Relativity Media | Release Date: February 27, 2015
Mixed or average reviews based on 103 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
quincytheodoreMay 11, 2015
Olivia Wilde breathes life to a predictable premise. With a title like The Lazarus Effect, audience would know what to expect and the movie doesn't disappoint in this regard. It dabbles in resurrection theme, moral ambiguity and the usualOlivia Wilde breathes life to a predictable premise. With a title like The Lazarus Effect, audience would know what to expect and the movie doesn't disappoint in this regard. It dabbles in resurrection theme, moral ambiguity and the usual possession angle. It's not even presented in large scale or big budget, but what separates the movie with the rest are the performance of the actors, especially Olivia Wilde, and its modest yet effective presentation.

A group of scientists stumble upon the serum which can prolong life. However, the result is not exactly what they expect and to make matter worse the university plucks their funding after some moral issue. Desperate to reclaim their experiment, they try to salvage it only to end up in much sinister situation. Fans of the genre might recognize the typical plot point here. The movie happens almost exclusively in the small confine of the laboratory and it makes the best of it.

Mark Duplass as Frank is the lead male, he's pretty invested in this endeavor even to the point of illegality. Duplass gives convincing portrayal of ambitious doctor while also delivers a few intrusive perverse thoughts. The cast is relatively small and they perform capably. The supporting characters offer consistent personalities, but the material could've explored them more.

Olivia Wilde carries the movie beyond what expected from it, simply by giving wide range of emotions to the character. She begins as a stressed doctor and wife, then delves further into deep-rooted negativity. At one point she looks like a frightened victim and the next she turns remorselessly savage with a hint of seductive glare. This constant change could implore sympathy yet also eerily creepy.

The scares are mostly all right, though some predictable jump scares are still shoehorned in. Cinematography keeps a steady contrast between light and dark, occasionally painting the scenes with vivid color for more psychological trip. Some of the horror is on point, but few admittedly miss the suspense it has already set with pedestrian gore.

While The Lazarus Effect doesn't create novel view, Wilde's capable lead ushers it into the realm of above average horror.
horcrux2007Feb 28, 2015
This movie promises the audience very little, and it delivers the good mildly well. What drew me to this film was the very limited scope (the whole plot takes place in one laboratory) and the interesting cast. Olivia Wilde was definitely theThis movie promises the audience very little, and it delivers the good mildly well. What drew me to this film was the very limited scope (the whole plot takes place in one laboratory) and the interesting cast. Olivia Wilde was definitely the strongest aspect of the movie, and she made this so much better than it could have been. Wilde gave a subtle and very unsettling performance to make her character very memorable. Sarah Bolger was another strong part of the cast, and she gave it her all when her character is being stalked by a demonic Olivia Wilde. The rest of the actors were decent yet forgettable. This movie has a lot of great ideas, but there wasn't any room for any of those ideas to fully develop themselves due to the criminally short 83 minute running time. Had the movie been about 15 minutes longer, those themes could have been developed better. There is a twist at the end of the movie that does explain a few of the more questionable plot points. I jumped a few times, I cringed a few times, and I rolled my eyes a few times, but the Lazarus Effect does its job in a decently creepy yet forgettable fashion. Expand
Le__XenomorphFeb 27, 2015
absolutely terrible, derivative, and non-scary. The Lazarus Effect is a mess and does not hold up with the classic horror films like the Exorcist. 0/10 (Atrocity)
luckymisclicksMar 10, 2015
Acting was really good. Scares were really scary. The idea was great. Just an all around good time at the movies. I love Olivia Wilde and Mark Duplass was very good too.
TheQuietGamerOct 23, 2015
Some good ideas are present, but it never capitalizes on them. It touches on elements of religion vs. science and what exactly qualifies as "crossing the line." These elements are unfortunately ditched in favor of generic horror that reallySome good ideas are present, but it never capitalizes on them. It touches on elements of religion vs. science and what exactly qualifies as "crossing the line." These elements are unfortunately ditched in favor of generic horror that really isn't scary. The typical attempts at fear are here, but it's really just a boring film.

The one strength the film keeps throughout is it's great cast. The performances are fantastic and they feel like believable characters. Their interactions are really incredible, and the moments of humor between them (that obviously take place before it tries to get scary) feel genuine. I mean, don't get me wrong I still really didn't give a crap about them. The characters aren't fleshed out and are therefore nothing more than just bodies to add to the pile. Even with that though, it's a joy to watch the actors do so well. They elevate the movie into something watchable as opposed to the straight up awfulness it would have been without them.

