Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: October 2, 2015
Generally favorable reviews based on 1779 Ratings
1,518
Watch Now
AlbannachDec 20, 2015
I genuinely don't understand why this clichéd garbage is getting such high reviews! I thought it was awful!! Slow, boring and ridiculously implausible! One of the worst movies I’ve seen this year!

Apparently being stranded on Mars is like

Apparently being stranded on Mars is like taking a weekend away: you plant your potatoes, make lovely dinners with your plentiful supply of food, make a little video diary, or go for drives in your perfectly-functioning little buggy - all the while cracking jokes and listening to Disco tunes! It was like watching Nigella meets Big Brother mixed with some terrible one-man comedy routine! And as for the comedian, Matt Damon, himself: no charisma, smug, and not the slightest bit likeable; I was hoping he’d suffocate from lack of oxygen almost right from the beginning!

Over-hyped drivel, and a disturbing testament to either how different taste can be, or to how little it takes to impress people these days - or how easily-pleased and dumb they are!
sg8t8Nov 14, 2015
The fact that this film received so many good reviews has made me lose my respect for humanity. It seems North American culture has been seriously dumbed-down, now lacking any measure of critical thought. This film was mediocre at best. Yes,The fact that this film received so many good reviews has made me lose my respect for humanity. It seems North American culture has been seriously dumbed-down, now lacking any measure of critical thought. This film was mediocre at best. Yes, the Mars landscape was nicely done; but visual effects alone don't make a decent movie - the effects of Gravity were much better, in my opinion. A good film requires a good story, plot, dialogue, suspense, acting, etc. The Martian was so predictable it was boring. Damon's acting was adequate but forgetable. I felt nothing for any of the characters, and couldn't care what happened to them as the film ignored any potential psychological and emotional aspects of the story. Most of the characters acted like frat boys, not like professionals you'd expect in these roles. Damon's "kiss my ass Neil Armstrong" and other painful and foul-mouthed quips seem to appeal to a "now generation" too wrapped up in themselves to respect and honor past achievements - a professional astronaut certainly wouldn't act like that. And the disco music score was odd, jarring, like a drunk uncle karaoke-ing at a wedding. If this film was meant to be drama/comedy/sci-fi it fell flat on all accounts, appealing to the lowest common denominator. In my opinion, this is typical Hollywood capitalist crap, enabled by a well-bribed mass media, out to rip off people for profit (why can't I get a refund?), completely lacking in substance, made for dumb people who haven't picked up a book in their lives. And the positive reviews on here and elsewhere reveal a serious decline in taste. Has everyone become pigs satisfied with slop? Expand
SirEddieCookOct 18, 2015
Ridley Scott goes retrograde. Nearly all of his films have been ahead of its time, even historical titles(Duelists, 1492, Gladiator) had a modern style of its day. The Martian is more of a 90s popular film, propaganda for the Obama WorldRidley Scott goes retrograde. Nearly all of his films have been ahead of its time, even historical titles(Duelists, 1492, Gladiator) had a modern style of its day. The Martian is more of a 90s popular film, propaganda for the Obama World view: Americans/Germans are led by a female captain to Mars, they leave the wise-cracking botanist who "Sciences the **** out of It" at every turn. Even the Communist Chinese in Beijing decide to save the day, while the Russians are nixed from any sort of existence. Ironic, considering NASA rides their rockets to space these days. Every single choice is politically slanted, and Ridley Scott returns to his TV Commercial roots. What is he selling? The film has no spiritual backbone, no depth, no real surprises and it recycles shots and models from Avatar and other films. It's a really ****ty movie, with a decent final 10 minutes. It's anti-introspective like Gravity, anti-curious like Interstellar, and sinkhole compared to 80s films like 2010 - when that was considered mediocre in 1984. Expand
ek23Jan 17, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not going to go into details because there's some really good reviews here but as others have said....movie is incredibly predictable. There was a point I actually fell a sleep at the 3D (almost no 3D scenes) movie theater because it was so boring. When it finished, my wife asked if I knew what was going on and I said yes, I knew from the first 10 minutes that everything would turn out just perfect. Expand
joekazJan 26, 2016
After vocally rolling my eyes during many of the scenes in this movie - mainly toward the end, my wife said this to me: "Why are you okay with Michael Keaton having superpowers in "Birdman" - but you won't suspend your disbelief for MattAfter vocally rolling my eyes during many of the scenes in this movie - mainly toward the end, my wife said this to me: "Why are you okay with Michael Keaton having superpowers in "Birdman" - but you won't suspend your disbelief for Matt Damon having an easier time putting a tarp on a rocket more quickly than you can assemble a Lack table from IKEA?"
My answer sums up the difference. It sums up why "The Martian" is nowhere close to "Birdman." I said, "I don't mind when a filmmaker winks at the audience. Riggan was a down, almost out man, who needed all the help he could get. We (the audience) are in on it. None of the other characters in the movie are." In "The Martian," it seems as though all the characters were winking at each other, making the joke on us. Crowds of people gathering in Times Square to watch CNN (don't they have flat screens at home?) is an insult to the audience. I give "The Martian" a few points for being watchable and original - and it's a shame that there were so many moments where my intelligence was insulted. Moreover, with a few tweaks and edits, "The Martian" could have avoided these unnecessary scenes.
JumpbrickDec 31, 2015
I've never found myself disagreeing with the popular opinion so greatly - but this mess of a movie was really quite bad.

