United Artists | Release Date: May 10, 2019
2.6
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 28 Ratings
Watch Now
Johno72May 17, 2019
This movie had me laughing from beginning to end, Anne Hathaway & Rebel Wilson were a dynamic duo in this movie. I love that they did a remake with a female cast because it worked so well. I also loved the ending (No I won’t give it away)This movie had me laughing from beginning to end, Anne Hathaway & Rebel Wilson were a dynamic duo in this movie. I love that they did a remake with a female cast because it worked so well. I also loved the ending (No I won’t give it away) BUT there could easily be a sequel to this movie & I am truly hoping they do. A sequel would be amazing because there’s so much more they could do & so many different storylines. I love both Anne Hathaway & Rebel Wilson & they really did such a fantastic job in this movie. Fingers crossed that it does well enough for them to make a sequel. Expand
Davrosdaleks1May 10, 2019
The con artist comedy The Hustle is a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Michael Caine and Steve Martin, which was itself a remake of Bedtime Stories with Marlon Brando and David Niven. The lack of advertisement for this didn't leave meThe con artist comedy The Hustle is a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Michael Caine and Steve Martin, which was itself a remake of Bedtime Stories with Marlon Brando and David Niven. The lack of advertisement for this didn't leave me with high hopes. However, the movie was better than expected. Still, it was also a pale imitation of DRS.

The movie's biggest issue is that the plot from it's predecessor is basically replicated point-by-point. Everything is too expected. The reason Dirty Rotten Scoundrels became more entrenched in public memory than bedtime stories was because it was willing to take the story on a different trajectory. I mean the general idea of two con artists competing over a mark is a general idea that could've been reinvented in multiple ways. They could have at least changed geographic locations. If you haven't seen DRS, you'll probably get a lot more entertainment value out of this.

Rebel Wilson plays the Steve Martin/uncouth, "small-time" con artist role. The problem is that the film relies too much on her. It's clear, that a good portion of filming involved director Chris Addison just having Wilson ad-lib. When Wilson is funny, she is very funny. She can have such a delightfully sharp tongue. But she produces a lot of groaners, too. In fairness to Wilson, it was up to the director and editor to which material showed up on film. Doesn't help that the actress' character and a lot of her material feels recycled from previous films. They try to make her character sympathetic in the end, but the character is so acidic the audience's empathy isn't earned.

Anne Hathaway fairs a lot better as the Michael Caine/classy and haughty con artist. Her posh British accent is clearly fake, but she's so committed to the role that I couldn't help enjoying it. (The same can't be said for another accent she uses later on.) She also has a great control of non-verbal mannerisms. The best difference between this and DRS is that unlike with Michael Caine's total straight man The Hustle isn't afraid to knock Hathaway's haughty character down a peg and make her the butt of the joke at times. It's fun to see the character's rare moments where she loses her temper and drops all sense of control and class.

Alex Sharp plays the mark, and I'm afraid the character isn't very interesting or really leaves much of an impression.

I know I have a lot of complaints about this film, but the reason I didn't give this a lower rating is because when it was all said and done I didn't have a bad time. When it's funny, the movie is funny. (Also doesn't hurt that since this is set in the French Riviera, the whole thing looks nice.) This is by no means a great movie, but I didn't walk away feeling cheated either. Thing is that I can see some people really liking or disliking this. I say take a chance, but there's no need to make this something to see immediately.
manningn15May 16, 2019
The Hustle was a good movie but it was not great. It was not as funny as I thought it was going to from seeing the previews. Some of the things that were suppose to be funny were not all that funny. With all of that Rebel Wilson and AnneThe Hustle was a good movie but it was not great. It was not as funny as I thought it was going to from seeing the previews. Some of the things that were suppose to be funny were not all that funny. With all of that Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway still gave fantastic performances and it was not a horrible movie and it did make me laugh once in a while. Expand