Showtime Networks | Release Date: July 30, 2021
Generally favorable reviews based on 322 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
EildranAug 23, 2021
This movie is beautifully shot, with decent acting. That is the only positive thing to say. It's boring as sin, nevermind, sin is actually fun... This is just.... Paint drying. It's well shot as I mentioned, but it feels like you sit thereThis movie is beautifully shot, with decent acting. That is the only positive thing to say. It's boring as sin, nevermind, sin is actually fun... This is just.... Paint drying. It's well shot as I mentioned, but it feels like you sit there for 2 hours to watch nothing happen. It's aweful. No action at all, just a slow pensive walk in the woods with a lackluster plot and very little if any character development. I simply cannot recommend this movie to anyone looking to be entertained.

It really shows how sad the movie industry is with payed reviews. There is no way anyone with integrity could give this film 100%

As more people watch I'm sure you will see the average drop substantially.. shame on you critics.
SpecimenBSep 20, 2021
If you want to get an idea of how bad this movie is, take a gander at all the fake 10 reviews. More than half are accounts created just to give a 10 to this movie. Google one of them and the only activity you'll see are other movie reviewIf you want to get an idea of how bad this movie is, take a gander at all the fake 10 reviews. More than half are accounts created just to give a 10 to this movie. Google one of them and the only activity you'll see are other movie review sites where they give this movie a 10. The cinematography is pretty, but the direction is a disjointed acid trip. They took a classic movie and remade it into a progressive, inclusive and pretentious art show. The kind of art show where people worship the man-bun, ascot-wearing artist who stands in front of a blade of grass and applauds its profoundness. Expand
WdwireSep 21, 2021
Shlubby. Liked the end, which was the best part. The rest was all “this man is special and needs to be taught the lessons of life by women.”
HerrnewbenmeistAug 21, 2021
For me, it was a pallid, joyless affair that stitched together sequences of blunt metaphors without much care for what their purpose was or whether they made narrative sense.

I like the source material, although I wouldn't be against

I like the source material, although I wouldn't be against modifying it. Here though, the original themes are thrown out and just a little of the setting is roughly used.

The pompous arthouse titlecards are the cherry on top. I don't need enormous blocks of art noveau text announcing a twee intertitle every ten minutes, thank you.

To reviewers who say anything along the lines of "The people who gave this movie a bad review were mad that they had to use their brains for once," you're the emperor in his new clothes, but without the imperial title. I guess you're just naked idiots.

People who like this movie and don't feel the need to bag on others, you're cool.
Colig54Aug 23, 2021
A promising setting is quickly spoiled by a surrealist trip into what could quite easily be described as LSD inspired waste of bloody time.
BulkingbadJul 30, 2021
The cinematography here was excellent. The acting was superb…but my god wtf was that? A24 missed the mark. Hard. Slow burns do not equal bad movie. Tension and atmosphere over action do not equal bad movie. Every second of screen time usedThe cinematography here was excellent. The acting was superb…but my god wtf was that? A24 missed the mark. Hard. Slow burns do not equal bad movie. Tension and atmosphere over action do not equal bad movie. Every second of screen time used here was slow and methodical and meant to be thought provoking but instead you’re left scratching your head after every sequence. It all adds up to the most lackluster climax I’ve ever seen. I’m so disappointed. Expand
CinemaBoiAug 7, 2021
I've never written this before: I am actively discouraging you from seeing this. The high-pitched women's wailing is still ringing in my head.

Most negative reviews here say this movie is boring. They're not wrong. But they're missing the point. It's boring because this is a horribly, horribly told story. It's a knight's quest. A journey toward manhood and responsibility. But we don't track with the main character in that process at all. You just don't feel it.

Amazing how critics always fall for style. They actively ignore how crappy the storytelling is because they're so hypnotized by all the costumes and dissolves. WTF were those giants about?
BigDingusAug 1, 2021
I'm usually fairly generous and forgiving, able to find good and see the best in a lot of films, but this one was incredibly difficult. I wouldn't say it's "bad," but it's definitely not entertaining. If you go to see movies for reasons otherI'm usually fairly generous and forgiving, able to find good and see the best in a lot of films, but this one was incredibly difficult. I wouldn't say it's "bad," but it's definitely not entertaining. If you go to see movies for reasons other than entertainment, there's a chance you may appreciate it. If you're a fan of movies that offer little to no answers to anything, lack any real conflict, and just want to watch a guy walk from point A to point B, this movie will be tolerable. There's barely any dialogue, it moves slowly, the characters are mostly expressionless, and the plot is based entirely on whether or not a guy will commit to following through on one choice.

