Netflix | Release Date: November 1, 2019
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 123 Ratings
Watch Now
msideri12Nov 1, 2019
Martin Scorsese’s best in decades....absolute beast of a cast and an even better story.
MichaelCorleoneNov 1, 2019
Irishman is not just a movie, it's a piece of Art. Art of directing, acting, writing, editing & ...
And its gonna be happen: Al Pacino's second Oscar. let me clarify this; De Niro & Pesci are great but if I just wanna tell you frankly, this picture belongs to AL PACINO.
peymank1989Nov 1, 2019
A Master Class in Film-making This film will doubtless go down as "The Godfather" of its generation, with Pacino and De Niro both on hand to assure continuity. Neither of them has done anything remotely as brilliant as this in decades, andA Master Class in Film-making This film will doubtless go down as "The Godfather" of its generation, with Pacino and De Niro both on hand to assure continuity. Neither of them has done anything remotely as brilliant as this in decades, and the great revelation of the film, Joe Pesci, hasn't done anything at all. It has taken Scorsese's alchemy, back at its peak, to bring the three of them together in ways that surpass the sum of their considerable parts Expand
Lukamessi98Nov 5, 2019
One word... MASTERPIECE.
Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe pesci under the magnificent Martin Scorsese.
AmyMArtNov 5, 2019
I can't believe that I'm actually saying this, but I think this may be my new all-time favorite film.
MattBrady99Nov 1, 2019
Jimmy Hoffa: “I heard you paint houses.”

Frank Sheeran: “Yes, I do.” It’s a great day when you get to see a new Martin Scorsese movie, but a new gangster movie staring some of one of the greatest actors that have ever bless cinema, now
Jimmy Hoffa: “I heard you paint houses.”

Frank Sheeran: “Yes, I do.”

It’s a great day when you get to see a new Martin Scorsese movie, but a new gangster movie staring some of one of the greatest actors that have ever bless cinema, now that’s killing two birds with one bullet. I’ve said this many times before, but whenever Scorsese releases a new movie - I’m there, as I have 100% faith he will deliver something so crafted in style where his passion to create a fresh new experience for audience to slip right back into loving movies. And Scorsese has made another masterpiece.

‘The Irishman’ is an old school masterpiece. A sweeping epic that’s so rich and timely through it’s presentation that I was reminded of the likes of Coppola and Leone. Everything from the razor sharp back and forward conversations with characters, long takes, and the fantastic use of music that helps create the setting and time period.

Now let me talk about the visual effects in the movie - something that everyone including Scorsese himself was worried about. While at first it was a bit uncanny to see fresh faces from De Niro, Pacino and Pesci. The movie has a difficult task, because the entire runtime takes place in the past and occasionally it will cut back to a present day/older De Niro, aka what he looks like now, so it’s so easy to judge on the cgi wizardry. I can safely say you really get use to it after awhile and doesn’t distract from the amazing performances, as I could still feel the emotion from their faces. I bought into it and the evolution of the technical is absolutely astonishment.

Robert De Niro plays a cold, yet charismatic gangster, Frank Sheeran - a friend of Jimmy Hoffa. He follows orders to kill and dose it without a sweat. His children are afraid of him and have seen both sides of him, which would later hit him harder than a million ton of bricks. He doesn’t need to say or do anything to express the characters thoughts and feelings. Fantastic as usual.

Al Pacino plays a loud month Jimmy Hoffa that’s a huge ball of energy and reeks of desperation, which Pacino portrays beautifully. From ‘Dog Day Afternoon’, to this, it’s amazing how Pacino never lost that fiery energy that makes him so captivating to watch. The fact he’s never been in a Scorsese movie baffles me, but am loving his comeback recently.

Joe Pesci plays Russell Bufalino, a silent and collective man who sniffs out trouble and takes care of “business”. If you expect to see the nut job Pesci, then think again. He’s brilliant in the movie. It’s great seeing Pesci back after disappearing from the spotlight for a couple of years, and it’s almost like he never left at all.

