Netflix | Release Date: August 5, 2016
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 89 Ratings
Watch Now
CriticFerAug 5, 2016
I like it. Is a beautiful movie and a good adaptation with decent characters, a fantastic animation, an amazing voice cast, and a good message. This is absolute recommend for those who read the book.
JacobnormanAug 6, 2016
Within the first 10 minutes I was hooked. I decided to watch the film for its interesting story, art style, and animation quality. It is hard to find many CG movies that have as much heart and art direction as the popular Pixar hits, but thisWithin the first 10 minutes I was hooked. I decided to watch the film for its interesting story, art style, and animation quality. It is hard to find many CG movies that have as much heart and art direction as the popular Pixar hits, but this film goes to places I have never seen done before. The Little Prince smoothly combines CG with Claymation under great cinematic direction. I will admit, I cried three times during this film, not because its blatantly sad, it's actually very joyful, but because of how its many messages really hit home. This film is great for any age and I highly suggest it! Expand
JacobAug 5, 2016
The Little Prince is charming. While the message is a tad heavy handed and the story might’ve been stronger had it just been about the prince what is presented here is commendable from the message present to the way it is explained to theThe Little Prince is charming. While the message is a tad heavy handed and the story might’ve been stronger had it just been about the prince what is presented here is commendable from the message present to the way it is explained to the wonderful characters and arcs brought to life by voice talent that slips right in. All the while featuring some excellent use of computer animation and stop motion. Definitely worth checking out for animation fans and film boths. Hopefully, the Netflix release doesn’t prevent it from getting an Oscar nomination. Expand
kman5473Jan 25, 2017
An elegant children's film, and perhaps the best animated film that has yet been produced. It's themes, some may argue, are too mature for a child. Yet, how the story is told makes it so appropriate and respectful to discuss with all ages.An elegant children's film, and perhaps the best animated film that has yet been produced. It's themes, some may argue, are too mature for a child. Yet, how the story is told makes it so appropriate and respectful to discuss with all ages. This film being produced not only restores my faith in filmmaking, but in humanity itself. There are few films that so elegantly and subtly evoke emotions as this one does. Plus the animation is something truly to behold, backed by an incredible soundtrack to boot. Expand
SomePersonaFeb 8, 2017
The obvious problem with this movie is that it is about reactions to the story of the Little Prince rather than the story itself. It's also a little too literal and even a bit cringy at times. It still has nice animation and voice acting,The obvious problem with this movie is that it is about reactions to the story of the Little Prince rather than the story itself. It's also a little too literal and even a bit cringy at times. It still has nice animation and voice acting, though, as well as a good enough story. The ending is great, too. Expand
HealingToolbox1Aug 8, 2016
Pretty amazing. I reserve "10" for movies that are both competent on multiple levels AND contain acknowledgement of the spiritual, aspirational part of human beings. This film meets my criteria for a 10.

I do agree with the review saying

I do agree with the review saying the film is more a tribute to the book and to those who have loved the book, than a movie OF the book. I also agree if Pixar had made it, it could have been more and unnecessarily sachcarin.

What viewers and critics do well to remember is, how would you fill 90 minutes with a story as slight and familiar as Little Prince? Another property presenting a thankless writerly task.

The solution here is to gradually seque into a complete fantasy of the litle girl meeting the grown up Little Prince. This fills the time, allows for action in the third act and--very unusually for ANY script in the last ten years I'm ware of--creates space for moment of authentic poignancy, longing, loss and wonder. That the third act is going to sacrifice logical consistency for stronger feelings than most plot-driven third acts allow, is foreshadowed and I think a risk taken boldly and done as well as can be imagined.

I thought the character animation in the hospital visit scene went beyond Pixar. Kudos to all. Voices are indeed wonderful; Ricky Gervais and Jeff Bridges stand out to me.
jacob4Aug 6, 2016
A wonderful and beautifully animated film! The Little Prince is a great story of friendship and fantasy, imagination and adventure. The film has a memorable and all-star voice cast, and wonderful eye candy animation. A classic interpretationA wonderful and beautifully animated film! The Little Prince is a great story of friendship and fantasy, imagination and adventure. The film has a memorable and all-star voice cast, and wonderful eye candy animation. A classic interpretation of a classic children's book. A must see and enjoyable film for both adults and children alike! Expand
ColginatorAug 9, 2016
Proving that Disney doesn't have a monopoly on adapting classic stories with whimsy and wonder, Mark Osborne has successfully brought 'The Little Prince' to life through a beautiful mixture of computer generated and stop motion animation.Proving that Disney doesn't have a monopoly on adapting classic stories with whimsy and wonder, Mark Osborne has successfully brought 'The Little Prince' to life through a beautiful mixture of computer generated and stop motion animation. It's already an instant classic, with a thought provoking, multi-layered story and some visually stunning animation.

