Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: April 15, 2016
Generally favorable reviews based on 782 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
johnmich_123Apr 15, 2016
From a Theatre artist’s perspective, music speaks for things at sort here...

From a Theatre artist’s perspective, music speaks for things at sort here...

The Jungle Book is a roaring success! With its CGI, actions and emotions all intact, there is nothing more I could ask from it. While others whine about how absurd the injection of the two short musical pieces “Bare Necessities” and “I Wanna Be Like You” turned out in the film, I’d rather those were the evoking and gentle areas in the story; likely serving as asides for the emotionally-larger than life characters, Baloo and King Louie. In fact, I could even hum a tone for Shere Khan, the chilling and villainous Bengal Tiger who would do everything to eradicate Mowgli from the jungle.

Technically, music speaks for things at sort here- hatred, fear, love, frustrations, etc. We can’t entirely get away from it. And music, as a good old piece from musicals and other theatrical conventions, gets a fresh touch in this non-musical live-action adventure. Nonetheless, even with the wolf pack’s stoic pronunciation of the “Laws of the Jungle”, familiar notes are already rung in the audience’s hearts. But, had it been that they decided to turn this into a full musical, the film would definitely flop!

A well-presented story…
Eventually, for the first time since Avatar and Life of Pi, I enjoyed a seamlessly presented story. A story that stands on its own- the Jungle Book will always be remembered as it is. It may not be an utter classic, but it is enough a masterpiece to behold.
Ultimately, the Jungle Book goes beyond the Disney branding as a distinct collaboration of talents, Jon Favreau (Director), Justin Marks (for the characters’ well-paced dialogue), Ben Kingsley (voice of Bagheera), Bill Murray (voice of Baloo), Lupita Nyong’o (voice of Rakhsa), Scarlett Johansson (voice of Kaa), Idris Elba (voice of Shere Khan), Giancarlo Esposito (voice of Akela), debuting actor Neel Sethi (as Mowgli) and most of all, Rudyard Kipling for penning the classic story of the same title.

A wholesome package!
The Jungle Book has everything in it. It could be a political satire when it wants to, or a dark and grim propaganda. It may relieve the intense atmosphere off with a wry humor or tearful goodbye, a little bit of music and jovial monkey dancing as “verfremdungseffekt” and even perhaps a wild chorus of primitive growls that speak of more serious human agenda at hand.

Magnanimously, the Jungle Book reawakens the Lion King in its head-docking stampedes, resurrects the Passion of the Christ in Mowgli’s bearing of the weight for the greater good and stupendously animates Alice Walker’s Flowers in Mowgli’s rite of passage, symbolized by the Red Flower (Torch of Fire) he carries facing Shere Khan.

As mentioned earlier this film will roar at all ages since it is more than just a children’s action, adventure and entertainment tale. It will snarl at you, shaking and swinging you from the gut.
(One last note though: Don’t bother watching this if not in IMAX 3D. Otherwise, you might only end up cheating yourself of the spectacle.)
marc5477Sep 20, 2016
After watching three terrible movies (X-Men Apocalypse, Independence Day Resurgence, Where to Invade Next) , I was relieved that the Jungle Book was decent. I actually liked it more than the original which I only enjoyed for the music. AlmostAfter watching three terrible movies (X-Men Apocalypse, Independence Day Resurgence, Where to Invade Next) , I was relieved that the Jungle Book was decent. I actually liked it more than the original which I only enjoyed for the music. Almost all the characters are portrayed better in this live action movie than in the cartoon including Mowgli, Baloo, Loui and Khan. Baghera was basically the same which is fine, and really the only disappointment was Kaa who is now some sort of magical female enchantress type character rather than being comically weak and clumsy. I prefer the original Kaa character over the new one but its a minor issue. This movie improved on the story by making it more cohesive (by adding more backstory) and I thought that it worked. I thought the final confrontation was complete asinine and I really missed the acapella style vultures from the original. I would love to have heard more music in this movie as well since that is what made the original memorable and because the story is overly simple. There was some music in the movie but it was more of an afterthought. I would have rather the music be more prominent like a traditional musical. Still a good movie and fun for the entire family. Expand
JeneferAug 6, 2016
The Jungle Book is successful in its animation techniques and the excellent choice of voice-match to character. However, the choice of the main character,the little boy Mowgli was not quiet right. In his role, he acted as a learned actor notThe Jungle Book is successful in its animation techniques and the excellent choice of voice-match to character. However, the choice of the main character,the little boy Mowgli was not quiet right. In his role, he acted as a learned actor not a spontaneous performer, his fears, his wonders, his daring fall short of moving us-the viewers-to feel it sincere and touching, in other words we have felt he was acting his role not being.it.

Few scenes needed more attention in its details like the scene when Mowgli found the small elephant in the pit. There should have been more attention to the way Mowgli ties up the robes,skillfully makes the knots,roll them around the elephant climbs up and connect the robes to the other elephants outside gesturing to them to move back...this important scene has been minimized and presented small?
Why is Mowgli's teeth so white? he is living in the jungle and eating like the way animals eat?
The bees scars which spotted his body have disappeared in the evening,nothing was in his body??
These small details matter if the movie is meant to mount high.in its rank.
Briefly and generally, he animation is beautiful,the facial expressions of the animals are marvelous and excellent is the voice choice.
sanyrubOct 10, 2016
Decent live action film with amazing visuals that cannot get past of a generic plot with not much thought. A good version? Yes. Oscars and awards talk? How? When? Hmm no. It isn´t anywhere as good as to deserve such thing. Watch for theDecent live action film with amazing visuals that cannot get past of a generic plot with not much thought. A good version? Yes. Oscars and awards talk? How? When? Hmm no. It isn´t anywhere as good as to deserve such thing. Watch for the visuals and the kids will love it. But there´s no more to it. Nothing deeper or with special artistic value. Expand
CarFan1999Aug 12, 2016
Before I start the review, there are two things that i'd recommend you do before seeing this film. Number 1- watch the original 1967 animated film as there are many references from that film in this new one. Number 2- see this in 3D, as itBefore I start the review, there are two things that i'd recommend you do before seeing this film. Number 1- watch the original 1967 animated film as there are many references from that film in this new one. Number 2- see this in 3D, as it improves the visuals and heightens the action.

I was skeptical about this movie originally as previous live action Disney movies (based off their cartoons) were not highly rated and Disney itself is hellbent on making money with remakes, sequels, and spin-offs. This seemed like another cash grab movie. However, I'm happy to report that this new Jungle Book is a properly done remake. It honors the original source material (the actual book & 67' movie) and improves upon it at the same time.

All I can say about the original is that it's a cute movie with nice songs and fluid animation. But it lacks a core plot, lacks drama, and is filled with filler scenes. The new one takes the basic plot line of the original and adds all the elements that were missing from it to make a deeper, darker, and more complex story. The action scenes are tense and violent, emotion is clearly displayed, and the story itself takes a balanced amount of material from the original movie and the books by Rudyard Kipling. Our main character, Mowgli, has adventures with the various animals while dealing with the threat of tiger Shere Khan. As this film is all animated, except Mowgli, the voice acting is done quite well from all the A- list actors involved and the one real actor does a superb job as well. The songs are very catchy and the lighter scenes are pleasant as well.

