here will likely go under the radar for most people (and certain awards groups). The execution of this film makes it feel like an honestly crafted window into Chinese culture. Highly recommended. Expand