We start off the film in a CGI world where a Little Girl (Mackenzie Foy) has just moved houses so that she can be within correct district to attend a prestigious school. This is all part of her Mother's (Rachel McAdams) life plan to turn her in to "a wonderful grown up". This life plan includes planning out literally her entire life, giving her daughter clear instructions of what she should be doing down to every hour, including a summer break that includes nothing but revising from text books.

But all this changes when her old, eccentric neighbour, The Aviator (Jeff Bridges) enters her life and begins to tell her the story of The Little Prince (Riley Osborne). Thus we are introduced to a stop motion animated world, telling a tale of how the Little Prince fell in love with a Rose (Marion Cotillard) and then travelled across the stars meeting many strange characters, including the Businessman who seeks to own ever star (Albert Brooks), the conceited man who believes all should admire him (Ricky Gervais) and the Fox (James Franco) who the Prince seeks to tame.

Much is added to the original novella, but director Mark Osborne ensures that the film never strays too far from the original novellas tone or themes. Instead the messages of the novella, such as needing to explore in order to learn and grow as a person, are given an entire new layer through the girls interactions with the Aviator. On top of this every voice performance (which includes the directors own son playing the Little Prince) seems perfectly cast. This includes a great performance from Jeff Bridges who is able to balance both the eccentric and heartfelt side of the Aviator.

Both of the animation styles complement each other very well. In the CGI world there's a lot of emphasis on the blandness of what growing up can be like with grey colours and the lack of any uniqueness or identity. The houses in the neighbourhood are so similar that the mother even drives past her own home since you can't tell them apart. In contrast the stop motion style is so full of life and colour. It's as if the pages are literally coming to life with the stop motion focusing on details like shadows and the crinkled paper look for each of the characters.

The film does falter a little within its third act that favours trading out its focus on its characters and story, instead having the girl travelling on an exciting adventure across the stars to save the Little Prince. It never detracts from either the messages of the film or of the original book and it's still an entertaining third act. But it does depart from the rest of the films unique and subtle beauty, in favour of an action sequence that feels out of tone to the rest of the film. Although this is only a slight misstep as the films finale is emotional and leaves a deep impact that is bound to resonate with viewers of any age.
moviemitch96Aug 9, 2016
An absolutely beautiful and charming film, and easily the best animated film of the year so far! It's been so long since I read the book this is based on, so admittedly I've forgotten most of what happens in it. Therefore, I can't reallyAn absolutely beautiful and charming film, and easily the best animated film of the year so far! It's been so long since I read the book this is based on, so admittedly I've forgotten most of what happens in it. Therefore, I can't really compare the two together in this review. However, with what little bits I saw in this film that I do remember from the book, it's all very imaginatively brought to life! Much of the animation was hand-drawn and it was certainly a visual and artistic treat to behold! As for the voice cast, each of the actors and their respective characters all felt appropriately paired. Lastly and most importantly, the film carried a heartwarming and universal message and theme that hit really close to home with me that touched my heart and had my eyes watering towards the end. Overall, this is an absolute must-see for everyone who has Netflix, as it's sadly only a Netflix original but truly deserves to be seen much wider! This may just be the best animated film I end up seeing all year, as I find it highly improbable that any other can come close to topping this one for me (yes I don't care how funny Sausage Party ends up being!) Expand
NerdConsultantAug 22, 2016
This is a French animated film developed by Netflix that unfortunately has not received a theatrical release over here yet, so if you want to see this you will have to have a Netflix account. I mainly watched this because a lot of the sitesThis is a French animated film developed by Netflix that unfortunately has not received a theatrical release over here yet, so if you want to see this you will have to have a Netflix account. I mainly watched this because a lot of the sites are predicting which way the Oscars will go suggests that this film will receive an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature, and I wouldn’t be upset if it did. I actually think so far, this has been the best film of August because it was a really nice, charming movie. It has a lovely blend of really good computer generated 3D and beautiful stop motion animation. Honestly this is like a really lovely blend of Pixar, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Studio Ghibli. The cast are terrific, the English dub cast are terrific too and I kind of liked the message of the film even if it is hammered in a bit too much. Also I think the film is a little too long. There are 40 minutes added on that could easily have been done in 20 and feels like a completely different film and I would be lying if I said that didn’t bother me. As family films go I really recommend it if you have a Netflix account. It’s worth a watch. Expand
MordoReviewerAug 5, 2016
I love this movie, i really do.
Even if the part of the little girl and the aviator are just ok, i find this movie really joyful and entertaining.
I love this movie, i really do.
It´s all like the book? No, but it doesn't lose the message that the original book tried to deliver.
If you are a fan of the book, you might find this movie just Ok. But for me, it´s goes on one of my favourites.
TyranianApr 10, 2020
Definitely one of the better animations of recent years with some wonderful visuals even if the story is sometimes too obscure.
LeZeeMay 16, 2017
Growing up is not the problem. Forgetting is.

