Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: August 25, 1939
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 440 Ratings
Watch Now
mds03Apr 13, 2013
Absolutely horrifying, but that doesn't mean it's not great. Definitely the most original and entertaining movie of its time. I really want there to be a remake.
westbrook21Jun 29, 2013
A true classic. The Wizard of OZ engages viewers young and old throughout. Very easy to forget how long ago this film was made because of its good picture and sound quality
FilmVirtueMay 26, 2014
The film adaption of the acclaimed story couldn't be more entertaining when combined with the works of a talented director and the even better talents from the films signature cast.
JPKDec 7, 2019
Unforgettable
Even 80 years later, The Wizard Of Oz is still one of the best movies ever made.
kwbmusicmanJul 6, 2012
This film is beyond classic status now. I can't imagine film without it. The characters are so wonderful and the story is simple and elegant. The music is absolutely top-notch. Please watch this film and share it with your friends, families,This film is beyond classic status now. I can't imagine film without it. The characters are so wonderful and the story is simple and elegant. The music is absolutely top-notch. Please watch this film and share it with your friends, families, and especially with your children (if you have them). Expand
LaMagiadeVirueAug 1, 2013
Una película de fantasía musical inocente, atractiva y perfecta. Uno de los mejores clásicos, y. de mis películas preferidas, es sutilmente perfecta.
GamecubeLoverJul 20, 2016
Whoever hates the wizard of oz is rather retarded or lying to their self. This movie is an instant classic and the movie has great characters good acting and much more. See it now! Well everybody should have seen this movie at least once!
dis_staVANApr 5, 2013
I watch. Watch good. VCR break. Went to shop. Told VCR no work. I know. Told buy DVD. No money. Go home. Now sad. Write review. 3/10 stars. Dis stavan.
Spielberg00Sep 15, 2011
I still cannot take it into my mind how exactly THE WIZARD OF OZ is a classic. For about two years, it was my favorite film ever, but that was between the ages of 6 and 8--when I really hadn't seen anything decent at all. That's surely not toI still cannot take it into my mind how exactly THE WIZARD OF OZ is a classic. For about two years, it was my favorite film ever, but that was between the ages of 6 and 8--when I really hadn't seen anything decent at all. That's surely not to say that this is in any way a bad film. Sure, it started the whole "Oh, well, really, I woke up, and I realized--the whole thing was all a dream!" concept that began to become an old joke as soon as it started, but, looking at the glass halfway full rather than halfway empty, at least this started something. And, to add to that, it's been, what...72 years since this was first realized? Unlike many of the other films of the late '30s, this definitely isn't one of those titles that I could name out of a total grab bag and you would say, "What's that?" or, "Nope, I don't recognize it." Instead, if I said this film's title, you would most likely say, "Oh, yeah! I remember seeing that!" Expand
Trev29Aug 27, 2012
This movie is such a classic and such an important movie to cinema. I do appreciate this movie so much, but I can't pretend like I actually am in love with this movie. Who cares what I say though....it is a must see.
MovieGuysSep 19, 2013
How could you not be captivated and engrossed by this movie that changed filmmaking forever? This movie goes far and beyond your wildest dreams. Even for 1939, this movie changed everything I know about movies and the way films are perceived today.
toeheadterrorsApr 19, 2011
i love the friendship of Dorothy and her companions, no matter what happens they stick together. Perhaps that's why it strikes such a chord with us all.
csw12Apr 2, 2012
A classic like no other. It is simple but deep. Its message resonates in everyone. One of the greatest movies of all time. You will leave the movie feeling you watch something of a true genius.
DamienDarko777May 6, 2011
The quintessential fantasy film. Everyone should see it at least once. Not only is it great fun, it slyly embodies great wisdom. A masterpiece of cinema.
4EverGreenFeb 16, 2011
I consider this movie to be the birth of the modern movie film industry, mainly because this cinematic masterpiece set a high standard for all movies to measure themselves against for many years to come! The songs and music are absolutelyI consider this movie to be the birth of the modern movie film industry, mainly because this cinematic masterpiece set a high standard for all movies to measure themselves against for many years to come! The songs and music are absolutely perfect, the choreography is amazing, every line said is a memorable one, the settings, paintings, props, and make-up used to create the unique location, characters, and objects featured in the land of Oz are absolutely incredible (especially when you consider this film was made way back in 1939!) All of the actors play their roles to perfection. When they experience something, you believe they are experiencing it! This is one of the films that I was first raised on, and one that I enjoy as much as I do today as I have when I was growing up. Time has been powerless to make any of the special effects (which can still hold their own even against modern C.G.I. efforts) feel like they are antiques, and the amount of effort and skill required to completely pull this movie together is nothing short of incredible! This is a film you will want to watch, to see what it's like for someone to go somewhere over the rainbow, follow a yellow brick road, go off to see the wizard in the merry old land of Oz, and watch characters singing about what it would be like to have a brain, a heart, or the nerve! I highly enjoy this movie, and so will all cinematic movie enthusiasts of all ages who enjoy seeing quality movies! Enough said! Expand
Ips207Mar 15, 2012
Never gets old. i watched the movie at the age of 6, i still think its a beautiful fantasy musical with some pretty good songs that you won't forget. It's definitely a must-watch to all those kiddies out there.
MichaelDApr 10, 2011
I have to say this movie is not my type but since it's a classic, you may as well watch it.
lasttimeisawApr 16, 2013
My early plan to watch Sam Raimi’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL (2013) has been successfully foiled by the tepid reviews and in fear of another ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010, 6/10) travesty, then it stroke to me that I had never even watched theMy early plan to watch Sam Raimi’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL (2013) has been successfully foiled by the tepid reviews and in fear of another ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010, 6/10) travesty, then it stroke to me that I had never even watched the worldly-famous 1939 version, it must be a presumably safe and better alternative.