Still, even with the fantastic performances it doesn't change the fact that this is a boring and completely non-scary horror movie. I appreciate that the movie didn't go full possession flick like it could have. They make it very clear that it is the character returning, only this time changed due to resurrection. It doesn't really help the movie at all in the scare department, but it makes elements of the plot a little more interesting.

To be honest the story is pretty cool. Yeah, it ditches the philosophical questions early on in favor of poor attempts at scaring you, but I was interested in what was happening at the time. Even if it was boring as crap thanks to a lack of tension or a creepy atmosphere. Turns out simply giving Olivia Wilde completely black eyes while having her stand in the dark and occasionally pop out at us isn't scary. Who would've thought.

Simply put, "The Lazarus Effect" has some interesting stuff going that is brought down by some really boring horror. It could have been something smart and interesting, but instead went with trying to be scary and failed miserably at it. The deeper elements are present and can be seen for the briefest amounts of time. It's just a shame the overall movie didn't use them more. What we have here is a boring horror flick without anything scary going on. That makes it a mediocre film perfectly worth skipping.
Eon2323Feb 28, 2015
Such a likable cast but such a derivative, uninspired story. It had the potential to go somewhere with its idea, but it falls flat because of the plot points and cheap scare ploys. Still a huge fan of Donald Glover and Mark Duplass though.
ThegodfathersonFeb 28, 2015
The Lazarus Effect feels like a movie that was ripped straight off of a pastor's VCR. And while it delivers laughable acting and bad scares, the religon that is injected into this movie is depressing. This is if The Last Exorcism met Spit OnThe Lazarus Effect feels like a movie that was ripped straight off of a pastor's VCR. And while it delivers laughable acting and bad scares, the religon that is injected into this movie is depressing. This is if The Last Exorcism met Spit On Your Grave, both terrible movies. Olivia Wilde was dragged into this mess, she is a good actress, but TLE proves even her wrong. This movie is not scary, there are a few jumpscares and exorcism stuff, but all are used at the WRONG time. Its like Paranormal Activity 4, where even the boyfriend gives her girlfriend an unexpected jumpscare that detracts from the movie itself. Horrible and unambitious, The Lazarus Effect is another royal turd of 2015. Bravo. Expand
ChowdaAug 7, 2015
I don't understand. When people write scripts and then start directing......Do they not have a guy that says "Uh....well that doesn't make any sense." This movie seems like it was based on a pretty good idea but the execution and writing wereI don't understand. When people write scripts and then start directing......Do they not have a guy that says "Uh....well that doesn't make any sense." This movie seems like it was based on a pretty good idea but the execution and writing were horrible. Expand
Meth-dudeSep 26, 2016
The acting was good, the premise was interesting and the movie was entertaining. Even if the CGI effects were not very good, the movie was predictable at times and the ending was silly, it was still a good, entertaining horror flick.
Costs1129Jun 17, 2015
Meh. Cliche after cliche. Also, never really understood the motivation of the possession or what the cause. The entire movie was slow to progress. Once the action began it made no sense. Why an omnipotent being was toying with her prey isMeh. Cliche after cliche. Also, never really understood the motivation of the possession or what the cause. The entire movie was slow to progress. Once the action began it made no sense. Why an omnipotent being was toying with her prey is really never explained. The whole thing felt so shallow. Pity, because the general premise had great potential. Expand
PRAJEEMay 17, 2015
The Lazarus Effect ;; awesome movie , olivia wilde acting superb//
MOVIE IS FULLY ENTERTAINER ,,
OVERALL AWESOME ONE .. .....................LOVE IT..
TVJerryMar 4, 2015
Mark Duplass and Olivia Wilde play a couple of scientists who have discovered a serum that does what the title suggests. But unlike the grateful Bible character, the revived creature has all manner of unexplained dark powers. Just like theMark Duplass and Olivia Wilde play a couple of scientists who have discovered a serum that does what the title suggests. But unlike the grateful Bible character, the revived creature has all manner of unexplained dark powers. Just like the experiment, the film starts promisingly, but after the evil erupts the movie becomes predictable and dumb (black pupils, really?). Nothing makes much sense and the evil deeds aren't scary or inventive. On the positive side, the cinematography is attractive. Expand
ChaeoteJul 9, 2015
Pet Cemetery meets SCIENCE!!

plus, a really **** boring ending...
and horrible editing...

and no continuity...

