A24 | Release Date: July 12, 2019
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 39 Ratings
Watch Now
MetaflixAug 9, 2019
The original title for this post was "'The Farewell' Review: An Angsty Awkwafina Headlines This One Note Song." That was before we noticed that the film currently maintains a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

After seeing that, we had to

After seeing that, we had to take stock of the situation by contemplating whose opinion is closer to being "correct" with regard to judging the overall quality of the movie: ours or mainstream critics.

For comparison, last year's breakout foreign film 'Shoplifters' also maintains a 99% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It won the Palm d'Or at Cannes in addition to 43 other awards around the world. The plot to 'Shoplifters' is wonderfully deep and complex. The acting is superb and the camerawork is among the best of the year.

Alternatively, 'The Farewell' exhibits almost none of those attributes. The plot is rather mundane, we're never given much of a reason to care about any of the characters, and the dialogue is pedestrian, at best.

So we'll leave it to you, film fans, to tell us who you agree with more: us or them. Go see the film, form an opinion, and let us know on social media.
kirkenderJul 29, 2019
Awkwafina is fantastic, completely worth a watch for her performance alone, and most of the cast does a superb job too! The film itself is what falters, its overly long (even at 100 minutes its pacing feels like a 3 hour slog) and the musicAwkwafina is fantastic, completely worth a watch for her performance alone, and most of the cast does a superb job too! The film itself is what falters, its overly long (even at 100 minutes its pacing feels like a 3 hour slog) and the music choices are oddly disconnected from the tone of the story. Its a very funny film - in the vein of uncomfortable comedy - partially from a cultural perspective - but the music is somber and dour, creating whiplash from scene to scene. Its a film that needs a lighter touch post production, because the performances are the star of the show. Expand
otto1494Jul 14, 2019
This movie was a disappointment, with little of the charm and humor of Crazy Rich Asians.
everettAug 11, 2019
I can't understand why this movie received such high critical reviews. The characters aren't well-drawn (some of them are downright stereotypical), so I didn't especially care about any of them. Not sure what the takeaway was, either. ItI can't understand why this movie received such high critical reviews. The characters aren't well-drawn (some of them are downright stereotypical), so I didn't especially care about any of them. Not sure what the takeaway was, either. It seemed to encourage something that's essentially disrespectful, even - as the film points out - illegal in some countries/cultures. I went to see it hoping for some wisdom re: a situation playing out in real life. Alas. Bottom line: This film is facile at best. I barely managed to make it through. Expand