However, the majority of the credit for this should go to the animators. The animation here is so realistic and detailed that it seems completely real and believable. Since this was filmed and created for 3D specifically, it's best to see this that way. So is this a perfect movie? No. The biggest problem with this movie is the way the story is told. While a lot better over the original, the story is a little episodic and feels disjointed. The 2/3 act is overly long and a little boring. In addition, since the voice actors are so well known that when their characters spoke, at times I could only envision the actor speaking in the recording booth. Overall, this new 2016 Jungle Book is a technical masterpiece with wonderful animation, memorable characters, and a story that; while disjointed and overly long; is an improvement over the original.
StevieGJDMay 23, 2016
This is a good movie for kids, but I was underwhelmed. The digital rendering of the animals is excellent, really great. This is a visually stunning film. Some of the references to the 1967 animated movie are cute and endearing. But theThis is a good movie for kids, but I was underwhelmed. The digital rendering of the animals is excellent, really great. This is a visually stunning film. Some of the references to the 1967 animated movie are cute and endearing. But the script is the problem here. The story is corny and feels phony. Some of the short appearances of characters just seem pointless. While I absolutely love Scarlett Johnansson, her character's brief appearance in the film adds absolutely nothing. Much of the movie felt like this pointless scene. So, while they clearly have the technology to put Kipling's book on the screen, they needed to focus more on the plot and writing. I expected it to be great. Unless you are a child, it is not. Expand
AxeTJun 3, 2016
The animals are magnificent. The kid… not so much. While talking animals including a ferocious tiger, pack of wolves, black panther, big grizzly bear, huge gorilla, giant snake and more are all stunning in detail; the kid's mouth shouldThe animals are magnificent. The kid… not so much. While talking animals including a ferocious tiger, pack of wolves, black panther, big grizzly bear, huge gorilla, giant snake and more are all stunning in detail; the kid's mouth should have been closed a lot more in this. Actually, what would have made this very interesting and a daring more artful movie would have been no dialogue at all as in a silent animated extravaganza (well not silent but full of great sound design and music score). That of course would be too risky for a major Disney family release, but certainly more original than this highly formulaic remake that's moderately amusing some of the time. The story makes sense, but sure isn't fresh.
A note on stars doing voices in animated movies: it's better not to know who they are, at least until after it's over. Otherwise it blows the suspension of disbelief. I don't think anyone ever goes to one of these movies to hear any star's voice, ever! They are going for the story and animation and music solely. So why advertise it only to break the illusion once in?
fungusgnatMay 26, 2016
This sumptuous 3D production is beautiful at every turn, and, even these days, when every year seems to bring some new mind-blowing advancement of the state of the special-effects art, "The Jungle Book" is startling (and funny and affecting)This sumptuous 3D production is beautiful at every turn, and, even these days, when every year seems to bring some new mind-blowing advancement of the state of the special-effects art, "The Jungle Book" is startling (and funny and affecting) in its own way. Moreover, if there is a rule to obey for success in the May-to-September box office season, it’s “Begin well,” and "The Jungle Book" begins well, with a mad race through the trees. Given all that, it’s too bad that Hollywood’s resourcefulness is so limited that it must accompany visual feast with narrative famine. This film’s story is likely to seem hackneyed and uninteresting to anyone older than 10. For adults, this is an eyes-only film. Expand
chad326Apr 24, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As someone who loved the original jungle book as a kid, this was definitely a dissapointment for me, and not just because they took a very different tone than the original. While they made a valiant attempt, and there was clearly a good chunk of effort put into the movie, it definitely fell flat for me.
First off the format that they chose is extremely hard, because literally the whole movie is 1 kid on a green screen for the whole movie. think about that for a moment, the entire movie rests on the shoulders of Neel Sethi's acting, who while i think he did a very good job, he's still just a kid and that really really limits the quality of the movie, because no matter how good of an actor, no matter how much practice Neel has had, he's still just a 12 year old kid, he's not a professional actor. Now this worked just fine in the original jungle book because it was a kids movie, and everyone knew it was a kids movie. The new jungle book really tried to be a serious movie that adults would enjoy as well, and that's where i think its biggest flaw is.
This brings me to my next point which is the "realism" that they chose to implore. Now having life like animals that talk has always been a very rocky slope, there a lots of examples where it can go horribly wrong and not very many where it goes right. From the very opening scene that shows mowglie running through the forest, until the end of the movie you could pretty easily tell that even a lot of his movements
were cgi, which also took away from the experience for me, but my biggest qualm with the realism is that they tried so hard to make the movie realistic and then continued to allow very large plot holes. Mowglie is a human whos lived with animals all his life, and so because he's a human with no education of any kind he's a boy genius? without even pausing to think, he comes up with very intricate ways to engineer situations to his advantage, within the movie they just call it "his tricks" but i mean seriously, he suspends himself from a cliff with a vine as a rope, anchored by animals with a system of how the animals should move in order to put him in the right position to use a saw that he made to cut down chunks of honey, all without getting stung, but when he does he just completely brushes it off like it never happened, all of which he thought about for literally 30 seconds, less even, it took him 30 seconds to engineer and begin making this very intricate plan to get honey for baloo, and this is just the tip of the ice berg. throughout the movie the fact that he was such a boy genius and able to completely ignore pain (he was stung by at least 20 bees but still managed to get the honey, and then miraculously healed in 1 minute, and towards the end he gets a huge gash across his chest from shere khan (the antagonist/ tiger) says ow and then continues on as if nothing happened.
this was probably the biggest turn off for me, they seemed to try so hard to make the movie believable, but its a story about talking animals and a boy who's apparently the next genius of an era, and has the pain tolerance of 2 grown men combined. the original movie was just a fun kids movie that didn't try to be real, and i think thats the biggest distinction between the two.
I did think that the casting was exceptional, but i am a little biased against christopher walken, i think that the character of king louie could have been portrayed differently, and played a little better.
ElectroNickApr 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After hearing all of the critical praise of the remake to Disney's animated Classic I decided to check it out for myself. My personal conclusion is that it is a mixed bag. This film will keep your children entertained and it will keep you interested in a visual sense. However if you are looking for a film that has a solid script and a film with a clear focus on what it wants to be you will be disappointed. As I said before the visuals are really stunning with an excellent use of CGI for the animals. The film looks gorgeous as the jungle really feels alive and the animals look as realistic as they have ever been. The wolves and Bagheera in particular look realistic and it feels that you can reach out and touch him. The color palate also pops up with bright and beautiful colors. The score is also grand with reworking of classic songs. The part of the soundtrack which really stood out was the instrumental rendition of "Trust In Me" when Mogli was discovering his past through Kaa's hypnosis. The actors give a valiant attempt to bring life to the characters with great performances from Christopher Walken, Ben Kinglsey, Bill Murray, and Idris Elba. The film is unfortunate held back by a script which lacks any focus. It is unsure if it wants to be an adaption of the original book or a remake of the animated film. It tries to combine elements from both works but it creates a jumbled script. For example when Mogli meets Kaa she helps Mogli get her memories back and gives him sage advise like her book counter book. However in the next scene though she tries to eat him like in the animated film. Another example was that Shere Khan kills the eldest wolf and holds them hostage like a thug but than tries to act suave like in the original cartoon making it seem like they are two completely different characters enrolled into one. Another main problem is the lack of connection to the characters because the script moves from set piece to set piece without any time to let the characters develop their relationships. As a final note this film will keep children entertained and will fulfill your needs if your looking to purely be immersed in the jungle and will keep your kids entertained but it is unfocused. The original animated film may not have been a faithful adaptation but it had a clear focus on what it wanted to be. Aside from its score and impressive visuals it is really nothing more than an average family movie. It is fine from any other company but from Disney I expected better. Expand
notTheRadBradMay 22, 2016
an average to good movie for kids , the animation is the best, but the acting is not too good just normal , but still likeable for kids. The jungle book was a phenomenal cartoon series which quenched my adventure thirst in my childhood,an average to good movie for kids , the animation is the best, but the acting is not too good just normal , but still likeable for kids. The jungle book was a phenomenal cartoon series which quenched my adventure thirst in my childhood, can't say the same about this movie though.
But
Everyone has their own opinions , some might like it some might not and I stated mine and i think the plot isn't the best of all but still it's a solid plot that the cartoon series was based on (somewhat).Anyways , i wouldn't recommend this movie to adults who care about acting in a movie and suspense and stuff . This is just a kids movie. :)
InglouriousAndyMay 17, 2016
"The Jungle Book" is painfully boring. Even with the stunning visual effects, this movie has nos soul or heart. It's an empty shell, but a good-looking one. And my goodness, Neel Sethi cannot act one bit. Worse than Jake Lloyd, no kidding.
TVJerryApr 21, 2016
Even though this looks like a live action film, it's completely animated, with the exception of the real boy who plays Mowgli (Neel Sethi). He's been raised by a pack of wolves, but must leave his home when they're threatened by the evilEven though this looks like a live action film, it's completely animated, with the exception of the real boy who plays Mowgli (Neel Sethi). He's been raised by a pack of wolves, but must leave his home when they're threatened by the evil tiger Shere Khan. On his journey, he meets some new animals (most enjoyably Bill Murray as Baloo) and has some perilous adventures. They've even tossed in 3 songs from the original film (plus a fun 2nd version of "Bare Necessities" by Dr. John during the credits). As the final frame of the credits states, "This film was shot in downtown Los Angeles," but the lovely landscapes and slew of creatures is eye-catching and beautifully designed. The action is well-staged and the story comes together with lively energy. Still, it lacks that extra punch that would have made it wondrous and emotionally satisfying (and Sethi's performance could have been a bit more charming). Expand
SeanVincentMay 13, 2016
With low expectations and form of hate of this film made it much better when I finally watched this.Because I was don't like Disney animated films turned live action related films like Maleficent,Alice in the wonderland,Wizard of Oz andWith low expectations and form of hate of this film made it much better when I finally watched this.Because I was don't like Disney animated films turned live action related films like Maleficent,Alice in the wonderland,Wizard of Oz and things like that I was not excited to see the film plus I didn't like the animated Jungle book.I was wrong the film is fun and well executed.The story is simple but it's good.The whole thing is CGI except for the boy ,it can be disastrous but because is well used in the film it isn't a problem here but some scenes were kind a bland in therms of CGI. The voice acting were amazing,no problems there. Everything is made with confidence.Characters are so loveable and the villain is frightning.Jon Favreu made some of the most exciting and fun family film and I applaud him for this!. Expand
beezballApr 24, 2016
It took itself too seriously in the beginning and end, the middle was wonderful. Also, the changed ending, I very much disliked it. I thought it was unnecessary and probably politically motivated, as were the humans suck (typical) themes.
horrorliefhebApr 24, 2016
-The Jungle Book is a 2016 American fantasy adventure film directed by Jon Favreau, written by Justin Marks and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. Based on Rudyard Kipling's eponymous collective works, the film is a live-action/CGI remake of-The Jungle Book is a 2016 American fantasy adventure film directed by Jon Favreau, written by Justin Marks and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. Based on Rudyard Kipling's eponymous collective works, the film is a live-action/CGI remake of Walt Disney's 1967 animated film of the same name.

-The Jungle Book stars and introduces Neel Sethi as Mowgli, an orphaned human boy who, guided by his animal guardians, sets out on a journey of self-discovery while evading the threatening Shere Khan. The film also features the voices of Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson, Giancarlo Esposito and Christopher Walken.

-Favreau, Marks, and producer Brigham Taylor developed the film's story as a balance between Disney's animated adaptation and Kipling's original works, adapting elements from both into the film. Principal photography commenced in 2014, with filming taking place entirely in Los Angeles. The film required extensive use of computer-generated imagery to portray the animals and settings. The Jungle Book was released in North America in Disney Digital 3D, RealD 3D, IMAX 3D, D-Box, as well as premium large formats, on April 15, 2016.

--Critical response:

-The Jungle Book received critical acclaim, with praise aimed at its visual effects, Debney's musical score, the performances of the voice cast, Favreau's direction, and its faithfulness to both the animated film and original Kipling works. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 94%, based on 204 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "As lovely to behold as it is engrossing to watch, The Jungle Book is the remake that actually improves upon its predecessors – all while setting a new standard for CGI." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 77 out of 100, based on 48 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale. 97% of the audience gave the film an A or a B. It got A's from both the under and over 25 crowd and A+ among those under 18 years of age, and also for the over-50 audience.

