Universal Pictures | Release Date: October 7, 2016
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 243 Ratings
Watch Now
Benkoko11Feb 23, 2017
If it weren't for Emily Blunt's steller performance Tate Taylor's superficial adaptation wouldn't make it out of the station. Even so, it chugs along at a painfully slow pace.
NerdConsultantOct 17, 2016
Girl on the Train is a really intriguing thriller with lots of great characters and great moments, it just had a few niggle moments where it didn’t quite live up to its potential, but from second hand information, fans of the book will get aGirl on the Train is a really intriguing thriller with lots of great characters and great moments, it just had a few niggle moments where it didn’t quite live up to its potential, but from second hand information, fans of the book will get a lot out of this film. I think that’s its problem though, it makes a better book than a film and it doesn’t quite escape those trappings in the medium transfer. It’s not what I would call a massively flawed film and I think a lot of the critics have been harsh on it, but it does have a few things to nit pic over. Still, if you like good thrillers and a good murder mystery plot, this is one I would recommend and I’m really interested to see if my opinion is affected upon a repeat viewing, though judging by the time of this film’s release, I won’t be able to re-watch it before I do my best and worst of the year list. Make no mistake, I would still recommend you see it, even if you haven’t read the book. So in other words it’s a really good interesting film, with a couple of tiny misses that slightly dampen the film as a whole. Expand
3ebfan511Sep 6, 2018
Like a Disney movie meets David Lynch. Lacks the depth, darkness, and subtle mystery of a Lynch film or any solid thriller, instead has a bunch of slow, long...somewhat boring scenes...then an also predictable twist halfway through the filmLike a Disney movie meets David Lynch. Lacks the depth, darkness, and subtle mystery of a Lynch film or any solid thriller, instead has a bunch of slow, long...somewhat boring scenes...then an also predictable twist halfway through the film also lacking compared to most contemporary thrillers. Felt like a lifetime movie as a result and was inferior to any quality film of that genre as a result. Pretty much the most mediocre "thriller" I can remember, a film that took no chances, and seemed to be trying so hard...to be "liked" and appeal to the masses..that they ended up with something that never pushes the envelope, and does pretty much nothing exceptional, new, or interesting. 5/10 quite mediocre. Expand
Ryan_ParkinsonOct 7, 2016
Less Gone Girl, more Fifty Shades of Grey x Before I Go To Sleep.

Less Gone Girl, more Fifty Shades of Grey x Before I Go To Sleep.

What could have been an intensely thrilling film with absorbing character studies ends up hitting with about as much impact as a daytime movie. It's difficult to objectively evaluate it's quality, because its may parts all function to various degrees.

The cast all do stellar work, but the writing and directing never draw enough tension or dread to get you really invested. The film is all shot frustratingly close, never allowing visual character dynamics to shine through and all but eliminating the subtlety of body language. The finale omits a small pop as opposed to the BANG it could have been.

If you wanted to see this film, see it. If you weren't interested by the promotional material, skip it.
CalandriaDec 6, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The girl on the train is a thriller too predictable( i know who was the murder passing the film 30 minutos), than in my opinion the film is too slow, i think that some scenes had left. Expand
BroyaxAug 5, 2018
A la fois polar et thriller, la Fille du train est un film un peu trop souvent monté dans le désordre qui abuse de la mécanique dont on ne doit pas abuser : celle des retours en arrière... Bien sûr, il faut bien ménager le suspense et lesA la fois polar et thriller, la Fille du train est un film un peu trop souvent monté dans le désordre qui abuse de la mécanique dont on ne doit pas abuser : celle des retours en arrière... Bien sûr, il faut bien ménager le suspense et les révélations qui viennent à point à qui sait attendre mais ça commence à faire beaucoup...

Bien qu'on ne s'y ennuie pas à proprement parler, le métrage est assez longuet par ailleurs, ce qui n'aide pas pour autant le démêlage de l'intrigue assez emberlificotée dont le seul but est bien entendu de semer le doute dans l'esprit du spectateur. Il faut dire que des doutes, on en a régulièrement puisque la fille qui prend le train tous les jours est comme Sue Ellen et qu'elle carbure sec.

Le coma éthylique habituel est parfois problématique puisqu'au réveil, c'est le trou noir... Or, lorsqu'une voisine a été tuée, une voisine liée indirectement au psychodrame vécu par Soûle Ellen -Rachel ici- ça peut devenir embêtant. Le personnage de Rachel est en tout cas très intéressant et bien développé, magnifiquement interprété par Emily Blunt qui démontre son grand talent dans un rôle assurément difficile.

