Twentieth Century Fox | Release Date: March 2, 1965
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 51 Ratings
Watch Now
r96skJan 6, 2021
Heard great things, got great things.

Heard great things, got great things.

I've said it before, but musicals aren't my favourite genre - I don't dislike them at all, but if I were to rank my favourite genres they would probably be down low. Therefore, I always feel uncertain before watching them, knowing they could go either way.

'The Sound of Music', though, is a delight. As alluded to, I have obviously heard countless positive things about this film down the years so I'm glad it didn't disappoint. Despite a potentially damaging 175 minute run time, it absolutely flew by - superb pacing. I will say the last 30-40 minutes do feel like a possibly unnecessary add-on, but it all still makes for entertaining viewing.

How about that soundtrack? So many songs that have seriously passed the test of time in terms of relevance, I had practically heard of them all before despite never setting eyes of the film until now. "My Favorite Things" is the standout in my opinion, but all the music is excellent.

Julie Andrews is terrific in the role of Maria, I will say early on I thought she might've been annoying given how excitable she is, but she quickly becomes great to watch throughout. Christopher Plummer is impressive, also. Those two are the clear stars of this, but all the other cast members do worthy jobs too.

It's, so I read, not completely true to the real life story of Maria von Trapp & Co. However, all I care about is whether it's an entertaining film - which this undoubtedly is. A must-watch!
Dostoyevsky3May 5, 2020
The Sound of Music is one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of cinema through its undeniably charming music and grand musical story brought to film in the best way to imagine.
FilipeNetoMar 17, 2020
A cultural icon.

A cultural icon.

This is probably one of the most iconic musical films of all time. It is not just a film, it is a reference for those who like cinema, it is a cultural landmark of indisputable value, which has been copied, parodied, praised, admired, satirized, repeated and remastigated over and over again in the cinema, in the theater, on TV, in advertising, in literature, on the radio ... It is the film that forever immortalized Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, two actors who made great cinematographic careers afterwards. The impact of this film on culture and cinematographic art is immense and difficult to calculate. It has become a huge box office and critical success, and is still regularly shown on TV, especially around Easter.

The story of the film, based on real events and a family that exists in real life, couldn't be sweeter and is known to most people, so I think it is very difficult to spoil here: a young novice is sent to a mansion in an Austrian aristocrat, a former naval officer from the First World War, as the tutor of his seven children. The cheerful and understanding way she presents conquers the little ones and ends up, in time, also conquering the rigid military, for whom discipline was fundamental. All of this happens, however, in the late Thirties, with Austria on the verge of annexation by the Third Reich. Captain Von Trapp's exacerbated nationalism will eventually conflict with the new order of things and motivate the family to flee.

The film is dominated by Julie Andrews. She is great in every way and does everything in an almost perfect way. Not to mention he has a beautiful voice and sings very well. Children are equally good and do everything very well, especially Charmian Carr and Kym Karath. Plummer is impeccable and makes an excellent pair with Andrews. Good dialogues help. In the secondary cast, I would highlight the good performance of Peggy Wood and Richard Haydn.

At a technical level, the excellent choice of filming locations, all or almost all in the Salzburg region in Austria, stands out. It doesn't matter the reality here. The film did not seek to be a documentary about the real Trapp family and therefore did not want to go to the real places where everything happened, but wanted to tell a story with glamor, with sweetness, based on their lives. And the film uses very beautiful and charming places to acquire great visual beauty. But even more interesting are the songs in the film. Almost all of them are worthy of memory and can be heard very easily, but I would especially highlight the title song "Sound of Music", as well as "So Long, Farewell", "How to Solve a Problem like Maria", "Edelweiss" and "Sixteen going on Seventeen". They are incredible.

Nominated for ten Oscars, he won five statuettes (Best Film, Best Director, Best Sound, Best Edition and Best Adapted Soundtrack), but the best award will certainly be the status of cultural icon that he has acquired over time.
pressbooksJun 4, 2019
Simply the best motion picture ever made, every ingrediant that went into this film I rate a 10, this was one of those rare "perfectly made movies."
TyranianApr 13, 2019
Has some classic songs and is well acted but will try the patience of non musical fans.
ahmedaiman1999Mar 18, 2019
As a fan of Musical films, I kept putting this movie off; waiting for just the right time to guarantee a fabulous and magical experience I usually get from such movies. So, I was shocked when I found myself not instantly invested. The firstAs a fan of Musical films, I kept putting this movie off; waiting for just the right time to guarantee a fabulous and magical experience I usually get from such movies. So, I was shocked when I found myself not instantly invested. The first sequence was so corny that rubbed me the wrong way, and I thought this is going to be the case with the rest of this movie. Fortunately, when I relaxed and just continued watching, the movie sucked me in in no time. Few and repetitive the songs are; they are, nonetheless, quite memorable and infectious. Also, the movie has some of the most hummable tunes ever written, and a fair amount of charming musical numbers which, unlike some of those in Mary Poppins, never overstay their welcome and don't seem stretched.

