IFC Films | Release Date: December 14, 2018
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 106 Ratings
Watch Now
The3AcademySinsMar 6, 2019
The House that Jack Built is an interesting offer by Lars Von Trier. Provocative to say the least, this film provokes all morality and intellectuality you may have. Let me explain. The scenes with Matt Dillon doing serial killer stuff andThe House that Jack Built is an interesting offer by Lars Von Trier. Provocative to say the least, this film provokes all morality and intellectuality you may have. Let me explain. The scenes with Matt Dillon doing serial killer stuff and viewing himself as an artist are some of the best scenes in the movie, and they are honestly incredible. On the other hand, the interludes with Verge discussing among all things, Lars Von Trier as an important 20th century figure, are some of the worst drivel I have ever had the misfortune of hearing. This movie is disgusting. It doesn't shy away from violence at all. However, I really appreciated that choice. Also, I have to mention that this movie is hilarious. Some of Matt Dillon's bit are hysterical. This is easily his strongest performance to date. If you like watching really messed up things and don't mind some heavy artistic ego stroking, you should probably give this a watch. Expand
TuneisonJan 2, 2019
I am floored. This is probably the first time I've ever watched a film and had absolutely no clue how to feel about it. I honestly don't know if this is a 10/10 or a 1/10. I just have no **** clue. This could honestly go either way. II am floored. This is probably the first time I've ever watched a film and had absolutely no clue how to feel about it. I honestly don't know if this is a 10/10 or a 1/10. I just have no **** clue. This could honestly go either way. I seriously can't tell if this is my favorite movie of 2018 or not. What the **** Expand
seantaraniFeb 21, 2019
Just a sophisticated masterpiece
And I wanna say the most people who dislike this masterpiece are just simple (Idiot)
SSH83Dec 30, 2018
This is basically Black Mirror with a psychopathic leaning, less censorship, and more artistic menageries. This would've been great if Lars von Trier offered more accuracy than the Netflix standard. I facepalm in this movie as much as I doThis is basically Black Mirror with a psychopathic leaning, less censorship, and more artistic menageries. This would've been great if Lars von Trier offered more accuracy than the Netflix standard. I facepalm in this movie as much as I do in Black Mirror, so it's enjoyable only if you go in expecting B-movie. Expand
imthenoobDec 16, 2018
At first, I was very confused about what I was watching. So I thought about it and rewatched a few parts. After that, I finally realized the film was supposed to be this beautiful mess. That, as the viewer, you shouldn't take it all at faceAt first, I was very confused about what I was watching. So I thought about it and rewatched a few parts. After that, I finally realized the film was supposed to be this beautiful mess. That, as the viewer, you shouldn't take it all at face value and that you should really think about what the director was meaning to portray and I think that is where it succeeds. Yes, It could have been trimmed in some parts but I feel the long run time really helped the movie rather than hamper it.

And I absolutely loved Dillon in this movie. Seeing him go from this socially awkward man to a confident serial killer will give you chills. Also, I freaking loved having Ganz in this film, He's such an underappreciated actor and he plays a wonderful supporting role in it. These two alone make the movie worth watching.
NightReviewsDec 22, 2018
My relationship with Lars von Trier can be described best in one word; boundless. Luckily for myself, although my relationship only began a few days ago with this passionate and highly cynical director, I’m sure glad that a relationshipMy relationship with Lars von Trier can be described best in one word; boundless. Luckily for myself, although my relationship only began a few days ago with this passionate and highly cynical director, I’m sure glad that a relationship flourished at all. While his name had been mentioned to me in passing countless times, I never really sat down and truly experienced a von Trier film, that is, until I watched The House That Jack Built. Yet, not like most, I experienced von Trier on a different level most people would, attending a very exclusive and rare unrated director’s cut of Jack. To say the least, it is with all honesty and truth, I can say that it wasn’t until I watched this film that I truly understood how far the boundaries of cinema can be pushed.

Typical discussions regarding von Trier’s work usually touch mostly upon the controversies surrounding his films, as well as his unprecedented style, and his penchant for making viewers feel so uncomfortable that their only natural reaction is to walk out of their theatre seat, or turn off the film altogether. While von Trier’s career is ladened with controversy, including a “persona non grata” at Cannes, that was lifted this year for The House That Jack Built, as well as controversy for basically each one of his film’s release since the beginning of his Depression Trilogy, starting with AntiChrist, von Trier seems to be the poster child for auteurs with a warning sticker attached to them.