Une autre nouvelle -un peu plus nouvelle qu'Emily il me semble- impressionne également, à savoir Rebecca Ferguson qui a déjà un certain âge mais au nombre d'années, on ne regarde pas les dents ou quelque chose comme ça (je n'ai pas fini mon gin vodka tonic allongé au martini, alors je n'ai pas les idées très claires).

La musique de Danny Elfman est assez sympathique et l'ambiance de ces gonzesses qui finissent toutes chez le psy (encore des psychodrames) est assez unique (oui, même le psy est un suspect) ; la fin s'égare un peu trop vers le grand guignol comme c'est trop souvent le cas avec les thrillers... dommage.

Et puis, il semble qu'Emily -enfin, Rachel- ait arrêté de boire mais on en est pas sûr. J'espère qu'elle continue de picoler quand même, car c'est drôle. Un film finalement moyen, un peu trop lourd et balourd pour être honnête malgré soûle Emily jolie, excellente.
spaldjaaexOct 7, 2016
This movie spends the first 3/4 being totally confusing and the last 1/4 being totally obvious. Emily Blount did a great job with mediocre material. The combinations of narratives, action as seen thru various eyes, time frames switchingThis movie spends the first 3/4 being totally confusing and the last 1/4 being totally obvious. Emily Blount did a great job with mediocre material. The combinations of narratives, action as seen thru various eyes, time frames switching back & forth, make it difficult to follow. I've seen better films on Lifetime. Wait for the DVD. Expand
foxgroveNov 5, 2016
Like last year’s ‘Gone Girl’ this book to film adaptation is less accomplished than its original source. Whereas ‘Gone Girl’ was so reverential to the book it failed due to any lack of surprise in the narrative, The Girl on the train,Like last year’s ‘Gone Girl’ this book to film adaptation is less accomplished than its original source. Whereas ‘Gone Girl’ was so reverential to the book it failed due to any lack of surprise in the narrative, The Girl on the train, although less burdened by this issue, is just not as good a story. The film lacks surprises or a distinctive style despite Emily Blunt’s impassioned performance. The screenplay is somewhat muddled in the telling (location shift to New York is the least of the movie’s problems) and some of the lead actors look so alike that further confusion ensues. Ultimately this is a big title that will be forgotten very quickly. Expand
EpicLadySpongeOct 7, 2016
The Girl on the Train represents a dull thriller that isn't surprising in any sort of way. One way to the other, it removes the book's main core of the heart and keeps whatever causes the movie to have a bit of originality.
DaveCritquesOct 7, 2016
Admittedly I didn't read the book on which the film is based, but after viewing the movie, I am extremely thankful for not having wasted my time. I was annoyed and outraged by the film, employing so much talent as it does in the name of anAdmittedly I didn't read the book on which the film is based, but after viewing the movie, I am extremely thankful for not having wasted my time. I was annoyed and outraged by the film, employing so much talent as it does in the name of an over-the-top Shonda Rhimes (which is a redundancy these days) version of a victimization Lifetime movie. I didn't really care about anyone and was, therefore, not drawn into the film. In fact, I grew increasingly uncomfortable because I felt the portrayal of women was outright misogynistic, and the world of NYC commuters like something out of a dystopian nightmare. Guess this kind of pathology sells books, but seems to me to present the absolutely opposite of what we want for our young women in this country. If a man wrote this crap, he be crucified these days -- and rightfully so. Expand
BryceHarperFeb 26, 2018
kinda reminds me of 'Before I go to sleep' or 'Side effect', the problem is, it hasn't outperformed any of those
DirigiblePulpFeb 27, 2017
Emily Blunt is really good in this but she's not believable because of the character she's playing. Without the schlumpy overweight sad-sack of the book there's no reason to believe a woman like Blunt would still be obsessing over some loserEmily Blunt is really good in this but she's not believable because of the character she's playing. Without the schlumpy overweight sad-sack of the book there's no reason to believe a woman like Blunt would still be obsessing over some loser guy unable to move on with her life. I would have liked to see Allison Tolman in this role.