To begin with this movie is tonally incoherent. I was unsure if it was trying to be a serious Sci-Fi movie or a comedy. It has a promising set-up of potentially being Cast Away in space but I never felt the drama of the situation. This is probably because the majority of the drama is being told - not shown and its done uninterestingly by Matt Damon. The cast would seem better fit for an SNL movie - but here the comedy is groan-worthy. Also - this movie has very odd product placement. At one point Matt Damon whips out a bottle of Heinz Ketchup circa 2015 with no explanation why they would leave him with no food but some how be able to have Heinz on board.

This movie was off the mark in almost every category but it's worst offence was taking an interesting premise and cheapening by having it described through needless narration. They either thought the demographic was too stupid to understand what was going on - or they wanted to save money by not filming the action.

TL;DR don't watch this unless you want to see how a movie with a good premise can be rendered utterly mediocre
subseqDec 5, 2015
Just now, finally saw this film. Everyone said it was great. Ahem. When will Hollywood overcome its obsession with rehashing the same old predictable dreck convinced all it has to do is smother it all with the newest fanciest CGI? This wasJust now, finally saw this film. Everyone said it was great. Ahem. When will Hollywood overcome its obsession with rehashing the same old predictable dreck convinced all it has to do is smother it all with the newest fanciest CGI? This was Gravity-slash-Apollo 13-slash-Cast Away. Nothing more. It gets as high as a "2" score because Ridley Scott's brisk direction made it interesting at times, but then, in that sense it was also a little bit of Alien. I mean, what the mmph were they all doing out there at the beginning of the film getting the Matt Damon character almost killed? That was just too stupid right outta the gate -- I mean, the storm is so ferocious that they have to abort everything and lift off, yet there they are outside the ship traipsing about doing something God-knows-what. Derrr. Sorry, but this stuff just drives me crazy. Expand
StevenDDec 29, 2015
It is boring and obtuse, the fact that the main character seems to always have something new to do provides for a jarring experience. It seems like he gets his requirements out of thin air. The many throwbacks to the book serve only toIt is boring and obtuse, the fact that the main character seems to always have something new to do provides for a jarring experience. It seems like he gets his requirements out of thin air. The many throwbacks to the book serve only to confuse things further since there was no set up for any of them.

