Warner Bros. | Release Date: May 26, 1956
Generally favorable reviews based on 44 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
TheEventsOf1989Jan 25, 2020
"The Searchers" has definitely not aged well. The story is extremely simple, they're are some strange plot holes that audiences seemed to gloss over. On top of that, the role of the Native Americans in the story is extremely unrealistic,"The Searchers" has definitely not aged well. The story is extremely simple, they're are some strange plot holes that audiences seemed to gloss over. On top of that, the role of the Native Americans in the story is extremely unrealistic, besides the fact that they are all played by white actors, perhaps excusable because of the times, there antagonistic forces are simply overly evil and hateful, and the are given no real depth. The visuals are gorgeous, and the landscape and set design is immaculate, but the story is hindered. Expand
ColebraxMar 3, 2021
Check out my podcast where we do the deep dive on the history behind John Ford's 'The Searchers': https://wrongreel.com/podcast/wr544-the-searchers-cynthia-ann-parker-and-the-comanche/
DawdlingPoetNov 25, 2021
I enjoyed this Western for the cinematography and some aspects of the plot, the somewhat strong women but it did feel perhaps a little bland at times. Its quite a shout-y film, so if that doesn't appeal then perhaps its best to give this aI enjoyed this Western for the cinematography and some aspects of the plot, the somewhat strong women but it did feel perhaps a little bland at times. Its quite a shout-y film, so if that doesn't appeal then perhaps its best to give this a miss. There are lots of scenes involving male characters fighting with one another, trying to prove each other the better one - that sort of thing. Of course im aware of the, how shall I put it?, non-PCness of such films and I did cringe at scenes where scalps were shown and the idea of the brutal savagery of supposed indians (native Americans) but I can also see that this film may be appreciated as an example of a classic American western too. There were one or two mildly amusing moments present too (such as one when a cowboy is bent over, having to get someone to pull sharp items out of his behind 'did that hurt?' 'no! shutup boy...' that sort of thing).

Its definitely cheesy but its not an awful film - its not great, its relatively good, I'd say. I think I enjoyed more than I disliked it, so I'd recommend it on that basis, yes.
AJ_13Jul 2, 2021
While having many strengths, its most remarkable aspects are the stunning landscapes and visuals and its interesting approach to racism.
imdbsupportFeb 11, 2021
You can read a lot into it, but it isn't very enjoyable. The lines are often awkward and the line readings worse, and the film is often static, despite economic, quick editing.