--Sequel:

-Following the film's early financial and critical success, the studio has begun work on a sequel film. Favreau is reported to return as director and Neel Sethi is reported to reprise his role of Mowgli, while screenwriter Justin Marks is also in negotiations to return.
VipraApr 18, 2016
If you have read the original book and/or seen any earlier animations, you may safely stay away. You won't miss anything. You're better off doing anything else - may be just sleeping!
Unlike the irrelevant superhero animes, The Jungle Book
Unlike the irrelevant superhero animes, The Jungle Book could have a lot of educational value wrapped in excellent entertainment. But no, the makers of this movie decided to make a run-on-the-mill grand animation movie with some cliched humor and some unnecessary violence sprinkled at random.
The movie fails at many levels - from the glaring ones, like the incoherence of narration; to the counter-educative disproportionate animals, a Grizzly in an Avatar-esque rainforest hit by a drought, and an inexplicable temple structure. The "humane" innovations by Mowgli take the cake here, though!

I probably would not be so disappointed had they just created another stereotype animation, instead of creating a garbage out of a good kids' story.
PeterAlexanderMay 25, 2016
Jon Favreau brings the beauty of the jungle and all the classic characters to life expertly in his rendition of The Jungle Book. Charming, funny, dramatic and scary, this is a film for all to enjoy. A fantastic telling of the classic story isJon Favreau brings the beauty of the jungle and all the classic characters to life expertly in his rendition of The Jungle Book. Charming, funny, dramatic and scary, this is a film for all to enjoy. A fantastic telling of the classic story is complimented by brilliant voice acting all round, particularly Idris Elba's portrayal of Shere Khan and Ben Kingsley's of Bagheera. The epic soundtrack and beautifully worked CGI act as the cherry on top in what is a truly great film. Expand
TheKavehJApr 30, 2016
Sure, the CGI is amazing in the rendition of the 1967 classic, but the rest of the movie seems unnecessary. The film tends to bore, and it becomes miserable to watch.
night4Apr 28, 2016
I suppose if you like staring at a half-naked child for hours, this would be a good movie.

I was bored to tears, and so were most of the people nearby, I think.
queglayMay 9, 2016
Great animation, but the story was one dimensional and lacking to me. It's based almost entirely on conflict, and story tellers today have a duty to enlighten us more than this story did. My 8 year old was as disappointed as I was.
Cedric_GAug 25, 2016
And this to my knowlage and from what I remember was the first of several plotless visual over hyped "masterpieces" that I made the mistake of wasting my money on this year! The most recent being Kubo and the two stings. Unless your a hipsterAnd this to my knowlage and from what I remember was the first of several plotless visual over hyped "masterpieces" that I made the mistake of wasting my money on this year! The most recent being Kubo and the two stings. Unless your a hipster art-nut or a teenager think twice before you read reviews that go on and on about a movie looking "amazing" it's very likely you'll be up for major disappointment! Expand
arash22Aug 14, 2016
I hate it when technology makes everything possible. maybe this movie was just for kids and I hated it because I'm too old for it. but the fact that they can do almost anything with this computers make me sick.
I am not totally against
I am not totally against special effects but when the movie have nothing to offer except fake world and characters with a **** story there is no way but to flush it down. the only thing is worse than this kind of mechanical movies is my English. sorry.
BrianMcCriticApr 15, 2016
While there aren't many differences from the animated classic, The Jungle Book is still an amazing accomplishment. Jon Favreau really puts a loving stamp on this beloved franchise. A-
dpaudiophileApr 15, 2016
amazed at how overrated this movie is... I mean its okay, but to give it 10/10 or 4 stars or anything close to that type of praise is insane.

This is a decent family movie, that should hold kids attentions and leave parents and younger adults saying, "meh, that wasn't the worst thing in the world..."

For anyone who wants a good jungle book experience, go read the original book from the late 19th century. The 60s animated film is better than this 2016 version, and yet I would still say that the 60s film (barring the music) wasn't a masterpiece.
buk_lauMay 4, 2016
what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at itwhat a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again.what a bad film, disney must be back at it again. Expand
GentM2015May 3, 2016
The Jungle Book is a live-action/CGI fantasy film that retells the story of Mowgli, an orphaned human boy who, guided by his animal guardians, sets out on a journey of self-discovery while evading the threatening Shere Khan.
Neel Sethi plays
Neel Sethi plays the main character, Mowgli in the movie. He is the only human being on screen and as his first ever role, this kid actor is truly magnificent. He is as good as any kid actor has ever been, even favorably compared to Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense.
The computer generated imagery is brilliant all throughout, definitely some of the best ever and the 3D is just mind blowing. In every single scene I kept getting surprised and thrilled at just how amazing the CGI and 3D were. I think the main reason as to why this movie worked it's because it also has a very good story line that's mixed in with the amazing visuals. The voice actors are all perfectly cast, especially Idris Elba as Shere Khan, who is truly haunting in every scene he's in. That was one well made and scary villain that Mowgli had to face.
Jon Favreau did a fantastic work with this movie, cause really this story has been told many times before, and yet this movie feels fresh and interesting nonetheless.
I'm glad that it's doing so well in Box Office because it completely deserves it. Movies like this must be appreciated so that they can inspire more great work, and maybe one day, even erase movies like Transformers.
Lennon-SAug 24, 2016
Yet again we have film to gathered praise strictly on visual delights alone. And this and now Kubo I can't help but be in disbelief and the movie going audience and critics alike who refuse to weigh a film on its story.
NerdConsultantApr 18, 2016
The Jungle Book is an excellent remake, I actually think it’s superior to the 1967 film and while that may seem sacrilegious to some, I actually felt like this one was much more of an interesting film and it had a really good cast, amazingThe Jungle Book is an excellent remake, I actually think it’s superior to the 1967 film and while that may seem sacrilegious to some, I actually felt like this one was much more of an interesting film and it had a really good cast, amazing effects, a really good film score, some amazing performances, especially from Neel Sethi and a plot that I could really get in to. I don’t think this film will change anyones opinion on which version is the better, I still think a lot will still view the 1967 animated film as the iconic version, but I think anyone who has nostalgia for the previous one should check this out. It’s a really good one for the whole family. John Favreau makes this film with real heart and passion and while I think some people will be putt off by the changes most likely the different ending and slightly darker tone but I preferred this and can really recommend this film. Oh and stick around for the credits they’re fantastic. Expand
eagleeyevikingAug 8, 2016
Losing none of the charm of the animated original while adding its own technological flair, Disney's remake of The Jungle Book is a winning combination of powerful, vibrant visuals, great acting and a lot of heart.
YellowKirbyMay 14, 2016
While not as good as the 1967 original, Jon Favreau's 'The Jungle Book' manages to flesh out the characters more so than the original did, and improves vastly on both the story and the action sequences. The only thing bringing it down is theWhile not as good as the 1967 original, Jon Favreau's 'The Jungle Book' manages to flesh out the characters more so than the original did, and improves vastly on both the story and the action sequences. The only thing bringing it down is the comparison between the voice acting from both versions, and of course, the singing too. But apart from that, this is a well acted, beautifully animated film. Expand
DanBurritoMay 14, 2016
It may not be as good as the classic original, but The Jungle Book has more than enough charm and emotional depth to stand on its own terms. The only real major flaw is the singing, which sounded pretty lame compared to the singing in theIt may not be as good as the classic original, but The Jungle Book has more than enough charm and emotional depth to stand on its own terms. The only real major flaw is the singing, which sounded pretty lame compared to the singing in the original. Other than that, I enjoyed it very much. The voice cast fitted their roles perfectly, and Neel Sethi carried himself admireably, considering he was acting against green-screen the whole time. The film does manage to improve on the original in terms of narrative coherence, and adds an extra dimension to the character of Mowgli. Some scenes might be a bit frightening for very small kids, but there's still plenty for them to enjoy. Overall, The Jungle Book is a visually stunning and narratively engrossing remake that does justice to its classic predecessor. Expand
SSH83Apr 19, 2016
CG is amazing. 7 star purely for the CG. If the CG wasn't so good, the acting, story and Music would take this to 2 star.

I liked the original "I want to be like you," this version is very... offensive to the ears. Like someone tried too hard to mimic the old one but overacted. For story, they followed the skeleton of the original, but lost a lot of the charm and spirit of the original. The acting... well... just think anakin skywalker from phantom menance, but 100 times WORSE.
43in2014Aug 3, 2016
Background: I had not seen the animation original in the cinema or in its entirety on TV. I had only seen clips of it on Youtube.

Pros: (1) That they had made the effort to switch from animation to live action and change significant parts

Pros:
(1) That they had made the effort to switch from animation to live action and change significant parts of the film makes this fresh and worthy of spending your money to watch this remake.

(2) Generally, good acting by the boy actor and good voice acting by the other veteran actors.

Cons: Can't think of any.

Who would think the film is great? Everyone.
Who would think the film is only so-so? No one.
Who would think the film is lousy? No one.

Rating: 5/5 (no half scores). Watch it in the cinemas and then buy the DVD.
TornadoCreatorApr 20, 2016
I went into this not sure what to expect but found it to be a pleasant surprise. This re-imagining of the classic story, while actually closer to the book, manages to set a tone quickly and keep everything fun and lively all the way through.I went into this not sure what to expect but found it to be a pleasant surprise. This re-imagining of the classic story, while actually closer to the book, manages to set a tone quickly and keep everything fun and lively all the way through. The child actor playing Mowgli was exceptional and really held this film together, while certain nods and small bits where attention to detail was particularly high, made me feel shockingly engrossed. There where some unfortunate concessions. In order to make this kid friendly the film glosses over anything that would be realistically gruesome, but the jungle still feels threatening at least. The casting of Scarlet Johansson as the snake Kaa was an interesting choice, and I can see why the song "Trust in me" was relegated to playing over the credits as it would have slowed the pace of the film and left younger children bored. Hopefully a directors cut will put in a scene where the song is placed into the film itself. The slightly selfish nature of Baloo works really well, and makes him oddly more endearing and funny.