tl;dr If you've read the book, the only reason to watch the movie is so you can post your own dissapointed review online
movie_regularOct 16, 2015
Poor movie.. Really poor. hard to believe it is a Ridley scott movie. You never feel anything at all. All you do is sit dully in the theater and endure the horrible jokes thrown by characters with intellect of 10 year old boy (I am notPoor movie.. Really poor. hard to believe it is a Ridley scott movie. You never feel anything at all. All you do is sit dully in the theater and endure the horrible jokes thrown by characters with intellect of 10 year old boy (I am not talking about science, they know some science, but don't have a clue about human behaviour). Expand
shellyleitOct 29, 2015
Most of the good scenes were in the trailer... nothing really surprising. The ending was just OK and very abrupt. The worst and most intolerable part was the disco music throughout, that was just so horrible and inexplicable. It ruined theMost of the good scenes were in the trailer... nothing really surprising. The ending was just OK and very abrupt. The worst and most intolerable part was the disco music throughout, that was just so horrible and inexplicable. It ruined the movie for me. It made no sense at all. This was not a science fiction movie either. It was near present-day (or maybe an alternate past, if you factor in the music.) and NASA can already do everything in the movie so it was barely even speculative fiction. Very disappointing to pay a lot to see this in a theater and then you get Mars with Disco. Just watch NASA TV, it's more interesting. Expand
SwittersOct 11, 2015
This movie was cheesy, force-fed-feel-good, self indulgent, and boring. I don't understand why it got such good reviews. It probably deserves a slightly higher rating, but I need to offset to ridiculous 10 ratings.
SkulbOct 27, 2015
Never reading reviews of movies I still knew two things about twenty minutes into this insult: 1: it would be overhyped by the bandwagon-people and 2: I would have to tear it apart on Metacritic when I got home. And I was right! Maybe I´m aNever reading reviews of movies I still knew two things about twenty minutes into this insult: 1: it would be overhyped by the bandwagon-people and 2: I would have to tear it apart on Metacritic when I got home. And I was right! Maybe I´m a psychic.
Comparisons to Gravity are apt. Not because Gravity is a good movie but because, like Gravity, the Martian has some promise in the first half of the movie before taking a huge dump all over it later on. In both movies I was semi-aggressively rooting for everyone to be blown up and die.
So to the plot we go! Or should I say "the plot".
Astronaut Mark Watney, insufferable, smug wisecrack botanist, gets abandoned on Mars in unrealistic fashion. Already here the plot holes fasten their iron grip on the movie. Rather than anchoring the launch vehicle BEFORE a dust storm hits, which is what any sane person on Mars would do, this suddenly occurs to a particularly alert crew member right in the middle of a giant storm. And by then it is conveniently too late. I can already hear the horn music playing over the American flags here....
As ridiculous as all this is at least we now have Matt Damon stranded on a deserted planet all by his lonesomes. Parade floats for everyone! But even this semi-promising concept is then destroyed in short order. Instead of using this opportunity to explore loneliness and desperation in the film medium, Ridley "the Fraud" Scott has him constantly talking to a video log. And not only is he talking to a video log the entire movie but he is doing a poor stand up comedy routine while making never ending Roger Ramjet inspirational talks to himself. A movie about a man stranded in outer space manages to talk you to death; there should be an Oscar for this alone.
So nonsense nonsense nonsense later and the returning crew who abandoned the comedian on Mars "heroically" decide to make an ad hoc return to Mars to save him. As soon as this happened you knew that nobody would be dying during this insane endeavour because that would make it pointless to return to save one person. Either they all survive and horn music or they all die and violins. And this is Hollywood. They are all going to survive and horn music and we all know it. And what do you know, reclusive geniuses hiding in corners at NASA, blowing up the ship to slow it down and poking holes in a spacesuit to fly through space later and there´s paper throwing at Johnson Space Center, horn music and a farewell inspirational from Roger Ramjet back home on earth and USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!
This movie has nothing to elevate it above the Hollywood bilge we keep being flooded with and demonstrates very clearly why American cinema is a dead concept. Hollywood is nothing more than a sh*tpipe, endlessly flooding the world with intellectual poison, and the Martian is a textbook example of it. Awash in political correctness and propaganda it is now apparently impossible for Americans to produce science fiction movies, or any other movies for that matter, of even decent quality. Or in this case pseudo science realism movies, which is even worse. Iranian cinema is now vastly better than American cinema. Have a think about that for a second if you will.
In 1974 John Carpenter made the movie Dark Star. The space monster in this movie was literally a beach ball with hair and feet glued to it. Dark Star is a superb movie compared to the Martian and if you still haven´t been tricked by all the ridiculous hype over this move, go watch Dark Star instead. That´s how bad this is here.

