CBS Films | Release Date: March 10, 2017
Mixed or average reviews based on 21 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
foxgroveApr 28, 2017
Thoroughly engrossing drama based on a good story by Julian Barnes has some top class British actors giving great characterisations. Jim Broadbent shakes off his usual predictable mannerisms and is actually very good here and the story keepsThoroughly engrossing drama based on a good story by Julian Barnes has some top class British actors giving great characterisations. Jim Broadbent shakes off his usual predictable mannerisms and is actually very good here and the story keeps you guessing right up to the poignant end. It's always good to see Charlotte Rampling on screen and the film also makes very good use of familiar London locations. A small gem of a film which is my favourite of the year so far. Expand
BHBarryMar 26, 2017
“The Sense of an Ending” is based on the prize winning novel written by Julian Barnes. Adapted for the screen by Nick Payne and directed by Ritesh Batra, the film boasts a stellar cast headed by Jim Broadbent, Helen Walter, Michelle Dockery,“The Sense of an Ending” is based on the prize winning novel written by Julian Barnes. Adapted for the screen by Nick Payne and directed by Ritesh Batra, the film boasts a stellar cast headed by Jim Broadbent, Helen Walter, Michelle Dockery, Emily Mortimer and Charlotte Rampling. Unfortunately, not even a star studded cast giving wonderful performances can save this film from the difficulty the audience experiences as it tries to follow this complicated story told in flashback and present day events. There are just too many characters attempting to go in and out of the lives of the others to make this film easy to comprehend as it weaves its way in and out of the decades it spans. Even the most difficult and lengthy films can be enjoyable to watch and to understand but this one is neither.
Recognizing the tremendous talent one sees on the screen it is difficult to give the film less than a 2 and ½ star rating although the reader should be warned that 2 or 3 cups of regular coffee might be needed to help his or her concentration process.
DawdlingPoetNov 23, 2021
This is a slow moving drama about grief, loss and self reflection. It includes references to suicide, so I thought I should point that out in terms of it being a trigger warning. Its quite nostalgic and somewhat thought provoking and JimThis is a slow moving drama about grief, loss and self reflection. It includes references to suicide, so I thought I should point that out in terms of it being a trigger warning. Its quite nostalgic and somewhat thought provoking and Jim Broadbent gives a particularly good performance as the main character, Tony Webster, who recalls his younger days and wonders what may have been. Its not especially maudlin (i.e. overly sentimental), which I appreciated as I'm not really a big fan of over the top sentimental type films, I have to say. This is a fairly understated film.

I found this a quite engrossing and thoughtful watch and would recommend it to others.