Ultimately this is a great family film and one I recommend whole-heartedly. It was great fun and, while the CGI can be a little distracting at times, it's rarely a big problem. Even adults should enjoy this.
horizonbtsApr 21, 2016
OK with all the buzz I had to check it out for myself, I am a 59 year old male. Yes probably a little old to go see these kind of movies, but I am not too old to remember what Jungle Book was all about. It's so amazing what they can do theseOK with all the buzz I had to check it out for myself, I am a 59 year old male. Yes probably a little old to go see these kind of movies, but I am not too old to remember what Jungle Book was all about. It's so amazing what they can do these days with a movie and make you totally believe that it is actually taking place. No doubt Walt Disney would have been very proud to have his name on this one!! Don't miss out just because of your age or your pride, go see it I promise you won't be disappointed as Jungle Book comes to life!! Expand
ULTRA_MARIO_10May 30, 2016
Attention for movie makers who want to adopt something from the past. This is how you do it correctly!

First of all, The movie changes the plot a little so it won't be the same movie but in live action. The characters are interesting

First of all,

The characters are interesting and baloo is my favorite

So yeah, this movie has comedy and great storytelling but I still consider the animated movie better though.
CrocsxApr 20, 2016
I wasn't hoping for much, but this film is very very good.

The CGI are amazing, you will forget that everything is CGI after like 5 mins.

It fit for all ages, and will be perfect for every one that grew up with the cartoon version.
Rutger-KikkertApr 22, 2016
This movie is great. All the acting and voice acting, the writing, the storytelling, the CGI etc.
New comer Neel Sethi does a great job, considering this is his first movie and that he had to interact with CGI animals and that he had to act on only sets and no real locations.
The only down sights are that the sequence with Kaa the Snake could have been much more. and I also was a bit disappointed with the lack of screen time Idris Elba's character Shere Khan had, even though his character was a very intimidating villain.
In conclusion a very entertaining, beautifully looking flick that is really worth watching.
MordoReviewerMay 21, 2016
Better than the original.
Is darker, its well acted, it has a good writing and the cgi on the movie is amazing.
Better than the original.
Kids can watch it and adults can watch it, just like the book. Its not a faithful adaptation, but this is one of the best movies of 2016.
EpicLadySpongeApr 15, 2016
Did you guys hear the news? Disney's remaking their very own Jungle Book and changing things just for the best of their own decisions. Changing Kaa's gender surprises me because that's normally one of the things that's going to cause my scoreDid you guys hear the news? Disney's remaking their very own Jungle Book and changing things just for the best of their own decisions. Changing Kaa's gender surprises me because that's normally one of the things that's going to cause my score to go down. What's normally great about this is that it's better than the Rudyard Kipling version which, also, is a critical success. Not enjoyable for me but for you moviegoers and Jungle Book fans will enjoy this without any doubt. A friendly adventure seems stale enough and that's not even possible with Disney's family-friendly adventures. Expand
wcrosherApr 15, 2016
With a darker tone, some of the best visual effects ever put on screen, and excellent voice work from the entire cast, The Jungle Book may actually improve on the 1967 original. It's funny, it's dramatic, sometimes it's even a little scary,With a darker tone, some of the best visual effects ever put on screen, and excellent voice work from the entire cast, The Jungle Book may actually improve on the 1967 original. It's funny, it's dramatic, sometimes it's even a little scary, but I think Favreau nailed it with this remake. Expand
hyorennApr 15, 2016
This amazing was simply brilliant. Everything on it is just stunning, the CGI is the best thing on a movie, and the original songs were a great choice, I felt so nostalgic. Neel Sethi is great, and god, those character voices, flawless. ThisThis amazing was simply brilliant. Everything on it is just stunning, the CGI is the best thing on a movie, and the original songs were a great choice, I felt so nostalgic. Neel Sethi is great, and god, those character voices, flawless. This movie is a must see. Expand
foxgroveApr 15, 2016
From its wonderful opening as the camera draws back from the Disney logo into the magical Los Angeles created Jungle, one has a positive feeling that the film is going to be something special. It doesn’t disappoint. In fact, it is actually aFrom its wonderful opening as the camera draws back from the Disney logo into the magical Los Angeles created Jungle, one has a positive feeling that the film is going to be something special. It doesn’t disappoint. In fact, it is actually a lot better film, story wise, than the mythically lauded 1967 animated cartoon version which is remembered more due to the strength of its musical numbers. Director Jon Favreau has done a fantastic job here in creating both a visual treat, keeping things fast paced and snappy in the set pieces, as well as honing in on all the major characters and keeping them in sharp focus. As the man cub Mowgli, Neel Sethi may not have to flex his acting muscles a great deal, but he at least keeps the character sentiment free and believable, which is in itself no mean achievement for a child actor. Voices for the animals are uncannily good especially those of Scarlett Johansson as the snake Kaa; Ben Kingsley as black panther Bagheera and Bill Murray as the celebrated Baloo. Best of all, though, is the Shere Khan of Idris Elba which is sheer magic.
As already mentioned the set pieces are fantastic, but in know way unbalance the rest of the film. Particularly impressive are the opening scenes of Mowgli training; the encounter with Kaa; Mowgli’s snatch by the monkeys; the mudslides and the climatic fire. All this is well served by CGI work that is just stunning and, if reports are to be believed, was all filmed in Hollywood’s concrete jungle far from anywhere ‘GREEN’. The cinematography is also beautiful and the 3D adds immeasurably on this occasion to the labyrinth of grass, trees and caves that make up the landscape. Be sure to stay for the end credits where the book itself is opened to add yet another inspirational touch to a very accomplished film that everyone can enjoy.
TimW001Apr 15, 2016
The special effect were incredibly stunning. It was a beautiful movie. A fantastic adventure throughout, well paced action, great voice acting. Don't expect a remake of the original film. Have an open mind to a new story with new adventures.The special effect were incredibly stunning. It was a beautiful movie. A fantastic adventure throughout, well paced action, great voice acting. Don't expect a remake of the original film. Have an open mind to a new story with new adventures. A must see for movie go-ers. Expand
Can7onaLegendApr 16, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Jungle Book is amazing great features and great ending with believable Characters
WELL DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CineAutoctonoApr 15, 2016
"The Jungle Book" in the animated film has excited us a lot, and the version live-action , has left outstanding , special effects , characters and actors , it has been a very good movie with the signing of Disney and Jon Favreau director of"The Jungle Book" in the animated film has excited us a lot, and the version live-action , has left outstanding , special effects , characters and actors , it has been a very good movie with the signing of Disney and Jon Favreau director of "Iron Man". Expand
TheSaintAllanApr 15, 2016
Awesome movie in 3D. This very thrilling and exciting fun, my kids love it and I love it too. Esta es la mejor película del año .. The jungle book3D es siempre divertido que no quería dejar la selva . Grrrr .. its 10/10. damn!
mrmonsterApr 23, 2016
Yet another absolutely perfect Disney movie. The story was perfect, the voice acting (especially from Christopher Walken, Scarlett Johannson and Idris Elba) was perfect, the CGI effects were perfect, the music was good (not great but good),Yet another absolutely perfect Disney movie. The story was perfect, the voice acting (especially from Christopher Walken, Scarlett Johannson and Idris Elba) was perfect, the CGI effects were perfect, the music was good (not great but good), it was an all around fantastic movie. I had huge expectations, and I was still impressed at just how good it was. Definitely the best of all Disney's live action remakes so far.
Andy Serkhis is really going to have to step up his game if he wants Jungle Book: Origins to top this.
JohnKristoferMay 30, 2016
The Jungle book is a great film with amazing characters portrayed and voiced by a fantastic cast.The movie is intense,emotional and exciting.Everything was well done especially the visual effects which was amazing it didn't look as fake(someThe Jungle book is a great film with amazing characters portrayed and voiced by a fantastic cast.The movie is intense,emotional and exciting.Everything was well done especially the visual effects which was amazing it didn't look as fake(some scenes do).It is great film and it is a good time for your young ones. Expand
WheelzFourReelzMay 4, 2016
Acting as one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen, The Jungle Book is also exciting, intense, emotional wonderfully acted, and an overall great watch. It's a Disney remake that's better than the original.
homer4presidentApr 21, 2016
The animals are the ones that steal the show, the animals looked authentic and real! Mogli's acting seemed a little forced, but I can understand if you're the only human character working with CGI animals.
SkullBallCorpApr 16, 2016
I went in fully expected to hate everything about this movie. I really did, I think part of me even WANTED to hate it.

So after seeing the trailer before pretty much every film for the last 5 or so months and being annoyed at having to see it so much I was left unimpressed, the cg did not look great and I just did not care about the movie at all, also making Kaa a female now? that confused me.

However. I went to see the movie to form a valid opinion and was absolutely shocked and blown away. Firstly the trailer does not do the cgi justice it as absolutely breathtaking from the actual design to the mannerisms of the animals its just s believable. The only real tell that its not real animals is their mouth movements which are cleverly hidden for much of the movie.
The story is nothing special it tells the Kipling story decently well and minus a few characters being shown very little its all around very well done. Shere Khan is absolutely brilliant and menacing as they could possibly make him while keeping the age rating down. He is straight up bloodthirsty in this and the voice actor did a solid job, as did all the actors in this.
The tone is also great not straying too much into the serious side of things but not breaking out into song constantly either, they got it just right.

If I had to say anything negative, the actor playing Mowgli just wasn't that good in my opinion, he was decent enough but some of his reactions etc. were a little off to me and the kid cant sing, I don't know if they thought having him singing rather than dubbing another person would make it more believable or something but it really takes away from a potentially great scene.

