Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 7, 1985
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 157 Ratings
Watch Now
SpangleAug 7, 2013
Eh, it was alright I guess. Certainly a film directed more at kids than adults, the Goonies certainly provides some laughs and thrills along the way, but not enough to really make it worth your time. It honestly feels like a children'sEh, it was alright I guess. Certainly a film directed more at kids than adults, the Goonies certainly provides some laughs and thrills along the way, but not enough to really make it worth your time. It honestly feels like a children's version of Indiana Jones with worse acting. Expand
CooperReviews44Dec 3, 2018
This movie is plenty fun, and very funny as well. Sure some of the cast does a pretty rough job and there is a lot of "kid humor" but it is still a pleasure to watch. The story is entertaining enough, the characters are great, and the pureThis movie is plenty fun, and very funny as well. Sure some of the cast does a pretty rough job and there is a lot of "kid humor" but it is still a pleasure to watch. The story is entertaining enough, the characters are great, and the pure straight fun and attitude of the film is enough to carry it. A very good film while certainly not perfect. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 27, 2010
This is what you'll really enjoy
ZilcellMay 29, 2012
This is truly a great kids film and great family film. The clever usage of the plot is what will really capture your attention. If not that then the great characters, bits of action, and bits of comedy will catch your eye.
ZegilgameshDec 28, 2012
This may be the most accurate portrayal of children in cinema, and the laughs are hard to deny. THe cast is energized, the plot feels fresh, and the adventure is grand and will satisfy all.
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
This is a majorly classic adventure film! This is the kind of film that every young kid sees and wishes that they were in that group of kids- the film is SO entertaining and has a wonderful script and is totally original. A classic in everyThis is a majorly classic adventure film! This is the kind of film that every young kid sees and wishes that they were in that group of kids- the film is SO entertaining and has a wonderful script and is totally original. A classic in every way and entertaining in every way. LOVE THIS FILM! Expand
snoopsMar 3, 2012
This film is SO annoying! Why won't these damn kids stop shouting? I actually got a headache from watching it. I may have felt the charm other people have been feeling from the film if everyone wasn't so annoying...
DirpytheswagJan 17, 2016
I spent the entirety of the movie questioning my basic beliefs and whether I really value living anymore. The story was everywhere things "just happened". Sure this is considered a "classic" but the whole thing was one, hardly funny, mindf**k.
JYTJun 10, 2012
Please stop showing the Goonies on TV. It is a ridiculous movie for young children exited by a birthday party or xmas and high on sugar rush. The story and characters are not interesting. It contains too much imbecility.
StevenFSep 11, 2013
The Goonies manages to make a lot of things happen in just under two hours, we have an interesting cast of characters and even better actors and actresses playing them, a true classic film with a fantasy tale of pirates and treasures, settingThe Goonies manages to make a lot of things happen in just under two hours, we have an interesting cast of characters and even better actors and actresses playing them, a true classic film with a fantasy tale of pirates and treasures, setting a group of misfits kids, or "Goonies" on an adventure that only your parents could tell you about in a bedtime story. We have familiar faces in Josh Brolin and Sam Astin in their much younger days, the latter playing young Mikey, a kid with breathing problems who talks fast and seems to be the level headed one of the bunch, until he begins to start chasing treasure in the hope finding something to save his town, which is about to be demolished. His older brother Brand, played by Brolin, loves his brother but doesn't agree with his childish adventures, but Mikey and his friends manage to embark on their adventure in a very accidental way, unearthing secrets they never imagined before. A series of traps and willpower test these young explorers as they dig deeper into centuries old secrets. The standout of his friends is the larger than life Chunk, probably named for his larger size, but Jeff Cohen delivers a hilarious and energetic performance as this talkative, annoying and always hungry character, he brings a wonderful sense if playfulness and young shenanigans to the film, something that's missing from the "kid-friendly" films of today, but it isn't all innocent. There are different themes throughout the film, that border between adventure and even horror, Steven Spielberg has created a piece that entices the viewer but is really there to enjoy, I suppose it comes down to trying to recapture youth in the most exhilarating of ways, the kids are chased by the notorious Fratellis, a family of criminals who happen upon the same plan, this provides another dose of comic value, it's also interesting that it brings back the nostalgic notion that every character within a group in a film has some sort of use, the one who is afraid, the strong one, smart one, techie one and the stud, it's a nice touch that doesn't really happen anymore and gives a real sense of purpose and reason to be there.
This is a true adventure and has the Spielberg effect of epic touch and a perfect score, the performances of the young cast are exceptional, letting their imaginations run wild and having one last blowout before the next stage in their life, they are foul-mouthed and mischievous, they are children.
NecromusJan 3, 2013
I remember really liking this movie when I originally saw it as a kid. Watching it again as an adult I was surprised to find that it is actually still quite enjoyable to watch. Unlike most of the adventure movies these days that blow all theI remember really liking this movie when I originally saw it as a kid. Watching it again as an adult I was surprised to find that it is actually still quite enjoyable to watch. Unlike most of the adventure movies these days that blow all the money on expensive special effects and ignore everything else, this movie is great because of the decent story and good directing. A great movie for the whole family to watch. Expand
Rox22Sep 15, 2013
Like many, this movie has a sacred place in my childhood. Everytime I watch the Goonies, I am filled with Nostalgic glee.

