Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 7, 1985
Generally favorable reviews based on 188 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
SpangleAug 7, 2013
Eh, it was alright I guess. Certainly a film directed more at kids than adults, the Goonies certainly provides some laughs and thrills along the way, but not enough to really make it worth your time. It honestly feels like a children'sEh, it was alright I guess. Certainly a film directed more at kids than adults, the Goonies certainly provides some laughs and thrills along the way, but not enough to really make it worth your time. It honestly feels like a children's version of Indiana Jones with worse acting. Expand
FaxthtaxAug 23, 2020
Understandable if nostalgics gives this full score.
But honestly, it is a product of the 80´s, and it shows. It has sadly not stood the test of time very well on pretty much every level: Acting, script, cheap practical-effects and story.
Understandable if nostalgics gives this full score.
Watching it again was a let down that i should never have done. The movie was almost a pain to relive again, the constant shouting from every child-actor from start to finish almost gave me a headache.
The story is silly and simplified- and at some point dumb, and the script is horrendously flat and unimaginative.
If you saw it in the 80´s, leave it as a memory and never watch it again is my advice.
I am surprised this movie has not been remade by Hollywood yet, probably because of its simple story that offers nothing to the more demanding audiences today.
CooperReviews44Dec 3, 2018
This movie is plenty fun, and very funny as well. Sure some of the cast does a pretty rough job and there is a lot of "kid humor" but it is still a pleasure to watch. The story is entertaining enough, the characters are great, and the pureThis movie is plenty fun, and very funny as well. Sure some of the cast does a pretty rough job and there is a lot of "kid humor" but it is still a pleasure to watch. The story is entertaining enough, the characters are great, and the pure straight fun and attitude of the film is enough to carry it. A very good film while certainly not perfect. Expand
Rox22Sep 15, 2013
Like many, this movie has a sacred place in my childhood. Everytime I watch the Goonies, I am filled with Nostalgic glee.

But, nostalgia aside, it is a very average adventure movie that has not aged well. This type of movie may have been magical in the 80s, but today, it comes across as a bit too much as a "for kids" movie.