The whole unreliable narrator aspect is the only interesting part of this otherwise it's all overheated nonsense that doesn't come together in a very interesting fashion. Most of it is a staid melodramatic domestic thriller. And it's all kind of sexist. Every woman's issues have to do with baby-related drama and how weak-willed they are when it comes to men.
R6exMay 10, 2017
Mind f*ck! Simple plot messed up with bad and forth timelines. It was well-filmed and well-acted by Emily Blunt and others but in the end, I didn't care about the film. A person with a hectic lifestyle like me just wouldn't sit still longMind f*ck! Simple plot messed up with bad and forth timelines. It was well-filmed and well-acted by Emily Blunt and others but in the end, I didn't care about the film. A person with a hectic lifestyle like me just wouldn't sit still long enough to appreciate this art piece. I stopped caring halfway through the film and fast-forwarded the rest. Not a recommended movie for the restless, though its fine for those with patience and lots of time. Expand
KadeemluvmusicOct 11, 2016
Girl On The Train is fine. Not good, fine. I just felt that the movie shouldn't be as calculating as Gone Girl, but in a movie that is way too short (at about a scant 112 minutes) and too much overblown plot holes and an awkward ending, theGirl On The Train is fine. Not good, fine. I just felt that the movie shouldn't be as calculating as Gone Girl, but in a movie that is way too short (at about a scant 112 minutes) and too much overblown plot holes and an awkward ending, the cast gave it all to take cues from the novel and turn into a cheesey audition of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. But despite a humble grace performance by Ms. Emily Blunt, maybe I'm sure this will give the paying moviegoers a darker more pulverizing experience. I don't think it's grabbing awards straws because it was a disappointing way to start your way in a difficult time. Rent It. Expand
SpangleOct 8, 2016
The Girl on the Train is an alright mystery thriller that feels as if it fully embraces its mediocrity by never attempting to make itself better, but makes little-to-no argument about being worse than average. Starring Emily Blunt as RachelThe Girl on the Train is an alright mystery thriller that feels as if it fully embraces its mediocrity by never attempting to make itself better, but makes little-to-no argument about being worse than average. Starring Emily Blunt as Rachel Watson, a divorced drunk woman who travels the train daily to keep busy, The Girl on the Train is a film with strong acting and an occasionally engaging plot, but far too much filler, lazy writing, a predictable ending, a dreary atmosphere, and is tonally awkward.

As it stands, it is a mildly engaging mystery, but feels far too cold and dreary to be anything spectacular. The darkness overwhelms the overall picture by shrouding it in this dark cloud. Much of this is lent to the film through Rachel's depression over losing her husband, Tom (Justin Theroux) to another woman, Anna (Rebecca Ferguson). The rest of this tone is lent through her depression over being a hopeless drunk who remembers nothing. While I have no problem with dark films, this one is just so overwhelmingly dark throughout, only to then wind up being tonally awkward at the end. When it is revealed that Tom is our killer, the film goes full-on cheese in the way he is killed by Rachel with Anna rubbing the salt in the wound. The entire film is dead serious only then to have a kill on the level of a campy and cheesy horror flick. In a theater full of old couples that murmured nervously when the trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's new film Split played, the audience in my showing LAUGHED. They laughed at the killing of this guy. He is an **** a murderer, an abuser, and an adulterer, but the killing and the spitting on the grave was so over-the-top, the audience found this moment hilarious. For a film that is so serious, having a laughable climax does not work.

What is worse is that there are few clues, if any, to Tom being the killer. It becomes predictable about half way through when it dawns on you that the three woman - Rachel, Anna, and Megan (Haley Bennett) - are our protagonists. The man who connects them all, Tom, is already known to be a cheater. In this world where all men are evil and violent (see: Scott Hipwell (Luke Evans) also being obsessive and abusive) and out to kill women, it becomes clear that this is a story with an ulterior motive. For many, this is Gone Girl redux. Yet, Gone Girl was decidedly not in favor of Rosamund Pike's character. The Girl on the Train keeps trying to make its female leads sympathetic to the audience and ultimately succeeds, which is why they deserved better than this nonsensical ending.

The filler and lazy writing certainly go hand-in-hand, namely through on-the-nose writing (Anna saying she misses being the "other woman", boy do I have good news for you!) and throw away lines (Megan saying she heard that a train would rip your clothes off randomly, maybe a red herring or maybe just a line Tate Taylor liked from the book and decided to use....going to say the latter). Even worse, the film's idea of introducing us to its characters is a short scene followed by their name coming up on the screen. They could not even mention their name to introduce them, instead they just decide to tell you. The filler comes through largely through Megan. I swear Haley Bennett was exclusively naked in this film. Beautiful girl for sure, but damn...can you have a scene where either Justin Theroux or Luke Evans does not have sex with you? Edgar Ramirez resists the temptation, but only through sheer will as Bennett sucks his finger. For a film asking us to sympathize with her, it really should have not made her so adulterous. Scott Hipwell may be a jerk, but jeez...the entire film is just her cheating. The reveal of her dead child was done well, but does feel incredibly extraneous to the overall story. Good emotion and good acting from Bennett, but the film never really justifies its inclusion.