Is he brave enough, or will he chicken out? You at least find that out, but then that's it. Nothing more to it. But hey, if you like to find deeper meaning in the allegory or the themes sprinkled around, have at it. It was a disappointment to me, but to each their own.
HoplitexJul 30, 2021
A film is either made to win awards or make the big box office. This was the former. Super slow burn, visually pleasing, and I’m sure fans of the arts will love it. But this isn’t for your casual medieval adventure fan. Plot is so crazy slowA film is either made to win awards or make the big box office. This was the former. Super slow burn, visually pleasing, and I’m sure fans of the arts will love it. But this isn’t for your casual medieval adventure fan. Plot is so crazy slow and unclear. Expand
patika27Aug 2, 2021
Horrible movie! Save your soul and your money and don't go see this! Lacked everything it was a flat line all the way through. Did nothing for me instead it took my time, my money and left me feeling empty and messed up in the end. QuietHorrible movie! Save your soul and your money and don't go see this! Lacked everything it was a flat line all the way through. Did nothing for me instead it took my time, my money and left me feeling empty and messed up in the end. Quiet possibly the worst movie I have ever seen or one of them. Expand
ascreamingJul 30, 2021
High hopes, massive disappointment. This film takes a lot of effort to watch, but it's pretentious and dense and feels like it doesn't want to be understood. Almost like there is actually very little of interest going on beneath its overblownHigh hopes, massive disappointment. This film takes a lot of effort to watch, but it's pretentious and dense and feels like it doesn't want to be understood. Almost like there is actually very little of interest going on beneath its overblown exterior...

Production design for some parts is very nice (love those crowns!), but frustrating in others (in trying to create a 'gritty' medieval world must we take the 'dark ages' so literally? Why does nobody own any interior lighting?). There is some very inventive cinematography, as any trailer will quickly demonstrate. Sean Harris and Joel Edgerton give enjoyable performances, but the screenplay does Dev Patel no favors and offers a thoroughly drippy, dumb, and unlikeable Gawain. Alicia Vikander produces a strange medieval English accent which wobbles between Geordie and Scouse—it's bizarre, and perhaps accidental, but actually quite compelling.

The mood is pretty grim, and it's the same all the way through, with all the joy and fun and humour of the source material sucked out and nothing compelling or interesting added in its place. This is not a fun film, but it's also not an action film or a thoughtful film. It has one note and you are bludgeoned with it throughout. Fundamental changes to the plot and identity of the characters subtract far more than they contribute and produce a confusing overall picture where motivation and meaning feel pretty distant. It's just a bunch of boring stuff happening quite slowly in the dark. The screenplay and direction don't seem to have any patience—nothing is allowed to build slowly or gradually. Every scene attempts to be a knockout of great depth and of solemn, weighty significance. The only way in which the film attempts to earn or justify that kind of impact is with screeching music and visual tricks, rather than with plot or character. There is nothing to hold on to, and no reason to care about our characters. Style is cool, but here it totally suffocates substance.

The score is melodramatic and bland, but worse than that is the fact that it's inescapeable. High-pitched acappella hooting is the recourse for every scene where the events and character of the film have failed to create any sort of interest or engagement.

A deeply frustrating watch. Since learning about the film I was excited and eager to like it, and I was ready to fight for it if it turned out to be a middling or misguided adaptation. But it really is a turkey. The CGI fox is one of the most agonizing failures I have seen on screen for a long time.
TerminatorFanJul 30, 2021
While this film was gorgeously shot and wonderfully acted, it ultimately felt ridiculous, pretentious, and like a complete waste of my time.
LunaticInkSep 2, 2021
Overlong, boring, and poorly shot. No this film isn’t “beautiful”. It’s riddled with pacing issues and dragged down by a nonsensical plot. It’s about as deep as a mud puddle. The protagonist is an unlikable coward. I can see why theOverlong, boring, and poorly shot. No this film isn’t “beautiful”. It’s riddled with pacing issues and dragged down by a nonsensical plot. It’s about as deep as a mud puddle. The protagonist is an unlikable coward. I can see why the average millennial would identify with him.

