Netflix | Release Date: September 27, 2019
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 58 Ratings
Watch Now
eagleeyevikingOct 21, 2019
While "The Laundromat" starts at the right foot, it soon devolves into a wildly disjointed mashup of unrelated scenes.
amheretojudgeOct 19, 2019
A heist? More like robbing you in front of your eyes. And by you, I mean you. Reading this.

The Laundromat The director Steven Soderberg is famous for sugar coating a bitter script into a magical bean. That's sort of his resume. He directs.

The Laundromat

The director Steven Soderberg is famous for sugar coating a bitter script into a magical bean. That's sort of his resume. He directs. And just as some famous directors (only directors) he relies, obviously, a lot on the writer. Unfortunately, tonight's not the night for Soderberg. That is not an excuse or defend for the director. I am not lawyer-ing for him, since he chose to work on the script with a big star in his pockets. I am defending him for I am with him, completely on his work. Usually while reading a script, something clicks and you see those words in a certain way. Hopefully, no one has ever seen.

Now you want to put your personal spin on that storyline and characters that will hook the audience lickety split. And if I was in his seat, I would too struggle a lot to hone this based-on-real-events crisis. But then maybe that's why he is Soderberg and I am.. Anyhoo, this brings back to where we started. The film doesn't stay true to anything. It never reaches the "Oh! This is that kind of a film" moment. And when it does and it does, late, right before the last act. It is clearly too late.

Despite well edited so called "small talks" and hilarious scenarios, the film doesn't capture the humor as it needed to. It is referred to, as being a wannabe Adam McKay's The Big Short, but it actually isn't. McKay's bibliography might as well be thrown out since it's not going to be useful for anyone but him. His unique touch is not Midas but a McKay's touch. The gold that Soderberg digs here had a wrong map, motivation and might I dare, even the hosts. And I mean, every actor present in The Laundromat.
FilmreactiviewOct 18, 2019
THE LAUNDROMAT
Unfocused plot execution makes it a mess!
Release October 18th, 2019 on Netflix Audience REACTIONS at its North American PREMIERE:
Mauro_LanariOct 21, 2019
(Mauro Lanari)
(Mauro Lanari)
Soderberg's glaciality can be as searing as a fire inferno or as fruitless as a sterilized area, and a single image from the last episode of the apocalyptic "The Knick" (2015) is more thrilling than this acrobatic financial policy pamphlet. It recalls the drift of Abel Ferrara, who relegated himself from the philosophical-theological vein to that of the Pasolinian-type civil commitment.
BHBarryOct 24, 2019
“The Laundromat” stars Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas and a host of other “A List” actors in cameo roles that I’m sure all of them wish they had never filled.
This movie, written by Scott Burns and directed by Steven Soderbergh,
This movie, written by Scott Burns and directed by Steven Soderbergh, is simply not a good film and ranks among Ms. Streep’s lowest endeavors, almost equaling her disasterous participation in Mamma Mia (except here at least she doesn’t sing).
In an unnecessary and very patronizing narrative, Messrs. Oldman and Banderas talk and walk us through the film as they explain to the audience the basics of economics and the skill of creating and maintaining off shore corporate entities. Mr. Oldman in particular, portraying a German born lawyer with a bad hairpiece, is an annoying distraction as he wanders in and out of the accent he has so much difficulty in trying to maintain. Both Mr. Oldman's make-up person and dialect coach should have been replaced since neither did their job well. This, coupled with so many other flaws, adds to the viewer’s general discomfort. To make matter worse, there are many inconsistencies and plot problems in the film all supporting the fact that it simply does not work. I give the film a rating of 4.0 and suggest that the writer and director “clean up” their act (pun intended).
Since the film is concurrently being exhibited both on Netflix and theatrically, I suggest streaming it in order to save lots of time and expense.
tropicAcesOct 20, 2019
Incredible cast and nice color palette, but aimless and gets more and more on-the-nose and in-your-face as it goes; the final shot of the film in-particular actually made me angry.
migdalorguyOct 26, 2019
So many possibilities, such a poor result. I was really rpoting for this movie. I was disappointed. A truly stellar cast, a clever approach to the topic. But it totally fails to deliver more than a milquetoast slap on the wrist, and doesn'tSo many possibilities, such a poor result. I was really rpoting for this movie. I was disappointed. A truly stellar cast, a clever approach to the topic. But it totally fails to deliver more than a milquetoast slap on the wrist, and doesn't inspire the deep anger it should. Expand
JLuis_001Oct 30, 2019
It wastes its cast and wastes the story.
It tries a lot to be like The Big Short but the satire is not adequate at all because it's not funny and also fails to be as scathing, insightful, and smart as that film was.
Sometimes things don't
It wastes its cast and wastes the story.

Sometimes things don't work out but this is a sad waste coming from Soderbergh.
ehuismanApr 19, 2020
Honest in its intentions, but poor in execution, The Laundromat lets a lot of stardom go to waste. The extravagant portrayal of tax evasion undercuts the seriousness of this problem, turning both perpetrators and victims into caricatures.Honest in its intentions, but poor in execution, The Laundromat lets a lot of stardom go to waste. The extravagant portrayal of tax evasion undercuts the seriousness of this problem, turning both perpetrators and victims into caricatures. What sticks is how eager its makers are to push their unsubtle ideology onto their audience, climaxing into Streep's finale rant on campaign financing laws - which has very little to do with the problem at hand. Because these views are so aggressively communicated, they are ultimately not communicated at all. Expand
JayDaviesJul 21, 2020
Good performances from Gary Oldman & Antonio Banderas but really just an all over the place film. Feels like it’s trying to imitate The Big Short just a little too much. Defnntely some wasted casting in Meryl Streep, David Schwimner, JeffreyGood performances from Gary Oldman & Antonio Banderas but really just an all over the place film. Feels like it’s trying to imitate The Big Short just a little too much. Defnntely some wasted casting in Meryl Streep, David Schwimner, Jeffrey Wright and James Cromwell. It was fine, just fine, it’s ok for a Netflix Original but no one really needs to go out of there way to see it. Nuff said

5/10 Jay x