I’m indisputably way past the age which will be exalting to watch this family-friendly vaudeville for the very first time, I wish I could have done that around my childhood year so I would be more in shock-and-awe admiration for this haute crowd-pleaser and ground-breaking studio-based product.

It all begins in Kansas, young Dorothy lives in a farm with his uncle and auntie, (after a melancholic rendition of OVER THE RAINBOW, still astounding and flawless) her tentative runaway with her cuddly puppy Toto has been persuaded by Professor Marvel (a very first introduction of multi-personae performance from Frank Morgan), en route, a twister rampages the farm and Dorothy and Toto (along with the house) has been brought to Wizard Oz’s wonderland with the casualty of a star-crossed wicked witch (crushed by the house accidentally), and the shoddy superimposition of the airborne journey may be cutting-edge 74 years earlier, sadly it barely works even under an uncritical eye.

The tangible visual transference from sepia farmland to the variegated Oz land grants a soothing refreshment and heralds a jovial adventure ahead, sing-a-longs with DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD (new entry at No. 2 in this week at UK Singles Chart in the wake of Thatcher’s death), it is just carefree and mollifying one’s hard-pressed nerves (if you have those). Then the classic characters (Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion) successively accompany Dorothy to meet the great and mighty Oz.

Despite of its all-comprising industry-reeking indoor design, it is a marvel how the film could be made in such a laborious scale and obedient order at its time, entering the second half of the film, when insouciant singing-and-dancing gives its way to the escapade of taking back the broomstick of The Wicked Witch of the West, all the set pieces are incontrovertibly stale and the logic of the story sags into an untenable farce (no specific elucidation of how the witch would succumb to a basin of water or what is so special about the red shoes the witch is hankering for, et al). The guarded-gate of the witch’s castle must be the recipient of the homage from Sauron’s gate from THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Acting-wise, Judy Garland is humble, mawkish but naturalistic in delivering jejune lines, Bert Lahr’s Lion and Ray Bolger’s Scarecrow otherwise are the film’s best offers, also Margaret Hamilton’s heinous witch, simply wish she had more venom to spill.