Overall:
Regardless of my modern interpretation, I still adore this movie. I know everything that is wrong with it and know what it is, but I don't care. It is, and always will be. a treasured movie.
MovieLonely94Oct 27, 2010
This is what you'll really enjoy
ZilcellMay 29, 2012
This is truly a great kids film and great family film. The clever usage of the plot is what will really capture your attention. If not that then the great characters, bits of action, and bits of comedy will catch your eye.
ZegilgameshDec 28, 2012
This may be the most accurate portrayal of children in cinema, and the laughs are hard to deny. THe cast is energized, the plot feels fresh, and the adventure is grand and will satisfy all.
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
This is a majorly classic adventure film! This is the kind of film that every young kid sees and wishes that they were in that group of kids- the film is SO entertaining and has a wonderful script and is totally original. A classic in everyThis is a majorly classic adventure film! This is the kind of film that every young kid sees and wishes that they were in that group of kids- the film is SO entertaining and has a wonderful script and is totally original. A classic in every way and entertaining in every way. LOVE THIS FILM! Expand
johnboonNov 24, 2020
In my Top 100 worst movies bucket list. If you like endless slapstick, you'll love it. It's got upside-down dicks, a Ventolin-inhaler, a deformed idiot, a girl with broken glasses on accidentally kissing a boy with braces. Oh what jolly fun.
snoopsMar 3, 2012
This film is SO annoying! Why won't these damn kids stop shouting? I actually got a headache from watching it. I may have felt the charm other people have been feeling from the film if everyone wasn't so annoying...
DirpytheswagJan 17, 2016
I spent the entirety of the movie questioning my basic beliefs and whether I really value living anymore. The story was everywhere things "just happened". Sure this is considered a "classic" but the whole thing was one, hardly funny, mindf**k.
JYTJun 10, 2012
Please stop showing the Goonies on TV. It is a ridiculous movie for young children exited by a birthday party or xmas and high on sugar rush. The story and characters are not interesting. It contains too much imbecility.
StevenFSep 11, 2013
The Goonies manages to make a lot of things happen in just under two hours, we have an interesting cast of characters and even better actors and actresses playing them, a true classic film with a fantasy tale of pirates and treasures, settingThe Goonies manages to make a lot of things happen in just under two hours, we have an interesting cast of characters and even better actors and actresses playing them, a true classic film with a fantasy tale of pirates and treasures, setting a group of misfits kids, or "Goonies" on an adventure that only your parents could tell you about in a bedtime story. We have familiar faces in Josh Brolin and Sam Astin in their much younger days, the latter playing young Mikey, a kid with breathing problems who talks fast and seems to be the level headed one of the bunch, until he begins to start chasing treasure in the hope finding something to save his town, which is about to be demolished. His older brother Brand, played by Brolin, loves his brother but doesn't agree with his childish adventures, but Mikey and his friends manage to embark on their adventure in a very accidental way, unearthing secrets they never imagined before. A series of traps and willpower test these young explorers as they dig deeper into centuries old secrets. The standout of his friends is the larger than life Chunk, probably named for his larger size, but Jeff Cohen delivers a hilarious and energetic performance as this talkative, annoying and always hungry character, he brings a wonderful sense if playfulness and young shenanigans to the film, something that's missing from the "kid-friendly" films of today, but it isn't all innocent. There are different themes throughout the film, that border between adventure and even horror, Steven Spielberg has created a piece that entices the viewer but is really there to enjoy, I suppose it comes down to trying to recapture youth in the most exhilarating of ways, the kids are chased by the notorious Fratellis, a family of criminals who happen upon the same plan, this provides another dose of comic value, it's also interesting that it brings back the nostalgic notion that every character within a group in a film has some sort of use, the one who is afraid, the strong one, smart one, techie one and the stud, it's a nice touch that doesn't really happen anymore and gives a real sense of purpose and reason to be there.
This is a true adventure and has the Spielberg effect of epic touch and a perfect score, the performances of the young cast are exceptional, letting their imaginations run wild and having one last blowout before the next stage in their life, they are foul-mouthed and mischievous, they are children.
NecromusJan 3, 2013
I remember really liking this movie when I originally saw it as a kid. Watching it again as an adult I was surprised to find that it is actually still quite enjoyable to watch. Unlike most of the adventure movies these days that blow all theI remember really liking this movie when I originally saw it as a kid. Watching it again as an adult I was surprised to find that it is actually still quite enjoyable to watch. Unlike most of the adventure movies these days that blow all the money on expensive special effects and ignore everything else, this movie is great because of the decent story and good directing. A great movie for the whole family to watch. Expand
survivorfan989Jan 14, 2013
Even though I didn't see this until around the late 90's this is definitely a favourite of mine from my childhood, and it is still a great film today. It's a very adventurous film following a group of kids looking for treasure, and there areEven though I didn't see this until around the late 90's this is definitely a favourite of mine from my childhood, and it is still a great film today. It's a very adventurous film following a group of kids looking for treasure, and there are enough high's to keep the movie flowing and to keep you interested. Acting is great, especially from the talented young cast, as are the well-written characters. Overall a highly enjoyable 80's kids flick that children of today would still enjoy! Expand
lukechristianscApr 12, 2014
"the goonies is the wonderful adventure movie". the comedy sucks . but the story is bigger , marvelous .
Grade A-. ....................................
Gina_HJul 9, 2014
I will never betray my Goon Dock friends.
We will stick together until the whole world ends. Through heaven and hell, and nuclear
war, good pals like us we stick like tar. In the city, or the country, or the forest, or boonies, I am
I will never betray my Goon Dock friends.
I am proudly declared one of the goonies!
EpicLadySpongeFeb 13, 2016
This movie's getting overrated for television anyways. I don't care if Steven Spielberg's part of it... just please stop airing on TV a lot. If you have a DVD, VHS, LaserDisc, or Blu-ray copy of the Goonies, don't turn on the TV to see this.
veggiesAug 13, 2016
I have a few bones to pick with this movie, first, I want to state that this is in no way a bad movie, I just don't belive it is as good as some people belive it to be, so with anymore delay my opinion, I did not find this movies jokes to beI have a few bones to pick with this movie, first, I want to state that this is in no way a bad movie, I just don't belive it is as good as some people belive it to be, so with anymore delay my opinion, I did not find this movies jokes to be very funny, this is may be because I find somethings funny others don't but it's my opinion, also, some of the characters where pointless and there were too many main characters, I can't even remeber the name of the blondehaired girl because she served no other perpous than to be a love intrest for Mouth. Then there is the matter of the acting, some characters where portraied very nicely, like Chuck, he was very entertaining, but other characters, like Data, where hard to watch, understand, or relate too. I had to relay on what the other characters said to get what he was saying. And finally the pacing of the movie, particularly at the end, the characters felt rushed into certain situations to advance the plot, and with the lack of any clue to as what is going on until 3/4ths the way through the movie really hurts to what could have been one of my favorite movies. If this is one of you're favorite movies, more power to you for seeing something in this movie I couldn't. Expand
Truth_of_PiscesMay 22, 2018
Just watched this film for the first time. I was born in 91' and throughout the 90s I saw plenty of good movies from the 80s as a kid. Never saw this one, and that is probably why I have say...I don't get the hype for this. I fail to see howJust watched this film for the first time. I was born in 91' and throughout the 90s I saw plenty of good movies from the 80s as a kid. Never saw this one, and that is probably why I have say...I don't get the hype for this. I fail to see how it's regarded as one of "the greatest movies of all time" as I've heard quite a few people hail it. I mean, I can see how a lot of people who grew up around the time of the movies release might appreciate it for what it is, but as of 2018 at 27 years old, I've seen this movie done multiple times and done much better. The only thing this movie did for me was make me appreciate Stranger Things more, and both the original "It" tv series and the 2017 "It", even E.T. resonated with me more than this and I haven't seen that particular film in years. Now, The Goonies isn't a bad film by any means, but it's certainly not the mega hit that was talked up to me by so many. Maybe, I'm just a millennial, but I honestly can't see myself watching this again. Expand
FilipeNetoFeb 12, 2018
Entertainment for the whole family.