With the run time of 3 hours and 29 minutes, not a single frame felt pointless. At times the length was felt, but I was never bored. Thelma Schoonmaker, the editor of Scorsese movies is a legend and needs no introduction. Without spoiling anything, but there’s an incredible scene involving a woman terrified to turn the car engine on as the camera lingers on a shot of keys hanging in the ignition waiting to be turned. When she dose there’s a sharp cut to an exploding vehicle (not hers) with the engine roaring as the sound affect. The most tense scene in the entire movie.

And the cinematography by Rodrigo Prieto was excellent with the use of color that made it visually striking.

Martin Scorsese, the man who revived the gangster genre for what it is and now he’s the one to bury it. The shot outs are often unexpected and messy - basically violence in general. Almost similar to ‘Once Upon a Time In Hollywood’, because there’s an underlining message of age and the modern generation slipping through as the old ways ain't the same anymore. You are taken through a journey of a mobster from youth to old age.

Overall rating: Cinema at its finest. I’m just in awe of the thought we got a movie like this where no other studio wouldn’t dare to touch it for some reason. What an experience.
The3AcademySinsNov 9, 2019
The Irishman is a reflective, meditative, beautiful film from the master, Martin Scorsese. This is one of the most profound movies I have seen all year. The story is a sprawling gangster epic that truly leaves no stone un-turned. TheThe Irishman is a reflective, meditative, beautiful film from the master, Martin Scorsese. This is one of the most profound movies I have seen all year. The story is a sprawling gangster epic that truly leaves no stone un-turned. The brilliance of the story is that it does not romanticize the gangster lifestyle, but truly shows the curse of a man punished with longevity for his actions.

The acting is incredible all across the board. Robert De Niro gives a virtuoso performance. Al Pacino chews the scenery in a way that is both magnificent and desperately heartbreaking. Joe Pesci makes a triumphant return to the big screen, and he is arguably the best part of the film. The ensemble supporting cast of mobsters and political figures are all so charming and serve to fill up this world to its brim.

The de-aging technology used on De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino was expertly implemented. I actually didn't mind it at all, and it was used in such a way so that it actually served the story rather than distract from it. It's absolutely remarkable to see.

The movie is not perfect, however. It is 3 and a half hours long, and I felt every minute of that run time. I actually started to get anxious over sitting in one place for so long. Also, I felt that the way the story was told, through the characters playing telephone, got very repetitive and it sometimes sucked the life out of the movie. All in all, this is a masterpiece from a master of the craft. Definitely do not miss it!
MikeaaaNov 5, 2019
The best movie of the year by far, Martin Scorcese proves yet again that he is one of the all-time best directors. Robert Deniro also has a wonderful performance which is worthy of all the awards.
AbhijeetsahaNov 8, 2019
Perhaps the best film of the year and one of the best in the last 2 decades. One of the greatest crime films ever. The actors are phenomenal and Martin Scorsese is truly a genius. Deserves Oscars in almost every major category
Hussei12Nov 3, 2019
I TRULY loved the movie, my friends were astonished at the ending.
I recommend everybody to have this experience.
You will not regret it.
SarahWillaimsonNov 5, 2019
It may well be Scorcesse's Best Film which is saying a lot. I spent about 30 mins afterward crying because of this movie. A definite must-see.
KojimaStrandNov 8, 2019
A Martín Scorsese Film! Se trata simplemente del poder de la unión, unimos el nombre de Martín Scorsese y Robert De Niro, unimos Al Pacino y Joe Pesci... Y pumm: CINE DE MAFIA
CMCNov 10, 2019
Very entertaining, unnecessarily too long without quite becoming epic, and a somewhat predictable replay of the boys doing their mafia thing. Great acting, but De Niro is just his usual De Niro. Al Pacino does a great job of acting but theVery entertaining, unnecessarily too long without quite becoming epic, and a somewhat predictable replay of the boys doing their mafia thing. Great acting, but De Niro is just his usual De Niro. Al Pacino does a great job of acting but the film suffers because I think he was mis-cast; a more bland meathead tough-guy type was needed for that role. Joe Pesci was the surprise. He was allowed to play a more restrained, non-whiny role and he was excellent. For all of the concentration on the Teamsters stuff, I still did not feel like I learned that much new about that world. De Niro has two wives and there is no development of his relationship with either of them. There is also a lot of footage about his daughter rejecting him, but this also seems underdeveloped, forced and not convincing. There are a few cinemagraphic Scorsese "effects" moments like slow-motion crowd shots, but none of these are original in 2019, and none are gripping like some scenes from Goodfellas. While I completely agree with Scorsese's critique of the Marvel Action movies, and this is most definitely a film and not a movie, his extended critique of predictable franchises with safe money actors hits a little too close here as well. Expand
tropicAcesNov 1, 2019
Everyone will talk about De Niro and Pacino, and rightfully so, but it’s Joe Pesci that stole the show and broke my heart.
Rebecca31Nov 10, 2019
The highly anticipated The Irishman has finally hit cinemas so don’t miss the chance to see it on the big screen. I’m not being dramatic but if you want to see this in a cinema you’ll only have a couple of weeks before it’s gone. Not to worryThe highly anticipated The Irishman has finally hit cinemas so don’t miss the chance to see it on the big screen. I’m not being dramatic but if you want to see this in a cinema you’ll only have a couple of weeks before it’s gone. Not to worry because all you Netflix fans will be able to watch it from the comfort of your own home at the end of the month with the option of pausing for as many bathroom breaks as you’ll need. At three and a half hours long The Irishman probably won’t appeal to some cinemagoers, although if you just resist the urge to buy a gallon of coke then you’ll be fine.