Sarah Bolger was hot as hell though...so, +1 point
LeZeeNov 4, 2017
The stimulated brain terrorising!

The stimulated brain terrorising!

Actually, this film was made before 'Lucy', but released after that. So I first saw that and now this. Basically, these two films are similar thematic, except the genres are different. I liked Scarlett's film, a very much enjoyable. This film too looked nice, and watching it after that makes to understand it better. I meant scientifically, rather than a supernatural way. So what's extra in this was the usual horror film style jumpy scenes, with loud and sudden sounds.

Limited cast, and one day event based film. Not a bad writing or the direction and performances. The settings were perfect, and the film did not require strong graphics. The story followed a small medical researcher team who is working on a serum that brings the dead back to life. When their entire work was ceased by the company they were working for, they decide to recreate everything to prove its theirs. Then something goes wrong, following a series of destruction before it all ends.

Like I said, it was more a science-fictional thriller than your regular horror film. But it borrowed the same style to present on the screen. The events are simple to understand, except that scientific thing. Because there won't be any difference for those who are weak in basic science. It'll be another normal boring horror flick. For me, it's an average film, watchable for once being short and well paced narration.

BrianMcCriticJun 20, 2015
A film with just as many unanswered questions as there are thrills. Except for a few moments of solid imagery, The Lazarus Effect is a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo that leads to a ridiculous ending. C-
lelefoxx00Jun 13, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching the trailer for this movie, I was extremely excited to see it. I loved the idea it had going and the potential. However, it ended with me feeling slightly disappointed and relieved I didn't pay to see it in theaters. The pros are the fantastic cast, the plot idea of bringing back the dead (ending in a Pet Cemetery style regret), and the overall look/feel of the movie. The cons are failure to reach expectations (it had so much potential), confusion and lack of explanation (what really happened in that burning apartment? Why was she seeing firemen in the end?), and the sudden fast-forward in how quick everything progressed. Once one of them died, the rest just started dropping like flies. Before reaching the middle of the movie, everything just started happening at once. It felt so rushed.

Overall, I would have to say, yes, give this movie a try. It is good. Personally, it isn't something I would re-watch.
dsj556Jul 25, 2015
My main issue with this movie is the majority of researchers that work in areas like this would be middle aged white guys not the uber racially and gender diverse group you have here. Hard to watch this when you think about that. Also likeMy main issue with this movie is the majority of researchers that work in areas like this would be middle aged white guys not the uber racially and gender diverse group you have here. Hard to watch this when you think about that. Also like another user said it's Pet Cemetery with science. Sometimes dead is better. Expand
REVIEWERWILLMar 22, 2015
i am saying right now this is worst movie of the year not scary i like oliva wade but not this i fell asleep because it was not even a scare the pliot also sucks one of the worst scary flims since oujia even no was scare in place
MacheteDontTextJun 6, 2015
Perfect for watching in the background while doing something else...