It fits right alongside every other A24 film I’ve ever seen. Utter arthouse trash.
iMatt42Aug 22, 2021
Was not the type of movie I was expecting. I was hoping for a more action and lore based Arthurian movie. I don’t understand why the film industry lately has to make everything so “angsty”. There is no laughter and no fun to be had in thisWas not the type of movie I was expecting. I was hoping for a more action and lore based Arthurian movie. I don’t understand why the film industry lately has to make everything so “angsty”. There is no laughter and no fun to be had in this movie. Just one dark and dreary scene after another. I’m still waiting for an Arthurian movie to do the legends justice. I did enjoy the casting. The actors were believable in their portrayals of the characters they played. Just wish there was a jovial scene or two where the characters actually spoke in a normal voice instead of hushed whispers. Please someone make an Arthurian movie that fits the fantasy that lives in everyone’s minds. Instead of adapting some part of the story for artistic purposes. I’ll just go back to rewatching Excalibur for the umpteenth time until that day comes. Expand
kingtronicsAug 24, 2021
awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful awful
RowlanddavidJul 30, 2021
I just created an account to write this. please, do not go to see this film, what a DULL experience. It's been a while since I feel like just stepping out of the cinema before the movie ends.
KickedByNoobsAug 21, 2021
This is The most boring an incoherent movie I have ever seen. The director was obviously on drugs, and not in a good way.
lexi0125Aug 1, 2021
10 out of 20 people audiance members walked out before we did. Absolutely boring, zero plot & zero entertainment. We stayed for an hour and 40 minutes before leaving. It was horrible. Between working full time, raising kids, and life we10 out of 20 people audiance members walked out before we did. Absolutely boring, zero plot & zero entertainment. We stayed for an hour and 40 minutes before leaving. It was horrible. Between working full time, raising kids, and life we thought we'd have a great date night with a highly reviewed movie by critics. Absolute waste of precious time and money. Pure garbage. If you want to pay for a movie ticket, eat overpriced food, to watch somebody walk and other people stare at him, then this movie is for you. If you're looking for entertainment do not see this movie. Expand
snorkissJul 30, 2021
The idiotic casting choice for Sir Gawain aside, The Green Knight is an overindulgent, anal gazing medieval bore - 2 stars
Locnes90Jul 31, 2021
What I was hoping for was an Arthurian fantasy with the driving narrative focus and action of 'Gravity', the dreamlike illustrative visuals of '12 Years a Slave', and the sensory, nightmarish editing, sound, and post-production ofWhat I was hoping for was an Arthurian fantasy with the driving narrative focus and action of 'Gravity', the dreamlike illustrative visuals of '12 Years a Slave', and the sensory, nightmarish editing, sound, and post-production of 'Hereditary' and 'Midsommar'. For good measure, add in a splash of the emotional humanism of Ang Lee's best work (I would totally get excited for any kind of Arthurian fantasy by Ang Lee). This is not that movie. This movie is equivalent to a series of iconic minimalist paintings tied together by intellectual explanation and hidden references or symbols that barely fit into a "narrative". It feels as if the sound design and abstract editing are a last-ditch effort to give it any real sense of life. Even so, the score is primarily "spooky" and there are no real melodic motifs that help us feel the soul of our main character or the weight of his journey. Unfortunately, I found this to be boring, ponderous, and a huge let-down. I thought the combination of Arthurian revisionism, surrealism, hypnotic editing and post-production (it's A24 after all) would be wonderous to behold and I could not have been more hyped. Instead, I felt literally sick at the lack of