Directed by Martin Scorsese and filled to the brim with a standout cast. Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Al Pacino, Anna Paquin, Stephen Graham, Harvey Keitel, the list goes on and I won’t name everyone but there are more than a few faces you’ll recognise. Spanning decades, The Irishman is told from the point of view of mobster/hitman Frank Sheeran (De Niro). I really loved this film, a brilliantly written story, and what stood out the most for me aside from the acting was the script. Fast-paced, witty with a bit of dark humour thrown into the mix. It feels authentic, it’s unexpectedly emotional and will make you laugh. The acting from everyone is exceptional but particularly Joe Pesci’s performance stole the show for me. Regarding the lengthy running time, I did feel it was a little too long. For the most part I was engaged but in the last act of the film it was starting to feel dragged out. Almost like Scorsese didn’t want it to end, but can we blame him? He’s given us the best performances from De Niro, Pacino and Pesci in years. There was enough material here that this could have easily been a mini-series. Each to their own, the running time isn’t bothering everyone but The Irishman could have lost 10 or 15 minutes easily.

The digital de-aging of the main characters is something I was concerned about as we’ve seen this technology used a few times now and it’s clearly getting better. I was worried it would be distracting and look a little silly but this is far from true. It isn’t quite perfect yet but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time, more importantly it’s at a point where you it doesn’t take you out of the film and you quickly forget about it. Although it looks impressive and gave Scorsese the opportunity to make a film over a few decades using the actors he wanted I believe there is a fine line between using CGI to make current actors look older or younger and using it to replace them completely. Makeup can only do so much and CGI needs to step in if you want to make the likes of De Niro and Pesci look significantly younger. The technology has improved to this point where you can use it in a film without it being too much of a distraction but to use it to bring back a dead actor (yes I’m talking about James Dean) then it’s gone too far. The day CGI is used to replace actors completely and taking a performance away from a living actor then it’s the day it’s gone too far and I dread to think what will happen to film if this idea gains popularity. Scorsese has shown us how it should be used in The Irishman and the result is a truly terrific film you won’t want to miss. The Irishman was never going to be at Goodfellas level. As far as I’m concerned The Godfather I, II and Goodfellas are peak gangster movies and nothing will ever beat them. Film fans take the time to see The Irishman, highly recommended.
Brain_SeewellNov 13, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh man, what can I say about Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman? Well, I was excited to see it - something of an understatement - but it looks like I may have completely misjudged what the master auteur was trying to accomplish here. Doesn’t matter because Scorsese still knows how to surprise and delight. As we’re all aware, the great director has been the latest artist to suffer at the hands of a rabid fanbase with access to an internet connection and a smidge of anonymity. Personally, I saw absolutely no problem with his comments about Marvel movies - they’re popcorn flicks, guys, and that’s okay! I did think that making a film that placates the backlash brigade, especially one that cost in excess of 140 million to make, was a bit much; but, y’know, if anyone know’s what he’s doing, it’s Papa Scorsese. The man is in a class of his own at this point. So I popped The Irishman on Netflix - which was odd because I thought they were deep into a rivalry with Disney’s new streaming service - and... well, I’m not gonna lie, I was very surprised, at first. For one, it was a lot grittier than I expected; more like The Joker than anything else I’ve