I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!! This would have been a ten times better movie if everyone had died in space. But it´s Hollywood and it´s for degenerate American audiences and you need to have bombs, stupidity and horn music save the world every time or they will all start crying. Ridley Bruckheimer is a giant fraud who should retire to one of his mansions and pack it up. He has not made a good movie since 1979. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
CrappymovieguyOct 22, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went to the movies and seen this the other day and I walked out thinking this is almost as bad as Mission to mars because every scene in it is ripped so badly from that movie, from the garden to the bit where the feminist commander is connected to a life line, but instead she is waiting to catch Matt Damon coming from mars in the middle of SPACE, Which is so unrealistic I cant wrap my head around it!
Matt damon (humanity) took a big shiit on Mars because they left him behind on Mars by himself and he couldnt help but start a Crappy potatoe garden out of all the shiit they left behind.
My teeth clenched so hard at the movies when ABBA started playing and Matt started sucking up to the women with that crappy song(And im not talking about the other suck up songs either).NASA sent a bunch of humans to plant spuds on Mars because you know thats all humans can plant right? Such a JOKE, From him almost freezing to death and radioacting his brain to stay warm, Then to sticky taping his Fragile Crappy helmet. Every women in NASA is attractive according to Ridley Scott, even the dumb ones sitting in the background have no purpose in the movie, They are just there for the feminists just like in Jurassic World. There is a brainwashing bit with the black techno guy and the smart attractive NASA blonde where he points at her and says, You are MARS, I think he said it to target the women who want to feel important so they keep watching the crappy movie and buy into stereotyping(Kinda like a control freak.) Your IQ will drop if you watch this movie...maybe Jimmy Kimmel was right to stand him up because you dont want to be stood up by Matt Demon I mean Damon like i was. 0/10 If there was a alien civilisation on MARS Matt Damon just took a crap on them so dont be suprised if we get invaded by Matt Damon Shiit demons from Dogma......
Mike5215Oct 20, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm going to offer a little bit of my own "space problem-solving" that would negate the entire premise of the movie: How about making your little rocket ship that the crew uses to escape in such a way that it's not at risk of being tipped over in a stiff wind? Seriously. They have to abandon poor Matt Damon because if they don't get a move on, their little rocket ship will get knocked over by a wind storm. You're welcome. Can I have three hours of my life back now? Expand
Capta1nCar1smaOct 10, 2015
I know a good deal of folks are ranting and raving about this film, but I for one am just not a fan of this movie. To be honest I am not a fan of Matt Damon to say the least and I actually feel he is a bit of a hack, but I am a huge fan ofI know a good deal of folks are ranting and raving about this film, but I for one am just not a fan of this movie. To be honest I am not a fan of Matt Damon to say the least and I actually feel he is a bit of a hack, but I am a huge fan of Ridley Scott, so much so that I even ardently defend his more negatively reviewed projects. All that being said, I simply can not say anything positive about The Martian. It was two and a half hours of pure boredom. Matt Damon is so unlikable that I literally was rooting against him the entire time.

Every five minutes the film stops to give some long, drawn out science explanation of what's going on and its absolutely yawn provoking. Two and a half hours of this movie formula is better than drinking a half bottle of Nightquil to help induce slumber. It was simply an unpleasant, boring, drawn out movie going experience to me.

