Oscilloscope Pictures | Release Date: August 28, 2015
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 115 Ratings
Watch Now
rodrigojunperAug 29, 2015
I really loved this movie! The two main actresses are wonderful, and really moving. It is at the same time a comedy and a social drama about a maid who has parental issues with her daughter. I hope it can make to the 2016 Oscars.
DudleiAug 28, 2015
No wonder the movie has received such positive reviews from public and critics, both in Sundance and Berlin. The movie is both masterful and delightful, with a well-written and heartfelt plot, that will appeal equally to the most demandingNo wonder the movie has received such positive reviews from public and critics, both in Sundance and Berlin. The movie is both masterful and delightful, with a well-written and heartfelt plot, that will appeal equally to the most demanding movie critic as well to the average moviegoer in search of a fun movie. The movie is not intended to be a comedy, but every scene feels so natural and true, that even the most ordinary act (such as eating ice-cream) will make the audience smile and even shed some tears. Expand
netflicSep 14, 2015
It is a drama about a live-in housekeeper that had to leave her own daughter and raise her employer’s son instead.
The woman did not stay with her daughter for her entire pre-adult life.
Then one day, she gets a call from her now eighteen
The woman did not stay with her daughter for her entire pre-adult life.
Then one day, she gets a call from her now eighteen year-old daughter. After years of refusing to talk to her mother, she had decided to come over to stay with her. This film is about family relations, the nature of motherhood and much more.
It is done masterfully, with humor and realism.
The acting is excellent, especially the protagonist.
This movie is in Portuguese, with English subtitles.
It's one of the best movies I have seen this year.
koothrappaliJan 17, 2016
Esse filme é uma peça muito importante para o cinema brasileiro. O roteiro, a direção, a filmagem, tudo nele funciona de uma forma esplêndida. Sobre a atuação da Regina Casé: nada mais que perfeita. Digna de Oscar, mas infelizmente a AcadêmiaEsse filme é uma peça muito importante para o cinema brasileiro. O roteiro, a direção, a filmagem, tudo nele funciona de uma forma esplêndida. Sobre a atuação da Regina Casé: nada mais que perfeita. Digna de Oscar, mas infelizmente a Acadêmia não permitiria tal prazer [por ser made in brazil]. Expand
Iky009Sep 16, 2015
The film is good and Regina Case impressive. .
danippSep 5, 2015
What a touching movie about equality, love and family. We have a mother who leaves her young daughter in order to get a better life in another city and ends up becoming the mother of another child. At the same time, we have a mother who wantsWhat a touching movie about equality, love and family. We have a mother who leaves her young daughter in order to get a better life in another city and ends up becoming the mother of another child. At the same time, we have a mother who wants to giver her son the best life possible but doesn't care enough to spend time with him. A few years later, the estranged daughter comes to visit and change everyone's lives. Very dramatic but with a delightful touch of humor by Casé, The Second Mother explores issues such as family and society. Should we put our jobs at first or our children? Are we giving enough love and attention to our family? Should we treat people according to their social status? This might be obvious for many people but most of all have already done something that we might criticize. Barbara misses attention from her son but she didn't give him any when he needed. Val created a boy that wasn't hers but left her biological one in her hometown. The film raises a very interesting discussion about these subjects and it's well worth watching it. Strong performances, especially by Casé, and a deep analysis about our lives. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 21, 2016
What this world of generation needed to learn is behind the facts this movie's giving out. You'll possibly enjoy it if movies like these are your taste and you're mainly in for watching.
LeZeeFeb 14, 2016
A close look at generation and professional gap.

A close look at generation and professional gap.

Have I really watched a South American movie! This is not a doubt over the culture or the language the movie was rendered, but the basic plot was universally appealing. Wherever from you are, this story will look very familiar, you know the master-servant theme with jealous, dominance and other differences between them which intrigued after some unexpected incident. Don't assume it is a revenge flick, but a closer look at the daily life of a servant.

It is a beautiful drama filled with some occasional dark humours. Frankly, I did not expect it to be this good after I heard it failed to make into the Academy Awards. Yep, this was Brasil's submission for the 2016's Oscars. A story of a live-in housemaid called Val. She opted this life to be apart from her daughter Jessica only to provide a better life for her. But things change, once Jessica decides to come and stay with her mother to apply for a college in Sao Paulo. That brings a complete chaos in the household due to the generation and the professional gap.

It was a casual opening, like Val was doing her daily routine. This was a very calm part, the story that introduced everything without complicating, especially keeping in mind the second half narration. The movie also digs every detail very closely, like how a maid behaves when her owner is not around, individual relationship with everyone in the house including the other maids and their personal desires.

"She looks at everything. Looks like the president."

Believe me, if you ever had one, probably you begin to think them now by remembering any strange incidents from the past like what might be the truth. It is not like accusing them for something, but you know, sometimes we forget we're the same other than a thin line between us called the social status. That's where this film hits you hard and makes you feel regret if you have ever done anything wrong without knowing.

It was not like any other similar movies I have seen. There was only a small deviation, that's what it makes a special. Also, it was not completely a realistic boring drama if you're wondering about the pace. It was a steady tempo, but had the sufficient entertaining content, often makes us to guess the next scene and besides it had a tiny twist at the end. It was not a strong ending as one could have wanted, but it's the best one after the story took a turn in the final act.

I don't know the cast or the crew, but the direction was top notch alongside the cast performances. Thankfully, it was not another sentimental drama with a struggling servant or the questionable relationship between a mother and her daughter. Very much within our perception like you know all this, but seeing it for the first time. The balance between everything was the best of it. Almost 80% of the movie were shot in a single location/house and a few outside clips as the story demanded.

The Oscars might have rejected it, because there's only five slot and they found better five to fill the spot, but that should not be the reason you to skip this heartwarming movie from the country that hosting the next Olympic games. I feel this film is this year's 'Ida', unlike a nun's self-discovery before taking oath to the god, here a maid realises her mistakes and not being a good mother to her daughter which leads her to fix it by not repeating it. A movie that should be watched with the family, inviting housekeeper for the watch might help bond well. So definitely recommended, a highly recommended movie for the weekend gathering.

AndremaxSep 13, 2018
Brazilian cinema has its value. Films like The Second Mother simply put some Hollywoodian movies on the shame. Rightly story's simplicity makes this film so incredible and charming. Story about "winning in life coming from a low situation" isBrazilian cinema has its value. Films like The Second Mother simply put some Hollywoodian movies on the shame. Rightly story's simplicity makes this film so incredible and charming. Story about "winning in life coming from a low situation" is known, but in this picture became above of all clichés at the same time that touches the public. One of some movie that makes Brazilian theater being worthwhile. Expand
wevertonaguiiarMay 22, 2018
"Estabelecendo-se como um filme que, como dizia Eric Rohmer, acaba funcionando também como um “documento de sua época”, Que Horas Ela Volta? é um estudo de personagem e, não menos importante, de um país em mudança. É uma obra que aponta a"Estabelecendo-se como um filme que, como dizia Eric Rohmer, acaba funcionando também como um “documento de sua época”, Que Horas Ela Volta? é um estudo de personagem e, não menos importante, de um país em mudança. É uma obra que aponta a contradição entre uma elite que se julga generosa e liberal, mas conversa em inglês diante dos subalternos quando não quer ser compreendida por estes. É um longa que sabe como é positivo que a filha da empregada não “saiba seu lugar”." Expand