seen. There was also a lot of focus on the criminal element, some pretty gratuitous murders and, given the demographic these movies are aimed at, a LOT of swearing. Honestly, the potty mouth on these guys! So at this point, I’m thinking “Oh, he’s gotta be some kind of anti-hero or something, like The Punisher”. Fair enough. I carry on watching but my wife’s a little bored and goes to bed because she’s a philistine. It’s about halfway through the film - and it is loooong, you guys, really long - when it suddenly dawns on me: Not once did I see DeNiro use a single superpower. In fact, he doesn’t use one throughout the entire film, which is exactly the kind of brave creative decision Scorsese is known for. The Irishman is basically the most in-depth origin story in cinema. If you’re going into this expecting the kind of whizz-bang rhythms normally associated with Marvel you will be bitterly disappointed; however, if you’re willing to open yourself up to a true visionary’s take on how to build the character of a super-hero, you will have your socks blown clean off. Honestly, there is nothing like it. All in all, this is a fantastic movie, probably the best in the genre, that makes some truly unexpected turns; however, I have to admit that I’m a little peeved that I have to wait for the sequel to see The Irishman don his full costume. Expand
thewoufNov 12, 2019
An epic movie, the best Scorsese movie since Casino or Goodfellas. While it deals with mafia it's still different with more melancoly. The last hour will deeply move you forever.
Easily the best movie of 2019 and one of the best for 20
Easily the best movie of 2019 and one of the best for 20 years.
The Scorsese's Once upon a time in America.
MarcDoyleNov 2, 2019
What an incredible film - an epic. The performances, across the board, are tremendous. So amazing to see Jonathan Morris back in his vestments, by the way. He provides a subtle but important frame to the film - nice uroboros. Joe Pesci isWhat an incredible film - an epic. The performances, across the board, are tremendous. So amazing to see Jonathan Morris back in his vestments, by the way. He provides a subtle but important frame to the film - nice uroboros. Joe Pesci is just phenomenal - I truly hope he picks up at least a supporting actor nom for his performance, if not a win. The dialogue is pitch-perfect. Just an amazing job by Scorsese. Expand
mazewaxieNov 1, 2019
A masterpiece. One of the greatest crime films ever. It's up there with The Godfather, The Godfather Part II and Goodfellas.
goodfellas100Nov 1, 2019
Classis Scorsese! When you watch a film over three and a half hours long and it never tires, you know you've witnessed a brilliant movie. You would be insane to miss this on the big screen. For me it doesn't quite match the genius ofClassis Scorsese! When you watch a film over three and a half hours long and it never tires, you know you've witnessed a brilliant movie. You would be insane to miss this on the big screen. For me it doesn't quite match the genius of Goodfellas. But I know many people would disagree with me. Expand
neeeeeeiinNov 2, 2019
Marvel cucks giving this movie negative scores because they're intimidated by what a real movie looks like, unlike they're awful stupid CGI theme park rides
KallicNov 1, 2019
Wow, was skeptical but scorsese done it again! It's different than goodfellas and casino a lot deeper and melancholic but so fascinating and profound. The performancees are superb. The movie is slower but never boring and the time flies by.Wow, was skeptical but scorsese done it again! It's different than goodfellas and casino a lot deeper and melancholic but so fascinating and profound. The performancees are superb. The movie is slower but never boring and the time flies by. One of Marty's best work, and that's means something. Can't wait to watch it again on Netflix! Expand
chanmyaekyaw123Nov 5, 2019
best mobster movie of Martin Scorsese's career. De-aging is also acceptable.
Worth to collect the oscars.
OneToughSOBNov 1, 2019
"You can't miss The Big Picture" The movie of the year and one of the greatest mob drama movies of all time