While very few directors can truly call themselves truly provocative filmmakers, and while it seems that von Trier spends more time debunking this notion that trying to prove himself otherwise, it isn’t hard to reign him as the clear champion of this title. Yet, aside from the controversy, von Tirer has a plethora of qualities that he brings to filmmaking and cinema all together. Always pushing the boundaries, von Trier likes to smear the lines drawn by rating boards and society alike, and Jack is a testament to the very boundaries set by such films and people. While his content is often disturbing and brutal, von Trier also has a sadistic way of implementing a stark sense of humour within the frames of his work. Yet knowing all of these from a true vanguard of cinema, nothing could prepare me for a work made a man hated but loved by many so many people inside and outside of the film industry, and whose work is often misunderstood yet a direct companion piece of the man that is Lars Trier (he added the von himself).

The House That Jack Built is quite elementary narratively speaking; the story follows Jack, an architect who has a severe case of OCD. Jack is played passionately by Matt Dillon, a role since The Outsider that many believed he was born to play, especially given his heavy encrusted facial expressions and naturally demonic and piercingly intimidating look. Yet, the more we get to know Jack, we realize he is a serial killer. Okay, maybe that’s a lie; we know right away and before anything that Jack is a serial killer before he is anything else. So in proper von Trier fashion, the film is presented using chapters, over the course of twelve years, and within those twelve years, we are introduced to Jack and five murders that have shaped the man he is and becomes by the end of the film.

Yet, as rudimentary the narrative of von Trier’s film is, it becomes clear quickly that nothing is square about this auteur and his films. Jack’s devilish narrative is a twisted odyssey into the depths of hell and a psychosis where guilt, empathy and compassion is voided. Yet, after these five incidents are displayed in bloody von Trier fashion, the journey of Jack’s path leads to Verge (Bruno Ganz), a ‘spiritual’ figure who appears and disappears throughout Jack’s life, proving truly von Trier’esque exposition; but keep in mind, von Trier exposition is quite different from Hollywood exposition. Presented in poetic and encrypted fashion, von Trier’s dialogue is nothing short of enigmatic. And while Ganz is a formidable and heavyweight actor, Ganz’s performance, no matter how insightful or mysterious it is, merely serves as a counterweight to the heavy hitting and aggressively spot-on performance given by Dillon. Jack is without question, Dillon best and quintessential role ever, and he will never be better in a film in his life.

While Ganz and Dillon provide the film with some its most analytical, contemplative and philosophical dialogue, speeding through words in a rhythmic yet glaringly sophisticated way, as if written in iambic tetrameter, von Trier’s dialogue still has an incomparable way of showing facets of the director and the many dark and disturbing pieces of himself, in a way that makes the film so personal and reflective.
AndremaxFeb 5, 2019
The House That Jack Built ultimately is intriguing, artistic and charming although randomly arrogant and redundant.
JLuis_001Dec 26, 2018
I love Lars Von Trier. He's one of my favorite filmmakers and he's actually the third one in my top ten. But unfortunately this film didn't left me really satisfied.
At first it promised to be great, but it never manages to be on par with its
At first it promised to be great, but it never manages to be on par with its ambition and strangely coming from Von Trier, it feels somewhat empty and disarticulated.

Also I have to mention that is quite evident that Von Trier is beginning to show certain shortcomings in his narrative discourse. I say this because he's starting to repeat himself and that's not a good thing. It's still a minor issue but it's certainly notorious.

I canot say anything negative about Matt Dillon's wonderful work as Jack. Undoubtedly one of the best roles of his career, if not the best. He leads the films entirely and holds it together at all times.

I give this film an extra half a star because of its wonderful epilogue that undoubtedly changes the whole focus of the film and gives it a somewhat unsatisfactory but pretty good ending and that undoubtedly revitalizes the film in general.
movieducationDec 19, 2018
Lars Von Trier’s ignorance and ostentatiousness amaze me, THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT deconstructs serial killer’s mind in most imaginable way - gruesome, uncompromising and immoral even the last act kinda ruins whole movie for me. Who saysLars Von Trier’s ignorance and ostentatiousness amaze me, THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT deconstructs serial killer’s mind in most imaginable way - gruesome, uncompromising and immoral even the last act kinda ruins whole movie for me. Who says that murder’s not an art ? Or is it ? Expand
DioGrenDec 27, 2018
Hannibal cinema is good art. The House That Jack Built - the inept nazi schizophrenia.
MattBrady99Dec 25, 2018
“You want me to show you to the next whisky bar?”