Promising beginning leads nowhere, everything is generally predictable, still passable. Sience is the devil undertone is the most unsettling thing about this movie though.
WheelzFourReelzMar 10, 2015
There is some freaky imagery that's decently effective and the cast does an adequate job, but The Lazarus is devoid of scares and isn't very enjoyable to watch.
apuckett22Mar 26, 2015
This movie was alright on certain parts but all in all, it was directed very poorly! All of the scary parts were predictable. And the story line jumped around; it was confusing at times. Ending was awful. I wouldn't recommend it...
SolInvictaMay 24, 2015
The Lazarus Effect tries to be original by borrowing ideas from a plethora of other horror movies. It winds up being an unoriginal and unscary waste of a great cast.
Horror_buffJun 17, 2015
I really wanted to like this movie since it deals with the profound subject of life after death. However, instead of an imaginative or creative story, were are forced to watch a b-grade horror (yawner) flick. The plot is absolutelyI really wanted to like this movie since it deals with the profound subject of life after death. However, instead of an imaginative or creative story, were are forced to watch a b-grade horror (yawner) flick. The plot is absolutely incoherent, and there were virtually no moments that were at all frightening. In all, this was a serious disappointment. I'd expect an actress the caliber of Olivia Wilde (and her co-stars) to choose more thoughtful roles. Expand
AlainashariffJun 29, 2015
I'm a horror fan, and usually I look for the plot of the story rather than the camera angle and stuff like that. Yes, it was a bit slow at first, but I still was engaged with what was happening. It gave me a back-up story and showed theI'm a horror fan, and usually I look for the plot of the story rather than the camera angle and stuff like that. Yes, it was a bit slow at first, but I still was engaged with what was happening. It gave me a back-up story and showed the process of what was happening. I loved the ending where things go out of hand, and I myself had my heart beating fast as I waited to see what was happening and who was going to be killed. And the twisted ending was great as well. That scared me, and that's what I really look for in a horror movie. It's good for halloween or sleepovers. Expand
calebowensmallJan 23, 2016
This movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm a HUGE Blumhouse fan and this movie was really good. The acting was great, it was scary, and doesn't deserve a low rating. Worth checking out!
Stargirl04May 15, 2016
It was okay... it wasn't long enough... and it didn't really go anywhere...didn't go the direction I would have expected. Kind of disappointed because I had such high hopes.
gemmapartlowAug 28, 2016
As scary movies go, this one is pretty thrilling. It reminded me of Flatliners, in that a group of students have discovered a way to bring the dead back to life, but instead of using a defibrillator, it is by way of DMT, a chemical producedAs scary movies go, this one is pretty thrilling. It reminded me of Flatliners, in that a group of students have discovered a way to bring the dead back to life, but instead of using a defibrillator, it is by way of DMT, a chemical produced in the brain which regenerates itself and contributes to rapid evolution of the brain's neurotransmitters. The result is an experience of something negative that happened in the past, over and over again. I love that Frank goes to great lengths to protect his girlfriend, and (spoiler alert) that she eventually does the same for him. Expand
FilipeNetoMay 17, 2022
When I found this film, I thought it would be a cinematic approach to Lazarus Syndrome, which is the apparently spontaneous reactivation of the heartbeat after all attempts to resuscitate a patient in cardiac arrest have failed. This is aWhen I found this film, I thought it would be a cinematic approach to Lazarus Syndrome, which is the apparently spontaneous reactivation of the heartbeat after all attempts to resuscitate a patient in cardiac arrest have failed. This is a very rare situation to happen, and I thought the movie would be about that. I was wrong.

The film's script follows a small group of young scientists who are carrying out a controversial and eventually revolutionary study: the creation of a serum that allows the dead to be reanimated. They are testing it on animals, but a bureaucratic twist ends up denying them the possibility of continuing the study. However, they decide to continue secretly, even though the results of tests on animals have revealed that there are dangerous brain changes, resulting from the application of the serum, in the resuscitated animals. After breaking into the lab at night, the group has an accident and one of the group's scientists dies. They then decide to use the serum to bring her back to life.

The film has an interesting base premise and one that will draw some inspiration from the source of "Frankenstein" and other mad or amoral scientists. These are fascinating and frightening topics, because we naturally fear those men who use their genius and wisdom without any moral concern to guide them. However, the film fails to develop this in the best way: the whole question that leads to the expulsion of the scientists from that laboratory is, to say the least, unconvincing, and any minimally serious scientist would be incapable of performing an experiment on human beings without solid positive results in the previous stages. It is a huge nonsense that tramples everything we consider as a "scientific method".

The cast has its good moments. Olivia Wilde does a really good job, she's convincing, and it's not difficult to sympathize with her character, for her stubbornness and sympathy. Mark Duplass didn't seem so committed or believable to me, but he has some very good moments, particularly in the second half of the film. Sarah Bolger (who I only knew from her role in the "Tudors" series) is beautiful, but in addition to her feminine beauty, she also gives us a mature and interesting interpretation, particularly in the final scenes of the film.

On a technical level, the film doesn't have much to offer us. The cinematography is fairly generic, and the editing appears to have been harsh, with mangled subplots and a total runtime reduced to just over an hour. The sets are good enough, especially the labs used in the filming, and the soundtrack is good enough, though not remarkable.
benskylerhillMay 15, 2018
The Lazarus Effect is a disappointing mess. It's disappointing because it has so much going for it. It attempts to ask deep philosophical questions about life and death but it just doesn't know where it wants to go with them.