I'm able to digest schmaltzy, sugar-coated family and children films, I'm a huge fan of Disney Classics. But The Sound of Music isn't only a sugar-coated sweet musical film; it's coated and filled with sugar and chocolate even Willy Wonka's factory can't afford. Needless to say, I didn't find it so easy to enjoy this movie. I found many things hard to swallow such as the infuriating expository dialogue, that seem completely out of place amidst the glimmers of wit the characters show every now and then. However, I found almost every story-line quite riveting. There are some cheesy; yet so effective and engaging enchanting romances, and this movie really did take some risks and dealt with some serious issues through the protagonist Maria, played by the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Julie Andrews!

The story could be annoyingly predictable, but some aspects contain of original ingredients, while some others are encapsulated in a genuine framed to seem as fresh as ever. Another issue I had with this movie is that Ernest Lehman seems to be sure that we already believe that "The Magic of Music" can change one's mind in a blink of an eye. I know that the slightest cynicism would ruin this movie, but this is really more than I can handle.

All the above-mentioned problems pale in comparison with the major issue I have with this high-fructose musical. As I said, I was quite captivated and invested in the story with each one of its likable characters, and my heart was totally warmed. Then came the third act and brought the Nazis with it. I don't know how on earth could the Nazism have anything to do with this movie! Plausibility and reason aside, the "serious" tone that prevailed the third act clashed awfully with the sentimentality the movie is submerged in. Plus, Robert Wise failed to make his movie adjust with the serious tone, and ended up tackling the heavy themes in a most heavy-handed way. As a result, the movie left a bitter taste in my mouth after treating me with some unhealthy doses of sweet that I didn't mind at all.

The performances are impressively energetic and also sincere. The kids are all wonderful, especially Charmian Carr as Liesl, Angela Cartwright as Brigitta and Nicholas Hammond as Friedrich. Unlike Mary Poppins, Maria is plainly a flawed character, and this is exactly the role I needed to make sure that Julie Andrews is a really a talented actress who can effortlessly and gracefully conveys a lot of emotions with her magical sincerity. Christopher Plummer's performance, though, is the one who really standout for me. First things first, young Christopher Plummer looks exactly like Michael Fassbender and Christian Bale combined! :) Secondly, he gave one of the most charismatic performances I've ever seen as Captain Von Trapp. Thirdly, he elevated his character and brought it to life, although it is hindered badly by the script's issues. Eleanor Parker was really great as The Baroness, a character that might seem to be problematic at first glance, but I think it's actually a multi-layered character that really has some depth that gave the movie something special.

The Sound of Music is massively flawed, inconsistent corn-syrupy musical with a derivative and familiar story. But it's also irresistible, enthralling and undeniably charming family classic that, surprisingly, feels genuine!

Auf Wiedersehen!

(7/10)
JP32Dec 30, 2018
I love this movie. No, it's not that I simply think it is an exceptionally well-crafted piece of family entertainment. I do, but unlike almost any other film I've seen, The Sound of Music makes me feel something like real, genuine love. WhenI love this movie. No, it's not that I simply think it is an exceptionally well-crafted piece of family entertainment. I do, but unlike almost any other film I've seen, The Sound of Music makes me feel something like real, genuine love. When Julie Andrews sings, my heart swoons. Expand
amheretojudgeSep 1, 2018
an entertaining up beating musical..

The Sound Of Music The Sound Of Music is a character driven romantic musical about a chirpy girl that enters a cold house and enlightens it with her warmth, charm and sound. This era gave us some of the
an entertaining up beating musical..

The Sound Of Music

The Sound Of Music is a character driven romantic musical about a chirpy girl that enters a cold house and enlightens it with her warmth, charm and sound. This era gave us some of the best musicals of our time and one of those magical hats tossed this endearing tale that raises questions that were unanswered at that time. A love story set in a war time, is a concept that we have encountered multiple times but in here its distraction itself has its own rhythm to hum about. Dancing on its own beats, the dark concept is foliated with a light family drama and love track that makes it breezy and pleasing for the viewers. The choreography of all the musical numbers is aptly performed and created with an imaginative little ideas that factors in on the bigger picture. The writing is smarter and layered if not gripping and has a heart to it that connects instantly with the viewers. The background score is melodious with amazing sound department, up lifting and catchy songs and alluring costume design. It is rich on technical aspects like metaphorical cinematography and is shot beautifully with amazing camera work, stunning visuals and locations. Andrews is the star of the show with her riveting performance and sensational singing she is a force to be reckoned with and along the side is Plummer offering a disappointing one-dimensional portrayal. Wise has a compelling story to tell and he doesn't flinch on any frame of the feature, delivering the anticipated outcome thoroughly to its audience. Amazing songs, visuals, morale conflicts and Andrews at the heart of it are the high points of the feature. The Sound Of Music is at its best nail biting complex drama and at its low an entertaining up beating musical.
LivingTribunalMay 20, 2018
It is one of the best musical movie in cinema history. I don't know why rating is this low, but I like this classical movie. I felt like watching 'Gone with The Wind'. I cannot believe that this movie is more than 50 years old.