Entertainment for the whole family.

This film tells one of the adventures of the Goonies, a group of young children living in Goon Docks. In order to try to save their homes from real estate interests, the Goonies decided to find a treasure of a pirate using a map they have found. Directed by Richard Donner, this film has a script by Chris Columbos based on a story by Steven Spielberg, and the cast is entirely made up of young stars still little known to the public at the time.

An excellent comedy mixed with Italian gangsters and pepperoni pizza, this film was seen for many young people in the following years, and allowed to them to feel the magic of the treasure hunts, pirates and adventures (in that time, the pirate movies was an out of fashion genre). Perhaps this is the reason why this film became a cult classic and has been seen and appreciated for generations to date. And its well deserved, since there are no negative notes in this film. Its a guarantee of laughter and family entertainment.
TyranianApr 9, 2019
Fairly fun kids flick though it has aged a bit. Speaks of a better time to be a kid.
powerdegreFeb 22, 2013
This is the film that perfectly sums up everything we loved as kids, and the day I'll have kids I'll make sure they'll watch it with me.

It balances and mixes together all the myths we loved, you have pirates, the treasure hunt, mafia bad guys, some horror and, most of all, a nice tale of friendship facing together the difficulties.

This is a kid's film and that does well, it delivers adventure.
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Funny characters like "Mouth" and "Chunk" extended the hilarity of this movie. The plot was just a smidge corny but nonetheless was charming and whimsical.
gracjanskiJan 12, 2021
an entertaining movie for kids. So expect simple humour and story. I switched it off after less than 30 minutes.
TimeOfTheChimpsMar 19, 2015
The Goonies still holds up on re-watches even after all these years. With excellent acting and a plot that's truly heartwarming and amazing, in true Spielberg fashion, how could I rate this anything lower than a 10?
KovacsBowmanJun 3, 2014
The Goonies will satisfy most children’s need for fun and adventure in a film, just like the Pirates of the Caribbean films do now.