The characters

The characters are all completely disposable with nothing significant about them individually. They are very lazily written into the film and it's hard to find reason to care about them. It's such a waste of a truly talented cast. The performances are as good as they can possibly be despite the script that's riddled with cliché after cliché after cliché. Jump scares abound and not a single one of them is unexpected.

That's not to say that all of the scares are ineffective, though. The Lazarus Effect makes impactful use of very creepy, original imagery that is genuinely unsettling. The lighting creates an atmosphere of tension that's unexpectedly powerful.

But aside from this, there's not much good to be said here. The movie spends a great deal of time trying to make sense of itself, and it does so in all the wrong ways. The dialogue is stuffed with scientific mumbo-jumbo in a attempt to convince us that the premise is actually logical and plausible. But while it sets all of that up, it forgets to set up compelling characters and, more importantly, fails to establish the rules for the supernatural world it creates. Once possession occurs and creepy things start happening, nothing makes sense anymore because nothing is developed. What are the demon's motives? What is this supernatural entity? Any message lying here is lost entirely in the mess that is the second and third acts.

The Lazarus Effect: high ambitions, low delivery. It's not scary and it can't make up for that because there really is nothing else it has to offer.

Story: 4
Acting: 7.5
Script: 2.5
Visuals/Sound: 8.5
Entertainment Value: 3.5

OVERALL SCORE: 5.2/10
gamedevilbeeSep 24, 2018
สิ่งที่ชอบในหนังเรื่องนี้ ตือการแสดงของสาว Olivia Wilde เล่นได้ร้ายและโหดสะใจมาก จริงๆในเรื่องนางสวยมากด้วยนะ
แอดก็อยากให้นางเล่นบทร้ายชักเรื่องจัง
เลยทำให้หนังน่าสนใจและสนุกขึ้น ประเด็นหนังที่ใส่ในหนังเรื่องนี้ มันจะเกี่ยวกับ ความเชื่อศาสนา
แอดก็อยากให้นางเล่นบทร้ายชักเรื่องจัง
เลยทำให้หนังน่าสนใจและสนุกขึ้น
ประเด็นหนังที่ใส่ในหนังเรื่องนี้ มันจะเกี่ยวกับ ความเชื่อศาสนา โลกหลังความตาย กับ วิทยาศาสตร์ ถึงแม้หนังจะไม่ให้คำตอบที่ชัดเจนมากแต่ก็ทำออกมาน่าสนใจดี
ส่วนบรรยากาศหนังก็ทำได้ออกทำไม่ค่อยน่ากลัวเท่า่ไร
แต่มันเล่นกับความมืดได้ทำให้เราลุ้นได้ไม่เบาเลย
ด้านสกอร์เพลงประกอบ แอดชอบมากมาเป็นพิเศษเลย
มันมีความลึกลับตอนต้นๆ แล้วมาค่อยๆน่ากลัวดาร์กๆขึ้นเรื่อย
บวกกับ Sound ล้ำๆโหดๆหน่อย ทำให้สกอร์นี้ดูไม่ธรรมดาเลย ข้อเสีย
บทของหนังในช่วงหลังดูผีบ้าผีบอมาก ไม่ใช่มันดูตลกนะ มันดูบ้าหลุดออกทะเลมากพอสมควร สำหรับแอดคิดว่ามันสะใจดีนะ แม่งบ้าดี 555+
M_vanHFeb 12, 2019
Whilst Olivia Wilde tries her best to make this work, this film is thouroughly predictible and disappointing as a whole. The cast itself is quite good - but the writing is a major let down. The characters end up being clichés without it beingWhilst Olivia Wilde tries her best to make this work, this film is thouroughly predictible and disappointing as a whole. The cast itself is quite good - but the writing is a major let down. The characters end up being clichés without it being blatantly intentional, like a less self-aware version of "the Cabin in the Woods". The scares aren't scary either; they mostly involve a few flashing lights with one character disappearing and reappearing with black eyes. In short; this was just boring. Expand
ArcanaThe4thMay 31, 2019
This movie had a few good ideas. These few ideas and moments are the only reason I'm not giving it a zero, because it is stupid in everything else. Execution, plot, etc, you've probably seen it already and you'll just be frustrated by it here.
JLauSep 25, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Similar plot to Flatliners but this time, when they bring the girl back from the dead, there's something not quite right with her and she starts killing the team of science students and there's also something about her letting a couple die in a fire when she was a child. Expand