Other than that the cast is great as I said and despite my rash judgement of the movie from the trailer and pre release stuff it turned out great. Far from a 10/10 film like some are claiming but a very worthy entry into the disney catalogue and a very solid reboot of a classic movie.
RobBob99Apr 19, 2016
The Jungle Book is the most visually engrossing movie I've seen since Gravity. The voice cast including Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley and Christopher Walken and many others are all outstanding additions to the film. That being said IThe Jungle Book is the most visually engrossing movie I've seen since Gravity. The voice cast including Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley and Christopher Walken and many others are all outstanding additions to the film. That being said I do feel as if The Jungle Book is overrated. Neel Sethi is fine as Mowgli but there are a few awkward moments. The story to me wasn't that investing even though it stays true to the source material (which I appreciate), just to me, I wasn't completely into the whole story.It's without a doubt a good movie but not the great one everyone has been making it to be. Expand
morninstarApr 17, 2016
Well, that took you down nostalgia lane, didn't it? I am one of those people who grew up on the Jungle Book cartoons, although I watched them in Hindi(chaddi pehen ke phool khila hai :P), but all the great characters I remembered were allWell, that took you down nostalgia lane, didn't it? I am one of those people who grew up on the Jungle Book cartoons, although I watched them in Hindi(chaddi pehen ke phool khila hai :P), but all the great characters I remembered were all there. The best one though, Bill Murray as Baloo, hands down. He was snappy, he was funny, he was Baloo as I knew him. And I guess I don't have to say anything about Idris Elba as Shere Khan. You put the guy in anything, it becomes good automatically. Case in point, Pacific Rim(people who've watched it know what I'm talking about). The story was good, the execution was good, and Neel Sethi was amazing as Mowgli. Just keeping in mind that nothing around him was, well, actually there, he did a terrific job. To summarize, get off your butts and go watch the movie, in 3D, because that's where the fun lies. Enjoyment guaranteed! Expand
thethoughthereApr 23, 2016
A film almost overwhelmingly deserving of praise, The Jungle Book is, by quite a large margin, the best live-action adaptation of any animated story ever put to film. With impeccable CGI renderings of not only gorgeous landscapes but also aA film almost overwhelmingly deserving of praise, The Jungle Book is, by quite a large margin, the best live-action adaptation of any animated story ever put to film. With impeccable CGI renderings of not only gorgeous landscapes but also a wide array of different animals, near-perfect voice acting from the entire cast, a surprisingly believable and likable child star at the helm, balanced dialogue, a de-emphasis on the musical numbers of the previous versions and above all, a more thematically-structured and well-conceived plot than its predecessors, The Jungle Book hits every note and Jon Favreau has delivered a film which will set a new standard for not only CGI technicians but also live-action adaptations of anything which was initially animated. I look forward to purchasing the Blu-Ray upon release, and I may be too impatient to wait that long for a second viewing. I predict a number of technical awards going to this film during the Oscars next year. Expand
AntiRmeansAntiWMay 1, 2016
I came to this site for a review of The Jungle Book, not to be lectured to by some pathetic self loathing idiot. Some day the world will not be safe for the parasites like shawtywannafrik. We will all rejoice when that day returns.

This

This movie was awesome, go and see it. Take your Grandmother , the kids and anyone that wants to be entertained.

Also.. see this review ".. My friend Anannya Dasgupta in New Delhi said the movie made her think of "kinship and family" — and how a sense of belonging can go far beyond the traditional definition of kinship. She was especially touched by the "bond that is asserted between human-child and a wolf and beyond that between a human, a black panther and a bear.""
twall3May 17, 2016
Both my wife and I felt the movie was much better than we expected. Neither of us were fans of the original Disney cartoon, but we both thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Now we find ourselves recommending it to our families, friends andBoth my wife and I felt the movie was much better than we expected. Neither of us were fans of the original Disney cartoon, but we both thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Now we find ourselves recommending it to our families, friends and co-workers. Why do people recommend movies? It's not like we are financially rewarded for doing so. Maybe we don't want them to miss an exceptional film. Maybe we want to see good films do well in the box office. What ever the reason, this film got us talking. BTW - stay seated as the credits roll! Expand
Joshua023May 18, 2016
They must of had a low budget it just sucked. Music was the hole thing. this was stupid. I'll just have my kid watch the first one. How could you leave out the great monkey song Im lost. sucks...
Nobilis1984Apr 21, 2016
To understand why I do not like the movie you have to know that I was born in the 80s and thus know the original. It was even more beautiful and lovingly gezeichneteUnterhaltung. It had a special charm and loving characters.
This one looks
This one looks really great and is also displayed realistically. But Bagira and Co are a disappointment.
Since the special charm missing I mentioned. Everything what makes the Disney classics so famous is not found. The humanity of animals is no longer there. Bagira one imagines the original as a buddy by your side before. Here he is just only an animal for which one does not feel any great sympathy.
sgy0003Apr 25, 2016
Absolutely loved it.

Absolutely loved it.

The movie's aesthetic and setting borrows from the original book, while the story follows somewhat close to the original animated movie. Now, it has its own share of dark moments, but it is not enough to be really called "scary". If you have children, it should be a safe and great film for me.

The VA was superb. Everyone sounded the part. Scarlett Johanson as Kaa was especially great IMO. But the true star of the movie is the main star, Mowgli. Keep in mind the kid was talking to the thin air when they were shooting the film. He did amazing job.

The music and the sounds were on par as well. Bare Necessities, I want to be like you, and Trust in me all does really good job of taking the older audiences on a nostalgic trip, while they add their own variations to stay relevant to the younger audiences.

10/10. It's a must see
PipeCApr 15, 2016
Favreau is the director of the umpteenth installment of the classic, this time with CGI special effects and an unusual vocal group.

Once more, the adventures of Mowgli in Indian jungles written by the young Rudyard Kipling are adapted by Disney under leadership of Favreau with a significantly attractive result. Together with visual quality, the vocal team is exceptional, these qualities can overshadow the theme background and development of the plot without purpose that accompanies the film during its progress. Summarizing the results of previous deliveries of the "The Jungle Book" around the world, it can be affirmed the support of audience with animals of the jungle, and it seems that this will not be the exception, because its previous evidence.

It's important to remember that this will not be a of the last times we listen to Kipling animals in the cinematography, since the production company Warner Bros will finance "Jungle Book: Origins" under the direction of Serkis and will be full of stars like Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch and Serkis himself as Baloo the bear ( itself delayed lately by the producer until 2018, apparently due to lack of time for proper development by the "ambition" of the project).

From the unforgettable opening scene of the old style of the castle of Disney where then the camera opens road between branches of fruitful trees of the jungle, start something that seems to be a chase human against animal, from that moment ,the realism (excellently illustrated 3D) pervades to perfection in an image that appears in pure manner. It is characteristic of Disney products resume in the form of remake or remastering classics already enshrined in the minds of adults. This strategy, beyond of reborn a memorable story, its second intention is to generate more money, due to which stimulate both the minds of adults and infants who are anxious to be dazzled with the film itself.

I think if the film was dumb would be spectacular, but the eccentric accompanied by Ben Kingsley or Scarlett Johansson is converted in which could be a more masterpiece for its financier. Mowgli (Neel Sethi) is an Indian boy who grew up in the jungle pleasures along with a pack of wolves. After an unexpected enemy re-appeared in animal life, the boy must embark on a sea of adventures and dangers, where he will find a spiteful tiger (I.Elba), a betray snake (Scarlett Johansson) or an unconditional "lazy" bear (Bill Murray) to discover his true family (he ultimately finds it).

Justin Marks' script tends to stumble and ago decline the continuous progress that the film presents. The dialogues are well executed, what it feels like to loose and inconsistent is the intent of the story, (spoiler) the guy is fired from the herd to go to where he truly belongs, but suddenly he's fighting with a tiger face to face for save the animals of the jungle, summarize the aspects of the plot are feel superfluous.

Disney never ceases to die one of its characteristic hallmarks, humor. Each film should have its load identifiable humor. After a slightly dark and dramatic tone in the opening, at the time that Baloo (Bill Murray) appears everything changes. Remarkable is the effort of each line written to the bear, where half of that dialogue has a load of humor. And speaking of Baloo, the homage made by Murray to recreate the 1967 song is really emotional.

Even more admirable is the delicate and precise design of the grotesquely beautiful animals, it is a disproportionate beauty, it's a beauty that stands out, it's a natural beauty, this is truly an animal beauty.

A tiger majestically managed and drawn that looks real. An extremely large snake, where each flake has a pinch real. A giant orangutan in a forgotten temple , accompanied by several monkeys shows the fear and respect for the King of the jungle. A Black Panther give fear or a bear that has no words of description. All this is highlighted and praised as with a magnifying glass with IMAX 3D.

All this cinematic perfection is weakened once more by an end of fairy tales. I think that for be a product of Disney must not have a happy ending or at least repetitive end of death of the villain in all of its films. But well, we all knew it was going to be, after all this is an adaptation

As well as his script and plot are increasingly more monotonous, the audio-visual quality of the project is very promising and exceeds limits of what has been done so far in this type of real action products.