plot momentum or clear character development. This is exactly the kind of art film that I hoped it would not be. It is so vague and overladen with "symbolism" that it ceases to be a story at all. The ending is nihilistic and cynical to top it all off. My wife and I agreed that this felt like a film student's attempt to confuse his fellow students so that they could brag about how everyone just "isn't smart enough to get it". Dev Patel looks very cool and the cinematography and production design will be front-runners at next year's Oscars. Hopefully, if this does well at the box office (even for an R-rated art film) it will open the door for more "surrealist fantasy" and another filmmaker will be able to make something like this, but more exciting and with greater stakes. I watched all of the youtube videos and read all the articles explaining what the ending was meant to convey. Even after gaining a greater understanding of what I was meant to perceive, I still firmly believe that this was a huge missed opportunity to create a truly masterful work. It frustrates me that it is being applauded by so many critics. If you were to tell me that this film just wasn't for me, or that I "don't appreciate what the movie was trying to do", I would say that this was simply a case of style over substance. I was just as harsh on Gareth Edwards' 'Godzilla' when it came out due to an overall lack of kaiju action, but eventually, I grew to like that film more. Perhaps 'Green Knight' will also grow on me, but for now, I am in more agreement with those in my audience who were laughing and throwing their hands up at the end of this. This movie itself seems to be on drugs, and unfortunately, it is made dumb by them. Expand
shout_explainJul 30, 2021
This movie has completly no sence. It's just one big mix of many plots which brings only a chaos here. Music and scenery are very sleppy Dialogues are boring and actors look like they're out of emotions. Don't go to the cinema to see thisThis movie has completly no sence. It's just one big mix of many plots which brings only a chaos here. Music and scenery are very sleppy Dialogues are boring and actors look like they're out of emotions. Don't go to the cinema to see this movie, it's worthless Expand
OleGeinAug 1, 2021
It's a very beautifully shot movie with solid acting, but doesn't make up for the incoherent mess of a script. Similar style movies like Lighthouse will leave the ending to interpretation, but The Green Knight leave entire movie/plot toIt's a very beautifully shot movie with solid acting, but doesn't make up for the incoherent mess of a script. Similar style movies like Lighthouse will leave the ending to interpretation, but The Green Knight leave entire movie/plot to interpretation, never giving the audience a solid answer to the simplest questions. There is no conflict or climax worth getting excited about. Once the movie was over, there was a large collective sigh of relief from the entire audience that the film was finally over. Expand
AgentoftheBatAug 1, 2021
Boring arthouse nonsense with no excitement to speak of and a completely forgettable cast.
Mammoth731Jul 31, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A obscenely bastardized version of an Arthurian legend. Gawain was turned into an unlikable heel made to have no redeeming qualities. The entire film was pretentious and meant to be "artsy" without any depth. This movie will be a flop. Expand
YoggyBoiAug 1, 2021
I had to have my eyes shut for half of the movie due to how much 'special effects' they did with spinning the camera. I came out of the theatre with a loss of appetite due to feeling the worst motion sickness I have ever felt. Literally hadI had to have my eyes shut for half of the movie due to how much 'special effects' they did with spinning the camera. I came out of the theatre with a loss of appetite due to feeling the worst motion sickness I have ever felt. Literally had to take a nap when I got home. 100% would not recommend to any of my friends who experience motion sickness.