Now maybe I am a little jaded due to my strong dislike for Matt Damon, or maybe it has to do with the guy wearing a Man bun who was constantly kicking the back of my seat, but I have to give this movie a big Thumbs down.
randomstupidMay 3, 2016
The Martian was like watching the cool kids show off an average science project that their parents had made.
Overall a disjointed and underwhelming movie. Acting across the board seemed wooden & plain - swap the humans for puppets & some of the scenes set on Mars were like a Thunderbirds episode.
The wacky humour(?) parts were forced & unfunny.
While the nerdy components were very interesting they felt crammed & at times unnecessary.
The movie jumped around & made limited sense in parts.
"You can bring anything you want to Mars but unfortunately we only have room for 5 disco mp3s".
Matt wouldn't have run out of tomato sauce (ketchup) if he hadn't of used a gallon on one meal the idiot.
Some of the cinematography was nice & CG landscapes were well done, but like an alien face-hugger The Martian forces itself way too much upon the viewer.
YoloSwag4DogeFeb 25, 2016
I was disappointed with this movie. Quite frankly I found it boring. There's minimalist dialogue, no character development and a rather generic plot. I couldn't connect with the characters and as a result didn't really care whether theI was disappointed with this movie. Quite frankly I found it boring. There's minimalist dialogue, no character development and a rather generic plot. I couldn't connect with the characters and as a result didn't really care whether the astronaut died or not. The production value is top notch, but the writing just didn't do it for me. Expand
carlosnseattleMar 15, 2016
Okay, I am also perplexed as to why people have given this terrible movie a favorable review. It seems like all we care about is a big name director and big star, then the movie has instant credibility. There was not one truly memorableOkay, I am also perplexed as to why people have given this terrible movie a favorable review. It seems like all we care about is a big name director and big star, then the movie has instant credibility. There was not one truly memorable moment in this movie. I cannot remember a single word, phrase, exchange of dialogue, or turn of event that left a lasting impression. The only positives were Matt Damon's likability and some decent special effects.

For one thing how can this premise be taken ass even remotely plausible? Does anyone think that we would send ship to Mars that is vulnerable to a naturally and regularly occurring storm on Mars? And who would design a ship that is docked so perilously? It was standing up like one of those red/white/blue popsicle rocket treats we used to get from the ice cream man as a kid. Or even more than that it looked like a ship from a 1950's era sci-fi movie. C'mon man, this is a new millennium. Make a ship that is supported as it would be supported on Mars. It should be shorter and more stable, not doomed to tip over like shown in the movie. That one scene lost me for the next 30 minutes.

Here are the other things I feel left me wanting with that movie.
1. When the storm struck I didn't know who was left behind. I knew it was the Matt Damon character but I didn't "know" him, meaning I had no emotional investment in that character.
2. He was a botanist, how convenient. His character didn't have to transform or change in any way in order to survive; he was the perfect guy to be left behind.
3. And just why were the potatoes going to run out??? They said you have 400 and something days, but never said why. Was it because there were other vital nutrients that would be lacking at that point?
4. If you give me 2 years to figure out how to solve a problem that means my survival, and there's nothing else to do but figure it out, I bet I'l find something too. The dates before his food was going to run out were so far out that I never felt a sense of urgency. You can call Mars "The Monster" but it wasn't pursuing the main character, just waiting for him to run out of food. How boring is that???
5. When was the last time we saw nobody but good guys in a movie? There was nobody to blame, no bad guys anywhere. That was just plain weak. A bad guys doesn't have to be a bad person, just a person who either has too much fear or fears the wrong thing, which causes him/her to make poor choices. Nobody served as a villain in any way. I know from playing sports and working in small and large companies that there's always a person who feels like the bad guy, even unintentionally. This movie, with it's little slice of heaven, was absurd to say the least.