But, nostalgia aside, it is a very average adventure movie that has not aged well. This type of movie may have been magical in the 80s, but today, it comes across as a bit too much as a "for kids" movie.

Overall:
Regardless of my modern interpretation, I still adore this movie. I know everything that is wrong with it and know what it is, but I don't care. It is, and always will be. a treasured movie.
survivorfan989Jan 14, 2013
Even though I didn't see this until around the late 90's this is definitely a favourite of mine from my childhood, and it is still a great film today. It's a very adventurous film following a group of kids looking for treasure, and there areEven though I didn't see this until around the late 90's this is definitely a favourite of mine from my childhood, and it is still a great film today. It's a very adventurous film following a group of kids looking for treasure, and there are enough high's to keep the movie flowing and to keep you interested. Acting is great, especially from the talented young cast, as are the well-written characters. Overall a highly enjoyable 80's kids flick that children of today would still enjoy! Expand
lukechristianscApr 12, 2014
"the goonies is the wonderful adventure movie". the comedy sucks . but the story is bigger , marvelous .
Grade A-. ....................................
Gina_HJul 9, 2014
I will never betray my Goon Dock friends.
We will stick together until the whole world ends. Through heaven and hell, and nuclear
war, good pals like us we stick like tar. In the city, or the country, or the forest, or boonies, I am
I will never betray my Goon Dock friends.
I am proudly declared one of the goonies!
EpicLadySpongeFeb 13, 2016
This movie's getting overrated for television anyways. I don't care if Steven Spielberg's part of it... just please stop airing on TV a lot. If you have a DVD, VHS, LaserDisc, or Blu-ray copy of the Goonies, don't turn on the TV to see this.
veggiesAug 13, 2016
I have a few bones to pick with this movie, first, I want to state that this is in no way a bad movie, I just don't belive it is as good as some people belive it to be, so with anymore delay my opinion, I did not find this movies jokes to beI have a few bones to pick with this movie, first, I want to state that this is in no way a bad movie, I just don't belive it is as good as some people belive it to be, so with anymore delay my opinion, I did not find this movies jokes to be very funny, this is may be because I find somethings funny others don't but it's my opinion, also, some of the characters where pointless and there were too many main characters, I can't even remeber the name of the blondehaired girl because she served no other perpous than to be a love intrest for Mouth. Then there is the matter of the acting, some characters where portraied very nicely, like Chuck, he was very entertaining, but other characters, like Data, where hard to watch, understand, or relate too. I had to relay on what the other characters said to get what he was saying. And finally the pacing of the movie, particularly at the end, the characters felt rushed into certain situations to advance the plot, and with the lack of any clue to as what is going on until 3/4ths the way through the movie really hurts to what could have been one of my favorite movies. If this is one of you're favorite movies, more power to you for seeing something in this movie I couldn't. Expand
Truth_of_PiscesMay 22, 2018
Just watched this film for the first time. I was born in 91' and throughout the 90s I saw plenty of good movies from the 80s as a kid. Never saw this one, and that is probably why I have say...I don't get the hype for this. I fail to see howJust watched this film for the first time. I was born in 91' and throughout the 90s I saw plenty of good movies from the 80s as a kid. Never saw this one, and that is probably why I have say...I don't get the hype for this. I fail to see how it's regarded as one of "the greatest movies of all time" as I've heard quite a few people hail it. I mean, I can see how a lot of people who grew up around the time of the movies release might appreciate it for what it is, but as of 2018 at 27 years old, I've seen this movie done multiple times and done much better. The only thing this movie did for me was make me appreciate Stranger Things more, and both the original "It" tv series and the 2017 "It", even E.T. resonated with me more than this and I haven't seen that particular film in years. Now, The Goonies isn't a bad film by any means, but it's certainly not the mega hit that was talked up to me by so many. Maybe, I'm just a millennial, but I honestly can't see myself watching this again. Expand
FilipeNetoFeb 12, 2018
Entertainment for the whole family.