Favreau and Pope produce a sumptuous and delicate visual experience that brings the best of CGI technology in a movie where the animals are the main feature. Interesting and realistic, Jon's work exceeds the requirements of the tape, but the tape itself is carried to the monotonous and incomprehensible. Again, Disney takes advantage of this move, while Warner Bros. and Andy Serkis are adjusting pants to try to overcome its main competitor. Warner'll let us dumbfounded. I'm sure.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
Disney’s live action adaptation of their animated classic, The Jungle Book, is a brilliant remake that gives a different take on the well known story. Watching The Jungle Book, it’s clear that Disney was trying to go for a more mature tone,Disney’s live action adaptation of their animated classic, The Jungle Book, is a brilliant remake that gives a different take on the well known story. Watching The Jungle Book, it’s clear that Disney was trying to go for a more mature tone, while still honoring their animated film. The Jungle Book is visually stunning, features brilliant voice acting, and updates the Disney classic with a modern twist. It should be noted how impressive this film is when considering that the entire film was shot in a studio in Los Angeles.
When you think of films that are groundbreaking in terms of special effects, you may think of Avatar or Star Wars, but possibly this movie may be one of the most groundbreaking. Considering that everything in this film, except the actor portraying Mowgli, is computer generated, and that the effects are seamless is extremely impressive. The Jungle Book may open a door for other films that originally seemed impossible may become possible. Most impressive is that the film looks gorgeous, regardless of the backstory, the film’s look is never dull, and always impressive.
The casting department deserves a ton of credit for this film as well, because the voice cast was perfect. Perhaps the best casting was Bill Murray as Baloo, who could literally have played this character in his sleep. However, that’s not to take away from the other voice cast members. Idris Elba was perfect as Shere Khan, Ben Kingsley nailed the stern Bagheera, Scarlett Johansson’s voice lent itself perfectly to Kaa the snake, and even Christopher Walken as King Louie fit perfectly. It’s not everyday that a cast comes together so well, but every voice cast member fit their role perfectly.
One major thing to note is that while the film honors the original film (which was quite silly) very well, the tone and look is quite different in the updated version. They still break into song occasionally, but the overall tone of the live action remake is darker overall, and more mature. That’s not to say that the film isn’t family friendly, it is, but the film isn’t as harmless as the original was, but the film isn’t afraid to scare the audience, and pulls no punches. This is simply because of the timing, in the 60’s animated films weren’t as dark as live action films today seem to have to be.
Overall The Jungle Book is an exciting, gorgeous, solidly crafted, and more mature entry to the growing list of Disney classic remakes. The film juggles the new audience’s expectations with the classic elements of the original beautifully, and what it creates is truly amazing. The film isn’t perfect, but is a great entry to the Disney live action canon. Above those who love Disney, and Disney classics, this is just in general a great retelling of this story, and should be seen in cinemas, where the visual effects are showcased at their best.
likethatgirlApr 19, 2016
Behold- a unique entry to the Disney classics. The best thing about it is that it does not try so hard. The Jungle Book swings between Kipling's darkness and Disney's hopes. A new breed of film-making is introduced from it, actually. ABehold- a unique entry to the Disney classics. The best thing about it is that it does not try so hard. The Jungle Book swings between Kipling's darkness and Disney's hopes. A new breed of film-making is introduced from it, actually. A ground-breaking art piece in the contemporary. Wonderful and engaging! Don't ever miss it.. Expand
terrynabetApr 20, 2016
I normally am not a fan of CGI, mainly because it can be overdone and rushed; however, this was done perfectly. The character that plays Mowglie did an outstanding job considering he is the only physical person on the set having to act aroundI normally am not a fan of CGI, mainly because it can be overdone and rushed; however, this was done perfectly. The character that plays Mowglie did an outstanding job considering he is the only physical person on the set having to act around imaginative characters and scenery. Acting, directing, cinematography and writing were all superb. If I were to have one criticism, it was the one song that was played in the movie. I won't say what it was but it just kind of out of place and felt a little off putting when I watched the movie. But that's a very small negative point that is overshadowed by an overall well done film. I will piggy back off my first sentence of this review, the CGI looks real. Expand
morfilAug 17, 2016
aised by a family of wolves since birth, Mowgli (Neel Sethi) must leave the only home he's ever known when the fearsome tiger Shere Khan (Idris Elba) unleashes his mighty roar. Guided by a no-nonsense panther (Ben Kingsley) and aaised by a family of wolves since birth, Mowgli (Neel Sethi) must leave the only home he's ever known when the fearsome tiger Shere Khan (Idris Elba) unleashes his mighty roar. Guided by a no-nonsense panther (Ben Kingsley) and a free-spirited bear (Bill Murray), the young boy meets an array of jungle animals, including a slithery python and a smooth-talking ape. Along the way, Mowgli learns valuable life lessons as his epic journey of self-discovery leads to fun and adventure. Expand
TheApplegnomeAug 13, 2016
The classic story comes to life once again -- in this eye-popping, live-action CGI-flick.

What a ride! Just the realistic animation alone is a wow-factor! It was hard to differentiate between the real-on-set objects and the computer generated ones -- that's how CGI is supposed to be used. It's a new and modern take on this classic story, with very similar moments from its source material. Still; very different due to its realism. It got a great development of its story -- with great pacing, action, & many classic Disney-traits like morality, what’s life, who's worth more -- and how it is to be different. It even got some interesting perspectives on humanity & the constant hunt for power. It's a truly touching story -- even emotional, with all the happiness circulating around the well visualized characters. I must say -- I did not expect a so captivating film. But wow -- funny and well-fitted character-traits to these beloved individuals is a wonder! They interact in a very natural way with the environment and other characters. Our main "Mowgli", got this personal dilemma -- reflecting where to go in his life -- should I be myself, or fit in society. The film perfectly illustrates how people can affect your opinion -- is Disney trying to be the parent of movies? To summarize; 'The Jungle Book' is a stunning film for youths as adults -- it's so much more than a CGI adventure. Yes; it might not take a very different path from the original film and its story, and it's sometimes a bit too predictable. Another flaw is that I wanted even more inside to the main character -- not only about everything around him, but more about his inside and personality. Everybody out there might not consider it as a "very eventful film". But I think it's a groundbreaker! A remake? Yes. But that totally surpass its source material.

Personal rating: 80/100
Critical rating: 88/100
moviemitch96Apr 30, 2016
A far superior and breathtaking CGI adaptation of the original animated film! The original is gorgeously brought back to life through stunning visuals, a likable voice cast (most notably Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, etc), and aA far superior and breathtaking CGI adaptation of the original animated film! The original is gorgeously brought back to life through stunning visuals, a likable voice cast (most notably Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, etc), and a strong debut performance from Neel Sethi as Mowgli! There were times where it felt a little hammy and campy, but other than that the film was very entertaining and a thrill to watch. Overall, it's certainly one of Jon Favreau's best directorial efforts yet and another great offering from Disney so far this year! Expand
MadMaxFuryRoadAug 13, 2016
The Jungle Book is one of those movies where after you've seen it five times, you'd want to keep on watching it over and over again. First off, Mowgli was great in this film and all the characters were likable and made you care for them. TheThe Jungle Book is one of those movies where after you've seen it five times, you'd want to keep on watching it over and over again. First off, Mowgli was great in this film and all the characters were likable and made you care for them. The setting was beyond gorgeous and the music was amazing. The length of this film was just absolutely right and the backstory behind Mowgli was very well constructed. I can't even think of a single flaw about this movie right now! (100/100) Expand
Rebecca31May 7, 2016
Bit late to the game but here it goes. I should mention that I was never a fan of the original, in fact I hate the original and this remake seemed pointless. As it turns out I really liked this movie. It's visually stunning, the voice actorsBit late to the game but here it goes. I should mention that I was never a fan of the original, in fact I hate the original and this remake seemed pointless. As it turns out I really liked this movie. It's visually stunning, the voice actors perfectly chosen and Neel Sethi was terrific. The one negative thing would be the entire scene featuring Christopher Walken as Don King Louie, completely out of place, felt like something out of a bad gangster movie and don’t even get me started on the singing. Honestly by the end I was rooting for the tiger, that’s how good Idris Elba was. Highly recommended. Expand
Silverscreen91Apr 22, 2016
I was never a big fan of the original Jungle Book. I found it very boring, with only the songs being anything memorable. That said, Disney’s live action remake of their classic movie was, at the very least, a wonderfully entertaining film.I was never a big fan of the original Jungle Book. I found it very boring, with only the songs being anything memorable. That said, Disney’s live action remake of their classic movie was, at the very least, a wonderfully entertaining film.

As you probably guessed, it follows the story from the animated film almost to the letter. There are several changes, a few things watered down, completely left out (no hippie vultures here), or their purpose in the film altered. It’s more engaging to watch, but the pacing seems a little off. Some points are glanced over and others are focused on for some time, though honestly that’s a minor nitpick. I will say that the action in the movie really made it much more interesting. In the original, there was hardly any action at all. If you took out the King Louie bit and climax, it was a very mellow film. So having the additional action scenes really helped.

I was worried that the celebrity voice acting would be distracting. Thankfully, I was wrong…for the most part. the majority of characters voiced by celebrities fit just fine. I especially loved Ben Kingsley’s Bagheera and Scarlet Johansson’s Kaa. In the case of Bill Murray as Baloo, however, it was bizarrely distracting. It’s ironic because I thought Murray would be the best casting choice, but each time he spoke it seemed out of place for some reason. I think it’s mostly because he spoke more like a city dwelling con artist than he did a jungle dwelling animal. A comparison made even more obvious if you see this film shortly after seeing the character Nick Wilde in Zootopia. That said, the issue may be more with the writing than the actor himself.

I will say that one of the biggest improvements from the original film is Neel Sethi’s performance as Mowgli. In the original, I always saw Mowgli as being a bland, typical child character. He was just an observer of the jungle, his personality defined by the situation that he was in. Mowgli in this movie was a much more defined character. He’s a man-cub with a surprisingly intellectual and curious mind that wants nothing more than to continue living in the jungle that he’s been raised in, preferably with the family that helped him grow. Now it can be argued that Mowgli’s character didn’t really grow or change much throughout the movie, but I think his character didn’t need it since several of the other characters have their own developments instead.

The other major concern I had with this movie was the fact that it’s live action and nearly 100% of the animals in it are CGI. I was seriously worried that they would look completely and utterly fake. Once again, I was gratefully mistaken. The CGI on the animals is fantastic. It’s not perfect and I would have preferred a few more practical effects to make them more realistic, but at the very least I can totally believe that they’re in the same scene as Sethi is, which is more than can be said for films like Jurassic World. All that said, however, there is absolutely no purpose in seeing this movie in 3D. The film doesn’t benefit from it at all. It’s a shame because, with most of it done in CGI, you’d think they would take advantage of it. But no, there is literally one, just ONE brief scene where the 3D works for the film, and it’s just a stupid jump scare. Don’t bother paying the extra bucks on the glasses.