There was literally NO reason to do what they did with the cameras and it subtracted from the film so much that it became an outright disgrace for the story being told.
TVJerryAug 3, 2021
Dev Patel stars as Sir Gawain, who’s sent on a quest by his uncle King Arthur to confront the ominous titular character. His mystical journey includes encounters with creatures, otherworldly and otherwise. While the film is full of lusciousDev Patel stars as Sir Gawain, who’s sent on a quest by his uncle King Arthur to confront the ominous titular character. His mystical journey includes encounters with creatures, otherworldly and otherwise. While the film is full of luscious visual beauty, the pacing is painfully slow. It could have easily lost 30 minutes and been more effective. On top of the disastrous tempo (or lack thereof) the story is cluttered by ominious statements that make no sense. If I’d studied the 14th century poem on which it’s based, I might understand it better, but that’s not excuse for obtuse storytelling. Writer/director David Lowery must get all the blame for this tedious, pretentious slog. Expand
DJKeviKevAug 5, 2021
Make sure you know what you are getting into. The trailer sold this as a LoTR type action film but it’s actually a long boring artistic slog that you will only understand if you read the 700 year old poem that the film is based on.
Evaperry04Aug 7, 2021
The worst movie I have seen EVER. It starts off dull and boring with little to no interesting investment in any of the characters. Then half way through the movie it turns into someone’s fetishist fever dream. The move ends with no moral toThe worst movie I have seen EVER. It starts off dull and boring with little to no interesting investment in any of the characters. Then half way through the movie it turns into someone’s fetishist fever dream. The move ends with no moral to the story, no excitement and no significant imprint on the viewer. If you are a fan of fantasy save your money and watch lord of the rings for the 100th time. The only redeemable quality of this movie was the refund we got after the projector broke and has to be repaired. Expand
BellinoPAug 20, 2021
Fox poop. No way. The story made no sense to me. It tries hard to be artistic but the story is so weak and thin.
GinaKAug 13, 2021
Four of us sat in a huge local megaplex and watched this film on a hot afternoon. To be honest, three of us watched it and one held up his phone through most of the movie and played with it. Maybe he was bootlegging it. If he was, I wouldFour of us sat in a huge local megaplex and watched this film on a hot afternoon. To be honest, three of us watched it and one held up his phone through most of the movie and played with it. Maybe he was bootlegging it. If he was, I would tell him it wasn’t worth the effort. It just annoyed the rest of us. This was a long, bloated, mostly in-your-face movie (and we were sitting in the back of the auditorium) about coming-of-age or ancient adventure or something like that. The sets and costumes were not particularly interesting, the plot was not particularly interesting (just meandering), the performances were not particularly interesting. I am desperately trying to figure out why I am even giving this one star. Nice color palette? Big screen? Pity maybe? Expand
SaulsamsonAug 20, 2021
This is a terrible movie and the casting doesn't make any sense. This is a mockery of religion and everything that made these stories great.
werecar1Aug 20, 2021
Just awful. I love Dev Patel, but this was near unwatchable. If you are expecting action, great special effects, and a clear plot/story, stay far, far away. If those things don't matter to you, then The Green Knight is your movie.
Danny1234567Aug 7, 2021
I was expecting excellent cinematography that revolved around a plot that carries the main character through adversity across a world full of mythical creatures and spirits. What I received was excellent cinematography and a series ofI was expecting excellent cinematography that revolved around a plot that carries the main character through adversity across a world full of mythical creatures and spirits. What I received was excellent cinematography and a series of irrelevant events. I constantly had to ask myself what I was watching but there was never a real answer. The world has so much potential, opportunities for plot and development, but there is none. It was somehow far more important to include a three-minute scene of the protagonist riding a horse at a walking pace than to create a scene throwing the viewer a bone regarding the direction of the seemingly nonexistent plot. I suppose this scene was the queue to get up and leave. It's like spending two hours on a one-hundred-piece jigsaw puzzle that has fifty missing pieces just because it's a copy of the Mona Lisa. The most exciting piece of the movie took place on (literally) fast-forward. There are dozens of movies that provide more immersive environments and equally profound cinematography while maintaining incredible plots. The Green Knight falls far below the mark. Expand
marco34laJul 31, 2021
What a pretentious worthless film this was. The studio must have paid a lot of money to the critics to get them to give this a favorable review. It is nonsensical garbage that goes NOWHERE. This was 2 hours of my life I cannot get back.What a pretentious worthless film this was. The studio must have paid a lot of money to the critics to get them to give this a favorable review. It is nonsensical garbage that goes NOWHERE. This was 2 hours of my life I cannot get back. Please save your money and wait for it on neflix is you must see it at all. Expand
MordhausAug 1, 2021
If you expect a grand Arthurian tale that follows the myth, don't watch this. It is a horrid take on the legend. Sorry, but I was conned by the critic reviews. This is a terrible movie.
sittingbullfrogAug 7, 2021
I wonder why Hollywood would rather make European fairytales diverse than tell produce films about Hindu fairytales or African fairytales. Its almost as if they have some sort of agenda. . .
elecsilverAug 7, 2021
This movie is absolutely awful. It is slow, tedious, and full of nonsensical plot points that are possibly supposed to be the directors take at humor. If you want something to put you to sleep this is it. There were numerous points where IThis movie is absolutely awful. It is slow, tedious, and full of nonsensical plot points that are possibly supposed to be the directors take at humor. If you want something to put you to sleep this is it. There were numerous points where I cringed just in awe of how they let some of the scenes into the movie. All bad reviews were blocked from being posted for the first week of it's release so obviously someone paid to have it fluffed up. Expand
JauburnJul 31, 2021
An absolute waste of time and money. This really could have been an epic, but instead everyone in the theater was scoffing at the ridiculousness of almost every scene. What a horrible film.
powermaxlevelAug 1, 2021
Worst than going to the dentist and more boring than watching paint dry. First movie I have ever walked out of. Absolutely wretched. What the hell is wrong with these Hollywood big wigs? How do you F up an Arthurian fable this bad? Was thisWorst than going to the dentist and more boring than watching paint dry. First movie I have ever walked out of. Absolutely wretched. What the hell is wrong with these Hollywood big wigs? How do you F up an Arthurian fable this bad? Was this made by the Game of Throne rejects? Questions I don't care to know. Expand
tbharkerAug 5, 2021
This film had the cinematic and artistic intrigue that was alluring after so many poorly produced COVID films. The critic’s ratings seems great, so three of us went to see it. It was, in a word, TERRIBLE.