After giving it some thought, I’m still lost and filled with thoughts. How do I talk about the most polarizing movie of 2018. The movie that caused such a uproar at Cannes with 100 people
“You want me to show you to the next whisky bar?”

After giving it some thought, I’m still lost and filled with thoughts.

How do I talk about the most polarizing movie of 2018. The movie that caused such a uproar at Cannes with 100 people walking out, which I bet made Lars sip on his warm tea with delight. This kind of noise only boosted my excitement even more. Actually, I was anticipating it, but also feared it, because here’s the question: Will it live up to the hype?

Well...

‘The House That Jack Built’ is a horrible and cruel movie that examines the worst in humanity….but I kinda liked it. Ugly, yet strangely beautiful. The cinematography, editing, and the handheld camera work is all fantastic. Very hard to digest, yet very hard to forget.

Matt Dillon is absolutely terrific as the devilish artist with an eye for perfection. It’s a real shame he won’t be getting any award recognition, because it’s one of the best performance of his career. His black eyes and dead booming voice only names a few traits. An architect who destroys what he creates. Concrete, bricks and wood simply won’t do, but flesh and bone is considered. Still, a serial killer with OCD? Hit the road Jack!

Even the supporting cast, despite they minuscule screen time, still gave stellar performances. The screens between Bruno Ganz and Matt Dillon are the most fascinating aspects of the film. Ganz being the audience member, listening and debating with Jack.

Now Lars Von Trier isn’t a stranger when it comes to controversy. Right from the beginning, I could tell he made this movie for himself. A narcissistic and prejudice statement on art and icons. Basically the main character is a metaphor of him, hence why I would consider this his most personal work and perhaps his last. A genius director with a bad sense of humor.

The portrayal of violence is absolutely brutal and definitely not for the faint of heart. What’s even worse is you feel every kill - it’s that’s effective. I actually gasp at one scene. None of it came off as edgy or anything like that. Although grizzly and bitter, yet strangely comedic - something you wouldn’t expect coming from a movie that caused many walkouts.

There’s plenty of symbolism and discussion on different topics that defines Jack; especially Nazi’s. Probably the most talked about scene involves a mother and her two children, if you know what I mean. The scene itself reflects the crazy Nazi army who threw baby’s in the air, and shoot them like target practice. Another scene where Jack kidnaps and ties up a group of men ready to execute them with one full metal jacket bullet - similar to a experimental technique used by Nazi's. I find it suspicious Von Trier has such knowledge on the Nazi army after the infamous ban at Cannes.

For issues: The movie can get a bit arty-farty and halfway through shifts focus on two characters narrating about anything. While those conversations serve as interesting little trivia, but felt like filler.

Putting aside my critiques, I would like to address my deepest concern for Von Trier's mental state. He looks incredibly unwell and without a glimpse of happiness. He’s always been very open about his health and expressed it through his art. I can imagine him sitting alone with flakes of grey in his beard, contemplating the reality of the situation - nobody wants to help.

