Image Entertainment | Release Date: August 31, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 64 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
Friskytiger81Aug 31, 2012
What it lacks in terror and gore it makes up for in premise. Once you see what's going on, you'll applaud the effort if not totally satisfied by it. Interesting, but there's a lot of plot holes and plausibility issues.
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
The Tall Man tries very hard to be something it's not, a Stephen King story. Parts of this film reek with King's influence, but I don't think he'd be all that thrilled about it. When the film first started I thought it was a pretty goodThe Tall Man tries very hard to be something it's not, a Stephen King story. Parts of this film reek with King's influence, but I don't think he'd be all that thrilled about it. When the film first started I thought it was a pretty good movie, but by the end I was just confused. The story follows a local resident in the town of Cold Rock, who has taken over her husband's medical practice after he passed away. That resident is played by Jessica Biel, whose performance and looks are really the only reason to watch this movie. In the town of Cold Rock, the children have been disappearing without a trace and the only thing people have seen is a tall man, dressed in black, leaving the scene. Some people say he's an urban legend, while others claim to have witnessed his abductions, and the whole town is terrified. I found it kind of funny that in a town crippled by fear, not knowing whose child could be next, the kids parents, let them ride their bikes to the store and let them play alone in the fields, it's just one of many parts of this film that just off. As I said, the beginning of this film is terrific, but then it gets weirder and weirder and builds to a conclusion that doesn't make any damn sense! I know this must of have been someone's passion and that they spent years developing it, but before you released it to the public, did you bother to watch it? Jessica Biel is sexy and a terrific actress who is way too good to be doing b-movies like this. If you're a die-hard fan, check it out, she's great, but if you're not, I'd definitely stay away from this one. Expand
MegWhiteleyAug 31, 2012
A new horror movie, what happen? Any new, is good, have some creepy moments, the performances are regular, have some problems in the development. The Tall Man don't have something new, but scares.
RikiegeJan 27, 2013
A horror film that could be a lesson to parents.
JeanDuchampDec 10, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nope, this is not a good one. First of all, it's not a horror movie, as it claims to be. And I don't mean it fails as gory or jump-scare movie or creepy expectation-building movie or torture movie or survival or revenge or whatever horror sub-genre movie - no, it's nothing to do with the horror genre at all. It's some potpourri from the thriller, psychological drama, action movie, social drama, detective movie and cheesy family drama. A patchwork of styles and genres implanted in a frame of dilapidated and badly lit surroundings populated by featureless folk whose sole and unique characteristic is to disappear from your memory the same moment they disappear from the screen.

A young mother possessing some qualities of the liquid terminator rushes in a mortal battle for her beloved child . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but the things are not as they seem, everything is different, wow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and again everything is different, wow once more . . . . . . . . . . . . . . as it happens that everything is so cute and cozy! End.

Yes, there are some twists in the plot, but they give no sparkle of inspiration, only make the movie more dull and boring. Every scene alludes to something already seen. Dialogs are staged and plain. Many inconsistencies and bungles. Surely not the worst movie I'd seen in my life, but assuredly one of those I could manage easily without.