Entertainment for the whole family.

This film tells one of the adventures of the Goonies, a group of young children living in Goon Docks. In order to try to save their homes from real estate interests, the Goonies decided to find a treasure of a pirate using a map they have found. Directed by Richard Donner, this film has a script by Chris Columbos based on a story by Steven Spielberg, and the cast is entirely made up of young stars still little known to the public at the time.

An excellent comedy mixed with Italian gangsters and pepperoni pizza, this film was seen for many young people in the following years, and allowed to them to feel the magic of the treasure hunts, pirates and adventures (in that time, the pirate movies was an out of fashion genre). Perhaps this is the reason why this film became a cult classic and has been seen and appreciated for generations to date. And its well deserved, since there are no negative notes in this film. Its a guarantee of laughter and family entertainment.
TyranianApr 9, 2019
Fairly fun kids flick though it has aged a bit. Speaks of a better time to be a kid.
powerdegreFeb 22, 2013
This is the film that perfectly sums up everything we loved as kids, and the day I'll have kids I'll make sure they'll watch it with me.

It balances and mixes together all the myths we loved, you have pirates, the treasure hunt, mafia bad guys, some horror and, most of all, a nice tale of friendship facing together the difficulties.

This is a kid's film and that does well, it delivers adventure.
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Funny characters like "Mouth" and "Chunk" extended the hilarity of this movie. The plot was just a smidge corny but nonetheless was charming and whimsical.
DuckNationMay 30, 2014
The Goonies is a wonderful adventure tale set to thrill kids and without of a doubt my favorite kids movie of all time sorry Toy Story. Every time i watch this movie i get such a nostalgia rush, i remember watching it all time when i wasThe Goonies is a wonderful adventure tale set to thrill kids and without of a doubt my favorite kids movie of all time sorry Toy Story. Every time i watch this movie i get such a nostalgia rush, i remember watching it all time when i was young its one of those movies that you can watch over and over and never get tired of it. Honestly though im not even sure how many times I've watched this movie i would have to say that its between this and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the most times I've watched a movie but if i had to put a number on it though id have to say over 100 times. Richard Donner has always been one of my favorite directors with such films as Superman (1978), the Lethal Weapon movies, and Scrooged, he was one of the directors who's movies i watch a lot of growing up. Now i know people will disagree with me but i think The Goonies is his best movie.

The movie follows a group of four young friends who live in the "Goon Docks" and call themselves "The Goonies" Mikey (Sean Astin) the leader of the group, Mouth (Corey Feldman) the smart aleck, Chunk (Jeff Cohen) the funny fat kid, and Data (Jonathan Ke Quan) the groups macgyver. They all are in danger of losing their homes and the only way to save them is to pay a serious amount of money which none of them have. Bored and sad they decide to go looking around in Mikey's dads off limits attic for 'rich stuff' they soon stumble upon a really old treasure map which was once the property of the pirate One-Eyed Willie's. Mikey tries to persuade his friends to go looking after it but they don't seem all that interested, eventually the group decides to go looking for it while disobeying Mikey's older brother Brand (Josh Brolin) rule to stay inside.

From here we see the group of friends find their way into One-Eyed Willie's cavern filled with tons of deadly booby traps but not before catching the attention of a criminal family the Fratellis that now after capturing Chunk know all about the treasure. The craven part is where most of the movie fun comes from, it feels like a more childish Indiana Jones which i know some don't like i on the other hand loved it. Seriously though What did they expect did they not know that Spielberg wrote the story for it kinda hard not to know seeing that his name is the first one to pop up on screen. The group having had a few encounters with the Fratellis at this point finally out run them and find there way to One-Eyed Willie's hidden treasure where they load up with as much gold, gems, and pretty much anything else they possibly can get their hands on only to be caught by the Fratellis and forced to hand it all over to them. The group makes a getaway when Chunk with the help of Sloth(the Fratellis disfigured brother who they horribly mistreat) come to save the day. Mikey still sad they didn't get any treasure forgets that he put some gems inside his marble bag and when his family's maid looks through it she flips out and gives it to them so they don't have to leave to Goon Docks.