The plotting of The Girl on the Train is incredibly engaging, however. This is occurred largely through Blunt and good writing in this area. Her blackouts, the abuse reveal about Tom, and her general confusion are all handled well. The writing is spotty, but does very well in this area to develop Rachel and her past, which is a major win. Though it felt out-of-place, the development of Megan is also incredible. While there could be less sex scenes, the writers do a good job to develop her and explain why she is who she is to the audience. Still does not justify the cheating, but all the same, good job. The problems with the plotting is that its red herrings are obvious. Moments feel extra, such as confronting the guy she sees on the train who "follows" her one day. From the moment we first see this encounter, it is clear that this scene is a trick to make us assume this random guy is a killer. Instead, he is anything but, which could have been guessed by anybody.
Compi24Oct 11, 2016
Director Tate Taylor's ("The Help," "Get On Up") latest departure from feel good has been getting mixed reviews from critics, with many citing "The Girl On The Train" to be a lesser form of David Fincher's "Gone Girl." Why so many "Gone Girl"Director Tate Taylor's ("The Help," "Get On Up") latest departure from feel good has been getting mixed reviews from critics, with many citing "The Girl On The Train" to be a lesser form of David Fincher's "Gone Girl." Why so many "Gone Girl" comparisons, you ask? Just watch this movie. That's why. This is a film that tries so hard to emulate the 2014 Fincher classic in more ways than its "based on the best selling novel about a missing woman" gimmick. This is a film that tries saying similar -- nay -- almost the exact same things about marriage, human nature, and self-doubt that "Gone Girl" did, but with a flimsier plot, schlockier characters, and a third act that's so bonkers it borders on being Lifetime-TV-movie-esque. This is a film with an interesting PLOT in play, but with regards to how poorly that plot is structured chronologically/logically within the context of this film, it leads me to think that I probably should've read this book rather than see the movie. It's a shame that Emily Blunt's triple-A performance is hampered by this Winchester House of a screenplay. She really made this thing watchable for me. Expand
moviemitch96Oct 19, 2016
Yes I did read the book prior to seeing this one, so forewarned: it may sound a little biased. Anyhow, I just want to straight up say it: It's not worth your time whether you have or haven't read the book. For those such as myself who haveYes I did read the book prior to seeing this one, so forewarned: it may sound a little biased. Anyhow, I just want to straight up say it: It's not worth your time whether you have or haven't read the book. For those such as myself who have read it, many will likely be disappointed and confused at the pointless and unnecessary setting change (from London in the book to New York in the film.) It's also likely to disappoint in the sense that it's simply a bland, almost too straightforward adaptation of the book that just makes it come off as underwhelming. In addition, unlike the book and the somewhat suspenseful and ominous tone it created for me several times as well as the ability for me and other readers to get into the characters' heads and read their thoughts and feelings to keep things interesting, we're unable to do so with the film and we're simply left with all of the actors' blank, halfway emotionless faces for the majority and WAAAYYY too much spouse melodrama and abuse comes into focus in the film as well! Overall, it's undeniably talented cast with the likes of Emily Blunt, Justin Theroux, etc make do with what they're given,but obviously it's not near enough to save the rest of the film. Expand
John935Mar 18, 2017
The good news is it's very watchable. The not-so-good news: it's silly and doesn't make much sense. But, again, to accentuate the positive: I really liked the casting, especially of minor characters. Surprising and great to see Lisa Kudrow,The good news is it's very watchable. The not-so-good news: it's silly and doesn't make much sense. But, again, to accentuate the positive: I really liked the casting, especially of minor characters. Surprising and great to see Lisa Kudrow, Allison Janney, Edgar Ramirez, Laura Prepon even if they don't get much screen time. Actors like these add value. A fun enough movie. Dumb but fun. Expand
MattBrady99Dec 31, 2016
So I watched "The Girl on the Train" back in October. Why I'm reviewing it now? That will stay unknown.