Overall, it is a cartoon-ish adaption of children’s best-known bedtime story, may be predisposed to be an overrated sensation which stands flimsily after a serious filmic anatomy, but the bent of director Victor Fleming and his crew has been testified positively through the arduous endeavour, and one can still relish 75-or-so years after its inception.
KristianBKAug 13, 2014
A timeless classic. Great performances, memorable music, brilliant screenplay are all a part of this heart-warming movie. Great movie then, great movie still today.
ssheridan97Nov 5, 2014
The Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie of all time. The plot is deals with good trying to defeat evil, as well as a group of friends trying to find their meaning in life. i love the voices that are used in the movie. Every character isThe Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie of all time. The plot is deals with good trying to defeat evil, as well as a group of friends trying to find their meaning in life. i love the voices that are used in the movie. Every character is extremely different yet they coincide with each other. Dorothy is very calm and quiet, The Tin-Man is very outspoken and loves to be the center of attention, The Scarecrow is clumsy and funny and The Cowardly Lion is very boisterous and loud but on the inside he is really timid and scared. I love that the movie includes many genres of movies to capture the audience. These include comedy, action, drama, suspense and even to some extent, horror. The movie is a great depiction of a group of people traveling together, going through struggles and trials. By the movie containing so many different characters I can relate that to normal life. We all need people to help us get through tough times, no matter our differences. Other characters also play a key role in this movie. The Wicked Witch of The West plays an evil witch who is trying to capture Dorothy to obtain her ruby slippers for more power. This is a great twist to the movie which makes it suspenseful and scary. The Wizard of Oz is portrayed as a supernatural being who people are scared of. In the end he is discovered as only a human being and actually helps Dorothy get back to Kansas. I give this movie an overall rating of ten because of the story, the characters, the different twists in the movie and the overall meaning and ending of the movie. Expand
bonidexMar 28, 2011
I saw this in 2011 and thought what a perfect movie it is. It is simple, beautiful, has great acting and speaks to the heart. I'm off to the see the wizard. The wonderful wizard of Oz...
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A very cogently written classic with memorable characters and imagery.
SachiDec 6, 2011
The Wizard of OZ is a nice children's film that is a delight to watch as well as provides a smart historical connection that is just unforgettable. The morals and lessons that the movie provides are very astounding and the musicals can getThe Wizard of OZ is a nice children's film that is a delight to watch as well as provides a smart historical connection that is just unforgettable. The morals and lessons that the movie provides are very astounding and the musicals can get really annoying though. The plot is fairly simple but very well crafted as you will be drawn into the plot, it wont break your brain or force you to overthink so it is a nice fun plot. The acting is very good as the transitions are great too. The script is very well written and emotionally profounding that is so easily remembered. The relationships of the characters and their depths and progression through the story is so great that it strikes a chord with us all. There are hardly any flaws in the movie except for too many musicals that it becomes just darn annoying and some emphasis is lost due to it but this is such a minor flaw. Overall, The Wizard of Oz is a great movie that is so great that it will forever be remembered like "The Godfather". Breakdown for "The Wizard of Oz": Presentation: 9.8, Plot: 9.9, Acting: 10, Dialogue: 10, Lasting Appeal: 10, Verdict: 9.9 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
This 1939 classic is, without a doubt, the greatest film ever made. Aside from legendary innovations in filmmaking, this movie-musical version transcends the book and sets a new bar for not only film musical numbers but also on-screenThis 1939 classic is, without a doubt, the greatest film ever made. Aside from legendary innovations in filmmaking, this movie-musical version transcends the book and sets a new bar for not only film musical numbers but also on-screen performances. Two of The Academy's greatest snubs: The Wizard of Oz and Judy Garland losing for Best Picture and Best Actress. Expand
DelixuMay 19, 2012
Without a shadow of doubt, one of the greatest films ever made, and the greatest children movie ever made. Watching The Wizard of Oz is an something one must do in a lifetime, at least a couple dozen times. Brilliant.
pensaulOct 5, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The technical colors is brilliant, the film is provided for all age s of viewers. For those viewers who like adventure, fantasy, comedy and musical entertainment; This film follows Dorothy along the yellow brick road in which she encounters meeting new friends and adventures. The story has a life lesson, that shows how we may already have what we think we want on the other side of the fence, per say, and discover, as Dorothy says, with her friends and family there really is "no place like home." Expand
AngelofMusicDTJan 18, 2013
This has been my favorite movie since I was a little kid. The story line is a classic from the book though its a slightly bit different. Judy Garland is one of my favorite actresses and she is the main reason I keep watching this movie. MyThis has been my favorite movie since I was a little kid. The story line is a classic from the book though its a slightly bit different. Judy Garland is one of my favorite actresses and she is the main reason I keep watching this movie. My children will watch this movie as they grow up. Expand
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Even the new kids have to see this unbelievably great classic with great visuals for its time and spectacular acting! The acting choices are so great that even Toto the dog was a fantastic choice! It's definitely worth more than a few re-watches.
LilScienceAug 7, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Um dos clássico de Hollywood, estrelando a grande estrela Judy Garland, que dispensa apresentações; fazendo a Dorothy ela traz o musical a um novo patamar, uma lição para os aspirantes a novas atrizes, acompanhado do Leão, Homem de Lata e o Espantalho vão a caminho do mágico OZ para conseguir o que desejam, o Homem de Lata (Coração), Leão (Coragem), Espantalho (Cérebro) e Dorothy a ajuda de poder voltar para a casa e no fim o desfecho de tudo traz uma reflexão aos nossos sonhos, se quisermos podemos ir para qualquer lugar, e isso que Dorothy fez.