Although a little dated you cannot help but laugh and chuckle your way through this film, yes its cliche of the 80's coming of age films. But with strong characters and a great cast this surely is a film worth dusting off every so often. I shall certainly be showing this film to my daughter when she is old enough.
kyle20ellisMar 24, 2022
The Goonies, what a fun movie. I will admit Richard Donner's direction was a little too leisurely and there are some parts in the middle half that are too slow and falls dangerously into cloying sentimentality. Still this childhood favouriteThe Goonies, what a fun movie. I will admit Richard Donner's direction was a little too leisurely and there are some parts in the middle half that are too slow and falls dangerously into cloying sentimentality. Still this childhood favourite of mine is great fun from beginning to end. No matter how thin the story is, it has an intriguing premise and Donner and Chris Columbus keep the action going strong and the adventure fun enough for the younger audience. The script is funny and affectionate, the music is memorable and in general the special effects are good. The image of the pirate ship was mind blowing and the cinematography and costumes are very well done. The performances are very good; while Sean Astin and Corey Feldman are the standouts of the child cast, it is Anne Ramsey who steals the show as Ma Fetali in a effortlessly over the top and deliciously evil performance, very like Diana Dors in The Amazing Mr Blunden. All in all, a fun adventure yarn. 8/10 Bethany Cox Expand
ComandanteCobraOct 16, 2021
I was a kid in the 80's when this movie came out...I dind't like it then, and I don't like it now 36 years later.
It is consider a "classic" movie for kid, but I disagree.
Probabilly most people idolatrize this movie for nostalgia (it was
It is consider a "classic" movie for kid, but I disagree.
Probabilly most people idolatrize this movie for nostalgia (it was passed on tv often for ages) than real quality. Main characters are the worst part of this production and ruin the whole film.
They are the definition of Gary Stu, scream all the time, bully a chubby kid for fun, have stereotipated personality traits, outsmarts adults criminal....unbareable.
There are tons of better movie for kids with nicers protagonists, better and clever screenplay, more innovation and better fx than this...like Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) or Explorers (1985) or Return to Oz (1985) or The NeverEnding Story (1984)...just to name a few
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
The Goonies is a classic adventure movie that follows a group of young friends as they try to find the treasure of One Eyed Willy. Good comedy, casting and entertaining performances make this an 80s classic you don't want to miss.
KingofdanerdsNov 10, 2016
To be honest this is one of my favorite movies. I mean who does not want to be in their shoes. I mean pirate ships, caves, being chased by criminals, and of course Sloth.The movie also had a good soundtrack. (My favorite song being Goonies RTo be honest this is one of my favorite movies. I mean who does not want to be in their shoes. I mean pirate ships, caves, being chased by criminals, and of course Sloth.The movie also had a good soundtrack. (My favorite song being Goonies R Good Enough). 10/10 Expand
MonkeyboysteveMay 17, 2017
This is one of the all time great family movies, the 80s was easily one of the best decades for cinema. There is a reason this film is fondly remembered over 30 years later, I honestly don't understand how anyone can vote this a 1 or 2?
Dragonfly44Oct 11, 2018
It may not be the best, but it is most certainly one of the most enjoyable movies I’ve ever seen. Rating - 85%
wukaszOct 21, 2018
This film was quite fun to watch.

This film was quite fun to watch.

On one hand, it felt like a kid's adventure film, with the goofy plot, quirky, caricature defining characters, ridiculous turns of events and pretty much non-stop action; on the other, it was full of dark scenes, scary settings, adult references. As long as you are willing a lot of dumber moments in the film be, it's a great, fun viewing.

The plot itself seems like nothing special today, but rather than itself being cliche, it's the Goonies that influenced the armada of films that make the plot so predictable.

The characters sometimes feel like they are quite useless and that the plot could do away with few of them, as they only seem to exist for the sake of existing. It sometimes leads to quite loud scenes in which it's harder to discern to what we should pay attention. The quick changes in focus between characters make some scenes somewhat inconsequential. That said, the prominent characters really pop out with their quirky gimmicks, theatrical acting and how they set themselves apart from the rest.

This film is a fairy tale dressed as an adventure film. Besides being a fresh breath of creativity in my recent film viewing, it's a lighthearted film, I believe almost anyone could enjoy.
antoinemichelinNov 14, 2018
The goonies is one of the best Spielberg movies ever! It doesn't deserve such a bad rating!
clem666Feb 1, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched this expecting to witness that classic movie everyone told me about. Hard to describe how disappointed I am...

Scenario begins by being interesting but ends up being predictable, uninspired and shallow. The time everyone spends on this damned cave at the end is way too long. There are some poor parallel stories going on just to try to extend movie duration. How uninteresting! Characters are flat and dull. It is really hard to have any empathy for them excepted for Mickey and Brand Walsh at some few points of the story. I know it's a movie for children but does that mean they all have to shout and speak at the same time in this movie? I truly think showing this thing to kids is a total shame because of its constant vulgarity, its nonsense and its lack of intellectual depth. There are way too many stereotypes in this feature: girls are attractive and a bit dumb, they just want their first kiss as soon as possible, guys are here to be strong protectors, parents are here only in order to sign papers and prevent children to eat too many chips, fat kids are laughable, chinese create a lot of failed gadgets and so on.