Oh Lars.
Idiota150Apr 19, 2019
I was too late to realize this was a Lars von Trier movie and I suffered for it.
CosiMOLOGOFeb 13, 2019
Si hay un director que ha dejado una huella por su peculiar estilo es Lars Von Trier, ahora, luego de llevarse el titulo de "persona no grata" el 2011 en Cannes, regresó al festival con esta obra que como se esperaba causo revuelo y dividió aSi hay un director que ha dejado una huella por su peculiar estilo es Lars Von Trier, ahora, luego de llevarse el titulo de "persona no grata" el 2011 en Cannes, regresó al festival con esta obra que como se esperaba causo revuelo y dividió a la crítica. Antes de todo debo recordar que estamos hablando de una película de Lars Von Trier, así que esperar encontrarse con escenas de violencia o sexualidad explicitas no debería ser una sorpresa, así que creo que toda la polémica es completamente injustificada. Narra la historia de Jack un asesino que cuenta sus crímenes, a los que llama incidentes. a un hombre al que llama Verge. Lo mejor de la película es Matt Dilon quien lleva su interpretación a niveles magistrales, recogiendo la esencia que le dio Hopkins a su papel de Hannibal Lecter en El Silencio de los Corderos. Como en la mayor parte del cine de este director la metáfora es usada en varias escenas y junto con esta la referencia al arte clásico, como a la obra de Alighieri, con viñetas que vamos viendo entre cada incidente. Pero aparte de eso La casa que Jack construyó es una obra crítica, satírica y divertida de uno de los directores mas atrevidos, convirtiéndola en una broma de mal gusto muy bien planeada. Con esta película Von trier parodia y hace una crítica al arte y al cine, mostrando el papel estúpido y estereotipado de las mujer en este, con buena música, y su peculiar y magnífico estilo. Expand
Zoomy148Jul 10, 2019
Невероятно скучный и унылый фильм.
Сходили в кинотеатр вместе с девушкой на этот "шедевр".
Невероятно скучный и унылый фильм.
Сходили в кинотеатр вместе с девушкой на этот "шедевр".
Так сильно мы еще никогда не страдали на просмотре чего либо,невероятно растянутый хронометраж,ужасный сюжет,скука,уныние и вопрос :"зачем я сюда пришел?",это все что будет преследовать вас на протяжении всего фильма.Однозначно не рекомендую.
PanchogulNov 29, 2019
La Casa Que Jack Construyó, del director danés Lars Von Trier, es la estremecedora narración de Jack y de los asesinatos que cometió durante 12 años a través de un diálogo con un enigmático personaje, Verge (Bruno Ganz), mientras realizan unLa Casa Que Jack Construyó, del director danés Lars Von Trier, es la estremecedora narración de Jack y de los asesinatos que cometió durante 12 años a través de un diálogo con un enigmático personaje, Verge (Bruno Ganz), mientras realizan un misterioso viaje.

La verdad no me pareció la inmensa maravilla como muchos hacían ver a esta película, es larga y lenta, el protagonista me causó una rara atracción fisica al igual que Joaquín Phoenix haciendo del Guasón, pero más allá de eso, ésta película no me causó ninguna impresión a destacar.
eva3si0nFeb 4, 2020
Before I watched The House That Jack Buil I expected to get a story about a maniac who has what purpose or his motivation will be something justified. It 's not here, a few stories are gone, connectivity is minimal. The stories themselves doBefore I watched The House That Jack Buil I expected to get a story about a maniac who has what purpose or his motivation will be something justified. It 's not here, a few stories are gone, connectivity is minimal. The stories themselves do not shine originality. The only thing that succeeded was the ending of the film, where a paralel was held with Hell 's circles as Dante 's. And so the film caused only disappointment, apparently I am not given to understand its meaning. Expand
ABRJun 2, 2019
This movie has very rare ost parts, looks like it was the plan of the author, to show how Jack look at the world - emotionless. All violence scenes look not shocking, but like average actions. The only thought I had while watching the movieThis movie has very rare ost parts, looks like it was the plan of the author, to show how Jack look at the world - emotionless. All violence scenes look not shocking, but like average actions. The only thought I had while watching the movie was: "I wish I had so much free time and didn't care about anything in this world, like this guy".

OCD was over very fast, so we just see a people killing brick. Thin lines to Dante's Divine Comedy is a full trash. Victims presented as hypertrophied morons. But, probably, we saw them with Jack's eyes.

I didn't like this movie at all, but atleast I can remember something about it. May be that's what was all about.
Bertaut1Apr 24, 2019
Self-indulgent, disturbing, and hilarious

Self-indulgent, disturbing, and hilarious

Ostensibly a serial killer film, in reality, the latest from provocateur Lars von Trier is more an interrogation of his own psychology and an "up yours" to his detractors, daring you to be offended by the violence done to a duckling, the cold-blooded murder of children, the verbal degradation of a woman, the celebration of Albert Speer, or the mockery of American gun culture. Although far too long and tending towards self-indulgence, House is nowhere near von Trier's best - films like Breaking the Waves (1996), Dancer in the Dark (2000), Dogville (2003), and Melancholia (2011). However, love it or hate it, you will react to it.