A produção dos anos 30 é impecável, algo bem a frente do tempo até para os dias de hoje, assim como os efeitos especiais de primeira qualidade, e também uma ótima estética nas cores bem distribuídas, sem falar no elenco que foi bem selecionado, como a Bruxa Boa e Bruxa Mãe, atuação 100%.

Finalizando, de longe Judy Garland se mostra uma das maiores artistas que atua e canta lindamente ao mesmo tempo, esse foi o começo de uma carreira além de memorável, é icônica!
EpicLadySpongeFeb 3, 2016
In order to keep my strength going, I must review more movies. Likely, I've heard the Wizard of Oz is a good movie to review. It was released a very long time ago... so don't expect bad reviews from this.... except for the scumbags who likesIn order to keep my strength going, I must review more movies. Likely, I've heard the Wizard of Oz is a good movie to review. It was released a very long time ago... so don't expect bad reviews from this.... except for the scumbags who likes to give every movie a bad review. Expand
FuturedirectorJul 9, 2017
The Wizard of Oz (re-release) as any other great re-release of its class, is still showing the classic's picture masterful interpretations, cool music and the same depth message to the whole audience.
VirgonoShakaJan 7, 2019
A classic in every sense of the way, that while measured on modern standards would be terrible, considering the time stamp can only be lauded for its production design, acting and delightful cheesiness. Although I may confess wanting theA classic in every sense of the way, that while measured on modern standards would be terrible, considering the time stamp can only be lauded for its production design, acting and delightful cheesiness. Although I may confess wanting the Wicked Witch to win, I had a blast. Expand
MonkiReviewsJul 10, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot. The singing was enjoyable, and gets stuck in your head. The characters are memorable, and classics. It is worth a watch for sure, it was great.
robertoiglesiasJan 31, 2020
I love this movie. The characters are likable, the songs are stellar, the visuals are nice, the story is nice, and I just love it.
Plus, this movie also gave Return to Oz and Oz the Great and Powerful: 2 films that I also enjoy.
amheretojudgeMay 9, 2018
there is no place like home..