"it is what it is"
parham4realNov 1, 2019
One ofe the best Martin Scorsese's movie loved de niro and Pacino performance
mnandaNov 3, 2019
Just saw this last night on the big screen and the experience was inherently contradictory. I didn't care one whit about anyone on screen or anything that was happening... yet somehow, despite the length, I remained engaged. I'm hardJust saw this last night on the big screen and the experience was inherently contradictory. I didn't care one whit about anyone on screen or anything that was happening... yet somehow, despite the length, I remained engaged. I'm hard pressed to think of a film with so much talent, made with such a high level of craft and artistry, made about people I had no investment in. It was odd. The only reason I cared at all wasn't b/c I had a relationship with the characters, but with the actors, the filmmaker and the genre. The film is intrinsically bound to its pedigree and that makes it interesting to anyone who has watched these careers unfold over lifetimes... But it doesn't make it inherently a good movie. Expand
knissenNov 10, 2019
Unless you're predisposed to unconditionally and indiscriminately love just about anything by Team Scorcese/DeNiro/Pacino, you'll be disappointed in The Irishman. The movie seemed to have lost sight (or never had it) of what was the mainUnless you're predisposed to unconditionally and indiscriminately love just about anything by Team Scorcese/DeNiro/Pacino, you'll be disappointed in The Irishman. The movie seemed to have lost sight (or never had it) of what was the main story or character, and I felt myself struggling to figure that out every step of the way. There are long movies and then there are unnecessarily long movies; this was the latter. The last hour, especially, was inexcusably so. Pesci was understated and magnificent, while DeNiro and Pacino seemed miscast and cartoonish. Scorcese felt he had to tell *everything* about the mafia and the teamsters union over decades, and I mean absolutely everything: every event, every character, it was ridiculous. I know some of the critics have applauded the slow pace, the artistry of the photography, but I just don't get that. How about story? How about understanding relationships and what motivates a character? This was Goodfellas, with lots of time added in and lots of fun taken out. Expand
Georgemuller052Nov 12, 2019
Es una buena película pero me dejó con ganas de más, recomendada hasta cierto punto.
MetaflixNov 10, 2019
There’s no question Martin Scorsese has forever left his mark on cinema. Still to this day he serves as the ordained staunchest defender of cinema. And when his maker finally reclaims him to the grandest of Wonder Theaters in the heavensThere’s no question Martin Scorsese has forever left his mark on cinema. Still to this day he serves as the ordained staunchest defender of cinema. And when his maker finally reclaims him to the grandest of Wonder Theaters in the heavens above, he’ll deservedly be placed on the Mount Rushmore of cinema down here on earth, forever perched just a bit higher and with far greater permanence than us regular folk.

This review won’t be some drawn out ode to one of the greatest filmmakers of all time—and in particular our favorite director. His latest flick, ‘The Irishman,’ is magnanimous in its breadth and scale, though it isn’t perfect. We wish the blood effects used throughout the film were practical instead of CGI. The Canada Dry product placement is nagging. The decision to cast Action Bronson for a certain scene is downright bizarre and the ending should’ve been edited down, shaving off some of the bloated 3.5 hour run time.

Yet think about what this film represents. We have Scorsese directing De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci along with a veritable “who’s who” of the gangster genre. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime reunion of what is called the “New Hollywood” era of cinema, the movement in American film history from the mid-1960s to the early 1980s when a new generation of young actors and filmmakers came to prominence in the U.S.

We were fortunate enough to see this film at the gorgeous and historic Belasco Theatre. The experience felt like a throwback to the golden age of cinema. We’ll always cherish the memory and be thankful for all the enjoyment and pleasure Mr. Scorsese has given us over the years. If you’ve benefited the same, see the movie in select theaters now or on Netflix beginning November 27th.