This isn't really a review of any sort, but what I got from this and the main Plot Keywords. And that is: Men are evil Women are

Men are evil

Train

A predicable ending

And Gone Girl did it better (somehow
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
Mixed bag. The performance by Emily Blunt is fantastic, but the film itself doesn't hold up to her performance. The movie kinda felt like a glorified Lifetime movie. The movie did have some good parts with some of the tension and mystery toMixed bag. The performance by Emily Blunt is fantastic, but the film itself doesn't hold up to her performance. The movie kinda felt like a glorified Lifetime movie. The movie did have some good parts with some of the tension and mystery to it, but you won't remember the movie for too long. Expand
Rebecca31Oct 12, 2016
This clearly isn't the same movie than the one being sold in the trailer, it's good but underwhelming, I enjoyed it yet wouldn't watch it again but it did make me want to read the book. I won't talk about the twist everyone keeps going onThis clearly isn't the same movie than the one being sold in the trailer, it's good but underwhelming, I enjoyed it yet wouldn't watch it again but it did make me want to read the book. I won't talk about the twist everyone keeps going on about, all I'll say is it's shocking and then again it isn't. Emily Blunt is just terrific, the casting for everyone was spot on and is what makes this movie good. Recommended. Expand
lucbevibrasilNov 8, 2016
The Girl on the Train is a movie that has everything going for it. In addition to her competent script, the trio female protagonist is phenomenal, all entering into great characters and delivering faithful interpretations. The biggest problemThe Girl on the Train is a movie that has everything going for it. In addition to her competent script, the trio female protagonist is phenomenal, all entering into great characters and delivering faithful interpretations. The biggest problem with the movie is the director. Tate Taylor is a spectacular director, but misses this movie. Be it in its frames, bad coordination of flashbacks and Tate's obvious difficulty to transition from drama to suspense, it fails and compromises the whole Project. Expand
Muskrat147Oct 9, 2016
Even with Emily Blunt's incredible performance and an interesting story, The Girl On the Train can't be saved from it's poor direction, lousy writing, and strange translation from the book to the screen.
MasterRileyAug 1, 2019
The Girl on the Train is far too complicated to be enjoyable on its first viewing. It only begins to make coherent sense by the end of the film, which is also where it begins to get somewhat interesting. But because the first majority of theThe Girl on the Train is far too complicated to be enjoyable on its first viewing. It only begins to make coherent sense by the end of the film, which is also where it begins to get somewhat interesting. But because the first majority of the movie is so bland in comparison its not really worth a second watch. Expand
Frippisland77Oct 9, 2016
Knowing this was going to be a psychological thriller, I wasn't that impressed. I thought Emily Blunt portrayed her character very well. People keep comparing it to "Gone Girl". I saw no comparison. For the first hour, it was almost boring. IKnowing this was going to be a psychological thriller, I wasn't that impressed. I thought Emily Blunt portrayed her character very well. People keep comparing it to "Gone Girl". I saw no comparison. For the first hour, it was almost boring. I knew what was going to to happen because I read the book. Having said that, I would wait for it to come on demand. Expand
dspratlinNov 19, 2016
What it’s about?

People learn to regret living by train lines. What did I think? I’ve read the book. I knew how the story would unfold. But half an hour in, it became clear the moral grey areas were off limits. Rachel’s more repugnant
What it’s about?

People learn to regret living by train lines.

What did I think?

I’ve read the book. I knew how the story would unfold. But half an hour in, it became clear the moral grey areas were off limits. Rachel’s more repugnant actions were omitted, and the development of other characters suffered as a result.

Emily Blunt does well with her portrayal of Rachel and Danny Elfman’s score was spot-on, but in the end, the film felt like a thought-provoking study of alcoholism rather than a thrilling mystery.
MatthewAkalusiJan 24, 2017
The movie is about three women Rachel, Anna and Megan whose lives are interconnected. Rachel, the main character, is divorced, an experience which is taking a serious toll on her emotionally. She has a serious problem with alcoholism. A lotThe movie is about three women Rachel, Anna and Megan whose lives are interconnected. Rachel, the main character, is divorced, an experience which is taking a serious toll on her emotionally. She has a serious problem with alcoholism. A lot of the movie is told in flashback and going over events preceding certain scenes, with a story largely revolving around Rachel's daily train commute. This is a psychological thriller that tries too hard to be one, with plot lines around the three women which are too disparate and a twist at the end that underwhelms. Expand