For these reasons and other minor reasons I was totally disappointed. My wife liked it and I couldn't understand why. This was the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time. I really wanted to like ti but was terribly disappointed.
fantasyOct 8, 2015
I am a true lover of science fiction movies and was very much looking forward to seeing The Martian. Little did I realize that the trailer was the movie. Mars is depicted beautifully. Matt Damon is cracking jokes throughout his ordeal.I am a true lover of science fiction movies and was very much looking forward to seeing The Martian. Little did I realize that the trailer was the movie. Mars is depicted beautifully. Matt Damon is cracking jokes throughout his ordeal. Think back Tom Hanks with his volleyball friend Wilson as that is all he had to keep his sanity while he was stranded. On the other hand Matt Damon thinks of his situation like a huge video game in that he has to be smarter than the average bear. At no time does the audience not think that he isn't getting back home. There is no suspense; no sense of urgency; no sense of danger; and that is what takes the movie down. If you saw Sandra Bullock in the yawn of a movie Gravity where she talks to herself, the The Martian is the same, but this time with Matt Damon in a comedic role which belies all realty. By the 2nd hour you;re checking your watch asking when this will end. I'm sorry but when this hits free TV just like Gravity I would never give it a second look. Bring No Doze if you plan to attend. Expand
johnthorpOct 5, 2015
I think the word is "drivel." And I should qualify this claim: I swear I'm not a snob, or a snark. I love science fiction, and love being at the theater, and consider myself easy enough to please. I'm not a film-scholar, though I do see a lotI think the word is "drivel." And I should qualify this claim: I swear I'm not a snob, or a snark. I love science fiction, and love being at the theater, and consider myself easy enough to please. I'm not a film-scholar, though I do see a lot of movies, and am reasonably aware of film history, genre conventions etc. So, despite some gripes, Gravity (5 score) was watchable in theaters. And despite some gripes, Interstellar (6 score) was watchable in theaters. Which is all I can ask for, and all a block-buster can aim to do. Hold my attention, *or* show me pretty pictures (it doesn't have to be all both), and I'll gladly walk away, less $14.50. You don't even have to stir my heart, or make me think to get my money! This should be so easy, right?

Wrong. I have two major problems that make The Martian if not un-watchable, certainly not re-watchable, and certainly not worth $14.50 (Gravity and Interstellar I would also consider not re-watchable, but worth $14.50). These gripes (like any) assume that you're like me: an *adult* who sees movies and doesn't appreciate being condescended by studios pushing plush toys made out of hobbits, vampires, GI Joes, barbies, yodas and Will Ferrell. But sill, an adult that (I hope) isn't a douche or "aficionado" for dismissing the last fifteen years of mega-frachises (OK, fine, Avatar was way fun, I said it).

1). Regarding the look: I have no idea how they messed this up, but it's not particularly pretty. And I'm sentimental for deserts! And I think Mars is so cool! You had me! There just isn't enough Mars in The Martian. The quips are OK, the scientific accuracy is fine (though I honestly don't care one way or the other; I like both versions of sci-fi), the acting is fine, music I don't remember so it must have been fine. Just not nearly enough Mars in a movie with Matt Damon, co-starring, well, Mars.

2). Regarding the much acclaimed story: I'm pretty sure Castaway was plotted better, both in the pace, and in outcome. Again, despite some gripes, Castaway dealt very well with the survivor's mental state and desperation, and the very real struggles with personal and cultural re-acclimation upon his return. The Martian is a story for children with no complex character themes. As a result, there was (for me) no real draw or suspense. The secondary crisis (after "Will he get out alive?" which is also not very compelling) is about how his crew might feel if they found out they left him behind, if NASA is morally obligated to tell them, and, if they do feel obligated, when they should tell them. These questions motivate all of the non-Martian-surface drama, and it's boring. I love the idea of crowd sourcing a novel, getting your facts right, and nerding out on the scientific accuracy, but this is a bad plot.