The biggest pitfall that this movie has is the songs, or lack thereof. Don’t get me wrong, they do appear, but they’re handled in a very unpolished fashion. Bear Necessities, while getting a whole scene to it and sung well, is boiled down to just Mowgli and Baloo chilling while singing it. It’s kind of boring. Wanna be Like You was just odd in its presentation in the film, especially when you hear the fantastic rendition that they play over the end credits. Trust in Me and the Elephant March songs don’t appear in the movie at all. The first is just referenced with a line and only sung over the end credits while the second is completely removed (thought, to be fair, it was removed for a very understandable reason once you see the film). I hope we get these songs properly in an extended edition, because they do sound good.

The story is good though it has a slight pacing problem, helped a lot through the additional action sequences. Almost all of the characters fit perfectly in the film, with the main character being a really great improvement on the original. The CGI is just amazing. It’s an overall great film that I totally recommend seeing it in theaters…in 2D.
VadertimeApr 16, 2016
Very well done CGI effects with Sher Khan at his most menacing in any version. Story moves along and scenery is spectacular. Another masterpiece from Jon Favreau. Good job.
fukutopiaApr 16, 2016
I'm a fan of all of the live-action adaptations Disney has been releasing of their animated classics, but Jon Favreau has left us with something much, much more in The Jungle Book. It's quite literally a perfect film in every way—production,I'm a fan of all of the live-action adaptations Disney has been releasing of their animated classics, but Jon Favreau has left us with something much, much more in The Jungle Book. It's quite literally a perfect film in every way—production, cinematography, acting, effects, writing…you name it. This may be the best Disney movie I've ever seen, and it's definitely one of the best films I've seen. You know the story, so I won't bore you there. This is an excellent adaptation by Justin Marks, making a serious film with talking, singing animals that doesn't come off as ridiculous. It just feels natural, like something you see in your everyday life. It's a story full of action, adventure, suspense, humor, and most importantly—heart. It's a story about man's place in the world, but also about how much our learned behavior can triumph our nature. It's a story about family, and how there are ties that bind much stronger than blood. Do yourself a favor & see this film. See it on a massive screen if you can. I look forward to seeing Jon Favreau on stage at The Academy Awards next year. Expand
moviechecker_21Apr 15, 2016
Here is a film that stands as a perfect rendition of the Jungle Book tale. It may not be as savvy as the 60's Disney animation or Kipling's material, but it is still considered a jaw-dropping classic on its own! Director, Favreau quietlyHere is a film that stands as a perfect rendition of the Jungle Book tale. It may not be as savvy as the 60's Disney animation or Kipling's material, but it is still considered a jaw-dropping classic on its own! Director, Favreau quietly blends the roaring environment of Kipling and the musicality of Disney. What it produces is a significant homeostasis against the overly inorganic digital Hollywood...

All praises to Favreau, Marks and the entire cast & crew!!!
BananaGamer12Apr 25, 2016
O filme é lindo e tem uma diversão garantida para quem assistiu as versões anteriores,porém falha em muitos aspectos como dublagem,elenco e direção,mas no resto é um bom filme
NutanKopuriJun 6, 2016
I am sure you guys all know the story of The Jungle Book so I'm gonna cut the crap and get straight to the point. We have all read the extraordinary tale of The Jungle Book as a kid and would keep reading it over and over again to see the fatI am sure you guys all know the story of The Jungle Book so I'm gonna cut the crap and get straight to the point. We have all read the extraordinary tale of The Jungle Book as a kid and would keep reading it over and over again to see the fat bear. Director Jon Favreau took an interesting yet simple take on this movie by mixing action with comical aspects. There is technically only on artist in this movie and that is Neel Sethi. Neel Sethi excelled in his role as Mowgli and acted perfectly even though he was actually acting amongst props and magnificent CGI. The scenery in this movie was absolutely amazing and every shot was equally beautiful reminding us about how beautiful nature could really be. This movie emphasizes on values and morals and after all it is a disney movie so it has to teach the kids something. At the end of the movie it turns out to be a disney movie with a stellar character, evil villain, and a bunch of supporting characters that don't get enough time except for Baloo.

Pros:Amazing CGI, Beautiful Scenes, Some action and funny moments here or there Reminds you of The Lion King
Cons: Generic, Quite boring in some scenes

Verdict: 8/10 Would watch it again. But nah
metroid1980Jul 14, 2016
My own personal favorite film of this year!! its an absolute delight to watch. i went to the theater with no expectations at all, and leave the cinema completly blown away!!!
autcheApr 15, 2016
Total rubbish movie. Just as boring as the original; can't decide if it wants to be suspenseful, scary, comedy or musical. Don't worry, it does all things equally crappy - except for being boring; that it excelled at. Only redeemingTotal rubbish movie. Just as boring as the original; can't decide if it wants to be suspenseful, scary, comedy or musical. Don't worry, it does all things equally crappy - except for being boring; that it excelled at. Only redeeming quality was Bill Murray & Ben Kingsley. I swear, the kid has to be the son of the guy that played Anakin Skywalker in episode 1.. Most kids within a 10 foot radius were sleeping; heard more than a few times kids asking what time is it and is it almost over. Ugh...this was almost completely awful (sans Bill Murray & Ben Kingsley). Expand
BikerjamesApr 18, 2016
First it was all the Princess movies. Now Disney is cashing in by making live action films of all their old animated classics. I enjoyed this remake, although I still think the original fully animated film has more charm. This is a darkerFirst it was all the Princess movies. Now Disney is cashing in by making live action films of all their old animated classics. I enjoyed this remake, although I still think the original fully animated film has more charm. This is a darker version, and in fact some of the sequences may be too much for young children. The boy who plays the lead, Neel Sethi, does a fine job and does not overact like so many children his age tends to do. The visuals are the true star of the picture. Animation keeps getting more and more detailed as time goes on which can create controversy. If it is too realistic looking, you don't even feel you're watching an animated film anymore. The voice-over work is also fine across the board. Overall a winner. Expand
Iky009Apr 19, 2016
A classic nostalgic review 1967 Mowgli: The Wolf Boy or The Jungle Book, enchants for its visual beauty and so realistic visual effects that scare, something I have not seen since Life of Pi, and is sure to delight both children and adults,A classic nostalgic review 1967 Mowgli: The Wolf Boy or The Jungle Book, enchants for its visual beauty and so realistic visual effects that scare, something I have not seen since Life of Pi, and is sure to delight both children and adults, and can even thrill so beautiful it is. Expand
Chazd3Apr 18, 2016
This was without question the finest talking animal film I've ever seen. (I'm 66) Disclaimer, I saw it in 3D which I highly recommend. Visuals were jaw-dropping. They did a presentation in real world realism that has heretofore only beenThis was without question the finest talking animal film I've ever seen. (I'm 66) Disclaimer, I saw it in 3D which I highly recommend. Visuals were jaw-dropping. They did a presentation in real world realism that has heretofore only been possible in animation. A spectacular visual and a story filled with enough drama and moral themes for child and adult alike. This is an instant classic! Expand
marcmyworksMay 3, 2016
This film brought me back to my childhood. The new interpretation of these characters was phenomenal and Mowgli's portrayal by new actor Neel Sethi is quite good. Three cheers for a Disney reboot film that actually works.
ToFewViewsApr 24, 2016
The Jungle Book is a odd movie, It's trying to bring back a animated movie from most people's childhood but this time it's much more violent and has a lot less singing. With the amount of violent/action scenes in this movie it doesn't feelThe Jungle Book is a odd movie, It's trying to bring back a animated movie from most people's childhood but this time it's much more violent and has a lot less singing. With the amount of violent/action scenes in this movie it doesn't feel much like the original other then a few odd parts in the movie. One thing that was done right was CGI, They did a great job at keeping it seem realistic when working with humans and CGI. They also kept some human charm to the main characters to even that they are animals. The voice acting is also done well, Bill Murray, Christopher Walken and Ben Kingsley are just a few of the people who worked on this film. All together I'm confused by what Jungle Book wants to be. Dose it want to bring are childhood movies into a realm of violent action films? or still try to bring back what made it so special when we were younger. Expand
papadrew7Apr 15, 2016
Fantastic CGI and great 3d made this movie a technological marvel. The story was good too but the kid's acting took me out of it in some scenes, you could tell he was spouting verbalized lines in some scenes and others said you could tell heFantastic CGI and great 3d made this movie a technological marvel. The story was good too but the kid's acting took me out of it in some scenes, you could tell he was spouting verbalized lines in some scenes and others said you could tell he was acting in front of a green screen in some moments, BUT those scenes were few but it was a enough to warrant a two point reduction for an overall ranking of 8 out of 10. Personally, I don't know if its bias sense I grew up with the cartoon version but I liked the cartoon movie better. I also didn't like ( SPOILER ALERT) the kid doesn't go back to the man village so its like they are setting it up for a sequel instead of having a proper ending like the original. Expand
NickLikesMoviesApr 17, 2016
A visual masterpiece with a completely engaging, energetic, and emotional story that hooked me. I am blown away with this movie. The voice acting, the characters, Neel Sethi, the action, the music, the cinematography, and most importantly,A visual masterpiece with a completely engaging, energetic, and emotional story that hooked me. I am blown away with this movie. The voice acting, the characters, Neel Sethi, the action, the music, the cinematography, and most importantly, the breathtaking visual effects. Everything in this movie works perfectly. I was worried that the songs would feel out of place and awkward, but I was wrong, they really work well. Jon Favreau has made something very special with "The Jungle Book", and I can't wait to see it again. Expand
tjman09Apr 16, 2016
Overall The Jungle Book is an exciting, gorgeous, solidly crafted, and more mature entry to the growing list of Disney classic remakes. The film juggles the new audience’s expectations with the classic elements of the original beautifully, and what it creates is truly amazing. The film isn’t perfect, but is a great entry to the Disney live action canon. Above those who love Disney, and Disney classics, this is just in general a great retelling of this story, and should be seen in theaters, where the visual effects are showcased at their best.
MrMovieBuffApr 16, 2016
Disney nails another live action remake yet again. This time, director Jon Favreau ('Elf' and 'Iron Man') decides to take on the story written by Rudyard Kipling, and remaking the original 1967 animated classic. It's also worth mentioningDisney nails another live action remake yet again. This time, director Jon Favreau ('Elf' and 'Iron Man') decides to take on the story written by Rudyard Kipling, and remaking the original 1967 animated classic. It's also worth mentioning that the 1967 animated Disney classic was also the last animated feature film produced by Walt Disney before his death in December 1966. I wouldn't be surprised if that boosted the attention of 'The Jungle Book' (1967) for film-goers everywhere.