Growing up is not the problem. Forgetting is.

I usually love the French animations, because unlike American, the stories, musics, characters that influences the thousands of year cultural history. Definitely not comparable to the Hollywood standards, but it had its own technical brilliance. All I wondered was why this film was in English language.

It deserves to be on the upcoming's big occasion (2016 February), if it is eligible for the American Academy Awards. From the director of 'Kung Fu Panda' original movie, which was partially based on the children's novel. The book adaptation is the stop-motion animation and the remaining story's the regular 3D animation.

Just remember the movies like 'What Dreams May Come' and 'The Lovely Bones', those magical worlds and breathtaking landscapes. Usually animations are associated with comedy genre, especially when a child character attached to it. This film was not even a comedy, more like those two titles I mentioned.

The screenplay wise it was a very 'Neverwas' type, except this one was an animation. But appropriate for people of all ages. The kids can realise the importance of their childhood and the older people can become kids again. The film compressed the gap and erected a bridge between the two hoods, the childhood and the adulthood.

"What is essential is invisible to the eye."

I did not know what to expect from it, but I highly satisfied with the final product. The film characters had no names, but called, the Little Girl, Mother, Fox, Rose, Snake, King et cetera as what their role is and species. Barely there are only 3-4 characters where the story was focused. Obviously it had a villain, but very unusual existence time and in a crucial part of the story.

I don't remember how the 100 minutes went so fast like a ray of the light beam flashed away. The pace of narration was not a rushy, except the opening part. But once the old man character, the Aviator, voiced by Jeff Bridge was introduced, the movie turned into completely different and awesome. Yes, Jeff Bridge's voice was so good for the background narration.

This story is about an old man who refused to grow up mentally and believes the existence of the magical stars and planets. The whole neighborhood stayed away from him and his troubles, until a new girl arrives at the next door. The little girl befriends him and falls for all his stories discarding her daily routines, but later it complicates their relationship after her mother finds out what they're up to. What happens to them and how the story concludes is the remaining part.

"She was not a common rose.
She was the only one of her kind in the whole universe."

This story was finely fused between the reality and fantasy. Most essential storyline for the present world. In the name of education how the children were enforced by their parents to mechanical life with less time to play out and make their own friends. Especially as they were lacking the creativity to make up their own fictional worlds with their toys like the kids from a century ago were.

It might psychologically affect their characters while becoming an adult like the Aviator in this film, but as one of lines from the movie say 'Growing up is not the problem. Forgetting is', the children are losing their innocence over the adult's reality world. Who knows, someday those kids may become the greatest writer inspired by their childhood days.

If you ask me, I strongly recommend it for all. It is very encouraging film for the parents how not to raise their children and for the grown ups how not to get lost is the adult world. Most elegant flick of the year, along with a very few others.

You don't have to ignore it because you have read the book, like I said it was not completely borrowed from the original material. Instead, two-third of the film was freshly established out of the same name masterpiece. I'm not familiar with the book, so I've no thoughts that differentiate between these two formats. But definitely the film deserved all the appreciation from critics and movie 9.5/10
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
I've never heard of this movie before when it was released in 2015 in France. But I have to say I'm very happy I watch it. The animation is stellar. The voice acting is very good with a fantastic cast. The story was absolutely sensational andI've never heard of this movie before when it was released in 2015 in France. But I have to say I'm very happy I watch it. The animation is stellar. The voice acting is very good with a fantastic cast. The story was absolutely sensational and can make you cry very easy. It's incredibly Hard to see how anyone could really dislike the movie. This is definitely one of my front runners for movie of the year Expand
IdoshanyAug 1, 2018
Great movie based on one of my favorite books ever. characters are interesting and likable(Less the Mom) Plot not bad at all, and Touching continuation for this Great book made this a Great movie for me.
LivingTribunalJul 11, 2020
Every line is a universal quote. If I have to choose a movie that represents my life, I would choose this. I want the world to watch this movie and I want them to "forget" who they are.
MK26Sep 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ Expand
Dostoyevsky3Jun 25, 2020
The Little Prince provides us with a thematically meaningful and visually satisfying story filled with marvelously crafted messages benefited by sensational spirit.