Bottom line: The Martian isn't pretty enough to compensate for a lackluster story.
jagxjr15Oct 8, 2015
This is typical Hollywood boilerplate. The characters are mostly stereotypes, not real people. And the bloated thing is overlong to boot. This is 'science' for people who have never done science or engineering; it just doesn't feel real. IThis is typical Hollywood boilerplate. The characters are mostly stereotypes, not real people. And the bloated thing is overlong to boot. This is 'science' for people who have never done science or engineering; it just doesn't feel real. I was bored: everything is so predictable, and the soundtrack regularly beats you over the head with what you are supposed to feel and how you are supposed to react. Cheering crowds inside and outside of NASA and cutesy repartee between the 'brilliant' astronauts is so predictable in any 'space' movie by now...do we really need another? This kind of artificial 'interaction' is not the way real people talk to each other, no matter how 'important' their work is or how 'smart' they are. And the politically correct 'diversity' lesson has been done to death already too. This is for the kids only; adults will find little to take away from this overlong cliché-ridden dope opera. Expand
whitfieldtroupOct 21, 2015
Such a lame movie. Are we really supposed to swallow all the PC nonsense. And if so, who benefits? Wasn't the intention behind spending so much money on the movie to make it believable? Realistic? The entire mission saved by an apparentlySuch a lame movie. Are we really supposed to swallow all the PC nonsense. And if so, who benefits? Wasn't the intention behind spending so much money on the movie to make it believable? Realistic? The entire mission saved by an apparently brain-damaged young black man? The final word on everything given by yet another black man? The mission commander and "hero" of the film: a woman? Just like real life at NASA, right? Expand
BluebirdOct 9, 2015
This movie has an embarrassingly awful script featuring hokey dialogue. The film is filled with cliche characters such as the stoic man in charge, the wacky crew member, the brave commanding officer and the crazy but highly competentThis movie has an embarrassingly awful script featuring hokey dialogue. The film is filled with cliche characters such as the stoic man in charge, the wacky crew member, the brave commanding officer and the crazy but highly competent scientist. The acting is cardboard and there is a montage featuring Matt Damon farming that goes on forever and is akin to watching paint dry. Expand
siveZOct 10, 2015
So much hype, yet so weak movie. Haven't read the book, so I'm purely discussing the movie. It's bad: acting, scenario, realism, everythin's bad, except the picture (cuz it was made for a lot of money), but it doesn't count - you can hardlySo much hype, yet so weak movie. Haven't read the book, so I'm purely discussing the movie. It's bad: acting, scenario, realism, everythin's bad, except the picture (cuz it was made for a lot of money), but it doesn't count - you can hardly find a bad looking movie nowadays.
Acting - Mark has been left on Mars alone for *a lot of* days and had to survive on himself, yet he is so cold-blooded and resilient, outraging or panicking only once for the whole movie.
Scenario - very predictable, it became boring and just waiting for the moie to end in an hour, absolutely no drama and thrill.
Realism - couldn't make a point on it myself, so I had to use scientific articles discussing the movie, TL;DR semi-true at best.
ThejaywhipOct 9, 2015
One of the most generic and boring movies I have seen in a long time. This is horribly overrated. It was highly predictable. I wish I could get my money back!
TheDavoJan 2, 2016
Easily the DUMBEST movie I have watched in decades. The "science" on this one is PREPOSTEROUS and should make anyone associated with the movie ashamed. I realize that the audience for this kind of drivel is NOT very bright but CMON.
brethillierOct 8, 2015
I was very much looking forward to this movie but it disappointed on almost every level. Visually it wasn't bad but that only satisfies for only so long. The character interactions were very predictable and for want of a better word 'cheesy'.I was very much looking forward to this movie but it disappointed on almost every level. Visually it wasn't bad but that only satisfies for only so long. The character interactions were very predictable and for want of a better word 'cheesy'. No real substance as it really did feel like everyone as just acting their part. It didn't feel believable.This is no classic do not believe the hype. Expand
bouchejOct 12, 2015
Poor casting, too much humour and far too predictable. If you like Interstellar i would imagine you will hate this and vice versa. This is perfect for kids or for people with the intelligence of one.
aikman2irvinOct 5, 2015
I thought this would be a good movie and it wasn't. Diversity and inclusiveness is made very clear from the beginning. Start with a female commander among other liberal heroes such as a Hispanic crew member, Indian middle manager at NASA,I thought this would be a good movie and it wasn't. Diversity and inclusiveness is made very clear from the beginning. Start with a female commander among other liberal heroes such as a Hispanic crew member, Indian middle manager at NASA, Chinese team leader at JPL, and perhaps most annoying a black techie-nerd at JPL who happens to know everything about space and nothing about respect and protocol when addressing the white male NASA Administrator. This movie is dripping wet with political correctness so extreme that if it wasn't for my wife being with me I would have walked out of the theater after 15 minutes.

