A24 | Release Date: May 17, 2019
Watch Now
Watch Now
Buy on
JLuis_001Aug 4, 2019
I'm quite confused as to the positive reviews this film received because I couldn't find those merits attributed to it.

Its plot is supposed to be a story of maturity, a coming of age story outside the basic mold of stupid teenagers and yet this experience is devoid of functionality when its two main characters are poor in empathy and sympathy.
Certainly functional for the kind of relationship they carry but it's ironic to think that a film that also falls within the romantic genre is so unromantic, since everything in their relationship seems to be based on opportunism and need.

Undoubtedly The Souvenir is a sober film and is filmed in an elegant way but that in no way justifies its narrative poverty because sincerely leaving aside its cinematographic quality its protagonists are not characters with whom you want to spend a lot of time.

And I'm totally amazed and baffled that the credits announce that a sequel is coming. I cannot think a single argument that justifies it.