Overall i give it a solid 10 my score might be skewed for this movie but like i said i used to watch it all the time when i was a kid and loved it but also the fact that its based in Oregon my home state. I was actually in Astoria (the town the movies based in) just last week and went up to see the house and area for the first time and i absolutely loved it.
TimeOfTheChimpsMar 19, 2015
The Goonies still holds up on re-watches even after all these years. With excellent acting and a plot that's truly heartwarming and amazing, in true Spielberg fashion, how could I rate this anything lower than a 10?
KovacsBowmanJun 3, 2014
The Goonies will satisfy most children’s need for fun and adventure in a film, just like the Pirates of the Caribbean films do now.

Although a little dated you cannot help but laugh and chuckle your way through this film, yes its cliche of the 80's coming of age films. But with strong characters and a great cast this surely is a film worth dusting off every so often. I shall certainly be showing this film to my daughter when she is old enough.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
The Goonies is a classic adventure movie that follows a group of young friends as they try to find the treasure of One Eyed Willy. Good comedy, casting and entertaining performances make this an 80s classic you don't want to miss.
KingofdanerdsNov 10, 2016
To be honest this is one of my favorite movies. I mean who does not want to be in their shoes. I mean pirate ships, caves, being chased by criminals, and of course Sloth.The movie also had a good soundtrack. (My favorite song being Goonies RTo be honest this is one of my favorite movies. I mean who does not want to be in their shoes. I mean pirate ships, caves, being chased by criminals, and of course Sloth.The movie also had a good soundtrack. (My favorite song being Goonies R Good Enough). 10/10 Expand
BroyaxMar 14, 2019
Je sais que c'est un film pour les chiards mais tout de même, ça n'avait pas besoin d'être aussi golmon et aussi bas de plafond... on se cogne la tête régulièrement dans ce qui constitue une mongolerie de tous les instants pour mongolos enJe sais que c'est un film pour les chiards mais tout de même, ça n'avait pas besoin d'être aussi golmon et aussi bas de plafond... on se cogne la tête régulièrement dans ce qui constitue une mongolerie de tous les instants pour mongolos en bas âge de de bas étage.

Et ça dure presque deux plombes, l'air de rien : ça fait beaucoup de temps et de baillements à suivre ces **** cons sans s'endormir. Mais le danger avec une merde pareille n'est pas de retomber en enfance mais de devenir con-plètement idiot. Ou autiste. D'ailleurs, qu'en pense Rain Man ? est-ce que le film est en première base ?

Il faudrait demander à son pote le Huitième Jour pour con-firmer. Bah, encore un débat d'infirmes. Allez, les gogols, on retourne acheter des danses à Fortnite ! vous pouvez reprendre une activité normale.
MonkeyboysteveMay 17, 2017
This is one of the all time great family movies, the 80s was easily one of the best decades for cinema. There is a reason this film is fondly remembered over 30 years later, I honestly don't understand how anyone can vote this a 1 or 2?
Dragonfly44Oct 11, 2018
It may not be the best, but it is most certainly one of the most enjoyable movies I’ve ever seen. Rating - 85%
wukaszOct 21, 2018
This film was quite fun to watch.

This film was quite fun to watch.

On one hand, it felt like a kid's adventure film, with the goofy plot, quirky, caricature defining characters, ridiculous turns of events and pretty much non-stop action; on the other, it was full of dark scenes, scary settings, adult references. As long as you are willing a lot of dumber moments in the film be, it's a great, fun viewing.

The plot itself seems like nothing special today, but rather than itself being cliche, it's the Goonies that influenced the armada of films that make the plot so predictable.

The characters sometimes feel like they are quite useless and that the plot could do away with few of them, as they only seem to exist for the sake of existing. It sometimes leads to quite loud scenes in which it's harder to discern to what we should pay attention. The quick changes in focus between characters make some scenes somewhat inconsequential. That said, the prominent characters really pop out with their quirky gimmicks, theatrical acting and how they set themselves apart from the rest.

This film is a fairy tale dressed as an adventure film. Besides being a fresh breath of creativity in my recent film viewing, it's a lighthearted film, I believe almost anyone could enjoy.
antoinemichelinNov 14, 2018
The goonies is one of the best Spielberg movies ever! It doesn't deserve such a bad rating!
Steven1981Mar 18, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Goonies is a 1980's film about kids searching for pirates treasure to stop them losing their homes. A group of about 5 kids go hunting for treasure, accompanied by 2 girls and the gang are all friends. They are hunted by a criminal gang called The Fratelli's who recently escaped from prison. Not a great film but okay but kids will enjoy it more than adults will but all in all not my kind of film. Expand