This movie gets boring fast.
ratemoviesApr 8, 2016
Absolutely a disaster. Sucked so bad. Please, do yourself a favor and never watch this movie, your eyes and ears will thank you later. Completely unrealistic, no backstory or any details about any of the characters, pretty bad animation, andAbsolutely a disaster. Sucked so bad. Please, do yourself a favor and never watch this movie, your eyes and ears will thank you later. Completely unrealistic, no backstory or any details about any of the characters, pretty bad animation, and dramatic music is about the only thing you will find if you watch this movie. Not to mention corny jokes and multiple scenes of the main character driving in a rover with disco music playing in the background. Oh yeah, I'm stuck on Mars and will either starve to death or run out of oxygen, and of course the right thing to do is crack jokes and dance. Absolutely terrible. Totally overrated. Makes no sense at all. If your looking for a great space movie, choose Gravity or Interstellar. Expand
ChikatiloZJan 22, 2016
Not a bad movie, in fact, it's a great movie. However, I was expecting to see an alien attack, I was in the bathroom for a minute, my friends told me I didn't miss the alien attack, there simply wasn't one. I don't want to be too critical forNot a bad movie, in fact, it's a great movie. However, I was expecting to see an alien attack, I was in the bathroom for a minute, my friends told me I didn't miss the alien attack, there simply wasn't one. I don't want to be too critical for there not being an alien attack so I'm giving it a solid 1/10.

This place is like yelp!
DanilMay 28, 2019
Cringefest. The movie is essentially 5 minutes of story lost in a huge pile of SNL-style skits, Heinz ads and footage of cheering people. The worst part is how they took a dump on NASA employees and portrayed them as a bunch of cool kids.
LINUSSPACEHEADJan 26, 2016
OMG. I can't believe this movie received a nomination for best picture via the Oscars.
It seems like they just reused an old sci-fi script from the 70s, did a few minor tweaks and bought a gifted director to make this movie work for all the idiot critics and public who loved it.
Matt Damon will probably win best actor because he lost a significant percentage of weight for his role.
It seemed like the technology in the movie was actually a little dated. There seemed to be no creativity in what technology could or will be in perhaps 20 to 40 years from now.
It stunk.
DirpytheswagJan 16, 2016
It's not that I hated it, just such a poor execution for such an amazing book, would've been better as a standalone. Overall, not that bad just kind of disappointing.
Mag_711Apr 20, 2016
I am disappointed to see that the editors decided to include Mark Watney (Matt Damon) abusing prescription drugs. During a scene he crushed Vicodin and used it by putting his potato in it as a dipping sauce (like Ketchup) and commented thatI am disappointed to see that the editors decided to include Mark Watney (Matt Damon) abusing prescription drugs. During a scene he crushed Vicodin and used it by putting his potato in it as a dipping sauce (like Ketchup) and commented that he was doing it because he could. There is no reason for this scene to be in the movie. Matt Damon should be ashamed of putting it in the movie. The Producer should be ashamed of allowing it in his movie. Expand
PuntacristoAug 19, 2016
I had high expectations for this movie, regarding ''Gravity'', which was pretty good, and even ''Interstellar'', that was amusing and watchable (i acknowledge that the ending was little unconvincing ), ''The Martian'' has the worst sin thatI had high expectations for this movie, regarding ''Gravity'', which was pretty good, and even ''Interstellar'', that was amusing and watchable (i acknowledge that the ending was little unconvincing ), ''The Martian'' has the worst sin that movie can have in my eyes..it is not that it is bad, it is not good also - it is predictable and boring. I was waiting for something to happen, but it was going round and round in Astrodynamics curves which need to be met, applauding audiences on earth, heartbreaking crew members and families, and the Martian itself performing miracle after miracle. Characters have annoying habit of express and ultrafast dialogue responses of geniuses, like in a lot of movies today. So i gave up. The Botanist part of the movie was even good, but after that nothing. It's not about solitude itself, ''Castaway'' for example is much better movie. Maybe it needs some time for the overrated scores to deflate to something around 45%, or 5 out of 10, which is closer to reality. Expand