The movie stars Ben Kingsley as Bagheera the Black Panther who found a little, abandoned boy named Mowgli (a very talented and young Neel Sethi) and decided to let a family of wolves raise him.

We see Bagheera raising and training the little Mowgli who still has a lot to learn, but with him being the only "man cub" within the jungle, that doesn't seem to pass the attention of the villainous Shere Khan (Idris Elba) who plans to kill the young boy. This is seen as an opportunity for Bagheera to take Mowgli to where the humans are, but Mowgli feels that he only belongs in the jungle, he comes across different animals along the way including; a group of marching Elephants, a scheming snake named Kaa (Scarlett Johansson), but he also meets the fan favorite, Baloo the Bear (Bill Murray).

One thing I will say about Murray's performance is that, while certainly great and never failing to provide the laughs, this vision of Baloo is very different to the one in the original animated classic. The animated one was more clumsy, and maybe a bit more simple minded. Murray's version seems to stretch down the more sarcastic side, if anything Bill Murray is basically playing Bill Murray the Bear. But he is likeable and yes, they do sing the iconic "Bear Necessities" which bring back childhood memories of hearing the 1967 animated classic for the first time.

What mainly surprised me the most about this movie was how it accelerates more towards the second half, I felt that the first half was more deliberately paced from time to time, but once the action starts, director Jon Favreau knows how to keep you entertained and invested throughout. The CGI in this film and the setting looks so fantastic, that I can really imagine Disney remaking 'The Lion King' (1994) into live action soon, and it would look something like this. Perhaps Jon Favreau should do the honors of directing that as well if he wouldn't mind.

Much like 'Cinderella' (2015), I cannot say that 'The Jungle Book' is a "must see" film, because you have seen it before. However, if you are looking to taking your children to the cinema, or if you just want to watch a full-blooded, animal adventure film that also is not afraid to be too sentimental, then this is the movie you're looking for. It is another "better than your average live-action remake".
UrbanlistenerApr 17, 2016
Good family movie, a fairly well-made adaptation of the 1967 classic. Great performance by the young kid who had to act in front of green screens, great vocal work by the voice actors, except that Scarlett Johansson was kinda wasted, she wasGood family movie, a fairly well-made adaptation of the 1967 classic. Great performance by the young kid who had to act in front of green screens, great vocal work by the voice actors, except that Scarlett Johansson was kinda wasted, she was only there for one 2 minutes scene... The CGI is what makes this movie special, it is absolutely fantastic, exceptional work, there is some breathtaking scenes where you really wonder if it is real or not, the best CG I have ever seen. This movie is good for what it is, its worthy of the original and mostly tons of fun for all ages. Expand
ahmedimranMay 18, 2016
Probably the best movie released in 2016 yet. The acting, the scenery, its definitely a must watch in a theatre because of its effects! Dont mind watching it again!!!!!
dharmaApr 18, 2016
The Jungle Book is a technological breakthrough, and another blockbuster for Disney. While the plot is predictable, the performances are great. You will believe that top notch actors such as Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley and Christopher WalkenThe Jungle Book is a technological breakthrough, and another blockbuster for Disney. While the plot is predictable, the performances are great. You will believe that top notch actors such as Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley and Christopher Walken can elicit believable performances as talking animals! See it on the big screen if you can. Expand
vgmkyleMay 6, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. It was faithful to the old movie, but darker and well acted. I've never gotten any enjoyment out of talking animals until this film. It surprised me by how fluid and natural the cgi was.
TheQuietGamerSep 8, 2016
A stunning live-action adaption of one of Disney's animated classics. I really enjoyed how this version fleshed out additional elements of the story that the first movie did not. Particularly in regards to Mowgli's life with the wolves. ItA stunning live-action adaption of one of Disney's animated classics. I really enjoyed how this version fleshed out additional elements of the story that the first movie did not. Particularly in regards to Mowgli's life with the wolves. It helps the story take on more life and increases the scale of Mowgli's world. His adventure is much bigger this time around.

This is really a gorgeous movie. The animals in particular are stunning. Don't get me wrong, you can still tell these are all CGI animals, but the way they move and the effect they have on the world around them are both real. The shadows right down to the realistic animal movements help sell the story. As does the voice acting and young actor Neel Sethi, the only flesh and blood living entity onscreen. The kid deserves a lot of praise. His excellent performance really sells that Mowgli is interacting with live animal as opposed to CGI ones.

The story itself is still excellent. It's got heart and humor, as well as some dark moments. Nothing the kids won't be able to handle, but still serious enough to allow adults to engage with the material and give the movie some real stakes. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that some of the movie's best musical numbers made it into this version.

It's an excellent way to revisit the original movie. This time just in live action. It might not due too much new, but what it does differently makes all the difference. It's an intensely likable movie with excellent production and direction all around. The voice, acting, the visuals, the writing, everything comes together wonderfully. It's a perfect family movie and another win for Jon Favreau.
BasilZeroOct 11, 2016
Well made remake of a disney animated classic.

Touch up on all aspects and story scenes from the original movie. A bit darker than the original storyline. Though it has its funny moments with the memorable characters. At times it may
Well made remake of a disney animated classic.

Touch up on all aspects and story scenes from the original movie.

At times it may feel a bit awkward seeing the characters sing but overall it was performed well at least by the CGI characters.
csw12Aug 22, 2016
Beautiful animation and solid directing brings back great memories of the classic...........................................................................
SpangleApr 24, 2016
The Jungle Book is everything it ever should have been. A truly magical experience, The Jungle Book features stunning visuals, a great score, and fantastic special effects. This classic tale of a boy living in the jungle has been told beforeThe Jungle Book is everything it ever should have been. A truly magical experience, The Jungle Book features stunning visuals, a great score, and fantastic special effects. This classic tale of a boy living in the jungle has been told before obviously and its certainly not the most original plot nowadays to boot, but this does not prevent the film from still sweeping you up in its truly heartwarming tale. The Jungle Book bears its soul for all to see and the result is a truly touching and thoroughly emotional film. I honestly had to fight back tears repeatedly while watching, a feat that does not happen much. Yet, when director Jon Favreau is in control, this seems to be a regular occurrence. He honestly may be a master at emotional manipulation and touching your heart through his films, as evidenced here, as well as in Elf and Chef. Though this one is a big budget film, it feels wholly intimate. Ben Kingsley, Bill Murray, and Idris Elba, are all phenomenal here as voice actors. Neel Sethi is about as good as you can expect of a child actor. He never soars above expectations, but never disappoints either. Overall, The Jungle Book is about as good as a film of this type can be. It can be a little cardboard cutout at times, but it really touches your heart and entertains throughout thanks to great writing, direction, and voice acting. Expand
Jack97May 5, 2016
I never saw the original Jungle Book nor did I read the book so I was more or less unfamiliar with the story. But this Jungle Book movie is quite darn impressive I must say. The visual effects are the best I've seen so far this year. II never saw the original Jungle Book nor did I read the book so I was more or less unfamiliar with the story. But this Jungle Book movie is quite darn impressive I must say. The visual effects are the best I've seen so far this year. I believe this film has set a new standard for CGI at the movies. The story, although simple, is well executed. The voice acting is top notch (Bill Murray and Idris Elba especially), and the film has the good old Disney adventure vibe to add the needed entertainment and excitement. Overall a solid outing from Disney. Expand
Compi24Apr 20, 2016
Featuring quite possibly the most groundbreaking use of CGI to date, "The Jungle Book" is as much a testament to Jon Favreau's superior directorial prowess as it is a suitable interpretation of the Rudyard Kipling tale we've all come to knowFeaturing quite possibly the most groundbreaking use of CGI to date, "The Jungle Book" is as much a testament to Jon Favreau's superior directorial prowess as it is a suitable interpretation of the Rudyard Kipling tale we've all come to know and love. Thanks in no small part to the brilliant imagery, invigorating set pieces, and devoted voice acting work from every cast member, the resulting product is easily Disney's finest live action remake to date. Expand
SEROJAug 13, 2016
Probably one of the best CGI i've ever seen! The visuals are stunning! The story is a classic and the acting (obviously by the only actor) is acceptable but not so great! Overall i highly recommend this movie for all ages! I adored theProbably one of the best CGI i've ever seen! The visuals are stunning! The story is a classic and the acting (obviously by the only actor) is acceptable but not so great! Overall i highly recommend this movie for all ages! I adored the russian classic from 1967 "Mowgli" and this movie was for me - very special, even though i believe it could've been better! This is probably the highest 7/10 i ever gave :) Expand
smodcastApr 28, 2016
New yet, familiar characterizations, Funny and heart warming. This doesn't disappoint. The first in a dozen live action remakes from Disney that actually delivers the goods.
FreedomFightersJan 9, 2017
Disney's live-action adaptation of "The Jungle Book" is so far ahead of their other live-action adaptations that you kind of can't even compare them here: "The Jungle Book" is a tremendous film that's faithful to the source material,Disney's live-action adaptation of "The Jungle Book" is so far ahead of their other live-action adaptations that you kind of can't even compare them here: "The Jungle Book" is a tremendous film that's faithful to the source material, wonderfully acted, well-written and well-directed, while also featuring some painstaking visual excellence that might even be some of the best of 2016. Make it a point to catch "The Jungle Book," because it's truly a wonder to behold. Expand