Paramount Pictures | Release Date: March 21, 1941
Buy on
thefruitmanJan 16, 2021
Fruitman Reviews: Top 52 Movies of all Time. #52: The Lady Eve
Date: 17-01-2021
Author: Tim Yeend Genre: Comedy, Romance Metacritic Score: 96 Runtime: 1 hour 34 minutes Original Release: March 21st 1941 General Review: Being only the second
Fruitman Reviews: Top 52 Movies of all Time. #52: The Lady Eve
Date: 17-01-2021
Author: Tim Yeend
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Metacritic Score: 96
Runtime: 1 hour 34 minutes
Original Release: March 21st 1941

General Review:
Being only the second black and white film I have ever seen I wasn’t sure what the expect. Romance films are not normally my cup of tea but I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I found myself genuinely interested in the characters. Throughout the movie I was enthralled with finding out how it would end, however the ending was somewhat of a letdown.

The Good:
The acting by both the main actors (Barbara Stanwyck as the titular lady eve and Henry Fonda as the love interest Charles) was fantastic. The rest of the cast was also good but the main two were superb in their ability to portray emotions both in their voice, facial expressions and body language all throughout the movie.
The story, a very well written story that kept me entertained from start to finish, there were never any dull or boring parts.

The Bad:
Charles the naïve fool, for someone who is supposedly a scientist he is very naïve and lacks critical thinking. But I guess a pretty lady supposedly makes even the smartest man a fool.
The ending, without spoiling the storyline I cannot go into much detail as to why I didn’t like the ending but it seemed a little bit rushed and unbelievable. Being spoilt growing up in the current era of films with modern technology made this film difficult to watch at certain times, mostly in the scenes with more rapid movement, or the zoomed-out scenes. It feels a bit harsh to bring this up but it did detract from the overall experience for myself

Final Thoughts:
A romance, come revenge story line with superb acting and an enthralling story with interesting characters, with some scenes that truly made me laugh. I was pleasantly surprised that a movie from the 40s portrayed a woman as an intelligent, interesting and lead character. If you are a fan of romance movies I highly recommend giving it a watch.

Score:
7.5 out of 10 pineapples!