Special effects look really old. This feels like Indiana Jones but for children so the emergency exits and secret passages in the movie are really obvious.

Bad guys oscillate between being truly dangerous as they almost tortured a child and crazy and deaf since they can't even manage to hear a dozen of kids in an abandonned house. The third brother is an abomination. I just don't write that because he is actually ugly but rather because he concentrates all the debility of the movie in himself. His presence completes those of the children as he can't stop shouting inarticulated words and insulting people. The movie morality is as ineffective as childish.

Spielberg didn't hesitate to show commercial brands on screens using children's attention in one of the most perverse and insidious way. It is such a trash that it is hard not to give it a 0/10.
Steven1981Mar 18, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Goonies is a 1980's film about kids searching for pirates treasure to stop them losing their homes. A group of about 5 kids go hunting for treasure, accompanied by 2 girls and the gang are all friends. They are hunted by a criminal gang called The Fratelli's who recently escaped from prison. Not a great film but okay but kids will enjoy it more than adults will but all in all not my kind of film. Expand
imdbsupportFeb 11, 2021
Actually, maybe the movie is better than it seems to be -- I just couldn't understand what anyone was saying. The dialogue came across as clear as schoolyard chatter during recess -- and just about as pleasant to listen to. There is a waterActually, maybe the movie is better than it seems to be -- I just couldn't understand what anyone was saying. The dialogue came across as clear as schoolyard chatter during recess -- and just about as pleasant to listen to. There is a water slide, a pirate ship and an amusing little chubbikins (Jeff Cohen) who squirts Reddi Wip directly into his mouth. Expand
Sarian263Mar 16, 2021
This is my all time favorite movie and it is for a number of reasons. The story is very heart warming and makes us all feel like kids again. The cast of child actors (now adults) works so well. We can all relate to one of those kids as weThis is my all time favorite movie and it is for a number of reasons. The story is very heart warming and makes us all feel like kids again. The cast of child actors (now adults) works so well. We can all relate to one of those kids as we most probably ONE of those kids or knew someone in our group of friends like that! The setting and visuals which although have dated slightly are still very good and add a almost charm to it. It is a very entertaining movie from the off set and throughout! If you want a CLASSIC Spielberg story/movie then give this a go! Expand
HabibiehakimMay 23, 2022
What can you expect from a movie called The Goonies?, is it fun? yes, it's so much fun, is it funny? yes, it's funny, is it good? it's great, is it perfect? near perfect, i think the movie still have a couple of things that i don't need, someWhat can you expect from a movie called The Goonies?, is it fun? yes, it's so much fun, is it funny? yes, it's funny, is it good? it's great, is it perfect? near perfect, i think the movie still have a couple of things that i don't need, some little nit picky things but overall The Goonies is still a very fun creative journey with full of fun characters and the film is also surprisingly heartwarming too, it's a great movie overall. Expand
TKBuffaloGamingAug 12, 2021
36 Years later, if I happen to stumble upon this on TV, I stop to watch it until the finish.
EemedeeMay 17, 2022
This movie is a nostalgia fueled fever dream. I watched it once when I was very young in the early 2000's and blocked it out of my memory. Watching it again recently, I remembered why. It's about group of boys, aka The Goonies lead by MikeThis movie is a nostalgia fueled fever dream. I watched it once when I was very young in the early 2000's and blocked it out of my memory. Watching it again recently, I remembered why. It's about group of boys, aka The Goonies lead by Mike Walsh played by Sean Astin, who follow clues on a treasure map found in the Walshes' attic in hopes of stopping the foreclosure of his house- something every family can relate to. The crew ends up in dangerous tunnels beneath a dilapidated restaurant where they're pursued by a family of thugs.
What I can't stand about this movie is the screaming about what's literally happening in each scene. If there's a skull in a room, you know at least 3 kids are going to scream "SKULL." Bad guys are coming? "THE BAD GUYS ARE COMING." Boat? "BOAAAAT."
The only plus side of this is it provides room for the characters to honestly express their feelings. When a little kid starts crying out of fear or heartbreak, you really believe the performance. You can't help but care about them, like a friend after they **** their pants at a party and you had to drag them to your house that's getting foreclosed. I liked it.