The Wizard Of Oz It is one of those cult classic features that happen to have everything in the right place; from characters to performance and from script to execution. The adaptation is short and smart that
there is no place like home..

The Wizard Of Oz

It is one of those cult classic features that happen to have everything in the right place; from characters to performance and from script to execution. The adaptation is short and smart that covers up every essential information and emotion from the novel and helps connect easily with the audience. Victor Flemming has done a decent work on executing the tale and it works for the major part of it because of his affection and passion towards conveying the right message. The performance is not outstanding but definitely admirable, especially when on creating comic sequences. The Wizard Of Oz not only works as a whole project, but score majestically on technical aspects too like costume design, production design, background score, choreography and songs that helps celebrate it on such large scale.
BeatrixKiddoNov 10, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a great cinematic masterpiece.. and no, it's not only for kids.. l loved it. Expand
FilipeNetoFeb 23, 2018
Dorothy Gale is a young girl who lives on a farm in Kansas, but a tornado drag her to a magical land where she will have to go through various adventures in order to return. Directed by a team led by Victor Fleming, this movie has script byDorothy Gale is a young girl who lives on a farm in Kansas, but a tornado drag her to a magical land where she will have to go through various adventures in order to return. Directed by a team led by Victor Fleming, this movie has script by Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson, Edgar Allan Woolf and others. The cast is headed by Judy Garland and Frank Morgan.

We are facing one of the most famous films of all time, the precursor of musical, fantasy and adventure films. And its no coincidence that many of its scenes were in collective memory. It was a milestone for cinema, and almost all saw it, in movies, television, DVD or any other. The script is very interesting and takes children and adults to the child's imagination, plenty of witches, fairies, beautiful and impossible things. There are no dead moments, everything is perfect. The editing of the film was made carefully and photography, with a striking contrast between scenes in vivid colors and sepia scenes, marked the "border" between our world and the magical world of Oz. All this was innovative for its time.

The characters in this film have become iconic. The Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion have become paradigms of the potential untapped of human beings, people who seek to overcome their own insecurities and flaws. Dorothy has been an ideal of goodness and virtue, and her puppy an example of loyalty. In turn, the wizard ends up making the connection between the two worlds. Garland had it so good in this film that just famous and was one of the most acclaimed actresses of the golden age of American cinema.

The film also has several special effects, rudimentary and limited to existing technical, but functional and effective. The soundtrack of the film is perhaps one of the most remembered today. It mainly composed by Harold Arlen and has filled the movie with delightful musical moments. One of them, "Over the Rainbow," earned the Oscar for Best Original Song and its an icon even today. The film has also won the statuette for Best Soundtrack and was nominated for the categories of Best Film (1940), Best Color Cinematography, Best Art Direction and Best Special Effects.
MarvelJoeMar 11, 2019
It makes me so happy seeing people watching this all time classic. This movie aged very well by others and will always be the best movie of all time.
zabianJul 12, 2018
they brought back the greatest movie of all time!! it was the first movie to feature color
BeboFettJul 18, 2019
A classic musical; a fairy tale story captured in the best way according to its time, in fact, technically it is extraordinary.
gabrielanoriSep 27, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is a classic, never gets old! A child or an adult can watch and will fell entertained. With good characters and a great plot, The Wizard of OZ is a turning point in the history of movies and books.
The production in the movie is impeccable as well as special effects, sound quality, good picture, and also great aesthetics in well-distributed colors.
It is a perfect story, far beyond their time, there is suspense, hope, fear, and happiness through an intense plot that tells about a group of friends trying to find their meaning in life.
sdumersSep 18, 2020
Off to see the Wizard!! Very iconic and influential film that is my personal for melt movies or movies with melt moments!