First, it starts with an intro

First, it starts with an intro narration that’s near-impossible to understand. This mumbling is interspersed throughout the show, coupled with onscreen text that is flashed onscreen, in illegible text, so as to just be frustrating.

Then there are long, drawn out scenes of… well, nothing. Guy riding on his horse, or walking, for what is clearly too long in an already far too long film.

During the film, audience members periodically spoke out criticisms of, “what the hell is happening,” or, “movie it along already!”

There were scenes that, frankly, made no sense. Many of them.

After it ended, we stood outside and listened as other viewers left. It appeared there was unanimous discontent and confusion. I cannot fathom why the critics are rating this so highly. I feel cheated. This film is not entertaining or engaging.
whocares4321Jul 31, 2021
I can confidently say 95% of people are going to hate this movie. How it ever got this many positive reviews is honestly beyond me. My TLDR summary would be: great story, terrible movie. Truly pretentious, needlessly unenjoyable, overlyI can confidently say 95% of people are going to hate this movie. How it ever got this many positive reviews is honestly beyond me. My TLDR summary would be: great story, terrible movie. Truly pretentious, needlessly unenjoyable, overly cryptic and vague, a mostly dreadful original score, and an ending with as much impact as a fart in the wind. Also going into this movie, there are some things you should know about the original story, the 5 virtues of knighthood, and the chivalrous code. The fact that this movie makes no attempt to make sure the audience is aware of this knowledge is a critical failure of the film. Now I will say, I thought the points/messages the story was getting across were pretty brilliant. I did have fun talking about my family about the significance of certain scenes, and what they were trying to get across. And I'm also having fun hearing different people's theories and interpretations of the film online. But aside from that it was a totally unenjoyable experience, with zero emotional impact, charm, or memorability. This movie simply isn't worth paying to see, or even watching period. The source material will do a far better job at telling the tale of Gawain than this steaming pile. Expand
MalamutorAug 7, 2021
I absolutely hated this movie. Completely wastes all the great acting, cinematography, and setting. I loved the new Blade Runner, have been to England multiple times, love Arthurian lore, and think this movie absolutely destroyed itself byI absolutely hated this movie. Completely wastes all the great acting, cinematography, and setting. I loved the new Blade Runner, have been to England multiple times, love Arthurian lore, and think this movie absolutely destroyed itself by trying to put its own spin on things. Horrible directing, horrible story, absolute nonsense at times, and their own movie didn't even make sense. They also blatently contradicted their own story universe at times. The pacing could have been fine... but they just ruined the entire ending third of the movie. This is an "adaptation" and the things they strayed from the original poem were absolutely terrible. Unforgivable. Expand
thedaarkbattyAug 8, 2021
Insanely boring movie that makes absolutely no sense. Only watch this if you have insomnia and need to fall asleep.
retard3000Aug 3, 2021
Movie dragged like hell it felt like the audience should have known of the story before hand a bunch of subtle lines a scenes that dint quite add up, some big ass giants walking around with a baby he asks for a ride they squeal at him. ThisMovie dragged like hell it felt like the audience should have known of the story before hand a bunch of subtle lines a scenes that dint quite add up, some big ass giants walking around with a baby he asks for a ride they squeal at him. This movie either you hate it or love it Expand
TwiTuOct 3, 2021
As boring and soulless as any woke propaganda movie.
Very telling that so many "people" here rating it 10 are actually new accounts. Ive seen that before here, where it was exposed that they bought/manipulated the ratings.
Saul2021Sep 18, 2021
I'd give this movie 6 or 7, but because the producers decided to include token black actors, I can't in good conscience give this anything other than zero. If you want to be inclusive, then give a black actor the main role, instead of blatantI'd give this movie 6 or 7, but because the producers decided to include token black actors, I can't in good conscience give this anything other than zero. If you want to be inclusive, then give a black actor the main role, instead of blatant tokenism.

