Concorde Filmverleih | Release Date: September 8, 2017
Mixed or average reviews based on 29 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
temptershellSep 13, 2017
A mediocre costume film based on Jack the Ripper story with a above average actress. Surprising creations, poor stage design and even worse editing, but I did not expect anything more.
Rebecca31Sep 8, 2017
The Limehouse Golem practically screams Jack the Ripper I honestly don’t know why they didn’t just make a Jack the Ripper movie. Or better yet a TV show because from the moment it starts it’s got that TV movie feeling which it never shakes.The Limehouse Golem practically screams Jack the Ripper I honestly don’t know why they didn’t just make a Jack the Ripper movie. Or better yet a TV show because from the moment it starts it’s got that TV movie feeling which it never shakes. That’s not a major criticism, it could have been a lot worse but there were too many occasions where I wanted the episode to end so I could tune in next week only to realise oh right I’m watching a “film”, any chance you could skip past yet another musical moment and get on with the story? Thanks.

You're hooked instantly by the serial killer, the mysterious Golem and once you’re intrigued enough not to leave, the story takes a sharp detour into the wonderful world of stage performances and be prepared to sit though song after song after song. No this won’t go down as anything particularly memorable and it hasn’t really brought anything new to the whole serial killer terrorizing ye olde London genre. What it does have is a good story that only gets better the more time you give it. Although it took long enough I did eventually start to enjoy this “film.” It’s dark and twisted enough to attract a certain audience and it definitely delivers with the gore. Keeps you on your toes for a while but you can guarantee you’ll have the killer figured out well before the dramatic reveal. It’s far too stagy for its own good but there’s enough to entertain you. Recommended if you’re in desperate need of a horror movie fix before IT.
IttiacesSep 15, 2017
It was Bill Nighy as the headliner that encouraged me to see this film. He's a fine actor, and I've always enjoyed his performances. I have to be honest and say he wasn't great in this. It's a role I haven't seen him play before, and whetherIt was Bill Nighy as the headliner that encouraged me to see this film. He's a fine actor, and I've always enjoyed his performances. I have to be honest and say he wasn't great in this. It's a role I haven't seen him play before, and whether it was the script or the direction, it robbed him of his usual charisma. The character was flat, very one-dimensional and I didn't feel any attachment to him whatsoever. Poor Bill! The rest of the film was much the same. I love a good period piece. The clothes and some of the sets were nicely done, although I did notice that most locations had a studio feel and didn't give the impression of a big city. On the plus, I did enjoy Olivia Cooke's performance, she was excellent and held the screen very well. The story itself is just another Jack the Ripper rehash. It tries to be clever with a few twists and turns, but unfortunately, they're all somewhat predictable. It's not particularly scary, just gory and needlessly so at times. Overall, it isn't amazing by any means but not terrible either, more like something you'd watch on TV after your Xmas dinner. If you fall asleep in the middle, it won't matter that much. Expand
LeZeeFeb 4, 2018
The 19th century murder mysteries!

The 19th century murder mysteries!

Based on the book of the same name. The late 1800s murder mystery, revolving around a young woman and an old cop who is investigating a series of murders. Elizabeth Cree had not had a best childhood, but she almost reached to her dream to become a best actress in the town. Then suddenly a murder jeopardise everything she had worked so hard. Now she has to cooperate with a detective to come out of the mess. But the tale takes a twist at every corner, making more complication for her freedom. How this puzzle is solved was told with a final twist that flips the whole scenario upside down.

First of all, I love such costume drama. The atmosphere was awesome. Well maintained suspense, along with a good pace of the story narration. From all it's the actors, especially for me, it's the Olivia Cooke. Bill Nighy was not bad too. Despite he's one of the main character, Cooke stole the show. But the film was not a masterpiece. From an entertainment perspective, it delivered. I think it was a good adaptation. The only weak point is, most people would guess the end twist. It was intentional. But overall film was decent.

DawdlingPoetNov 28, 2021
This film is somewhat spooky in tone but also felt a little bit forced perhaps - its predictable to an extent but having said that, I did find it relatively entertaining. I thought Bill Nighy was a good choice of actor in his role as heThis film is somewhat spooky in tone but also felt a little bit forced perhaps - its predictable to an extent but having said that, I did find it relatively entertaining. I thought Bill Nighy was a good choice of actor in his role as he seemed to me quite believable as a Victorian police inspector.

There is quite a lot of bloody violence depicted, or perhaps moreso bloody injuries depicted, which mean it isn't for the faint hearted. its fairly atmospheric, although there have been a fair number of similar period drama films made and released in the past. I think I mostly liked it in terms of trying to understand where other characters were coming from, attempting to piece things together. It felt like a feature length BBC costume drama production, only with a bit more blood and gore than we might perhaps expect. Not a great watch but not an awful one either, I felt it was ok. There was a definite element of enforced melodrama which didn't sit well with me but its not unwatchable either.

Would I recommend it? I'm not sure I'd say its worth going out of your way to see, so no I wouldn't outright recommend it. It felt a bit too 'run of the mill' to me, although thats not to say it isn't watchable but I wouldn't spend money to see it specifically.
geewahJan 9, 2021
A glorified tele-movie. Nothing original, nothing exciting. So bland in so many ways.