The plot follows a serial-killer named Jack (an emotionless Matt Dillon) as he relates five of his most meaningful murders to the mysterious "Verge" (Bruno Ganz). A wannabe architect whose mother forced him to be an engineer, Jack, who suffers from OCD, contends that his murders are literal works of art, and has thus given himself the moniker "Mr Sophistication".

Originally developed as a TV miniseries by von Trier and Jenle Hallund, who has a "Story By" credit, the film premièred out of competition at Cannes 2018, where it was the first film in Cannes history to feature a warning on the tickets (for "scènes violentes"), and at the much-publicised première, over one-hundred people walked out, although those that stayed gave it a ten-minute standing ovation.

Although Jack is not a 1:1 surrogate for von Trier, it's hard to deny the analogy of how Jack feels the need to one-up himself with each murder, becoming more and more sadistic as he goes. This, of course, has become a common criticism of von Trier's recent filmography. He has also been accused of misogyny and of exploiting the psychological (and often physical) suffering of his actors, just as Jack is a misogynist who exploits the suffering of his victims. And this isn't subtext; von Trier himself makes the connection explicit when a discussion of genocide and tyranny features a montage of scenes from his own filmography.

As with Nymph()maniac, the film is structured around a conversation with frequent digressions. But instead of fly-fishing, parallel parking, and the Fibonacci sequence, we here see topics such as viticulture, the oak tree in Buchenwald, cathedral architecture, and the poetry of William Blake. One especially interesting digression is a monologue where Jack laments the fact that men are the defacto villains of every situation. Coming across like a slightly more unhinged Jordan Peterson, Jack has no time for debates concerning gender fluidity or sexual misconduct, even going so far as to suggest that women are more cooperative murder victims because they're "easier to work with."

Aside from the scene in which a duckling is tortured, by far the most disturbing scene involves Jacqueline (Riley Keough), whom Jack has been dating for a while. What's most distressing is not how Jack kills her, but what precedes her murder, as Jack mercilessly verbally belittles her, calling her "Simple", because he believes she is so unintelligent. He then takes great delight in revealing to her that he is Mr Sophistication, suggesting that she scream; the futility of which he demonstrates by shouting out an open window, "no one will help you." It's a devastating scene, far more emotionally upsetting than it is physically violent, and because of that, it's one of the best scenes in the film, provoking a genuine emotional response.

As unsettling as this scene is, the film can also be extremely funny, with the entire second murder playing out like an extended Key and Peele sketch featuring calamity on top of mishap, Jack's OCD firmly getting the best of him, and finally a fortuitous act of God!

However, things are far from perfect. For starters, it can be incredibly self-indulgent and is unnecessarily long. I'm also not sure a clip reel of von Trier's own films was the wisest choice. Additionally, the female characters, by the very nature of the narrative, are empty shells who exist only to be murdered. Some of the digressions concerning art and its relationship to love and hate are also (perhaps intentionally) intellectually vapid.

Whilst it could be argued that House is about a desensitised world indifferent to suffering, it seems to be more about Lars von Trier and the criticisms that have been levelled against him over the years. More an apologia than an apology, von Trier is attempting to use the depiction of violence so as to facilitate introspection, reflecting on the importance (or lack thereof) of morality and culpability in artistic creation. House is an especially self-reflexive and somewhat self-disdainful film, which Von Trier has intimated may be his last, and if that is so, it certainly makes for a fittingly provocative and confrontational final word.
bataguilaAug 21, 2019
Es una comedia la 1ra hora, bien contada, no da hueva como otras de este director, la 2 hora ya es shock las muertes, no es pata para cualquier publico
jorjicostava123Sep 14, 2019
Brilliant film by Lars von Trier, Matt Dillon did a good job with his role, dark and cruel picture, but also brilliant . The picture lasts 2 hours and you will not be bored, I advise ! Page 10 OF 10
TripleBeamFeb 5, 2020
for those who don't understand this movie: it details the process by which the protagonist ultimately loses its' soul. The psychological ailments the protagonist possesses; are offset by its high level of sentience. Thus, being afor those who don't understand this movie: it details the process by which the protagonist ultimately loses its' soul. The psychological ailments the protagonist possesses; are offset by its high level of sentience. Thus, being a irreconcilable (or broken) soul, it is reconditioned in the abyss for universal posterity. It could have chosen to not limit the will of others and observe a life free of harm.

it did not.