If you can't understand why this is bad, imagine a white actor as one of the tribe characters in the movie Apocalypto. It doesn't work because it's inherently forced. White people don't want to see a white actor playing a native, nor do black people want to see a black actor playing a caucasian. It's dumb.

Hollywood producers have this urge to insert random black characters into cultures where historically weren't none at the time, due to fear of "Hollywood Too White" label. They don't realize how racist this practice makes them look, so they'll have to learn the hard way.
Majohnso22Aug 14, 2021
This movie was visually stunning and yet so boring. Only English majors who minor in folk lore might like this. It’s the most boring slow paced movie. Do not see it.
pkarapan77Oct 11, 2021
Great visuals and atmosphere but overall somewhat of a let down. This is not the film I expected. Moreover, I don't know much about the original Arthurian legend but this story seems pretty lame.
M1lkmanOct 3, 2021
Beautifully shot drivel. The Mulholland Drive of historical fantasy. Avoid at all costs.
2deadcatzOct 4, 2021
Boring garbage and horrible acting wth A24? I am just typing words so that metacritic let me post this review ignore this
Va1Aug 31, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are certainly two ways one can look at this movie. I will start from the perspective of person who have never read the poem:
-This movie is a solid piece of art, with some great thinking involved, and with good acting as well. However, this is where it stops.
As a person who read the poem and wrote a great essay on it, I am utterly disappointed. First things first, Arthur's sister is Indian? Come on. Also, Gawain is not the son of Morgana le Fay, but a son of Morgause according to the WHOLE Arthurian cycle, which Lowrey decided to disregard and just make a movie on ONE piece of work. Second of all, the scenes with bandints, giants, and a fox a made up, which would be fine if they actually brought something to the adaptation, but they did not, so I consider them useless in the sense of this movie. However, when the movie gets to the point which was actually in the poem, it fails there as well. The whole point of Gawain being in Bertilak's castle for 3 days was to show how Gawain is able to resist temptations due to him being a knight and keep his honor in not sleeping with Lord Bertilak's wife. In the poem, the author demonstrates hunting scenes, where hunters have to choose different methods to achieve success when hunting different animals, namely - fallow deer, wild boar, and a fox. Moreover, the author shows scenes in which the wife of the owner of the castle tries to woo Gawain in various ways. While these two events do not seem related to each other, there are similarities between them, and the animals that are hunted seem to symbolize the lady's behavior towards Gawain. This is the most important part of the story, but it was TOTALLY missed by Lowrey for some reason. Therefore, the ending of the story was not on point as well, as it technically does not show Gawain's fate after his encounter with The Green Knight. In the poem, though, the knight strikes three times but only hits Gawain once for not giving him the green belt. At this point it turns out that The Green Knight is actually Lord of the castle himself, which was the ENTIRE point of the castle part. 3/10 for me as to being not a very good (at all) adaptation, but still being a decent movie, hence the three points.
rightmuch1Oct 30, 2021
I’ve never posted a review on this site before. But after watching this wretched movie I felt compelled to do so. I rented this movie based on the aggregate high scores from legitimate publications. Based on the reviews I’ve seen lately, II’ve never posted a review on this site before. But after watching this wretched movie I felt compelled to do so. I rented this movie based on the aggregate high scores from legitimate publications. Based on the reviews I’ve seen lately, I am beginning to think that all of their staff critics are millennial hipsters that have perhaps smoked way too much weed before reviewing some of these flicks. We got through an hour of this mess and finally gave up. Expand
cornbreadcalebNov 16, 2021
This movie is a jumbled mess. Nothing makes any sense. Just because you have a fantastic score with good visuals and actors doesn’t mean you have a good movie. Movies should always be story-first. A24 took a different route with this movie.